[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lolita in College/University

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 3

File: 554f991de5bb67ea4a78f69f90396289.jpg (346KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
554f991de5bb67ea4a78f69f90396289.jpg
346KB, 1000x1500px
Can we get a thread discussing wearing lolita to college? There's one on here from ages ago, and I need some sort of inspo since I'm thinking on wearing lolita to my university at least once a month next fall semester.

>What kind of university do you go to?
>What are you currently majoring in?
>Do you wear lolita to lectures/classes?
>Do you have any experiences while wearing lolita to university, like reactions or comments?
>What kind of stuff do you wear to a lecture? (Casual lolita, JSKs, Skirts, offbrand stuff, etc.)
>Are there any other lolitas in your university?
>>
Liberal arts

Double majoring in computer science and mathematics

Yes

>Do you have any experiences while wearing lolita to university, like reactions or comments?
I normally get very positive feedback. Random people call me pretty.
Occasionally I get asked if I'm in a play or what the occasion is. Once got asked if I was cosplaying and where my cat ears were. He apologized after class however because he saw he upset me.
>What kind of stuff do you wear to a lecture? (Casual lolita, JSKs, Skirts, offbrand stuff, etc.)
I usually go from casual to regular lolita. I never wear ott to class. No bonnets, only headbows or hats. Usually only one petticoat too.
Not that I know of sadly. I wouldn't mind having a lolita friend here.
>>
>medium public school in US
>Engineering but I may switch
>no
>nothing crazy. People are nice usually. The younger kids think it is cosplay, the children think I'm a princess so I make a point to walk past the campus childcare location when I'm dressed up.
>I'm pretty lazy day to day. Shorts and tee or exercise clothes. I would love to wear Lolita to class but I can't pluck up the courage.
>I've only met two Lolitas in my time here. One was really cute and wore a different coord every day, mostly AP. I was too shy to say much and I think she moved. The other time I saw a Chinese exchange student wearing some sort of JSK, definitely a toned down lolita/otome thing. I said I liked her dress and autismo me couldn't interpret her facial expression well. It was either "ah that's nice whatever" or "huh? Wasn't excpecting to hear a compliment". Then she nodded and went on. Never saw her again, but that one was recent.

I think part of the problem is I like bold prints which don't suit my life as well as something more toned down. I've been saving money to splurge on a nanchatte / class lolita wardrobe though.
>>
Large engineering/STEM university where I'm one of the tiny liberal arts minority
International relations
Ouji quite often in the fall/winter because nice jackets and coats and it's more low key, and I'll wear lolita pieces but never fully styled or with petti
A ton of people recognize the fashion, especially since we have a lot of Asian girls in our student body. Never heard anything negative in general, most people don't have any fucks to give and we're in the city to people are pretty desensitized. Some professors think it's cool, only a couple I could feel judging.
Gothic ouji when I do wear it, normally mixed with a lot of offbrand.
I've spotted some girls wearing brand around campus, but they never wear it with full coord/petti/accessories, similarly to me.
>>
>>9561104
Addendum- I never wear jfash on days I have my Japanese or Japan relations classes because I don't wanna out myself for the massive weeb I am.
>>
>>9561057
Fairly large, fairly highly-ranked university. It's extremely normie on the main campus because the arts department is separate.
Bio
Like twice because I had a late class and I didn't have time to change. Both times I was wearing extremely toned-down black coords with a beret and natural hair so I didn't expect much reaction but I got a bunch of stares. Wouldn't want to do it again to be honest.
Lots of staring. Like, a surprising amount, far more than I ever get wearing lolita elsewhere in the same city. My suspicion is that most of the people who don't stare or ask questions when I'm in the city centre are only not curious because they've already assumed I'm going to a party and written my outfit off as student fancy dress. If I'm on campus it's obvious I'm not on my way to a party so people stare trying to figure out if I've lost a bet or something. I find a lot of older people tend to write off strange clothes by assuming it's just some weird new thing the kids are doing these days, whereas the younger demographic on campus know it's not a popular youth thing and are baffled. The people who do kinda sorta think they know what lolita is usually associate it with lolicon.
Classic/gothic, vintage-leaning stuff. No wigs, no childish hairstyles or styling at *all* because people judge like crazy over that stuff, no novelty bags.
Usually I just wear jeans, boots and a nice sweater to class, which is already a little formal since most here people wear leggings, sneakers and hoodies.
No. Apparently there was one but she graduated. There's like, one goth I've seen this year and nobody else dresses alt at all.
>>
>>9561057
>>What kind of university do you go to?
public, lower level education (we have different levels of education in the netherlands)

>>What are you currently majoring in?
Fashion, only one year left

>>Do you wear lolita to lectures/classes?
yes, almost weekly on the shorter days

>>Do you have any experiences while wearing lolita to university, like reactions or comments?
not much. I get more stares in the city than at my school, but a big part of my school is the artsy type, so they're used to stuff.

>>What kind of stuff do you wear to a lecture? (Casual lolita, JSKs, Skirts, offbrand stuff, etc.)
mostly practical stuff like cutsews with JSKs. I like to be able to move my shoulders (while I'm small, my shoulder blades are sticking out, so most blouses are not that comfortable) and I don't like anything big around my wrists (I'm afraid that will get stuck in the machines if I'm not carefull). I also prefer my hair in twin tails or braided (same reason as wristwear)

>>Are there any other lolitas in your university?
yes! I'm really lucky that there's one other lolita in the first year on the same school who I'm met before at a meet. I like talking to her, it's so refreshing from all the main stream fashion students.
>>
Public general university.
Music technology
Sometimes if I actually feel like putting in the effort to wear something nice. (But only then it's super toned down and rarely with a petti) Most times, I only wear simple, casual clothing to class.
Mainly positive. Some people will ask what I'm dressed for exactly, but other than that, I try not to dress so extravagantly that people will ask me if I'm in a play.
Very casual lolita. Most times it'll just be a simple blouse + simple skirt, and sometimes it'll be a JSK with a cardigan thrown on top during colder weather.
There's a couple other lolitas who are also in the comm with me (and friends). In addition, there's maybe one or two other lolitas who are international students.
>>
>what kind of college
Community college
>Major
Behavioral science
>Do I wear Lolita to classes
No not often because I live in a small town in Texas
>Any experiences
People taking pictures without asking. Some people give compliments though
>What do I wear
JSKs, dresses, casual
>Any other lolitas?
Lol yes. Its me and some ita I haven't bothered talking to. I know that sounds harsh but she dresses like she's mentally ill
>>
>>9561057
>What kind of university do yo go to?
Ex-polytechnic in the UK
> What are you currently majoring in?
Architecture
Yep - I also wear full Romantic Goth, Gothic Aristo, etc. anything black, frilly, and spooky.
Normies can't tell Gothic Lolita from my other types of Gothic outfits, and I get a pretty bad reaction because of the Goth aspect - lots of comments about Satanism/devil-worship/witchcraft from people in the city (usually older, religious types) and comments about me trying to piss off my parents or something. Students not from my class sometimes make comments about me being a freak, weirdo, etc.

A lot of people assume I'm studying a more arts-based course.

I also get the opposite - strangers coming up to me to sincerely compliment my outfits - which is always nice. For some reason, though, despite all the black and Gothic motifs, people seem to assume I'm Steampunk.

My class and tutors are pretty fine with it. We have one tutor who tries to make 'banter' with the class by making weird teasing comments with students, and I get picked out occasionally, but not really more so than anyone else -and he's harsher on the boy-racer/cars type dudes.

Gothic. Usually Bodyline or offbrand stuff because I don't wear my brand day-to-day to protect it. I also wear Ouji, and Aristo. The CAD suite is really hot and stuffy with all the computers in there, so I tend to wear a thick coat to deal with the weather, and then a lighter outfit underneath; fewer layers or removable layers, one petticoat instead of 2/3, etc. I can wear more to lectures, but no hats/bonnets/big wigs that will obscure other student's views.

A couple of itas/weebs :( I hear an actual Lolita has enrolled though
>>
Public university, Philosophy and Letters department.

History.

Yes.

I have a teacher who loves all my outfits (not only Lolita, also other j-fashion stuff) and I get very positive comments from my classmates and other members of the staff.

Mostly JSK's and skirts, mainly Bodyline or not-so-expensive pieces. Casual lolita for extra comfortableness. I wore AP to an exposition, I wanted to be extra fancy. Also, some other more toned-down j-fashions such as fairy kei.

Not currently, but a good friend of my comm also studied here and wore Lolita too.
>>
private art college
Illustration w/ a concentration in theatre and architecture
I dont because its impractical to wear lolita while making artwork, it can get messy. I guess Sometimes I wear otome to my lectures or if I know we're only doing crit in studio.
Not really since otome isn't too out there for art school. Also, its weebs abound especially in the illo dept so im sure if I wore full lolita to class that Id get positive comments.
I know someone in the illo dept has said shes a gothic lolita but i've never seen her wear anything and i wouldnt be surprised if she were a closeted ita desu. There's a person i see around sometimes and they wear.. I guess you'd call it new age fairy kei?? But not really?? just a lot of pastels and they mix in AP accessories and some of their more casual stuff sometimes.
>>
How do I find other lolitas on campus? Besides just walking around wearing lolita which I already do. I'm thinking of maybe stopping by the anime club in the fall, but I have a feeling it'll just mostly be weebs and itas.
>>
Public university, supposedly one of the best in the country.

Law

No. I'd like to be taken seriously.

n/a

My bag and jewelry are usually burando, but otherwise it's pretty toned down jfashion stuff. At most a plain skirt or OP.

The only ones I've seen are very poorly-dressed. There's this one girl in a wrinkly Putumayo JSK I've seen a couple times that looks like one of those Otasa no Hime memes people kept posting here a while back.
>>
>>9561835
I'd avoid attending anime club or Japansoc or whatever equivalents your uni has because you'll probably end up with a reputation as weeb. Join the local comm and ask there.
>>
>>9561870
>implying people don't already think I'm a weeb

Already asked the local comm, no one goes to my uni. Was hoping to find a lone lolita or two, but it seems like it might be just me. Maybe one of the incoming freshmen will surprise me.
>>
Starting my girst semester this fall. Typically have my wardrobe aranged by type/color/brand, but in preperation for school i now have everything arranged from most plain toned down to ott so i can gradually wear lolita from most casual to most extreme so that after i hit the last item it shouldnt be a suprise or shocking to anybody what im wearing.
I have about 60 main pieces right now arranged from a plain solid black IW jsk and going up to a lavender Sugary Carnival OP
>>
Catholic private
Engineering
Very occasionally. I tend to wear a lot of larme and gyaru shit on the regular though.
Have been asked if I was cosplaying and was called "alice", "bo peep" by men, girls all told me I looked cute. Some asked where I got my dresses or if I made them myself.
I try to keep it casual and wear simple OPs without or with a low petti, flats, a bow clip. I wore a full gothic coord for Halloween once.
I know one who works here but no other students.
>>
University of applied sciences

Fashion and clothing

Sometimes. Main reason holding me back from doing it more regularly is that I haul my ass between home and uni on a bicycle.

For the most part it's been to the lines of "nice outfit!" from classmates. Nothing negative's reached me.

Toned down/casual outfits. Simpler JSKs, and might pair a lolita skirt with a normie shirt and casual shoes. I also keep headwear to a simple headband or a couple of clips.

There's another lolita in my class, and at least one in a different major, as well as at least one non-lolita j-fashion wearer.
>>
A regular university? Idk what other types there are. It's supposed to be the best in the country when it comes to my field but it's no Oxford or Cambridge.
Biomed
Never ~true~ lolita but I've worn brand many times in very toned-down outfits, since that's the majority of my wardrobe. I only have one pair of pants.
Lots of "it's not Halloween!" and Little Bo Peep shit, people asking me why I'm cosplaying, many stares, and the occasional "you look like a doll" which is honestly the most pleasant kind of comment I've gotten. One time a girl said she admired my courage for wearing my cute "costumes" to class but would never be able to wear stuff like that outside of cons herself. She meant well, but it kinda hurt. One professor also told me that I should stop dressing like I did if I wanted people to take me seriously. He lectured me on professionalism but not the girl next to me, who was already drunk at 4 PM on a Thursday. Classy.
Plainer JSKs with cardigans over them, skirts with feminine offbrand tops, lots of ETC and some handmade. Mostly off brand shoes and sometimes printed tights or socks, though those would get the weirdest reactions. Practically never headwear, again because of weird reactions and people wanting to touch it all the time.
None that are also in the local comm. I once spotted a girl in a classically ita BxW Bodyline coat with badly dyed pink hair, but only saw her once.
>>
>>9561835
That's really all you can do, and ask your friends if they know anyone that dresses similarly. Maybe hang out with the exchange students on the off chance one of them does it.
>>
>>9561057
Liberal Arts
International Relations with a minor in Middle East Studies & Arabic language
nope
>>Do you have any experiences while wearing lolita to university, like reactions or comments?
I've worn it once or twice to the usual "oh nice dress" comments since I didn't have my wardrobe with me while I lived in dorms. I plan on meeting up with the local comm soon since I have my dresses with me now.
>>What kind of stuff do you wear to a lecture? (Casual lolita, JSKs, Skirts, offbrand stuff, etc.)
My regular attire is somewhere between mori kei and bohemian/hipster.
Yes a couple. I've seen at least two girls wear full coordinates to classes but I don't really see the point since it's more of a downtime hobby as opposed to something I wear daily.
>>
>>9561870
>people caring you watch anime
>in college
Dude no one cares that you like cartoons.
>>
>>9561863
Please please tell me you go to Levin. I need a fellow UF lawlita.
>>
>>9562096
Depends how cringey your local anime club are. At my university I know a lot of people who watch anime and most of them avoid the anime club for its weeby associations.
>>
Smaller Canadian university
Anthropology
Not if I can help it. I've gone to two classes in a full coord - one was right before a con that was running a couple blocks away, and the other was right before a meet in the area.
Not a lot of reactions, but honestly, I don't really put myself out there to get any. I walk with purpose and confidence (read: resting bitch face), which seems to keep people from approaching me. Outside of the university, people love stopping me or yelling things at me (usually positive), but in the halls, no one makes the effort.
I did end up chatting with my favourite prof after a lecture briefly while wearing lolita. She was incredibly interested in my BlxWh oldschool style OP coord and suggested that I cater my term paper towards clothing instead of the topic I had already chosen.
Toned down coords. Classic or oldschool, headbows or hats only. Sensible heels or flat shoes. Small petticoat. Cool pins and purses are okay, but no ostentatious pieces.
Yep, there are a couple of my comm members at my uni! One of them is a first year, just starting classes this fall!!
>>
>>9562096
My uni's anime club is supremely cringey. I used to run my own club's booth during the club sign-up days, and we were always set across from the anime club, and it's the same stinky neckbeard running the booth every term. No one wants to join because of him.
>>
>>9561057
I'm not in school anymore, but I used to wear lolita when I was so I'm answering the questions anyways

It was an engineering school and I was majoring in a smaller less known engineering

I did

There would be a few looks and occasional comments but most people didn't care. No teachers ever commented on it
Mostly simpler outfits with a flashy skirt, but some days I'd go all out.

There was one ;_; needless to say we are still friends

One thing I found very interesting was while nobody cares when I wore lolita, people were giant assholes when I wore anything remotely punk or goth.
>>
>>9562096
At the lab where I did my last internship people literally referred to a guy as "that pedo" because he was into Madoka. Nothing I said would dissuade them from thinking all anime was Japanese cartoon kiddie porn. I eventually stopped trying to explain it because I didn't want to become "that female pedo" tyvm.
>>
>>9561057
Rural community college transfer program
Finishing my Associates of Science, using it to transfer to animal and poultry sciences at a technical university
Yes, except I bring a change of clothes for labs.
I've seen some people take pictures, but any verbal comments have been positive. Older staff seem to really like it. I've had a few professors seem a bit put off at first but once I show I'm taking the course seriously and am a good student they don't mind.
I usually keep things fairly casual, I only wear a little petti and don't wear any tall headwear. I typically wear blouses and skirts but have a couple of plain OPs. I mix things with offbrand sometimes, especially lighter blouses when it's hot. If I'm not wearing lolita I still wear dresses and skirts.
Not that I've seen, I know there's a few conlitas though and a goth girl who's crept into lolita territory. It's a pretty small rural college, so that's expected.
>>
>>9562096
At the uni here, the anime club is just fine. At the college though, it was mostly socially awkward peeps. They were very sweet, just so many shy people who didn't have the greatest social skills. There was a lot of overlap between there and the brony club, so you can guess how that goes.

I've worn lolita to uni before, and I haven't gotten many reactions. For a group presentation for Japanese class, so many classmates were freaking out over my dress.

I think the most I got as a reaction was when I was wearing himekaji. It was winter, so a short skirt and otk socks and everything in shades of peach and cream stood out against the rest of the populace which was 90% greys and blacks, with leggings, jeans, and hoodies. It also amused me at how unsubtle everyone was about staring, but nobody did/said anything outright rude.
>>
>>9561835

Wouldn't it work better to join your local lolita comm? Then ask if they attend your campus.
>>
>>9562612

nvm, just saw your other answer.
Please ignore me.
>>
>>9561057
Art & Design

Clothing and textile design

Yes. I wear lolita almost always on a daily basis. Except when I'm too tired or stressed out to.

Usually people have reacted positively. There have been some weird comments, but even then, the comments haven't been straight up rude, more about people being slightly confused about why someone is wearing special looking stuff ("Is there an event... or... is it some sort of national dress?" is a common question).

Not as bland as casual but nothing extravagant either... Like lolita version of smart casual? Lol. I go all the way to identifiable all out frilly lolita but leave out things that are better for cons (veils, horns, bonnets, strong make up etc.)

Yes, but they don't wear it to uni. Or at least I haven't seen. There was one transfer student who wore casual lolita but I haven't seen her around lately.
>>
>>9562617
*OOPSIE, what I meant to say was "exchange student" instead of "transfer student"~
>>
>>9561863
What a cop out. Why don't you wear lolita to show people that what you wear has absolutely no bearing on your competence, or you just keep the stereotypes perpetuated for all of us that only vain, ditsy airheads can dress quirkily or cutely. Don't be part of the community if you're basically ashamed of it.
>>
>>9562648
What kind of work do you do anon?
>>
>>9562648
Nayrt but she said she sometimes wears plain/toned down stuff, and I don't see a problem with that personally. If you're serious about your school or work you have to dress appropriately for it, save your more OTT outfits for person time. That's true of any fashion, not just lolita.
>>
I'm going to be attending college soon, and I plan on wearing jfash (business casual nanchatte, as nd regular nanchatte)
>publuc hbcu
>Technical/STEM based school
>majoring in animal science so I probably can't wear it as much as I hope
>Luckily I'll be a Freshman, and be taking my GE classes

Does anyone have any experience wearing jfash in schools with demographics who may not be used to it? I live in a small area where all schools have uniforms, and now I'm going to an area where uniforms are mostly worn by religious private schools, and cam girls/prostitutes.
>>
>>9562565
you could always comment on dragon ball z being porn, and watch them flounder when they say 'well no...'
>>
Normie uni
Engineering
No, over 60-80% of the cohort is male.
I wore a toned down skirt+petti once and had a bunch of people turn to look/whisper comments. Also wore otome a couple of times and had the general stares.
Its quite an 'international' uni so theres a lot of asian/chinese students who wear lolita. I see a couple a week on average but mostly without the petticoat/full coord deal.
>>
>>9562648
It's called dressing for the occasion, which is the reason why most people don't wear ballgowns to their class either. I only dress up just enough to be presentable because my top priority during my 10 am contracts lecture is to learn, not to be cute.

Also sorry to break it to you, but Legally Blonde is a movie and most women like Elle Woods would be eaten alive in real life.
>>
>>9563154
tone it down alot, like just the checkered skirt but not with a top that looks too 'school like'. Like a jumper.
>>
>>9563227
>and most women like Elle Woods would be eaten alive in real life
THIS. Her confidence as a movie character is admirable but if it comes at the expense of practicality, people trying to emulate her will fail at whatever they're trying to accomplish.
>>
>>9563269
Architecture anon here - this is why I'm dressing as fancy as I can at uni; I know as soon as I graduate and get a career-based job, I'm going to have dye my hair a natural colour and dress business-normie for work, so I'm enjoying my freedom while it lasts. Sure, I'll still dress frilly for club nights, maybe weekends if I'm not too tired, festivals (eg. WGT, WGW) and whatever meetups I can get to, but I know that I just won't be able to do it everyday.

I'm a mature student, and this is the second time I've studied at university level, and I've had a proper job before my course, where things were a bit more flexible, but still not the sort of place where full-time frilly of any sort was possible. I was allowed unnatural hair-colour as long as it wasn't too bright). The staff knew I was a Goth in my own time, but I didn't dress Gothic (Lolita/Aristocrat/Ouji/Romantic) for work, just normie clothes in black and jewel tones. Architecture is a lot more conservative in its idea of a 'professional aesthetic' as an industry, and not everyone gets to be Odile Decq (award winning 'starchitect' type who dresses like Patricia Morrison on a daily basis).

My partner and I have our own house, and so I'm no longer focussing on making my clothes the prime expression of my aesthetic, but my interior decorating instead - including a home office that's really rather Gothic. twiddly and anachronistic. Plenty of space for lace, velvet, and ornament there!
>>
>>9561057
A comprehensive one, 5 faculties with a plethora of courses.
Biology
Did once or twice.
It was bad, some of my lecturers were kind but my peers were not. Hence only once or twice.
Casual, skirts and JSKs without petti.
>Are there any other lolitas in your university
Yes. But not in my faculty.
>>
>>9561057
Small Christian Uni.
History
Have a few times
Prof asked about it, found out a peer was into medieval costuming because she was intrigued by my clothes.
I was going to a meet right after both so I wore my typical sweet.
No. There's some cosplayers but no lolitas.
>>
>>9561407
Which poly is it anon, I'm starting at uni of Sheffield in September and I have no idea whether to wear lolita to lectures or just give it a pass.
>>
>>9563615
I'm not at Sheffield, sorry. I slowly made my outfits fancier and frillier from when I started (a bit easier when you're a Goth that likes things hyper-detailed frilly, because there's a lot of steps between casual Goth and full Gothic Lolita/Aristocrat/Romantic Goth) so maybe if you're nervous, start with more norm-ish outfits and gradually get frillier/fancier?
>>
Large public state university
Art
Not unless I have an event after a class.
I did it once and I got a lot of weird looks from my classmates. Just walking around campus though, I've had plenty of great reactions from passerbys.
I wear nicely matched normal-ish clothes and accent heavily with my lolita accessories, shoes, etc.
Quite a few (large school) and I think most of them are also in our local comm.
>>
I'm starting university in September and I'm stocking up on new dresses and blouses so I can have an extensive and interesting wardrobe to wear to class. I know that as soon as I'm done with uni I'll probably be stuck in a suit for a large part of my life so I'm going to live it up for as long as I can and try to become an almost daily lolita the coming years.

Besides that I'm doing a political course in the most SJW university in my country while being right-wing myself, so I'd be ostracised regardless of my clothes.
>>
>>9563188
I brought up Pokémon since practically everyone my age grew up watching it, but they didn't believe it was Japanese at first. They eventually conceded that not ALL Japanese animation is cartoon porn, but the majority is, and the rest is for children and it's creepy for adults to watch those. They claimed Madoka was soft core porn because of the squealing and moaning during fights and the focus on middle schoolers in short skirts.
At the risk of sounding like a /r9k/ sperg, all these people were extreme normies who practically only talked about sports and partying and thought that liking Harry Potter is the height of nerdery. I didn't care to be friends with them but since I had to spend 50 hours a week with them for almost a year, I learned not to push things.
>>
Small, private Uni
Fashion Design
Yes
Funnily enough, most of the student steer clear of me, I think they think I'm weird because of how I dress. Which is hilarious considering our degree.
I most of the lecturers seem to enjoy it, comment occasionally.
Casual classic lolita and otome. Generally JSK, cardi/bolero, head wear (beret, hat or clip) and otk kinda deal.
>Are there any other lolitas in your university
Nope. Never seen one.
>>
a "public research university"
computer science
rarely
computer science is a male dominated field and when i wore lolita i could tell it alienated me from my classmates even more. i want to be able to collaborate with my peers so it's kind of imperative that i'm at least semi-approachable. also i don't want to be known to my professors as "the student who dresses weird" but "the student who does good work." i'd rather be borderline normie at school and then change into lolita later to enjoy myself.
otome, solid JSKs with no petti and a cardigan, the type of casual-cute stuff that gets posted in the girly fashion threads.
there was this one obese girl who always wore bodyline's token sweet prints blouseless and pettiless. i saw her a lot at mealtimes and she only ever ate froot loops with her fingers. she probably doesn't count though.
>>
>>9561057
I've finished my degree last year, but I can talk about my past experiences

A big public university in Germany, human science department

Did a bachelor in psychology and will start my master's degree this year

Sometimes I did, but only on short days. I had to travel over an hour to my campus and wearing lolita for too long is exhausting.

I tried my bets to always wear lolita to my exams, as a confidence boost (though sometimes I just needed every minute of sleep I could get and didn't bother).
My bst experience was meeting another lolita in a japanese class.
My worst experience was getting diarrhea and getting my petticoat dirty.

>What kind of stuff do you wear to a lecture?
Mostly casual lolita, I prefered vintage blouses, simple AP prints and berets or clip-in bows.

I did meet one in my japanese class. I think there were some (cosplay)-itas as well.
>>
File: college bear.jpg (145KB, 650x936px) Image search: [Google]
college bear.jpg
145KB, 650x936px
>>9561057
A big one? It is probably 1 tier down from the highest ranking uni in the area. It offers most degree types so there are heaps of faculties, and the campuses are huge.
Fine Arts: Fashion
I did when I first started out but eventually I moved to just wearing it to my minor classes (psychology). It is weird that, even though all the other fashion design students are all eccentric in their own way I didn't feel comfortable wearing lolita around them. It was completely irrational but even though there was competitive portfolio entry into the degree, I wanted to be taken seriously and not just some one trick pony, weeb trash who didn't belong there. Most of the other students also kind of felt the need to work hard and prove themselves to each other out of respect for all the applicants who didn't make the cohort. Aside from that it would have been super inconvenient to work in a studio + work shop full of machinery, on your feet all day, and getting covered in mess.
I haven't really had any experiences, some people say they liked it, but otherwise I just go from A to B.
I will normally wear just my regular lolita stuff, but the commute is long so I always go with my most comfortable pieces.
I know that there are from talking about our studies at meetups, but I have only ever seen other lolitas from my com in casual wear. But like I said the campus is huge so they may be out there.

Pic sort of related. I am graduating in November and am thinking about what to wear, concrit on my coord? I normally wear sweet but thought this would be more appropriate. Anyone else have grad coords in mind?
>>
>>9569139
re: grad coords, honestly, wear whatever you like. Wear something that won't make you feel ashamed of your photos several decades down the road, at least. If you're going to wear a graduation robe, lower the poof so the robe sits properly.

I dressed nicely; my husband who really dislikes formal wear brought out his suit just for me and I wore Cadre du Chat with no petti and minimal accessories. I got lots of compliments which was surprising and nice. Some girls, meanwhile, wore a LBD or a nice blazer, others showed up in jeans, uggs, and a flowy cardigan type assemble. I was honestly kinda shocked at how casually some people treated it because in Europe where my parents are from, graduation is a big deal and all my friends (many of whom are immigrants from various places) also get all decked out for the occasion. But then again maybe not everyone considers a bachelor's degree a big deal, idk.
>>
>>9569873
Wow I am so surprised to hear that treat a bachelors degree so flippantly. As far as I was aware most people get really dressed up for their grad, most of my friends from the same degree looked stunning. Personally I am probably going to be saving up to get my hair salon done the morning of, and for a fancy restaurant to go to with my family who will probably fly from across the country (here's hoping anyway... but that's another story), cause my degree is a pretty big deal for me anyways.
>>
>>9569873
I'm from Europe and graduation isn't a huge deal in my country either. Most people at my Bachelors ceremony were in jeans and I didn't go to my Masters ceremony so idk, but at my husband's Masters ceremony he wore jeans and a sweater and didn't really look out of place. I actually looked overdressed in my simple black IW JSK. The professors are the only ones supposed to wear robes. PhD defense and ceremony is a much bigger deal, since that's the final one and requires by far the most effort. Maybe it depends on the field? My husband and I are both STEM and nobody stops after just a Bachelors in STEM so why make a fuss when you still have like six years to go?
>>
graduated a year ago, but can answer

went to a big state university for bachelor's
went to a private university for graduate

statistical computing

yes both for bachelor and graduate. both universities were in major urban cities though

nothing bad at all since it was very central, urban university. there were students who dressed weirder than i did
the only thing i remember is getting hit on by a weeb who invited me to join his anime club

>What kind of stuff do you wear to a lecture?
casual lolita, no petticoat or flat petticoat. recently converted from classic to AP because their chiffon items are machine washable and don't require ironing unlike a lot of VM/MM items

probably, but i didn't see them. in the more popular foundation classes each lecture would have over 500 people in it
>>
>>9569139
Check if there are any rules. At my uni undergrads have to wear a white shirt and black skirt or trousers with their robes. I wore a white lolita blouse with a fancy collar and a plain black JSK.
For my PhD the rules are less strict so if I ever finish it I'm going to wear a print that relates to my field.
>>
File: 1500604193793-tg.jpg (35KB, 448x604px) Image search: [Google]
1500604193793-tg.jpg
35KB, 448x604px
>all these historian Lolitas
God, I just graduated and wish I could do it over.

Some girls at my school tried to start a 'Lolita club' but they just dressed up in random 'fancy/cute' shit. Was close to sperging on the whole thing but I'm a gymrat with a penor, so I didn't open that can of worms. All fell apart anyway, so all well that ends well.

I'm surprised it isn't more accepted at college or as popular as cosplay has become.
>>
>>9570183
Yeah, that's what I thought too. I found it kinda weird to have to shell out money for robes and the ceremony and then show up to get your photo taken with uggs poking out lol. But I guess there's also all the people who didn't even attend the convocation ceremony, so not everyone cares as much. You dress nice and enjoy the day with your family anon!

>>9570190
Ah, that's interesting. Maybe it's the times, too. My parents graduated in late 1980s Eastern Europe (electrical engineering and economics respectively). I graduated from Psychology so it was all sorts of social sciences at my ceremony. But I also wanted to add that for high school graduation everyone wore nice dresses or slacks/dress shirt as minimum so maybe that contrast was be surprising too.

I too felt overdressed in JetJ, but I felt pretty and confident so I don't regret it lol.
>>
>>9570190
>tfw no graduation ceremony at all

>>9561057
Public uni, arts department

Finally entering Computer Graphics degree

Yes as soon as i started to wear lolita it seemed pretty normal to wear it to any occasions i wouldn't risk damaging my clothes

Most profs like it, compliment on it, or said that reminded them their younger days.
For the students, except several ones who are interested in fashion and know what Angelic Pretty is, my experience has mostly been pretty negative since it's one of the reasons that got people i considered as friends ignoring me. They thought i was getting depressed and scary because of the "gothic" clothes i wear.

Kuro, non pastel sweet, sometimes toned down to only accessories and blouse with normie skirts/dresses.

There was one but she stopped wearing lolita because she earned weight. The only time she wore lolita at uni (a pastel Baby dress if i recall right) she got nasty comment by a girl "are you sure you're ok?" "don't you feel bad to wear this?"
>>
>>9561068
>Double majoring in computer science and mathematics

>Yes

Hah I like you.
I go to a top uni and I believe in our department there's no cute girls. This one time in measure theory class, there's a hot blonde and I talked to her turns out she's a Dutch exchange student. Never witnessed a lolita anywhere in my uni though

>>9570206
>statistical computing
like machine learning and optimization?

Have you gotten a job yet?
>>
Liberal arts, molecular bio so I don't get to wear dresses very often since I'm in the lab so often. Sometimes I'll wear a JSK really casually but that's about as far as I can go. As a senior the classes are super small so we just have our lectures in the lab so I can't even splurge for lecture which kind of sucks. Everyone is really chill about my dresses and I get a lot of compliments, some of the guys treat my sweet prints like a 'Where's Waldo' trying to find all the candies or a hidden bunny somewhere. The only person who has an issue is my genetics prof, she's a hardass and won't let me into the lab if I have a poofy dress on for safety reasons which is totally understandable.
I was surprised to find out there's one other lolita on campus. An ita who wears really shitty bodyline and Yumi King handmade dresses, she's also got the perfect obnoxious ita personality. Needless to say I try to avoid her at all costs.
>>
Tiny liberal arts school
Double majoring in computer science and chinese language
I have worn casual stuff, but I live in the subtropics, so any kind of full coord can be super uncomfortable. I'm also writing my thesis now, so it's hard to find time to wear things that aren't my pajamas.
People in the Chinese department all really like it and give me compliments, but I honestly don't really talk to other cs majors because they're all autistic and boring. One of my favorite professors told me I was cute tho.
JM, emikyu or toned down AP one pieces and skirts with off brand blouses. I also wear shorts and jeans with cutsews a lot, but that's not lolita at all. No headwear, but I always style my hair and wear cute shoes.
There was one girl my first year, but she was kind of ita and I never interacted with her. I'm not part of the local comm, but I'm pretty sure there are quite a few in the area.
>>
>>9563154
Make an outfit in the spirit of Nanchatte using the colors of your school. For a workplace, perhaps come up with an Office Lady version.

https://warosu.org/cgl/thread/8264266
Poking around old Nanchatte threads, the old school sukeban sailor fuku with the longer skirts have some crossover with 20s-30s vintage sailor styles, so work with it.
>>
>>9561057
Small public liberal arts
Music, Microbiology, minor in Anthro.
Unless it's a lab day.
The service workers love it, but I've gotten some comments about looking like a maid. My coworkers at the library think it's neat, and it's a great way to get attention from a potential research advisor without actually doing anything.
Mostly casual/punk, with the occasional classic or ouji coord thrown in once it gets cool enough.
One, but she only does cons.
I'm planning on tabling for a club during orientation to scout out the freshmen.
>>
>>9561947
A fairly large one, supposedly the most specialized one in my field within my country.

Psychology

Sometimes, but always in a more toned-down way. I wear lolita main pieces in casual ways more often than "actual" lolita.

A lot of stares. All the time. This also goes for my regular clothing style so I guess I'm used to it. I don't have any friends in university so I wouldn't know what people actually think of it.

I wear a combination of vintage, otome, casual classic lolita (think Fanny Rosie) every day. I don't own jeans, so it's not like there's a huge difference between lolita days and regular days.

Nope. I've never even seen anyone in alternative fashion at my uni, let alone j-fash. It truly is normie central.
>>
>>9572402
(Sorry anon, I didn't mean to reply to you)
>>
>>9571496
There are a surprising number of girls in my comp sci classes, aka at least 3 not including me. My math classes, due to my University having a giant education department, lean much more heavily female than male.
Hoping to find someone here who wears lolita, computer scientist or not, this fall.
>>
>>9574476
>Hoping to find someone here who wears lolita, computer scientist or not, this fall

Maybe you could found a lolita club, some girls will join
>>
>freshman year
>wearing lolita and eating lunch at the dining hall with one of my friends
>guy comes up to me
>here we go
>guy asks what brand I'm wearing, if it's ap or baby or something
>mfw
>"Oh it's Heanuli, a korean indie brand. You know what lolita is?"
>"Of course!"
>he says he really likes it and then goes back to eat with his friends
>never see him again
>transferred after that year

It's one of the only times anyone's recognized me in lolita.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.