[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cultural Differences in Cosplay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: in america.jpg (60KB, 450x639px) Image search: [Google]
in america.jpg
60KB, 450x639px
In the US it's pretty common for cosplayers to walk around and go out to eat in costume when they're near a con. But meanwhile in Japan it's expected that if you're going to an event that you will change at the venue, stay in a designated area for pics, then change before you leave. Even Halloween street events have changing areas.

Are there other examples of how cosplay culture and etiquette is different in other countries?
>>
Based on my own view: In Europe the feeling in the cosplay scene is overall more communal, the American scene seems to revolve around cosfame and making money. European cosplayers like to think more about the source material and having fun with other fans than milking a quick buck. In southern Europe cosplay is more relaxed and a lot weebish than elsewhere, meanwhile the western part focuses to be more professional. In Russia it's all about doing a perfect job.
>>
>>9452388
I feel like there's a higher sense of competition with European cosplayers especially on IG. While cosfame is definitely a bigger thing in America, Euro-cosplayers get really competitive and overprotective of characters their cosplay (maybe because of the work or amount of perfection?) to the point I've seen a lot of bullying and cyberharassing between cossers (especially internationally-like European cossers to other english speaking cossers on IG).
>>
>>9452400
I can confirm that here in France, people can be veeery competitive. The ECG preselections can be a sight to behold, you have people with costumes of a level near or equal to what you'd find at the finals.
However, most "big" cosplayers are also very approachable and friendly, some people say that they all stay within their own clique but I know from firsthand experience that this isn't true, even when I was still a newbie I felt welcomed in the comm.

Another difference I've noticed with the American scene : apparently it's normal in the US for photographers to ask for monetary compensation ? Here the majority of them shoot for free (bribery through food and candy is always a good idea though), be it at cons or for private shoots.
>>
>>9452304
I think in the US it's more popular.. I see people complaining that geeky stuff has gone mainstream and and about fake geek girls and stuf.. that doesn't exist in my country. pretending to like geeky stuff sounds absolutely ridiculous to me and only people who love anime go to cons.
>>
>>9452388
Don't confuse what people complain about on troll boards as being representative of a whole country.

There is a lot of communal feeling in US cons. The difference is the people who are shy or feel left out then go online to complain about how the only reason nobody wanted to hang out with them was because of "coswhores" hogging all the attention, not because they were creepers nobody wanted around.

As for cosplayers doing it for money, in the West it was an Italian cosplayer who had a pay-to-see cosplay site fifteen years before things like patron caught on.

And no, not an American, but this "Europe is a magical wonderland of true anime fans only the US has such terrible people" is getting old.
>>
>>9452886
This. I feel like anyone complaining that all cosplay is just camwhores now don't actually go to cons. I feel a little disconnected from con cosplayers these days since I'm older but hte community is still there and even bigger than it used to be in some ways.

But to be fair I am jelly that Europe has better international cosplay competitions. All the US really has is WCS and that's a shit show. It would be cool if we could manage some kind of North American or North and South American competitions.
>>
>>9452304
In Belgium and Holland it really depends on the person, I've seen people change into their outfit at the con but I've seen a lot of people who're not too shy to walk around in cosplay, especially when in a group. (Personally I only walk around in cosplay outside the con in group because I'm shy)

>>9452886
>it was an Italian cosplayer who had a pay-to-see cosplay site fifteen years before things like patron caught on.
Francesca Dani?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.