[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cosplay Contests

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: ashitshow.jpg (40KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
ashitshow.jpg
40KB, 600x300px
What are /cgl/'s thoughts on them? Pic related kek
>>
it leads to the elitism of shitty cosplayers with big, badly made stuff when there's no prejudging (and a good amount of the time even when there is). it also just creates unnecessary drama, aka why heros of cosplay was made imo
>>
>>9572162
It's drama and the same people/friends who win them. Case in point, the contestant on the right in the photo you posted is Fantasy Ninja/Indra Rojas who was on Yaya Hans show and then went on to win Yayas Cicaf contest (Chinese World Cosplay Summit knock off) the first year so they were sent to China. Now Indra runs the contest for a small convention in Florida along with other international competitions rather than at bigger venues who would get more entries so her friends can judge at them. Its a circle jerk really
>>
>>9572162
I haven't taken part in it and probably won't ever
they seem to be completely overrun by professionals and stuff bought from professionals
since you also have to skip on shit at the rest of the con, it just doesn't seem fun for people who aren't there to win the money
>>
Depends on the con/event in all honesty
>>
>>9572510
Hmm i guess you're right. It seems like comic cons are usually worse in that regard?
>>
>>9572221
And here you are talking about (((them))). Looks like it works.
>>
I won best in anime category at wizard world comic con in 2016... why the fuck am I not making a spectical of myself like these hoe-bags are over it
>>
>>9572626
Well yes I would talk about them considering it is linking to back to the OPs photo in regards to the topic. So ya it worked that we discussed the topic of drama and the competition circuit at times. Glad you have the ability to read it as something else bud
>>
The one's I've watched and competed in have been pretty fair. They were pre-judged and awards clearly went to those with the best craftsmanship, as opposed to just going to whoever's most popular or showing the most skin. Honestly, most of us just participate in them for a chance of winning back some of the money we spent on the costume or for the opportunity to socialize with other hardcore cosplayers.
>>
>>9572626
That's uh, that's not how you use those echos buddy.
>>
The ones I've competed in at non-Corporate run cons have been pretty good and fair. A friend of mine went to a comic con for one though and like above anon said, it was kinda a circle jerk for all the friends of the judges that the con hired for every contest. Disappointing really.
>>
I've been competing in craftsmanship contests for a little while. I haven't been in any worth mentioning but I still have a good bit of pride for the awards I have won. I've met most of my friends through competing and at the smaller cons everyone seems super supportive and nice. I've learned that you have a good chance of an award with a combination of good sewing, maybe some armor, gem, or jewelry crafting, and if your costume has a good prop. I did move recently and the tastes of the judges is a bit different. Judges tend to favor either sewing or armor craft.
I will not compete in a contest that has no prejudging. From what I've seen it's usually based on wow factor over the combination of design and craftsmanship and I don't personally agree with that. I like talking to the judges and knowing that they really saw my costume and that they know the teqniques that were put into my costume.
That being said, I have started caring less about competing than I used to. I would rather go walk around the convention with friends and take photos than to worry about a judging time and then waiting in line for the walk on stage and all of that. If that doesn't seem like your jam then I don't suggest costume contests.
>>
The contest at my home con judges pretty unfairly. It's sad to see the people lose who put so much effort into making their cosplay as realistic as possible lose to the people who just have a shit ton of money.
I believe it was last year that the person who one first place over an amazing Joker/Harley Quinn duo was a guy who had just purchased an enormous dragon costume with some stupid puppet as the rider, with the cosplayer's head poking out of the top. The dragon wasn't even from anything, though he claimed it was Saphira from Eragon... the dragon costume he had was green. The costume he had was so enormous that he couldn't even walk around the con, he just sat upstairs waiting for the contest.
>>
>>9576792
that's so sad. Reminds me of the contest at RICC, which also doesn't seem to be judged fairly.
>>
>>9572162
Cosplay Contests can be a ton of fun if the right organizers are behind them. Fair rules, good judges, appropriate time allowances on stage for skits and walk ons.

Personally my favorite thing is being in the back with everyone competing. Camaraderie among contestants is the best thing because everyone knows how hard everyone has been working so who better to support you than your peers who are along side you competing???

Yeah there's drama, but for every ounce there's a gallon of amazing content out there.
>>
>>9572162
It's hypocritical. We shit on patreon girls for being attention whores, but these people are also looking for attention. Plus, they don't look at details. Just end result. So, meh.
>>
Florida fag here. Contests here are kinda shitty. Basically any Soflo events are won by the same people . not shocking as they reuse the same judges. In the contests north of there, usually the biggest costumes win regardless if they're shitty or not.

The bigger out of state cons I've been to are pretty fair for the most part.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.