[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cosplay groups - ideas and annoyances

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: dc-bunny-villains-00.jpg (318KB, 1500x643px) Image search: [Google]
dc-bunny-villains-00.jpg
318KB, 1500x643px
I'm intrigued in what you all think makes for a good cosplay group which isn't the standard bunnies etc.
I wanted to do a cosplay group with some friends where we all dress up as characters from popular mobile games and wondered whether you'd appreciate it?

Let me know you're quirky ideas or pet peeves about groups!
>>
pet peeve: when doing a bunny suit group and it's super obvious nobody used the same pattern. playboy bunnies have the exact same suit - these girls are all wearing different necklines, different leg openings, it looks like a fucking mess.
>>
File: DarkestDungeon.jpg (58KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
DarkestDungeon.jpg
58KB, 460x215px
Would a Darkest Dungeon group see any kind of recognition at a con?

We've made costumes and done cloth-to-costume sewing before for parties and the like but not a full on cosplay, Darkest Dungeon is something we all enjoy and the minimalist designs seem to be perfect for novices at work.
>>
The only time I've ever done a cosplay group I was so desperate to do it I made every single costume myself and just made my friends wear them. It was stressful and drama inducing and some of my friends didn't even like the source content/know the characters I made them. 4/10 overall because I trust my craftsmanship and we got some nice photos.
>>
I agree a lot with >>9558187 about peeves - especially specific to this group -
>no consistency in fabric or design choices: some of the girls have shirtcuffs, some have gloves; different ears; some girls are straight-up wearing corsets and panties
>no consistency in footwear: platforms, wedges, boots
As a general rule when doing redesigns or crossovers or the like, any two members of a group should be able to stand next to each other and it should be obvious that they are from the same group. If rave-panties Joker stood next to no-ears Catwoman, it would look like a coincidence, not a deliberate group choice.
>>
>>9559826
That was a paragraph of ranting, so here's actually answering OP's questions:
>what makes for a good cosplay group
- Consistent fabric choices. Even if your characters don't follow the same design silhouette (since it sounds like you're looking to cosplay as characters from mobile games), make sure that people are all using matte satins or medium weight twills or whatever, with the same level of details/embellishment. A group doesn't have cohesion if one person used broadcloth and a simple interpretation of design versus another person with brocades and creative beading.

- Figure out group poses and the order of positioning yourselves. You don't want to accidentally pop off the same pose that someone else is doing next to you.

- Establish standards of quality. Is everyone wearing a wig? Is everyone buying shoes from the same retailer? Is everyone bringing a prop of their own?

- Share patterns, if necessary. Again, this applies only to groups with similar designs (like sailor scouts or school uniforms), but everyone having the same bow or cut of skirt really makes a difference.
>>
I recently had a cosplay group go to shit because a group member got jealous of the other girl's in the group. It got really messy.
>>
That Ivy looks like she's completely done with life.
>>
>>9559215
>Would a Darkest Dungeon group see any kind of recognition at a con?

im sure a good majority of the people wont know who you guys are cosplay as but will probably take pictures regardless because of the character designs.
>>
my pet peeve is when groups all dab in group photos.
>>
File: yamazakitag.gif (3MB, 225x126px) Image search: [Google]
yamazakitag.gif
3MB, 225x126px
I want to do a Gaki no Tsukai group and dare people to try to make us laugh.
>>
>>9564161
You would be my heroes. Extra points for people dressed as oni or the army guys from the batsu games.
>>
>>9559215
Overconfidence is an insidious killer
>>
>>9564166
Oh yes, can't forget the buttslappers.

Which was your favorite theme? I would want to do EDF because I think they stand out the most.
>>
>>9564036
HOLY SHIT THIS I know a cosplay group who do this in almost every single group shot baka
>>
>>9564175
Please be in California anon because I want in on this.

While I'm really tired of swimsuit/ belly dancer/ bunny/ Slave Leia/ etc. I think the main theme I'm tired of is lazy gijinkas- mainly one of the above with an Eevee gijinka. You could do so much and yet a red bunny suit and ears is suddenly Flareon? I'm also tired of random armored characters but I cut those slack because it takes more effort.
>>
File: taokaka_by_kaka_clan-d9h04ul.png (291KB, 655x1009px) Image search: [Google]
taokaka_by_kaka_clan-d9h04ul.png
291KB, 655x1009px
Going to join a group of friends cosplaying Blazblue characters, but I kind of wanted to do an alternate palette of Taokaka so I didn't get any tards screaming about me cosplaying a dark skinned character. Everyone else will probably be doing regular palettes. What do you guys think? Will I stand out too much?
>>
Holy shit communication is key. I was in a group once and we wanted the fabric to be consistent. We live in different locations so once we decided which fabrics to use, one person was going to purchase the fabric, divvy it up, and then we would pay them. Problem is, one person went out and bought all the fabric before even consulting the group. The stuff they chose wasn't right and most of the group avoided paying them because why pay for something you didn't ask for/aren't going to use. Needless to say, the group fell apart pretty quickly after that.
>>
>>9564829
Wear a mask or wear a normal face, or do pure black on your entire face from lips to brows to everything. That's not blackface Andy only a dumbass would call you on that
>>
>>9564853
It's not the mask so much as the legs that are the problem.
>>
>>9564829
You could buy tan coloured tights so you're not ~technically~ changing your skin. Also if you opt for lighter materials, the darker you look alsop.
>>
File: 1495567778220.jpg (45KB, 960x733px) Image search: [Google]
1495567778220.jpg
45KB, 960x733px
>Tfw your friends want to do a group cosplay and they don't like any of your suggestions
>Tfw they don't get that they are too old and large to pull off skinny high school children
>>
I just wanted to pop in and say that I started the bunny group thing and I am sincerely sorry for that. I got a Facebook memory yesterday pointing out that it's been like 5 years and people are still making them. Sorry seagulls.
>>
>>9565105
>look at me! I single handedly started a trend!! Meeeeee!
Fuck off. Bunny suit cosplays have been around longer than that
>>
>Decide to do a group for a con half a year away
>Totally 6 people involved
>We choose a series I'm not interested but others are
>I get the mean bitch character since she fits my body type
>Fast forward 1 month until the con
>I got everything done since I also have other costumes to do to other cons
>Ask about others
>No one else have even started
>Don't mind, it happens all the time
>A week before con
>"Oh, Anon, I will be on other group"
>"It's too late to make it so it won't be finished"
>"What group?" etc
>Find out I'm the only one who made the costume
>Be the annoyed bitch whole weekend
>Others didn't get why I was annoyed
>At least I look like the character body wisely

It was the last time I grouped with anyone
>>
>>9564801
I'm in Los Angeles so yes. Though I wish I had a big group to pull this off.
>>
Being the only seamstress in a Love Live group, was the worst experience ever. They insisted we make our own cosplays in order to make them all sparkly and ~*original*~ but everyone wanted to make their own stuff despite half of them never having sewn anything before. I ended up leaving the group before they started and suggested they use the money from a gig to commission me so everything looked the same but they spent it all on entirely new outfits that didn't even fit everyone. Quite unfortunate.
>>
>2 years ago
>Make Facebook post asking if anyone wants to be part of a cosplay group for a con which was 2 months away
>This one girl messages me
>"I can cosplay [x] character!"
>I'm excited that I actually got someone on board
>The next day, she sends me a pencil sketch of the character in a simple outfit that she designed
>"This is what I want to wear!"
>Politely tell her that I want to do the canon outfits
>"But anon, her canon outfit is too hard to make :("
>I decided to just give up on making a group

Oh well.
>>
A friend of mine and another girl I've met once want to both cosplay dark magician girl, so I asked if i could join. 'no you don't know how to sew' bitch ust because you have a sewing machine doesn't mean you can sew, I've seen your seams and uneven sewing, wrong fabric choices and odd fitting costumes.
I know of want to still make dark magician girl so I can show them I can make something.
>>
Groups give me vietnam flashbacks from when I was part of one that used me as a Korean sweatshop. Nobody else knew how to sew, so I'm pumping out 6 costumes for various body types. To be fair, they did wigs and props, but that much sewing just... *shudder* never again.

For groups, uniformity is key. If they're wearing uniforms, everyone should buy the same one or buy all their fabric at the same time. Buy all your buttons at the same time, notions, uniforms are UNIFORM.

It's also important to keep everyone's skill level in check. If you're doing a group and one person can't sew that well and the other is an award winner in craftsmanship... there will be a discrepancy and it'll look like you all just met in the hallway, not that you planned it.

When it comes to groups like Sailor Moon, beyond the fabric you have to decide uniformity in design elements. Are you doing accurate wigs or more flattering natural colors (no highlighter yellow on Venus but pale blonde on Usagi, it'll be jarring), are you knife pleating or doing gathered circle skirts, etc.
>>
>>9564829
Which color? And does your group have an Azrael? These are important to answer
>>
>>9566091
Man I fucking wish. We have a Jin, a Relius, a Kokonoe and a Terumi, and then I wanted to be Tao. We all want to cosplay our mains (except Relius because he doesn't think he could pull off Amane). We do have a friend who's second best is Azrael but he doesn't have the physique for Azrael and he knows it.

I'd love to have a Bang or Ragna too, but sadly I don't live somewhere with a huge amount of Blazblue players.
>>
>>9565296
I can relate to this so much. Had 6+ months to plan and my cosplay group (which happen to be friends in real life as well) end up doing nothing all the months then trying to do bullshit towards the end. One showed up with some garbage that looked like it was put together in an hour, the other shows up in a store bought Halloween costume from party City and the last showed up with nothing. Meanwhile I busted my ass for 6 months but the cosplay just didn't seem cool since it was group oriented.
>>
File: IMG_0679.jpg (77KB, 698x289px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0679.jpg
77KB, 698x289px
Are y'all ready for Dads?
>>
>>9574490
Assuming they're cosplayed by actual guys and not fujos.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.