[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it wrong to "steal" a panel?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: NCW.gif (3MB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
NCW.gif
3MB, 800x600px
So this started from a conversation I saw in the Newcon thread.

According to the poster, Newcon approached the creator of the CWF to see if they were interested in having a show at Newcon,.Come the con, Newcon did their own wrestling show and kept the CWF team out of it.

My question is did they even need to ask permission in the first place? Panel ideas are copied left and right (how many Jojo pose panels do you see or how many cosplay 101 panels are out there). Panel ideas don't have a trademark nor are they well protected. Watching panels, you can easily see the formula each show uses (as well as source cites for information panels). Anyone determined enough can steal a show like the CWF as they lay out everything. If Newcon wasn't going to steal it, someone else would eventually. Why is it a deal when the same panel is at another con with a different staff?

TL:DR Panel ideas are not protected and with only a finite ideas amount ideas out there panels will be repeated in other places.
>>
This is the equivalent of "Someone stole my meme, can I sue them?".
>>
I'd say it's wrong if you steal and use the other person's resources (powerpoints, example diagrams, etc) and pass that work off as your own, but obviously there will always be duplicate panel concepts
>>
Duplicating a concept is not wrong, to duplicate the exact same shit it's not illegal either, but it will make you look like a loser.

In my country conventions are really shitty and the people in charge are too bothered making money to have basic ideas like a fanfic contest, when another conventions does this however and it works, they copy the idea with the exact same words and use their money to promote like their own because smaller conventions with goods ideas can't do it.

I wouldn't be so angry if this big conventions weren't such cheap pieces of shit and at least tried a little to improve on their own.
>>
Do you think there's a line between universal panel ideas and more original shows.

Now one cares if you see "How to sew" over and over again as the topic is so wide that its super possible for people to come up with the same idea.

However shows like the CWF are super specific (a wrestling promo contest with no wrestling) and its hard to believe that such idea would pop into someone's head out of the blue
>>
It's not wrong but you look like a dick
>>
>Waaaaah my panel is not a special snowflake!
>>
>>9402182
The only stealing that could possibly happen there is if CWF trademarked their name and newcon tried to use the same name or a similar enough name to confuse the trademark. Everything else is just butthurt whining. It's like a Marvel artist doing a live drawing panel and a DC artist doing the same thing next year and claiming the second one is theft or even needed to ask permission.
>>
>>9403795
Newcon did rip the CWF's application form and ruleset word for word. Is that enough cause to be angry?

Meanwhile you have to remember the idea that the CWF is a lot more specific than a drawing or a sewing panel. If anything the example would be that the Marvel artist did a "how to draw the X-Men Panel" and got mad because the DC artist also did a "How to draw X-men" panel.
>>
>>9403795
It also didn't help that Newcon actually approached the CWF creators and agreed to work together yet and went ahead and did it anyway without their involvement
>>
>>9403881
Maybe the fees asked were too high? It is what it is. It's like a cosplay photographer being butthurt when a cosplayer uses another photographer because they are cheaper, oh right, that exists, Sorry cosplay photographers LOL #SorryNotSorry
>>
>>9404919
How is that the same thing at all? If you really want to make your example work, it would be more like a cosplayer reaching out to a photog for work, and then pre-con the photog gives the cosplayer a bunch of ideas and layouts for what shots they want to take. The cosplayer then takes all of the layouts and has someone else shoot the ideas.

Aside from the dick move of ripping off an original idea, the biggest offense here is what >>9403847 said where Newcon literally stole the rules and app form with no shame.
>>
>>9404919
The CWF is frequently ran as a fan panel at all the other cons not to mention they are not heavily endorsed by any of the conventions they go to.

What this shows is the con pays zilch for the show.
>>
File: Untitled.png (246KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
246KB, 1920x1080px
For those who question the validity of the claims that Newcon stole from the CWF.

First here's the application form from the CWF which is is a rtf document. While you can easily edit the text to say anything you want please note the date of upload which is 2015.
>>
File: Untitled.png (163KB, 1920x1066px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
163KB, 1920x1066px
>>9405162
Then here's newcon's form which you can find here
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe3nUF_Dt5LOi54ggzeG5Mld6BaVYvrBKwiDqFovG1QYyIu-g/viewform

The two start out exactly the same but you can forgive that given how they're the same events. It's like how all masqurade forms ask for the same details.

However things get REALLY specific. Not only are the words the same but they even stole the capitalization.

TL:DR - Newcon stole the CWF's idea, rules and app form and did not even bother to tell them anything
>>
How much money was involved here?
I couldn't give a fuck for the idealogical purity of some dipshit's panel idea, but cash is a different story
>>
On a person-by-person basis, which side is the bigger dicks?
Is the con known to be stingy and skeezy? Are the performers known to be bigger assholes than Vig Mignoncock?
I don't watch Judge Judy for the legal details, and I'm not following this without jucier drama
>>
Nvm I found the other threads. This is so juicy it has to be fattening
>>
>>9405280
The con is WAAAAY sleezier
>>
>>9403795
So as long as a law was broken its wrong. What type of human are you. Its something called morality. They stole their idea word for word didnt even spin it.
You sound jew ish.
>>
>>9409848
In the creative field, people steal from one another all the time. If there's no copyright it's fair game
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.