[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cons that do everything right but that are still dull

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1418940946-sacanime_tickets_2.jpg (323KB, 920x520px) Image search: [Google]
1418940946-sacanime_tickets_2.jpg
323KB, 920x520px
>Great guests
>Ran on time
>Schedule laid out for fan gatherings
>Panels content has been dramatically improved and more content is offered outside of basic lecture stuff
>Pretty good party scene

Still boring to go to. This con checks off all the boxes for me yet I can't find myself enjoying it a lot as others
>>
I feel that way about the one I hope I can go to this spring. I'm like that a lot of the time not just with cons. :(
>>
>>9318295
I've been going to Sac as an artist ever since they moved to the convention center, I feel the same way as well. I almost want to say that it's dampened by the city itself, stuff to do in the area is quite sparse, and it also feels like the crowd is a lot younger. The surrounding area feels like it's really empty with places to eat kind of scattered about as well as the main road kind of being dilapidated. Also the con center isn't very large and there is only one large hall in use for the dealer's/artists, so everything else is either crammed upstairs or offsite.
>>
I had some issues with staff communication at the event.
It seemed like I could get four different answers to the same question and then, acting on what I'm told, still be wrong.
Also; why is Sac anime's swap meet called a swap meet when you can't just show up with stuff? It seemed like a lot of the staff was selling their stuff there and because you couldn't bring things with you to trade, there were more buyers then sellers by leaps and bounds.
>>
Terrible location. Kiddos flock to it because they can't afford going to better cons besides Fanime and adults avoid it because Sacramento. Not enough else there and too far a drive to justify a day trip like Krakencon. Not enough happening to justify a longer drive from other parts of CA. Part of why Fanime still exists despite shit staff decisions is the location.
>>
>>9318578
Speaking of the kiddies; there was an LGBTQ panel that was really vocal about being a "safe space" as people came in to take their seats and then they proceeded to take pictures of the audience to post online. At least a handful of people at the panel were in the closet and considering they weren't carding people to enter the room; I think saying a panel is a "safe space" while taking pictures of under-aged queer kids is... concerning? Sac proper isn't so closed minded, but in the valley people still get harassed for being out or just suspected. I've known at least two people get kicked out of their house for parents finding "evidence" that they could be gay on social media.
>>
>>9318570
>Also; why is Sac anime's swap meet called a swap meet when you can't just show up with stuff?

Don't you need to register beforehand?
>>
>>9318677
This infuriates me. For reference, I run a bunch of campus queer events at a pretty liberal university and no way in hell do we post photos anywhere without express permission, even though everyone is pretty much of age, out, and living in a gay mecca. I feel like this is queer etiquette 101- what kind of bubble do those hosts even live in?
>>
>Cons that do everything right
>Sac-anime

The guests are the ONLY thing on that list that's right
>>
>>9319598
According to what I know, a very small one.
>>
>>9319085
It also costs money.
>>
>>9319598
From what I could tell the panel hosts seemed to be acting with the best of intentions, meaning they didn't seem to understand this could be an issue. They made a hashtag for the panel and also recorded it; asking for audience participation and input throughout the presentation. While the event was relatively informative, the fact they were also going to then take this video recording and throw it online right after made me feel uncomfortable. I wanted to ask questions, but I didn't want to be identified on camera, in photos or be found out on social media.

>>9319935
Definately got the vibe the hosts weren't aware of the political climate of the local area. I have no idea where they were from, but they didn't seem to understand why attendees might feel intimidated about asking questions.
>>
>>9319652
Everything else is true.

It's just sac anime is bad due to the attendees. However how can the con fix this if they've improve on everything else?
>>
>>9322272
I wonder if they could put in more "adult" programming to encourage an older crowd to come. I don't mean like, hentai shit, but, I dunno, 21+ events, 18+ events or even incentives with nearby places. Sac has a pretty decent drinking culture downtown, and a lot of pretty good bars and stuff aren't that far away (even though Sac can be shady as shit) so maybe if they encouraged more older people with like, I dunno, "SacAnime specials" with nearby businesses, they could get the ball rolling towards bringing in older attendees.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.