[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the secret to a good bolognese sauce? You got the original

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

File: 3242345835.jpg (235KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
3242345835.jpg
235KB, 1500x1125px
Whats the secret to a good bolognese sauce?

You got the original ragu alla bolognese recipes, you got xxx-country - meat sauce recipes and more variatons.

Some suggest red vine, some white. Some want you to put in milk, others beef broth and/or carrots/celery. Some only use salt and pepper, while others use bay leaves and oregano.
>>
Honestly, the best bolognese sauce always must simmer for a long time. Really my number 1 requirement.

As far as garnish that sets it apart, Adding some basil is a great thing. I add thai basil though, I like the flavor more and I have a plant.
>>
>>7095512
Damn, that looks good.
>>
>>7095518
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/12/the-food-lab-slow-cooked-bolognese-sauce-recipe.html

Petty "strange" recipe.

>>7095516
What do use to keep the sauce fluid? How long do you cook it and do you got a recipe?
>>
>>7095523
I hate that autist. I can't stand his recipes.

He needs to get a fucking grip.
>>
>>7095529
Wait, what's wrong with the recipe?
>>
3:2 ratio of pork to beef. Minced and needs to be 20% fat, not that lean shit. That just turns to bullets.

Soffritto (i.e. fine diced celery/carrot/onion) as a base.

Red wine, sage.

600g chopped San marzanos will do about 500g of meat.

Cook for at least 5hrs.

Season.
>>
>>7095512
I really like this recipe. It has milk and chicken liver in it so beware if you're easily triggered.

http://fxcuisine.com/Default.asp?language=2&Display=150&resolution=high
>>
>>7095540

Oh shit and chicken stock (personal choice).

The dark kind.

I make it by roasting chicken carcasses(rubbed with a bit of tomato puree) until brown.

Do the rest in the same way as you'd make stock. Leave the skin on the onions and garlic when doing so. Black peppercorns are a good addition too
>>
>>7095534
Nothing. Chicken liver is great in Bolognese and fish sauce never hurts.
>>
>>7095512
yeah well, if you are cooking red meat you use red wine and why the fuck would you put milk in it. Carrots and celery are nice
>>
>>7095540
this

although i prefer mostly beef with a small amount of high fat content pork like pork belly

maybe 3:1 beef:pork
>>
>>7095540
>>7095613

Just realised I got the ratios the wrong way round.

Should have been 3:2 beef to pork, so not to too dissimilar to you

Sorry, I'm tired
>>
>make an italian friend's mother's bolognese sauce (learned while in europe)
>since american, told that I should serve with spaghetti noodles
>don't like spaghetti, use fettuccine or tagliatelle because I like them more
>come on malaysian quilting forum, find out it's the traditional way

neat
>>
>>7095633
the flat pasta is for meat based sauce that have a lot of content

if you use something like spaghetti with ragu bolognese it just falls off and you only are left with some of the liquid
>>
>>7095580
>why the fuck would you put milk in it

because it's one of the traditional ingredients

http://www.itchefs-gvci.com/?option=com_content&view=article&id=461&Itemid=855

http://www.itchefs-gvci.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=587&Itemid=976
>>
>>7095633
>don't like spaghetti
what? You don't like spaghetti but like other similar pastas? This sounds like some real crazy picky eating shit, its incredibly illogical
>>
>>7095633
I think I now know what they really found at Roswell
>>
>>7095653
It makes a whole lot of sense because pastas aren't all alike - that's why there are so many varieties.
>>
>>7095653
Thin noodles aren't going to have as much sauce cling to them. Spaghetti works well for memebonara because the eggs help the sauce adhere to the pasta. For a bolognese, spaghetti is thin and isn't going to let you pick up chunks of delicious simmered meat easily, so a tagliatelle or pappardelle will work better.
>>
>>7095653
heard of preference?

they didn't say they hate spaghetti
>>
>>7095669
I've always used short pasta like tortiglioni, gonna try tagliatelle tomorrow if i can manage to get some celery
>>
>>7095676
Post pics when it happens.
>>
>>7095653
same guy here

I don't hate spaghetti noodles, I just prefer other ones.
>>
>>7095646

Seems loco to me friend.

Anyway, there is no 'traditional' ragù in Italy -it varies hugely from place to place, and from household to household.

For some reason, the concept of a 'ragù alla bolognese' seems to have become widespread.

What's traditional anyway? The first recipe for it must have been Artusi's and that ain't got no milk:

http://ricette.doctissimo.it/pasta/pasta-corta/maccheroni-alla-bolognese-dell-artusi.html
>>
File: 1443899313069.jpg (26KB, 510x476px) Image search: [Google]
1443899313069.jpg
26KB, 510x476px
>>7095713
>there is no 'traditional' ragù in Italy

did you even read the OP

jesus christ this is American level stupidity
>>
>>7095713
Yeah, but it's not something like cream in carbonara because there are regional recipes that use milk including some from the 19th century.

I've tried both variants and prefer it with milk but then I also use herbs, chicken liver and wine.
>>
>>7095523
add more fucking water! the purpose of simmering is to break down the meat and make it tender. the excess liquid will just boil away when you simmer it, so keep adding water as needed to simmer as long as needed
>>
>>7095512
red wine, mirepoix, beef *stock*, fish sauce, and proper spice blend (salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, basil, bay leaf, parsley) are all recommended for a good sauce
>>
>>7095512
>Whats the secret to a good bolognese sauce?

Simmer time.

The longer you let it simmer, the more tender the meat becomes, and the more the flavors blend together.
>>
I agree with the simmering. I've always just used Ramsay's recipe but left out the cream because it not only makes it taste bizarre but it gives it a weird ass I-threw-up-a-cheeseburger look.

I always thought there was something missing from it, like a little punch, so I added a couple pinches of chili powder and a very small pinch of cumin and I was not fucking disappointed. Seriously, try it.
>>
heat oil in pan
add onions
add fatty beef mince
add jar of supermarket own brand tomato sauce
add chilli sauce
add cadburys chocolate buttons
add al dente pasta (conchigli-something? the shell-like ones)
simmer until pasta is ready
done
>>
Is it normal for bolognese sauce to be so sweet? I followed a recipe and it called for 2 tbspoons of sugar and it was too sweet.

Should I just use 1 tbspoon next time or not use sugar at all?
>>
>>7096006
what the fuck that's a fuck ton of sugar especially if you use a shit ton of red wine
>>
>>7096006
how old are you, 12?
do whatever the fuck works best for you. welcome to life. thank me later.
>>
>>7096006
sugar is only to fix shitty tomatoes acidity
>>
The secret is Knorr beef stockpot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rfOK6A5ZZs
>>
Heston Blumenthal adds a cup of fish sauce.
>>
File: ragu.jpg (90KB, 750x421px) Image search: [Google]
ragu.jpg
90KB, 750x421px
>>7095918
italian here
this is the best reply, use a pot pic related and leave it to simmer on low for a shitton of time
>>
>>7096006
no sugar at all unless you're used to eating overly sweet store bought sauces and love how they taste
>>
File: Coffee_pasta_sainsburys.jpg (232KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
Coffee_pasta_sainsburys.jpg
232KB, 950x534px
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.