[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Non-Anime Cosplays at an Anime Con?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9

File: 1489454634949.jpg (278KB, 879x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1489454634949.jpg
278KB, 879x1024px
What do you think?
>>
>>9467107

They're just as annoying as anime cosplayers so they can get fucked too. It'd be nice to be able to navigate thoroughfares without having to dodge retarded cosplayers and people taking pictures in areas where they know they shouldn't be doing so.
>>
>Undertale cosplay

>Marvel and comic cosplay

all at anime convention need to stop
>>
Anime used to be it's own niche and anime cons were smaller, so you were less likely to see non-anime cosplays. Now it's no longer a niche, more people are going to cons and more cons are starting up, and very few people exclusively like anime anymore.

There's hardly any bonafide "anime" cons anymore, they're all kinda of broad Japanese pop culture cons that still embrace western things to a smaller degree. People getting bitchy about conventions which happen to call themselves anime cons not being exclusively anime need to calm the fuck down.
>>
>>9467335
I guess. I still wouldn't mind an anime-only con, though. Anime only panels, guests, dealers, AA, etc. It'd be like the good old days.
>>
>>9467335
That being said
Ren faires are not the time for cosplay
Please let the medival larpers nerd out in peace

I feel like anime cons have evolved into nerd-culture conventions; aside from ones that specifically cater to an industry (like PAX); and even then I'm not really bootybothered if I see someone cosplaying outside of the medium.

>>9467205
>Marvel cosplay
The whole shitstorm that surrounds that cosplay community needs to fuck off imo, at least over in my corner. I'm just-
Tired of movie bandwagoners.
But even then, I know realistically that's never going to happen. And hey, sometimes a cool cosplay comes out of it.
>>
>>9467107
Fucking furries ruin everything. I'll give the little kid a pass he's probably only 10yo and him and his mom probably didn't now any better. But, that fucking furry should be creepy at their own con.
>>
>>9467119
you sound fun.
>>
How many Deadpools do you guys see at your local anime cons? Im averaging like 10 around here
>>
>>9467335
I agree. OP here. I mean, with Anime Expo, even with anime in the name. It doesn't even adhere to being only anime especially since they are able to get studios from adult swim, so really any type of animation or media in general may be fair game.
>>
This picture may be taken slightly out of context ( I think this is Bristol renaissance faire that has cosplay days) but I do feel like there's so much overlap within the fan community that it really does not matter. I love seeing the reactions of kids to Disney cosplay regardless of the con and comic conventions often have anime industry guests. The only exception is conventions catering to one and only one sub category like horror conventions. Also fuck any doctor who cosplayers at ren faires. It's crazy over done.
>>
>wear western cartoon cosplays to anime con
I wish there were conventions for JUST cartoons, but cartoon fans just kind of show up at anime and comic conventions. not to mention anime and comic conventions both get cartoon guests. I personally think we need our own conventions. it'd be small, but fun if done right.
>>
An anime con near where I live doesn't like their staff/volunteers to cosplay non-Japanese stuff while they're working, and their cosplay contest is strictly Japanese source material too. It's kinda neat but most attendees don't give a shit and still cosplay Steven Universe and shit
>>
There are no vidya conventions that close to where I live so I usually do video game cosplays at anime cons. Is that bad? At least they're usually from JRPGs, but...
>>
>>9467572
I think JRPGs and anime overlap enough for it to be alright. It's when I see more Western games like Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc., that I think I get pickier in the "do you belong here?" sense.
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 600x337px
>wear larp outfit at anime con
>wear anime cosplay at ren fair
Come at me
>>
File: 212.jpg (1MB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
212.jpg
1MB, 1280x1707px
>>9467548
I agree with this kind of idea, but I'm somewhat afraid of it becoming a comic-fan purist type of event. There's reasons why comic-cons aren't as talked about on this board. It has a overwhelming nuance of mediocre cosplay.

Anime Bostons been trying to be anime only for years and it flops every time, not only because of the infamous lines but the general public that goes is very rude and snobbish due to the anime only setting.
The way conventions have been breaking that division of anime/comics has a lot more breathing room for people to find each other of similar interests while educating each other of their series' presence. When we have Gundam cosplayers getting drinks with Voltron cosplayers, more power to em. After years of Anime Boston, I enjoy the refreshing idea that nerds can be pals and respect each others passions.
>>
I miss anime cons being mostly anime. I go to cons to make friends who also like and watch anime but 9/10 times I strike up a conversation with a stranger, they haven't watched anything that's aired in the last five years or have only seen/are interested in the big titles like SNK or YOI. I'm not asking for autistic level knowledge but I'm hoping to find at least one or two friends who like to watch a few mid-tier shows every season. I don't even bother chatting up people who are cosplaying or wearing merch from Western stuff anymore because they hardly ever watch anime.
>>
>>9467694
Agreen, honestly I felt a big factor into last year's misery was the theme. They tried so hard to stick to that Field Day theme with everything and it was just dull as could be. I like that this year and next are just generic easily connected themes.
>>
Personally feel people need to grow the fuck up and stop griping. I don't hear anyone bitching when there are anime and comic cosplays in a gaming con.

Why do anime peeps gotta be such snowflakes?
>>
>>9467694
Anime Boston has been my only convention for the last 5-or-so years. This year was the first time it was good.
>>
>>9467578
I've never once seen a single Elder Scrolls cosplay but I always see at least three Naruto cosplayers at every event, including the renfaire. Where do you live? I'm honestly jelly.
>>
I don't see the big deal one way or another. As long as they're not assholes.
>>
>>9467721
t. vidya cosplayer at the anime cons
>>
>>9467531
Too many. Deadpool cosplayers need to be gassed.
>>
>>9467724
Any reason it sucked before? Or just cause they put no effort
>>
File: ani may.jpg (77KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ani may.jpg
77KB, 1280x720px
I don't care. Wouldn't do it personally but as long as they're having fun and being respectful to others, then good for them. Anyone who vehemently speaks out against them is probably an annoying person I wouldn't want to hang out with. Don't really like being around people who just endlessly whine.
>>
>>9467428
They get too creepy and get their own cons shut down.
>>
I think it's too hard to stop non-anime cosplayers at anime cons and vice versa. Especially because anime cons are cheaper are more fandom friendly than comic cons, it just draws more of everyone. Anime cons seems be more of a catchall nowadays and I think it's impossible to stop.

Also anime con seem to draw a younger crowd than comic cons, and that's why you see Steven Universe along with YOI or whatever. Like if a 15 year old makes a crappy SU cosplay, you bet your life that they're gonna wear it to any and all cons they can mooch a ride off to.
>>
>>9467535
Not to mention before there were anime cons it was just comic books conventions which catered to non-anime cosplay (before cosplay as a word was a widespread term in the states) so if you wanted to cosplay, you'd do it there

People getting bitchy probably have no real lives outside of cons and that's kind of sad.

I agree that ren fairs shouldn't have cosplay from either western or eastern media and should focus on the theme though because that's it's own niche in itsself.

Also I see a lot of people bitching about Undertale. I enjoyed the game but i've been kind of over being a part of fandoms since Homestuck because that fandom was so toxic and full of literal retards. Is Undertale basically the "new" Homestuck in this regard?
>>
>>9467698
You should look in the dealer's room for friends. Talk to people looking at merch from series you like. Prevent your fellow fan from spending an obscene amount of money on something that's currently in the Hobby Link Japan clearance section. You should also go to industry (Funi, Crunchy, Ani, Sentai) panels. The people in those lines are actually watching anime.
>>
>>9467824
Agreed. It's dumb trying to force an unnecessary separation. Cons would get pretty boring if you could ONLY cosplay anime at anime cons or ONLY comic book characters at comic cons.
>>
>come on guys be progressive and tolerant! who cares if literally 15,000 transsexuals hold a pride parade inside every anime con that will ever be scheduled again, just have fun! if they're having fun and being respectful then who cares if the anime convention becomes nothing more than literally a place where people with nothing in common congregate
>>
>>9467828
They get too orgy as well. Every second story that gets posted about furry cons involves a hotel room full of guys in various states of fursuit fucking the nearest available hole.
>>
>>9467903
Where the fuck did you came from with that reach Anon.
Who the fuck hurt you so much?
There's you (you)
>>
>>9467903
imagine not knowing how to greentext works
>>
>>9467694
I agree with you for the most part but it sounds like you missed this year which had hardly any lines and was pretty chill
>>
>>9467392
>Ren faires are not the time for cosplay
... Anon, dressing up like you're from the renaissance is a form of cosplay, especially if you're in character.
>>
File: 1491883491057.png (638KB, 1200x1013px) Image search: [Google]
1491883491057.png
638KB, 1200x1013px
The issue isn't the fact there's non anime cosplay at anime cons but there's too much non anime cosplay at anime cons. Anime stuff should be the focus and it's gotten to the point where there's too much capeshit at anime cons and it affects the merchandise too. Last year there were a ass ton of funko pops which no body wanted.

Point being, make anime stuff the focus of anime cons and comic stuff the focus of comic cons. Simple as that. There should be little crossover.
>>
>>9468052
i think they meant comic/anime costumes, not larp gear
>>
>>9467822
Different anon, but...
>arbitrary intense security that does absolutely nothing to actually protect you from a mass attack
The Boston bombing happened just a few weeks before AB2013, so they had to institute security measures to make people feel safe. This involves waiting in line for up to an hour (sometimes more, depending on when you're trying to get in) to go through a metal detector, when before 2013 you literally just walked into the fucking convention center. This would be fine and dandy if it actually did anything to make the place safer, but it's just to provide a false sense of security and make it look like they're doing something. Yeah, no one is going to be able to bring a gun in the convention, but what about the hundreds of people lined up outside at pretty much any given time? You don't even need a ticket to be able to easily mow them down.
>cosplay is pretty awful overall
>more obnoxious underage people than the average big con (probably the reason for the bad cosplay)
>awful awful awful staff with few exceptions
Staff is so fucking inept that it actually sometimes leads to real problems. Pretty much no one I know who regularly attends AB regularly doesn't have at least a couple horrible staff stories.
>inconsistent enforcement of rules
One of the things that makes the staff so wonderful is their completely inconsistent rule enforcement. Sometimes, they will make up rules that don't exist, sometimes they will ignore blatant ones.
>despite their no knock off rule for the DR, there's still some knock offs. Hell, there's one booth that's been there for at least 10 years that's dedicated to knock off lolita items.
>weak DR
When you first walk in, it seems so huge, but you'll quickly notice that about 1/3 of the booths are the exact same fucking things, just a different vendor.
>weak panels
>first come first serve AA and it shows
The Artist Alley is not based by artistic merit, but who signs up first and as a result. Its like a 13yo's DA.
>>
>>9468052

Two of my local Ren Faires have legit cosplay weekends... and another with a Time Traveler weekend which is basically an invitation too.
>>
>>9467903
>literally 15,000 transsexuals hold a pride parade inside every anime con
To be fair with the massive amounts of Homestucks, Hetalia, Yuri on Ice, Durarara and Steven Universe cosplayers at every con this isn't inaccurate.
>>
>>9467107
aaahh fuckin arizona
>>
>>9468068
For sure I feel you, we had two dipshits in our room in '13 spooked the room holder so bad they canceled the suite we had. And why? Because they were convinced the hotel staff were gonna come in and check luggage and according to them know we had over amount in the room. Me and another friend just knew dipshit 1 and 2 were bringing in something they didn't wanna get caught with. To us it was completely obvious they were paranoid because they wanted to get fucked up and what happened spooked them.'13 was not a fun year.
>>
>>9467903
This is very true considering how many goddamn fags touch each other and makeout during cons

but

>c'mon be progressive and tolerant x((
>can't even greentext teehee

shut the fuck up you landwhale I hope you get raped
>>
I think the majority of people who get their jimmies rustled over costumes don't cosplay. When people spend as much time and money as they do making impressive costumes, they're gonna wear it every chance they get. But then there is the strange phenomenon of people who go to anime cons just so they can wear their western superhero/sci-fi cosplay when they don't watch anime. That's strange to me, but as long as they aren't being disruptive like every retard in a Deadpool or Spider-Man costume, I can just ignore them.

I still stand by my stance that if there is a costume contest, only people who fit the theme of the convention should be entering. Anime characters at anime conventions, superheroes at comic cons. Then things get a bit fuzzy when you start talking about cartoons and video games. Consider cartoons like Avatar, Korra, Miraculous, Wakfu and RWBY. None of those are anime or are produced in Japan. Does that mean they belong at comic cons? It would be easy if you could just separate Western Video games and Japanese video games, but you have certain iconic characters like every famous Nintendo character that aren't viewed as being Japanese despite the games being produced in Japan.

Long story short, it's impossible to fit every single cosplay into a bin and say only X is allowed at Y type of con.
>>
You kids do realize that as a hobby becomes more and more popular, it begins to become more mainstream right?

It's going to attract normies who like shit other than Chinese cartoons, creepers who are after under age con pussy, and special snowflakes who think their OC's or shitty modified version of characters are better than doing the original.

That's just the way cons go dude.
>>
>>9468351
it's sarcasm you fucking autist
i'm pointing out that the dilution of anime cons with non-anime goers is a direct contradiction to the point of a con, which is a gathering of individuals who share an interest in an activity. to dilute this by widening the scope of the activity in question so that many individuals have nothing in common with many of the other individuals is an absolutely ridiculous proposition. in fact, it may even be a contradiction of terms to ask for a convention open to "respectful people" regardless of their interests.
>>
>>9468068
>The Artist Alley is not based by artistic merit, but who signs up first and as a result. Its like a 13yo's DA.

God this is one of the things that frustrates me the most. There were quite a number times I've signed up for AA but didn't get in, but when I go to the con itself I see heaps of underage babbys and children trying to sell their art and get zero profit on all three days and you find them crying all the time. I just wish they put in SOME goddamn effort into filtering the signups instead of wasting people's time and convention space
>>
>>9468376
>creepers who are after under age con pussy,

This is 100% natural normal male behavior, it is entirely a feminist/societal construct that makes these men "creepers".
>>
File: you cant be this retarded.png (20KB, 900x610px) Image search: [Google]
you cant be this retarded.png
20KB, 900x610px
>>9468401
>>
>>9467542
I love Bristol! I go there at least once a year!
>>
>>9467205
There are Marvel anime tho.
>>
It's not like people cosplaying from non anime stuff get in my way at anime cons, but I do sometimes do a double take. Like western cartoons are debatable, but at an anime con about a month ago I saw a group cosplaying from Game of Thrones and I was very confused. Kinda wanted to ask them if they were lost.
>>
If you really want to get into a circle argument...

>Almost all anime starts as manga
>Manga are comics
>Anime characters are comic characters
>Anime characters at comic cons are not out of place
>>
>>9468068
Anime Boston had gigantic lines before the bombing, too.
>>
>>9468401
>pedo is normal male behavior
No... age of consent is there for a reason and anyone preying on underage persons deserves a genital flaying.
>>
>>9468687
They're most likely from some third world shithole where it's considered normal
>>
>>9468687
Pedophilia is when you like prepubescent girls/boys.

Teenage girls at conventions isn't pedo.
>>
>>9467784
Actually no, I cosplay mostly from anime - I'm that anon that wears anime cosplays to gaming cons.

It just seems pointless. Noone bitches at Lolita at anime cons; surely comes under the same thing (not talking about lifestyle Lolitas, just con Lolitas).
>>
>>9468728
>Noone bitches at Lolita at anime cons; surely comes under the same thing (not talking about lifestyle Lolitas, just con Lolitas).

That's still Japanese, though. I think the main issue is that cons are becoming very Western, despite comic cons/Western pop culture cons being a thing already.

Personally, I don't care about what you cosplay as a con. Cosplay your fucking OC for all I care. It's things like dealers, panelists, and artists in the AA that should be monitored. Make sure your panels are 60-40 anime to non anime. Make sure the dealers are primarily focused on anime merchandise. I don't know where I was going with the artist alley thing. Probably something like make sure the number of artists focused on Western art styles/franchises isn't overpowering the number of anime artists.
>>
>>9468087
Time travel weekend at the last ren faire I went to me and my friends at least invented a semi-legit OC and backstory to explain why we where at the ren faire dressed as we were. It was fun as fuck too, and far better than showing up in my Homura cosplay, which would have been my second choice.
>>
>>9468714
an ephibophile is just a pedophile with a dictionary
>>
I think it's fine as long as they don't expect the con to cater specifically to their off-genre interests or expect a lot of attention from attendees
it's possible to be a fan of anime while cosplaying non anime characters
>>
who has the energy to give a fuck about shit like this, honestly.
>>
>>9468866
I agree with this notion. I welcome a variety of costume and cosplay at anime cons. Nobody is going to blast someone for wearing Harley Quinn at an anime con, but the focus is still Japanese culture (maybe a lil k pop and westernized anime/manga but you get the idea). The AA should be mostly anime/manga, not all Steven Universe and My Little Pony or whatever (not that you see much pony at half decent cons). The films had better be anime or non western, and the panels should relate too. I think its fair to include a few non anime as well.

At the same time nerd con and anime con are synonymous. There might be 10 anime cons in a typical state and 20 other cons but usually most of the other ones are very small one day affairs, and big Comic Cons are the exception. So of course there will be video game cosplay, Western merchandise, etc.
It just shouldn't blur too much.
>>
>>9468280
That's not Arizona. Here isn't bathrooms by the bridge and there isn't that many trees any where at the faire grounds.
>>
>giving a fuck
Honestly just let ppl enjoy things and stay home if you're so bitter that the sight of a Batman at Anime Expo triggers you
>>
>>9467119
Maybe you shouldn't go to cons if you get triggered that easily anon.
>>
They should be killed. They destroyed cosplay at ACen. Death to all Deadpools.
>>
Imagine living such an empty and easy life, stuff like this legitmately upsets you.
>>
>>9475082
>>9476668
>>9475736
t. non anime cosplayers
>>
>>9468068
fuck i fucking hate security theater
you can often socially engineer them to the point where they're useless

one of the places with it also has a ton of obvious holes. it's like, what's the fucking point if you're going to have holes you can literally drive a truck through?
>>
File: IMG_1192.jpg (35KB, 600x210px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1192.jpg
35KB, 600x210px
>>9467844
Yes. Even the creator of the game expresses dismay of what Undertale has become.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.