[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retirement Age

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 8

File: Tomoaki-Kohguchi-Cosplay-Pic-01.jpg (122KB, 600x380px) Image search: [Google]
Tomoaki-Kohguchi-Cosplay-Pic-01.jpg
122KB, 600x380px
When do you think it is time for a cosplayer to hang up their costumes, if at all? More specifically, young cosplayers in their twenties for example, who might have a fan following on Facebook/DeviantArt etc. At what point do they just become too old for it?

Do you plan to stop cosplaying when you reach a certain age?
>>
Nah, im going to probably keep on cosplaying for the rest of my life, probably going to do it with my kids when i get kids. Ill probably stop doing stufflike cosplay raves or the like unless i get a wife to bring to that shit.

Regardless of which im going to keep on going
>>
I have no plans to stop. I'm hoping to marry another cosplayer and have a super cool workshop in my house, Punished Props style.
>>
>>9467489
>I'm hoping to marry another cosplayer and make my own cult of progenity and cosplay en masse.
We must make the next generation of fans because without them, there is no future.
>>
I'm old AF, but it's still fun and I still have friends, so I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

Sure, it gets a lot slower because time and money constraints are a lot tighter than when I was single 22 year old with no real responsibilities. (Stupid boring retirement savings and 529s and not being on my parents' cell phone plan and mortgage and car insurance and shit. And holy shit why did I spend so much money on Dollfies?) But hey, in 25 years my kids' college will be paid for and I'll be back to being able to do WTFever I want with my money, and then I will be the oldest lady in the entire world with giant, articulated dragon wings.

And yeah, sometimes it's a bit bittersweet to be on the old end of things. But oh well. Time happens to everybody. Being part of the young hotness was fun while it lasted, and in 25 years my Mallory Archer cosplay will be rad.
>>
I had thought about when I should eventually stop, and I used to worry about becoming too old, or looking too old, but it was just a phase. I have no plans of stopping. I will just always be in age appropriate costumes, I just wont cosplay teen magical girls into my 30's. NBD
>>
>>9467348
I believe in aging gracefully and I plan to stop cosplaying girls half my age. It's been a lot of fun, but I'd rather turn my focus on cosplaying more characters that match my age and sew costumes for my children as they grow up (if they want to). I'm pretty sure my age will show no matter how much makeup I cake on as the years go by.
>>
>Do you plan to stop cosplaying when you reach a certain age?

No. I don't think anyone needs to stop cosplaying when they reach a certain age. I do think we need to choose characters who suit us, which means that there's an age where most of us (with some genetically blessed exceptions) should cut down on cosplaying baby-faced teenagers -- but that's the same principle as "choose a character who suits your face/body type," not a hard ban on cosplay after a certain age.

Me personally, I have the same mindset as >>9467930 and >>9467689. I'm 27, and most of my recent/upcoming projects are 20+. I'm not drawing a hard line at never cosplaying teenagers again, but I'd have to really love the character.
>>
I'm in my 30s and I still cosplay teenagers. I give no fucks. When you hit 30 neither will you.
>>
>>9467499
> I will be the oldest lady in the entire world with giant, articulated dragon wings.

inspiring
>>
Didn't you hear, people in our generation aren't allowed to retire.
>>
>>9467348
As long as you have friends who still want to go to conventions with you. I decided awhile ago that I'll stop when my friends stop because once you lose the social aspect of it then there is no point in continuing.
>>
>>9467941
Haha, yeah. Not to mention that it can be weirdly difficult to find grown women to cosplay. "So my choices are either pink schoolgirl outfit or a leather thong and a gun holster across my nipples? Thanks, anime."
>>
I think I'll quit once the rest of my life gets too busy. It's been getting there and I'm 27 now and have a great job and am out of grad school. There's just a lot of other stuff I want to do with my time off and for once I have the means and money to do it. My friend groups have also been slowly changing and while I really enjoy the construction and making of cosplay and props especially, but I think my priorities are just changing too. Getting out of the school environment I think was the biggest push for me. My coworkers are nerdy or whatever, but aren't big cosplayers just because of how much skill and time it takes and my friends are around the same income/education level as myself so we're finding that with way more money, we can do more things besides con stuff (ie went to France last summer, planning in going to Korea this Fall, both fell around two cons-AX in particular, that I've gone to annually for so long now)

Don't worry on having an age where you have to stop or getting told to stop. I think it will just come naturally (if it does).
>>
When the patreon bux go under 100 per month its time to quit
>>
>>9467348
You should stop cold turkey at 25, no more cosplay and no more anime.
Same with guys, hit 25 and that's the end of videogames and comic-books.
>>
>>9468323
Do many people make even that much to begin with?
>>
>>9468334
What hobbies do you recommend they take up instead? Breeding? Military Training? Dad Jokes?
>>
Just like with lolita, if you cosplay with an end date in mind because you're afraid you'll be "too old", you clearly didn't care much about it to begin with and were only shallowly into it and/or looking to get attention on the internet. Also, just like with certain substyles of Lolita, there will be people thinking you're too old for it when you're in your twenties, so there's no point in giving a shit when you're past them. Honestly, I don't see a 21 year old dressing as a 14 year old Japanese cartoon character that much less odd conceptually than a 35 year old doing it. It's weird either way, so just roll with it.
>>
>>9468334
It must be miserable caring this little for your interests.
>>
>>9468334
you're correct. I'm turning 25 in August and I've been thinking about collecting coins and whittling wood.
>>
>>9467499
>in 25 years my Mallory Archer cosplay will be rad.
This is my dream old lady cosplay.
>>
>>9469809
I think a lot of people are expecting to feel a lot older in their 30s than they actually will. 30 seems like a big scary line in the sand until you're on the other side of it, and then it's just like, "Oh, this isn't really any different from 28."
>>
File: Old-_Joseph-994x469.jpg (49KB, 640x301px) Image search: [Google]
Old-_Joseph-994x469.jpg
49KB, 640x301px
uh no lmao
>>
>>9468334
>>9469753
>>9469813

I'm over 30. I have taken up a couple of new things like gardening, historical books, and a small youtube channel but I'm still a huge weeb (started in high school) and keep up with 1 or 2 new shows each season and a couple of ongoing manga. I've never cosplayed but there are a couple I would like to do now so I'm gradually learning more about it.

I haven't felt too old when everyone around me is in their 20s like I thought I would. It might change as my grey hairs increase to more than the 5-8 I already have. I would like to post in the friend finder but somehow that does end up feeling awkward.
>>
>>9467348
I'll keep cosplaying as long as I keep having fun with it. I'll probably stop cosplaying school age characters if I feel too old looking to pull them off, though.
>>
>>9469753
I feel that a lot of my time will simply be consumed by caring for my children, holding down a job, and trying to find peace and sleep with my spouse in-between. It's not that I won't have time, but that the amount that I can afford on cosplay post-childbirth is going to be sharply limited whether I like it or not.
>>
>>9471340
>I haven't felt too old when everyone around me is in their 20s like I thought

im in my 30s as well but im starting to feel this. i feel like an old man surrounded by a bunch of hyperactive kids. I just cant keep up with them.
>>
once your eggs go bad
>>
File: varg.png (97KB, 201x201px) Image search: [Google]
varg.png
97KB, 201x201px
>>9468334
stop having fun
>>
Most of my cosplays are mascot style, or otherwise fully cover my body, so it's a non-issue for me.
>>
>>9468334
> no more cosplay and no more anime.
> end of videogames and comic-books.

And do what, watch game of thrones and the latest political white house drama/crime procedural/reality talent show? I'll pass.
>>
>>9468122
I think it's starting to get a little better with things like maid dragon, monstergirls, or even Boruto. For cosplaying idols you're shit out of luck though unless you go for the 3D groups like Perfume.
>>
I am almost 25 started with cosplay around a year ago. it's still fun. met a lot of people. some cosplayers i know started in their 30's.
To be honest having a full time job and having multiple hobby's have put my cosplay in a low level. I let people make my costumes if necessary eventhough I make my own armors and props. I am thinking of buying a 3D printer for my props, shit takes to long with foam.
I am already thinking what kind of characters i can do when i get older. I'll probably switch to more classical characters like, Kenshin, Paul Pheonix, Heihachi.
>>
I'm 36. No plans on stopping. I look young. I get mistaken for early 20's and lifestyle/diet changes are only helping that. I removed starchy carbs and drop the sugar, that shit ages you quick, just as bad as sunlight and smoking. I can easily forsee myself cosplaying youngish characters into my 40's. But I might have to move on to older characters by late 40's and into my 50's. Not even worried about it now, not even on my radar.

Having money to do this shit now is amazing and I can attend cons as well as vacation while taking PTO since I have a lot of it saved up. Married, husband does cons for a living. No kids = free time. Albeit, way less. I work 50 hours a week and sometimes more.
>>
I don't think you're ever "too old for cosplay" but if you want to be any good into your older years, I think the best route is to start looking only at mom/dad, older characters, characters with masks, ect. And obviously into your elders- elder characters. I like costume making so I don't ever want to stop, but I know at some point I'm going to have to stop doing these teen/young adult characters, probably in my 30s.

It's just dumb when you're like, late 20s and trying to cosplay Kanna or something like that.
>>
>>9472991
>I am thinking of buying a 3D printer for my props, shit takes to long with foam.

just as warning. 3d printing takes a long ass time as well. i know it takes "less work" because youre practically letting the machine do all the work but ive let machines work on armor pieces for days only for it to fuck up somewhere and have to redo everything.
>>
>>9467348
ahahaha I'm in my 30s and I age myself up to be as old as this dude with makeup (who honestly is my hero for doing Pixis) so maybe I'm doing it backwards, but I'll probably swing the other direction as I start needing makeup to look younger. Since it's just for my own enjoyment, desu I don't give a fuck what people think. Not gonna stop til I've got one foot in the grave, and even then I'll probably have more on my to do list.
>>
Basically when it stops being "fun" for you. Whether that means your interest change, your social group moves on, you feel that you aren't getting enjoyment out of cosplay, etc. Basically when whatever got you into cosplay and kept you there in there first place disappears. As almost everyone else eluded to, there is no set number.

If someone is worried about looking too old or whatever, there is options for that such as cosplaying your age or wearing a cosplay with some sort of mask if you care enough.Besides, there are cosplays that look great because old people are cosplaying old characters and it suits the look, something that is hard for a 20 year old to reproduce.
>>
I wasn't allowed to go to cons or cosplay or engage with ANYTHING nerdy because my parents were wildly controlling. It took me until I was 24 and stable for me to even be able to get into this hobby. I had been wistfully staring at online for so many years and it felt good to finally hop in. I made a ton of very, very good friends and always had an amazing time.

I'm 27 now and while I am outgrowing my manic cosplay surge, I picked up working for conventions. I have a lot of passion for this hobby and I want other people to be able to be able to have fun.

I'll probably still be cosplaying into my 30s and 40s.
>>
>>9467941

Same. It's fun and nobody cares.
>>
>>9473268
Depends on how you look in your 30's. For a lot of people, they still look young at that age. Though if they tanned a lot, had kids, dealt with a lot of stress, smoke, don't get enough sleep, etc. They'll probably look a lot older.
>>
I'm 34, from my own experience, the age that it starts mostly losing interest is 27. After awhile, you start to focus more on mortgage, bills, and other things in life, but you'll still enjoy the occassional weeb stuff. Other things you will most likely piss you off, like the cliche anime, or the bath/hot springs episodes of any anime.
Over the years, you'll become less and less interested.
And those who say they'll cosplay til they die are over exaggerating the reality of it all. The peak time is 20-25.
After that, it starts going downhill.
>>
>>9474252
Nah, I haven't really lost interest in conventions.

I don't watch much anime anymore though. I don't think much about bills because I can afford them. I just make sure money is rationed out properly and I still keep money in savings despite hobbies. I just don't cosplay like how I used to in my early 20's where I made like 2 new costumes for every con and I went to about 9-10 a year. Now I make one or two a year and wear those and lolita. Most of the cons I attend I staff or do artist alley for. A few of them I go to for funsies. But it averages out to about 6 full weekend conventions and whatever nearby smaller things I can hit up when I'm able.
>>
>>9473268
>It's just dumb when you're like, late 20s and trying to cosplay Kanna or something like that.

I'm 28 and I'm actually wondering about cosplaying Kanna since I'm pretty short and have a rounded and childish face and pale skin (people usually mistake me for 18-20). I honestly think age doesn't matter as long as the character fits you nicely.

As for the retirement age, I agree with everyone elses here. Cosplay is about having fun, so the time to stop comes when the fun ends. But I believe that when you reach the line of the 30s, have a job and money and live on your own, it all makes you reconsider what really matters to you, and that reflects the way you live your hobbies.
>>
>>9474460
I think >>9473268 means that a person in their late 20s will not be able to pass themselves off as 9-10 years old convincingly (which Kanna is in human appearance). You might make a cute Kanna like a 20-year-old version of her, but not an 'accurate' 10-year-old.

I've seen 30+ ladies trying to do an accurate cosplay of <10-yo girls and their age really, really shows and breaks the image.
>>
>>9468334
100% this but nobody will agree with you since this board is full of womenchilds that refuse to move on and grow up

We're just as bad as the neckbeards over at /a/ and /v/
>>
>>9474541
No one who it 30 thinks they are convincingly cosplaying a 10 year old, but if I really love the character/costume I'm not going to let age stop me. It's not like a 20 year old is going to be convincing either.
>>
Be old
>retire from cosplay
>cosplay elderly characters

It's an easy choice.
>>
>>9469753
Got a problem with dad jokes, you tramp?
>>
You should never cosplay a character who is more than 10 years younger than you.
>>
Cosplay has been a bit weirder the older I get, but I have been trying to do older characters (without being trapped into only getting to do characters in leather bikinis or the same TIRED American superhero characters). As for Lolita, I've definitely tried to step into some more flattering styles for my age, though I do think even OTT sweet can be done in a flattering way, if done right. Just don't try to look like something you're not, bc that's when you look the worst. Don't cram on makeup to make your face look 12 years younger, when you can instead accentuate the features that do work for you now.
>>
>>9474541
That's actually something I do enjoy doing--doing aged up versions of characters (without sexualizing them, unless the original character was already of age). That way, I can match the character to the shape I have. Like, if I wanted to cosplay Usagi from Sailor Moon, I'd give her more of a grown up look, probably with slightly more mature, toned-down makeup, and a different silhouette, while still keeping elements of her original style in there.

It's great as a fashion design challenge as well--to keep the original look as close as possible, while also making it fit the ageing up.
>>
>>9474252
I'm 33 and this post is full of shit.

Protip: not everyone thinks like you and not everyone cosplays for the same reason as you. Some people will not get into cosplay until late in the game and hit their stride much later. For some people cosplay is not about how youthful your face looks but how great your craftsmanship is (which age has no bearing on). I don't watch a lot of anime but cosplay is still my main hobby because I like making things and wearing them at cons with my friends.
>>
File: jojo.gif (331KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
jojo.gif
331KB, 500x280px
>>9471340
>>9472643
I'm in my late 20s and my boyfriend is in his early 30s, we still cosplay but not as much. I don't go to many meetups at cons anymore unless I know there are other older folks there. I don't have a problem with younger people, but I do believe something happens in your mid 20s that changes you. I have a hard time conversing with younger cosplayers and I feel that everyone under the age of 24 is basically a child.

I pretty much only do couple cosplays now, and I do it as more as an activity with my boyfriend than anything, its really nice to get home from work and bond with your s/o making something than it is to just watch tv.

I do agree with >>9472415 you should not cosplay school aged characters if you look too "old" it just comes off as creepy.
>>
>>9471340
>>9472643
>>9480789
I do wish there was a more "grown up" event that was a bit more chilled out than the hyperactivity i normally experience at cons.

Heck, i'd love an anime (or nerd shit in general) club that was for 25+ where i can meet similar people and hang out with them.
>>
File: tumblr_o8mljb8ntM1ued38wo1_500.jpg (143KB, 500x625px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o8mljb8ntM1ued38wo1_500.jpg
143KB, 500x625px
>Implying you should give up cosplay just because you're an adult

If you enjoy it, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't keep cosplaying. Having fun has no age limit.

Saying that, you will have considerably less time, money and effort to spend on cosplays. I used to drop hundreds and work my ass off making a new cosplay every year, now I just tweak and rewear old ones. Given the choice of buying a sweet foam weapon or getting my car service/roof repaired/grocery shopping down, it's the boring adult responsibilities all the way.

On the plus side, at least you stop giving a shit about what the younger weeaboos think of you.
>>
>be male
>even in your 30s you can cosplay as almost any vidya character and a good deal of shonen(that isn't narutoshit) as long as you're fit and not ugly

ez.
>>
>>9469753
>breeding is a hobby, not an essential thing everybody should be doing
GET
THE
FUCK
OUT
>>
>>9480932
There was that 21+ con a few years ago. Maybe the time is ripe for it now.
>>
>>9481161
>wanting more autismo genes in the gene pool like yourself
>>
>>9481235
I think one problem with implying an age limit like that is theres going to be sex/porn everywhere, people are going to be idiots openly drinking, you know, all the stupid stuff nerds think they can do when unhinged.

Needs to be a strong emphasis on what kind of event it is, and requires staff that understand it.
>>
>>9481382
OK, no burlesque show. or blackjack. or cosplay hookers.

Then... sake tasting? Riichii mahjong tournament? The card based jankenpon from Kaiji? Nightclub style dance instead of rave/school dance style? Formal dinner and ballroom for extra fancy cosplay?
>>
Until cosfamu start getting breast reductions, which are often associated with out-aging your implants, I plan to keep cosplaying. Yaya's tits are my doomsday clock.
>>
>>9481465
Hah, i guess the burlesque and such could be fun. Just not on the open areas, keep all the debauchery in their own little areas.

Could be fun to do things like a... j-fashion show, maybe with some facility for people to do their own original j-fash inspired stuff, a game/animation jam where teams of people can make their own short animation/game with a prize, live dubbing table sessions, board games, almost every older nerd i know loves board games.

If theres an outdoor area might be cute to do a night festival thing, with stalls, lanterns, and rentable yukata.

Though, probably not the greatest areas around i admit! I guess i want to encourage people to do creative stuff.
>>
>>9467348
I see older cosplayers "retire" right into steampunk cosplaying and staying there
>>
>>9486204
Gross. But i have a semi-irrational hatred of steampunk. Doubly so for raygun steampunk.
>>
>>9472557
What about when your kids reach that age they're too cool to hang out with you? What if they decide to do their own things? You don't wipe their asses forever unless you want spoiled kids.
>>
>>9467348
i think the only thing that's changed really is my willingness to be involved in the community which is mostly just twenty somethings and like man once you hit thirty the last thing you want to be around is that
>>
>>9467348
why do you keep posting this all the time? if you're that stupid about it, then just leave
>>
>>9468334
You must be a very fun person
>>
>>9480932
>>9481382
I would like this too, but without those that still can't hold their liquor (or maybe without alcohol to begin with?). No matter the age, drunk people are still annoying.

>>9481079
This is adorable.

>>9486578
Sort of the same, but they tend to go tumblr on me and make a huge deal over sexual orientation or whatever. That's not exactly information I want to give out as an introduction. First, let's talk about some stuff we enjoy without going straight to that. Not saying all the young ones are like that (and I'm sure there are plenty of people my age that do that), but it felt that way at the last convention I went to.
>>
>>9467348
I'll be cosplaying until I'm old and wrinkled probably

Judging by this thread, I'm not alone. Feels good mates.
>>
nobody knows how old you are in a fursuit
>>
>>9467348
>When do you think it is time for a cosplayer to hang up their costumes.

Never. You will always can be someone like granny Rikku.

Next question?
>>
>>9467941
I cosplayed Shiro from No Game No Life in my 30's. The fucks I gave were none. I looked better than most young cosplayers.
>>
>>9480687
Unless you are 35 and confused by a 15 year old daily.
>>
File: P5_Goro's_Finishing_Touch.jpg (429KB, 1280x723px) Image search: [Google]
P5_Goro's_Finishing_Touch.jpg
429KB, 1280x723px
I'm doing Akechi in his Crow outfit at AX this year and I'm in my late 20s. i look quite similar to him and to my other characters anyways so the age issue has never been more than an afterthought to me
>>
>>9472963
its harder to find characters with huge breasts to cosplay. i know, "all anime girls have huge boobs", but im like hentai territory in size.

im just glad i haven't sagged hard yet, but it will happen one day
>>
>>9481138
>fit and not ugly

>describing less than 1% of all weebs that exist
>>
>>9467930
I think it's possible to cosplay (and wear j-fashion) in a non-cringe way at every age. Most people have more skill and can travel more when full adults if their hobby budget includes costuming and conventions. I don't think anyone still having fun should stop. I've been one of the oldest of my cosplay group for a while now and I enjoy helping younger people learn, some of them costume their kids now and it's really cute. We have quite a big age range in our local group and everyone is supportive and has fun.

I'm not going to play really young or provocative characters, (they never were my style anyway) but there are plenty of fairly age-less characters that aren't either kawaii-uwu or tits-out sexy time in personality. Those are the only ones I find a little cringe-worthy for older people to play.
>>
Cosplay communities are some of the most ageist and shallow groups out there.

Everybody talks about sexism, and racism and shit but nobody cares if you get hated on for not being 19.

That said, I think Cosplaying super sexy characters when you're unhealthy is ever a good idea, if you're 18 or 40.

But I know 30 year olds who have better bodies than 20 year olds for sure.

I think aging gives you a chance to cosplay older characters more accurately. Every anime has badass older Characters.
>>
I agree that the community is ageist. How many good answers does someone get if they try the question, "Quick, suggest a cool and fun character for so-and-so's middle aged mom to play, she's not fat but she's no curvy chick with boobs, ready, set, go..."

...crickets...
>>
>>9497698
The girls in dragon maid and keijo are pretty big, are you too big for that?
>>
>>9467348
I fell age 30 is the stopping point. I'm age 31 now and I stopped cosplaying last year. More bills and responsibilties especially with two aging [arents with serious health problems quickly saps all energy/money.

Also I've found cosplay seems to work best for the young kids to early adults as most anime focuses on young characters. Just my IMHO
>>
>>9480789
Your attitude about youth is wrong, As you get older everyone younger than you is a child.
Very few people become mature adults even outside of cosplay.
Very immature kids will be annoying. Many adults remain in that place too.

>>9480932
Be prepared for exactly the same autism but from 40 year olds.
>>
>>9468334
Enjoy your boring life and keep believing in myths like quarter and midlife crisis.
>>
>>9467348
20 if you are male, older than that and you became a creepy stalker

25-30 for females, depends on your looks, if you have a great body you can still get attention with some skimpy costumes
>>
File: omg!.jpg (6KB, 250x141px) Image search: [Google]
omg!.jpg
6KB, 250x141px
>>9474252
>quarterlife crisis is coming!
>>
>>9511381
Wait, what?
>>
>>9468334
>implying only women cosplay and watch anime.
>implying only men read comics and play video games

I'll take the bait. Why should they stop at 25?
>>
>>9511381

>t. fatfuck

creepy stalker male = fat and ugly.

A man in his late 20s/30s pretty much qualifies himself for the vast majority of video game protagonists/major characters that aren't plebshit high school wish fulfillment trash.

A woman in her 30s/40s even if fit and good looking will still show her age and get shit talked to by the entire female community, being the crabs in the bucket they are.

>just b urself
>>
I can't believe you're all falling for this bait. This is like bottom tier garbage. This thread would have gotten no replies and have already have 404d on /b/.

Grow some thicker skin and a bit of common sense.
>>
I am now 30 and do over 10 years cosplay and now I do only military and masked costumes. Sometimes I think cosplay was a mistake. I still love anime/manga and drawing/art stuff. I wasted all my time with cosplay... instead of drawing! Damn, I want to be a doujinshi artist... I wasted so many years with cosplay.
>>
>>9474252
I lost only interest in cosplay but I still like conventions (because the artist alley and special guests). In other words: 2D > 3D! Fuck cosplay! Respect and glory to all drawing artists!
>>
I haven't given up, but bills stack up in your 30's. I can't afford the hobby as much as I used to. Buying tools and crafting supplies in small pieces here and there helps, but it elongates the creation process by a huge amount of time. Used to be in my 20's, I could save up a bit of cash quick, and drop money on cosplay stuff like nothing a few months before a convention, and have something ready.

I'm 32 now. Very few anime are hitting the sweet spot anymore, so I cosplay from older stuff, but it hurts a bit because I loved the social aspect of cosplay. I want to cosplay "with" people, not just be a lone dude in a costume. But finding a classic series cosplay group is hard unless you already have the friends willing to do it.

I say, never stop cosplaying, but be realistic about your budget.
>>
I love oldfag threads! I am not alone (I am now 30 too).

This is really a strange feel when meet young people and they look so much older than you (someone who is just 20 but look like 30 lol). Many people say I look more like 21-24 and not older. Funny.
>>
I'm 24 now and I'm starting to feel too old for it. Maybe that's because the cons around here are smaller and filled with mostly 12-15 year olds screaming and acting like idiots because they're away from their parents for the first time. Knowing I used to be like that when I first started makes it all the worse.
>>
File: oldage.png (116KB, 561x120px) Image search: [Google]
oldage.png
116KB, 561x120px
i get to cosplay an old man every day, whether i want to or not. haw!
>>
>Be 19
>University still ahead
>No source of income, poor as fuck because I'm a kid, have to cut corners due to not being able to afford everything with my costume
>Still bratty drama with friends
>Living at my parents' place, no freedom to work on costumes

>Be 28
>Done with university, stable job
>Good salary, can afford any materials and multiple cosplays a year
>Everyone is mature now and there's no petty drama involved
>Have my own place, more freedom to work on cosplays any time I want

Why the fuck should I stop now again?
>>
>>9531896
You're in the sweet spot. Don't stop now! You're in the golden period of cosplay. The falloff is later. (Who am I kidding? The falloff is kids.) But 28? Man, I peaked at 27-29. Those years were the best cosplay years. (Imma start singing "Summer of '69," except it'll be Summer of '09 and it's about to get real nerdy real fast.)
>>
>>9474460
You have a job, money, live on your own when you're 20 or even before that if you don't go to college. Not everyone lives with their parents until they're in their thirties, in fact most people don't.

While most people do have the luxury of living at home until they finish highschool this isn't the case for everyone. I know from my experience that I've lived away from home since I was 15 and I know I'm not the only one either.

None of this nor the necessity to survive has stopped me from having hobbies. I think you're still just drawing arbitrary lines and not realizing how arbitrary they actually are.

>>9474541
>>9475750
The way that puberty works is that nobody that has gone through it is convincing as a 9 year old character. Either at 15 or 30 you're still too old, your body is already a dramatically different size and shape than a child. Which is different to cosplaying post puberty characters in their late teens.
>>
I stopped around 24. I still go to cons but I just don't have the free time like I did in college to pursue this hobby anymore, I'd rather be a spectator at conventions.
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.