[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Peanut Butter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

Until today, I've never had traditional peanut butter. I've only ever eaten peanut butter like JIF and Skippy growing up, the stuff my parents bought.

So I decided to go out and buy this more expensive peanut butter. The ingredients on the back literally just says "peanuts and <1% salt" and it was pooled with oil that I had to stir. For some reason, it has absolutely zero taste to it. I don't get it, I've eaten entire bags of peanuts before. I know what raw peanuts taste like, this peanut butter doesn't taste like anything. I'm confused right now.

Earlier I made a plain peanut butter sandwich, just spreading it on 100% whole wheat bread and then a few hours later, since I couldn't taste anything, I really caked on much more of the peanut butter and still couldn't taste anything. Maybe my taste palette is fucked up from eating nothing but JIF and Skipp, maybe this brand sucks, or maybe this is just how peanut butter is supposed to taste. I don't know what to think.

Pic is what I bought. "Laura Scudder's." What peanut butter do you eat?
>>
That brand is pretty OK if I can't afford the really good stuff (which is basically anything that isn't peanut-related, like almond butter). The low amount of salt is what makes it taste "plain". Peanuts are actually very plain. I still prefer that traditional kind of PB though.

If you want something tastier try a different type of butter. Almond butter, cashew butter, pistachio butter, etc. You'll probably like them.
>>
>Maybe my taste palette is fucked up from eating nothing but JIF and Skipp

correct
>>
>>7074892

I'll have to try that stuff out. The closest I've had to almond butter is nutella, which I think is based off of almond butter but honestly just tastes like a chocolate spread.

>>7074896

I'm not actually sure how bad for me JIF and Skippy is for me, but I do want to ween myself off of it for something natural just because eating preservatives bothers me.
>>
The Kirkland brand at Costco is really good pb. I bought some recently and it tastes just as good, if not better than the pb you grind yourself at whole foods.

Anyway, yeah, jif and skippy aren't really peanut butter, they're peanut spread. Basically like rating peanut frosting.
>>
>>7074879
I don't know how this brand is processed, as I looked on the website and it didn't specify if the nuts were toasted or raw, but nuts are much, much better toasted or roasted than raw.
JIF and Skippy are different from this peanut butter in two ways that I'm certain of: the addition of sugar, molasses and emulsifying oils. The sugar and molasses may play a part in enhancing flavors, though I doubt this, since I've had peanut butters without sugar that taste intensely peanutty. The emulsifying oils may dilute flavor, since they tend to be hydrogenated vegetable oils or palm oil, both of which are neutrally-flavored. If this brand does not roast their peanuts, then there is a third difference: JIF and Skippy both roast their peanuts. Given what you've said, this seems like the most likely case.
I've tried Justin's peanut butter and I think that it is very good. They roast their peanuts, and add a small amount of palm oil to emulsify and prevent separation. And, of course, they add salt. The peanut flavor is very intense, in my opinion.
>>
honestly I prefer Jif to any natural peanut butter i've ever tasted
>>
>>7074879
Never buy anything that prides itself on being low sodium.
>>
>>7074879
I've had that brand before, it was okay. I think it's the low amount of salt that makes it bland, most peanuts that you snack on are heavily salted.
>>
>>7074892
>>7074924
>>7074927
>low sodium
http://www.jif.com/products/creamy-peanut-butter
http://www.laurascudderspeanutbutter.com/product
http://www.peanutbutter.com/product.php?id=3
This brand has marginally MORE sodium than either JIF or Skippy. It's not high-sodium, but it ain't low either.
>>
>>7074912
If you're prepared to shell out go ahead, but anything that isn't peanut butter is going to be outrageously expensive.
If you're worried about the minimal additives in traditional peanut butter, then I'm gonna recommend Justin's. But, like, there isn't much wrong with JIF and Skippy.
>>
>>7074912
nutella is hazelnuts, not almonds.
>>
>>7074941
>prepared to shell out
Top drawer. Top fucking drawer
>>
I bought a container of almond butter like 7 months back from Costco thinking it would be a cool PB replacement, but I dislike the fact that it's not so sweet. It's just not the same and I can't get myself to enjoy the flavor.

Be careful OP. I think that getting anything labeled as organic and low sodium with no added sugar will not be your cup of tea. It's just too different from conventional "peanut butter."
>>
Well, it's peanut butter that's actual, you know, butter.

I suppose you can just top it off with sugar.
>>
>>7074879
Have you ever been to a store that lets you grind your own peanuts? You should try it sometime.
>>
I like natural unsweetened peanut butter a lot on its own, but I do think that if paired with a jam or a fruit it's the best. Too much sugar really ruins it though
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.