[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wardrobe thread!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12

File: capsule classic.jpg (48KB, 435x640px) Image search: [Google]
capsule classic.jpg
48KB, 435x640px
A wardrobe thread for all j-fashions!

Post items you're trying to match, styles you want to get into and help other seagulls build the basics.

Some questions to get the thread going:
What styles do you like?
What style would you like to wear or currently wear?
What basic items do you swear by?
Do you like the idea of a capsule wardrobe or have one already?
Quality or quantity?

Info on capsule wardrobes:
www.un-fancy.com/capsule-experiment

Wardrobe planner:
www.un-fancy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/capsuleplanner.pdf
>>
File: muskrat jaw earrings.jpg (87KB, 570x660px) Image search: [Google]
muskrat jaw earrings.jpg
87KB, 570x660px
>What styles do you like?
Lolita, otome, larme and if art teacher-kei was a thing
>What style would you like to wear or currently wear?
Currently have a lolita and otome wardrobe that I haven't touched in over a year. Looking at trying out larme as it seems more day-to-day friendly (plus living in a hot, humid climate has really worn me down) but looking professional/finishing my degree is making me second guess my buying atm.
>What basic items do you swear by?
-Long dresses made by any of the lolita brands and JM, basic tea length petticoat
-Good leather shoes and bags
-Unique or antique jewelery- pic related
>Do you like the idea of a capsule wardrobe or have one already?
I want to make one and made this thread so I can find out what problems people have had whilst building one.
>Quality or quantity?
Used to be quantity but since Marie Kondo-ing my apartment, I'm looking at moving to quality
>>
File: 1480372823358.jpg (123KB, 500x690px) Image search: [Google]
1480372823358.jpg
123KB, 500x690px
Posting some pics and inspo

Just multiple items worn in different ways
>>
>>9290293
>>
File: tumblr_mxx3brDyc71qdm8nso1_500.jpg (104KB, 500x349px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mxx3brDyc71qdm8nso1_500.jpg
104KB, 500x349px
>>9290294
gyaru wardrobe
>>
>>9290284
1) gothic 2) oldschool 3) sweet-classic 4) dark classic
>What styles do you currently wear?
1) oldschool 2) dark classic 3) gothic 4) sweet-classic
Price and availability dictates what I have the most of. It's not really that I own stuff I don't like, I've just knocked the cheaper things off my wishlist faster.
I like headdresses of all kinds with everything, much more than bows.
I stick strictly to a capsule wardrobe for normal clothes to save space and money for lolita, but I can't imagine ever having a capsule lolita wardrobe - I wouldn't find it fulfilling. Sometimes I find it helps organization to consider each (sub)substyle in my wardrobe a different capsule wardrobe, so I can see what's cohesive and where I'm missing stuff. The oldschool stuff I own doesn't really match any of the other stuff so I treat it as a capsule of itself. I sometimes think about starting capsules for mori girl, fairy kei and so on but I don't really like the styles enough to spend on them when I could spend on lolita.
>Quality or quantity?
I strive for both.
>>
>>9290291
>I want to make one and made this thread so I can find out what problems people have had whilst building one.
The biggest problem I had when I was really into capsule wardrobes was maintaining it. You get to a point where you have really strong ideas about what colours suit you, what shapes are flattering for your body type, etc, so you pick six or eight colours you like that go well together and build a wardrobe around that...and then the trends change, and suddenly a bunch of your clothes have worn out but there's nothing in the right colour in stores to replace it with. This is basically a non-issue with lolita because it's so matchy and the second-hand market exists, but it's a big problem with mainstream fashion, and, to a lesser extent, with trying to bulk out a jfash wardrobe with mainstream trend pieces. Pinks are the worst - pink keeps coming on trend, but always in a salmony sort of shade that doesn't suit me at all compared to rose, and doesn't match the sort of pinks used in lolita and fairy kei.

You need to pick one or two colours that are guaranteed to come around every year, and accept that some years your wardrobe isn't going to grow much. I used to try to get around it by having a lot of all-black outfits in my wardrobe, since black is perennial in mainstream fashion and I could usually find stuff to my taste by shopping for goth stuff online even if I couldn't find things I liked in the shops, but I'm slowly coming to realise that black is actually not a flattering colour on me. I never intended to box myself into a corner of having half my wardrobe be something I can't wear without make-up or I look horribly washed out, but I don't want to quit goth so I guess I'm stuck with it.
>>
> What styles do you like?
Too many to list. Several types of goth, several types of lolita and jfashion.
> What style do you currently wear?
Lolita, goth, normalfag inspired by goth/with goth items.
> What basic items do you swear by?
For lolita, brand blouses. Especially if you want a capsule wardrobe, since they touch your skin all the time and that can make you feel super uncomfortable if they're cheap. For normie wear, high waisted skinny jeans and skater dresses because I'm a tall hourglass.
> Do you like the idea of a capsule wardrobe or already have one?
Capsule wardrobes are great and I've had one since I bought my first own clothes. I didn't even know it was a thing, I just figured out it was a smart way of buying clothes. I'm not into the minimalist aspect of it since I fucking love clothes and I can afford it, but I still coordinate and buy in a capsule way. I just have more capsules (oldschool punky-sweet lolita capsule, oldschool velvet lolita capsule, classic wine-purple-rose lolita capsule, pvc/cybergoth capsule, le edgy tumblrgoth capsule, etc) and the less I wear a style, the smaller the capsule is. So my normalfag is the biggest one and my pvc/cyber the smallest (about 15 items, counting in accessories)
> Quality or quantity?
Both if you have the money, but quality is always preferred, especially if you start a new style. I don't get the "start with cheap pieces to see if you like the style and then buy better stuff"-approach. That's only okay for teenagers who just want to be kawaii/goff/whatever and don't have any idea about actual clothes. I would've never gotten into Lolita if I started out with bodyline or taobao since wearing it I feel okay-ish and slightly costumey but while wearing brand I just feel great. The materials and construction are amazing and definitely worth the money, especially blouses. If I was a poorfag I'd buy a brand blouse and offbrand dress tbqfh.
>>
File: Heavenly.jpg (29KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Heavenly.jpg
29KB, 600x800px
Lolita first and foremost. I also like otome, larme, fairy kei, generally anything excessively girly.
I wear sweet lolita, I'd like to try some other fashions as well but for now I'm focusing my finances on my lolita wardrobe. I think I'd like to try classic sometime soon. I also really like nun dresses.
A petticoat made specifically for lolita, especially for the cupcake silhouette. I've got one A line and one cupcake petti, and when I want huge poof I stack those together, but that's it. I never have to stack pettis to get the right volume or shape for regular wear. I just throw one on and I'm ready to go. I imagine it's far more comfortable anyway considering how many layers are already involved in wearing this shit. It's a worthwhile investment.
I might consider one for fairy kei since some of my lolita items overlap into that fashion.
>Quality or quantity?
Quality first. Always. I'd rather have the small wardrobe of brand I currently have than a huge wardrobe of meh taobao stuff. I can never bring myself to buy anything mid range because it just feels like taking money away a better quality purchase.
>>
Casual classic (not ott classic) and oldschool Lolita, larme, vintage inspired, preppy. Things that are cute but wearable. Enough to catch someone's eye but not so much I feel like an alien.

Larme, preppy, or vintage inspired most days, or some combo of the three.

I'm really into ribbed turtle-necks for winter. Velvet camis/bustiers for layering. Tulle skirts. Simple and classic long chain necklaces and chokers. Pearl earrings.

I'm scared to death of it but also love the idea of a cleaner closet and less laundry. Honestly laundry is a huge problem for me, I let clothes stay dirty so long that I forget I have them, or I'll put off wearing clothes I love because they have tedious care instructions. So yeah. I will hopefully be moving within the next few months so maybe when that happens I'll try to make my daily clothes (not Lolita) into a capsule...

Quality or quantity?
Honestly I'm currently in the quantity stage. Especially with larme I see so many new trends I like and I scoop up applicable piece from Aliexpress, second hand sites, thrift stores, forever21 like no one's business. I kind of hate repeating outfits and love incorporating new clothes into my daily style. But it's getting to be a little much.
>>
>>9290284
What styles do you like?
Classic, sweet, country lolita and otome
What style would you like to wear or currently wear?
Lolita, otome
Small barrettes and cardigans
I like the idea of this but I'm far too eclectic with my tastes for it to work
Quality or quantity?
100% quality. Used to care about quantity and "matchiness" but now I buy nice things and they fit in to my wardrobe, or they don't.
>>
File: tumblr_oia0b1tktt1vfvbyl_og_540.jpg (76KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oia0b1tktt1vfvbyl_og_540.jpg
76KB, 540x540px
Himekaji and Larme
See above. (I do like other styles too but don't have a huge desire to wear them much myself too much)
For winter, mock neck ribbed shirts are so good, they're casual and comfy but also have an elegant cute feeling to them especially if you add cute accents!
I love the idea and I'm building mine up.
>Quality or quantity?
Probably a mix of both. If you have only cheap items you won't be able to achieve the look you're striving for, but if you only ever buy brand you'll build up your wardrobe so slowly that your tastes could totally change before you even have a chance to wear any of it in your daily life. Plus, for daily wear it's nice to have a mix of brand items that need to be handled and washed carefully and throwaway pieces that aren't so sacred, as long as they still fit well with and compliment your brand pieces.

pic related is the himekaji/larme inspired capsule wardrobe that I'm working on for the winter. I've got 25 main pieces at the moment.
Things I need advice on:

>long skirts
I think these would be great to have more of in a winter wardrobe but I don't know what to do about it in a himekaji wardrobe. Seems like Liz Lisa is all about the legs.

>tall boots
I'm trying to toe the balance and find a pair that's both gyaru enough to fit himekaji outfits and mature enough to fit larme outfits.

>bags/purses
I'm thinking of making one of those lasagna tote bags. I also definitely need a cute everyday purse but unfortunately I doubt if my budget will allow for an expensive purse this year. Maybe in the spring or summer once the rest of my wardrobe is more padded out I can justify it... in the mean time I'd love to figure out some cheaper solutions, maybe adding bows or frills to some purses I already own?
>>
>>9290284
>posting unfancy & not into-mind.com

come on, anon! got to link the wardrobe building bible.

lolita (all substyles, esp classic), roma and onee gyaru, himekaji, mori
classic (occasionally tinged with gothic or sweet) and otome (with lots of himekaji & roma gyaru themes)
quality purses and coats that fit your style perfectly-you are using them every day! don't accept substitutes!
I'm a massive slut for capsule wardrobes... it's almost a problem at this point (almost)
>Quality or quantity?
quality!!!! all day every day

I've been considering starting a Jfashion wardrobe building blog since I've been obsessed with good wardrobe building for years... it would cover topics like making pallets, picking out pieces, building capsules (if you're into that), budgeting & shopping, disecting elements of certain styles, etc....would anyone be interested in reading that?
>>
>>9290284
classic, otome, mori/natural, dolly, himekaji
mostly otome and mori, occasional classic. want to get into dolly
socks, cardigans, tights, cutsews
I have one for my normalfag clothes, sort of. Not keen on it for jfash
>Quality or quantity?
quality first, but if there's something I really like I'll usually end up getting it. Given that I'm picky about designs and quality that's enough of a limiter that it doesn't get out of hand. Plus I don't have the inclination to buy things just because it's on sale - if I jump on a sale it means that I've been thinking about or looking at it for a while already
>>
>>9290619
>Honestly laundry is a huge problem for me, I let clothes stay dirty so long that I forget I have them, or I'll put off wearing clothes I love because they have tedious care instructions.
Have you tried pre-sorting? It made my laundry so much easier. I have separate baskets for normal darks / reds / whites, and then one for sheets and towels and one for delicate stuff. If the majority of your wardrobe doesn't have delicate care instructions it saves a lot of time - just dump a whole basket into the machine whenever you have enough for a full load. If you have to use a laundrette instead of a machine at home, use giant tote bags instead of baskets so you can just pick it up and go.

If you keep running out of clean stuff to wear despite having a large wardrobe the balance of colour in your wardrobe might be off - if you have one colour group only in small amounts, especially if it's something like underwear, you might never be building up enough to get a full load of it and therefore putting off washing it way longer than you should.
>>
>>9290446
Curious to know what brands have the best blouses according to you? I'm a gothic lolita but have so far bought all my blouses from Innocent World because the L fits me perfectly and I'm worried about sizing because hourglass figure, but I want to branch out
>>
Can anyone give me a link to a simple pleated skirt (no tennis skirts) in pastel pink that is 'cool' toned? I have many pink sweaters and shirts, but the skirt I bought ended up being a 'warm' tone of pastel pink, and it's honestly jarring. I use a notebook. The colors on my monitor are completely off I've realized so it's hard to pick something.
>>
>I'm sorry for blog post.

I like lolita, but I don't own any. I just admire the abundance of pretty outfits. I'm also fond of gyaru, particularly the hair, nails, and makeup associated with the hostess girls and Ageha. I loved looking at the magazine scans back in high school. I love menhera/gurokawa because it's really dark. I have somewhat darker tastes when it comes to art, movies, music, and the ilk. I've always liked medical motifs. After all, I'm interested in the medical field.
I'm currently building a menhera wardrobe; I like both yumekawaii and yamikawaii equally. I'd like to one day buy a gothic lolita outfit to wear maybe once a month, maybe sweet... but not OTT. I'm not so fond of wearing blouses so I'd have to find a cute cutsew if I ever did. (I think gothic would suit me better. I'm older.)
I like pleated skirts because they look very sharp. My other staple is a big (faux) furry jacket for spring, fall, and winter because the weather here is retarded mountain weather.
I had to look up 'capsule wardrobe'. I'd say that describes my whole wardrobe because I'm just starting out (September). I currently have 13 items of clothing I rotate, and 10 accessories. Slow, but steady; I'll get to a big wardrobe one day soon.
>Quality or quantity?
I prefer quality. I'll gladly pay extra for a unique print or a reputable brand.
>>
>>9290877
My philosophy is that the best way to do your laundry is whatever way you'll actually do it. All my Liz Lisa says to hand wash only- even the t shirts. But I know myself and I know that I wear a lot of Liz Lisa and that I'm never going to get around to hand washing all those clothes, so I cheat and put them inside out in lingerie bags and use the "delicate/handwash" setting on my machine. Sure, I'm sure that the prints will wear out faster this way, but it's worth it to me since otherwise I've found I just don't wear them.

Also separating colors isn't always necessary if you're not using bleach. I do a light and dark still mainly because I don't want my jeans in with my delicates, but every now and then I'll throw a white T-shirt I don't care too much about in with the darks just to see and so far nothing has ever bled for me. I recently bought a handful of delicate darks and I'm praying they don't bleed because I don't want to have to do a separate load just for those...
>>
>>9290622
For the long length himekaji style skirts that also work with larme - try tulle skirts in white or blush. The Liz Lisa tumblog has a tag just for longer skirts that might interest you.
For the boots, are you thinking OTK? I feel like I rarely see those in larme but if you want it to work for both, definitely look for a neutral color (beige or light pink maybe). I think black OTK might be too vampy for himekaji and too sexy in the wrong way for larme.
>>
>>9290912
Black tends to bleed more when it's new black but old black is often okay in mixed loads, it's red that you really have to watch out for. When I was living at home I had a lot of white socks and panties find their way into the red wash by accident (since they're small enough to get hidden in the folds of a garment and my mom didn't pre-sort) and end up getting dyed an obvious pale pink colour, but anything that ended up with a greyish cast usually only had it happen very subtly and just looked faded rather than actually grey.

Colour sorting seems like such a contentious issue, about half the people I talk to tell me it's a waste of time and the other half insist it's essential. In my own experience, whenever I've mixed loads I've ended up with stuff looking dingy, and I've noticed that one of the guys I live with who uses the same washing powder as me but does mixed loads ends up with his light-coloured stuff getting dingier over time. He recently used a new detergent marked for whites in a mixed load without checking and had all the white parts of stuff in that load turn greyish, but I used the same laundry liquid on an all-black and all-red loads when I'd run out of powder and couldn't see any fading. I'm not fussy about insisting light pyjamas go in the white load since nobody sees them, and consequently all my cotton pyjamas have ended up with colour changes from being put in the red wash occasionally. Obviously it depends what material makes up most of your wardrobe as well, since I've never had colour transfer onto fleece at all. For me, it's better safe than sorry - I'd rather take the trouble to sort than forget I had a new red shirt and end up with a load of stuff ruined.

>>9290912
>My philosophy is that the best way to do your laundry is whatever way you'll actually do it.
Got to agree with this though. I machine-wash a lot of my lolita stuff on gentle for the same reason.
>>
Sweet lolita, amekaji gyaru, agejo gyaru, himekaji
I wear amekaji or himekaji daily and agejo for date nights/special occasions. Lolita whenever I feel like it, have a meet up, or convention. I really want to try menhera, fairy kei, and gothic lolita.
Blouses/cutsews, shoes, and bags.
I have one for lolita, I only have 6 main pieces, 1 cutsew, 2 parkas, 7 pairs of socks, 4 bags, and one pair of shoes. I make it all work. For gyaru, I have a decent amount of clothing but I sometimes work in some of my normiefag clothing.
>Quality or quantity?
Quality, regardless. It's better to have a few nice pieces that work together with your wardrobe than a lot of main pieces that are shit tier quality.
>>
>>9290998
>>9290912
>>9290877
I really do need to get more laundry baskets, especially to sort out whites and delicates and to make it easier to find what clothes specifically I want to wash.
I do sometimes wash handwash only stuff in the machine but even then, I think of it like "this is bad for it, shouldn't do it often, so I shouldn't wear it so often if this is how I'm gonna wash it". I've started checking washing instructions before I buy now, but sometimes it's not enough to dissuade me haha.
Thank you for the suggestions and different laundry povs though!
>>
>>9290998
for what it's worth I've never had an issue with bleeding, but most of my clothing comes used or from a thrift store and I despise the color red, so that might explain why I've never had a problem with bleeding.
>>
File: normie-core.png (732KB, 654x968px) Image search: [Google]
normie-core.png
732KB, 654x968px
>>9290315
>but I don't want to quit goth
I can totally relate to this statement.

For me, living in a hot, humid state (resulting in permanent red sweaty tomato face) I'm moving towards this color palette for my normie/work wardrobe but adding gold and bone based jewelry into the mix to keep my creepy, kooky side happy.

Thanks for the tips in the capsule wardrobe, it was really help full for me
>>
Sweet and classic, but I mostly wear sweet right now.
I'd like more classic items. But I put on weight and finding classic items that fit my tastes that also fit me is getting hard. Maybe I'll return to it when I get back to my old weight.
Boleros, I love them.
Not really my thing. I like to mix things up and I'm always adding new colors and themes to my wardrobe. This isn't just a fashion but a collecting hobby for me too. Can't really do the minimalist thing with this fashion, it would take the fun out of it for me.
>Quality or quantity?
Both? But if I had to cut down, I'd go with Quality.
>>
>>9290315
>and then trends change
t b h this is the worst part about capsuling for mainstream fashion. everyone is in hypertrend fast-fashion mode, and you are stuck waiting for things to flip in order to find a single shirt in a color you like. I've found capsules far easier for things like jfashion for the reasons anon listed. if you do try to do it for normie fashion be prepared to spend a lot of time in thrift stores...

personally I hit my stride when I made a small lolita capsule and two medium otome and normie capsules that compliment each other and can be mixed for toned down otome looks. I picked classic colors like black, tan, ivory, wine and blush which come around at least every year or two without fail.

>mfw my first mainstream capsule had mustard and navy as its main colors
>mfw next year was hell trying to replace 2 shirts
>>
>>9291616
>>9291520
How do I into normie clothes? Over the years I've completely worked normalfag clothing out of my closet. I pretty much stuck with the whole 'only buy things you really love' mantra and now my entire wardrobe is black and moderately frilly. I also own no jeans, exclusively skirts and dresses. This was never a problem in high school/uni but I dropped out due to personal reasons and have to find a job soon. I don't have the money for a new wardrobe but I'm afraid no one's gonna hire me for low level shit if I look weird and have 0 qualifications. What can I do?
>>
>>9291628
Look up articles on building a work wardrobe, plenty of normies are in the same situation because their closet is all jeans and tees and most jobs want business casual as a minimum at interviews, even jobs which have no dress code.
>>
>>9290446
> I just have more capsules (oldschool punky-sweet lolita capsule, oldschool velvet lolita capsule, classic wine-purple-rose lolita capsule, pvc/cybergoth capsule, le edgy tumblrgoth capsule, etc) and the less I wear a style, the smaller the capsule is

That... doesn't sound like a capsule wardrobe at all.
>>
File: normie-core2.png (941KB, 852x782px) Image search: [Google]
normie-core2.png
941KB, 852x782px
>>9291628
tl:dr
Do a stocktake of your wardrobe and post items here if you're not sure on them/ do some floordinates for some feedback
Time to go and buy some black pencil skirts anon
If you have frilly tops, blouses etc then it can be as simple as adding in a few pencil skirts to make it casual workplace appropriate.
There are a few good blogs out there that talk about dressing goth in the office setting.

In regards as to dressing normie?
I posted the color palette above and personally I don't give a fuck about trends because most of the time they don't look good on my body and if they do it's normally out of my price bracket.
I like buying second hand, op-shopping, ebay and vintage. I like the look of gallery owner/art teacher chic so that's what I'm working towards- My degree involves a lot of socializing events and the chance of running into someone I know, work with, want to work with is pretty high on a daily basis. Because of this I've chosen to step up my game across the board so whenever I leave the house I look polished and comfortable in my own skin

I am taking notes from the other anons with making sure I have good base colours like cream, brown, navy which come in most seasons.

-Take the time to stocktake your wardrobe, think about what you want to present to people when you meet them for the first time.

-Decide what your buying and wardrobe goals are for next year

Best of luck and please post with how you go!
>>
>>9291616
Fucking this. Especially the way colour palettes change seasonally. I had a capsule built around cream, olive, rust, wine, pale rose pink, dark blue denim, and brown leather for a while. Got fucked up when I moved to university accommodation where the ancient dryers had shredded a bunch of my T-shirts and I couldn't replace stuff within my colour palette because most of the colours were too autumnal to be available in summer. I look like shit in cobalt, coral, chartreuse and all the other colours they were trying to shill as a trend so I ended up just buying a bunch of black and white because there was nothing else available that even slightly worked.
>>
>>9291945
>making sure I have good base colours like cream, brown, navy which come in most seasons.
The problem with this is that even though most capsule wardrobe sites suggest cream, brown, navy, khaki, grey, olive, etc as viable neutrals, they're actually not. They come round every couple of years, the only colours that come round in sufficient quantity reliably every season are black and white. I've been doing capsule wardrobes for four years and I honestly don't think it's viable not to include black and white, which sucks if those aren't good colours on you. You can maybe get away with navy but I'd be very, very cautious about basing your wardrobes around other colours.

Obviously this is going to vary a lot depending on where you live and what variety of stuff you have access to, but it's something to bear in mind.
>>
>>9290315
What are you guys doing that maintenance of clothing doesn't last you at least 2-3 years or more? If you know which cuts are best suited for you, and you have a set palette that you're working with and you're not following seasonal trends then I'd imagine you'd only want/need replacements once your colors come back around.

Granted, if you guys are building normalfag capsules from fast fashion houses then I can see why you'd need replacements on an annual basis.
>>
>>9291628
You build a work wardrobe. Skirts and dresses are alright for work if they are in dark colors and don't come more then 3 inches above the knee. I own two pairs of dress pants and a couple nice black shirts for my work wardrobe. (Different styles: a knit sweater, a boat neck short sleeve top, and then I got one of those kind of see through long sleeve tops I wear over a tank top.) You then just got to add one or two nice accessories into the mix.

Depending on the job, dark colored clothes will come off most professional. You actually more then likely already own stuff that would work.
>>
>>9292034
I'm the anon who had clothes damaged by a dryer, normally my clothes last 2-3 years but shit like that, or spilling stuff on your clothes or losing a favourite piece, does happen and you need to be able to replace when it does. Not much of an issue in wardrobes of 50+ pieces but if you're sticking to a genuine small capsule you can get problems.

Plus, something coming around regularly doesn't mean yours will wear out when it's around. Summer and winter trends come into stores a few months before they're weather-appropriate, so you're bang out of luck if, say, a cold-weather item gets damaged in February/March after stores have already rotated in spring/summer stuff, even though it'll be cold where you live until after April.
>>
>>9292034
>If you know which cuts are best suited for you
Cuts are very trend-based too though, even with simple layering items like T-shirts. I look best in boat necks and square necklines, but there have been years where I could only find crew necks, deep V-necks and scoop necks in stores.
>>
>>9292102
I never throw anything I'm scared to lose in the dryer. I get scared enough as it is using a community washer. (My worse fear is one day I'll end up with bleach spots on my clothing.) On laundry day, my apartment looks like a dry cleaners. Stuff hanging everywhere to dry.
>>
>>9292034
I'm a huge newfag to lolita. Only a year or so.

But as far as normie clothes go? I have had most of my stuff for like five+ years now and a lot of it came from places like F21, H&M and Rue21. I always read about how their stuff from those stores falls apart so easily but I've not experienced this at all?

on the other hand, I'm scared shitless to wash my lolita and only have done non print dresses so far and blouses and such. I got a steamer but I'm afraid of hanging them to dry as it's freezing out right and the only place I could hang them to dry would be in my garage... I'm far too afraid to stick anything in the dryer though as I've heard the lace can melt?
>>
>>9291945
>>9291956

In addition to this, some sets of palettes will look better on people depending on their season. If you're not sure what season you are, I've found this guide helpful. It is completely normal to have more than one season suitable for you.

http://galadarling.com/article/fashion-help-for-recovering-goths/
>>
>>9292156
I wouldn't dry them just because it can shrink the material. Shrinking material is really bad for anything that's sewn with a really particular fit.
>>
>>9292224
So this is still leaving me with hanging them to dry and I can not do that with this kind of weather...
>>
>>9292228
I live where cold weather is frequent. I hang mine to dry in my house. You can buy a drying rack for this purpose, but I usually just hang them on the chairs, windowsills, and wherever a hanger will fit. You can certainly run an extra spin cycle if you are worried about it drying in time. I've never had issues with mildew since I keep my apartment reasonably warm.
>>
do any of you gulls use mobile or pc apps to catalog your wardrobe? what are you favorites?

i'm trying out a few different ones now, but i'd like to know if any of you have recs because uploading items is pretty involved
>>
>>9292236
To elaborate on 'warmth', if you are one of those people who keep your house anywhere from 65 to barely 70 degrees, it might be harder to dry clothes in your house. Mildew will set up easily at those temperatures.
>>
>>9292249
I'd love to know too. Everything I've tried has been pretty shit so I just don't bother.
>>
>>9292236
you let wet clothes dry over carpet? I can't have my shit all over my bathroom. I can't have it over carpet. My dry rack would have to be in the garage where it is too cold right now. I'll just wait.

>>9292253
Also yeah, we use space heaters because $10/hr for heat is pretty much just employing a person. Our house is mostly cold during this time of year.
>>
>>9292302
Do you not wring your clothes out or run them through the spin cycle? If your clothes are wet enough to actually make that an issue, then you need to start by getting more water out or they'll never dry.
>>
I'll add that depending on your washer, this may mean doing much smaller loads so enough water gets out during the last cycle.
>>
>>9292307
They go through the spin cycle on their own and they are still pretty wet when I pull them out.. as far as normie clothes go. I've only washed a couple of my lolita dresses so far and one I did actually put in the dryer in a lingerie bag. Didn't shrink as far as I could tell, like it still fit me the same and it wasn't melted, but it took awhile to get the wrinkles out, so I'd rather just hang dry them.

My washing machine and dryer are in the garage so I'd have to bring them into my bathroom to wring them out. I never thought of that. Still, I don't want to risk getting the carpet wet, my bf bitches about me getting it wet when I get out of the shower and don't blow dry my hair.
>>
>>9292283
just fyi, i've been messing around with "Smart Closet" for about a half an hour and it seems the most simple and refined out of everything i've tried

lets you upload and catalog like most apps as well as make polyvore-style collages to save. i haven't done much with it yet but it seems more functional and less gimmicky than the rest. still can't tell if it's worth the effort, but i have time on my hands!
>>
>>9292311
I wring stuff if needed simply because the laundromat's settings won't let me run a spin cycle twice. Set the dial on your washer to spin cycle, and click start; it should let you run the cycle a second time. It's gentler on clothes then wringing them. I'd make sure the load is small.
>>
>>9292321
Oh, thank you! I really didn't understand how I would respin them. I'll have to ask my bf about it cause we this stupid eco washer and it has censors and does weird things other washers don't, but the dial is the same, so it should work.
>>
>>9292353
No problem, I hope it works out well!
>>
>>9292353
Diff anon chiming in to say with my heavier dresses in winter, I pull them from the washer, lay them flat on a big towel fresh from the dryer, lay another warm dry towel on top, and roll up the towel roll-cake nice and tight (pulls out moisture without as much fabric strain as wringing it), then unroll and hang dry. I just hang up the towels to dry when done, and reuse them on the next dress.
>>
>>9291666
>>9291945
>>9292087
Thanks so much for the responses! I'm planning on going back to studying relatively soon and the only I'll be able to get are grocery cashier tier so I'm not sure if building a professional wardrobe is over the top or not. Knowing myself, I'd never wear these clothes unless I had to. I suppose I will get a pencil skirt (although they make my figure look bad, but you know, sacrifices)

My main problem is that I have absolutely no idea of what is "normal" or acceptable to normalfags? Like is an all-black outfit of pieces bought at H&M okay or does all-black already give off too much of an ~alternative~ vibe? I never had to care about what other people thought and now it's biting me in the ass.
>>
>>9292313
Huh. I can't find the app you're talking about is it android only?
>>
>>9292207
seriously, don't trust stuff like this. according to the seasonal model im a "spring" which includes a ton of colors that wash me out and make me look sickly, and excludes a lot of high-contrast stuff that looks amazing on me.

just look at you closet and think of what colors you like to wear best. chances are you like them because they look good on you. if you don't trust yourself grab some friends who are good at that kind of think and go to the mall and try on a bunch of things. take notes on what colors you like best on you.

at the end of the day, wear what you like bulbasaur. it's not going to make a huge difference 90% of the time and you will certainly notice the other 10% on your own.
>>
>>9292249
>>9292283
I like stylebook, especially for jfashion because it's easy to find the exact stock photos for items & I don't have to worry about the photo editing mode. I use it to catalogue my closet and coords all the time. it was worth the $2 imo
>>
>>9292156
>I always read about how their stuff from those stores falls apart so easily but I've not experienced this at all?
It's exaggeration, their stuff isn't top quality but the idea it'll inevitably fall apart after one season is ridiculous. Most of it does last years, especially if you're not using dryers.

>>9292500
I'm in the same boat, I've got no idea what looks normal to most people any more. You need to have a group of friends who you can crowdsource opinions from - mine are useless, because they're all either alt too, or guys who know even less than the average guy about fashion.
>>
>>9293018
I've actually had stuff fall apart months within owning it. I don't shop much at TJ Maxx anymore because the past couple cute tops I bought to wear for jobs got holes within a couple runs through the wash. TJ Maxx is technically old stuff that doesn't sell, so there may have been a small hole or something I didn't notice.
>>
>>9291628
Pick up "The Curated Closet" by Anuschka Rees. It worked amazingly for my normie/work wardrobe.
>>
>>9292370
Oh this is such a good tip, thank you!

>>9293018
I throw my shitty F21 blouses/skirts in the dryer and wear them to work often. They hold up pretty well. I always play it safe when shopping for work clothes, though. No buttons or loose bits that would be tough to tumble dry.
>>
>>9293018
idk, I've had stuff from f21 and h&m physically fall a part one season and I'm hyper obsessive about laundry. my target mainstays like tank tops and tees have hit that point too. if your stff is several years old it's probably fine, but right now we are at the height of fast fashion crazy and most cheap stuff really is that awful
>>
File: diagrams.png (19KB, 492x286px) Image search: [Google]
diagrams.png
19KB, 492x286px
>>9293406
I had a couple of ribbed tops from there tear along the seams within a week of buying, which really sucked, but other than that I've never had issues despite the fact 90% of my wardrobe is from F21, H&M and other cheap brands. I wear long-sleeved T-shirts either as a base layer or a top pretty much every day, and I've been rotating the same ten F21/Next ones for two yearswithout anything disintegrating.

More on topic, this is a breakdown I did on my wardrobe's colour palette. The joined bubbles indicate what colours match each other and the bar diagram lets me visualise what the colour proportions are like in my wardrobe by piece. It's fun to play around with stuff like this like this while you're trying to decide what colour palette to go with (can be easier with a pen and paper), although it doesn't capture the nuances of what only works situationally or what combinations of pieces you need to buy. I guess that's what folder of pictures for style inspo is for, but I never really got into making them for normie fashion and only have jfash inspo folders.
>>
File: naturaltextures.png (190KB, 585x530px) Image search: [Google]
naturaltextures.png
190KB, 585x530px
>>9297955
Here's it shown with more natural textures. The wide spectrum of colours in the pic above grew out of this original restricted capsule from 2012/2013-ish, when I was trying to make a "smart casual" normie wardrobe that contained a lot of pieces I could use for mori girl and nanchatte seifuku, especially knitwear.
>>
>>9293202
Imo it had hilariously little information, and most of it you could already find on her blog. The woman's obviously riding the KonMari/minimalism bandwagon without taking into account all the other styles a person could have and how their capsule could change over time.
>>
>>9299411
her blog is pretty good for capsule building, but the book was not worth the money. it's a shame because her old workbook was actually more useful (had math etc to help you work out what you need) but I'm pretty sure she discontinued it. her main message is just so generic and useless now.

on the plus side her old posts are available and free
>>
>>9290315
>>9291947
It took me YEARS to come even close to having a 'capsule' wardrobe. No black either. No one solution is perfect for everyone and you kind of have to figure things out on your own. On top of that you end up making mistakes along the way. For some reason nobody ever mentions that aside from the typical 'every1 is diffrunt uwu' canned response.
What has worked so far for me:
>Sticking to only a few colours, of which 70% are neutrals
I used to have a fairly limited colour palette but it was still too complex for a capsule, so I just switched to beige shades, dark charcoal grey and dark forest green. No neutrals means no luck finding new stuff to wear for the next 5 years.
>Wearing colourful accessories instead
>Finding what suits my measurements/body shape/face/height/personality
Pinterest is great for this style-wise. Otherwise you just have to try different things on and see what suits you. Always look at size charts. One specific brand or two will usually fit you better than others, just figure out what they are.
>Finding a tailor
My lady's a fabric wizard. If it weren't for her I'd look like absolute horse shit 100% of the time since so few things fit me off the rack.
>Figuring out what I'm most comfortable in and sticking to it
This applies to makeup, skincare, clothes, bags, anything. What's for you won't pass you by.
>Being super picky (and patient)
You just can't find everything at once. Make shopping lists and do NOT settle, don't buy it unless you're 100% it'll fit in with your other clothes. Some things like round toe ballet flats, duffle coats etc are more or less classics so you can find some good vintage stuff on eBay. Browse often. It takes years to build a cohesive wardrobe.
>Figuring things out on my own
Capsule tutorials, minimalist worksheets and KonMari just can't help you sometimes.

Hope this helps at least a little.
>>
>>9302152
Thanks for the tips anon!

I figured it would take a long time to make this wardrobe long-term workable. I'll keep your tips about shopping and finding a tailor in mind
>>
>>9302152
These are some pretty good tips, thanks anon!
My only addition is that I stick to plain fabric or simple prints and spice things up with more exciting accessories so it's easier to match most of my clothes together without clashing thematically or something
>>
>>9290284
where to get 2nd and 3rd blouse?
>>
>>9314694
Sauce is fyeahlolita's "building a complete lolita wardrobe post", she lists the brands in there, cba looking it up for you.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.