[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hoe do you guys build costumes that are like armor? I know there's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: DSCF4214.jpg (117KB, 955x1024px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4214.jpg
117KB, 955x1024px
Hoe do you guys build costumes that are like armor? I know there's pepakura, eva foam, and now 3d printing, but there's almost no blueprints or templates for anything other than iron man and Halo suits. I hate how many are comically oversized and just look goofy. Have any of you guys done stuff like that?
>>
Its called making the pattern yourself.

And yes, most people who have made armor have done that.
>>
With some things, you can always rip models from games. Polygons make for easy pepakura.
>>
>>9517258
Short answer: it's hard.

It's a ton of work, a ton of trial and error, spending hours trying to make patterns that work and having to trash pieces that just won't turn out right.

For most armor foam is the way to go. 3D printed stuff sounds awesome in theory because it sounds easy, but it takes tons of post work to get rid of print lines and seams to make look nice and is fairly fragile. It works best for props, helmets, and detail pieces.

YouTube is a treasure trove of tutorials and how to's on making armor.
>>
learn metalworking.
you wouldn't want armor without the authentic weight and protection, would you?
>>
File: IMG_8900.jpg (2MB, 2760x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8900.jpg
2MB, 2760x2448px
I make my own patterns. Usually sculpting the form, covering it in plastic, then either ductape or packing tape, draw on cut-lines with a sharpie.
>>
I am a 3d student, so i create my own models, and usually into pepakura (3d printing needs very detailed models + its expensive)
I plan to move into 3d printing soon though, soon to have my own printer.

You can also commission people to make your pepakura templates. There are also videos that explain how to adjust oversized and unrealistic pepakura patterns to suit you, or on how to create a suitable pattern for eva foam out of pepakura.
I believe etsy also sells patterns a lot, which would be cheaper than commissioning it.
>>
I do it through trial and error. But I'm good with eyeballing things.
It'd be far more consistent and efficient if I could 3d model.
As for things looking wrong or goofy, there will be an extent to which that is unavoidable depending on source material. For instance, I have no fucking idea why space marines are all made using that template requiring gigantic shoes leaving you with midget arms.
>>
>>9517258
I feel like the toughest part of the Protect Gear is the gas mask
>>
>>9517258
yo thats jin roh armor right? if i remember right there is a whole group of people on 405th that make that kind of armor you can try tracking one of them down they might have some files other than that i would just make pattern like i did one of the armor from SJ anime that is base on same base as the jin roh armor its not hard just alot of time
>>
>>9517258
here you go my guy good luck http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=96596
>>
File: 1325640171024.jpg (29KB, 467x507px) Image search: [Google]
1325640171024.jpg
29KB, 467x507px
What if you made some kind of bust or mold of yourself? Then you could guess the size of the armor pieces and see how it would look on yourself. Anyone know easy ways to do that or try such a thing? Might be neat to have an extra "you" hanging around to try things on. Doesn't even have to be limited to armor type pieces.
>>
File: combine.jpg (49KB, 500x361px) Image search: [Google]
combine.jpg
49KB, 500x361px
Has anyone made combine blueprints? i think they are pretty dope
>>
>>9521856
Search "duct tape dummy"
>>
>>9525756
Just the police helmet. Usually only the helmets are available.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.