[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I make/cook a cheesteak? What kind of meat is required?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 13

File: 4L_1lYdCaMB.jpg (3MB, 2736x3648px) Image search: [Google]
4L_1lYdCaMB.jpg
3MB, 2736x3648px
How do I make/cook a cheesteak? What kind of meat is required?
>>
>>7092928
Always use mutton
>>
Get a good ass steak, slice it as thin as humanely possible, grill 'er up to your liking in a good skillet with bell peppers, mushrooms, and onions, throw it all on a toasted roll and top it with melted Cheez Whiz (or use provolone if you can't bring yourself to do it the right way).
>>
Take top round, slice extremely thin, cook with desired vegetables on griddle, place on "hoagie" roll, throw away cheez wiz or american cheese, put some decent cheese on top, eat.

The nice thing about making it yourself rather than going to Pat's or Geno's is that you're not under any social pressure to get processed cheese if you don't want to.
>>
Buy some steak umz. Cook with onion and bell peppers. Throw on a hoagie with chez whiz. Wa la!
>>
>>7092944
>cheese wiz
>the right way

the actual good places in philly use provolone

you are not respecting the steak when you pair it with cheese wiz

>>7092928

Top round is your basic value option. In my location, top round is about twice as expensive as chicken breast.

you can upgrade if you're wealthy or its a special occasion and you could use beef tenderloin

>tfw i make a philly cheesesteak every week
>tfw today is philly cheese friday
>>
>>7092962
your post makes me like you
>>
>>7092962
when it's done post a pic of that cheesesteak brah
>>
>>7092979

Today's cheesesteak will not be noteworthy enough for a picture-- I'm poor at the moment and I only have cheddar in the fridge. Plus no bell peppers.

This is my current ingredient list basically:
>cheap hoagie
>cheese (provolone>cheddar>shit>wiz) (2-3 oz)
>meat (tenderloin>top round) (6-7oz)
>onion (a lot)
>bell pepper (a lot)
and recently I've been adding
>worcestershire
>dijon

Philly cheese friday has only been a thing for about 2 months so I'm still working on making it better. I haven't actually done the tenderloin but my mom has (she's a chef) and when I visit home for Thanksgiving I'll have her help me make the perfect philly cheesesteak. THEN I will post the results.
>>
Are pats and genos REALLY that bad, or is it just people trying to look cool by talking shit? I mean I know its sort of a tourist trap and of course there are better steaks to be had, but how bad could pats and genos REALLY be? I'm calling bullshit.
>>
>>7093028
Post ur chef mum I need a wank m8t
>>
>>7093036
People give them shit for their snobbish, rushed attitude and insistence on using cheez wiz. They're cute as a tourist spot for that classic Philly attitude, but if you're not looking to just cross them off your list when visiting you could find much more enjoyable places to eat.
>>
>>7093036
As a tourist I have no intention of going to either one.

I don't have any respect for anyone who would scoff at me for preferring to eat real cheese on my sandwich. It'd be like respecting people from Plattsmouth, Nebraska for telling me my pumpkin pie isn't authentic because I used whipped cream instead of Cool Whip.

Stop trying to be like New Yorkers with their pizza. No one thinks New Yorkers are cool because they have shitty opinions about cheap pizza. People care even less about your shitty opinions about cheap simulated cheese.
>>
If there's a korean/asian market near you see if they have unmarinated bulgogi, if not then go to the Mexican market and similarly look for unmarinated carne asada
>>
>>7093057
>>7093058
Are they that pushy with the cheez whiz? I went to both a really long time ago, I was a kid. I enjoyed it since it was my first time in philly and I'd never had a cheesesteaks sandwich but yea, I was also really young. I still like that kind of sandwich both with whiz and also provolone.
>>
>>7092955
It's viola, not wa la.

Also, steak-ums are disgusting.
>>
>>7093058
>cheap simulated cheese.

Fucking what? No wonder you're the laughing stock of the culinary World.
>>
>>7093081
They're pushy in general. They don't really give you enough time to be judged. You're supposed to go up, order your sandwich with as few words as possible, collect it and fuck off. There's places like that all over. They're the most famous places to get a particular food item or the first so they can get away with treating people like dirt. Usually, they're not the best place, either. I don't take it personally if a guy behind a counter is rude or curt to me, but if I don't have to deal with that, especially after standing in line, why would I?
>>
File: cheesesteak.png (172KB, 817x1047px) Image search: [Google]
cheesesteak.png
172KB, 817x1047px
here you go, straight from cook's country

I'd suggest replacing their cheese suggestion with a thick beer cheese soup, although it is still good this way
>>
File: 4L_1kftW8eU.jpg (1MB, 3264x1951px) Image search: [Google]
4L_1kftW8eU.jpg
1MB, 3264x1951px
I'll post results when done
>>
What the hell is cheese wiz?
>>
>>7093703
No one's sure, but it sure as hell isn't cheese.
>>
>>7093703

Pressurised smegma.
>>
File: cheez whiz.png (88KB, 685x685px) Image search: [Google]
cheez whiz.png
88KB, 685x685px
>>7093703

a gift from the cheese steak gods
>>
I always thought cheesesteaks were made with rib eye, is that wrong?
Also provolone is easily the best option.
>>
>>7092962
>you are not respectong the steak

Shut up
>>
>>7093703
salty gooey cheese product.
I guess it's like a north american vegemite. it's an acquired taste. I breakfasted on the thing on toasts for most of my youth.
Do they have Cheez Whiz in UK? Or is it just Canada/USA...
>>
>>7092928
Chuck eye is great for cheese steaks. Provolone is the only acceptable cheese.

Bread is debatable so use a hoagie roll or something close to it. Gen bell peppers and yellow onions. Mayonnaise. That's it.
>>
File: pappa_geno_s_003.jpg (67KB, 560x420px) Image search: [Google]
pappa_geno_s_003.jpg
67KB, 560x420px
If any Houston Bros wander through this thread, papa genos cheesesteaks are the best I've ever had, not even shilling. It's by 610 and tc jester
>>
>>7093772
Im from Aus and i havent seen it before. We have that white kraft cheese stuff, cream cheese i think its called.
>>
>>7093772
It's apparently only sold in the US, Canada, Philippines, Mexico and Venezuela
>>
Only know-nothings and tourists get a cheese steak with cheese from a jar.

Provolone or American cheese. Anything else is an abomination.
>>
>>7093813
It isn't like cream cheese. At room temp its soft solid, somewhere between pudding and jello. Heated it turns into a saucy liquid like a syrup. It's really salty and creamy, it does taste like cheese but imagine a mild cheese like Colby or mild cheddar. It's mostly dairy based and does actually contain cheese, it isn't cheese though.

Just imagine chocolate syrup. It tastes like chocolate, it has chocolate in it, but it isn't really chocolate. Cheez whiz is just like that. It's also really good on certain things but its also pretty trashy. I personally think it's great on a cheesesteaks sandwich
>>
>>7093826

So only in third world shitholes and Canada then?
>>
>>7093846
Edgy
>>
>>7093041
>>7093153
>>7093703
>>7093846

get lost you syrian fucking yurofaggots I swear to god and country you are so poor you'll complain like 56 American niggers to get your weekly semen rations
>>
File: 12341234123445.jpg (12KB, 261x194px) Image search: [Google]
12341234123445.jpg
12KB, 261x194px
>cheesesteak thread
>guaranteed replies from whiz vs. provolone fags
>>
>>7092928
We use shaved rib-eye at the restaurant... I think it's pretty tasty. Regardless of what you use, make sure it's shaved as thinly as possible.
>>
File: 1428191463257.png (1MB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1428191463257.png
1MB, 720x960px
MMMMHHHH
>>
>>7093915
That's the proper meat.
Using tenderloin is ridiculous, >>7093028
It's expensive and has no flavor.
And the bread is the second most important part. You need a good soft roll, not a cheap hoagie. A stadium roll would be closer, but still not right.
>>
>>7094181
Not seeing any peppers senpai
>>
why dont places in philadelphia take credit cards

its 2015
>>
File: 1405444227507.png (104KB, 275x276px) Image search: [Google]
1405444227507.png
104KB, 275x276px
>>7094262
GEDDA JAAB
>>
>>7094264
is it more cost effective to put a fucking ATM machine in your lobby than to buy a credit card reader thing?
>>
>>7094281
I'm from Montreal and restaurants who are putting AMT machines instead of card readers at the counter are doing it for money laundering purposes. They want you to pay cash only and sometimes they have an ATM from the mafia or bike gangs that's use for money laundering.
>>
File: image.gif (613KB, 273x273px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
613KB, 273x273px
>>7094281
>>7094281
>automatic teller machine machine
>>
>>7094515
montreal is a shithole, what a shock
fucking queebs
>>
>>7093855

So much autism, were you breast fed cola by your Sister or something?
>>
>>7093703
A vaguely cheese like substance that tastes awful.

When I make cheesesteaks at home, I either use a combination of provolone and pepper jack, or I make a roux based cheddar sauce.
>>
>>7094515
How do they account for an ATM full of cash if asked?
>>
>>7093141
memes are a diamond dozen
>>
>>7092928
My ingredients?

> Rib Eye (or Short Rib if you're low on $)
> Proper cheese (provolone)
> White onions
> Bell peppers
> Crushed garlic
> Toasted french roll

I dig Sriracha on my cheesesteaks since it adds spice and umami into the sandwich.
>>
File: philly.jpg (137KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
philly.jpg
137KB, 500x375px
>>
>>7092928
If you want to go ghetto on the meat, you can use roast beef
>>
>>7092928
>mfw fake ass niggas talking about provolone on cheesesteaks

the provolone is for the fucking prok cutlet with brocolli rabe. cheesesteaks have fried onions and wizz. you can put peppers and mushrooms on either, but the quintessential item doesnt include them.
>>
>>7095075

please god, no.
>>
>>7095019
>>7094533
I'm pretty sure it's not Montréal related and any non bank related ATM in Canada and USA is part of a shady operation.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB119033266947734601
>>
>>7092928
Its not hard to get quality steak and provolone cheese outside of Philly. Only tourists get cheesesteaks with wiz.

However most cheesesteaks outside of the Philly area suck for two reasons. They don't cut the steak thin enough. Your almost certainly going to do it incorrectly at home even with the partially freezing method and a sharp knife. But the most important thing is the bread. Its not just a standard sub roll and nearly all of the well known places and good places in Philly use a select few bakeries. The bread really does totally change the flavor of the sandwich.

I've made it at home in Philly and in other cities and the bread that I can get at the local grocery stores really impacts the flavor and makes it taste like a cheesesteak.
>>
>>7095127
Hey dumbass from deleware. Wiz is some shit owners started putting on the menu in the 80s because its significantly cheaper than real cheese. They then marketed it heavily on the back of the real cheesesteak to convince dummies like you its the best way to eat a cheesesteak. Provolone and American are the only acceptable cheeses
>>
>>7093802
I'm actually somewhat nearby.

I'll look 'em up. Thanks, anon.
>>
I prefer skirt or flank steak or flap meat (sirloin tips). Rib eye would be good but gets pricey.

You can cut pretty thin if you freeze it raw, then slice it. Don;t freeze too long.

I prefer white American cheez and some Provolone and lots of Hellmans and a soft roll. And mushrooms. And onions. I never liked cooked peppers except with a sausage.
>>
>>7095645
Pretty much what this guy said. Wiz is terrible, provolone or white american is much better on a cheesesteak.

The meat is important, it should be thinly sliced rib eye. Thinly as in sliced on a deli slicer thin, something you simply will not achieve with a sharp knife at home no matter how good you claim your knife skills to be.

The bread is important as well, but with some practice you can make some pretty solid sub rolls yourself, or if you're lucky you can get some from a local bakery. I've actually made cheesesteaks that ended up pretty well using fresh made bolillos from my local supermarket.
>>
File: IMG_20150904_200757815.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150904_200757815.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
If I see a good priced ny strip or ribeye steak at my local shitty grocer I'll cube it, season s&p&garlic powder, brown it in cast iron and then throw six cheese Italian blend on top, covering the skillet for about 90 seconds. In this particular case I had accidentally grabbed pretzel roll instead of Italian sub bread, but it turned out well. Not authentic 'Philly' in the least, but tastes good to me. Pic related.
>>
>>7095905
That looks like a solid 9.5/10, anon.

Would eat.
>>
File: ms-chicago-italian-beef-sausage.png (206KB, 737x395px) Image search: [Google]
ms-chicago-italian-beef-sausage.png
206KB, 737x395px
Cheese steaks are great, don't get me wrong

But the city of brotherly love should take a page out of the windy city's book

Italian beefs > cheese steaks
>>
>>7094515
so the entirety of philadelpha pa is complicit in organized crime?

i would believe it
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.