[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Clam Chowder

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

File: thumb_600.jpg (89KB, 590x590px) Image search: [Google]
thumb_600.jpg
89KB, 590x590px
What is /ck/'s consensuses on this delicious seafood soup? I'm currently not in NE and have been wanting to make some. Anyone have a good recipe? I'd be interested in tips on making the best bread bowl as well.
>>
File: pipegirl3.jpg (34KB, 481x452px) Image search: [Google]
pipegirl3.jpg
34KB, 481x452px
>>7080204

some good 'der in a bread bowl is the tits
>>
>>7080219
>'der
>not 'er

When will this stop.
>>
>>7080219
>>7080248
>'der
>er
It's 'da! Say it right!
>>
File: lucy44.jpg (6KB, 289x174px) Image search: [Google]
lucy44.jpg
6KB, 289x174px
>>7080254

you are correct 'ir!
>>
>>7080254

this is why I love /'k/
>>
clam chowder is pretty good. never had it in a bread bowl though.
>>
>>7080276
Bread bowls are actually pretty gimmicky in my opinion.
>>
I'm going to Massachusetts soon, and supposedly they have the best seafood and clam chowder, right? What's a good place to go?
>>
>>7080309
The beach.

Look for where they take the seafood in and grab a place nearby. They usually look terrible, and taste divine. Crowds don't lie. Faded neon shack with no parking spaces left? That's the ticket.
>>
>>7080309
Massachusetts and Maine coast. Also Rhode Island if you avoid the brothy stuff.

Whereabouts in MA?
>>
>>7080204
the best is in SF for the sour dough bowls and the fresh seafood
>>
>>7080328
Nah, SF clam chowder is in tourist trap central. You couldn't pay me to spend the day at Pier 39. No nice restaurants in SF serve chowder.

I can't disagree that the sourdough is good though.
>>
>>7080324
We will be visiting Boston, but mostly staying about 40 miles to the west. What's good in Boston?
>>
>>7080342
Staying in Worcester?
>>
I love it, but living in ND makes good clam chowder hard to come by.
>>
>>7080346
I-I don't actually know where that is. I'm from the west coast, just going to visit. All the cities and towns are so small, and there are so many of them, it's confusing.
>>
>>7080339

This imo. The best chowder I've had on the west coast were in smaller cities and towns, usually in buildings that look like they've been sitting right next to the ocean for 30 damn years.
>>
>>7080204
Not necessarily chowder, but here is a seafood stew/soup I make that's really tasty

Ingredients:

>2 tablespoons unsalted butter
>2 leeks, chopped up nicely
>2 big carrots, chopped up
>2 cloves of garlic, chopped fine
>1/2 cup of pearl barley
>2 cups of water
>12 oz can of evaporated milk
>2 turnips, chopped up
>1/2 cup of your favorite white wine
>1/4 tsp thyme leaves
>1/2 teaspoon crunched up saffron
>1 cup of heavy cream
>salt and pepper to your liking
>1 1/2 lbs of cod, cut up in chunks
>3/4 cup of clam meat
>1 cup of crab (you can use imitation if you'd like)

First, be sure to soak that barley for an hour before you start anything else

Place 1/2 lb of the cod in a pot with the 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, and boil for 10 minutes. Remove the fish and set aside for later. Keep the fish stock for later.
In a saucepan, melt the butter and saute leeks, carrots, and garlic over medium low. Cook until limp but not brown.

Add wine and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce to medium low heat, and add that fish stock, along with the thyme, salt, pepper, barley, and turnips. Cook this until your turnips are nice and tender.

In another saucepan, heat the cream, then add the crushed saffron threads until you get that beautiful golden color. Stir this mixture along with the evaporated milk into the other pan (the one with the turnips)

Add your fish, crab, and clams and turn the heat to low. Cover this, and cook on medium low until fish is ready (around 7-10 minutes).
>>
>>7080309
Why are you going to MA to get seafood in late fall? Go in the summer like all the other tourist scum. Seafoods better then anyway.
>>
>>7080204
big ol' bowl o' cum
>>
>>7080355
By the way, it's pronounced Wustah
>>
Clam Chowder
3 bacon strips, chopped
1/4 yellow onion, diced
1 russet potato, cubed
1 carrot, diced
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup white flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1 (6.5 ounce) can minced clams
2 1/4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper, to taste
oyster crackers
Fry bacon in dutch oven until crisp. Add the onions, potatoes and carrots. Add water to cover, and cook 10 minutes over medium heat until tender and water has evaporated.
Whisk in the butter and flour until smooth. Whisk in milk and stir constantly until thick and smooth. Stir in the juice from the canned clams. Heat through, but do not boil.
Stir in clams just before serving. If they cook too long they get tough. When clams are heated through, stir in vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.
>>
File: mitcham.jpg (50KB, 375x499px) Image search: [Google]
mitcham.jpg
50KB, 375x499px
>>7081636
Commercial shellfisherman here.
Lose the carrot
Lose the flour
Maybe add some sautéed celery instead
Vinegar? WTF lose that
Minced clams are already cooked
Get real Quahogs and steam lightly then chop
Instead of flour(an abomination in chowder) use evaporated milk for richness
Bacon is for corn chowder; used tried out salt pork scraps instead.
Add pork scraps when serving
Read the book; this guy schooled Bourdain.
>>
>>7081710

Not the guy you gave advice too but just because you fish for shellfish doesn't mean you know a god damn thing about chowder, your advice seems like absolute garbage.
>>
>>7081710

>Commercial shellfisherman here.
Has nothing to do with cooking
>Lose the carrot
agree
>Lose the flour
ignorant
>Maybe add some sautéed celery instead
Leeks add more flavor
>Vinegar? WTF lose that
Acidity brings balance to rich food
>Minced clams are already cooked
While true, not everyone has access to fresh clams at a reasonable price
>Get real Quahogs and steam lightly then chop
Real niggas put the clams on top of the pot in a tami and let the juice from the clams drip down into the soup, then take the meat out
>Instead of flour(an abomination in chowder)
this is ignorance
>use evaporated milk for richness
why the fuck would you use evaporated milk instead of cream? or a milk+butter roux?
>Bacon is for corn chowder; used tried out salt pork scraps instead.
Same shit really, the bacon can be saved and used as garnish
>Add pork scraps when serving
"Pork scraps" doesn't sound very appealing to non-trash people
>Read the book; this guy schooled Bourdain.
Bourdain is a quarter step above a food blogger, he doesn't even know how to cook any more.
>>
>>7081733
Tell me why the absence of flour is ignorance.
>>
Traditional chowder was made with hardtack and salt pork. Salt pork is still relatively easy to find, hardtack, not so much.
>>
>>7081744

Traditional philly cheese steaks were made with cheese whiz.

>>7081741
Because a chowder should be thick, making a beurremanie with 4 tbsp flour and butter will make 4 litres of soup at the right consistancy for chowder.

If you want to go buy agar or xantham feel free, and if you want a thin faggoty soup thats fine too, but if you want to make it authentic then you add a bit of flour.
>>
File: chowder.jpg (268KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
chowder.jpg
268KB, 1200x900px
manhattan > new england

prove me wrong you can't
>>
File: lie-to-me-disgust[1].jpg (46KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
lie-to-me-disgust[1].jpg
46KB, 620x400px
>>7081803
absolutely disgusting

>mfw I wasn't listening to the server when they said the soup of the day and I thought the clam chowder was New England and they bring me the gross tomato soup one
>>
>>7081803
There's nothing wrong with a tomato and clam soup, but it's not chowder.
>>
>>7080339
Sourdough is so damn good, you get less chowder in a bread bowl though
>>
>>7080339
>Implying Pier 39 is the only place in the entire Bay Area to serve sea food
I will agree that Pier 39 is shit though.
>>
>>7081906
I'm not. I grew up in SF and can tell you that seafood restaurants people go to don't serve chowder. I didn't even know SF chowder was a thing until I left and people told me about it.

As I said, good restaurants don't serve chowder in SF, that doesn't mean there isn't other great seafood.
>>
>>7081915
i visited san francisco a long time ago and vividly remember restaurants where people were sitting around eating bread bowl chowder like it was a big deal. it was in that tourist area though by the water.
>>
>>7081944
He's just being a contrarian and probably hasn't eaten either dish.
>>
use Knorr® Chicken Stock Pot™
>>
>>7082004
This desu senpai
>>
>>7080278
Except they arent. The bread soaks up the soup and eating the bowl afterwards is heavenly
>>
>>7081948

At least he isn't saying RI chowder is the best. It's not even chowder, its clam juice for fucks sake.
>>
>>7082167
>durr hurr my way is the only right way
You're a faggot. Bread bowls are GOAT soup delivery
>>
>>7082167
literally if you want clams in your chowder they should be in their shell still alive and have cows milk squirted on them hot from the udder then you slurp them raw
>>
>>7082174

You do realize I said that clam juice isn't chowder, you tremendous faggot.

It seems your public school education hasn't benefitted you.
>>
Living in Germany and I can't find oyster crackers, is there any point to making chowder without them?
>>
NE Chowder is the fucking best. My family has a beach house on Martha's Vineyard and I get the most bomb chowder in the world there.
>>
>>7080254
real chowdah!

>>7080259
no ahs
>>
>>7081915
>>7081915
>I grew up in SF and can tell you that seafood restaurants people go to don't serve chowder
Again, stop making sweeping generalizations about a major metropolitan area. I've definitely seen clam chowder at seafood restaurants that weren't tourist traps before.
>>7081930
That's Pier 39
>>
>>7082253
You could use a similar cracker or just flour.
>>
>>7081803
>>
>>7082727
Sure, you can get any type of food in a city. I'm not saying that SF has some sort of vendetta against clam chowder where it won't be allowed on its soil like a Walmart. There's a couple of decent BBQ places in SF too but I wouldn't tell you that's where you should go to get good BBQ. Clam chowder isn't something SF would be known for if it wasn't a bunch of tourists, who've never seen the ocean, coming and having it there. Anywhere on the coast is going to have fresh seafood, but NE is where you want to be for the best clam chowder.
>>
>>7083139
Alright, that's fair
>>
>>7081733
Person from away detected
>>
File: 1447549783523.jpg (34KB, 336x335px) Image search: [Google]
1447549783523.jpg
34KB, 336x335px
>>7083132
>>
>>7080309
Providence has god-tier food and isn't that far. Federal hill alone can rival most of Boston.
>>
>>7083508
New Beige for awesome Portagee food.
The Orchid Diner
>>
>>7083277
Giuneas don't make clam chowder
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.