[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kung Pao General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 12

File: IMG_1007.png (3MB, 1296x968px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1007.png
3MB, 1296x968px
Anyone interested in a how to on pic related? I've improved on it since the last thread. I'm going to get started and if anyone is interested I will post how to do this one.
>>
>>7063002
Yeah why not

For some reason though it always triggers me when the rice is served beside the dish, put rhe rice on the bottom and the flavor shit on top, ESPECIALLY WITH SAUCES
>>
>>7063002
Improved it how? Kung pao should have a shitload of dried red chillies and I can't see a single Szechuan pepper corn in there.

Not sure if bait or just bad Chinese food
>>
>>7063016
>bad Chinese food
no, just white chinese food
>>
>>7063026
chinese white
chite
>>
>>7063016
Let them eat their American Chinese food. If it tastes good it tastes good who are we to judge
>>
File: ingreds.png (2MB, 1037x775px) Image search: [Google]
ingreds.png
2MB, 1037x775px
>>7063002
Ok so we have all our ingreds here.

salt, ran out of PHS so we'll use sea salt.
black pepper mix
chicken stock...
white vinegar (why addressed below)
corn starch
sherry
Celery
sesame oil
soy sauce
peanut oil

Ginger
Garlic
Onion
Red Bell Pepper
MACADAMIA NUTS SON (I found that white vinegar goes better w/ these than dark for peanuts)
Calamari steaks
Serrano peppers
Just noting that I'm doing this live so it will be a bit slow, I'm also kind of hammered, not that that will have any affect on the outcome, just saying it might be a bit slower posting. But /ck/.. we are used to that.
>>
>>7063016
Honestly this doesn't give it enough heat for me, those dried red chillis really are kind of bland and not that great imo so I don't use them.

I would have used Thai chillies however Wegmans doesn't stock them this time of year, so you work with what you got.
>>
File: 232.png (2MB, 1037x775px) Image search: [Google]
232.png
2MB, 1037x775px
Anyone that complains about pepper seeds getting all over the place just needs to stop doing that.
>>
>>7063037
Okay so based on the ingredients alone I can see this is not kung pow, so you should change it to something else.
But carry on i'm interested in your recipe
>>
>>7063002
This doesn't really look like kung pao, but I'll foloow this
>>
Update, I had to take a surprise shit so that set me back about 10, but I've cut up my veg's and made the sauce and am slicing up calamari now I'll post a couple pics in the next twenty or so w/ that and what ingreds / amounts are in what.
>>
File: 454606058.jpg (66KB, 840x485px) Image search: [Google]
454606058.jpg
66KB, 840x485px
>kikkoman soy sauce instead of chinese light and dark
>serrano instead of tianjin peppers
>sherry instead of shaoxing wine
>generic western vinegar instead of chinkiang vinegar
>no szechuan pepper corns
>>
>>7063120
>thinking they taste that much different
also shaoxing wine is not better for this than the sherry is for this; I've tried both.

small update coming tho.
>>
>>7063002
I like Kung Pao chicken but not the peanuts. I just don't like the texture of peanuts or any nuts in my food. The sauce w/o the nuts goes really good w/chicken.
>>
>>7063161
>peanuts

pls be jokin
>>
File: chink.jpg (81KB, 640x539px) Image search: [Google]
chink.jpg
81KB, 640x539px
>>7063026
Me Chineee
Me play joke
Me put pee pee
In your Coke
>>
File: asdf.png (2MB, 1037x775px) Image search: [Google]
asdf.png
2MB, 1037x775px
So the calamari is sitting in
~ 1/4 tsp white pepper
~ 1 tsp soy
~ 1 tsp sherry (or shaoxing for that other donky)
~ 1/4 tsp sugar
~ 1/2 tsp sesame oil
~ 1/2 tsp cornstarch

the sauce bowl is
1 tbl soy
1 tbl sherry
1 tbl vinegar
2 1/2 tbl chicken stock
1/2 tbl sugar
1 tsp seasme oil
2 tsp corn starch

now i'm just going to finish getting the garlic / ginger / peppers / scallions ready

then it's cooking time.
>>
>>7063170
The cool thing about calamari is that there are so many types. My favorite is Italian, but then there's Thai, and Chinese, and Japanese, and dirty knees!
>>
>>7063166
What kung pao doesn't have peanuts?
>>
Are you taking notes Ja/ck/? Update coming.
>>
I mean this isn't even Carbonara with cream level pleb cooking, it's worse.

Szechuan pepper corns make the dish, without them it's just some generic American chinese food.

You need to visit the next Asian super market OP.
>>
File: pep.png (1MB, 1020x517px) Image search: [Google]
pep.png
1MB, 1020x517px
>>7063199
Ok so pic related is the ginger/garlic/hot peppers/scallion mixture.

I find that it's a good idea not to wear gloves when cutting hot peppers and then when you're done, stick your finger in your nose for about 2 seconds; this generally gives you a good idea of how hot the peppers are you're working with.

so it's cooking time now;

I'm going to first put some oil in a pan and cook the calamari for about 2.5 - 3 minutes. Then I will transfer that to a bowl to wait a little and start on the red peppers and celery till the red peppers get a small amount of char on them. then I'll toss in the macadamia nuts and flip that around for a little while, like 20 seconds and add the ginger mixture, toss for another 20, then pour the sauce mixture in along with the onions, flip that around for about a minute or 2 then add the calamari and heat that up for another 30 seconds to a minute then put it on a plate.

I forgot to start my rice so I'ma do that too now. fug.
>>
>>7063211
Dude, don't fucking cook as you post. Cook, take the pictures, then do the writeup, jesus wet
>>
>>7063217
woah woah woah there buddy. Anticipating much? Everything moves slower on /ck/.
>>
>>7063229
It's not about the speed, I'm more worried about OP fucking something up while writing instead of cooking
>>
>>7063166
I always ask the restaurant to leave out the peanuts. It's not like they have to pick them out, in cooking they're added last.

I just don't like the texture.

I've never had Kung Pao anything without peanuts in it. It's fucking annoying.

>>7063180
The damn Kung Pao that I ask for it not to have peanuts in it. Damn well straight I can modifiy orders as long as it's done at the time of the order, the restaurants don't mind. Fuck, it saves them money, they don't have to use up peanuts.
>>
I love nuts, especially cashews. Peanuts are good too, but I just don't like them in my food.
>>
This thread just got way too American for me with these two >>7063241 >>7063244

I'm out
>>
ok guys updates are coming, I took pics of the cooking process. no worries, this is some nice tasting food btw. Calamari is also very healthy.
>>
File: onionrings.png (929KB, 728x524px) Image search: [Google]
onionrings.png
929KB, 728x524px
Ok so lets get started, I'm makin images while I eat the result.

So this is what they looked like after cooking for 1.2 minutes, flipped them over for another minute then xfered to a cold bowl.
>>
File: huh.png (2MB, 1037x775px) Image search: [Google]
huh.png
2MB, 1037x775px
>>7063313
Pic is starting on the peppers and celery.

I used anti gravity rain to cook the calamari btw.
>>
So then we did stuff w/ that, then added the spice mixture till it was really fuggin fragrant, then I started tossing it in w/ the other stuff.
>>
File: senpai.png (1MB, 814x747px) Image search: [Google]
senpai.png
1MB, 814x747px
nice.
>>
conclusion, no picture of it over rice, however I did pour it over rice instead of next to it and I mxied that shit up.

ALSO the most important thing you dumb fucks should have got from this is

DONT EVER MAKE "caramlized onions" or anything that makes an onion look super clear and limp as fuck. Please kill yourself if you like your onions limp and fucky.
>>
>>7063263
>Pansy faggot detected
>>
File: The_Lexx-17264.jpg (299KB, 1200x777px) Image search: [Google]
The_Lexx-17264.jpg
299KB, 1200x777px
>>7063318
The Lexx is watching you.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.