[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Convention Etiquette

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3107.jpg (38KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3107.jpg
38KB, 300x300px
My friend and I are running a panel about convention etiquette, expected behaviors, and tips for new congoers.

>What are important things to pack?
>What advice do you have for newcomers?
>How should you deal with uncomfortable situations?
>What behaviors are expected in the venue, dealer's room, AA, masquerade, panels, etc...
>Do you have any horror stories?
>>
>>9422283
>important things to pack
Sanitary products such as deodorant, toothpaste, and soap. Trash bags. Safety pins. Tape. Small sewing repair kit.

>advice for newcomers
Don't act like a snotty little butch, be chill. Don't screech like a banshee every time you see a cool cosplay. Don't glomp.

>how to deal with uncomfortable situations
Honestly that depends on what kind of situation and what the context is.

>what behaviors are expected in the venue
Just respect personal space is a generally good rule. Don't touch anyone or props without asking. Don't bug a cosplay who is clearly taking a break and sitting down or eating. Sadly, the people who need to know this the most are the ones with no social awareness whatsoever so it's almost a moot point.

>horror stories
Don't have any that are really bad but have a had a few close calls. Watch out for dudebros. They show up looking to get laid and while most are generally harmless, some are very predatory and if you aren't in a group it can get sketchy
>>
>>9422307
>Dudebros

Actually could you explain more on this?
I'll be attending my local con alone at least one day, although know about what types to avoid I seem to attract them without expressing the want. I'm not very good at escaping.
>>
>>9422307
>Don't glomp.
Slightly related: If you ask a cosplayer for a hug (which is pretty acceptable if the cosplayer is in a mascot-style suit or something of the sort), hug him/her/xe gently. I've had some people squeeze the life out of me and it can easily damage the costume.
>>
in the artist alley: never talk to an artist for more than 30 minutes if you don't plan on buying anything. they came here to sell art not make awkward conversation all day
>>
It feels insane to say this, but this has happened twice to me with my own friends: do not touch cosplayers without their permission, even if you think you are being helpful. Fixing something on their costume may actually cause more damage. Hugging someone could mess up costume placement or body paint. Ask before you touch people.
>>
>>9422312
what are u cosplaying?

i go to cons alone alot, I wear cosplays like Katarina from league of legends. most of the time the ppl who want a pic with me are: its teenage boys who just want a pic with a hot girl and want to put their arm behind your back, or its gross middle aged men who hoverhand and make their children take the picture.

idk Ive nevrr been assaulted etc at a con, I know people who have, but just be wary of personal space and LISTEN TO YOUR GUT! I made the mistake of meeting up with someone alone for photos and we met in the woods like fuck he could have killed me????
>>
>>9422332
I'll be cosplaying from Re:Zero that day(Emilia to be exact).

Have you ever had anyone drone on into a conversation with you while you half heartily listening? I'm not expecting the WORST, I have common sense to ignore offers of "partying back at my hotel room heuhuehue". I'm just bad at conversating when I don't want to talk to said person.

I've had someone try and take creep shots of me, but a bunch of people bolted after the guy. I was unaware of this happening. Well thankfully nothing bad happened to you going solo for the photoshoot.
>>
>>9422343
yeah that happens alot where you'll have someone go on and on because they just want to keep the convo going if youre either attractive or your cosplay is good.

depending on the type of con, you'll have tons of younger kids so I wouldnt stress about the "come back to my room" type guys. are you going to a con rave/dance alone? then Id worry a bit, but I dance like a slut at raves and have NEVER been touched inapprorpiately. Compared to notmal raves/clubs where you are literally pushing guys off.

my #1 tip for going alone is to go to the themed photoshoots, you'll make great friends and they'll look out for you.
>>
>>9422312
Watch out for guys who are alone and try to glom onto you or your group immediately after meeting you. Usually they start off by asking if you have drugs or alcohol. This has happened to me on many occasions and it has always ended up being some mega creepy asshat.
>>
>>9422355
yeah when they start asking constantly where to find alcohol or weed you know they are a loser... either young and creepy or old and broke and creepy. dont need people latching to ur group like parasites.
>>
>>9422353
No, thankfully the rave is on a different day when I'll have my group with me. Ah really? I had one situation of someone trying to grind on me but my partner stepped in.
I'll have to look at the photoshoot guide to see about stopping by, thank you for the info!
>>9422355
What sort of tips for excuses do you have to get away from people or to escape a situation?
>>
>>9422360
My personal fave is when the claim to have been "ditched" by their other "friends"...AKA they never had any to begin with or are so creepy that even ppl who know them don't want to hang out

>>9422364
Well in recent years I've gotten a lot more bold about telling weirdos to fuck off point blank, but back before I was comfy doing that, some good go to excuses were
>I have to go change cosplays
>kinda tired/not feeling well and need to go lay down
>family emergency I need to take care of
Basically just make sure whatever excuse you give isn't anything social, like needing to meet up with a friend or get food or go to a gathering, bc most likely the weirdo will just invite themselves.
>>
>>9422364
>What sort of tips for excuses do you have to get away from people or to escape a situation?
My number one tip is to not give excuses. Tell them you're not interested. If they continue to bug you at this point, it's harassment. They can't pretend like they didn't realize you weren't interested when you told them straight up.

>>9422283
Some of the less obvious stuff: Travel size deodorant (so you can freshen up in the bathrooms throughout the day), gum, clear files and a binder to store any prints you buy throughout the day, expandable poster tubes if you're a poster person. This is all stuff that fits in a backpack. I personally like to bring a small crossbody purse to store my cellphone and wallet in so I'm not constantly paranoid about that stuff being taken out of my backpack. Zipper locks might also be useful for the extra paranoid.

Trust no bitch. No but really, it's fun to make friends at conventions, but don't be stupid. Don't go to a room party where you don't know anyone. Don't take a drink you didn't make/watch being made.

For buying, make a list of stuff you'd like to buy before going in the convention. Dealers rooms are overpriced for the most part BUT if the sticker price is less than item price + shipping + up to a $10-$20 convenience fee (aka the not having to wait a month fee), I'd say it's worth it.

>What behaviors are expected in the venue, dealer's room, AA, masquerade, panels, etc...
Don't take photos of cosplayers in the dealer's room/AA you stupid fucks. They're trying to shop. I'M trying to shop. It takes up too much space and your shitty iPhone photo isn't worth the inconvenience.
>>
Don't take pictures of a seller's products unless you get permission to, which they might not give. Don't touch the products without permission. Don't set your stuff on their table.
>>
>>9422283
Always ask before taking a photograph of a cosplayer (or anyone really), and if they do say no, don't act like a bitch about it, just say okay thanks anyway and move on. You might think they are being rude, but in reality they are probably just tired or hungry or having personal issues and they don't owe you a picture at any given moment.
>>
>>9422374
LOL right I had a guy who I had met once prior try to stick with my group and wouldnt leave claiming his friend called in sick. his friend, who was there fine yesterday, suddenly drove hours home today when he was sick? ya ok.

I eventually dipped my group and when he came to find me I went back to them lol
>>
>>9422283
Please tell them it's not okay to sexually touch other people because "lol we're both girls" or something like that. I am a woman and straight women have dry humped me without asking because they literally say; "If we're not attracted to each other then it's funny!"
>>
>>9422283

Shower. Wipe your ass thoroughly after taking a shit. Shower again. Shower.

Newcomers are sanitary most of the time, and unfortunately the basement dwellers that go to cons decade after decade will probably miss this and other important tips that have already gone past their heads to another dimension
>>
If a dudebro is harassing you and won't leave you alone after you've vocalized you don't want him around, literally pull your phone out and start recording him. Tell him on camera that you're not interested and tell him if he doesn't leave you will post it online for everyone to see. Dudebros are a lot of things but brave in the public eye is not one of them.
>>
Five minute rule - if it can't be fixed within five minutes from you pointing it out, don't comment on it.

OK:
>Your wig is slipping
>You've a loose eyelash
>There's a stray thread on your collar
>This piece is put on upside down

Not OK:
>Your cape is the wrong colour
>You didn't hem that piece
>Your wig is too long
>Your make up isn't accurate to the character
>>
I think my biggest issue with behaviors is if you see a cosplayer is not engaging in conversation, chances are they are not interested in talking with you and are tired. They more often then not are too nice to say they are but just get the hint and move on. Wave at them in passing while at the con but don't linger around them. And always say thank you when they stop to take a picture for you.

Don't force your photography on them and don't treat them like celebrities. Chances are they have been stopped a lot all day and they already know they are pretty noticeable. A lot of times it more of a nucance to other con goers when someone's making a big deal loudly about a cosplay.

When you ask for a photo, try your best to go out of the traffic areas. If they came down the stairs try to move off to the side that people are not walking to get into the stairs to get their pictures. Same goes for halls and walk paths. Go off to the side out of the flow of traffic.

Horror story for me would be when I was dressed up as Katerina from league of legends and some guy came up and smacked then grabbed my ass while I was posing for a photo with a child Annie and amumu. Thankfully security was right there and walked the guy out.
>>
>>9422317
Kinda depends on the situation, as an artist myself. If you think the artist is genuinely interested and not in the middle of work or dealing with other customers it's fine.
>>
>>9422283

Maybe it's just me but I wish people would take breath mints. Eating shitty con food gives people stinky breath and it sucks having to talk to someone if they're breathing fecal vapors your way.

True story; met a facepainter who had shit breath. I'd hate to be a kid with them stuck in my face :(
>>
One simple tip for newcomers: bring a decently sized backback (or any bag that is comfortable to carry with you all day). One where you can fit some sanitary supplies, water bottle, change t-shirt, whatever you might need during the day.

Friend of mine consistently brings just a small handbag to cons and everyone else has to carry their shit. Don't be that person.
>>
>>9425588
Anon I think you left your white hood on.
>>
>>9425588
Tbh, if there's a big convention on then there's probably others in cosplay heading through. You could always just wear parts and keep the more delicate or unusual stuff in a bag.
>>
>>9425588
>since I look like I'm looking for trouble.

And totally not because you refer to them as chavs and niggers.
>>
>>9425544
This is a good idea, but watch out for them swatting at your phone. Another good way to get creeps away from you is to start getting loud, make a scene, attract other people's attention to you.
>>
>>9425544
Might wanna leave out the "post it online" part and threaten to call authorities instead. Otherwise you're extorting, and could get in trouble as well (especially if the con tends to have policies about asking permission for pics/filming). Remember that 2 wrongs don't make a right.
>>
H-how do I make friends at these things
>>
>>9426080
I hate this question and I hate autists like you, but I'm in a good mood today.

You guys are at a convention, so you already have a love for nerdy things in common. There's an ice breaker right there. I find that the best way to make friends at conventions is in lines. Panel lines are the best since you're both interested enough in whatever the panel is about to attend it. Spark up a conversation about that. When you're just idly standing next to someone and you notice they have a cool bag from a series you like, tell them. When you and the person in line for the cosplay show both have the exact same print, say something like, "You like [artist and/or series] too?" It's not that hard.
>>
>>9426080
Basically this >>9426087
But also, my favorite ice breaker in almost any situation is "so how is your con going so far?"
As long as the person you are talking to isn't a total autist, the conversation will flow from there. If they are an autist, just move on
>>
Deoderent. No one needs to be subjected to your con funk. Wash and reapply through out the day as needed
Also, shower at the end of each day or the start of each morning.
It sounds like common sense but the sad part is people need to be reminded
>>
If you're driving people to the con, try not to demonstrate how awesomely fast your cars is by hitting 250 on a public road.

You might be awaited in Valhalla, but we're not
>>
>When asking a cosplayer for photos:

Do not interrupt if the cosplayer is talking to someone else. Catch their eye or wave, but don't talk over them. I cannot tell you how often this happens when I am having a conversation with friends, and it's extremely annoying to be constantly interrupted with a loud "Excuse me, can I get a photo"

Do not tap the cosplayer on the shoulder, grab their arm, or otherwise touch them without permission. This also includes hugging or grabbing even after they agreed to a picture.

If the cosplayer is eating, resting, or very obviously taking a break, do not try to take a photo anyway.
>>
Are we talking about tips for normies or for cosplayers? And are we talking people who are booking a hotel for a convention or people who are driving local for the day?

Tips for first time con goers:
>Don't go if you can't afford it.
>You're probably going to pay for parking
>Have a meal plan
>Set aside a food budget that is specifically for food
>If you plan on participating in any tournaments make sure you look up all the details/rules about sign up before going, or ask in the gaming room early. Don't show up 5 minutes after the tournament was supposed to start and expect to get a slot.
>There's going to be a line for nearly everything. The more popular the event, the longer the line. Standing in line for 2 hours does not guarantee entry.

Cosplayers have basically the same rules as people in normal clothing.
>Don't touch me or my stuff without asking
>Don't take pictures without permission
>I am not required to have a conversation with you
>Don't interrupt me while I am eating or talking to someone else

And just general stuff
>Practice proper hygiene
>Don't be a dick
>Don't be a creep
>Don't act like a retard
>Make sure you can afford the things you are spending money on (this one is really important)

Also, if you are running a panel on convention etiquette at the convention you need to realize that this is a panel that the people who really need to attend these things don't. So mostly focus on the social aspects of dealing with other con-goers for people new to the convention scene.
>>
>>9423987
Goes for women interacting with men too.

> "I love your shirt!" *feels up chest*
> "Surprise!" *grabs ass*
> "Are you gay? Can you kiss my boyfriend?"
> "you look so good in that! if I was a guy I'd rape you"

Sexual harassment is not kawaii
>>
DONT VANDALIZE THE VENUE
>>
File: 661.png (213KB, 600x496px) Image search: [Google]
661.png
213KB, 600x496px
Don't shit on the bathroom floors, thats what the toilet right next to you is for
>>
>>9430603
Please say this is a joke or there's a funny story to this.

Like wtf people, I've seen throw wet tissue on the ceiling a few cons ago but this is just wrong.

Please say it is.
>>
>>9423119
>Don't set your stuff on their table.

1000x this. Unless you've just bought something from me don't you fucking dare put your shit on my table unless you are keeling over from an active heart attack or some shit.
>>
>>9430628
Sorry anon it's no joke
It happened at ALA
>>
Leave your kids at home. You will get dirty looks if you bring small children and ESPECIALLY strollers because both are a fucking nuisance. Don't stop in the middle of a a walkway, if you need to stop move to the side. It amazes me how retarded some people still are at navigating cons.
>>
>>9430636
Yup. If you really need to put something down while you're looking, ask. And remember to take your coffee cup/water bottle, every con I always find stray containers at the end of the day.

If there are other people trying to get close to the artist's table, don't stand in the middle and start a long conversation, wait until the wave of customers passes. It's okay to look and everyone should get a chance, just be aware if there are other people trying to get in too.

If taking public transit, remember to save enough money to get home. If driving, be prepared to pay for parking and possibly walk to the venue.

If you're going to eat during the event either bring food that is easy to carry and eat (energy bars, crackers, dried fruit, sandwiches, etc) or be ready to spend a lot on con food. Nearby restaurants, especially any fast food will be packed. Drink lots of water, it gets hot.
>>
Take a good look at the schedule ahead of time and plan your weekend. Bring money. Plan to eat real food.

Don't get into them be smart. For situations you can avoid. For things you can't avoid, like creeps (and drunk creeps) travel in groups. Don't ever go around alone, especially at night. Even if it's back to your hotel room in the same hotel as the con. Don't except drinks and snacks from strangers you just don't know. Maybe in 2002 it was safe to take a cupcake from a fellow weeb. Now it might be laced with who the fuck knows.

Step to the side if you're taking pictures. Watch your bags and belongings/props. Don't stop in the middle of the hallway to chit chat or whatever. Move to the side. Don't leave your shit sitting on people's AA or Dealer tables. Keep your badge on you in such a way that you won't lose it (I attach it to my bags so it's off for pictures but accessible)

Had a drunk dude at 3am insist that I come to his room because my friends in the room hooked the extra lock on the door so I couldn't get in. Trying to get away from this creep and eventually one of them came and let me in. I was just up late with some friends sitting around innocently laughing at stupid shit lol no time for this. I probably have other stories but I can't think of them.
>>
>>9430655
Some of my favorite experiences at cons have been seeing kids react to my costumes. As long as they're well-behaved, there's absolutely nothing wrong with bringing a small child to a con. Cons aren't some VIP organization that only the "best humans" can attend.
>>
>>9430655
Stay at home if you're more than 50 pounds overweight. You will get dirty looks if you go and ESPECIALLY if you go in cosplay because you look fucking horrible. Don't stop in the middle of a a walkway, if you need to stop move to the side. You take up more room than everyone else as is. It amazes me how retarded some people still are at navigating cons.
>>
>>9430655

honestly i agree. this normie looking couple brought their 1 year old child and literal baby in a stroller to a convention. was attending an informative panel and the host had to stop a few times because the baby was literallyyelling and crying (you know the loud shit they do on airplanes? yeah it was ear screeching).

i don't see why you can't give the baby to mommy for a day. both of the children are too young to be even sentient and the parents looked like the type of people who bought a day pass to check out the ~wacky festival/convention~
>>
>>9422283
shampoo, soap, toothpaste, brush, comb, granola bars/stomach meds (you will get an upset stomach eventually), sleeping mat if you're crowding a room
don't touch strangers, don't screech SUGOI or KAWAII, use fucking deoderant/showers
also don't clog up the shit buying areas by standing around or stopping people for pictures
arguably most importantly, plan your expenditures and pay for your part of the room & gas at the START of the con. Had a friend just say "lolmybad" at the end of a con and not pay $20 for gas, and this was after I told him that might happen and to pay at the start. Boy was I upset.
leave/ "go to the bathroom"/"meet up with friends" (or don't be a pussy that's afraid to say "no, you can't come with me")
don't be an autistic retard
almost got eaten by a rather adipose planet at one of the first raves I went to. The combination of lust/ food-type hunger in her eyes was incredibly unpleasant.
Otherwise no

>>9430865
they're OK, but people that just drop their 12 year olds off at cons for the day make me think there should be a lower limit that requires a parent.
>tfw my group ended up dancing with a 12 year old at a rave
nothing lewd, but none of us thought she was anywhere near that young

>alternative solution is passes color-coded by age bracket
>>
How easy is it to crush pussy at conventions? I never been on one, i dont even post here i normally post on /v/
>>
>>9430916
does your massive stomach lump make noise and create hazard in packed spaces?
no?
>>
>>9431044
if you're from /v/ its very hard
also a constantly rising quotient of unannounced underageb&s that can be difficult to differentiate
>>
>>9422283
>important things to pack
If you're not cosplaying: deodourant, shampoo, body wash, cash, ID, other basic toiletries like others mentionned. BRING A WATER BOTTLE UNLESS YOU PLAN TO BUY DRINKS THE WHOLE WEEKEND- snacks, a comb/ brush. Hand sanitizer is great too.
If you are cosplaying (or if you have friends with you who are and wish to help em out): Hot glue or super glue, duct tape, small sewing kit, maybe slight first aid like band-aids?
>Advice for newcomers
Don't act obnoxious, do some research on the general rules of the convention center, etc. Most people covered this pretty well already. Travel with people who aren't often dramatic in your past, it NEVER ends up well.
Honestly this question is pretty vague, it comes down to the situation in that particular case. If you can avoid uncomfortable situations avoid them, if it gets too bad first thing you should do is contact convention security.
>Expected behaviours
Be quiet in the viewing rooms (if your con has them its pretty common where I live)- for the venue just don't take up huge amounts of space, be respectful of the property, dont heckle artists in the AA or try to bargain with them (it's pretty degrading, if you don't wanna pay the price just DON'T buy their work and move on and don't say anything), if you're in a panel try not to interrupt the panelists, raise your hands unless the panel calls for otherwise- don't make a scene if you're late for a panel, come in quietly and take a seat.
>horror stories
Less about a con itself and more of the person I was rooming with being an asshole.
I woke up on the saturday of the con feeling pretty sick, I knew if i just vomitted I'd be fine but kind of wanted to be alone in the room for an hour to get it out of my system- tell said person to come back and get me in an hour (they WERE my SO at the time). I texted this person yet they didn't come back til 3pm and basically had spent the (1/2)
>>
>>9431088
(2/2)
day fucking off and I missed a ton of that con day because of this. Later this same night he proceeds to get very drunk, and fuck off and go to the rave for 2 hours (after saying he was only going to be gone for maybe 30 minutes as he had to drop a couple friends off at the con as they came back to our room to play some CAH)
Note: the time he came back was probably like 2 or 3am by this point and I was up waiting for him bummed out and tired cause I couldn't sleep as he told me he was going to be back MUCH sooner.
Cherry on top: the people he dropped back off at the con he told me he offered some room space to because they had lost their room that night for whatever reason- this was a lie and he never offered it to them, they ended up crashing on the con floor as they basically had nowhere else to go.
>>
>>9430934
My general rule of thumb is only bring children that are old enough to actually realize what is going on, and then whether the con is something that they would like or not. Parents should be honest with themselves, is their kid going to be like the kids in>>9430865 or are they going to hate the experience? If your kid is going to be the type that gets all huffy walking around for longer than half an hour, maybe you shouldn't take them. I know kids will be kids and there is no formula on how they are going to react at x at y day for z amount of time, but as a parent, you should have a better idea than everyone else. If you have a kid, it is your responsibility to have an idea whether your kid is going to be a disaster zone or not, and a general annoyance to everyone around you. It's no longer just about what you want to do, and if so, get a babysitter then.

On topic, for the love of whatever you find holy DO NOT leaves drinks on tables. Artist alley, dealers room, those advertising booths, etc., keep track of your shit. Please do whatever it takes to etch it into newbies minds. At least twice I've had people's drinks spill on my table because they put it down while not paying attention and it spills over. At least one of these times the girl wasn't even all that concerned until I bitched her out a little. No person should have their stock ruined because your blatant clumsiness and/or disregard for other people's property. Accident be damned. If you are going to be like that person, carry extra money for your stupid mistake.
>>
>>9426080
It's pretty easy to strike up conversations at cons from my experience, especially in lines. If you go to smaller cons you'll probably run into the same people over and over again. Also, go to cosplay meetups!
>>
>>9422283
What stupid ass con actually gave you a badge and space for this waste of time?
>>
>>9433711
This and better yet, why are you hosting this panel if you have to ask /cgl/ for what to include?
>>
>>9431044
hahahaha no one gets laid at cons you silly newfag
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.