[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AMKE - Anime Milwaukee

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 12

File: amke.png (1B, 486x500px)
amke.png
1B, 486x500px
Wanted to see if anyone else was going to Anime Milwaukee this year, and bonus question:

Was curious what its like/how big it is? Ive never been to an anime convention before and kinda nervous. (but excited!) sorry for blogging..
>>
I'm going with my bf and friends! On the site it says there were over 9000 people last year. I really like going to AMKE; it's not too big/small, has good game room, etc I guess the organization can be better but I don't go to the main events and stuff so I can't really say. One big drawback this year is that there's no maid cafe.
>>
My girlfriend and I will be going for the first time this year as well. I have always heard mixed things about the con, but with NBC being a garbage con now, looking for another Wisconsin cons to see friends in the spring.
>>
>>9345054
Thank you so much for the thoughtful and informative reply. I hope you, your bf, and friends have a good time!

>>9345305
I am not familiar with NBC but im just seriously happy I got any response without being flamed on 4ch. BUT, you said you heard mixed things. What are they? Sorry but you teased my curiosity.
>>
I'm attending for my 9th year in a row. I'll be going as Eiji Hino this year and I'm so bloody excited!!
>>
>>9344949
lurker Head Maid of HnY Maid Cafe here. Sorry, no more cafe guys, but we thank you for all the support!

Probably be about 10k or so attendees this year. I love the game room, and I'll be working the wonderful tabletop gaming room this year, I highly recommend it. When the Japanese department at the local university or the Embassy in Chicago gets involved in, say, panels, those are awesome.

There's a bar in the venue space at the top of the hotel for those 21 and over that's cool.

I'm not sure how the Rave will be this year. I don't know any of the DJs.

The con's run now by a lot of the same people who run Acen.
>>
>>9345655
NBC stands for No Brand Con in Eau Claire. I've never been there because nothing about the con draws me enough to make the 3 or 4 hour drive up there
>>9347066
DJ Amaya is coming to AMKE which makes me, a non-raver, actually excited to go for a bit! I hope to get his autograph or something If you're not familiar with him, I'd definitely recommend you to check him out.
>>
Meetup?
>>
This will be my 6th year this year. The con has slowly been getting bigger and bigger but I've never really noticed an issue with space both in terms of general crowds and places to pose/rest for cosplayers. The lines are almost non-existent for the side panels and even the main panels are pretty easy to get into. If you like the raves, I suggest going an hour or two after it starts for this one because that's when it really picks up. Don't put it off for too long though because it dies out at around 2am. The maid cafe has its own charm, but it's nothing special and because they don't have certain licensing, they aren't able to serve any real food. It's a little expensive if that's a concern for you, but if you just want to take a break and get a quick snack/coffee/tea, it's a fun little thing to do. The game room is pretty open and they have a lot of options on the same level as a mid to large size con.
As for food outside the hotel, I'm not sure if it will be snowing or not, so that could be an issue for you getting to and from local dive bars and pubs if you want to go out to eat. There are a few nicer places by as well as the generic fast food in the mall connected by a skywalk, delivery pizza that's probably going to end up being late, and the typical $12 burger sit down chains. If there's anything else you want to know, feel free to ask.
>>
>>9344949
Debating going. It would be the first con I ever go to. Friends seemed interested but don't think they want to spend $45. I might even if that just means walking alone by myself
>>
>>9347734
DJ Amaya

well damn. I wasn't planning on going because it's not my scene, but I love his shit. Still not sure if it's worth the pass money just to go to the rave though. It is still amke...
>>
>>9349438
I heard that there were gonna be food trucks around this year. I wonder what the Milwaukee food truck scene is like
>>9349309
I would love to go to a meetup! Never been to one before
>>
>>9349701
There tends to be a lot of Mexican food trucks in West and south milwaukee, so I'm guessing at least some of those will be there. Don't forget that there is a slight risk to food trucks with sanitary issues and whatnot.
>>
Me and my best friends are going. I went last year but only stayed for one day. I'd like to have a meetup, I've never been to one either
>>
>>9349438
George Webb's across the street, and a convenience store.
>>
>>9350703

Gorge Webbs gets and stays pretty packed most of the weekend. Went to it two times during AMKEs and had to wait 1 and a half hours after ordering and pay for food upfront because they're afraid people will dine and dash. That's not including wait time to be seated. I do not reccomend that restaurant at all.
>>
>>9350703
George Webb is terrible! It's so not worth the wait and it's packed even into the night. I rather walk a little more to the Subway or pay more at the King and I.

Is the panel schedule out yet?
>>
I've gone to many anime conventions in my day but have been too busy to go in the last few years with college and work and all. I don't cosplay anymore but I would be interested in going to a meetup to meet some fellow MKE anons.

Does 4PM on Saturday sound good? I don't know any good meet spots anymore (haven't been to the Wisconsin center in years) but hopefully someone could choose a spot. Maybe in the lobby area NW of 4th and Wisconsin?
>>
>>9351592
I'll be working in the tabletop gaming room and actually might be attending a photoshoot at that time, but I'll keep up with cgl to see what's going on. So far this seems like a good idea! It will be nice to meet everyone!
>>
>>9344949
Just a reminder that registration will be on the 3rd floor this year along with artist alley & the vendor room! Video game room and main programming is in the WI center too.

Fashion show with Mint Neko is going to be Saturday morning at 11-12 with a Q&A with MINT NEKO after the show from 11:30-12 (taken fr fb)

For food, if you go to Grand Avenue across the street during business hours (closes 7pm Fri, 6pm Sat, 5pm Sun) and show your badge at the food court, I think you might get a discount (not 100% sure)? If you're coming from the WI center, you can take a shortcut thru boston store to get inside the mall. There's also a Vietnamese restaurant nearby called Xankia (bubble tea, pho, banh mi sandwiches) that also has a 10% discount if you show your college id. There's also Mader's (a German beer hall esque restaurant) that's like a 5 minute walk from the Hyatt.
>>
>>9352254
also schedule is available on their website! http://animemilwaukee.org/schedule/
>>
>>9351592
If it's at 4pm, I may only be able to stay for about an hour or so because I'm supposed to chaperone my younger cousin (babby's first con).
>>9353478
Hooray for the schedule being out! I'm a little mad that my panel was moved to a later time than on the tentative schedule. Now I actually have to prepare something nice...
>>
>>9353478

The mobil schedule is looking pretty gross. What happened to the traditional spreadsheet most conventions do?
>>
>>9345305
>>9347734
No Brand's in the Dells now so the drive is way shorter. Different people running it too so its back to being a fun casual/smaller/cheaper con IMO
>>
What does the hotel space look like?
>>
>>9355049

Not sure what you mean. If you're asking about the gathering/panel space, there'should two floors. The bottom floor has a few rooms in a corner in the back and some open meeting/standing room near the front counter. The second floor is shaped in a square with rooms scattered on the outside of the square and a view to look down at the first floor in the middle. If you mean rooms, kinda small with a small fridge(?) and a sitting desk. Trying to squeeze people in is pretty tough and any more than 2 extra is pretty rough.
>>
>>9349621
Amaya and apparently a old school house DJ that went that out and spun at AX this year? So thats kind of exciting. After the jeffito garbage I'm gettig kind of excited and I might actually go and stay for more than five minutes this year.
>>
So any meet up? This will be my first con and i'm going alone, would enjoy meeting some fellow anime fans/weekend drinking buddies.
>>
>>9349438
thanks dude. The maid cafe is done probably because of choads like you.
>>
>>9356310

What the fuck does that mean? I didn't say anything super negative about it and even reccomended it as a quick pit stop. It weird that they killed it though considering they still are doing the bar at night in the same space.
>>
>>9356387
the maid cafe ended because the hyatt implemented a new food & beverage policy when the redid the polaris into the vue, therefore the maid cafe chose to close down than go through the hotel catering food choices.
>>
>>9356764

Hmm. I would definitely pay more money to get real food served by the maids, but that would have meant health code shit and I know that would have been impossible. If only there were a maid cafe that sold real food instead of cookies and ice cream.
>>
>>9356779
>if only everything in life catered to me boohoo
>>
>>9357142

I still went every year and bought something. I'm sad to hear it closed down because that was a stop for me and my friends at some point in the weekend every year. I'm not sure why you seem so angry at my statements about it. I understand most maid cafes won't be able to serve real food and am ok with that. It's not like I petitioned for it to be shut down or was one of those shits who sat up their all day ordering a tea every two hours.
>>
Ah sorry to hear about the maid cafe closing down, I went to amke for the first time last year and went in with a friend and it was cute, a lot of the maids complimented my coord and where just sweethearts. Im excited to be going for more than one day this year.
>>
So who's cosplaying what?
>>
>>9354190
They'll have the traditional spreadsheets as well. They were posted on the fb page and hopefully that means they'll have printouts as well.
>>
>>9358215
>>
>>9358215

Good to hear! Thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>9358161
I will be cosplaying Nico from LL and Sheryl Nome from Macross F ...not sure which one I want to wear first
>>
>>9358161
I'll be coording but tonight is the last minute panic of what to pack and wear I got a new JSK this week but the fucking zipper got caught and I have to see if I can fix it. Friday I'll be late and in jeans prolly
>>
First time going to a con since moving to WI. Normally go to stuff like Katsu, Ota MAG. What's it like? Fun?

Anyone doing a /cgl meetup? Would be cool to make new friends here. Not cosplaying sadly but always down to chill
>>
File: IMG_20170110_131443.jpg (106KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170110_131443.jpg
106KB, 720x720px
I'm on staff from out of state. Where can I buy alcohol here? I'm so bored.
>>
>>9359471
Can't buy alcohol at a store between 9pm - 6am (get smashed at any of the nearby bars though)
>>
>>9359481
You're joking. D:
What is this state??
>>
>>9359369
Every question has been answered in the thread
>>
>>9359369
Lurk the thread.

Same here, though. Would totally go to a meetup and chill if I wasn't going with friends.
>>
>>9359502

A state that has made way too many DUI choices.
>>
>>9359515
Is anyone going out tonight then?
>>
File: area.png (59KB, 578x746px) Image search: [Google]
area.png
59KB, 578x746px
>>9351592
>meetup
Let's plan on 4PM on Saturday in the lobby area NW of 4th and Wisconsin. If other times work for other people please reply and we can form some sort of consensus.
>>
>>9359536
You'd need to go to bars past 9 pm to get alcohol.
>>
>>9360266
Sounds good to me!
>>
I'm heading down after my morning shift. Any ideas on how bad onsite reg will be?
>>
I heard there was drama already.. apparently the head of 18+ paneling was taking money from panel goers for them to come up during the "bad hentai dubbing" and have a chance at dubbing. And I know for a fact this is the guy who is in a crazy polyamorous relationship with two women
>>
>>9360779
It was pretty smooth this year, it's on 3rd floor convention center
>>
>>9360803
I heard it was donations for charity
>>
>>9360803
JUICY
>>
>>9360266
Visitors from /trv/ OK, or gulls only?
>>
>>9360819
Anyone's fine, just don't be super autistic
>>
There were a bunch of AMKE staff running up to a room on the 9th floor of the hyatt. Anyone got deets?
>>
Never been to a con meetup. What do?
>>
Nobody has a sign or anything? I have a donut purse.
>>
Noone was there at like 410. Should we come back?
>>
>>9361285
Good luck donut-chan!
>>
>>9361293
Where are you now, I could meet wherever.
>>
>>9361298
Coming back, what should we look for?
>>
Donut-chan and Miss Kimono have met up at the bench at the NW entrance of the Center. Bring your friends!
>>
>>9361309
Missed the meetup but I'll be around later tonight. I'll just keep an eye on the thread so please post where you're hanging out!
>>
>>9361322
Donut and Kimono are having a good time so I'm hoping to get more pictures in with more of you.
>>
My friend was too nervous to go up to you, so me and her are going to the Hyatt bar if you want to hang out donut and kimono. No cosplay but the guy in the rainbow dash shirt and the girl in the flcl shirt will be at the bar.
>>
Please someone make a dinner meetup before I have to hang out with my Rhythm game friend and his Rhythm game friends for dinner
>>
We showed up too but didn't know who was part of the meet up. We thought about making a sign but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Anyone want to meet up tonight yet?
>>
Am I okay to post a picture of Donut and Kimono?
>>
Any good cosplay?
>>
File: IMG_1090.jpg (719KB, 1728x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1090.jpg
719KB, 1728x2592px
>>9362465

No not really, but after taking this person's picture, my PC looks a little cuter to me.
>>
File: IMG_1096.jpg (773KB, 1248x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1096.jpg
773KB, 1248x2592px
I wanted to try and factor the lighting in with her parasol. Not sure if she was actually cosplaying anyone though.
>>
File: IMG_1084.jpg (576KB, 1231x2172px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1084.jpg
576KB, 1231x2172px
I wanted more people to get really into their poses but I'm just a novice trying to get some /p/ractice.
>>
File: IMG_1116.jpg (703KB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1116.jpg
703KB, 2592x1728px
Last one. I think this is a professional cosplay family or something. The little Sakura was pretty adorable and actually did a hadoken pose.
>>
I know this is a longshot, but there was an artist in AA that was selling these really well done pieces of art and also selling them for $50 on rubber playmats. I grabbed their card, but I left my bag in the hotel room with that and my goddamn girl scout cookies.

I don't suppose anyone knows their website/has a card or something to point me in the right direction?
>>
people get a real job instead of playing into delusion
>>
>>9360803
He got in super trouble by the con and had to do a garbage half assed apology saturday night for it lmao.

It would have been a fun panel if they had played more than five 30 second clips. Kind of a trainwreck but not in the fun way I was expecting for my first panel like this.
>>
>>9362650
I have a list of all the vendors if you want to dig through that. I dunno if hyatt would keep cookies since they can go bad but whatever.
>>
File: amke.png (211KB, 1214x913px) Image search: [Google]
amke.png
211KB, 1214x913px
>>9362650
>>9362726
postan anyways
>>
>>9362650
Any particular examples? was it the artist with mcree'Save a horse ride a cowboy' body pillow/prints? I can't remember if there was mousepads
>>
>>9362728

I'm pretty sure the artist they were looking for had the Yakuza Yuyu Hakusho post as they had a bunch of playmats for sale as well. I know that that booth was on the bottom end of the artist alley, so I'm guessing row B, C, or D at the bottom. Otherwise I think there was one more person doing playmatso, but I don't remember where they were.
>>
>>9362860
>>9362860

Might be the zzyzzyy group. You can find them on Deviant Art or a quick google search
>>
Anybody have feedback on the con?

It seemed super dead this year since they moved the vendor room and artist alley to the first floor and video game room to a corner of the con. I didn't have a chance to go to any panels, but I heard they were kinda lackluster and the autograph lines were hellish.
>>
>>9363142
I actually really liked it this year. Felt less cramped then last year. But I did skip out on panels/autographs
>>
>>9363142

All the panels I went to (not too many and all not main panels) were reasonably full and like past years, there was plenty of space for rest if needed. The bigger game room helped with the heat that built up last year there but the small bar with expensive liquor and one tender in the sky lounge was terrible. Went on Friday and waited forever to get anything and decided to skip it on Saturday. The rave seemed a little less packed than usual but the game room had a little more to offer this year. Didn't really have any issues with staff this year like I did the last few. The placement of the deal hall, artist alley, and reg was great. It made sure that there was plenty of room to move around in the hall/AA and kept people from crowding up the usually busy hallways on the first floor by the panels after they would get out of the dealer hall and look at all their junk by the exit. I think this year was better than the last few (other than maid cafe and the disappointment that was for personal reasons rather than con fault) and hope that they keep it pretty close to what they did this year. The only negative I really had was the lack of late night board game room and late night panels (1am +).
>>
>>9363142
Things definitely felt less crowded but that doesn't mean it's dead. I liked that they moved the vendor hall and registration to the top floor because that made room for the food stalls, which were really nice. I don't have much of an opinion on panels because I don't really go to those but the game room was nice as usual. I felt a little bad for hogging Dance Evolution for most of the convention.
>>
any good cosplays this year?
>>
File: LusamineAMKE.jpg (98KB, 563x1000px) Image search: [Google]
LusamineAMKE.jpg
98KB, 563x1000px
>>9367469
This one.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.