[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wine general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

File: 1297698807158_ORIGINAL.jpg (44KB, 650x427px) Image search: [Google]
1297698807158_ORIGINAL.jpg
44KB, 650x427px
I got this baco noir because I had never tasted it before. I'm not sure if I like it. I hear wines described as "foxy", is that what this means? Maybe it will grow on me, I took a whiff and a sip the instant I popped the bottle.

Also, wine general.
>>
no fucking cue.

i do know that if you decant Carlo Rossi burgundy for an hour, people assume it's a hell of a lot more expensive than $8/half gal.
>>
"Foxy" replies to flavors associated with grapes in the labrusca species (like Concord or Cascade) rather than vinifera (basically all European varietals)

The taste is like Manischewitz or grape juice.
>>
>>7045479
As a follow-up:

Baco noir is a vinifera-ripera hybrid, so the grape is partly native north American. So you might indeed be getting the foxy character.
>>
I'm currently in Germany and want to pick up some nice wines. Does anyone have any recommendations either on specific vineyards or on which regions make the best wines?
>>
>>7046887
Head to the south west. It may take some time, but if you travel for long enough, you'll end up in a place called France where they have some excellent wines
>>
File: mysteryman french.png (14KB, 558x562px) Image search: [Google]
mysteryman french.png
14KB, 558x562px
>>7046898
>le "good" French wine meme
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
More sweet than dry, but packs a hidden punch.
>inb4 flyover
>>
>>7046887
It depends on what you like.

The Mosel-Saar-Ruwer is probably the second best region for Reisling and Gewürtztraminer in the world after Alsace.

Don't hold out too much hope in finding good reds, though, unless you like really, really light bodied wines sold as Spätburgunder.
>>
>>7046887
Mosel is love, mosel is life.

I'm partial to traditional stuff myself but it's not cool anymore. They'll probably laugh you all the way back to the airport if you ask for JJ Prum.

If you want something that will impress the Germans ask for something made by Ulrich Stein.

Germans make really good pinot noir too, but they call it spätburgunder.
>>
File: 1390702894766.jpg (76KB, 239x239px) Image search: [Google]
1390702894766.jpg
76KB, 239x239px
>>7046917
>Mosel
>second best after Alsace
good one, almost had me
>>
>>7043234
Day 2, finishing the bottle
The weird traits are not as pronounced as they were when fresh, but the acidity is good and it tastes more like normal wine. Still with a hint of that weird flavor on the finish but I think I'm used to it now. The musky smell is mostly dissipated.
Wouldn't buy again but it was an interesting experiment. First Canadian wine for me too. I respect them for trying.
>>
>>7046918
Who the fuck cares about impressing Germans?
>>
File: 10151504.jpg (21KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
10151504.jpg
21KB, 400x400px
>>7043234
I work in beer but was given this by a wine rep as a gift. its 2009 vintage. is it worth aging or should i just drink it now?
>>
>>7047233

Literally cellar palate: the post
>>
>>7046927
>>
>>7047246
Yes, cellar it.

2009 was an outstanding vintage in Pomerol. They are seeing high alcohol content across the apellation in '09, so it should age well.
>>
>>7047246
http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/2012/01/2009-pomerol-bordeaux-wines-in-bottle-tasting-notes/

>2009 Clinet – It’s fitting that 2009 turned out to be the best wine from Ronan Laborde, since he began managing the estate ten years ago. This beautiful Pomerol is packed with flowers, licorice, black cherry drenched in sweet chocolate, boysenberry, mocha and spice box aromas. Decadent in texture, with a wonderful purity of fruit and silky tannins, this is the best wine produced from Clinet since their dynamic duo of 1989 and 1990. 97 Pts
>>
>>7046900
French wine is great but everyone knows Germany makes the best riesling in the world, objectively speaking. French riesling is for drinking with shitty Thai takeout noodles. It's better than new world riesling but that's like saying Bintang is better than Foster's.
>>
>>7048637

I'm a huge German Riesling fan, but I'd still take a Clos st. Hune over anything from Germany.
>>
Opinions on New Zealand wine? Its pretty much my go-to wine. Sauvignon Blanc if white or Pinot Noir if red. Its reasoably priced, and I find it very reliable for quality.
>>
>>7050245
Not a fan.

Everyone keeps telling me "oh you just haven't had the right new zealand wine, you should try this one instead!"

But as long as you enjoy it, my opinion doesn't count for shit.
>>
>>7047256
Literally Canadian Butthurt: The Post.
>>
Just say, "wine thread", or just ask a question.

/ck/ is slow enough to not need generals, and nobody want's that here.
>>
>>7050657
Thank you based self appointed mod. Sticky soon?
>>
>>7050245
New Zealand wines are some of the best in the world imo, the alluvial soil makes me feel like I'm drinking rubys and emeralds.
>>
>>7051082
I think you'd have a difficult time finding anyone in the field to agree with you.

With the possible exception of dessert wines, New Zealand wines aren't anything special.
>>
Z W E I G E L T
W
E
I
G
E
L
T
>>
>>7043234
baco noir is ok but because I like heavy reds the mouthfeel just isn't right.
>>
>>7051111

Quads doesn't make you right.

I don't know about bacos, but Beaujolais is love.
>>
>>7051090

I'm in the field and I would say NZ produces a very fine Sauvignon Blanc
>>
File: chinon1.jpg (256KB, 1024x910px) Image search: [Google]
chinon1.jpg
256KB, 1024x910px
Going to open a bottle of this tonight.

Never had a Cabernet Franc before. I got told this one is a good example of the funky character they can have when they are from the Loire.
>>
>>7051156

No shit.

Next you'll be telling me that they grow Pinot Noir in Marlborough too.
>>
>>7048637

>Implying Aussie Riesling isn't excellent
>>
>>7051111
>mouthfeel

Fuck I hate that word.
>>
File: image.png (163KB, 157x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
163KB, 157x600px
>>7043234
Anyone else into Jewish wine, or is it just me? Shit's fucking good.
>>
>>7052561
Umami
>>
>>7052521
Holy shit this is good. At first, it almost taste bretty, like a Belgian Gueuze, with a pretty distinct green olive taste. Something like pomegranate (believe it or not) and sour cherries.

And hour and a half later, it still has that but toned down and the taste is much fruitier, with strawberries and maybe even raspberries. "Red Fruit" I guess. Pomegranite is red too.

Anyway, I like it.
>>
>>7051082
Im glad someone agrees with me.

I find buying white wine very difficult. Much harder than red. I can drink most reds and enjoy them, even the cheap shit. But for white, not so much. I know if I pick up a bottle of NZ Sauignon Blanc for £7-£10, im probably going to get something I like. And at that price range, I dont feel the need to be adventurous.
>>
>>7052905
Some wines develop, change, and demonstrate great complexity as they open up. One of those things you read about in wine books/blogs, and it's cool to see it happen IRL. Good on you.
>>
>>7053357
I got into craft beer first, then whiskey, then wine. To be honest, I put off wine for a while because I honestly though there wasn't as much variation as people said, and it seemed more expensive/harder to get into.

I was wrong. Wine is great, and all the varietals do taste different (so far) and they do change after and hour or a day or two.

I even read a small book on it since I liked it so much. I plan on reading a bigger, more comprehensive book on it soon. Never felt like I wanted to do that for beer or scotch or whatever.
>>
>>7053437
Wine seems like the logical conclusion to my drinking life as well. I went through a similar process as you described
>>
>>7048637
bintang is better than fosters
fosters is fucking disgusting coming from an australian
>>
Hey hey,
I'd like to learn more about wine because while I enjoy it, I always find it very difficult to buy it and usually end up just guessing and hoping for the best. Do you know of any good resources for starting on a general wine education? I'm lucky enough to not be completely in the dark thanks to my parents wine enthusiasm when I was a child but it'd be great to know as much about wine as I do, say, whisky (which I mainly use to shit up whisky threads).
>>
>>7054622
If you focus on one country at a time it helps
New world wines are hard because you can literally put anything in a bottle and call it whatever you want
Europe is a better value and is much easier to make sense of due to the traditions and legal framework that protects the consumer
I'd suggest France, it has the most to offer and it's by far the best documented for English speakers
>>
>>7054631
It makes sense to do it in stages like that. Should I simply learn by experience though or is it worth looking for some background knowledge to begin with?
>>
>>7054640
Both
Book learning and firsthand experience help each other
>>
>>7053437
Samefag here. I went through the beer/spirits thing too; in my family, wine wasn't "manly". I'm glad found otherwise. There are lots of fun ways to explore wine. By country, by wine-producing region, try same varietals from different countries side-by-side, try varietals with similar characteristics side-by-side (acidic whites, tannic reds . . .). If you live in an area with wine bars or good somms, have them custom make a tasting for you - they dig that stuff. Regarding books: There are lots of good books out there, and a lot of garbage too. Years ago, I got a copy of The Wine Bible. There's some good information, but it's written so poorly that I barely made it past the first hundred pages (Imagine if Danielle Steele wrote a wine book).
>>
>>7054631
I've heard it said that in Europe, the vintage is the star; in the new world, the winemaker is the star. The European laws level the playing field for the winemakers, and create wines that are really terroir driven (if 2015's a shitty year, because everyone's playing by the same rules, usually the grapes from the best vineyards will make the best wines). In the new world, the vineyard manager has much more latitude in how and when to irrigate, prune, harvest . . . and the winemaker has more latitude in blending grapes from different vineyards (as long as they're from the same area), how much juice they can press from a given amount of grapes . . . . That being said, at least in the U.S., you can't put "anything in a bottle" and call it whatever you want. Also, the European traditions and legal framework do somewhat protect he consumer, but they also make it much more likely that an off vintage will produce a lot of inferior wine.
>>
>>7054725
> (Imagine if Danielle Steele wrote a wine book).
Well it is written by a woman after all
>>
File: IMG_2897_grande.jpg (90KB, 468x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2897_grande.jpg
90KB, 468x600px
Spanna tonight

If I had to pick one grape it would be this, not even joking
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.