[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Larp thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 309
Thread images: 92

File: Sickasskit.jpg (37KB, 236x606px) Image search: [Google]
Sickasskit.jpg
37KB, 236x606px
Pre-emptive strike edition.

Post a picture of your Kit so we can give you an honest rate!

Previous thread;
>>9413193
>>
File: Wonderfultrim.jpg (150KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Wonderfultrim.jpg
150KB, 1024x768px
Check out this new trim I just got!
>>
File: George_Silver.png (119KB, 250x209px) Image search: [Google]
George_Silver.png
119KB, 250x209px
>>9422071
>be a 16th century fencing master
>patrician backsword taste
>Eurofag fencers with their rapiers BTFO
>challenge Italian rapierfag to a duel
>make it thematic as shit, name a time and place
>even set the fight to be in public, atop a construction scaffold
>tight as shit
>day comes, climb the scaffold in my most billowy bloomers
>wait around for rapierfag all day
>night comes, he doesn't show
>he didn't even know I existed
>mfw

>>9422144
Rapiers are pretty thick in cross-section. Remember, most *actual* rapiers weigh about as much as a longsword, just drawn into a longer blade to pull the balance back into the hand. They're damn sturdy swords
also
>breaking swords
fuck outta here with that anime shit
>>
>>9422275
Snazzy, what are you going to put it on?
>>
>>9422318
>>breaking swords
>fuck outta here with that anime shit
swords broke all the fucking time
>>
File: swordbreaker.jpg (76KB, 541x720px)
swordbreaker.jpg
76KB, 541x720px
>>9422328
I've got a 14th century style tunic commissioned in a Deep Maroon. It should be lining the bottom and the cuffs! anything extra left over I think ill use as decoration on period shoes or other leatherwork. And get this! 3 meters only costed me 60 Dollars!

>>9422354
Swordbreakers are a thing too.
>>
>>9422318
>Rapiers are pretty thick in cross-section. Remember, most *actual* rapiers weigh about as much as a longsword, just drawn into a longer blade to pull the balance back into the hand. They're damn sturdy swords.
A little bit heavier than arming swords on average, if I remember right. Like you said, the balance being closer to the hand is what makes them "faster" and gives them better point control, nothing to do with weight. And since their blades tend to thicker as well, for better thrusting power, they're actually *harder* to break (in general) than a longsword.

>>9422419
They didn't actually break swords, though. Just caught them in the tines and used that to control the blade.
>>
>>9422419
sword-catchers would be a more accurate name however.

The wonderful irony is, that particular "sword breaker" is in fact broken.

look at it up close, and you can see where the blade was snapped ( about halfway) and welded back again, leaving a black crack line..
>>
File: Previouslysign.png (132KB, 328x323px) Image search: [Google]
Previouslysign.png
132KB, 328x323px
>>9422267
You forgot the pasta

>Yet again a larp thread which is for discussing everything related to Live Action Role Playing and the likes.
>"Ask and ye shalt receive!"

We should probably make a list of helpful links such as shops and online tutorials and shit though....

Well, I'll start out with a shop list then: https://pastebin.com/sXyCMf20

I haven't really bought much from shops online, could you guys help me fill out? I don't want to write down a shop I haven't had experience with personally.
>>
>>9422453
how ironic lol.

>>9422454
I just stick to etsy.
>>
File: Rapier bend.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
Rapier bend.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>9419424
>>9419609
Stupid question: How far down does it go? It looks like it would go past your navel.

If its goes past your belly button, I can pretty much guarantee you it will bind at your true waist.

>>9419683
Ehh... A little too modern for my tastes. Cover the laces at least.

>>9419785
>SCA might give you shit for it, but they also let dudes walk around in fantasy leather and fucking kydex, so fuck'em.

Depends on your group. Sadly, they do exist. I am thankful to be in the kingdom that tries and enforces standards...

>>9419786
>Can someone elaborate on SCA Rapier Combat?
Positive force, 100% target area swordplay, with sword styles doing everything from viking cutting swords to late estocs. Literally the rule set that every historic fencing sport in the US has based off of.

>>What do I need?
A legal weapon, and legal mask, legal torso protection and 100% skin coverage.

>>Where get that?
All over. Lets discuss budget and period first.

>What're the rules?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwj-4JrWo4zTAhUrwVQKHbN7AKsQFgglMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sca.org%2Fofficers%2Fmarshal%2Fdocs%2Frapier%2Frapier_handbook.pdf&usg=AFQjCNELQS4yS-1OqOF1nf7iuffdGmkjIw&sig2=kLaSZDw7jHFduNl2JNUNNA&cad=rja

>My garb is pretty meh to nonexistent, and I wanna basically have a shitload of tatt hanging from a gnarly baldric to make me look slightly more in character.

This part honestly sounds like a shit idea. At least have a decent tunic and shirt. Maybe a hood.

Try looking up a pattern for a "possibles bag" otherwise. You can easily sew a sword frog to the back.

>>9420400
>No hats
>All that costume work and couldn't be assed to removed the logo from their boots.
>Katanas

>>9420507
Depends on the group dynamics and rules of the larp. Dag is foam-tag with little story.

>>9421828
>>9421874
Wool, cut on a bias to allow for stretch. The particolours are pieced together and sewn.

>>9422144
Pic related.
>>
>>9422275
Unf.

>>9422318
>>9422442
Don't forget they are very well tempered. They will flex well before they bend.
>>
>>9422673
Armor-anon here

It currently goes just above my navel, I'm a tall guy.
>>
>>9422673
>>9422695
Now for my stupid question:
As you might be able to see in the picture the back is taller than the front. I had originally figured that most armor was like this to facilitate forward bending motions, but I haven't seen much truth to this. I still have the opportunity, while fixing and adjusting the shoulders and necklines, to bring them to the same height. If I still plan to do faulds, does it matter?
>>
>>9422695
You're ahead of the curve on US larp armour then.

>>9422711
I have never heard of any harness where the back is longer than the breast.
>>
>>9422711
Breastplate should never be shorter than the backplate. If you're doing faulds, there's precedent for having it dip low in the back.
>>
>>9422318
Che cazzo hai appena cazzo dici di me, è piccola cagna? Avrò tu sai che io sono laureato in alto della mia classe nella Salle, e sono stato coinvolto in numerose incursioni segrete in Renconquista, e ho più di 300 uccisioni confermate. Mi sono addestrato nella guerra spagnola e io sono il duellante superiore in tutte le forze armate europee. Tu non sei niente per me, ma solo un altro bersaglio. Vi pulire si cazzo con precisione del calibro di cui non è mai stato visto prima su questa Terra, marcare il mio cazzo di parole. Come il macellaio di un tasto di seta! Pensi che si può ottenere via con dire che la merda a me nel corso di piccione? Pensate di nuovo, figlio di puttana. Mentre parliamo Sto contattando la mia rete segreta di spie in tutta l'Inghilterra e si è tracciata in questo momento quindi è meglio prepararsi per la tempesta, larva. La tempesta che spazza via la piccola cosa patetica che chiamate la vostra vita. Sei fottuto morto, ragazzo. Posso essere ovunque, in qualsiasi momento, e posso ucciderti in oltre settecento modi, e questo è solo con il mio pene. Non solo sono abbondantemente addestrato al combattimento a mani nude, ma ho accesso a tutto l'arsenale d'Italia e Iberia & I lo userà per la sua estensione per pulire il culo miserabile dalla faccia del continente, stronzetto. Se solo si poteva sapere che cosa punizione scellerata tuo piccolo commento “intelligente” stava per abbattere su di voi, forse si sarebbe tenuto il tuo cazzo di lingua. Ma non si poteva, non hai, e ora si sta pagando il prezzo, è dannato idiota. Io merda furore su di te e ti farò annegare in esso. Sei fottuto morto, ragazzo.
>>
>>9422419
>swordbreaker
>doesn't even break swords
0/10
>>
File: 1467566043324.png (395KB, 514x826px) Image search: [Google]
1467566043324.png
395KB, 514x826px
>>9422755
Is that a spaghetti sauce recepie?
>>
File: 1465298992968.png (1MB, 736x889px)
1465298992968.png
1MB, 736x889px
>>9422755
>>
File: wallace_collection_rapiers_2.gif (18KB, 1053x599px) Image search: [Google]
wallace_collection_rapiers_2.gif
18KB, 1053x599px
>>9422442
>A little bit heavier than arming swords on average, if I remember right.
and to ellaborate on that a little, here are some data on the rapiers from the wallace collection
>>
File: wallace_collection_rapiers.gif (12KB, 1175x640px) Image search: [Google]
wallace_collection_rapiers.gif
12KB, 1175x640px
>>9423018
>>
>>9423018
>>9423019
LABEL YOUR AXES
>>
>>9423249
wasn't made by me, but feel free to label them as porcupines and how much am I aroused
>>
>>9422747
>If you're doing faulds, there's precedent for having it dip low in the back.

So, if I am reading this right, I do not need to make any changes in the current height of my breastplate and backplate (that is that the backplate is taller) if I make faulds.
>>
>>9423255
really depends on what kind of armour you want and it's also hard to say without puting on a human or a doll or whatever
>>
Nearly have my armor set complete.
Finally got myself some boots to fit my legplates
All I need to do now is trim my chainmail a bit.
I'll get the remaining pieces of armor from a local fair that's coming up.

It feels gud man.
>>
>>9423296
pics
>>
>>9423320
No chainmail because it's not done yet.

It's really simplistic but I don't care.
>>
File: 1485442554202.jpg (451KB, 750x1531px)
1485442554202.jpg
451KB, 750x1531px
Hey Hungarian, can you do a writeup of the process you use for the coal paint on your armor?
Or is there a tutorial somewhere?
Bumping with renaissance fluff
>>
>>9422675
what does UNF. mean.
>>9423356
Looks kind of cheap desu.
>>
>>9423399
I never said I had a lot of money desu.
Besides, the helmet cost me like 230 bucks alone.
>>
>>9423413
Not to be rude, but I think you got ripped off.

Have you checked the SCA for sale, for something better?
>>
>>9423443
I only buy from shops that are relatively close by, due to cost and me being on a time limit.
Being a dutchfag sucks, especially when half the shit I want doesn't fit me.
>>
>>9423443
>>9423413
$230 is cheap as hell for that style of close helm. Illusion is on the cheaper end of SCA gear, and even theirs sits around $500 for mild steel.

>>9423356
There's a great deal of stylistic mismatch, if that's a problem for you. Close helms tend to be kind of tricky to match without using them with a renaissance harness.
>>
>>9423461
I'm just gonna use it for fantasy larps and stuff.
I like dark souls okay. ;_;
>>
File: Reenactmentmarktsplaats.jpg (24KB, 320x568px) Image search: [Google]
Reenactmentmarktsplaats.jpg
24KB, 320x568px
>>9423356
The close helm looks kinda off yeah, also a little thin compared to the rest of the armour. I never really got why people are horny on them for LARPs. Next time try taking an open helmet, they tend to look better with random armour around it. Esp. open bascinets and kettle helmets should be your love.
You could check celticwebmerchant next time, or go to ForgeOfSvan, heck as a fellow Dutchfag I'd advice you not to buy on fairs in general. Re-enactment Marktplaats on Facebook should be your homespot for next time. Pic related on there f.e. is 2mm and on there for a 100 euros.
>>9423461
This guy gets it, although the helmet is still a bit on the expensive side depending on the quality.
>>
>>9423483
To be honest, I've looked at the helmet you suggested, I think they look disgusting, no offense.
>>
>>9423483
Looking at celticwebmerchant at the moment. Something I notice on that site, and not for the first time while looking for costume, is that their LARP armour made of metal is way cheaper than 'regular' armour made of metal. Why is that? Is stuff for LARPing lower quality metal or something?
>>
File: TipsKettle.jpg (100KB, 591x717px)
TipsKettle.jpg
100KB, 591x717px
>>9423510
Offence taken!

Nah, each their own taste ofcourse. Although I don't usually people disliking open-bascinets or kettle-helmets. They're the go-to helmet for any footman-esque character and can be used in a massively broad range of costumes and armour combinations.
>>
>>9423515
Much thinner and usually different kind of metal. You need to watch out a bit with CelticWebMerchant because it's a mixed bag of quality, and their LARP armour offers a metric ton of shit. In the bad sense of the word shit. But yeah, LARP armour has even less guidelines it needs to adhere to. You can take pretty much anything chest shaped and call it a 'fantasy' armour.

Their normal helmets are great for LARPing though.
>>
File: tumblr_mtm0fyfr5I1rg3vrmo1_500.png (157KB, 500x309px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mtm0fyfr5I1rg3vrmo1_500.png
157KB, 500x309px
>>9423516
Thing is, I specifically went out of my way one night while I was drinking, to buy a helmet like the elite knight helm from dark souls.
I owned the helmet for over a year atleast, and only now am I starting to get other armor pieces. The helmet has to stay.

I prefer the fantasy knight image over a footsoldier, feels more 'royal' and majestic.
>>
File: yeet.jpg (21KB, 236x382px)
yeet.jpg
21KB, 236x382px
>>9423538
Shame you couldnt have paid like 3 grand for a helm like this!
>>
File: closefaced.jpg (16KB, 236x353px) Image search: [Google]
closefaced.jpg
16KB, 236x353px
>>9423664
This style is really hard to get right though.
>>
>>9423666
Definitely. This is the 6th or 7th "I want to be the guy from Dark Souls" person who I've seen who had a rather 'meh' version of the helmet type.

Just pick up a visored barbuta if you want the cheap-o version done well.
>>
>>9423690
But what if I want my mouth to be a spike and not look like a warden from for honor?
desu I would've gotten the helm >>9423666 posted if I could.
>>
>>9423356
>>9423413
>>9423461
You got fucking hosed bro. Thats a $150 burgerbuck special on Amazon, and even then over priced.

>>9423666
And the crap in the pic is not even close to "done right"

>>9423399
The onomatopoeia for pelvic thrusting/dryhumping. Means its sexy.
>>
>>9423717

heres what you should do.

Armor is a nice addition to a kit, but its way advanced, and not required for a basic kit. It isn't garb anyways.

you should focus on your normal garb and look exceptional. And then in time, when your taste changes and yo develop more refined versions of the kit you want, hit that up!
>>
>>9423719
oh! thanks!

Highly recommend that artisan.
>>
>>9423721
Good advice.

>>9423723
Who is the artisan?
>>
>>9423721
What does this even mean.
I've literally never larped before, the purpose of the armor was to be a fantasy costume for a fair.
My brother told me it would be a waste to leave it at a fair, and suggested we join some local larp shit.
I literally don't know what these terms mean, nor did I look up a guide on how to build a kit, whatever that means.
>>
>>9423737
Let me explain: The thread leaves it easy to assume you're a larper.

Anon was telling you that, like many new folks, its better to get regular clothing for your character before getting armour.
>>
>>9423743
But I do have regular clothing already though.
>>
>>9423765
Heres hoping its not as crappy as your armor
>>
>>9423690
>Find a nice bascinet on Ebay
>Going to buy it
>See that the same supplier is selling a closed helm for the same price
>All the closed helms I've found are insanely expensive except for this one
>Only one left
>In a rush I buy the closed helm
>Even though I've only got a chainmail and surcoat rather than any other plate to go with it
>Soon regret the purchase and wish I'd gone for the bascinet instead
Fuck

I mean I do really like the closed helm and think it's quite nice (it's far from 'professional' but it was certainly worth the money, considering how cheap it was), but I'm kind of lamenting the fact I rushed to buy it without considering the fact that a different helmet would have looked better with the rest of my set up.
>>
>>9423768
Fine, I'll just toss it out and sod the whole thing.
>>
>>9423779
Return it, get a refund, and let us help.
>>
>>9423783
>implying I can get this refunded
very funny.
I'll just put it on a target dummy, atleast that way I'll get some use out of it.
>>
>>9423770
Close helms are pretty complex pieces of equipment.
I'd be happy to put a cheap bascinet or a sallet through its paces because those are more or less shaped steel dishes. Barring any horrible faults in steel quality, they should go above and beyond what you need for any foam game.
Close helms and armets have more points of failure, so a shitty one is going to fall apart long before a simpler one of the same quality.

>>9423664
Hnnng
>>
>>9423788
Sorry bro. We're not ripping on you out of malice, but out of exasperation. This kind of misinformed purchase is a common occurrence
>>
>>9423765

okay so "garb" is costume
"Kit" is your full setup. what your pushing for. AKA if you have a 14c kit, you would expect it to have the full set up including armor, weapons and gear.

I'm suggesting that you focus on getting really nice staple pieces that you will always love, and that won't go out of style. If you get a tunic, simple pants, and Winningas, you can fit into just about every fantasy/period setting, you can build on it, and it will never look bad. If you try for a really complex mage or something as a beginner you run the risk of making mistakes. And as you start to envelop yourself in the community you will find your ideals and taste change. What was cool as a beginner may now be obsolete to your new refined tastes, But that high quality basic gear will always have a staple.

If you focus on that as a beginner. you cant go wrong.
>>
>>9423783
Not a bad idea. But keep it. Honestly the rest of the kit you have especially the spaulders look nice. Focus on the base level garb though, I promise it will work out alot better for you!
>>
>>9423823
Best advice.

Quality tunic and simple pants should always be first purchase.

The amount of people I see with calis wearing t-shirts or khakis makes me cry
>>
>>9423823
I really should have followed this advice. It even occured to me when I was buying my kit - but the temptation to go with the (mildly) flashy guy I'd thought up was way too tempting.

If I really don't like my first character or die then I think I'm going to try and sell my kit and use the cash to buy more generic stuff like a white tunic and brown pants.
>>
>>9423836
Try this guy in Olive.( I promise its a good choice)
www.etsy.com/listing/453134004/viking-age-linen-birka-style-historical

And this in a darker color.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/168179432/winnegas-leg-wraps-100-wool-in-various

That tunic, Sweatpants(Really!) and winningas. and you have an awesome kit for 100 dollars.
>>
File: Kaftan.jpg (140KB, 564x846px) Image search: [Google]
Kaftan.jpg
140KB, 564x846px
>>9423854
>>9423836
Honestly. If you get sweatpants or something similar, it will work fine! the tunic covers the top portion/ any pockets, and the winingas hide the fact that its actually sweatpants.

The next advice I would be is to get some sort of a hood. The best Kits/garb are ones with layers. Adding a hood will kick you up to the next notch!
>>
>>9423836
Honestly, you can probably keep most of the pieces there. Selectively adding a few to another costume is a good way to maximize your costume variety with minimal expenditure. Like >>9423860 said, layers. The scarf is a good idea imo, it works well to hide the bottom part of the helmet and transition to the rest of the costume.
>>
>>9422267
love the look.
gambeson is underrated.

>>9423356
i see the effort.
if i saw you in a larp i would be more than okay with this but i would reccommend to add color.
pimp up this kit.
paint some simple heraldry on the plate and add some panache to the kit.
own the shining knigth look by being flamboyant.

>>9423516
the best thing about the kettle for me is how it protect your head and your shoulders from hits.
wich is nice if your system is about localised armour (bodypart hp and not full body hp)

>>9423721
true.
plus, the more you larp.
the more you will buy uality pieces second-hand
for real low cheap monneydolla'
but i understand why you want armor fast.
s long as you protect ylur head and hands, the rest is only bonus.

>>9423770
try it, if you dont like it sell it on your local larp fb page, someone will be happy to buy it i am sure.
(you can sell it the same price minjs the shipping at first or exchange it for another piece.

>>9423768
No matter what everyone says, you are still loved as a person.
if you ever need to talk we are here.

>>9423799
like gropalope said.
we dont want anyone to feel bad about their kit.
but if someone ask for advice on 4chun, most of the answers will be harsh.

We all bougth stuff we regretted immediatly.
i have a 14g pigface bascinet i never used once in combat.

>>9423827
hunnng those sexh sexy kits
>>
>>9423909
>the best thing about the kettle for me is how it protect your head and your shoulders from hits.
>which is nice if your system is about localized armour (body part hp and not full body hp)

I survived at the front line of a shield wall for so long once that I just faked my death because I got tired of getting bonked in the head (battle was almost over anyway).

Literally cheating, so don't spread it to much, let the vikingabos and knightfags stay where they are.
>>
File: 1490471970571.jpg (147KB, 961x693px)
1490471970571.jpg
147KB, 961x693px
cheap kit for real low cheap.

-one size too small sweatpants.
i went to Ardenne (a generic white woman store thats big in Canadaland) and bough lots of leggings.
its usualy between 5-10$ each.

now you can usually get a capuchon for around 30-40$
http://www.epicarmouryunlimited.com/fr/capuchon-medievales/4913-capuchon-classique-verte-pour-gn.html
(trust me it change your look and its comfy as fuck)

you also can get cheap tunic,but i would reccommend investing a little more if you have sensible nipples.
here is one for 20$ get it its a great deal
http://www.epicarmouryunlimited.com/fr/tuniques-medievaux/6190-TuniqueBeigeRFB.html

after that you will need
- a belt (wich can be a simple brown belt from the thrift shop)
- a pouch
here you go, you have a garb for under 200$
>>
>>9423860
I also wanted to point out a few things about this garb.

Notice how minimal it is yet at the same time being incredibly nice?

its layers.

The red Kaftan is shorter than the under tunic to highlight the layers he has, and the closure for the Kaftan adds an asymmetric aspect to the kid which draws your eyes across his body. and brings focus from his face to his legs and vise versa. Same with the color contract on his legs, you notice the natural color because the black. winigas.

Anyway you look at the kit there is depth and the patterning for the kit forces your eyes to examine the entire kit.

I'm sure all of us can take inspiration for our own kits one way or another from this.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1486878443468.jpg (60KB, 668x623px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1486878443468.jpg
60KB, 668x623px
Gambesons, what to look for?
What's a big no no?
Personally im looking for a long sleeved, collared, that goes almost all the way to the knees.
Is that good? (in general)
>>
File: DSC03065.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03065.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>9423394
you get really fine coal powder, I use active coal for this purpose because that's what I could got relatively cheap.
Then linseed oil (technically any such oil would be good enough, I would use rapeseed oil just for giggles and shit but it's too expensive around here)

You mix the two then paint your armour with it. Then add layers as necessary.
That's all.

You obviously need to clean the armour beforehand, and such stuff but that goes without saying in any kind of painting.

The only tricky part is to find out the correct ratio for the mixture. I have no clue about this, I always do it by eye so far, but rule of thumb is if you have more coal than needed the excess coal can be wiped off afterwards.
Also it can get messy.
>>
>>9423909
>i have a 14g pigface bascinet i never used once in combat

Everyone thought it was your face?

>badum tish

To be fair, I almost made that mistake, too. But I wore it for about 15 minutes and decided it was massively uncomfortable and stuck with an open faced helmet instead.
>>
>>9424332
I love the charred look to that piece.
Find a way to make the exposed spots of the kit glow and you got youself some neat magma knight shit.
>>
File: DSC03132.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03132.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>9424407
I do it for the munitions grade authentic look. The texture is similar now to some armour that are in the museums. Also it's a cheap and easy way to paint the armour.

Although if I would have fuckton money I would use proper blackening for it, but even that would had to be redone every year...
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-06-12-18-49.png (545KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-06-12-18-49.png
545KB, 720x1280px
>>
File: Dutchman.jpg (272KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
Dutchman.jpg
272KB, 1152x648px
>>9422755 >>9422916
What the fuck heb je gewoon verdomd over mij zeggen, jij kleine trut? Ik heb u weet dat ik afgestudeerd top van mijn klas in de Navy Seals, en ik ben betrokken bij tal van geheime aanvallen op Al-Qaeda, en ik heb meer dan driehonderd bevestigd kills. Ik ben getraind in gorilla oorlogvoering en ik ben de top sluipschutter in de gehele Amerikaanse strijdkrachten. Je bent niets voor mij maar gewoon een ander doelwit. Ik zal u veeg the fuck out met precisie de wil van die nog nooit eerder vertoond op deze aarde, let op mijn verdomde woorden. Je denkt dat je kunt wegkomen met te zeggen dat stront aan me over het internet? Denk nog eens na, klootzak. Op dit moment Ik neem contact met mijn geheim netwerk van spionnen in de Verenigde Staten en uw IP wordt momenteel opgespoord, zodat u beter voor te bereiden op de storm, made. De storm die veegt de zielige ding dat je je leven noemen. Je bent fucking dood, jongen. Ik kan overal, op elk moment, en ik kan je vermoorden in meer dan zevenhonderd manieren, en dat is gewoon met mijn blote handen. Niet alleen ben ik uitgebreid getraind in ongewapend gevecht, maar ik heb toegang tot het hele arsenaal van de United States Marine Corps en ik zal het gebruiken om zijn volle omvang aan je ellendige reet af te vegen van het gezicht van het continent, jij kleine stront. Als alleen je zou kunnen hebben geweten wat onheilige vergelding je kleine “slimme” opmerking was op het punt om naar beneden te brengen op u, misschien zou je je verdomde tong gehouden. Maar dat kon je niet, je niet deed, en nu ben je de prijs betalen, verdomme idioot. Ik zal woede schijt over je heen en je zult verdrinken. Je bent dood verdomme, kiddo.
>>
>>9422267
Dear larpthread,

Why does every Dutchfag that comes here feel the need to point out they are one?

t. Dutchfag
>>
>>9424542
I don't know, sometimes it doesn't even matter wether they're a Dutchfag or not.

.t Dutchfag
>>
>>9424542

Because you lot are a special kind of conceited.

Much love, your southern cousin.
>>
I selling EVA elithe knight helmet on my etsy shop.
>>
>>9424567
>regretsy
>>
>>9422673
If you have to squint at the screen until you seen the 1cm logo on my boot that counts at nitpicking.

As for katana there is no excuse.
>>
File: heresy2.jpg (132KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
heresy2.jpg
132KB, 960x720px
>>9424581
>As for katana there is no excuse.
reverse nanbando
>>
File: SAM_4405.jpg (2MB, 3648x5472px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_4405.jpg
2MB, 3648x5472px
>>9422267
>Post a picture of your Kit so we can give you shit about it!
Well I might as well start it Here are a few from various years and with various problems
>>
>>9423951
Also have a guide to making costumes for about £5 [US$6.25 /5.86 Euros / 0.00534076 bitcoins etc]
http://tutorials.abbott.me.uk/costume/no-excuses
>>
>>9424596
>>
File: IMGP0243.jpg (4MB, 3872x2592px)
IMGP0243.jpg
4MB, 3872x2592px
>>9424602
>>
File: _ZAG3424_DxO.jpg (4MB, 4000x6000px)
_ZAG3424_DxO.jpg
4MB, 4000x6000px
>>9424604
>>
File: S1090040.jpg (2MB, 2232x3968px)
S1090040.jpg
2MB, 2232x3968px
>>9424606
>>
>>9424609
I think the armor is really neat, but the exposed legs trigger my autism.
>>
>>9424484
I want Thibault to leave
>>
>>9420400
I love it. What period is it based on?
>>
>>9424318
I don't know too much about measurements, but if you're looking to do any fighting or other strenuous activity in it, synthetic padding is a big no-no.
>>
>>9424581
Im with gropey, and thats bigger than a cm. 30 seconds with a seam ripper could aolve the problem. Are you just lazy or a faggot?
>>
>>9424318
http://www.steel-mastery.com/en/padded-armour/gambesons

http://forgeofsvan.com/product-category/shop/padded-stuff/

https://armstreet.com/store/gambesons-padding/

Just three vendors as an example. There are a lot more out there. I'd recommend bumming around HEMA and SCA groups to hunt down a maker you like.
To be honest, a quality gambeson is not at all hard to get your hands on. I know people who have done small alterations to bottom-tier Epic Armory coats and use them in steel sparring with no complaints. Just make sure that the padding is sufficient for what you intend to use them for. LARP tapfights, for example, don't really even need anything beyond a single layer of pre-stitched quilting fabric (if you're just going for costuming, of course).
They're also easy enough to make if you're patient and have an ounce of skill at sewing.

>>9424332
Is there a way to smooth out the surface, or is it always that gritty?
I actually really like how rough that finish is, though. Perfect for a mercenary character.

>>9424606
cryptid spotted
>>
>>9424887
>Is there a way to smooth out the surface, or is it always that gritty?
>I actually really like how rough that finish is, though. Perfect for a mercenary character.
weeeeeell... if you do it really thick and then use really fine sandpaper then maybe. But I won't bet on it. This is a rough thing, easy and cheap to use it's for (not wealthy) mercenaries and for general munitions grade stuff

>cryptid spotted.
what is cryptid?

>>9424644
don't worry, we are all autists here
>>
>>9424916
>what is cryptid?

Made-up animals that fringe groups think exist. Like Bigfoot, or the Rake, or skinwalkers.
>>
>>9424957
>skinwalkers.
haha, I wouldn't worry about it
>>
>>9424984
well, you should have protected your general. I mean he is a very important person in the army, should have had more bodyguards
>>
>>9424969
>I woulnd't worry about skinwalkers

.... said the skinwalker.
>>
File: skinwalker.png (71KB, 1000x700px)
skinwalker.png
71KB, 1000x700px
>>9424581
Now you're justifying mediocrity. Like >>9424860, points out, you could have taken one minute to not be a loser, but you blew it.

>>9424674
>Regency Larp
>What period is it based on?
There you go.

>>9424860
>Are you just lazy or a faggot?
Im going with him being a lazy faggot.

>>9424957
The Rake is creepypasta, not a cryptid.

>>9424969
>>9425026
Pic
>>
File: Random pouch.jpg (82KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Random pouch.jpg
82KB, 540x960px
working on a little pouch
>>
File: random pouch 1.jpg (87KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
random pouch 1.jpg
87KB, 540x960px
>>9425119
>>
>>9425119
>>9425121
Excellent tooling.
>>
>>9425078
>Now you're justifying mediocrity. Like >>9424860, points out, you could have taken one minute to not be a loser, but you blew it.
is this the new standard? someone not hiding small emblem at the back of his boots and becomes a fucking loser?
Because I can remember a few of your failed projects too...
>>
>>9425125
Not taking five seconds to remove a modern tag that is fully exposed on the side of his is mediocrity, yes.

>Because I can remember a few of your failed projects too...
Damn straight, as can I, and I work to get better. For example, I used hockey gloves until I could afford good gauntlets, but I removed the tags and covered emblems, before eventually covering them with quilting. Its the little things man.
>>
>>9425125
Clownfag is right. Its right on the outside of the boot he's Captain Morgan posing in. He could have cut it off in two snips. Its not "nike swoosh" bad, but its lazy.
>>
>>9425130
okay fuck it. It's 2 am here but I'm out of fucks

First of all, you more then once put less than desirable effort into stuff. If not removing a sticker makes someone a loser than by that standard you are a loser too.

Secondly, those are pretty decent costumes, the boots having a little sticker not even on the front is such a minor thing that only faggots with a stick up in their ass would complain about it. Is it ruining your immersion? Good, I hope it also hurts because pain builds character.

Thirdly boots is always the last piece of equipment that should be "perfect" and even than we don't care that much about it. It's a fucking game.

Fourthly, I could take you more seriously in this question if you post your own pics that are taken on larps in the larp thread not just sca pics.

>>9425137
He is right about being a faggot. I mean do you seriously think we are at the level that calling each other a loser because one fucking sticker or whatever is on the footwer? What will be the next? Calling others a nolife because they have the wrong kind of buttons? Weapon has too bright color and now you are a noob? machinesewn costumes are the mark of neets?

Seriously sometimes I wonder what the fuck you guys think. Finding one little mistake and latching on like it's the motherfucking apocalypse. You couldhave called out so many things. The scabbard, the pouch, how the upper gaerment is made, the pants, the belt.
No, none of those. A motherfucking white lineart on black image on a black boots all of this no bigger than a few centimeters. That's what rustled your jimmies. An unimportant thing that most people doesn't even notice.
>>
File: Ice Brawl II.jpg (140KB, 960x767px)
Ice Brawl II.jpg
140KB, 960x767px
>>9425149
>First of all, you more then once put less than desirable effort into stuff.

I dunno... Period hose, footwear, steel armour, hand quilted gambeson, constantly improving my harness.... Old pic is me barely dressed at a local larp, and minus the point at my leg harness blowing out I feel quite comfortable in my kit and portrayal.

>Secondly, those are pretty decent costumes, the boots having a little sticker not even on the front is such a minor thing that only faggots with a stick up in their ass would complain about it. Is it ruining your immersion? Good, I hope it also hurts because pain builds character.
Thirdly boots is always the last piece of equipment that should be "perfect" and even than we don't care that much about it. It's a fucking game.

He put so much work into the rest of the costume, why couldn't he take the time to just do ONE little thing? The kit is /good/ so therefore, its time to focus on the small details. Get me? Knitpicking comes with quality.

>Fourthly, I could take you more seriously in this question if you post your own pics that are taken on larps in the larp thread not just sca pics.

And as someone who's on my facebook, you'll see them first when they get posted. The larp I have been playing in locally is less than 100 people, and doesn't have anyone taking pics. For SCA, reenactment events and ACL events, I haven't had time to actually trawl through the pics and actually tag myself. I would LOVE for more pics of the games I am in, because they are exploding in the quality of their kit because of threads like these giving advice, and pointing out the details.

Get off the cross.
>>
>>9425149
>You couldhave called out so many things. The scabbard, the pouch, how the upper gaerment is made, the pants, the belt.

>>9425161
>The kit is /good/ so therefore, its time to focus on the small details. Get me? Knitpicking comes with quality.

+1 to Gropey. The costume is a great attempt. He could do lots of things better like Hun said, but they look above average for most larps. The logo on the boots take away from it.
>>
I hate it when mum and dad fight
>>
>>9425149
>Thirdly boots is always the last piece of equipment that should be "perfect" and even than we don't care that much about it. It's a fucking game.
He put so much effort into the rest of the costume that not taking the logo off kills it.

>>9425168
Yeah, but im siding with papa clown on this.
>>
>>9425161
>I dunno... Period hose, footwear, steel armour, hand quilted gambeson, constantly improving my harness....
dicksword if we are playing the blame game.

>He put so much work into the rest of the costume, why couldn't he take the time to just do ONE little thing? The kit is /good/ so therefore, its time to focus on the small details. Get me? Knitpicking comes with quality.
you really doesn't even see what you wrote did you? calling someone loser and lazy faggot because of a little logo on their boots is not the same as knitpicking.
You know me I'm all for vulgarism but don't try to do it from a moral high ground. You as much as a failure as the next guy in these threads.

>And as someone who's on my facebook, you'll see them first when they get posted.
And I give jackshit about that. If you want to put your money where your mouth is you should post them here as well.

>>9425166
>The logo on the boots take away from it.
Are you even real? something that 90% of the times you won't even see takes away from the look more than all the other things I mentioned? Are you even TRY to knitpick?
This goes for you as well Gropey
>>
ITT Hema/SCA pedants forget this a larp thread.

Bitcher than the lolita!
>>
>>9425171
>dicksword if we are playing the blame game.

That I can't help sadly with most American games.

>you really doesn't even see what you wrote did you? calling someone loser and lazy faggot because of a little logo on their boots is not the same as knitpicking.
>You know me I'm all for vulgarism but don't try to do it from a moral high ground. You as much as a failure as the next guy in these threads.

Its fucking Readmiww. He knows the game when it come to us badmouthing eachother. I am sorry you got triggered.

>If you want to put your money where your mouth is you should post them here as well.

You know I am vain. As soon as I actually have some to post, I will.

>something that 90% of the times you won't even see takes away from the look more than all the other things I mentioned?

Yes, because its dead center of the photo. There is your 10%, and it could have been an easy fix.

I COULD have ragged on the coat's construction, the modern shirt being worn, the belt, the baldric the modern pants and the modern boots, but for what it is, and what he's trying to do, goddamn it, its a really good effort as far as most larp costumes go, and especially for the period (which is obscure for most based on larp standards), it is a decent and admirable attempt. Regency is not a common reenacting period, nor are patterns as readily available in the massive quantities of earlier periods. He tried and it shows. He also could have removed the fucking tags.
>>
>>9425179
Except Gropes actually being the supportive moderate and has a point. Is this bizzaro /larpthread/?
>>
>>9425181
>I COULD have ragged on the coat's construction, the modern shirt being worn, the belt, the baldric the modern pants and the modern boots, but for what it is, and what he's trying to do, goddamn it, its a really good effort as far as most larp costumes go, and especially for the period (which is obscure for most based on larp standards), it is a decent and admirable attempt. Regency is not a common reenacting period, nor are patterns as readily available in the massive quantities of earlier periods. He tried and it shows. He also could have removed the fucking tags.
Its so rare that I agree with you entirely, but this is one of those times.
>>
File: 20170331_210720.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px)
20170331_210720.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Oh hai guys. I see you've been busy.

I got to spend a whole weekend in a country house drinking port, dancing, hitting thigs with swords, all the while looking snazzy. The larp is in a low fantesy regency setting. So the stitch counting seems a bit redundent. But meh.
>>
>>9425195
Have you read the thread? Gropey is actually defending your costume overall.
>>
Jacket itself was based off the one worn in the "Duel at Blood Creek" video on Youtube.

It is fucking hilarious.
>>
>>9425195
And more power to you. As a professional in late 18thC history, I actually applaud your work. You still could have clipped off the damn tag.

>>9425199
FUCKING LOVE THAT VIDEO.
>>
>>9425181
>That I can't help sadly with most American games.
yeah sure, first get a proper larp weapon then start preaching in larp threads

>Its fucking Readmiww. He knows the game when it come to us badmouthing eachother. I am sorry you got triggered.
I thought the game is we point out actual problems not nitpicking on minute details like retards. That is for arms and armour stuff

>You know I am vain. As soon as I actually have some to post, I will.
hence why I said you rarely post. Which is a problem if you try to shittalk others in larpthreads

>Yes, because its dead center of the photo. There is your 10%, and it could have been an easy fix.
carefully, because you slowly will shift from "that thing ruins my immersion because it can be seen clearly" to "that thing ruins my immersion because it can be seen clearly in a specific photo"

>I COULD have ragged on the coat's construction, the modern shirt being worn, the belt, the baldric the modern pants and the modern boots, but for what it is, and what he's trying to do, goddamn it,
and you done none of that. You focused on the one thing that most of the time isn't even seen. Yes it would be a one minute job that would improve the costume in less then 0,1%.
I'm fucking tired when people focuse on shit no sane person cares about. Why is it so hard to focus on the stuff that actually matters?
THIS is how you became an elitist faggot, which is not the good kind of elitist. Or the good kind of faggot.

>He also could have removed the fucking tags.
but he didn't and now his costume is ruined forever.
>>
>>9425202
>yeah sure, first get a proper larp weapon then start preaching in larp threads

Like the smaller latex game I play? No prob. I'll continue to preach.

>hence why I said you rarely post. Which is a problem if you try to shittalk others in larpthreads

I can't help the lack of people taking pics. I'll take more bathroom selfies if you really want.

>and you done none of that. You focused on the one thing that most of the time isn't even seen. Yes it would be a one minute job that would improve the costume in less then 0,1%.
I'm fucking tired when people focuse on shit no sane person cares about. Why is it so hard to focus on the stuff that actually matters?
>THIS is how you became an elitist faggot, which is not the good kind of elitist. Or the good kind of faggot.

You're cherry picking what I am saying. He made a very good attempt at an uncommon costume that I am quite certain based on katana dude, is much better than most at his larp. He still could have clipped the tag.

>but he didn't and now his costume is ruined forever.

You should check your sodium levels bro.
>>
>>9425202
Are you on the rag Hun?
>>
>>9425199
>>9425201
>"Duel at Blood Creek"
Link?

>>9425202
You should really get some sleep. You're missing the point and got a hella sandy vagina going.
>>
>>9425224
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcSWsdTdYGI
>>
>>9425181
>its a really good effort as far as most larp costumes go, and especially for the period (which is obscure for most based on larp standards), it is a decent and admirable attempt. Regency is not a common reenacting period, nor are patterns as readily available in the massive quantities of earlier periods. He tried and it shows. He also could have removed the fucking tags.

Never thought of it like that. There needs to be more flintlock fantasy games. Tricorners are baller.
>>
>>9425229
>There needs to be more flintlock fantasy games
I wouldn't argue.

>Tricorners are baller.
Ehhh... Half cocked and bicocked are better.
>>
>>9425078
>The Rake is creepypasta, not a cryptid.
Squares, rectangles, etc.
>>
>>9425195
>I got to spend a whole weekend in a country house drinking port, dancing, hitting thigs with swords, all the while looking snazzy. The larp is in a low fantesy regency setting. So the stitch counting seems a bit redundent. But meh.
I want in on this, so so much.

>>9425179
>ITT Hema/SCA pedants forget this a larp thread.
>Bitcher than the lolita!
Sorry still not bitchier then lolita. No on is accusing one another of purposely imitating a dead girl for facebook likes.

>>9425229
>Never thought of it like that. There needs to be more flintlock fantasy games. Tricorners are baller.
I'd actually like tricorns in this case. Far better then shoehorning them into "pirate' outfits into larps with an otherwise medieval theme.
>>
>>9425241
...What? No.

Cryptids are long existing folk monsters intrinsic to an location and culture, believed to exist either as a mundane or paranormal being. Some cryptids have turned out to be actual animals etc.

Creepypasta is online amateur horror short stories.

>>9425242
Hey stranger! Havn't seen you post in a while.

>I want in on this, so so much.
Might be doing something like this with my colonial williamsburg coworkers/18thC reenacting buddies.

>Sorry still not bitchier then lolita.
Recently found myself in the Rococouji/ Macrouji thread. It was bitchy, but cool to educate about 18thC fashion.

>Far better then shoehorning them into "pirate' outfits into larps with an otherwise medieval theme.
THIS!

Dumping pics from the 18thC Horror larp, De la Bête. Based loosely on the Bbeast of Gevaudan.
>>
>>9425246
>>
>>9425249
>>
File: tumblr_n8hw6shIKY1scyrtto4_1280.jpg (564KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n8hw6shIKY1scyrtto4_1280.jpg
564KB, 1280x854px
>>9425251
>>
File: 1484603561490.jpg (17KB, 480x514px)
1484603561490.jpg
17KB, 480x514px
>>9425183
>Except Gropes actually being the supportive moderate and has a point.
>Nitpicking tiny details and calling the poster a loser for prioritizing an overall good-looking costume over tiny logo on his boot is being "supportive" and "moderate."
>>
>>9425246
>Hey stranger! Havn't seen you post in a while.
I lurk, but I don't really have anything to show. I've been spending all my time on lolita as it brings in the dosh haha.

>Might be doing something like this with my colonial williamsburg coworkers/18thC reenacting buddies.

Sounds like a good time

>Recently found myself in the Rococouji/ Macrouji thread. It was bitchy, but cool to educate about 18thC fashion.
I saw that, the juxtaposition of your historical critique against the general accepted lolita ascetics was interesting.

>>9425249
>>425251
These are awesomely terrifying
>>
File: tumblr_n8hw6shIKY1scyrtto8_1280.jpg (419KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n8hw6shIKY1scyrtto8_1280.jpg
419KB, 800x1200px
>>9425257
Readmiww knows its out of love. Like the readheaded stepchild. Next time, he'll have the tag clipped.

>>9425261
>I've been spending all my time on lolita as it brings in the dosh haha.
I know the feels.

>the juxtaposition of your historical critique against the general accepted lolita ascetics was interesting.

I introduced them to Macaroni fashion. My work is done.

>These are awesomely terrifying
I am super jelly.
>>
File: De la Bête LARP1.jpg (528KB, 800x1200px)
De la Bête LARP1.jpg
528KB, 800x1200px
>>9425272
>>
>>9425277
....what.
>>
>>9425202
You've really missed the point Hungary-chan. I am loath to say it but Gropey is right.
>>
>>9422267
I feel like you guys are a good place to ask.

I go to a battlegame (not Amtgard, put down your pitchforks) and I'm thinking of starting a smaller faction, probably with a vast majority of newer, and therefore kinda shit, players. Including myself, I think I can raise 2, maybe 3 other more experienced players to help me lead, but it's doubtful that any of them would want to run as a leader constantly.

It'll be a peasants turned mercenary theme, with the "peasants" as the lower level, newer players, and the "mercenary leaders" as the higher level, better equipped players. Obviously the idea would be the peasants slowly climb higher in the mercenary ranks the more gear they acquire or make, and the better they get at the game.

Anyway, getting to the point. What kind of tactics did people use historically to outfit, train, and then lead into battle, a group of untrained villagers? I know levies were a thing, but I don't know where to start researching how they actually fought.

>It'll likely be one or two experienced players with about 10-15 "new" players per battle
>I was thinking shields and chainmaille coifs as an easy to mass produce equipment I could make for players to use
>I need to know what kind of tactics would be helpful to manage a force of 10-15 untrained fighters with only 2 (including me) officers
>Any other easy to use tactics

Generally there's about 1-3 hundred players in a battle game, at this LARP, so we'll be fighting with others. ANy resources on the equipment of mercenaries, levies or brigands, or battle tactics would be great. would be awesome. Aiming for pre-1600's, mainly European/English
>>
>>9425202
>>9425214
I'm gonna err more towards Hungarian's camp here. THe logo is barely visible. Yeah, he could have removed it, but then there's also a chance there'd be an ugly torn up black patch on his boot.

Plus, will it really be visible when he's moving? When he's fighting? Because I can be pretty certain that personally, if he was fighting me with sword to sword, I wouldn't even register the logo on his boot.

I get that it's important to nitpick, but calling him lazy for something so minor I doubt anybody noticed him until now isn't really a good way to conduct feedback.
>>
>>9425390
>Newfag not realizing namefags hold each other to higher standards.
Welcome to LARP thread. Hungarian LARPfag is the biggest nitpick here.
>>
>>9425277
>>9425288
I think someone's trying to spam/sell shit on this thread
>>
File: Pike drill.jpg (125KB, 758x638px) Image search: [Google]
Pike drill.jpg
125KB, 758x638px
>>9425378
>not Amtgard, put down your pitchforks

Nothing wrong with the game itself, but the toxic culture developed within.

>Anyway, getting to the point. What kind of tactics did people use historically to outfit, train, and then lead into battle, a group of untrained villagers? I know levies were a thing, but I don't know where to start researching how they actually fought.

Pike and musket, with a side order of musket and pike. From 1540 on, those will become the predominant battlefield force, and both with training manuals designed to best train recruits to fight with them. For light infantry levees, armour, if any, was typically a quilted or buff jack, and maybe a simple helmet like a cabbaset or morion.

Professional troops would get more substantial armour, typically in a breastplate (not always with a back), helmet, and possibly faulds and pauldrons, as they would take the front ranks, supported by the levees. Targeteers would be commonly in half or demiharness, and officers would be all over the spectrum. Officers commonly carried polearms.

Even without muskets, were you able to pull off a tercio of pikemen with a modicum of drill, you would probably turn some heads. There are many manuals reprinted with step by step picture guides, exactly for training levees.

>>9425390
If you can spend all that time and effort in designing and assembling a costume, and getting decent boots for it, you can take three seconds to use a seam ripper and remove the tag. Readmiww is capable of such. To not do it is lazy.

>>9425401
Maybe a wrong thread.
>>
>>9425378
There's two parts to that question; what happened historically and what would be effective for your group.

What precise equipment and tactics obviously varied massively depending on what culture and period you are talking about. However let's keep things simple and talk mainly about 15/16thC England.

The basic model was not swathes of peasants conscripted straight from the fields, then given minimal training before being herded into battle. What instead happened is that a series of laws required all freemen to own a certain set of equipment according to their wealth and status and to drill regularly with them. Sunday archery is of course the most famous but other weapons were included in the training sessions organised locally.

The idea was that it built a large reserve of at least semi-trained men equipped at their own expense, who had years of weekend practice at the art of war, for defense and the ability to skim the cream of the crop for campaigns abroad.

Bows and bills were the primary weapons of the County Militia, with pike and firearms appearing later. Swords or mallets and bucklers were secondary weapons with knives as the last resort.

Armour starts off with a gambeson or brigandine for the torso and a helmet (usually a bascinet or sallet depending on period). Acquiring more armour with campaign experience and loot was very much a thing during the HYW and some soldiers who started out as archers eventually were able to make the jump to being fully equipped men-at-arms.

Osprey books vary from ok to shit for history but there are worse ways to get a feel for things than skimming them. This is larp not history but take everything with copious salt.
>>
>>9425378
>>9425433
What does that mean in practice?

Unlike a 15thC militia, you are starting from scratch.

Hopefully armour does something in your system, so try to get everyone equipped with a gamby and helmet as a base. At least a helmet if they are feeling poor.

Decide (again this is partly down to system) whether you want to go down the polearm or shieldwall route. Shieldwalls are more Early/High Medieval but this is larp. Either work as the basis for your unit. At that size you need to be able both to deal with other small units and fighting in mass battles which are different skills.
>>
>>9425446
The secret is practice, practice, practice. Train as often as you can with as many people as you can.

Train everything from duels to line fights as large as you can muster. Keeping switching between various games and the sides to keep things fresh. If one side keeps winning take a break to ask why that is and what the other guys could do differently.

Aside from personal weapons ability, the two key skills for a unit are battlefield awareness and communication.

BA is about knowing what is going on, both on your team and the enemy. Surprise will get you killed. If one side of the unit is being slaughtered cry a warning or the rest may get killed from behind because the guys they thought were protecting them are all dead. Silence will isolate you. It's hard, and many people are shy in battles but it has to be overcome to be effective.

Make sure everyone knows the command structure, and what the commands are. Practice following orders and moving as a unit. You would be surprised how hard it is to get even a 10 man line moving smoothly. Give everyone a chance to command in practice to show how it works and to make sure that decapitating the officers doesn't destroy the unit.

Staying alive and maintaing the integrity of the line is more important than recklessly opening yourself to get kills. However also beware the tendency for newer warriors to be frozen with fear of death and so not put in shots and give up iniative entirely.
>>
>>9425433
>>9425446
Wait, so what periodish is he going for? I was taking "pre 1600s" as general 16thC.

Otherwise, we got a ton of variance.
>>
>>9425457
I'm guessing the typical pseudo-medieval/ renaissance fantasy buisness.

Variations in equipment aside, the practicalities of training a bunch of guys for a battlegame are mostly date agnostic since so much of it is transferable skills.

http://nvg.org.au/documents/other/vikingdrillcomands.pdf

Here's a nifty set of Old Norse battle commands. You don't actually have to be yelling in a dead language, but having your unit used to it's own command vocabularly is very important. When you shout "withdraw" it's pretty important to know whether that is a fighting retreat slowly backing off or an order to flee for your lives and peg it out of there.
>>
File: heavy breathing.jpg (74KB, 500x496px)
heavy breathing.jpg
74KB, 500x496px
>>9425417
>Perfect tercios marching on the larp field
>Pike formations mowing down stick jock grognards at a march.

As much as I want this to happen, this would never work in an Ameri-larp.
>>
Going to Thessaloniki,
anything shops worth checking out?
>>
>>9425149
>but the guy is the only one who took the word loser into his mouth

What the fuck Hungarian, chill out. If you scroll back up it sounds a little whiney but the original post just bluntly stated a few thing wrong with a kit he otherwise described as "you put a lot of work in," It's kinda painful the creator of it threw a hissy fit and made it far worse than the actual comment could've been taken, where as Gropes could've done some more work in bringing it in a managment approved way of a compliment sandwich. But it is 4chan afterall, you abosolute faggot, and as we said last thread we're allowed to be meanie bo beanies.
>>
>>9425378
>>9425417
>>9425433
>>9425454
The problem for me here is the basic investment you're going to let players make for starting the game, helmet + gambi + spear could easily range you into the easy 250-300 because spears are fucking expensive. How are you going to enforce newbie players to get these weapons?

In all honesty though, a cheap-o gambison is so much better than just the basic tabbard idea people would get you to wear. If you want to be a fun guy try getting them into more period correct clothing by maybe looking into hosen, or rather woollen leggings from the store (they exist). Also if you have a few players hitched check out for group value on kettlehelmets or openface bascinets, you can most likely pick them up cheap.
>>
File: serveimage[1].jpg (308KB, 1800x1000px)
serveimage[1].jpg
308KB, 1800x1000px
>>9425473

Full crusader pic on tower.

Do it.
>>
>>9425554
This fucking triggers me, indian ebay guy didnt send me my sugar loaf helmet and remembered to do it on the fay i asked for a refund (last day for estimated arrival)
Fuck that street shitter, i wanted that helmet with me.
>>
>>9425475
nobody put any word in his mouth. That's hat he plainly stated, not first but after the owner of the boots said that it's not an important thing.

>It's kinda painful the creator of it threw a hissy fit and made it far worse than the actual comment could've been taken
The what? how is this >>9424581 a hissy fit? Are we in such a stimulus free environment that this counts as a hissy fit? Will we need safe places too?

> But it is 4chan afterall, you abosolute faggot, and as we said last thread we're allowed to be meanie bo beanies.
I never hid the fact that I'm an absolute faggot which also means I will call out other faggots when I see them. Also I don't promote faggotry for the sole sake of being a faggot. If you shittalk do it for stuff that actually counts.

>>9425214
>You're cherry picking what I am saying. He made a very good attempt at an uncommon costume that I am quite certain based on katana dude, is much better than most at his larp. He still could have clipped the tag.
So let's recap.
He posts the picture
You bring up the problem of no hats, katanas and "All that costume work and couldn't be assed to removed the logo from their boots."
He says that the logo is such a small and minor thing that this is nitpicking
other guy says he is either lazy or a faggot
you agree and say he is a loser because of not removing the logo also one up and states he is a lazy faggot
Then I join in, asking if this is the new standard then autism intensifies and now we are at the "well it's a good costume but should have removed the logo" part
This is not cherry picking, this was the main point of my argument from the start. The idiotic nitpicking on stuff that noone cares about. "there is a tiny logo on the boots" "wrong kind of buckle on the puoch" "not the proper hat" etc, when we are talking about a motherfucking larp. It's a shit kind of perspective to focus on tiny details and making a huge problem from it.
>>
>>9425601
Hungarian what happend in short boils down to both sides reacting like cunts, but the first post was constructive criticism. If you can't read the "all that costume work and" as being a snuck in compliment you need to get your austimos checked.

The guy responded to somebody pointing out a small thing in his costume in a defensive mode, making it only worse and both sides digging themselves in.

TL;DR stop being a faggot, all of you.
>>
>>9425602
so by trying to defend his point he called all this on himself?
>>
>>9425606
>Get constructive advice which is almost no work
>"OMG GUYS STOP BEING BULLY! ONLY NITPCIKERS WILL SEE THIS!"

Well we saw it, and pointed it out. At that point nothing really dick-ish was said, that only came afterwards as everybody got entrenched in ther opinion.
>>
>>9425610
Alright. I apologize. I went overboard I've seen too much into all of this.
I hoped this isn't alright even here.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1490083144544.jpg (4KB, 245x267px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1490083144544.jpg
4KB, 245x267px
Good lord, this thread.

Now everyone lets take out our circles of safety paper and draw each other an apology picture. Ideally using non toxic wax crayons!

Should have some more photos in next week or so. But the camera guy LOVES flash, so no idea if useable.
>>
File: WhyAreYouReadingThisHungarian.jpg (468KB, 1056x792px) Image search: [Google]
WhyAreYouReadingThisHungarian.jpg
468KB, 1056x792px
>>9425615
>>9425650
>>
>tfw the only pictures of your new garb and kit are pictures for ants

I'd ask critiques, but you can't see shit captain.
>>
>>9425685
You make a handsome collection of pixels
>>
>>9425685
minecraft/10

Looks good from a distance, that's all I can say from the picture.
>>
File: 1474167815479.jpg (64KB, 1280x720px)
1474167815479.jpg
64KB, 1280x720px
>>9425468
>mfw a chunky grognard in black studded leather charges the enemy pike formation shouting "parry parry parry!"
>>
>>9425610
It was really less constructive criticism and more of a back-handed compliment. I get why someone with shitty social skills could see it as an attempt at couching advice in praise, but to use the criticism sandwich metaphor, this was a big chunk of meat resting on a single soggy heel slice of bread.
>>
>>9425955
>kit is decent
>remove that one modern tag to make it better
>"backhanded compliment"
Are you autistic?
>>
>>9426040
>>All that costume work and couldn't be assed to removed the logo from their boots.
Less autistic than you, apparently, since I at least can read.
>>
File: 20170407_155454.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170407_155454.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>9425650
>>9425657
>>9425615
For some reason, we have a box of crayons in the research library.
>>
>>9426064
It's... it's beautiful.
>>
>>9425468
YES.

>>9425685
At least you're getting pics from your events.

>>9425952
NO.

>>9425955
>>9426055
I will fully admit that it was meant to shame him. His kit is getting good, especially for the obscure setting he was portraying. When you get good(tm), you get held to a higher standard.

Why don't you post your kit?

>>9426070
I try.
>>
>>9425955
> I get why someone with shitty social skills could see it as an attempt at couching advice in praise,
And there goes your part of being constructive and giving your opinion, and turning it into a bitchy little post.
Look back at your own post as if it was meant for you and try to take your own message.
>>
>>9426064
>The box of salt
Lost: Two sides.
Contact anon if found.
>>
>>9425473
Pls help
>>
>>9426064
Thats our Gropalope <3
>>
>>9426086
>His kit is getting good, especially for the obscure setting he was portraying. When you get good(tm), you get held to a higher standard.
/discussion
>>
>>9426064
Mother of God!
>>
File: 1486195301118.jpg (22KB, 540x404px) Image search: [Google]
1486195301118.jpg
22KB, 540x404px
>>9425685
>tfw only complete group photo was taken by a guy who didnt use the focus function and posted it to facebook through mobile upload
>tfw an actual photogtapher came by once but gave up since he didnt want to process and filter 1000 photos for upload that everyone requested

Im gonna break the immersion rule next event and just take every god damn photo the people deserve here.

I think your kit looks like it deserves a good shot from what I can tell.
>>
I'm about to move to a different state and join a different larp. I'm going to sell some stuff to them and they are pretty large.

I have some questions about larping demographics so:
> What percent of people in your larp/dag group would fit in XL+ clothes?
> What percentage of your group is female or dresses feminine?
> What percentage of your group purchase larp stuff as opposed to making it for themselves?
> what percentage dress in a bardic (more colorful and odd) manner?
>>
>>9426298
if those are too many questions for you then here is just one:
What do you wish was being physically sold at your larp and how much would you reasonably buy it at?
>>
>>9426064
You are a pure soul
>>
>>9426064
I'm genuinely surprised by your artistic talent.

Saved
>>
>>9426298
Dont know if my answers will matter since Im in the EU

>> What percent of people in your larp/dag group would fit in XL+ clothes?
Few. Most are either kids or broke students/social rejects who cant afford to larp and eat at the same time.
>> What percentage of your group is female or dresses feminine?
5%, but main larp event is close to 50%
>> What percentage of your group purchase larp stuff as opposed to making it for themselves?
100% have purchased stuff. 20% make a lot of stuff and 50% have done something by themselves before.
>> what percentage dress in a bardic (more colorful and odd) manner?
Very few, and they also make their stuff by themselves.

desu, just go there and set up a stand. You wont sell much unless people come there for the market, you cant really profit from selling larp stuff and its typically just better to sell stuff on facebook than showing up at events and physically wait for a buyer to come by.
>>
>>9426364
Dunno if you're joking, but Gropes does a bunch of art stuff like painting and sculpture and shit.
>>
Gropey and HLF are my OTP.

A question:
Were parrying bracers a thing? Are they useful in civilized duels? Got any resources about techniques with them and such?
>>
>>9426588
>parrying bracer
I don't know what this is and google's got nothing. I'm just going to assume you mean having a bracer on your off hand and no other armor, right?
>civilized duel
Most duels were entirely unarmored by definition, so no. Use a buckler if you want your off hand in play.
There's a school of thought that bounces around the idea of using a gauntlet in place of a buckler, but there's no precedent.
>other settings
If you're wearing a bracer, why not just go whole hog and wear armor?
>>
>>9426592
Yes, pretty much what I meant. Bucklers are cool but I come from martial arts and would like to make use of forearm blocking and such.
+I think it'd look cool.
>>
>>9426480
I rarely have the chance to paint anymore, and havn't sculpted since school.

>>9426588
>>9426592
>>9426601
Never heard of one. In general, it sounds like a bad idea, as intentionally trying to use your forearm to block, armoured or not, sounds like a great way to get a broken arm. Shields and weapons help distribute energy over a wider, less direct area. I know I would never attempt it in bohurt.

Now, parrying gauntlets in later period for use against rapiers are a thing.
>>
>>9426605
I was thinking more about intercepting and parrying rather than outright blocking, but I suppose you've a point.
I know of Parrying Gauntlets, but I think it's a little nastier since it lets you outright grab an opponent's blade, rather than just blocking.

Are there any other cool 'sidearms' like the buckler, parrying dagger and cape?
>>
>>9426601
>>9426617
>intercepting and parrying rather than blocking
Anything designed to do the former should be expected to do the latter in a pinch.
>any other cool 'sidearms?'
Lantern shields? I'm skeptical about the possibility of someone actually strapping that to themselves in a fight, though.
There's also a single page in a messer manuscript that depicts these weird 'Hungarian Shields with spikes on the end.
If your game is in a setting/system that allows it, firearms or throwing knives can be useful to sneak in extra hits while you're both out of measure.
>>
>>9426649
Not 100% what I had in mind, since I'm going for a more classy character. But thank you anyway!
>>
>>9426064
This is f'n adorable.
>>
>>9426419
The people who run this larp group only have 4 big events a year and are always trying hard to get their market full of sellers. I'm going to be selling my stuff very cheap, including wood utensils /plates and bowls, warmer and cooler clothing options, in game camping stuff and arrows. I want to be the person that can sell them stuff that they forgot to bring or just didn't prepare to have but need. I love going to events with vendors, but they always sell shit super fucking expensive. I'm hoping that having the cheapest option they could find online in person will make them more tempted to buy.

I've been making making a lot of feminine clothing because I know there are more girls there than a normal group (mainly trans women and men who want to dress feminine). Because I'm amerifag I'm also anticipating a lot of fat/obese people. I've noticed people in america are either super skinny or super fat, so Im kind of fucked for sizing.

To avoid sizing problems I've been making a lot of loose clothing. This larp group isn't strict about time accurate materials so a lot of stuff has elastic bands and ties. I'll being selling them with a shit ton of belts and obi.

Tunics/pants/skirts range from 5-25 I'm not sure what would be too cheap or too expensive.
>>
>>9427145
Is this for dagorhir? What style of shop are you going for? 5-25usd is extremely cheap, and I wouldnt bother buying that as its probably thin cotton. You could sell wooden bowls/utensils for arround 10-15 though..

I would say stick to good construction, youll make more sales selling higher quality basic pieces than you would selling shitty garb that breaks after one event.
>>
>>9426086
Why don't you post your kit?

Lack of good pictures, mainly. The same issue others were talking about earlier, not having a photographer at events, etc. At any rate, I know my kit is pretty basic and not meriting much comment.
>>
File: 1453407485438.jpg (64KB, 611x441px) Image search: [Google]
1453407485438.jpg
64KB, 611x441px
>>9427145
>>9427217
Accessories and stuff are better to sell since you don't have to accommodate for different gender(s) and sizes and there are lots of people who usually lack something in their inventory. You cant attend an event without basic clothes but not having a belt bag doesn't stop you from attending.

I think good headwear is something that really lacks in larp shops. Food utensils, musical instruments, bags and tools are usually found in plenty.

The hat in pic related is something that I haven't seen being sold anywhere or any pattern available online, as an example. Yet it looks pretty easy to make.
>>
File: shoulder_cloak.jpg (37KB, 450x600px)
shoulder_cloak.jpg
37KB, 450x600px
Noob question, is there a specific name for this style of cloak that's fastened at the shoulder rather than the neck? Or is it the same cut just being worn differently? My googlefu has turned up nothing.
>>
>>9425417
>>9425433
>>9425446
>>9425483
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm gonna respond in one post since it's easier.

I'll likely go the shieldwall route, since cheap swords are easy to get, plus shields are relatively easy to make for a construction nerd like me. Plus I can make a few uniform shields without paying a shittonne. I'd probably just either make these myself, or teach others how to make them, and charge only for materials to keep it cheap.

I'm gonna take the advice of brigandine or gambeson plus helmet. Gambesons might be a little tough to get, but there are usually a few cheap ones floating around. We'd probably accumulate those over time. The helmet I think I'll go for either spagenhelms or chainmaille coifs. Probably the latter, since I have a tonne of links lying around people could make theirs from. My larp actually puts a lot of stock in armour, so even just helmets would put them ahead of other noobs. I also really like the idea of a bunch of people walking in lockstep while their chainmalle jingles. A group at my larp runs in unison with some really heavy boots, and it's intimidating as hell.

Anyway, thanks all for the info. I'm still in the planning stage, so I've got a lot to chew over now.

This may not even end up happening, since it's very dependent on numbers (mostly friends who have looked at my larp from a distance, and said they're really interested and would love to join en masse, but may also not enjoy their first few sessions enough to commit that much).

Now that I'm aware of what would happen historically, I'm going to sacrifice or substitute quite a bit of it to try and keep the price as low as possible.

Ideally:
>$25 for shield materials
><$20 for chainmaille coif materials
>Potentially buy gambos in a group if there's interest

If we had a making day with a half a dozen people, we could easily nut out a few shields and coifs, and likely even get the materials even cheaper.
>>
>>9427582
How do you make your shields?

Open question to anyone really. Tried of my duct tape, want to make a nice latex/pastidip one
>>
>>9427601
I'm only just starting to get into it, and still trying different construction methods, but the best one so far:
>Cut piece of 12mm thick plywood into round circle, with a small circle cut in the middle
>Place handle on the "back" of the shield, and either glue or rivet it on
>Using a shield boss (I used a small cake pan because I'm cheap) glue it using contact adhesive to the front, over the little circle you cut, then rivet it on as well. The rivets and glue together is hella strong (gotta drill holes before applying adhesive or rivets though)
>Surround outside with cut up garden hose; I used a spray on contact adhesive for this
>Surround the outside with pipe insulation thick enough that you can't feel anything sharp or corners when you press down
>Again, contact adhesive is your friend

You also paint it when it's just a cut piece of wood, before you attack anything.

So far works quite well and makes a pretty safe shield. Sounds like a lot of adhesive, but it works out to be less than you'd expect. Makes a punch shield pretty cheaply.

I'm trying a different method in the next few days though. No idea how it'll go, and it'll be a lot less hardy. The plan is:
>Construct small handle from wood
>Cut larger shield blank and paint
>Attach handle to the back with wood glue, and add in supports for it with more wood glue
>Ring with rawhide
>Put on pipe insulation over rawhide

This one relies even more heavily on glue, but since I'm a total nerd I have some pretty strong shit lying around. I'm excited to see how it holds up to repeated stresses.

Ymmv on those two designs; my larp is a little weird on it's restrictions on shields. I also rely on adhesives more than I should, but I figure since it's a LARP I can sacrifice realism for a better end product with less expense for tools.

Grumio's shield tutorial on youtube is a really good one as well.

I'm not sure how to make a latex one; most of mine are wood.
>>
>>9427493
That looks super cool.
I want to know .
>>
>>9427493
>>9427612
Dont have the name confirmed, but its practically called a swordsman type of cloak since the design lets you throw the cloak over your shoulder in one movement with one arm while you draw your sword with the other arm.

People didnt have classifications and names for everything back then, they would just say "Cloak", but we can call it "Shoulder Cloak" or "Swordsman Cloak".
>>
>>9427608
You dont need to glue a shield boss down with adhesive if you are gonna bolt/rivet it down afterwards.

If anything, it just makes it harder to be removed later on.
>>
>>9427493
>>9427816
Anon, is right- the correct period term is "cloak".

It's probably not a coincidence that Anglo-Saxon and Viking men almost always wore their cloaks pinned at the shoulder, whereas women did use cloaks pinned at the neck some of the time. This hold true even for men who would never pick up a sword, but you can see how the fashion would get started.

It's the same rectangle of wool either way, the only difference is where you pinn it. Although they do have tendency to migrate from the shoulder to the neck with all the bouncing around combat entails.

>>9427608
My experience with shield-making is reenactment based (local larps don't like wood and metal shields so it was the one bit of armour I had to replace for my first forays into larp)

12mm is way too thick, they will be far too heavy and tiring to use properly at a larp. 9mm is plenty, but you could go down to 6mm since the only thing hitting them will be foam.

A layer of canvas on the front gives extra strength, prevents splinters and gives a nice surface to paint on. Leather works better than rawhide, especially since you are covering it in foam anyway as it is far easier to work with.
>>
>>9427818
Yeah, I'm aware of that now. But I used cheap rivets, and just enough glue left, so meh. Plus, the "boss" I was using was about a dollar, so I wasn't stressed.

I'm excited for my next shield, since it doesn't have a boss. I don't really like working with them that much, to be honest.

>>9427850
I see where you're coming from with those points, but the shape and size of the shield definitely impacts the wood thickness. I'm a pretty big guy, and my shield was pretty small, so 12mm was fine for that. If you're big enough to carry it reliably, heavier is really nice, since arrows and stuff don't "spin" the shield at all. Also, in more combat heavy larps, a heavier shield is a lot more durable, and very nice. 7-12mm is the range I usually try to stay in. I wouldn't go down to 6 personally, since with the amount of hits I take, it would be constantly spinning, and might even crack. For a smaller person, or a much larger shield though, 6 would be interesting.

The layer of canvas is a good idea. I'm slowly experiementing with that now; up until now I put a few coats of paint over it. I like the idea of a shield cover too; that's my next plan, coincidentally.

I'll try the leather instead of the rawhide, actually. My main reason for using it was that the edge of the wood might slowly grind away at the foam and break at a bad moment. If leather is easier to work with, I'll go with that. What about something like vinyl? I have a shitload lying around at the moment, and I'd love to use that if it'll work.

I should mention I am from a combat heavy larp, so kinda a different direction to reenactment. Interesting to see how our ideas of a solid shield are a little different.
>>
>>9427867
Fair enough. I am not a big guy at all, and my first shield was 12mm. It was (is) usable and I could still zip about the battlefield, the problem was that it was very taxing to use for an extended period. There comes a point where your arm just doesn't want to play any more, and that is problematic since round shields want a very dynamic fighting style to block and bind with. I'm much happier with it's 9mm replacement and both are medium-largish in size.

9mm is plenty strong to resist blunt steel combat while being light enough to use for extended periods (it's also in the typical historical range for Viking shields but that is another matter). I can't see it getting damaged in a larp beyond maybe a few dents easily patched with woodfiller and a swatch of canvas unless someone heavy sits on it. I agree that 6mm is getting quite flimsy, but that's less of an issue in a larp and I've seen 7mm shields survive multiple seasons of steel fighting.

I can see the attraction of a heavier shield to resist knocks and that won't be opened up, although usually that's because despite being 9-11mm the shield in question is the size of a barn door. A small yet heavy shield to me seems like the disadvantages of both with few of the pluses. If you are burly enough to use one without issue and don't mind that you could wield a larger shield for much the same weight then there's no problem.

I've never used vinyl for obvious reasons, but if it work it works. Trust me though, rawhide is a nightmare to work and leather is much better in every way.

How brutal are your games getting that you fear for the survival of your shields?
>>
>>9422673
>I am thankful to be in the kingdom that tries and enforces standards...
Now I am suddenly really nervous about my local shire. I am preparing for my first event and I really want it to be mostly up to par with the Kingdom which seems to have decent acclaim. That said it is really small and I heard that most casual meets are not in garb so I wonder.

How close do new members have to schmooze with their local chapter in SCA? I assume it would be in bad taste to not attend local events if you aren't thrilled with the group.
>>
>>9427404
I've been making a lot of winter style hoods with fake fur trim (im sure there will be vegans at a plenty so I'm saving real fur for my garb only). I could totally make that hat on the spot.

It isn't dag, and they aren't very strict about full garb emersion and a lot of people just use scrubs or oversized cut T-shirts as garb for their first event. I'm selling the cheap garb for them alone. I'm also trying to sell clothes to the people who run the event as I make a lot of odd things.

The only reason my stuff is cheap is because I buy fabric from thrift stores for 1/4 the price. I layer the fabric and want to encourage people to buy a lot of cheap clothes so they can learn how to layer garb to look nice.

I can work in wood, but not metal ... so the only headgear I could make would be with black leather I'm too afraid to use and fuck up or with all the eva foam I have ...
>>
>>9428576
>there will be vegans
>caring about triggering insufferable activists
shiggy. If anyone tried some knowingly destructive shit with my clothing, I am legally entitled to respond with violent force in my state.

I and lots of other people in the subculture would prefer real fur and pay extra. In fact I personally never buy fake fur on anything, especially for garb.
>>
>>9428576
>>9428596
I think the most positive thing about nordic larps that I attend to is that people are to autistic about staying in character to go full activist mode.

By the way, when you buy fabrics from thrift stores, do you exclusively use linen and wool products or just take whatever?
I know the standards in the US are low but I wouldn't start a business with hand made products if the materials aren't right since its the labor that takes up the bulk of the productions costs.

You should also post some pics for reference.
>>
>>9428606
My motto has always been "begin as you mean to go on" so personally I would stick with at least natural fibers and fabrics if you business is primarily period work.

FYI the cotton debate is overrated, even the more adamant types admit cotton is a grey area and considering how cheap and plentiful it is.

Either way I would advise against synthetics, there are plenty of cheap synthetic options out there already and I (and the hard-liners) wouldn't take a merchant seriously if they lowered their craft to using synthetics.
>>
>>9427601
I used http://www.yeoldegaffers.com/project_shield.asp as a baseline to make a kite shield. Added steps to make it Amerilarp-safe, the obvious foam around the edges and such (and even then, some people got salty that I had used wood rather than foam and had bolt-heads showing on the front--mostly the same people who think Calimacil weapons are "dangerous"). The larpers I know who aren't faggots, though, generally love it.
>>
File: 1484803505956.jpg (400KB, 2000x1439px) Image search: [Google]
1484803505956.jpg
400KB, 2000x1439px
>>9428612
Cotton depends a lot on the fabric production method, and if its reused from modern clothing then it will have a 90% chance to be shit.

I have several clothing pieces in cotton myself, so I'm not going to argue against the use of it, but I wouldn't put down the effort on making period clothing myself with cotton fabrics since it lowers the value of the garb significantly here. Selling a cotton tunic second hand will probably give you the current material value or less back, while a linen or wool tunic can typically be sold at a few bucks profit or more if the material cost has increased since you made it (and with more buyers ready to throw money at you).

Fabrics with synthetic materials aren't okay in my presence, with the exception of highly detailed and mixed material fabrics that you need for high status costumes.
>>
>>9428576
I like the fact you have a demographic group. good call man!
>>
>>9428631
I pretty much agree. I just wanted to give a counter opinion to the fear of cotton fabric some period crafters have, it can be a really cheap and plentiful way to hone your craft until you feel ready to splurge on expensive linens, wools, and silks.

I agree on value retention. Good linen just seems to get pricier and rarer every year and wool and silk are easier to find but the weaves are always iffy.
>>
File: Shiggy.jpg (68KB, 480x815px)
Shiggy.jpg
68KB, 480x815px
So on a real note, I'm getting max tax return soon. I've been dropping alot of Dosh on my current kit which draws inspiration from the "red priests cult" from GOT, and from norse/9th century kits.

BUT i saw this today, and I think my tax return needs to go twards this.

Is there anyone competent enough to make such a kit?
>>
>>9428638
>>
>>9428638
>>9428639
Good taste desu

Look for someone who does high level commissions. Either an experienced landsknecht tailor or someone who does a lot of advanced costumes.
>>
>>9428637
Yeah but good larping cotton fabrics runs for about the same price as linnen, unless you get fucked by local pricing differences, which seems to be a common issue for linnen and wool fabrics.

Just make one or two mock up models first with the cheapest fabric you can find then go up to basic fabrics in the proper material, and when you feel 100% with the sewing routine you can start using more expensive options.
>>
>>9428761
I dunno about you but good linen is usually much more expensive than good cotton by at least 25-50%. Also linen has its own issues when it comes to proper thread and how badly it tends to shrink.
>>
>>9426121

I got nothing, man, only that Thessa girls are drop dead gorgeous.
>>
>>9426289
>>9425705
>>9425751

Thanks guys, here's another Atom Ant level picture. (The pictures are bigger, of course, but I'd hate to post other people unknowingly)
>>
File: make%209783938922170_0[1].jpg (2MB, 1625x2338px) Image search: [Google]
make%209783938922170_0[1].jpg
2MB, 1625x2338px
>>9427404
>or any pattern available online

This book has it, anon, case you're interested. Also plenty of others.
>>
>>9428839
Ive only rarely seen ones that are nice to look at.
At least I found shop with EU armies surplus.
>>
>>9428839
Seriously tho, not much to look at.
My taste is more nordic, and tel-aviv girls look better.
>>
>>9429030

Not gonna lie, I was hyperboling because I happen to like one girl who lives there.
>>
>>9428638
>Is there anyone competent enough to make such a kit?
well, someone made that kit, so yes.

>>9428767
lately one of my culture shock was that in some places 100% linen is cost nearly as much as 100% wool. So it depends on the country I guess
>>
Why are we on /cgl/ rather than /tg/?
>>
>>9429064
Make a larpthread on /tg/ and see for yourself.
>>
>>9429064
cgl is slow so the thread won't die as fast. on /tg/ the thread would have less then 24 hours
>>
meanwhile, last week...
>>
>>
I'm on this pic.
>>
>>9429136
>>9429137
>>9429142
Holy fuck that looks rad. Event, location?
>>
>>9429142
What's the prize for guessing who you are?
>>
>>9429236
It was "Celle-ci dura cent ans" An annual event in France, Crisolles. All your stuff must be historically between 1380/1415 to have the right to participate, the guests come from europe.

>>9429266
Nothing, i just said that, because the topic is "show your kit".
>>
File: do yu feer deth.jpg (50KB, 605x780px) Image search: [Google]
do yu feer deth.jpg
50KB, 605x780px
>mfw seeing a larp with armies that actually have some level of uniformity

I wish my game could get players to cooperate just a little, but everyone's too wrapped up in being a special snowflake. The closest we had was a bunch of Dagorhir players who all wore the same black leather gear, but they left about a year ago.
>>
>>9429352
I saw this in a post apoc game I went to
A crew of what was basically the mob but had the front of being a "Old world tech reclamation" crew
Their outfits weren't all completely matching, but the branding was top notch. Yellow patches with their logo everywhere, including their camp area.
>>
>>9429142
Easy

You are the kettlefag on the ground
>>
>>9429064
Try getting a fa/tg/uy in to a costume and armor and see how that goes.
>>
>>9429728
That being said, in the span of 1 cgl LARP thread, there are 27 tg threads
>>
>>9429733

Mostly full of people bitching at larpers for being larpers and to get off their board.
>>
>>9429728
you do know that larpthreads are originally from /tg/, right?
>>
>>9429878
Why tho?
>>
These threads are always exclusively full of medieval/knight/history and at times post-apo larp convo and pictures, which gets boring quite fast.

Do you go to larps of other genre's how often? Low/high fantasy, modern, victorian, series based?
I crave for kit inspo for literally anything else than armor...
>>
>>9430013
>Low/high fantasy

Are generally centered around the medievals and knights too, tho.
>>
>>9430013
a roughly a month from now I will go to a fallout larp, so I have to dust off my postapoc stuff and make it dirty and put more trash on it
>>
>>9430010
Who knows why grognards dislike anything, anon?

>>9430013
>modern
I'd be down for an airsoft larp. Not even kidding. The problem is not many people are, for some reason. Also haven't seen many ol' timey muskets for airsoft, and most people don't have the patience to make them out of Nerf.
>>
>>9430037
Pics

>>9430013
I fucking wish, all the folks who actually make large scale larps are maximum tolkin fags.
Not that thats bad but other than one larp all the big ones here are medi. fantasy.

>>9430059
Its do easy to make nerf muskets.
Cheaper and stronger then normal nerfguns too.
Pvc tubes and a small pump.
Fuck i can make dystopian doom trooper kit super easy.
I want more varied settings.

Im gonna make a shadowrun-like larp with blackjack and hookers.

Gonna call it after a song I like, it will have a totalitarian gov't faction, civilian/rebel (if they wish to take arms) faction, bourgeoisie faction.
Now i just need an old military base or an abandoned built up space for it.
Gov't gonna be npcs probably, bourge are players and their guards (very limited in size), civies are going to be a lot but tge most heavily regulated. Gonna have to find a way to make nerfs stealable since they are pricy and its really shitty to have something that you own stolen in time.

Perhaps buying lots of cheap ones and making a pool of tokens that can be traded in a black market kind of dealer for guns...
>>
>>9430013
I would really like to play in a straight sci-fi larp sometime. If I can't find one, maybe I'll just make my own. I've got a bunch of larp ideas half-formed on my computer, if I can get some experience running one with one of the easier settings like fantasy or post-apoc, I don't see why I couldn't try sci-fi next.
>>
>>9430232
not much of a pic, as I didn't really put it together. I just have a base of a MiG high altitude suit that I fooled around a little but I didn't put real work in it so far
>>
>>9430501
That's still better than average.
Where did you get a mig suit?
>>
>>9430553
it's Eastern Europe, you can get old soviet surplus stuff everywhere. The only problem is that others want to buy shit like this too so you have to be fast
>>
>>9430567
Flight suits suck. So annoying.

The bladders in them keep you conscious at highspeeds and altitudes by pushing blood back into your brain.
>>
>>9430625
only if you have the necesseary machines to work it, otherwise it won't do jackshit. It needs pressurized air to do that, so it's not a problem on a larp.
The only problem I have that it is at least one size smaller than me or two. On the other hand it fits the image of salvaged shit
>>
>>9429894
Not until now, but Im not surprised since there are a lot of common cultural traits.

But you cant deny that the separation increased their bmi per post average.
>>
>>9430898
I don't have the superpower of knowing people's bodytype solely based on posts that they write on a mongolian throat singing forum.

Anyway at first it was a /tg/ thing then it happened on /tg/ and /cgl/ too with little field trip threads. Now it's mostly /cgl/ and sometimes on /tg/.
The change is because firstly /tg/ got faster, more posts, more threads and not enough people who post in larp threads (or at least not anytime, it's really depends on the timezones) /tg/ got bigger but the larp community there isn't.
/cgl/ is a slow board on the otherhand so even if there is one post every three days the thread still survives.

Anyway there were times when people wanted to chase away larp threads to /asp/ or /ou/ and I shit you not, even to /k/
>>
>>9430013
Occasional Regency!
>>
Also gave my Larp Crossbow some TLC as it was looking rather tired. New stain and oiled the mechanism.
>>
File: 1468006645488.jpg (259KB, 800x745px) Image search: [Google]
1468006645488.jpg
259KB, 800x745px
Tomorrow a larp week begins.
Should i shield and flail or rock muh darius for shield breaking purposes?
I didn't set my abilities yet, but im a frontliner.
>>
>>9431798
Go big or go home
>>
First Empire main event of the year in just over a week. Will be picking up my new shield, will drop pics when I get it.

>>9431975
Are you going to E1?
>>
File: wool flower.jpg (67KB, 250x250px)
wool flower.jpg
67KB, 250x250px
>>9427234
>Lack of good pictures, mainly.

The struggle for all of us.

>I know my kit is pretty basic and not meriting much comment.

Basic does not mean bad. Even a bathroom selfy is cool bro.

>>9427404
>I think good headwear is something that really lacks in larp.

Fix'd for you. Even if you have good hats cheap, most people wont wear them.

>>9428517
>Now I am suddenly really nervous about my local shire. I am preparing for my first event and I really want it to be mostly up to par with the Kingdom which seems to have decent acclaim. That said it is really small and I heard that most casual meets are not in garb so I wonder.

10 foot rule. A tunic, plain shoes and pajama pants are totally fine.

>How close do new members have to schmooze with their local chapter in SCA? I assume it would be in bad taste to not attend local events if you aren't thrilled with the group.

Fuck that noise. Play with who you want. I hated my local group in New Orleans, and was much happier driving to Gulf Port to play with the folks there. Different groups have different dynamics. Find who you click with.

>>9428576
>im sure there will be vegans at a plenty so I'm saving real fur for my garb only

Well, what are you going to do about all the leather cord and belts and straps?

Seriously, if you were to pull out the stops and use real fur, then you would be fucking awesome. Screw the vegans.

>>9428606
>>9428612
>>9428631
Cotton is fine for larps and new folks. Cotton did exist in Europe, being mostly a middle eastern and Indian produced luxury fabric, and is much more readily available in the US. Pic related, a common name for wool was "wool flower"

Now, if you're going for living history, thats another story.

>>9428612
>I would advise against synthetics

This is non negotiable. Fuck wearing plastic.

>>9429048
>lately one of my culture shock was that in some places 100% linen is cost nearly as much as 100% wool.

'MURRICA. Life is pain.
>>
File: grooming tool.jpg (24KB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
grooming tool.jpg
24KB, 426x240px
Pic unrelated, but a new repro 15thC grooming tool for my living history kit.

>>9429064
>>9429878
>>9429894
Because "Larp isn't /tg/" now, apparently.

>>9429136
>>9429142
>>9429308
Nice. Not a buhurt, at least I assume with that warhammer and open visors.

>>9429728
Like me?

>>9430013
Georgian/Colonial. I posted pics from a beast of gevaudan themed 18thC larp earlier in this very thread.

>>9431574
See, this looks excellent.
>>
File: Dope shield.jpg (52KB, 381x780px) Image search: [Google]
Dope shield.jpg
52KB, 381x780px
>>9430635
Yes obviously it needs something to fill the bladders. I didn't think I needed to state that, Common sense and all.
>>
File: Boots1.jpg (201KB, 720x960px)
Boots1.jpg
201KB, 720x960px
Oh, Also just got my hands on some period footwear!
>>
File: Boots2.jpg (84KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Boots2.jpg
84KB, 540x960px
>>9432217
>>
>>9428865
Could you perhaps give me a shot of that patterns description page, if you have it?

I just recently bought a headwear pattern book hoping it would have it, but it didn't, and now I don't have the time or budget to make another order. Really bummed me out, and the seller also forgot to specify that that book came without a pattern paper.

>>9432217
>>9432221
Neat
>>
>>9429064
Fa/tg/uys hate the concept that someone somewhere might be proud of something they've accomplished.

They also sperg harder about tripfags than any other board, and that shit's our lifeblood.
>>
>>9432217
>>9432221
That looks legitimately comfortable to wear. Nice.
>>
File: clothes.jpg (649KB, 947x1600px)
clothes.jpg
649KB, 947x1600px
Really really really simple larp kit, got a lot of stuff but this is just an easy one, linen tunic, belt( was quite expensive), mace was 20 euros, got it from a facebook page, and the gloves and belt purse was also 20 euro from a facebook page.
>>
>>9432256

Can do, actually. I'll post it on here as soon as I can.

Mind, if you're interested at some point in the books of this series (basic garments for men, basic garments for women, headwear and footwear are available, iirc), these come without pattern paper too. And there's some measurements which are quesionable (like a doublet pictured with normal shoulders, but the pattern uses the size for poofy/pleated shoulders), but it's pretty good if you know your way around basic tailoring.
>>
File: BSD-CF01.jpg (390KB, 591x720px)
BSD-CF01.jpg
390KB, 591x720px
>>9432646
Headwear will be added later!
probably a simple linen cap
>>
>>9432646
Total cost was around 110 euros.
>>
>>9432646
seems comfy
Why not take a shield though?
>>
>>9432688
planning to get a shield soon, mace only is horrible! haha
>>
>>9432151
...What exactly is that thing for?
>>
>>9432711
Looks like a combo earspoon and tooth/nail pick.
>>
>>9432740
is ugly whatever it is.
>>
>>9432411
Not all the time, but lately, yes.

>>9432646
Not bad. What do you have for shoes and pants?

>>9432711
See >>9432740

>>9432740
Correct

>>9433167
Also correct, but its accurate and most grooming tools are practical over good looking
>>
File: IMG-20170414-WA0003.jpg (165KB, 898x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170414-WA0003.jpg
165KB, 898x1600px
Since we don't have enough WiP's in here...
First home-made piece of clothing, most of it is handsewn, and it's made of 100% wool. It's not perfect yet, but I think it's pretty good looking for a blossoming LARP-fag.
>>
>>9433285
Haven't been here long, so I can't judge with maximum autism, but it looks breddy gud.
>>
Tell me about leg wraps. I bought a pair of pants thinking they'd be tight on me, kind of hose-like, but they're a little bigger than I expected and hang kind of like sweat pants. I've seen these 'leg wrap' things, and I think it might make my legs look better (more layers). Is the point of leg wraps to hold pants tighter, or are they just a fashion thing? I don't plan on buying any but if I can get some junk clothes of the right colour and cut them into strips, would those work if I somehow secured them?
>>
File: Winingas wrap.jpg (42KB, 564x587px)
Winingas wrap.jpg
42KB, 564x587px
>>9433355
You should buy a pair. They are called winingas.
they are wrapped arround the calf and in historical times aided with Warmth, and marching, almost like athletic wrap. There is a specific way to wrap them, but when used under the foot they actually provide arch support. You won't need any fasteners for Winingas though you can have some. Simply wrap them tight arround the calf and every full wrap, twist the band of fabric, in order to keep it Taught( alot of people don't know about that)

When all is said and done you have a better looking kit and support for your legs!

Pic related gives you an okay idea on how to wrap them. Ill post another picture of what it should look like.
>>
File: Winingas wrap proper.jpg (7KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
Winingas wrap proper.jpg
7KB, 240x180px
>>9433410
Notice how this wrap goes under and arround the foot. Thats what you want. When doing this you can make it so a portion of the fabric pokes out of the top of the winingas. Which is what you pull to adjust the support.
>>
>>9433355
But also no, Average linen or cotton cloth wouldnt work well. You want wool in like a herringbone, and you need long strips. I have 3 pairs and they are all atleast 11 feet long.

Theyre pretty cheap too
www.etsy.com/listing/168179432/winnegas-leg-wraps-100-wool-in-various
>>
File: Square cloak.jpg (71KB, 570x855px) Image search: [Google]
Square cloak.jpg
71KB, 570x855px
What do you guys think of this cloak i purchased?
Seemed a bit expensive, do you think 140 was worth it?
>>
>>9433410
To expand on anons point; you need quite a lot of fabric for puttees/winingas/legbindings, 3m per leg. It really is easier and possibly cheaper to just get a proper pair than making a scrappy set cannibalised from clothing.

They can also replace socks if you start by wrapping them under your foot and around your ankle before going up the leg. Very warm even in inclement weather. It's only a few years ago now that the Russian Army stopped issuing them in place of socks. You can always wear socks and then winingas if you are really worried about the snow.
>>
>>9433421
It looks good, although $140 does seem rather steep. Good colour and the wool looks to be fine quality.

The fur trim irks me, because it if you want fur on your cloak it would be as a lining (which can include a trim) that actually keeps you warm rather than a thin and useless decorative strip especially for something which is trying to be Viking. That is the bitter reenactor talking though, for larping it will look great.
>>
>>9425161
>MFW I was at that event
Your little tent and hookah was pretty baller. You're with O.R.C.S. right?
>>
>>9433421
If it was hand made in Europe/US, not mass produced or second hand, then 140 sounds good to me.

This anon got some good points about it >>9433432

Although practicality was preffered in designs, having a non practical detail is a sign of luxury. For me it fits in with wealthy characters.
>>
>>9433442
Yeah it was hand-made in Europe. the fur was either Wolf or coyote? I couldn't tell from the translation. I guess now that i think about it 140 doesnt seem to bad
>>
>>9432646
I actually really like this one. Seems simple, but still really well put together. I think the woolen cap will look great.
>>
>>9433410
So what eras are legwraps acceptable for? Do they stop being used past a certain point? They look tight as hell, but I'm planning out a fantasy 14th century character.

>>9433421
Fashionable as hell.
Though that fur trim is going to be hell in damp weather.

>>9432646
Please come to my game and show some of our older players how to layer
>>
>>9422267
Hey guys, I need to make some pouches to hang off my belt. I have a shitload of vinyl lying around, so I'm planing to use that.

One needs to be able to hold a relatively heavy book (quest item) and the others need to be able to hold several "spells", which are basically stress balls.

For the book one I'm thinking just a really standard sheathe to hang form my belt. I'm not sure about the fireballs though.

Anybody got any ideas or patterns? Medieval fantasy, so I don't need to be completely historically accurate.
>>
>>9432136
Thanks for the useful advice about the SCA. I am probably going to fine local, I am just stressing over the fact I want to attend Lillies and Pennsic this year and want to be properly prepared for the higher level of autism required fit in. I feel really shitty being so late in life to the game, I honestly think you guys are hiding your presence on purpose. I have been in the LARP, convention, Renfair, and living history scene for fucking ages and only heard about the SCA (50 fucking year old society) from word of mouth this year. There are children who grow up there I feel like I might get stuck as an "outsider".

>'MURRICA. Life is pain.
Could be worse, could be anywhere else. I guess Eastern Europe wouldn't be bad as far as freedom to larp and have access to cheap materials and competent labor, but then you have to deal with the crippling poverty, alcoholism, and corrupt officials occasionally confiscating everything you own (well, more often and with less pretense than here)

Australia used to be based but these days its on its way to full blown nanny state gommunism and No Fun Allowed laws so maybe SCA combat will be axed anytime.
>>
>>9433448

Well, Europe doesn't have coyotes, so if they used all local you can be pretty sure it's wolf. On the other hand, wolves are endangered/protected in most parts of Europe, so what do I know?
>>
File: serveimage[1].jpg (78KB, 610x800px)
serveimage[1].jpg
78KB, 610x800px
>>9433664
>>
File: viking kaftan.jpg (16KB, 236x376px)
viking kaftan.jpg
16KB, 236x376px
>>9433529
I haven't seen any texts which show 14th century clothing with them in. I think winingas were more anglo saxon/norse, or at least the most popular then. Similar type of garments can be traced back to as early as rome and saw use untill WW1, so it Wouldn't be out of place.

And i didn't think of that! I don't want to smell like wet dog when it rains!

>>9433677
Not sure if it was local fur, but she was from Belarus.
>>
>>9433234
Woolen hoses, going to search for shoes tomorrow at a medieval festival in germany
>>
>>9433830
>Belarus.

Chances are it's real wolf. Sounds baller.
>>
>>9433872
As cool as that is, it's almost a bit sad knowing such an alpha predator was killed just to make me look layered as hell.
>>
>>9433916
>alpha predator
>not filthy scavenging bastard
Come on man, wolves being some noble animal rather than cowardice packhunting bastards that form a minor nuissance to civilization is a meme that needs to die.
>>
>>9433919
They're pretty rare In America, and even more so in my region. I would agree on that about coyotes though.
>>
File: random.jpg (106KB, 564x849px)
random.jpg
106KB, 564x849px
New thread here! I'll be gone later doing normal shit so here's the thread a bit early!

>>9433935
>>9433935
>>9433935
Thread posts: 309
Thread images: 92

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.