[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

quince paste / membrillo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: hqdefault.jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
29KB, 480x360px
anyone ever made this successfully? I kind of followed a recipe, and I couldn't get it to set for the life of me. What makes it set? The pectin in the quince itself?
>>
I'll ask the durka durka sand moolie who works for me how she makes it. It'll take me at least overnight to get back to you, though.
>>
>>7059242
I'd appreciate it.

I flipped the whole thing and put it back in the oven.
>>
>>7059085
>What makes it set? The pectin in the quince itself?
According to the recipes I've read yes. But it takes a long time to cook... like upwards of 8 hours.
>>
>>7059085
If you wanna cheat jus tadd some leaves of gelatin.
>>
>>7059337
That's what I kind discovered, but two recipes I saw suggested differently.
>>7060231
I thought of that too late.
>>
>>7060352
Howdy. I'm >>7059242

In about 30 minutes or so, the work day starts, and I'll see her to ask. I'll likely post her answer within an hour. Hopefully, it'll help.
>>
>What makes it set? The pectin in the quince itself?

yep. you need to cook a long time and potentially add acid in order to drive off water and get a firm set. also to get the colour. don't add gelatin, add more pectin if necessary.
>>
>>7060379
So I asked her.
She said "If it hasn't set, you haven't cooked it enough."
Her rudimentary instructions were to cut it small, put it in a pot, cover with water and boil it. When it's soft enough to mash, mash it, then let it cook until a lot of water has evaporated out and, finally, lower the heat to very, very low, add sugar to your preferences and let it reduce gently until thick.
That's it.
She said, also, that it will turn various colours as it cooks.

I forgot to ask if it needs to be peeled or not. I've never made my own quince paste.
>>
>>7059085
my family makes it all the time, though personally I don't have much experience

from what I understand if the fruit is ripe you just cook it down until it's a really thick paste, and that will set by itself

you can also add agents to make it set with no ill effect

how to get the grittiness out of it though mystifies us, we suspect it's to do with the fruit
>>
>>7060419
Right... I didn't do nearly as much lemon as recipes were suggesting. I figured it was a flavor thing, not a science thing. Cool. And, without looking it up, I assume you actually know this.
>>7060435
Thanks for the help, brah. Part of my problem was that about a third of my paste was quince that had been deeply cored (she was trying to remove pectin out of the juice), cooked, and the juice was removed. I was left with a lot of pulp that I figured I could use. I was wondering if that reduced the pectin level enough to make it harder for me.
>>7060461
Thanks. That's what I figured as well, but it didn't set solid. I jarred up a bunch of it to eat with bread and cheese. But to make that quince "cheese" wasn't working.
>>
Oh man wear long sleeves, that shit burns like fuck
>>
>>7060480
we make a dessert with fig goats cheese and quince paste, made like a pizza on filo pastry

it's refined, goes well with a heavier wine
>>
>>7060519
Where might one find these fig goats and why do they trio up so well with cheese and quince paste?
>>
>>7060518
The plopping on the stove made me pull out my crock pot. It cooked down super well in there. No plopping, no burning.
>>7060519
That's fresh fig, I suppose. Sounds deelish. I love fig and cheese.
>>
TIL there's a thing called membrillo. Does it taste different from what a quince marmalade would be like?
>>
>>7060816

maybe more of a stewed flavour, but no it's just much firmer set, like a pate de fruit
>>
>>7060801

Oh well done. Here in the third world we like to eat membrillo with cuartirolo cheese or any kind of creamy non salty cheese, such as ricotta, por salut or saint felicien.

Try it breh.
>>
>>7060816
Membrillo just means quince, actually.

We also call the quince paste membrillo, but the correct term is "dulce de membrillo" which means quince sweet or something like that.

Also I'm pretty sure it tastes about the same as marmalade, just sharper?
>>
Soylent red
>>
File: Photo on 11-10-15 at 5.48 PM.jpg (84KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 11-10-15 at 5.48 PM.jpg
84KB, 640x426px
They came out pretty tasty and well set. My wife likes them so I got that going for me...
>>
>>7061755
Good job.
>>
>>7062671
I can't believe how red they get! I should look up the science behind it...
>>
>>7061755
Anon they are beautiful!
>>
>>7062734
Thank you, thank you...

It was nice to try and mostly succeed. We have plenty of quince around here, and that stuff is so tasty. can't believe how expensive it is at the store.

Felt good to win.
>>
>>7061755
Why are there so many married people on 4chan
>>
>>7063614
ck is good for married people.
>>
>>7061755
Good job anon--looks excellent
>>
>>7061755
Don't eat it by itself, anon, put it together with some fresh cheese or something.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.