[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vegan steak is best steak.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

File: veggie_black_pepper_steak_l.jpg (120KB, 576x522px) Image search: [Google]
veggie_black_pepper_steak_l.jpg
120KB, 576x522px
Vegan steak is best steak.
>>
might as well eat a bucket of shit
>>
>>7084640

That's like saying some artificial vagina is best vagina.
>>
>>7084643
But your mother no longer cooks for me after fucking her
>>
It has to be meat to be a steak. What you have there is a heavily processed livestock feed.
>>
>>7084647
I like to think you're the same guy who just replies to everybody wanting to fuck them or their mother.
>>
>>7084659
Nope I am just a top tier bloke. (Your mother's ruined vagina would disagree)
>>
>>7084640
There is no such thing as vegan steak, as it inherently comes from a cut of animal. Your statement is objectively false.
>>
They should focus less on the imitation of meat and more on the dishes themselves
>>
>>7084791
They miss the texture, I know a vegan girl who haven't had meat for 15 years but sometimes want that texture, to challenge her teeth.
>>
File: Ythawk-sfa3-rolling.gif (38KB, 195x141px) Image search: [Google]
Ythawk-sfa3-rolling.gif
38KB, 195x141px
>>7085092
So veggie-meat is for vegatarians who used to be omnivores?
>>
Sort of the same topic but has anyone here ever eaten giant puffball?
>>
>>7084640
If vegans hate meat why do they try so hard to imitate it?
>>
File: wagyu-potatos.jpg (178KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
wagyu-potatos.jpg
178KB, 700x700px
Carnist potatoes are best potatoes.
>>
File: 1419178106643.jpg (79KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1419178106643.jpg
79KB, 500x500px
>>7085505
u do know that meat comes from pigs and cows right? and pigs and cows does not looks like beef,sausage etc :) meat try to look like cucumberts and carrots
>>
>>7085505
Because vegans don't actually hate meat; they secretly love meat, just like any normal human. The problem is they have an over-active sense of self-righteousness and moral superiority, which forces them to pretend they don't like meat so they can say they "Love animals" in an attempt to claim the moral high-ground.

It's actually a sophisticated psychological defence mechanism. There are plans to add "Veganism" to the DSM.
>>
would I lose weight if I went vegan? Is it a cheaper diet?
>>
>>7085520

you'll lose your penis
>>
>>7085520
no
no
>>
>>7085520
depends on what you eat

replacing meat with sweets and snacks is cheap and will make you balloon

if you eat like you would before but replace meat with vegetables nothing really changes

if you go crazy and eat only raw vegetables and fruits you will spend a lot of money and probably lose weight because it will be hard to stuff yourself with enough food to reach your usual calorie intake
>>
>>7085520
Not necessarily. A vegan diet isn't inherently healthy, just the same way a diet with meat, eggs and diary isn't inherently healthy. Changing your current diet would probably cause you to lose weight if changed correctly. The fact of the matter is that we don't know how to consistently cause sustained healthy weight loss in people- that's why there are so many diets. None of them work or everybody. Being "overweight" isn't always unhealthy since the scale most commonly used is the BMI.
>>
>>7084640
I know this is bait, but what's it made of?
>>
More like a miss steak.
>>
>>7084640
I hope they hunt you down and put a stop to your crimes against humanity like they're doing with just mayo.
>>
>>7085520
I went mostly vegan (animal products once or twice a week), lost about 15lbs and my diet is super cheap - mostly beans, greens, veggies, grains and nuts (the only expensive thing). I very rarely eat stuff like OP pic, because seitan is expensive and not all that tasty. I'd rather just have a real steak a couple times a year.

It's entirely possible for a vegan diet to be cheap and delicious, but you'll spend lots of time cooking to pull it off. I spend at least an hour a day in the kitchen.
>>
>>7086643
>an hour a day in the kitchen
>a lot
Is this how normies actually think?
>>
>>7086650
It's normal for me. But that's every day. I never say fuck it and order a pizza or make a sandwich. I cook almost everything I eat. I'm pretty sure that's not normal for most folks here.
>>
>>7086634
11/10, made the thread worthwhile
>>
>>7085520

Weight loss is purely about caloric intake versus burned calories. What you eat to get those calories does not matter. You can eat ramen and chocolate for every meal and as long as you're burning more than you're eating, you will lose weight.

You will be unhealthy as fuck and probably end up hospitalized, but you'd lose weight.
>>
>>7086650
You're confusing normies with failures and idiots. Most of the normies I know are well-adjusted and somewhat worldly.
>>
>>7084640

i wouldn't even feed this shit to my dog
>>
>>7085520
Unless you prepare your plants with lots of oil, plants generally have low caloric density compared to animal products but are very filling. That way, it should be hard for you to overeat and consistenty take in more calories than your body burns. That is as long as you don't try to put more food in you even if you're not hungry anymore.
>>
>>7088727
>purely about caloric intake versus burned calories
No. It's not just that. If that were the case then there wouldn't be a gigantic diet industry.
>>
>>7089485
Why would the diet industry want people to get slim and lose their customers?
>>
>>7089485

Ask any dietitian. The diet industry (ignoring fad diets as they are there to prey on misinformation) is there to maintain health while losing weight.

The only way to lose weight is to burn more energy (calories) than you are inputting into your body. That is one of the main points of exercise: to burn calories at an increased rate.

If you intake the same amount of calories as you burn, you will either maintain your weight, or gain some as you burn fat but increase muscle mass (which is more dense). If you intake more than you are burning, your body will store the excess as fat.

Like I said, you could lose weight on a diet of shitty food, you would just not be healthy. A good diet is there to keep you healthy while you lose weight.
>>
>>7085520
Yea, you'll lose weight. It is cheap.

You can almost guarantee your blood pressure will drop too (that's a good thing). Meat/dairy is very high in saturated fat, this raises cholesterol. A vegan diet is optimal for reducing many cancers and heart disease.
>>
>>7090693
The number one killer today is still Heart Disease. Pretty much guaranteed to not get heart disease on a vegan diet, so yea no matter what you will be healthier if you were overweight.
>>
>>7090723

The original question was about whether switching to a vegan diet would result in weight loss, not about overall health.
>>
>>7090737
Well that depends, but if he eats healthier without the meat (no junk food), then he would lose weight and increase overall health.
>>
>>7090720
>that's a good thing
I have low blood pressure. I get dizzy standing up. I don't want it lowered further.
>>
File: 1390479246481.png (256KB, 536x468px) Image search: [Google]
1390479246481.png
256KB, 536x468px
>Vegan steak
>>
>>7090765
Well if it's not high, then it won't drop. In fact, your light headedness may improve
>>
>>7090750
>but if he eats healthier without the meat (no junk food), then he would lose weight

Only if cutting out meat resulted in less calories being consumed. He'd have to replace it with something, and if that something ends up being the same amount of calories, then no, he will not lose weight.

It's simple math. There is nothing mystical about weight loss, despite what the diet industry would have you believe. Talk with any licensed dietitian.

Meat is also not unhealthy. If all he ate was meat, then sure, that would be incredibly unhealthy. But as a part of a balanced diet? It's perfectly healthy. Choosing to be vegan is perfectly respectable, but don't spread misinformation to make it seem better. It's no different than making sweeping generalizations about vegans being protein or iron deficient.
>>
>>7090788
Yes yes, I know how it works, and that's not what I meant. I meant to say, if he eats healthier WHILE losing weight, he will be healthier.
>>
>>7090801
>if he eats healthier WHILE losing weight, he will be healthier.

Yes, I said this a couple of times myself. Not sure what the disagreement is?
>>
>>7090803
No disagreement. My main peeve is that meat is as healthy as beans and veg. It just simply isn't, and that's mostly why 97% of Americans don't meet even the minimum adequate intake of fiber per day.
>>
>>7090814
>It just simply isn't

Okay.
>>
>>7084640
Mushroom and bean steaks and burger patties are bomb. However meat is still better and you're a fag for trying to start shit
>>
>>7090788
>It's simple math. There is nothing mystical about weight loss, despite what the diet industry would have you believe. Talk with any licensed dietitian.

Just the weight loss itself, yeah, nothing mystical there. Take in less calories than you use and you'll lose weight regardless of what you eat to get those calories. You could lose weight on a diet of doritoes and pepsi.

Healthy weight loss is the hard part. Eat too few calories and your body does all kinds of counterproductive stuff, too much or too little of any number of nutrients and you'll also run into health problems. Efficiency also comes into play, where those calories come from, how your body processes them, whether you feel full or starving, etc. You'll lose weight on that dorito and pepsi diet, but you'll probably end up in a hospital.

That calories are basically the main factor everyone agrees on, and there are some widely accepted ideas (sugar is generally bad). Everything else though is surrounded by numerous conflicting theories and the generally held belief changes from year to year (right now eggs are back in the good pile for instance).

Personally I watch calories and sugar, and just try to keep everything else varied. A mixture of meat, veggies, grain, etc. Old school food pyramid shit, but it works. Probably not optimal, but I'm not an athlete or a bodybuilder, I just didn't wanna be fat.
>>
>>7091029
Weight-loss is simple in theory, in practise going from living off pizza and junk food to eating properly isn't as simple as it sounds. It's not about willpower, it's about learning what and how much you should be eating.

I managed to drop around 50 pounds over the course of a year and so far have kept it off. Best things I can recommend:

- Get a calorie counting app. They are a huge fucking pain in the ass and you feel like a dolt, but it works. Seeing the numbers really helps figure out what you should be eating.
- Buy a kitchen scale. Again, goes with the calorie counting app as useful but a huge pain in the ass. See how many grams of chicken that actually is rather then guessing.
- Learn to love whole grain and beans. They fill you up fast and are generally good for you.
- Learn to love water, ditch pretty much any drink that isn't water, coffee, tea, or maybe skim milk. Pretty much anything else is terrible for you.
- Find foods you actually like. If you think of it as something you'll "put up with" until you lose the weight, you'll probably eventually fail. You've got to change the way you eat forever, so it's gotta be a diet you enjoy.
- Avoid sugar in general. It pretty much gets turned into fat right away.
- By careful with anything sold as a healthy version of something. A lot of the time they're just unhealthy in different ways.
- Listen to your body. It sounds lame, but we've got built in mechanisms to tell us when we should be eating more. Cavemen didn't understand calorie counting. Learn to differentiate between hunger and craving. If your actually legitimately hungry, eat something. Starving yourself is a really bad way to lose weight.
>>
File: 1436296086233.jpg (74KB, 400x395px) Image search: [Google]
1436296086233.jpg
74KB, 400x395px
>>7084645
>Implying it's not
>>
>>7089589
That's like saying why would doctors want to provide effective care to their patients. They'll lose customers because they'll never get sick again!

My point is that the diet industry exists because we don't know exactly how to consistently cause weight loss across populations.
>>
>>7091091
Apparently, it could also involve taking care of some behavioral health problems. https://youtu.be/IJGIMd3_LfY
>>
>>7086623
ANybody? Jeez.
>>
>>7090723
>Michael Clarke Duncan
We're tired of this rhetoric about "muh heart disease prevention"
>>
>>7091232
Seitan
>>
>>7086617
>>7085520
The fact of the matter is that we don't know how to consistently cause sustained healthy weight loss in people- that's why there are so many diets.
Wrong. Ultimately it's a matter of calories in versus calories out. While it's true that people respond differently to different diets (ie some respond to vegan better than high fat), it really comes down to how much goes in and how much goes out.
>>
>>7084640
I don't see any steak in your picture, OP.
>>
>>7092298
I think it's a vegan steak.
>>
>>7084640
Jesus fucking christ what did you put on that plate?
>>
>>7084640
Vegan speaking. No it's not.

There are some fantastic minced-meat style vegan products, and vegan protein products can be delicious if the cook knows what to do with them, but cuts of red meat never come out well. It doesn't matter if you get the texture right, or the flavour right, if you don't have the blood the best you can hope for is "extremely over done." That's why the steak in your picture is slathered in sauce.

That being said, apparently they're working on using plant heme in some lab in New York. It's derived from lentil roots. So vegan steak may be stepping up its game in the near future.
>>
I'm not vegan, but I must admit that after getting food poisoning a few days ago from chicken, the idea of eating meat kind of makes me sick now. I'm sure it will pass, but vegetarian meat replacements (tempeh, mushroom/bean burgers) don't seem that bad right now.
>>
>>7091169
That is a poor comparison, because healthy people will still go to the doctor every year for checkups and vaccinations. Thin fit people won't need to go on a fad diet.
>>
>>7084640
The soy estrogens have greatly affected your mind.
>>
>>7085520
Prolly yes. Yes it is.
>>
>>7091169
Well I think doctors would like people to be that healthy, that would mean them and their family would be safe. And diet magazines survive because every other week they have a new way to lose weight, I'd never compare the morals of shitty magazines and the ethics of doctors (at least from my communist scandinavian country).
>>
>>7085505
They don't hate meat, they hate the torture of average farm animals and don't want to contribute to the demand for it. Also many of them don't want to contribute to the destruction of the enviroment for meat farming.
Some of them dislike the taste of meat and some of them are neutral but some like the taste of meat so they'll eat something similar that didn't have the same consequences while being made.
>>
>>7085520
Vegetables are cheaper than meat. I'm not a vegan or vegetarian but i eat little meat anyway since i have little money.
>>
I don't know why but I actually want to try that op.
>>
>>7084640

epic b8, m8
>>
>>7093240
it just tastes like microwaved swedish meatballs in a generic brown gravy.
>>
File: 1377467378567.gif (300KB, 252x204px) Image search: [Google]
1377467378567.gif
300KB, 252x204px
>>7084640
>>
>>7086643

I used to be vegetarian for a specific medical issue. That lasted about two years.

I've contemplated doing something like you suggest -- eat meat only a couple of times a week. Mainly though, to use meat in small amounts to add flavor.
>>
>>7092557

When I was a vegetarian for about two years, I tried several vegetarian meats and thought they were all awful.
>>
>>7085520

I've always found it easier to make changes by making big changes instead of small changes.

Right now, I'm pre-diabetic and I need to lose weight in hopes that I might avoid becoming diabetic. So I have quit buying bottles of soft drinks. If I have a meal that includes soft drinks (I'm too cheap to pay for a soft drink with the meal and drink water instead), I'll drink one, but I won't buy any at the store. Since I only eat out about once a week and many of those that don't include soft drinks with the meal so my soft drink consumption should fall to maybe one every three or four weeks.

Similarly, I'm limiting ice cream when I have it to one scoop in a small bowl.
>>
File: tacosalad.jpg (367KB, 1080x1776px) Image search: [Google]
tacosalad.jpg
367KB, 1080x1776px
>>7093668
I think cutting out pop, and really any liquid calories is really the best first step.

Honestly I think it's better to quit completely then have one once in awhile. At least in my case, a lot of it was habitual, and when I switched to mostly drinking water, I lost all interest in the stuff.

If you're really serious about losing the weight, find a calorie calculator somewhere (there's like a billion of them online), find out how many calories you burn a day, then try to eat about 500 under that. If you don't lose any weight after a month or so, go lower. It's really that simple. Calorie counting is an epic pain in the testicles at first, but it gets easier and is pretty effective.

Also eating healthy and within your calorie budget doesn't have to be a shitty experience. Lots of good food is surprisingly low in calories, and even the stuff that is can be had, you just pair it with lighter stuff throughout the day.

Adding on to what >>7091091 said, you can also focus on foods with low energy density (a lot of vegetables) so you end up eating a physically large amount of stuff which also fills you up and satisfies you without piling on calories. Pic is a reasonable amount of food and clocks in around 500 calories (and has meat in it!).
>>
>>7093763

One thing that may help in my case is that my thyroid is working only a small fraction of what it should and I'm now taking thyroxine daily to make up for that. From what I've read of other people's experiences with it, it apparently isn't unusual for people to lose as much as 2 pounds per week when they start taking it.

Also as I understand it, antihistamines can, in some people, interfere with their ability to feel sated once they have had enough to eat. I tried going without antihistamines but that didn't work so I tried changing to another that may not be as bad.
>>
>>7093782

I forgot to mention that since women vastly outnumber men in thyroid disease, I've told a couple of women that I now have a "women's disease".

They gave me some rather odd looks when I told them that.
>>
>>7093632
It really depends on what you get. Just like everything else, there are bad and good examples of the products (you wouldn't judge all meat based on the quality of vienna sausages). In the last few years there has been a surge of specialty veggie meat producers, and some of it is actually quite good. Then there are restaurants that make it all by hand, which are more often than not good. Even larger brands have stepped up their game and improved their formula. But again, this has only happened in the last few years. I can distinctly remember vegan meats being shit when I was younger.
>>
>>7093815

I may have to give them another try, then.

One problem around here is that I live in a very solid cattle producing area. The towns are small and the grocery stores correspondingly small. The local grocery store is not much bigger than an average convenience store. The odds of them carrying much in the way of vegetarian items is pretty small.

So I'll probably have to order over the Internet.

Do you have any suggestions on specific products to try?
>>
File: seitan-brisket-and-veg-01.jpg (807KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
seitan-brisket-and-veg-01.jpg
807KB, 1632x1224px
>>7086623

Probably wheat gluten.

You can make some really delicious things with wheat gluten, but the OP's steak is probably not one of them.
>>
>>7092702
This is true for beef, most the time for pork, and almost never true for chicken.
>>
>>7094710
Maybe it's different in different places but beans are cheaper for protein than chicken and pork where i live. Maybe there's subsidies where you live that we don't have here. Also the laws for how much you can let the animals suffer are stricter here than in many countries, the conditions are still bad here though.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.