[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I make a good ramen broth? None of that Manuchan or whatever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

File: menchanko_tei_shoyu_ramen1.jpg (541KB, 1250x1164px) Image search: [Google]
menchanko_tei_shoyu_ramen1.jpg
541KB, 1250x1164px
How do I make a good ramen broth?

None of that Manuchan or whatever packaged noodle shit.
>>
>>7098809
>>>/jp/
>>
Kombu, dashi, miso pastes, etcc. You need Japanese ingredients.
>>
>>7098809
Its all about that dashi stock dude.
You can buy some dashi powered stock at your asian market.

http://www.justonecookbook.com/how_to/how-to-make-dashi-jiru/
>>
>>7098809
pork bones man
>>
>>7098809
Depends on what kind you want. Tonkotsu ramen broth is made by simmering the garbagy parts of the pig (heads if you can get them, but trotters and rib bones will be fine) for long periods of time to get all the gelatin and meaty flavors out. Shoyu broth im pretty sure is just dashi with some soy sauce added to it. Ditto miso broth, dashi with some tempered miso paste whisked in. If you're going dashi, you either want to get kombu, bonito flakes, and maybe some dried mushrooms, or buy some of those tea-bag type things you simmer in water. Those have actual kombu and fish in them, the granules and concentrates are usually a lot of msg and salt for flavor and not much for aroma or anything.
>>
File: TalapiaStock.jpg (94KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
TalapiaStock.jpg
94KB, 720x960px
It depends what you call a "ramen" broth as it can be anything.
I made an amazing broth for my home-made ramen once. What I did:

I went to the Asian grocery next to my house and bought a whole talapia, a package of dried mushrooms and coconut milk.

I set the fish, dried shrooms, onion, and bell pepper. I cooked it for about 4-5 hours, then drained out everything leaving just the broth. I added the coconut milk and brought it back to hot and cooked it for an hour more to incorporate the flavors. It was really delish.

Otherwise you can buy Dashi, which is dried fish stock.
>>
>>7099916
>using a meme fish in meme soup
>>
>soup
I was making stock, I didn't intend to use the fish but for fish flavor; I didn't even eat it after I strained it out. did you even read anything in here before you posted?
>>
>>7099705

Yep nd pretty informative too. Also buy the fresh noodles and stew some pork belly if you want the authentic toppings
>>
>>7098809
Serious question, how do you eat that? Do you pick up each thing individually and eat it separately, or mash it up in the bowl or something?
>>
>>7100380
Your left hand holds the spoon, the right hand holds the chopsticks. You use both hands
>>
>>7100380
I personally make a mouthful of soup with each bite. Put noodles and stuff in mouth with right hand chopsticks, spoon of broth with left hand, mineature whole soup in mouth
>>
You should use pressure cooker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TqkQhvsIRs
>>
>>7100380
You hold the bowl up to your face and sip the broth from it.
>>
Secret to really good ramen is dried seahorse.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wa0umYJVGg
>>
>>7098815
This is the cooking board you fucking faggot.

>>7098809
OP, it depends on the style. Shoyu, and Tonkatsu style are easier. Shio is harder, because it is a lighter broth.

Look up momofuku's recipe, or Ivan Ramen for two different styles of preparation.
>>
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/02/how-to-make-tonkotsu-ramen-broth-at-home-recipe.html
to be quite honest with you, my family member, this is something I do once a year and I love it
>>
>>7102656
Why are you trying to write like a retard?
>>
>>7098809

There's so many different kinds, be more specific, friend.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/02/how-to-make-tonkotsu-ramen-broth-at-home-recipe.html

Absolutely fantastic recipe for Tonkotsu ramen.
>>
>>7099916

looks like the fish is still alive, in panic about being eaten

like his eyes are saying "what da fuck man don't do this to me"
>>
>>7102656

fucking beat me to it, didn't read the thread 'til finish
>>
I tried to make egg-drop ramen
Is that what it's supposed to look like?

(I took a picture before eating it but it wasn't saved for some reason so here it is already part eaten)
>>
File: 20151123_184733-1600x1200.jpg (296KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20151123_184733-1600x1200.jpg
296KB, 1600x1200px
>>7102747
Of course I forget to attach the pic
>>
File: ramen.jpg (191KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ramen.jpg
191KB, 1024x768px
>>7102747
it's
you just
drop an egg
drop it right in there
that's why it's called egg drop
>>
>>7102656
>>7102675
so why does he pick out all the marrow and blood from the bones?
what's wrong with a brown stock?
wouldn't all the blood and bone junk make the soup taste better?
>>
>>7102841

I dunno about "Better", but it would certainly be different.

Most Chinese stocks are made by blanching the bones first to remove any blood, then the stock is made from there. Western stocks tend to skip that blanching step. You could do whichever you like.
>>
>>7102770
I thought you beat the egg until smooth and then slowly drizzled the beaten egg into the broth, slowly stirring it into the simmering soup with chopsticks or something similarly thin
>>
>>7102841
He said they tasted almost identical and he just wanted a cleaner color
Personally I prefer my stock dirty as fuck so I will try to find the dirtiest looking bones in my area. Also work in a shop that breaks down piggies, so I get plenty of bones from there too when i want
>>
>>7102849
I guess I'm just thinking that bones are tasty and blood and marrow are too
but I guess everybody like different things
>>
>>7102851
That's also a thing you can do but it isn't dropping.
>>
>>7102854

I think they're very tasty. But not in a light broth.
>>
File: IMG_20150203_183719.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150203_183719.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>7102770
that looks quite good!
Here is my try at an egg drop miso soup
>>
>>7102863
It may not be "dropping" per the literal definition of the word, but in the case of egg drop soup it's the standard procedure.
>>
>>7098818
>You need Japanese ingredients
No you do not.
>>
>>7098809
You will definitely need a ramen paddle.
You can get them from J-List or other Japanese retailer.
Absolutely essential.
>>
>>7102895
the same procedure is used for fried rice and it sure as hell isn't called "egg drop rice"
>>
File: wat.jpg (23KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
23KB, 600x512px
>>7102904
>>
>>7103421

Yes. And? So what? Does it bother your autism that the name of the dish doesn't exactly match how it is made?
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>7103467
No, you're just wrong.
egg drop ramen is exactly what it sounds like.
>>
>>7098809
What kind of broth, friendo? Different broths need different ingredients.

Tonkotsu: Pork bones, some vegetation like onion

Miso: Miso and dashi

Shoyu: I'm not sure, I think soy sauce?
>>
>>7102927
Nigga what the fuck's a ramen paddle?

If you mean that flat wide thing to stir it, just use a spatula.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.