[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Handmade Lolita Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 103

File: IMAG0355.jpg (920KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0355.jpg
920KB, 1836x3264px
Making your own Lolita for poor people.
Share patterns, give advice, see some stuff.

Made this last night, was wondering what people thought about sewing pearls to it. I have a couple strands of freshwater pearls and want to use them for something.
>>
File: Burn-it.gif (236KB, 500x296px) Image search: [Google]
Burn-it.gif
236KB, 500x296px
>>9421953
>>
>>9421953

Wow, what time zone are you in?
>>
>>9421953
Unfortunately OP, >>9421962
is right. The colors you chose for this look horrible and the white contrast thread is a confusing choice. The tailoring looks poorly done as well, though that's hard to tell in a picture of this quality. If you want to make a dress with an empire waist, a pleated skirt, and bishop sleeves that's fine, but learn a little more about tailoring and color theory first, as well as specifics about obtaining the two classic lolita skirt shapes (bell and A-line). I don't think this would have made a proper a-line.
http://lifehacker.com/learn-the-basics-of-color-theory-to-know-what-looks-goo-1608972072
>>
That's badly designed, not lolita, and poorly made as well. Good. It's a learning experience. Hold on to the pearls and use them for something better.
>>
File: il_570xN.458034527_n8fd.jpg (104KB, 570x665px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.458034527_n8fd.jpg
104KB, 570x665px
Hmm. Is it a first attempt op?

If you want to practice lolita. I personally recommend trying a shirt rather then an op. A simple lolita skirt with a gathered waist band would be a good basic project. Harajuku doll has some really cute fabric that's appropriate for lolita.
>>
File: IMAG0356 b.jpg (297KB, 996x1861px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0356 b.jpg
297KB, 996x1861px
Picture of me wearing it, instead of just on a hanger on the door. Excuse the bare legs, I just rolled out of bed.

>>9421963
CST. I did it in like two hours, with some fabric I found in a box in the closet.
>>9421968
Thanks for the advice, but is there nothing i can do to save it? If It cant be saved in its current form, what would you recommend turning it into? Also, it's not really white thread, it's lavender, but the shitty picture quality fucked me over.
>>
>>9421953
great use of intro text, anon.
>>
>>9421995
It's a good shape and is a flattering cut, but that light colored thread is super distracting and looks odd. I'd either rip it out and resew it or maybe sew some dark lace over it to hide it. The sleeves are kinda funky looking, like they're way too big. Maybe shorten them a bit and a little less poof?
>>
File: oh-no.gif (1MB, 294x233px) Image search: [Google]
oh-no.gif
1MB, 294x233px
>>9421953
>>9421995
>mfw realizing this isn't bait
>>
Nothing about this dress is lolita, sorry OP.
>>
>>9421953
The main issue is that it just doesn't quite look like Lolta. This looks a lot more like it's based on 1960s retro. The skirt doesn't look quite the right shape for Lolita.
>>
Anyway, while there is a thread for it, I was thinking about making a top like pic related. Chiffon is a bitch I know but it seems like a basic peasant blouse so maybe it wouldn't be too bad. Also, has anyone made a blouse out of nylon chiffon before? Is it any different/warmer than poly? It doesn't fray so it might be easier to work with but I'm planning on wearing it in June and I don't want to overheat. Don't know what to do about the hime sleeves either but they're not necessary.
>>
>>9421953
Is that a schmendrick cosplay?
>>
File: IMG_2803.png (226KB, 420x236px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2803.png
226KB, 420x236px
>>9421995
Turn it into this instead!
>>
>>9422017
I find chiffon not that difficult, just use a thin and sharp needle and a very small serger seam. haven't ever heard of nylon chiffon though, so can't tell you much about it. is it like that non-see-through stuff that some chinese brands use for blouses?
>>
>>9421953
April fool's was 3 days ago, nice try though
>>
>>9421995
Cover the weird thread with trim and it will make a decent normie dress. Go back to the drawing board and do more research if you want to make lolita clothing.
>>
>>9422039
I've seen it used for kids' petticoat tutorials. Apparently it's a knit and stretches a little. Never seen it in stores but fabric.com has some. The only clothing I can find made from it is vintage roomwear and underwear though. I don't have a serger either though my machine has an overlock stitch that would probably work fine.
>>
>>9421995
lose some weight
>>
>>9421995
I think you should cover the thread with some lace.
>>
>>9421995
Well if this is your first sewing project, hopefully you've learned a lot and can make a really cool outfit on your next try
>>
>>9422031
Underrated post
>>
>>9421986
>personally recommend trying a shirt rather than an op.
Just to clarify for OP-- try a SKIRT not a shirt. I don't think you should be attempting a Lolita shirt for quite some time.
>>
>>9422017
Nylon is usually more sheer and stretches. Polyester is opaque and can be washed outside of dry cleaning. I'd use poly-chiffon.
>>
>>9421995
hmm.... well I actually like the sleeves, but they are a bit to bright in color and a tad bit png but thats just because you made the cuffs a lil too big.
I would work on kuro pieces until you research a bit more. bodice looks ehhh, and skirt needs more poof. I'd also add more detail and work with blue or black thread and increase the hem allowance, but you did only work on it for 2 hours. freshwater pearls don't generally go with lolita, much less gothic unless they actually match.
>>
>>9421953
it looks amazing! much better than any angelic shitty or baby the farts shine bright! 10/10 anon do u have an etsy shop
>>
>>9422034
Even though i'm the butt of the joke, this is actually pretty funny.

>>9422660
no need to mock me. I'm aware it's not perfection incarnate, but you have to start somewhere you know.

>>9422652
Yeah, in hindsight black thread was obviously the better choice. I was planning on putting buttons on the cuffs so i could make it fit better, but maybe i'll scrap the whole sleeve and start over on that. I wanted to make sure i had a decent shape going before i went and added details. Can't build a house on a weak foundation.
>>
>>9421953
What op are you basing this on OP? I'm asking because there's usually a larger skirt to Lolita. A rule of thumb is tripple your waist measurement for the fabric needed just for the skirt part.
>>
Any good jacket patterns? Maybe capelets?
>>
File: 010.jpg (771KB, 1275x1755px) Image search: [Google]
010.jpg
771KB, 1275x1755px
>>9422946
OnS 2 has a cute fur trimmed capelet. It's one of the ones with the full color photo tutorial too. OnS 5 has a hooded one. OnS 6 has another simple one, but without the hood. OnS 6 also has a really sweet short coat with heart pockets, and more toned down long coat. OnS 7 has a long coat, again a little sweeter.

There's probably more in the Gosuroris but that's a lot of stuff to flip through.
>>
File: coletteanise.png (202KB, 544x990px) Image search: [Google]
coletteanise.png
202KB, 544x990px
>>9422966
One more: I've had this bookmarked for a while as a possible loliable candidate: https://www.colettepatterns.com/catalog/anise
>>
File: 1385503745221.jpg (2MB, 4262x2547px) Image search: [Google]
1385503745221.jpg
2MB, 4262x2547px
>>9421953
>>9421953
oh anon, this isn't appropriate for Lolita at all, which is a shame because you've put work into it. Honestly, get rid of the black neck piece and use a navy thread throughout, swap the black fabric for more navy and you'll have a cute formal dress. The most basic Lolita pieces consist of a rectangular skirt and a bodice which sits just above the natural waist, there are a few tutorials for basic skirts and petticoats on youtube. Good luck anon.
Pic attached is something a blogger (?? I can't remember who orz) translated & enlarged from GLB,hope it helps somewhat
>>
File: oddcolorblock_jsk.jpg (103KB, 570x760px) Image search: [Google]
oddcolorblock_jsk.jpg
103KB, 570x760px
This is something handmade by a person on Etsy; I really love it though. What do you guys think of making dresses with this kind of color balance?
>>
>>9423368
original GLB version of the pattern btw
also as a rule of thumb I always use more fabric than I need for skirts; usually around 4.5 metres for a skirt. If it's too much, I can use the offcuts for accessories/ruffles/etc. - but it's ALWAYS better to have more fabric than you think you need.
>>
>>9423371

.......you're op aren't you. There can't be that many girls with such bad taste (sorry).

Dresses with solid bodice are quite common, you can find a few if you do a quick Google image search for "switching jsk" (because the fabric switches from one part of the dress to another).

The one you posted, though. The print starting further down the skirt kind of, uhh, no, it sucks and it's really fug. I seriously think you need to lurk more, and for God's sake use the main japanese Lolita brands for inspiration, not regretsy tier shit.

Good luck. Seems you need it.
>>
>>9423422
nah, can't be, construction is too different. otherwise we would contrasting colored seams.
>>
>>9423424
*we would see

my bad
>>
>>9423373
4,5 meters anon, that's a lot. how full are your skirts then? AP maximum poof monsters? mostly the rule of thumb is your waist x 3, but that doesn't really work when your waist is smaller than 70cm or so. maybe we should change that to waist x 4
>>
>>9423424
>>9423425

....shit you're right.

Brb going to cry over multiple anons having trouble taste.
>>
>>9423422
Dude, go sit on an iceberg and chill out that flaming swamp monster. Also, yes, I take inspration primarily from the Japanese brands, but to prevent stagnation it is also a good idea to keep an eye out for any "elements", even on badly-made indie stuff, that could be utilize in new designs for well-made Lolita main pieces.
And yes, I have seen that JSK before and many like it. I even own a few with that design choice.

>>9423424
This etsy person sadly does do contrasting seems on the hem; It's like with OP where it's 90% decent and then one prominent line across the bottom ruins it.

Defenses aside, perhaps it may look like fug but what about on an extremely curvy person? There are a lot of people who weigh under 130lb who look really fat in Lolita because their body shape is very curvy. Which is an element that I think also drives a lot of Itas to play with corsets, even though it looks so bad; because perhaps they are trying to define their thinnest point to then even out other proportions?
>>
>>9423426
Poof monsters! I'll usually stick with about 3.5, but I like to be safe ;;
>>
>>9423436

Make whatever you want, anon. It's not me that has to wear that shit.
>>
File: 1477074516612.jpg (126KB, 492x492px) Image search: [Google]
1477074516612.jpg
126KB, 492x492px
>>9423436
>getting this flamed about people pointing out your taste is bad after you posted a 2 tacky dresses, one of which was your own
maybe 4chan isn't for you
>>
>>9423368
OP here. I'm going to follow your advice and drop the neck piece and swap the thread colors.

Also to those concerned
>>9423371
is not actually me. I don't run an etsy because I at least know my stuff is shit tier and wouldn't put myself on blast like that by pretending to be competent.
>>
>>9423422
>finally learned what switching means
>'at this point i'm too afraid to ask' the past 3 years

thanks anon
>>
>>9423373
Which GLB is this in? I've been trying to find the pattern for the dress but haven't had any luck
>>
>>9423422
>"switching jsk" (because the fabric switches from one part of the dress to another)
omg, I had always wondered what this meant but never asked, thank you for the trivia.

>>9423805
Same here, anon. Same here.
>>
>>9423436
>It's like with OP where it's 90% decent and then one prominent line across the bottom ruins it.

Lol, no. It's 0% decent. Ugly, poorly made and not even lolita.
>>
>>9423436
Show me a girl 130 lbs who looks fat in lolita.
>>
>>9423805
>>9424069

It's funnier when it's a bib or some tulle across the chest, AP quite often names them "Chest Switching jsk".

>>9423720

Sorry OP, it was meant as a joke. Genuinely wishing you well on your next sewing adventure.
>>
File: 1392141332385.png (785KB, 1216x1748px) Image search: [Google]
1392141332385.png
785KB, 1216x1748px
>>9423436
>There are a lot of people who weigh under 130lb who look really fat in Lolita because their body shape is very curvy.
That's why you dress for your body type, not just because it's cute dress
>>
>>9424097
I kind of do. I'm an inverted triangle and cupcakes sort of eliminate any sort of waist I have... but I love the poof. Just shy of 5'3" and ~133lb
>>
>>9424124
Whoever drew this really doesn't know how to draw different body types. Informative guide otherwise, though.
>>
That fugly blue "dress" is a joke right? Not lolita
>>
>>9424063
I just found it's in 42. Too bad they don't have drafting pages like in OnS/GosuRori. No one ever scans the pattern pages cause they're huge.
>>
>>9424276
Thanks! Damn that sucks they don't have drafting pages.. would a used copy even have the pattern pages? I'm assuming they'd be ripped out and used.
>>
>>9424402
It depends! Lots of Lolitas collect the GLBs and don't sew. Have you poked around much in the GosuRoris/OnS? The scans of those are around for quite a few issues. I just peeked through my scans, and didn't see anything with the sweetheart neckline though. I'd grab a western pattern with a sweetheart neck and make sure the waistline is high enough and stick a gathered rectangle skirt on it and be done with it.
>>
>>9424465
I have a few hundred scans saved up from Gosu and OnS, and the sweetheart neckline is what I was after. There used to be a video on yt of a girl making the dress but it was taken down [music copyright i think], I'll probably just end up frankstein'ing a pattern together but I always like checking out the actual lolita patterns, I always learn a little bit more from them ya know
>>
>>9424402
I have a copy of ons with the pattern sheet intact! I finish this semester of uni soon, so I'll trace them, scan them and translate the instructions. I'll do it individually 'cause the pattern sheets are usually all over the place orz keep a lookout in the next sewing thread if this one doesn't sage
>>
>>9424483
holy shit thank you anon! bless you
may you excel at all your end of semester exams
>>
File: 1430161148711.gif (988KB, 294x224px) Image search: [Google]
1430161148711.gif
988KB, 294x224px
>>9421953
>>9421995
apart from the construction, you have three different blues. They do not go together. Maybe you could dye the whole thing navy or something and that would cover the thread as well.
>>
File: IMG_0088.jpg (484KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0088.jpg
484KB, 1080x1920px
I've been working on this for over a year. Con/crit would be great.
Waist bow was acquired as an extra from a seller on LM and I would also like to know how I would go about reviving its crushed-ness if anyone has any tips on how to go about ironing it. Or should I steam it?
>bracing for onslaught of "burn it"
>>
>>9425366
at least get rid of the bow, unless you plan on dyeing it. it clashes too much
>>
>>9424118
>AP quite often names them "Chest Switching jsk".

That's because that is the term for this kind of clothing in Japanese (for normie fashion as well). It's less "look at that silly AP and their funny names" and more "maybe we should go with a less literal translation of this term that actually makes sense in English".
>>
>>9425366
Can you do a flat laid photo instead? It's hard to see what's going on with it all on hanger crooked. Tentatively, (and this is my opinion, so subjective) I really dislike the shiny lace on the top. I'd like to see a bigger lace on the hem as well.
>>
>>9425366
I'm agreeing with >>9425409 can you do a laid out picture of it. Maybe without such harsh focused light? It's really hard to tell what is going on with the construction when it has such heavy shadows and a poor angle. Can't give you concrit if you give us a photo that brings it down more then it already is.

All I can tell is the bow doesn't go with it at all unless it was dyed a matching color.
>>
>>9424124

I just find it ironic this chart doesn't have the low waist jsk, which is what etsy anon should be looking for.

Still a pretty good intro though. I get that the chart's trying to be pretty general and not get into too much nitpick territory.
>>
File: IMG_0091.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0091.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>9425409
>>9425420
Took bow away.
>>
>>9425484
You need more interest in the top part. Different lace on the hem since it's lacking a bit. Lace maybe around the dress straps and nicer lace on the area you have lace already. It looks really cheap considering the look your going for. Try looking at brand jsks to get a better understating how they add interest to the top without obstructing too much from the print. If you have fabric extra from this maybe make a waist now of the fabric and not some random fabric. Or use a checkered pink fabric like in the background and maybe put some cherries in the center bow to play on the cherries on the hem.
>>
>>9425484
>>9425366

The yellow lighting is really messing with things, though. I think the bottom border and lace are white, but is the neckline lace yellow? And the lace along the princess seams pink? idk.

Kudos on making the print work. Last time an anon tried it I think she got bogged down trying to make the syrup streams on the skirts line up with the bodice.
>>
>>9425484
Like >>9425495 said, the top part is kind of bland. Why not adding a placket in the center front, with some lace and why not some pleats on each side?
>>
>>9425484
Okay here is some constructive criticism that I don't think you'll like. But here goes.

The real issue with this jsk is the fabric. While it's a cute idea the way it's executed doesn't work for a jsk. First off the pancake stacks are too small, narrow and high. Because of thie they sort of meld into towers of "what?" on the way up the skirt, particularly where the gathers really start. Additionally the pink check is too soft and busy and too close in tone to the pancakes, further confusing the eye. Then the honey or syrup drips go all way down the bodice breaking it up in a way that doesn't go anywhere.

Finally as all of the rest of the jsk is such a blurry mess the red strawberries really stand out and draw the eye down to the bottom of the jsk in an unbalanced way.

All of that said, my suggestion would be to add visual structure to the jsk by playing up the red color. Add a red ribbon sash, perhaps a thinner red ribbon stripe at the bottom of the hem, and then finally balance these with some red bows placed at the top of the bodice. That might help
>>
I have some linen fabric lying around. Is there any way to use it in lolita/jfashion? Does anyone have examples since I can't find any or it is just no-no?
>>
>>9425556
I don't think linen is very well suited to Lolita, as a rule. It drapes so differently from cotton. Also it wrinkles like WOAH. You could make some really comfy bloomers? Dunno about other jfash though.
>>
>>9425556
I think linen would be more suitable for mori girl? you could make a cute apron with it or something, but don't gather it too much
>>
>>9425366
Your problem is the fabric. It's just ugly. Sorry anon
>>
>>9423436
I was 150 before I got pregnant and now 172 and still can get a decent silhouette. You just are cheaping out on material. Lolita is not normie fashion, you can't use the bare minimum of material and come out with the lolita aesthetic. Ask someone with lots of moitie for hem measurement and waist measurement to get an idea of a good ratio, even gothic has much fuller proportions than you used
>>
>>9425523
It seems like the same anon to me.
>>
>>9425556
You could always use it for super comfy lining.
>>
>>9425523
The lace is all the same color of white, it was late and there was no natural light available.
>>9425836
Kudos
>>9425655
Thanks for being the gull we all know and love.
>>9425532
Actually I value your opinion. I don't get mad when people don't care for the fabric. All I'm asking is for blantant opinion and different ideas. So far you've been very helpful.
>>9425527
I've toyed with this, it ruins the syrup drips (which I like) and my mock was ill received. I will entertain it again with all of this new crit.
>>
>>9425484
The fabric is super ugly and if you want to use the lace, you should have gathered it before sewing it in (and used it in another place, it looks weird having one narrow strip of lace slapped on).

No offense. Your construction looks good and the dress itself would be nice if the print didn't clash so hard with itself. It's just a really crazy combo of colors and themes
>>
>>9425484
I like the idea anon, but you'd need to work a little with the fabric. Maybe ditch the bottom part and use a checkered pink without print to balance the bodice. Some white lace in the bodice will also work.
>>
>>9425484
Maybe add a placket to break up the jumble of patterns a little?
>>
File: 20170407_183106.jpg (537KB, 673x1280px) Image search: [Google]
20170407_183106.jpg
537KB, 673x1280px
Anon from the buy/sell/trade thread who was sad about the look of this dress after I made it. I wanted to try it on one last time before I posted it to give away and someone had suggested a waist tie, so I held up some of the extra fabric and wow! I think it helped so much.
So question, does the waist tie save my dress's too low waist and if it does should I make it from a contrasting fabric?
Ignore my blouse, Its just something I had handy to try under it.
>>
>>9426239
Anon who mentioned the waist ties here.
That's not a waist tie, but a belt. Do a proper lolita waist ties like brand ones. You know, the 2 straps you button up on each side of the waist line. (please chose light colored buttons, not the same dark one you used for the top)
Rip off the skirt, trim the bodice a little so the waist line is higher, sew the skirt back on (adjust the pleats on the skirt, off course).
Also, embellish the top and put gathered lace around the plastron/bib. If you still have lace, replace the lace at the neckline with gathered one.
It's all about the details.

Good vintage sewing machine btw.
>>
Why didn't you use matchingTHREAD to sew this!!!!
DX
>>
>>9426239
like anon said that would be a belt

I think you should do a large tie/bow belt like the ones VM does for some of their chiffon dresses
>>
I'm working on a three tiered OP and was wondering if the difference between the tiers should be half a yard/meter or one yard/meter. So if tier one is 2 yard, should tier two be 2.5 yds then tier three be 3 yds, or should tier two be 3 yards then tier three be 4 yards?
>>
>>9428073
or is that ratio totally dependent on the top tier's width?
>>
>>9421953
Were you trying to make this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW2B0pKTEmw
>>
>>9428073
at least x2.

if you have only like half a meter extra to spread over the first tier width, it will look really sad
>>
>>9428073

Way before that though.

3 yards is just enough to give you decent poof with a petticoat. 2.5 yards, which is your middle tier, is barely enough to get decent poof going. You're better off doing 3 yards in the middle tier and go for 4-5 yards on the end tier.

Plus, gathering 3 yards of fabric to 2.5 yards of fabric isn't going to look very ruffly, if you're trying to save fabric at that point you might as well go with a regular rectangle skirt.

As for your original question, it does highly depend on how much fabric you'd like. I know one of the older versions of Meta's pintuck jsk has so much fabric in it it's actually wider than a circle skirt would be.
>>
File: Gothloli__2004__patterns__025.jpg (813KB, 1275x1755px) Image search: [Google]
Gothloli__2004__patterns__025.jpg
813KB, 1275x1755px
>>9428073
Here is a pattern from GosuRori 3.
Size small.
Top row : 132cmx15cm
Middle row : 212cmx16cm
Bottom row : 316cmx17cm
>>
File: Gothloli__2004__patterns__026.jpg (633KB, 1275x1755px) Image search: [Google]
Gothloli__2004__patterns__026.jpg
633KB, 1275x1755px
>>9428824
Part 2 of the pattern just in case.
>>
>>9428800
>>9428824
>>9428826
Awesome, thank you all so much! I was worried about not having enough gathering but then was thinking 4-5~ yards on the bottom tier was going to be excessive. Very much appreciate the advice!
>>
>>9428808
Alright, that definitely makes a lot more sense than just a 50cm difference, regarding the 3m needed for decent poof, would it be better to have a 3m top tier and basically shifting all the tiers up a tier's measurement? What would really be an excessive amount of fabric for a bottom tier? I'm thinking of how my petticoats would hold up under the weight of the dress,
>>
Any burda/simplicity pattern that can be used to make lolita skirts/jsks?
>>
>>9429116
McCalls M7500 looks pretty loliable
>>
File: 018.jpg (38KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
018.jpg
38KB, 400x300px
>>9429069

The top tier is nearer your waist, so it can be smaller. I think 3 yards in the top tier is a lot, but I guess it's up to you if you want a poofier dress. I'm actually pretty sure there's a Meta dress out there that has that much fabric in it, but I cannot seem to find it the pic where the girl held it out to her sides and it made a circle skirt shape. The girl who posted it did say the dress was very heavy, though.

If you're just doing 2+yards in the top and 4~5 yards in the bottom hem, a lot of Angelic Pretty tiered dresses have that measurement. So you should be okay with a regular petti at that width, so long as you aren’t using something heavy like velvet or denim.

fwiw Bodyline’s older tiered skirts had something like 1.5yards in the top tier and they always sat funny on me, so I’d say don’t make the top tier too small.
>>
>>9429069

Sorry, I just posted >>9429162 and then realised you were using metres and I was using yards. 1 yard is 0.9m, pretty sure you can work out the calculations.

Sage for error correction.
>>
>>9429162
>>9429169
No worries, I really appreciate the help!!
>>
>>9421953
That's fucking ugly girl, sorry you wasted your night. The blues don't match, you need a wider skirt part thing and more details like lace, bows and appliqués. Good luck on your next project thought!
>>
>>9423371
This is terrible. Are you the person who made this? Why did you use the red fabric on the skirt as well? that does not make any sense! Also drop that ugly strip of cheap lace on the middle, it just does not belongs.
>>
>>9426239
Don't make clothes out of curtains that's my tip
>>
>>9421953
is this blue-black or gold-white?
>>
File: IMAG0437.jpg (690KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0437.jpg
690KB, 1836x3264px
Op here again, this time thirty percent less shitty. Camera quality is garbage as ever DESU.

Also WTF are y'all on? nothing on that shitty dress was blue or navy.
>>
>>9430867
Awesome improvement! Maybe it's the camera quality, but on the bottom hem where it connects to the ruffle; the tiny bit of ruffle poking out on top looks kind of sloppy, I think it'd look better if the hem and ruffle were sewn together to hide the seam, then sewing some nice lace over where those colors meet
unless that's exactly what you did and I just can't tell
>>
>>9430867
Do you not have a dressform?

Get a dressform.
>>
File: 20170411_215537.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170411_215537.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
For my first project I want to make a skirt out of this sweet bat fabric I found. I don't have enough and need to splice it with another fabric. Would the fabric on either side work, or do the patterns clash too much?
>>
>finally begin putting tiered op together
>had to sew two long panels together to form first tier after awesome advice
>feeling good after making a solid game plan
>next day start the arduous hemming process
>going great, finally reach the seam in the panel
>totally forgot the tier was two panels sewed together
>right side of seam facing me
>did the hem fucking backwards
>over halfway done with hem using tiny af stitch length

someone just kill me now
>>
File: ganbare.gif (524KB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
ganbare.gif
524KB, 500x279px
>>9430980
Don't give up anon. You can do it!
>>
>>9421995
It's really quite unique and cute I feel like You could tweak and add to it to evolve your own character.
>>
>>9430964
Don't do it, that's horrible fabric
>>
>>9430867
seriously, anon, what color was that first dress supposed to be then? because that was def different shades of blue or we must all be colorblind
>>
>>9431092
Maybe purple? Shitty cameras have a hard time distinguishing blue vs purple.
>>
>>9431112
I was thinking that too though.
>>
>>9431092

White and gold duh.
>>
>>9431092
It's deep purple with and black. that high contrast thread was lavender, which i left in the machine because I was lazy.
>>
>>9430964
I love this fabric- for other shit, it won't make a cute skirt. Like a tote bag, or maybe some fun halloween curtains
>>
Currently in the process of making myself a simple black Lolita skirt. Thinking of something like this but gathering it at the top rather than adding pleats. Thoughts on whether that would look okay? Or will it take away from the bottom?

Also if anyone knows of a good tutorial for getting the layered effect at the bottom that'd be great. The nearest I can seem to find is Yumi King tutorials.
>>
>>9431299

So, something more like this? Looks decent, go for it.

As for the "layered effect", you make the skirt out of two layers. Attach the ruffles to the inner layer. Make the outer layer shorter. That's all.
>>
>>9431356
Yes essentially, thanks!

Oh that makes so much sense, I'll do that.
>>
>>9431299
i don't think gathers will look as good as pleats imo as for the layers i assume it's just the surface layer with something like an underskirt (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0QS6PKFVLAA/VWbeRoqzj9I/AAAAAAAABCQ/ZyTyKciOV8E/s1600/DSC_2795.JPG) sewn in
>>
File: img-thing (1).jpg (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
img-thing (1).jpg
14KB, 300x300px
>>9431362
Thanks, yeah I'm a little worried you might be right. I think I'm going to do a more toned down version of the ruffles (less layers) and see if that looks better, or maybe go with something similar to a skirt version of this (as I am a little worried about the amount of material I have if I want to try and make an underskirt for it).

Then if it still doesn't look quiet right I might go for pleats (which will be a hell of a lot unpicking but oh well - haha)

Thank you for your advice/link!
>>
>>9431120
wow you're so original
>>9429875
>>
>>9431386
good luck anon i hope it goes well!
>>
File: ruffles.png (16KB, 520x565px) Image search: [Google]
ruffles.png
16KB, 520x565px
>>9430964
Everything is going to clash with that fabric IMO, it's way too busy for something as large as a skirt. Take anon's advice and make some cute accessories instead.

>>9431386
The uppermost ruffle is sewn to the outer layer of the skirt and in this case I think the lower ruffle is as well (shittily illustrated by yours truly), different from >>9431299 where it's more likely attached to the lining (inner layer).

I hope this picture makes some sense. Black is the skirt and red is the two overlapping ruffles. The top ruffle is topstitched on with right sides facing out, whereas the lower ruffle is sewn right sides together to the lower edge of the skirt and pressed open like you would any other seam.
>>
>>9431483
Forgot to mention this is supposed to be a cross-section but I think you can figure that out yourself lol
>>
>>9431483
Thanks anon! That's really helpful.
>>
>>9421953
This wouldn't even be considered lolita... sorry anon...
>>
File: Screenshot_10.jpg (16KB, 227x279px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_10.jpg
16KB, 227x279px
>>9431299
>>9431386
Don't know if this helps, but this girl made something similar other day and posted about its construction. I guess you could just make a smaller ruffle and then sew something under it (in the skirt bottom) to make it layered.
>>
File: IMG_3862.png (88KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3862.png
88KB, 1500x1500px
>found local makerspace
>tons of sewing supplies including serger
>certified the next day to use it all
>>
>>9423368
Is there a guide somewhere on how to draft a pattern to your size from this? OnS has clear measurements/instructions included, which is simple enough, but I don't really know where to start here because I've never actually drafted a pattern before, just used commercial ones. I've googled around, but I can only get tutorials on how to draft bodice blocks etc. from scratch (idk if I'm using the wrong terminology or something).

Thanks gulls.
>>
>>9433471

This?

http://jessiedressesup.blogspot.my/2015/11/otome-no-sewing-sizing-up.html
>>
>>9433672
I've used this and it's super confusing because she uses the WRONG numbers in a few places for her calculations. She says she originally took notes for this while working on a different dress, but did it again just to make sure it worked, and I think she must have transposed a few numbers. Just follow your instinct for the most part and use common sense.
>>
>>9431299
Gathers or pleats would be fine, although pleats typically look cleaner and sharper. If you do go with gathering, try and gather your skirt on two or three strings. The gathers come out neater and usually lay better when you sew it.

http://seekatesew.com/make-better-ruffles/

^^this is a great and informative article on gathering. I reference it a lot actually, and I've been sewing for close to a decade.
>>
>>9433741
Agreed, that's a dreadful tutorial, have you ever used a sloper?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-14-10-30-28.png (3MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-14-10-30-28.png
3MB, 1080x1920px
What do you think of this color combo? I am trying to use up this fabric and some cream colored lace I have around.
>>
>>9434006
That's beautiful! What lace were you thinking of using? Also, did you do the embroidery?
>>
>>9433672
Sorry anon, that's not what I mean - I just mean that the pattern in >>9423368 has no measurements listed. So how do I figure out how/where to add ease, how do I scale it up without those measurements as a reference, etc.

I've seen the tutorial you linked to before and it made sense to me, but she did start with the measurements provided by OnS, and the above pattern has no measurements.
>>
>>9434006
Anon, I adore this. What is it going to be?
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (64KB, 1134x500px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
64KB, 1134x500px
>>9434008
The lace I have is not the best. I am thinking about using it until I can tear it off and afford something better. I didn't do the actual design, but I watched my machine clack clack clack away at it.

>>9434038
Probably a skirt. This is really my first project. I would LIKE to do something like pic related, but there is a good chance I will drop the bats. I guess it depends on how much thread I have?
>>
>>9434031

Ah, sorry, the GLB comes with paper patterns in only one size that you do have to cut out, they don't work like the OnS patterns that you can draft. If you do need to draft these from scratch I guess your best bet is to start with a basic sloper and modify it.

If pattern-drafting is not your forte you could try looking for a ready-made pattern with a bodice that looks similar to what you want, and then swap out the skirt for a 3m rectangle skirt. Or there were scans of the OnS going around some months back, you might still be able to find them in the cgl archives.

>>9433741

Hm. I didn't notice that. I thought the principle was sound and didn't bother walking through her calculations. Do you have any better tutorials? If not I guess I'll just mention her maths don't work out next time I recommend the link.
>>
>>9434031
Oh you can't actually use that scan as a pattern. Look in the GosuRoris and OnS for a JSK you like that has the actual measurements. They won't be translated, but you can do take a photo with google translate and it'll do the work for you, more or less.
>>
>>9434053
I think one with just the cathedral and gates would be lovely. I'd leave out the bats and bow.
>>
>>9434053
Agreed with the other anon. I think the bow clashes a bit in style, so leave it out. And I prefer the layout as just a border.

The bats are cute though, maybe you could do another skirt in the future with a border of bats.
>>
>>9428824
(different anon here) I dunno, that just seems like difficult to wear without getting ita label.
>>
>>9434238
Old school in general seems tricky like that.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-14-14-47-16.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-14-14-47-16.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
>>9434112
I'll try doing just the gate and cathedral. Only 737,270 stitches to go!
>>
>>9434275
Hnng, I absolutely love that. Gates and cathedrals are pretty much my favourite motifs. I bet you have a really spiffy wardrobe with an embroidery machine.
>>
>>9434275
How much did that machine cost?
>>
>>9434275
What kind of machine do you have? I have an annoying to use 4"by 4" machine I hate, and I'd really like to upgrade to a larger one.
>>
>>9434275
Is that a regular machine or do you need a specific one to do embroidery?

Sorry for the super noob question, i never sewed before
>>
>>9434302
Not really, I am a fatty fatty fat fat. I am working on loosing weight with a personal trainer who is kicking my ass and has me on a diet, bless his soul. This is my first lolita piece, and I plan on passing it down to another chub when I loose the weight.
>>9434337
I have a brother PE 770, and I love it. I also own the brother two SE 400. Both are pretty great. I will say the PE 770 needs serviced more often then the smaller machines I own. I got mine on amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MQI2NM?ref_=ams_ad_dp_asin_3
I also own the SINGER Futura XL-400, and it is FUCKING AWFUL. It may be tempting due to the price point and size, but it will eat everything you love.
>>9434374
You may be able to do some free hand embroidery with a higher end sewing machine, but to run a pattern like this you need a separate machine. Some machines, like the PE 400 double as a sewing machine as well.

I would be happy to answer any more questions about embroidery. I don't want to call myself an expert, but I have been embroidering and designing my own embroidery designs for 4 years now.
>>
>>9434433
How much thread does a machine like that eat? And how does it work exactly? You create a design in some compatible program and the machine just copies it?
>>
>>9434433
I would love a beret or cardigan with a cathedral on the back if you're selling, anon. Even just for casual wear.
>>
>>9434478
I'm guessing I will be going through at least 2 spools of embroidery thread and an equal amount of bobbin thread.
As far as the designs, either you can purchase a premade design or use a program to make something. When I bought my machine, the sales person told me to not even bother buying the slftware, it's too hard to learn, just pay someone to design everything. I disagree. It wasn't that difficult to figure out.
>>
>>9434065
>>9434092
Ahahaha, ok thank you anons! Good to know I wasn't just missing something. I always see this "pattern" posted in tutorial threads and I thought people just went off of that.

I'll look into drafting something to fit, then. I do have some OnS (3,4, and 2 lent to a friend) but I wanted to start out with something super simple and I thought the pattern above would've been nice for that.
>>
>>9434495
Any particular colors/material you would like it made out of? Or just drop me an email and we can work things out
>>
>>9434275
>The set up of diy dreams.
I really like the patterns at urban threads. I just need to be fed up with my machine enough to replace it.
>>
File: lace.jpg (596KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
lace.jpg
596KB, 700x500px
>>9434505
I'm not picky on material, especially if it's just for casual wear. Black x gold would be just dandy. Although sometime in June, I'll be getting some of this lace in and might want it to match that. I'll mull it over!
>>
Yo, any good handmade lolitas to follow on Instagram? Drop your handle so I can follow you.
>>
>>9434508
I love that site, but sometimes I hate how dense they make their stitch designs. I feel like a lot of the time they could cut a lot of the bulk on stitching and save my project from jamming
>>
>>9434513
Gorgeous lace! Where did you find that?
>>
>>9434558
upper right corner
>>
What are some good places to get patterned fabric? I'm looking for Goth or classic prints, preferably with a border on the bottom.
>>
>>9434562
Derp, sorry. On my phone and it blends in
>>
File: nurse glb dress pattern.jpg (180KB, 736x1012px) Image search: [Google]
nurse glb dress pattern.jpg
180KB, 736x1012px
Posting an old pattern from GLB
>>
File: petti pattern.jpg (291KB, 1162x1599px) Image search: [Google]
petti pattern.jpg
291KB, 1162x1599px
>>9434816
>>
File: bunny.png (1MB, 598x800px) Image search: [Google]
bunny.png
1MB, 598x800px
>>9434819
Not really a dress pattern, but I thought it was kind of cute
>>
File: image-20170414_212658.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
image-20170414_212658.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
So as far as I know scans of OnS 8 aren't out there right? I just bought a copy today, and although I'm not going to take mine apart to scan it, I can try and take nice photos of the pages, if people would find that worthwhile!
>>
>>9434275
Why is the hoop so dirty? Take care of your stuff anon.
>>
>>9434884
I'd super appreciate that, anon!
>>
>>9433917
Thanks so much anon! I think this tutorial just saved my project. I've kind of been just staring at it for 2 days as I couldn't make the ruffles look as I wanted them/even. I'm definitely going to use this!
>>
File: Gothloli__2004__patterns__017.jpg (904KB, 1275x1755px) Image search: [Google]
Gothloli__2004__patterns__017.jpg
904KB, 1275x1755px
>>9434816
>>9434819
That's not from GLB, anon. It's from GosuRori 3.

Here is part 1 of that JSK pattern.
>>
File: ots8-cover_thumb.jpg (79KB, 350x479px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-cover_thumb.jpg
79KB, 350x479px
>>9434884
Actually, there are OnS8 scans about.
I'll dump them, since 8 is one of my favourites.
>>
File: ots8-01.jpg (174KB, 719x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-01.jpg
174KB, 719x1024px
>>9435149
>>
File: ots8-02.jpg (187KB, 742x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-02.jpg
187KB, 742x1024px
>>9435151
>>
File: ots8-03.jpg (191KB, 742x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-03.jpg
191KB, 742x1024px
>>9435152
>>
File: ots8-04.jpg (182KB, 742x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-04.jpg
182KB, 742x1024px
>>9435153
>>
File: ots8-05.jpg (173KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-05.jpg
173KB, 724x1024px
>>9435154
>>
File: ots8-06.jpg (173KB, 750x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-06.jpg
173KB, 750x1024px
>>9435155
>>
File: ots8-07.jpg (244KB, 737x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-07.jpg
244KB, 737x1024px
>>9435156
>>
File: ots8-08.jpg (181KB, 711x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-08.jpg
181KB, 711x1024px
>>9435158
I really love this jsk.
>>
File: ots8-09.jpg (196KB, 709x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-09.jpg
196KB, 709x1024px
>>9435159
>>
File: ots8-10.jpg (135KB, 735x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-10.jpg
135KB, 735x1024px
>>9435161
>>
File: ots8-11.jpg (154KB, 737x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-11.jpg
154KB, 737x1024px
>>9435162
>>
File: ots8-12.jpg (145KB, 736x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-12.jpg
145KB, 736x1024px
>>9435164
>>
File: ots8-13.jpg (136KB, 780x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-13.jpg
136KB, 780x1024px
>>9435165
>>
File: ots8-14.jpg (120KB, 742x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-14.jpg
120KB, 742x1024px
>>9435166
>>
File: ots8-15.jpg (173KB, 738x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-15.jpg
173KB, 738x1024px
>>9435168
>>
File: ots8-16.jpg (175KB, 735x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-16.jpg
175KB, 735x1024px
>>9435169
>>
File: ots8-17.jpg (170KB, 737x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-17.jpg
170KB, 737x1024px
>>9435171
>>
File: ots8-18.jpg (148KB, 741x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-18.jpg
148KB, 741x1024px
>>9435172
>>
File: ots8-19.jpg (159KB, 741x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-19.jpg
159KB, 741x1024px
>>9435173
>>
File: ots8-20.jpg (237KB, 739x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-20.jpg
237KB, 739x1024px
>>9435175
>>
File: ots8-21.jpg (229KB, 742x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-21.jpg
229KB, 742x1024px
>>9435176
>>
File: ots8-22.jpg (241KB, 737x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-22.jpg
241KB, 737x1024px
>>9435177
>>
File: ots8-23.jpg (207KB, 735x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-23.jpg
207KB, 735x1024px
>>9435178
>>
File: ots8-24.jpg (217KB, 742x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-24.jpg
217KB, 742x1024px
>>9435179
>>
File: ots8-25.jpg (203KB, 742x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-25.jpg
203KB, 742x1024px
>>9435180
>>
File: ots8-26.jpg (199KB, 737x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-26.jpg
199KB, 737x1024px
>>9435181
>>
File: ots8-27.jpg (181KB, 742x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-27.jpg
181KB, 742x1024px
>>9435183
>>
File: ots8-28.jpg (147KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots8-28.jpg
147KB, 768x1024px
>>9435184
And that's it.
I think I downloaded these from Miss Carol Belle.
She has scans from 1 to 8.
>>
>>9435184
>>9435187

These look really fun to make, is there any translated or simular tutorials in english?
>>
>>9435187
Thanks for posting!!
>saves every image
>>
>>9435198

It's just shrinky dink/polyshrink. You can find instructions for working with it via a quick google search.

On this specific one, the white lines are drawn on and the disc baked. Then covered in nail polish (applied using a makeup sponge to get the gradient effect). The edges are coloured in with felt markers. The pearls, ribbon, ring base are all just glued on to each other. Rabbit done in the same way, the holes are punched before the shape is baked so that you can add charms and things.

Polyshrink's not really the highest quality material out there, but it's pretty fun to do.
>>
>>9435149
Oh, I more meant the black and white pages so you can draft the patterns! I knew the color scans were out there, for us sewing-chans. I'll take photos of those later and post if I can get them to come out. There's a HUGE dump on vk.com. (Add /albums-36779752 to get to it) that include all of the black and white pages of 1-5.
>>
>>9435217
Oh its shrinky dink? I actually have a lot of that in my craft drawer! I couldnt tell from the pictures what it was, thank you! Something to play with to get it used up.
>>
>>9431299
>>9431356
>>9431483
>>9431885
>>9433917

Thanks guys for all your help. Almost finished now and really excited. (The ruffles article was a god send, making ruffles was so much less of a nightmare).

One last question (sorry), I put ruffles on the bottom like in some of the images above (not an underlayer/underskirt. Do you reckon I can get away with it being pleated like some of the earlier pictures? Or is it just safer to stay with more ruffled/gathered at the top?

I tried pinning it for pleated (this is only my second time attempting pleats) and it doesn't look quiet right. But I'm not sure if I just need to alter the size of the pleats. Do you think pleats could work with this style?
>>
>>9435262
Can you drop a pic of what it looks like with the pleats? Also super interested in how the project is coming along
>>
>>9435235
Bless you anon.
>>
>>9435366
Sure thing, although today I am having to work on a more pressing project so it might be tomorrow when I next pick this up.

I'm kind of starting to lose hope in this skirt though as I feel like it doesn't quiet look right and I'm struggling with ways to fix it...
>>
is there any other fabric brand/name other than Kona cotton that can be used for lolita? because recently I ordered a piece of kona, but I was kinda dissapointed with the thickness of it (it was pretty much the same as my normal cotton, only with a stretch to it). I'm really looking for a cotton that is really thight woven but also fairly flowy. any recommendations? I live in europe, so I would prefer an online shop in the EU
>>
>>9436308
Twill is my go to. I wouldn't call it flowy, but it's nicely woven. I really like the quilting cotton weight from Art Gallery, it's slightly textured and has a good heft to it, not at all see through. The other word you might try is gabardine. Some of the GosuRoris and OnS reference "burberry" fabric but I don't really know what that is.
>>
>>9436244
Don't lose hope!! You got this, anon!
>>
>>9436691
Thank you! Took a break from it though as I think I need to take a step back and figure out the best way to make it not look like trash. I'm lending my machine to a friend for a couple weeks though, so should give me time to work it out haha.

I did however make an okay-ish base for a simple sweet lolita dress whilst procrastinating. So it's not all bad.
>>
>>9436431

Every time I've bought a dress listed as "burberry" fabric it turns out to be cotton twill. I think Burberry is cotton twill, lol.
>>
>>9434499
What software do you use, anon? My mom has a super fancy sewing machine that can do embroidery as well. I would love to make some patterns for it, but last time I looked, the program cost a couple hundred bucks (I was afraid to invest without knowing if it was actually worth it or not). Also, did you draw or buy the cathedral and gate patterns that you're using? If bought, a source would be lovely!
>>
>>9435184
>>9435217

Super hand holdy/spoonfeeding, but any idea what sort of paint the white is, that can go in the over/on shrinky dink without getting destroyed?
>>
>>9434816
>>9434819
>>9434821
>>9434884
>>9435015
>>9435149
>>9435151
>>9435152
>>9435153
>>9435154
>>9435155
>>9435156
>>9435158
>>9435159
>>9435161
>>9435162
>>9435164
>>9435165
>>9435166
>>9435168
>>9435169
>>9435171
>>9435172
>>9435173
>>9435175
>>9435176
>>9435177
>>9435178
>>9435179
>>9435180
>>9435181
>>9435183
>>9435184
>>9435187
Thank you for the pattern dump!!! Do you have any awesome skirt patterns? I have a super cute blouse and some fabric I really really love and want to make just a high-waisted skirt.
>>
>>9438179

They name the specific brand, but honestly I'd say any of the gel pens that are made for writing on black should be able to work.

The one in the tutorial is Posca brand:

https://www.jetpens.com/Uni-Posca-Paint-Marker-PC-1M-White-Extra-Fine-Point/pd/10608

And before you ask, the shrinky dink doesn't seem to be any particular brand.
>>
Do I need to be talked out of a hostess cupcake dress?
>>
>>9438827
Absolutely not. Do it.

Also; what's everyone's best sewing win? Is there a dress you're super proud of? Managed to do an alteration that worked out really well? Cute accessories you made and ended up loving?
>>
>>9422679
>black thread was obviously the better choice.

nooooo, no contrasting thread at all. You want the same color so that it does not show.
>>
>>9438827
go for it

i also want to see someone do a really good coffee-themed coord
>>
>>9437961
I use whatever the brother embroidery software is. It was given to me though, so I don't know how much it costs. It's okay. I think I would be more upset if I had paid for it.
I bought these patterns from urbanthreads.com
>>
File: IMG_0350.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0350.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>9438916
I'm glad you mentioned that! I am working on a dessert themed outfit, and I am planning on a brown outfit for my man-person, which will be coffee themed. it's not strictly a lolita set, its costumes but I can't help but love the lolita aesthetic. Here's the bodice of my outfit and I'm a little bit sad it's not destined for lolita.
>>
>>9438945
Holy shit that looks awesome!!
>>
File: IMG_0350.jpg (1MB, 2297x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0350.jpg
1MB, 2297x3264px
>>9438945
Ugh 4chan -__-'
>>
>>9438946
Aw shucks! Thanks! The loops make more sense when you can see them all together. They are like the hostess cupcakes which is what made me think of making a whole hostess lolita dress!
>>
>>9438947
Where did you get that lace?? It's so cute!
>>
Where are the better places to get hat bases? I don't have the space to make bases from scratch (or the time if im being honest) and I don't want to bulk buy off of amazon for something that looks like mini top hats from hot topic.
>>
>>9438970
https://laces.world.taobao.com/

Tons of great stuff including some replica lace. Very high quality and very inexpensive. I would highly recommend it.
>>
File: Page13.jpg (732KB, 816x1123px) Image search: [Google]
Page13.jpg
732KB, 816x1123px
>>9438234
You're welcome!
I have a couple of scans of high waisted skirts, I'll dump hem for you.
If it has a black & white page, I'll include that too.
>>
File: Page81.jpg (488KB, 816x1123px) Image search: [Google]
Page81.jpg
488KB, 816x1123px
>>9439355
These are from ONS1.
>>
File: Page82.jpg (596KB, 816x1123px) Image search: [Google]
Page82.jpg
596KB, 816x1123px
>>9439357
>>
File: Page83.jpg (385KB, 816x1123px) Image search: [Google]
Page83.jpg
385KB, 816x1123px
>>9439358
>>
File: ots3-04.jpg (211KB, 742x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots3-04.jpg
211KB, 742x1024px
>>9439360
Otome no Sewing 3, no black and white pages of this, sorry.
>>
File: ots3-12.jpg (174KB, 744x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ots3-12.jpg
174KB, 744x1024px
>>9439364
Also from ONS3.
>>
File: 009.jpg (486KB, 1400x1927px) Image search: [Google]
009.jpg
486KB, 1400x1927px
>>9439366
Gosu Rori 14
>>
File: 062.jpg (402KB, 1400x1936px) Image search: [Google]
062.jpg
402KB, 1400x1936px
>>9439370
>>
File: 065.jpg (367KB, 1400x1927px) Image search: [Google]
065.jpg
367KB, 1400x1927px
>>9439371
>>
File: QwrIuhq0cuY[1].jpg (191KB, 785x1080px) Image search: [Google]
QwrIuhq0cuY[1].jpg
191KB, 785x1080px
>>9439364
>>9439366
I gotchu.
>>
File: NOoqXXYnmwE[1].jpg (125KB, 785x1080px) Image search: [Google]
NOoqXXYnmwE[1].jpg
125KB, 785x1080px
>>9439445
>>
File: 14FWswGRzBo[1].jpg (117KB, 785x1080px) Image search: [Google]
14FWswGRzBo[1].jpg
117KB, 785x1080px
>>9439447
>>
has anyone seen scans of ONS 9 or 10 kicking around?
>>
>>9438337
Thanks anon, I looked at the pen in the picture and couldnt figure it out.
>>
File: bunny.jpg (122KB, 526x451px) Image search: [Google]
bunny.jpg
122KB, 526x451px
Since craft thread is autosaging I'll ask this here.

I made this lace sample earlier, it's supposed to be a bunny (ignore the knots, it will continue on those parts). The problem is that I'm not sure does it look good. Can I get some opinions before I begin to make a chain of bunnies? Is it good like this or should something be changed? I know the ears could look better filled but I didn't find any good way to do it.

Also I haven't yet decided what I'm gonna do so suggestions are welcome. It's around 4cm high if it matters.
>>
>>9442282
Sorry anon, I don't understand much of this kind of craft, but I cannot see a rabbit very well here. Maybe making the center rounder and the ears closer?
>>
>>9438988
Does such a place exist? Honestly I think you are better off making your own from scratch because it will make construction easier. That or commissioning someone if all you want to do is add trims.
>>
File: Untitled-17_20copy_original.jpg (460KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-17_20copy_original.jpg
460KB, 700x700px
>>9442282
Are you going to attach this to a dress? If you are attaching the bunny head upside down I think it will be hard to read as a rabbit, it will end up looking like normal lace. (like at the hem of a dress)

If you could somehow incorporate a simple design into the lace so that the bunny could be facing upright I think it will read better.

If this isnt the case however then I think it looks cute! I would suggest maybe making the head a bit rounder/fatter and the ears closer together. But I think this could look so adorable on a boater hat or on the bodice of a dress
>>
>>9442297
>>9442366
I'll try these, thanks for the tips
>>
>>9421995
This looks like a 70s dress or something, not bad work or anything, but not particularly lolita either imo
>>
>>9442356
Dang, that's what I feared. I found a few theatre supply stores but I honestly don't know how stores like voodoodolly and other etsy brands do it. All I see in terms of bases are puritan bonnets, tricorn hats, or Kentucky derby Sunday mass realness.
>>
File: IMG_4045.jpg (60KB, 500x723px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4045.jpg
60KB, 500x723px
What's the name of those head dresses that look like this? Do they even have a real name?
>>
>>9442997
looks like a big bow with a veil attached. Not sure if it has a name but it seems easy to make.
>>
>>9442997
Canotier, I believe, At least in Lolita fashion, idk if in general they're called that.
>>
>>9442991
Try Lacis. I've only bought from them in person, but they appear to sell some of their buckram hat bases online.
>http://lacis.com/catalog/data/AG_Millinery.html
Not sure what styles you are looking for though.
>>
>>9443021
That's it, thanks very much!
>>
Found this fabric on taobao, what would you gulls suggest I make with it?

I don’t really want to look like I’m making knockoff JetJ/IW/JM library dresses.
>>
>>9443197
I think it'd be nice in a plain colour bodice/patterned skirt combo, maybe pleat the skirt rather than gather it. I don't think you'll look like IW with that fabric as royal library etc are quite distinctive same colour designs, and as long as you don't do the whole dress in print then you're not really gonna look much like JetJ/JM
If you made a corset/high waist skirt in the style of Atelier Pierrot that would also be a good point of difference.
>>
>>9421953
Not strictly Lolita, but I'm currently working on a commission and I wound up deciding to modify a gored skirt pattern for an a-line look- I'd be happy to share my results once it's all done if anybody is interested?
I didn't want lots of panels in the skirt so I adjusted it to have only three panels, one for the front and two for the back.
>>
>>9443270
>I adjusted it to have only three panels, one for the front and two for the back.
For what purpose tho? Just to be able to put easily the zip on the back? Because the back is wider than the front? There's a reason why a gored skirt have multiple panels, I don't see how merging some panels together can work. I'm intrigued by your design.
>>
>>9443270
If you're working on a commission I hope you aren't making changes without letting your client know, and that design sounds really odd, are you trying to recreate something from a drawing?
>>
>>9443283
I'm changing it because the skirt from the design has no panels, hence I'm trying to avoid having a large number of visible seams.
>>9443306
What I said to the above anon
>>
>>9436308
I use suit fabric when I can afford it. Maybe look for that?
>>
>>9443032
>>http://lacis.com/catalog/data/AG_Millinery.html
Not the person who asked originally, but oh I love you~ I want all the poke bonnets.
>>
File: 10793.jpg (29KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
10793.jpg
29KB, 240x320px
>>9443197
>>9443240

The irony is I think Atelier Pierrot used the exact same fabric for their Libero Dei series.

I think they overdesigned it, though. imo, I'd go for something simple even if it does look like Jane Marple, rather than something funky that looks odd. Pleats sounds like a cute idea, something a librarian would wear, with a library print.
>>
>>9431007
i agree with this person. it's cute. the thread is a tad distracting but I'd be careful about adding lace to cover mistakes. (people on here tend to overuse them)
>>
>>9423368
90% sure the blogger was Mode a la Belle
>>
I'm thinking about making a coffin shaped bag, but i'm not sure what materials would be best to use. I'm thinking some type of vinyl for the outside, but i'm not sure what to use to make it hold a shape. suggestions would be appreciated
>>
>>9449946
Buckram or very stiff interfacing sandwiched between two layers of batting.
>>
>>9434921
Pretty sure it's from the fabric. Stuff like this will leave FLUFF EVERYWHERE from the raw edges.
>>
>>9449946
Assuming you want it very rigid and boxy, I would go with heavy interfacing for the front and back, and corrugated plastic, possibly sintra for the sides.
>>
File: IMG_4184.jpg (1018KB, 3358x2094px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4184.jpg
1018KB, 3358x2094px
So gulls I have quite the dilemma unfolding. Working on this dress and when I started pinning the tiers together I realized the skirt looked hella short for dress, I wanted to make a high waisted dress and I'm 163 cm so I wanted to definitely have enough length to go to knees, but when I measured the skirt is only 51~ cm. I measured my other normal waisted skirts and they had a range of 55cm to 64cm, so now I'm worried I'm making this dress too short either way. My biggest problem to add another tier is the fact I ran out of lace A and I haven't found it anywhere (I bought it years ago), but I was able to find a similar lace and added it to the bottom tier which looks fine. But if I add that scalloped lace to a connecting tier do you guys think it'll look really stupid? Should I put the dress together with a normal waist then use an underskirt with the dress?
(Also at a crossroads of how to design the bodice hence the weird looking drawing)
>>
File: IMG_4185.jpg (1MB, 2762x2013px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4185.jpg
1MB, 2762x2013px
>>9452941
Lace A and B
>>
>>9452944
Wait i've seen lace that looks like that somewhere, I think either ebay or my personal supplies. How much more do you need? I think i've got a bunch, maybe I can help out'
>>
>>9452941
>https://www.ebay.com/itm/162287105832
Found the ebay listing! Comes in white and beige, hopefully that helps!!
>>
>>9452986
ANON HOLY MOLY THANK YOU SO MUCH
>>
>>9452989
welcome!! I'd love to see the dress when it gets finished, it looks like it's gonna be really cute!!
>>
File: IMG_4188.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4188.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>9452992
YOURE TOO KIND THANK YOU
>>
>>9452941

Adding an extra tier with lace B looks all right, they don't look all that different. You could make it look intentionally different by adding some little ribbons or bows, so that the third tier looks like it was always meant to look different from tiers 1 & 2, if you want.

If the extra length you need is only 7cm or under, then instead of adding another tier you could probably add a ruffle instead of an actual tier, then it makes sense for lace B to look different from the other tiers.
>>
>>9453212
I really like both your suggestions, thank you!!
>>
File: 717tqH9V9zL._UY445_.jpg (16KB, 272x445px) Image search: [Google]
717tqH9V9zL._UY445_.jpg
16KB, 272x445px
Requesting a pattern for a peter pan collar dress but with pleats like this >>9421968 in the skirt?

I need one in light blue, but no luck finding one ready to buy, so I suppose I need to make it.
>>
>>9458322
So you already have the guide to make the skirt, the bodice is a really simple bodice, probably could find a pattern for $3 from Walmart with that kind of bodice, for the Peter Pan collar there's a great tutorial on how to make one on Professor Pincushion's YouTube channel, I'll link it for you
https://youtu.be/3-MkM8h60kk

It should be a pretty easy project, best of luck!
>>
>>9458335
Thank you so much!
>>
>>9422001
It fits together well enough. I don't think it's too distracting. Besides, do you have any idea how difficult it would be to find different materials in the exact same hue?
>>
So I've come into possession of a metric fuckton of twill tape, what do you guys use it for?
>>
Hi gulls
I was thinking about doing my own leather and PVC chokers. I've been looking for materials in ali but i can't find any decent pvc or leather lace, any recommendations?
>>
What material do you guys use for blouses? I bought some nice twill, but now I'm wondering if that's too heavy, or if it's not what you're supposed to use?
>>
>>9443197
Mind sharing the link for it anon?
>>
>>9460293
twill is mostly used for mainpieces, for blouses you can just use a lighter weight, but good quality cotton
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2048x2048px
When I get stressed I tend to craft, and I'm starting to run out of places to store all the shit I've been making. Full disclosure, they're all lace and flowers hot glued to buckram backing with a hair clip glued onto the back, so they're not exactly high art or anything, but they all look pretty similar to these. If I dumped a bunch of this shit in the BST in a big numbered collage so you could just email with the item number you wanted, do you think anyone would bite? My comm is broke and won't buy shit, even at swap meets.
>>
>>9460366
open up an etsy shop or something, people will bite. you pieces are good quality for so far I can see (at least no horrible lace), so they should sell. you just have to get your name out there. what price were you thinking?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>9460403

Probably $25 or $30 for larger pieces with lots of materials used, $3-$5 for things like this. I have an Etsy, I guess I just need to go back to putting things in it. I haven't sold on there in like five years, I'm sure things have changed since then.
>>
>>9460366
>>9460414
Set up that Etsy anon, people will buy cute stuff like these.
>>
>>9460362
Well, shit. I'll have to find uses for these 2-2.5yd cuts of white and black twill. Oops.
>>
>>9459768

Metric fuckton of twill tape, right?

I'm in the middle of finger-knitting a simple bag that I'll line with cute fabric and interfacing, and decorate with lace and flowers once I'm done. Keep running out of twill tape, though, so if you're starting out with a metric fuckton you should be able to get your bag finished pretty fast.
>>
>>9459768
Make a steel cage petti. It's perfect for creating boning encasement.
>>
>>9460366
Eeeeeh. When I ordered some accessories from Taobao (Sweet Dreamer specifically) a lot of them involved hot glue, especially to put clips on the back. They were sewn where possible as an addition. They look cute and haven't fallen apart yet, so if I was buying I wouldn't hold the hot glue again you. Put them up and see who might bite.
>>
>>9460441
Would you mind sharing a pic of what you're doing? I'm not understanding how the twill tape is being used,
>>
>>9460838

Yeah everything is pretty mashed together in the glue. I'm fairly certain that the lace would rip at the edge of the glue before the glue unfastened itself from the lace or the buckram backing. I'll see about putting together an etsy.
>>
>>9460293
Twill is too heavy for a blouse. I just made a blouse out of cotton poplin with slight stretch. It's very comfortable from the 3% spandex content and I like the crispness of the fabric. You can get it at Joann, it's called Sew Classic Shirting Stretch Poplin
>>
File: IMG_2217.jpg (780KB, 1200x836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2217.jpg
780KB, 1200x836px
>>9458348
...?
Finding tread that doesn't clash with your main fabric is sewing 101. Even in my shitty small town in bumfuck nowhere there's a store that carries 100+ hues of Gütermann thread. If you can buy fabric you can buy matching thread. There's really no excuse.
>>
>>9461292
HNNNGGG
God I love Gutermann thread, especially those multi-toned ones, even though I never have a use for them lol. But yeah, not being able to find a matching thread is pretty ridiculous, even Walmart has a decent thread selection. There's not really an excuse to not finding a thread that blends in with whatever you're sewing. If you can't match your thread to your fabric that's a pretty bad sign lmao
>>
>>9461322
I mean I sometimes have problems matching the colours exactly but that's not even really a problem as long as you get close enough that it's not glaring. Navy and lavender, though? Even black thread would have been a better choice.
>>
>>9461279
Sweet, thank you! I'll take a look over there.

Unrelated, is there a common ratio for making tiered bell skirts? I used one of the old EGL tutorials to make a skirt, and didn't realize it'd be a line.
>>
>>9461367
Yeah, working with plaids or gingham can be kind of a pain in the ass when you're deciding which color to use for your thread, but even then you don't pick a color that's nowhere in your main fabric
>>
How many handmade pieces does everyone have? Do you make main pieces? Smaller pieces like shirts? Only accessories?
>>
>>9461417
>How many handmade pieces does everyone have?
Somewhere in the 40-50 range I think. It's been a while since I counted, lol.
>Do you make main pieces?
Yes.
>Smaller pieces like shirts?
I want to make blouses and cardigans as I have way too many main pieces.
>Only accessories?
I've made a bunch of matching bows for my main pieces. I recently made my first canotier. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, so I want to make more, plus some rectangle headdresses.
>>
>>9461373
Unless you do a gray that'll blend in.
>>
>>9461429
>just conpleted second dress
People like you inspire me, anon!
>>
>>9461487
I'm about to throw my phone out the window, completed**
>>
>>9461292
>>9461367
This. Tip: when it comes to contrast, I find that it's better to get thread slightly darker rather than slightly lighter. I find when it's lighter it shows up really brightly, whereas if it's a tad darker it's not as obvious. Of course, all this is in the case you somehow can't find the right shade to match.
>>
>>9461429
Did you use a tutorial or anything for the canotier? I wanna make one but I'm afraid it'll look dumb as hell if I'm not careful,
>>
>>9461487
Thank you anon! Congratulations on finishing your second dress, it's such an exciting feeling.

>>9461702
I used this tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y66FQADm8DE
But I gathered the lace by machine and hot glued it on rather than sewed it to the felt circle. (I think hot glue is fine since it looks ok and the lace isn't budging anytime soon.) I also used crochet lace rather than raschel and kept it simple with a small bow and a few pearls, no veil or anything.
In the future, I want to make one with fake flowers, but haven't found any in stores nearby that don't look cheap, so I may just order some off the internet somewhere.
>>
>>9461737
You should try making silk ribbon roses, they are pretty easy and turn out a lot better than faux flowers imo.
>>
>>9461417
>How many handmade pieces does everyone have?
I'm up to 8 now, including accessories. This number does include the trainwreck pieces though.
>Do you make main pieces?
Primarily, yep.
>Smaller pieces like shirts?
I upsized a blouse pattern and traced it out and everything, just haven't actually cut and sewn it. I made a cutsew though!
>Only accessories?
Like other anon, I make bows to match my mains. Other than that, I've made a really simple double strand pearl necklace, and wrist cuffs.

I'm a beginning Lolita, and I actually have more handmade mains than not right now.
>>
Why circle skirt is a no-no? Doesn't it give you an a-line silhouette?
>>
>>9462854
It drapes differently. It's technically a-line, but i looks wrong. Also, circle skirts mean the pattern direction isn't always in the correct orientation since it's cut on all grains.
>>
File: FYZ3QWRHTTFT3ID.MEDIUM.jpg (42KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
FYZ3QWRHTTFT3ID.MEDIUM.jpg
42KB, 620x413px
>>9460903

Whoops, should have typed finger crochet instead of finger knitting, sorry.
>>
>>9462854
I think you might be able to pull it off in very very select few circumstances. I think I saw someone do a sailor coord with a circle skirt? (solid navy) But it's quite full even sitting on pettis and looks odd with fabric bunching here and there.
>>
File: IMG_4338.jpg (2MB, 2857x2857px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4338.jpg
2MB, 2857x2857px
Finally finished this thing, really appreciate everyone answering my questions along the way!
>>
>>9467312
Anon, this turned out so cute!!!
If I might make a nitpick though - your bottom tier doesn't have the lace attached evenly, and white sections of the gingham are showing above the lace in places. It does draw the eye a little bit because it makes the lace look wider in parts and make it look handmade, so maybe if you have the patience go back and correct that so the top edge of your hem lace always falls in the dark green section of the gingham.
>>
File: IMG_4226.jpg (108KB, 995x696px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4226.jpg
108KB, 995x696px
>>9467635
Thank you! I'm really happy with it, and thanks for the nitpick, I didn't even notice that unevenness on the bottom! I'll definitely be touching that up, lol
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 103

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.