[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SDCC 2017

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 26

File: The Last Of The SDCCicans.png (2MB, 736x1104px) Image search: [Google]
The Last Of The SDCCicans.png
2MB, 736x1104px
SDCC is only 10 days away or 9 days with preview night. I know the majority of /cgl/ doesn't go to this anymore but just incase.
>Are you going?
>Is this your first time or do you go quite regularly?
>What are you excited for?
>What do you plan on doing? exclusive trading, autographs, cosplaying, photography, or simply just enjoying the con
>Will there be a non-existent meet up?
>>
>>9556875
Why did /cgl/ flee this con ?
I'm from Europe so I did not follow what happened but I thought of maybe going one day.
>>
>>9557231
If I remember correctly its because
-Its expensive
-Its literally line con
-hard to get into due to the lottery system for tickets and downtown hotels
-It use to be fun where you didnt have to plan and it first come first serve but to get most out of the con you have to plan the entire con and have fallouts just incase
>>
>>9556875
Bumping in hopes I'm not the last SDCCican
>>
I'm attending.

I'll be cosplaying Sylvanas Windrunner on sat.
>>
>>9557507
>-Its literally line con

only if you want to get into the BIG name panels like game of thrones, WB panels, Marvel Panels, etc. since those literally take an extra day and a half just to get into it.

other than that, it really isnt so bad. ive gotten into any other panels with no big problems at all.

i feel that despite how big SDCC is, its much more organized and flows better than something like AX.
>>
>>9562252
You get all 4 day or single day pass?
>>
>>9562273
they've had better years where its was organized and smooth, but one or two of their past years where absolute poor. its pretty nice now since its only two lines which is the everything line and H hall line.

H Hall, Ballroom 20, and Indigo Ballroom are the rooms where you can waste a day and hear from attendees bitch and moan the most.
>>
File: small.jpg (300KB, 800x937px) Image search: [Google]
small.jpg
300KB, 800x937px
>>9562252
Would you like to shoot?

I'm trying to more than just jumping into lines to buy stuff

garmforward at gmail if you do
>>
>>9562275
see, i never bother with those panels anymore since they stream that stuff officially now.
I know people like going to them because they want to be able to experience it first hand and I totally get that but im not willing to waste an entire day just trying to get in.
>>
>>9562327
most of the all the panels are either streamed or someone is going to Vlog it later on. I always pick autographs over panels if I'm luck enough which so far ive been. From chit chatting with some of the attendees most just want to get close enough to see their favorite celebrity which is why they want to get into H hall.
>>
I'm actually going. Sadly the one panel I want to go to isn't on one the days I'll be going to.
>>
>>9562838
what panel did you want see? you could probably catch on youtube later if its popular.
>>
>>9557231
long time SDCCer, there's a lot of reasons
>normies
and i'm not one to trash normies normally, but there are a lot of people who are there that are tangentially interested at most in the properties. instead, they are actually there for the spectacle or to people-watch rather than actually engage anything. that's no fun.
>long lines
mostly for the hall h/ballroom 20 stuff. i've given up on that entirely.
>tickets
sell out within 40 minutes. better hope you're in one or more buying circles. plus a good number get sucked up by prereg (which I am part of)
>pricing
hotel rooms within a half mile were $700/night for a 2bed room the day that tickets were available. add airfare/gas, $40-50/day badges, and food and for a lot of people that 4-day long weekend costs as much as a week in hawaii.

btw if anyone needs a room with a bed I've got a spare for $300 4 days (wed thru sun). friend broke leg in a bike accident this weekend.

i'm kind of curious, as someone who's never bothered to cosplay given the distance... i noticed at least once that the masq signup dates were before the actual ticket sales. were you expected to sign up first and then try to get tickets if you wanted to be part of the masquerade?
>>
Sdcc makes me feel out matched. A lot of the people now are ruch people who go to be seen. So unless you have been going since the begining I dont see the point. You arent going to enjoy yourself unless you have connects and tons to spend. I dont go tocons to feel like a loser. They need to clear the rooms so you get a shot at a seat.
I dont eventhink I will go just to mingle. Plus is in san dieago. That whole area is just gentrified silicon valley nightmare. I didnt even attempt tickets. Between the studios and google good luck.
I'm so disappointed I dont think I will even stream it.
>>
>>9557231
>>9557507
>>9563019
tl;dr it got super corporatized which kills the fun
>>
>>9563098
You can have companies and have fun. The real problem is that it kept growing without capacity going up.
>>
>>9563019
SDCC isn't a loners affair anymore now you got to go in as a group now a days which blows.

The tickets sell out quicker than that. the record is between 10-15mins the last two years they don't close when they sell out.

if you get into the downtown hotel sales its only $450 a night max. if you try to book a 6 months advance your going to pay a inflated rate and anywhere that around down will try to charge the same as the hotels right next to the convention.
>>
>>9563174
I dunno, when I started going there were a lot of fans of the stuff. People were excited to meet creators, other fans, etc. People wanted to connect to the creators and attend workshops and get tips about their own stuff.

In the modern social media age, the 'prestige' of going to SDCC is, for many, just to be the first one to see [X] upcoming summer blockbuster/TWD/GoT/MCU?DCCU movie trailer. The fact that you'd probably have to camp out starting 10AM Friday to get into Hall H for Saturday is ridiculous.

A lot of this is the commodification/commercialization of 'geek culture' - a term I strongly dislike, but actually applies to this scenario. This was inevitable with Disney, the tyrant of brands, acquiring Marvel and Star Wars, but was exacerbated by the companies themselves. To be expected since the brands were now lucrative in more than a niche fashion, but still disappointing.

Capacity is a problem, but so is corporatization.
>>
>>9563209
Well I sure as fuck didn't pay $700/night, I waited for some poor fuck to inevitably drop out of their non-refundable room (which is a bullshit policy, by the way) and swooped in at a ~50% discount.

If you're willing to play the odds there's always someone who drops out for some reason, or cancels on their AirBNB host at the last minute and you can get a much more reasonable price.

Also I actually go lonermode for at least half the con despite having a half dozen regular friends who go as well. But yeah, tickets is impossible without a circle. Been in prereg since I've been going for 11-12 years, but yeah the ticket sale windows have been tiny. I remember the year Ticketleap crashed. 3+ hours sitting at my kitchen table F5ing that yellow fucking frog. Just a harbinger of things to come.
>>
>>9563237
this will be my 11th year in a row. I only group mode tickets and hotels, but the majority of the con is pretty easy to loner around. the only thing I'll buddy up for is autographs since that's what I mainly go for I'll either have my roomshare mate help me or ill buddy up with another person in the line if there friendly enough and willing which surprise works most of the time.

I remember that year to it was a shit show, they'd fix it and just 10 seconds after they fixed it'd crash again, ticketleap wasn't able to handle the flow traffic. I miss the good old days of just prereg for next year during con.
>>
>>9563229
You're not wrong in that a lot of people do just want to go because it's SDCC. There are still lots of people who want to go to those panels because they actually care about the topic, see the creators, ask questions, all that jazz. They just happen to be mixed in with all the "normies"

>>9563237
>>9563271
It's a view into AX a few years down the line. I'm dreading it. Already you have a few people camping out front for autographs overnight but at least badges are plentiful.
>>
>>9557507
>>9563098
These

The last few times I went, it was horrible. I cannot tell you the amount of frat boy types that were there clearly trolling for pussy and that was just...it was like being in a Facebook comment thread.

Also, I shouldn't have to go to a COMIC con and literally hear someone say "who the fuck is Stan Lee" out loud.

I hate SDCC now.

>>9563274
>a view into AX
And Colossal. Colossal is getting pretty bad too population-wise. I honestly don't think the con itself is big enough for the crowd it draws. Because let's be real it's about the pool and the drinks at this point.
>>
>>9563274
>>9563274
you can't really camp out for autographs tho line start at 8am in sail pavilion and the raffling begins right at 9-10am. they're cracking down on the line hoppers now who wait for the line to extend out the back. It also depends on what you want and if its way to popular sometimes its a first come first at the booth on the floor. last year I was really successful and lucky got 6 autographs.
>>
>>9563282
You have to camp out front near Hall H. It's the big line that starts underneath the tents and isn't the Hall H line. That line goes inside and then splits into autographs, exhibit hall line, and tickets for exclusives lines.

>>9563278
Colossal's only claim to fame is the fact it's at a water park.

tfw you miss cgl meetups at SDCC. I don't think there's been a good one since probably 2013, maybe 2012.
>>
>>9562844
The Voltron panel. I wonder how packed it'll be since it is a pretty hot show right now.
>>
>>9563307
its just the everything line most of the time their very few campers if you show up around 6am its never past the back of the con so its not that bad, most of the people that camp out are for the H-hall line anyways. once the everything line is over with they fill in the space with the H-hall line now that line you see everyone with a sleeping bag or pillows and blankets. the only time the everything line is bad is if you show up when the con is just opening.

>>9563307
I would say 2012 after that dwindling down to few seagulls 2016 nothing happened.
>>
>>9563274
Yeah, my bad on the wording. I didn't mean to imply that fans don't attend anymore, but the percentages aren't anywhere near what they used to be. You used to be able to strike up a conversation with your neighbor in a panel and they would almost certainly be a big fan you could sperg out a bit on your shared love of the topic. I wouldn't bother anymore unless you're in dire need of a blank-faced stare.
>>
>>9563324
I don't think it'll be that packed but I'm not a big voltron fan. depending on what they show or talk about and if it popular someone will probably post something about it.
>>
File: shopping.jpg (55KB, 485x455px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
55KB, 485x455px
>Are you going?
Yes, I'm with the volunteer crew and have a badge for the entire event.
>Is this your first time or do you go quite regularly?
I grew up going to SDCC every summer but haven't been in the past 8 years due to the military always having something going on the week of SDCC. In 2012 I went briefly to preview night and about two hours of opening day before leaving to get on a plane for the Marine Corps.
>What are you excited for?
Walking the hall and seeing how much everything's changed, despite the massive influx of #lolimnerdy fucking normies, people are still really pleasant.
>What do you plan on doing? exclusive trading, autographs, cosplaying, photography, or simply just enjoying the con
Enjoying the con mostly, I've got an in with the staff and party crowd. I'll definitely be trudging through the WoTC booth for pic related. Also working on Bob Belcher cosplay, I've been grooming my moustache for the past month...
>Will there be a non-existent meet up?
I would hope so, as /cgl/ is not my home board, I don't know the etiquette
>>
Any parties going on?

I want to meet people
>>
>>9556875
> Yep, this is my... 11th consecutive year? Been going since 2007.
> SU panel, pro wrestling stuff, Last Airbender/Korra things, CBLDF, Comics Art Conference, CPTLA, making new friends
> mainly panels! and some shopping
> it will not exist I assure you, seeing as how last year's meetup ended up not happening
>>
OP here

>>9566279
This is my 11th year consecutively too.

You going for SU Autograph its going to the be the last year to get a SU autograph

I was there to and no sign of Freeman so it didn't really happened.

>>9565724
/cgl/ isn't my homeboard either but I wouldn't mind doing a crossboard meet up at SDCC.

tho i'm not a night life guy so I don't much of the clubs or bar in the Gaslamp.
>>
>>9566246
dante basco is throwing a party at the bassmnt on thursday
>>
>>9566440
Freeman didn't get a badge last year. I let him borrow mine for a few hours. I haven't heard from this year so I'm assuming he's not going.
>>
Oh and what used to happen is that we would meet at one of the stairways outside the convention center and then hang out or go get food or whatever. I forget which stairs it was. I think it was D or E but my memory fails me. If someone wants to organize it go for it but most people on cgl seem to spend all their money going to AX since SDCC is just too expensive and you have to lottery for badges which are also too expensive. The last good one back in 2012 had maybe a dozen of us and after that numbers have just dwindled.

I still say hi to Precious whenever I see her but I doubt she even remembers me, heh
>>
>>9566488
Its still at the stairs in the front of the convention. I went to the 2015-2016 that one was pretty much 6 then 4 and 2017 was no one. tho I thinking if we do a meet up it'd be more of a crossboard meet up than a /cgl/ meet up since /cgl/ really doesn't go to SDCC anymore
>>
File: CkXh3D0UgAEW0qG.jpg (134KB, 1000x601px) Image search: [Google]
CkXh3D0UgAEW0qG.jpg
134KB, 1000x601px
Was planning on cosplaying this year, but they've closed off the stairs area this year and that was prime cosplay real estate. No clue where photographers are going to set up now or what everyone's going to do. Fuck all, I guess.
>>
>>9566507
You mean they need a badge to get to there now or what?

>>9566505
Very few people who go to SDCC also go to this board period nowadays. Even crossboarders.
>>
File: 1125x1500.jpeg-2-3.jpg (433KB, 1125x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1125x1500.jpeg-2-3.jpg
433KB, 1125x1500px
>>9566524
nayrt but yeah pretty much. They've set up RFID readers before the stairs. Even have a tent set up for staffers to man the area.
>>
Anyone in the past years participate in the nickelodeon autographs line. I can't find any information on it this year and don't know it first come first serve at the booth or luck of the draw at sail.
>>
Random roomshare person dropped out on me. I have an actual sofa bed available at the spring hill Marriott for $75 a night if someone doesn't want to roomstuff.

However, it's Wed/Thurs/Fri nights only. No Saturday night.

I'm not a /cgl/er (seagull) but it wouldn't make sense to post this on /tg/.
>>
>>9566507
>tfw ghosting
>tfw not sure what i'm gonna do now
>>
>>9567386

kek, I'm at the Spring Hill sleeping on a sofa bed myself.
>>
>>9566440
Oh I'm not into autographs, but I'm doing the SU panels on Fri/Sun. Will try to get that sweet limited-edition vinyl too and the fanzine.
>>
>>9567643
Well if you don't wanna share the bed...

It's actually a pretty good hotel for the price and location.
>>
>>9567697

Oh no absolutely, I'm already in a room with others, I just thought it was a funny coincidence that someone else was here offering up a sofa.
>>
File: 1499942647386.png (610KB, 604x804px) Image search: [Google]
1499942647386.png
610KB, 604x804px
Is it really that hard to get tickets to SDCC?
>>
>>9568230
The tickets sales are lottery system so it quite difficult if your alone but you'll have better success in group buy.
>>
Just saw a fit shirtless Spidey cosplayer walk back into his hotel room after filling up an ice bucket... *_*
>>
How's everyone's con going so far.

>>9569231
Its was a hard day for spiderman
>>
>>9569231
I will give cgl points to whoever can get a pic of this guy
>>
>>9569231
>>9569327
yeah jsut like the kikashi cosplayer at fanime, or the pink shirt guy at AX, who both were also caught 'getting ice in the hotel'
fuck off dude, its getting really pathetic. no one cares how much you work out.
>>
so was Jessica Nigri actually hired to be at the Hearthstone Icecream place or did she just wallflower there long enough to take selfies w the actual employees?
>>
>>9569851
The latter.
>>
Anyone down to meet up tonight or is everyone stuck in a line somewhere?
>>
>>9570907
I'm possibly down for a meet up if you respond in time. Right now just chilling at our hotel.
>>
In a party line now
Fun tastic
>>
If you guys aren't doing anything you can probably grab snacks from sails pavilion as long as the masq is still going
>>
>>9571249
Are the snacks free?
>>
>>9571256
Yes but I hear they ran out of cupcakes
>>
File: IMG_7559.jpg (177KB, 640x810px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7559.jpg
177KB, 640x810px
Cosplay from SDCC! Or what I saw from my booth and what I saw was actually very little, surprise, surprise.
>>
File: IMG_7560.jpg (138KB, 440x806px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7560.jpg
138KB, 440x806px
>>9573156
An actual superhero!
>>
File: IMG_7561.jpg (156KB, 640x813px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7561.jpg
156KB, 640x813px
>>9573158
Someone from Black Butler and someone from Sandman? I thought they were together but then we started talking about what they are from.
>>
File: IMG_7562.jpg (130KB, 391x729px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7562.jpg
130KB, 391x729px
>>9573160
Liked this Harely a lot. My camera doesn't do it justice, but she was sparsely AF. Everything on her was blinged out with glass beads and her shoes too.
>>
File: IMG_7563.jpg (161KB, 574x676px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7563.jpg
161KB, 574x676px
>>9573161
From the Simpsons! Thought it was a cute idea.
>>
File: IMG_7564.jpg (134KB, 371x823px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7564.jpg
134KB, 371x823px
>>9573163
Saw a handful of Skullkids that ranged from award winning to paper craft crap. I would say this guy fell in the middle. People need to learn how to pose for their cosplay pics.
>>
File: IMG_7565.jpg (117KB, 398x699px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7565.jpg
117KB, 398x699px
>>9573166
Of course there were a million Ricks. But this was the first one I saw with a Mortey that was a kid. After I took the pic, as they were walking away the little boy looked up at Rick and very excitedly said "That's six now!"
>>
File: IMG_7569.jpg (158KB, 640x607px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7569.jpg
158KB, 640x607px
>>9573167
Gogo and her mace.
>>
File: IMG_7570.jpg (147KB, 496x821px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7570.jpg
147KB, 496x821px
>>9573168
My favorite princess. Taco Bell. This was a bad angle. Her tacos were filled with bright lettuce and meat and tomatoes and cheese.
>>
File: IMG_7572.jpg (130KB, 471x745px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7572.jpg
130KB, 471x745px
>>9573170
Eye candy.
>>
File: IMG_7573.jpg (113KB, 398x697px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7573.jpg
113KB, 398x697px
>>9573171
Sid's toys!
>>
File: IMG_7574.jpg (147KB, 640x636px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7574.jpg
147KB, 640x636px
>>9573174
Mosse couldn't shop love gazing at Shampoo. Love me some old school cosplay.
>>
File: IMG_7575.jpg (123KB, 422x675px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7575.jpg
123KB, 422x675px
>>9573175
Cool genderbent council women from FBAWTFT. These two were more impressive in person cause they were both like 6'5 tall and skinny.
>>
File: IMG_7576.jpg (65KB, 348x429px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7576.jpg
65KB, 348x429px
>>9573177
Cutie Indian Jones Ladies. The heart lit up.
>>
File: IMG_7577.jpg (190KB, 640x763px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7577.jpg
190KB, 640x763px
>>9573178
The Coon and Choas. You would think there would have been more superhero South Park boys.
>>
File: IMG_7578.jpg (173KB, 591x792px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7578.jpg
173KB, 591x792px
>>9573180
Corpse Bride and Professor Flink. The Professor was upset he couldn't find Sally, who had run off again.
>>
File: IMG_7579.jpg (120KB, 640x454px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7579.jpg
120KB, 640x454px
>>9573182
Disasterina (famous LA drag queen), BJ, and HeMan peeps.
>>
File: IMG_7581.jpg (187KB, 632x743px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7581.jpg
187KB, 632x743px
>>9573183
Pine Twins! Sadly didn't see ONE Bill.
>>
>>9573184
And last one, a random OW group.

Til next year!
>>
File: IMG_7582.jpg (118KB, 640x458px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7582.jpg
118KB, 640x458px
>>9573187
>>
>>9573163
It's a real restaurant chain. Not from the Simpsons.
>>
>>9573212
Oh?? Well cool, ya learn something everyday. Btw, it literally just came to me the Simpsons version of Big Boy Burgurs is Lard Lads Donuts. It's all coming back to me.

Speaking of Resturant moscat cosplay. There was a guy dressed as an In and Out drive threw person, had the hand held computer too and headset. He made a looooot of people mad by taking fake orders while they were in hour long lines. They got their hopes up pretty bad.
>>
>>9573282
my money is he actually worked at in n out and was able to go.
>>
>>9573282
Saw him too on sunday. Also the sibling duo from hellboy 2 was in line with me at Starbucks. Sadly, didn't notice my phone charger was unplugged on Sat night and had a dead battery.

There seemed to be a bit more cosplay overall this year this last year, though most of it was closet-ish. Still, always glad to see more.
>>
Did anyone get pics of the shirtless Kakashi cosplayer I saw there?
>>
>>9574019
I did see one but he wasn't particularly impressive
>>
>>9573427
>There seemed to be a bit more cosplay overall this year this last year, though most of it was closet-ish. Still, always glad to see more.

Same. The more people in costume, the better. Feels more like a party that way.
>>
>>9574039
he was hanging around the gaming area most of the time and I would agree he wasn't that impressive
>>
>>9573427
I think closet cosplay is fine for SDCC, it is so crowded and hot that more impressive costumers generally end up standing out front in a shaded spot for the whole day. On the other hand I ran around as Princess Leia in the white potato sack dress and I was soooooo cool and comfy. It was accurate, but so simple and airy that it was perfect for that con.
>>
>>9573156
I think she is the best one. that's dedication.
**I don't mind not getting in. it didn't seem that impressive. I hope it keeps going so that more fan cons can thrive.
>>
>>9574052
>>9574691
Yep. Didn't mean to imply that it was a bad thing, if anyone took that from my post.

SDCC is definitely crowded and hot enough that I would not do anything hot or complicated. I couldn't imagine wandering the exhibit hall in an armor cosplay, honestly. I would end up indoors around the photo area at entrance D, where it's nice and air-conditioned.
>>
File: sally.png (523KB, 423x605px) Image search: [Google]
sally.png
523KB, 423x605px
>>9573182
Only Sally I saw was a mash up with the Sixth Doctor from Doctor Who.
The dude looked like he was dying in his multi-layered wool outift.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.