[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wardrobe Building Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (63KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63KB, 500x385px
January is on the horizon, but it might be fun to get a thread talking about the actual mechanics of building our wardrobes. Feel free to post wardrobe pics/collages as well.

Questions to get us started:
>What jfashion styles do you wear?
>Substyles?
>Is there any crossover between styles/substyles? Or are all your wardrobes seperate?
>What color pallets (if any) do you try to work with?
>What's your budget? Do you buy a few pieces at a time or prefer big hauls?
>Distribution of brand, taobao, indie, etc. (example: mostly brand main pieces with mostly taobao blouses vs all brand all the time)?
>How do you store all your shit?
>Ever sell things, or just just hoard 'em?
>Any general wardrobe building tips?
>>
Otome-kei, lolita
>Substyles?
Classic, sweet
>Is there any crossover between styles/substyles? Or are all your wardrobes seperate?
My lolita & otome wardrobes are pretty seperate, but share some shoes & purses
I try to keep things monochromatic in lolita just to limit the amount of shit I want to buy & have to coord. My otome wardrobe doesn't really have a pallet, and I don't think it needs one.
My budget is always otome-first, since that's my daily wear clothes and it matters far more to me. That's also where I let the big hauls roll in. Otherwise, I buy individual lolita items every month or two, usually from Lace Market.
>Distribution of brand, taobao, indie, etc. (example: mostly brand main pieces with mostly taobao blouses vs all brand all the time)?
Otome is pretty much all brand, every day save for some shirts, cardigans and tights which I simply find easier to get in daily-friendly bulk quantities from western off-brand stores. Lolita is a solid blend of brand and taobao.
Walk-in closet, bitches.
I don't typically buy things unless I know I'm going to wear it, but there are a few pieces I may sell at the end of the year.
>Wardrobe building tips?
Do some soul searching before you start buying things. Do you like clean, military styled classic lolita vs frilly Marie-Antoinette lite? More punky larme vs soft feminine? Don't just buy things for the sake of buying them. Imagine all the different ways you want to wear something, and if you have access to the pieces to make it work first.
>>
>>9248088
>What jfashion styles do you wear
Lolita and uchuu kei

>Substyles?
sweet

I have quite a few accessories that can be used for both uchuu and lolita

pink/mint/brown/navy/ivory are the colorways I try and stick with

I buy as I see things that would work

budget isn't much an issue

it's 99.9% brand

the exception is usually accessories and shoes

I have a room in my house where I store all of my fashion related things

it has wardrobe where I store my absolute favorites that I will wear very often and then a closet where I store other pieces

I am a terrible hoarder

never sold a single Lolita related item I've bought

I have a rule that I have to have seven different ways to wear it right off hand before I can buy it

I have to be able to wear it a different way every day for a week

my wardrobe is pretty big so if I just continued to buy whatever paired with the fact I never sell anything it would over run my house

it's a good rule if you already have a decent sized wardrobe and you want to expand it cohesively

for starting out I would say try and get a few main pieces and double the amount of blouses, but the blouses should work with all the main pieces you have

avoid OPs if you're just starting out

that's a cop out for new lolitas IMO
>>
Is there a blog or website that goes over all the various current j-fashion trends?
>>
Lolita and mori
>Substyles?
Classic, gothic, and some toned down sweet
>Is there any crossover between styles/substyles? Or are all your wardrobes separate?
I occasionally wear mori accessories, shoes, and cardigans with lolita and vice versa.
For lolita I try to stick to browns, blacks, and navys, but in mori my color choices seem to be a bit all over the place.
I tend to prefer hauls for mori, but in lolita I tend to buy a few main pieces every month or so, and I buy staple pieces like blouses and shoes whenever I need them and can afford them.
For mori it's mainly taobao and thrifted. For lolita, all of my main pieces are brand, but everything else is a mix of thrifted, taobao, handmade, and indie.
main pieces and blouses hang in my closet like all my other clothes; bags all hang on one of those over the door hook rack things; shoes are on the floor of my closet; accessories have their own drawer in my dresser; and socks have their own box in my closet.
I always sell things before I buy new things and buy with money I made from selling things.
I agree with >>9248112, don't just buy frilly shit to buy frilly shit. I made that mistake when I first started out and I deeply regret it. Also be honest with yourself as to whether or not you'll wear something. It's fine to have a few items for special occasions, but when your entire wardrobe is made up of them you may not get very much versatility or use out of them. Also a rule of thumb I try to use now is if I can't think of at least 3 unique coords I could do with something, I don't buy it.
>>
Lolita, larme, dabbling in otome.
>Substyles?
Classic, sweet-classic, country, old school.
Basically all the lolita I have falls into classic style. I can share blouses, shoes, socks, and outerwear with otome dresses. I've used some lolita brand bags for larme but that's about it.
No specific color pallet for lolita, but I guess I have a preference for ivory/ light colors over black. For larme I have a lot of pink and black because it's trendy.
I'm currently not buying more main pieces unless they're cheap, focusing on accessories n stuff instead. Most of my money goes to lolita.
I have 2 taobao and 3 bodyline main pieces, the rest are brand. Most of my stuff is Innocent World. If I buy offbrand stuff it is usually bags and accessory type things, I really prefer brand main pieces.
Separate room with a built in closet.
I've been selling some stuff as I realize what my dress and style preferences are. I'm trying not to make as many impulse purchases too (like buying a dress just because it's cheap).
I would start out buying stuff you like and worry about style cohesion etc. later. I find it's difficult to figure out where your heart is before you've owned and tried some things. Keep it cheap at first and splurge once you've found what you love.
Use yahoo auctions and mercari to cop that cheap shit.
>>
Good advice here!

Mori, lolita
>Substyles?
Oldschool and country
>Is there any crossover between styles/substyles? Or are all your wardrobes separate?
Definitely! Definitely definitely. I wore my aran fisherman's sweater in a coord once and it turned out really cute. At the same time, I like to keep to "rules" in lolita, but make it whatever the hell I want to/feel like wearing on my everyday, a lot which could be considered "mori."
For lolita: blue and white, white and pink, red and pink, red and white, and some brown. For mori I stick to beiges, whites, creams, greys, browns, light pinks, some blues. I wear a vintage red wool Macintosh coat in late fall and I adore it.
A few at a time! I've never spent over $250 on any one piece, and that was a payment plan on a dream item I'd been coveting for five years. I'd just got a new job, and it was a celebration. I was finally able to afford it!
I'm not a stickler to brand, but I won't be caught dead in replicas of someone else's designs. I am in love with Meta - most of my wardrobe is Meta, some Bodyline for shoes and blouses and socks. For accessories, I like to support independent artists so I turn to Etsy or con artist alleys.
I use my straw hats like decorations; they hang on my walls. I use a vintage cigar box for accessories, and hang my dresses/blouses up in a closet.
I sold a bunch of stuff after I moved. I realized I wasn't wearing them anymore.
Take it slow and decide what's really worth it to you.
>>
File: MYXJ_20161107131812_save.jpg (906KB, 684x1098px) Image search: [Google]
MYXJ_20161107131812_save.jpg
906KB, 684x1098px
lolita and general casual cute stuff, but i'm more dedicated to lolita

>Substyles?
sweet

pretty separate, but i use a lot of my accessories for different things

pink, white or cream, sax, mint. i want more lavender and brown eventually

i don't think i have a defined budget since basically all of my lolita wardrobe has been gifted to me. it's happening piece by piece, i would feel too guilty to buy or ask for a lot of stuff at once

99% brand main pieces, equal split of brand and taobao blouses, mostly brand accessories (btssb makes the best alice bows and i have too many), and offbrand shoes

i use the guest room with a bigger closet to store most of my lolita since my own closet is full of casual jfashy stuff. i keep my accessories organized neatly on racks, pic related

hoard them, they are all mine

think about what you're buying before you buy it

evidently i'm really bad about planning ahead and when i see a main piece that's really pretty i just go for it, which is kinda bad
>>
>>9248088
>>What jfashion styles do you wear?
Lolita, otome
>>substyles?
Sweet/classic. Lot of florals
>>Is there any crossover between styles/substyles? Or are all your wardrobes seperate?
All of my clothes go together however I do have a few pieces that don't really fit with the rest of it.
>>What color pallets (if any) do you try to work with?
Reds, pinks, beige. Not my favourite colours, but they're the most common in the prints I love. I'm hoping to branch out to lavender and blues, and get some legit otome pieces next year.
>>What's your budget? Do you buy a few pieces at a time or prefer big hauls?
I buy a few things at a time as I am worried about customs fees.
>>Distribution of brand, taobao, indie, etc. (example: mostly brand main pieces with mostly taobao blouses vs all brand all the time)?
Almost all brand main pieces and blouses, with a few bodyline/Anna house/taobao sprinkled in. I'm hoping to delve more in to taobao and such next year, but don't have the technical know-how/can't be bothered to learn.
All of my shoes are not brand, mostly bodyline.
>>How do you store all your shit?
Most of it hangs in the back of my closet, shoes go on a shoe rack. It rarely gets worn due to personal discomfort, but that's all going to change next year after my surgery.
>>Ever sell things, or just just hoard 'em?
I have a large sales pile that I haven't got around to photographing yet. It mainly consists of pieces I have never worn but bought in lots and ones that don't fit well. I'm holding off till next year, once again.
>>Any general wardrobe building tips?
Be sure to get a solid amount of base pieces first or you'll get too obsessed with having the next main piece.
>>
Having a cohesive wardrobe (with a set style and colour pallet) is nice, and a very good base to build from.
I think blogs like F*ck Yeah lolita have really good entries about how to achieve this.
However, it varies from person to person how cohesive you actually want it to be. I personally think it can be somewhat boring to have really almost everything matching.
I'd say NEVER buy something just for the sake of ''having more stuff'', but sometimes DO buy things just because really like them, even though it doesn't totally fit your current style. Maybe it'll end up as a flop, but at least you tried something new. Going out of your comfort zone for a bit can be really refreshing and, for me, I feel is necessary to stay creative and enjoy fashion to the fullest.
>>
Lolita
>Substyles?
Classic, Simple Sweet, Gothic
Lots of items in my lolita wardrobe work well with multiple lolita substyles. I also wear my lolita accessories with normie F21 cutesy dresses.
Most of my coords feature blacks, whites/beiges, and/or reds. I'm trying to incorporate more browns in my lolita wardrobe.
I typically drop about a grand or so on lolita every year. I prefer to buy a bunch of stuff all at once, so yeah I definitely prefer large hauls.
Mostly brand everything except shoes and bags. Over 66% of my main pieces are brand, all my socks are brand, and 75% of my blouses are brand. My main pieces that aren't brand are all taobao brands, and both of my non-brand blouses are Infanta. My shoes are mostly normie shoes as well as some Bodyline and antaina.
My lolita wardrobe takes up about 1/3 of my normal closet, which is really large. I don't really have a specific wardrobe for my lolita stuff, but it has it's own section in my walk in closet.
I sell stuff a lot. There's a lot of things I just get tired of or stop liking, or I get something that essentially replaces the item.
DON'T BUY THINGS JUST TO BUY THINGS CAUSE THEY'RE CHEAP
That's my biggest tip. Know what you're going to wear with whatever you're buying. Have coords in mind. Even when you're just starting out. Don't be like "oh yeah let me grab this blouse it's an essential" because even the "essentials" aren't always so essential.
>>
Not sure if this is where I should post this, but I've decided to jump in and build an otome-kei wardrobe for work. This is what I have so far, minus some necklaces, brooches and legwear... any ideas on where to go? I need more headwear, outerwear, etc. that could work at a stuffy government job, but I don't want to be too boring...

I'll fuck off to the otome thread if that makes more sense
>>
File: image.jpg (140KB, 640x912px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140KB, 640x912px
>>9248245
Dropped pic
>>
>>9248224
I always get so hung up on having a cohesive wardrobe that I guilt myself out of buying things I might enjoy. I need to take this advice more often...
>>
>>9248136
I like to browse http://www.style-arena.jp/en/
However not all posts are translated into English and they usually don't cover Japanese alt fashion.
>>
lolita and otome with a western vintage vibe.
>Substyles?
a weird classic/sweet hybrid.
i often mix my every day pieces into my lolita wardrobe (blouses, cutsews etc) but not the other way around.
in lolita i like to wear lots of creams, browns, pinks and blues. in otome/every day i like kitschy prints in a bunch of different colours.
i do a bigger taobao haul for things like accessories and blouses a couple of times a year, and i buy a lolita main piece every couple of moths. i prefer to save my money for pieces i really love, and i don't have much in the way of filler pieces.
lolita is mostly brand and indie with a couple of taobao pieces, otome/daily is western indie and offbrands.
a very, very full built in wardrobe.
i tend to only buy things i know i love and really want, so i don't end up selling much.
be patient! don't piss money away on quantity over quality, you're better off having some solid pieces that you absolutely love than a wardrobe full of meh stuff that you only wear once or twice. build a strong collection of accessories because when you've got variety you can completely transform an outfit. and be creative! if you really love a piece and you've got the means but you're worried it won't fit into your wardrobe or whatever, just buy it anyway. make making yourself happy your first priority, because that's the whole point of alternative fashion.
>>
>>9248135
You have an entire ROOM for Lolita? What?
>>
>>9248543
Not op but i do too? its not so strange to have a spare room/bedroom that goes unused
>>
>>9248543
>>9248562
Seconding that it isn't that crazy especially if you own/rent a house in America. My husband and I have a 3 bedroom house and no kids therefore do whatever the hell we want with the spare 2 rooms.
>>
>>9248543
Planning on making a lolita room once I get a house. Will be putting my sewing machine in there as well to work on any handmade/cosplay. But if you have an extra bedroom that's not being used, why not? A cute space to decorate in your style and have fun getting dressed in - a good idea to me!
>>
>>9248543
i think a lot of people do

like i'm not filthy rich and i do because we have a guest bedroom and i like to have all of my lolita stuff in once place

plus it houses my sewing machine and other crafting supplies. sounds like a lot of gulls do the same thing
>>
>>9248576
>doesn't live in a 500sqft studio.

Oh NorCal... you make these things impossible for us.
>>
Lolita, wanting to get into otome but boobs and long torso
>Substyles?
Mostly classic.
I have couple of sweet and gothic pieces that have their own special wardrobes apart from the rest of my stuff, but I'm looking at selling those things.
Wine and ivory, but I'm a sucker for green/mint and some pinks, too. I'd love to get more tartan pieces as well.
I try to pace myself because I know I'll buy way too much if I let myself.
Main pieces are almost all brand, the rest is mostly either taobao or offbrand with some brand sprinkled in. I'm torn between wanting to go full burando in the future and being at peace with the fact that most of the time I actually prefer the way my taobao items look and some girls are just going to look down on me for that.
Separate room with a closet and cute little shoe racks and storage boxes.
I try not to buy anything I can't see myself wearing for a long time, but I do have three or four main pieces that I just don't wear anymore and need to get rid of. I need to do some closet cleaning, but I don't think I'll ever be the kind of person to have a high wardrobe turn over.
Have a good amount of basics (blouses, shoes, etc) to build solid coords, and be picky about your main pieces. Your tastes will probably change as you grow in the fashion, and that's totally fine, but you'll regret impulse buying 12 sweet main pieces only to find you prefer gothic. If you're torn on a main piece, see if it has a decent resale value; if not, skip it.
>>
>>9248135
how did you go about putting together your uchuu wardrobe? any brands you can recommend? i know it's not much of an established fashion anymore (or ever?), so even items you like and are available online would help

i'm a beginner alien and would really appreciate it
>>
>>9248589
it's amazing what happens when you occupy the other 95% of the land in our country that isn't overpriced as fuck
>>
In all honesty,
I think I've messed up by buying a bunch of cute jsks and tights, and no blouses.
I think I just need to bite the bullet and cusom order from taobao in a bunch of colors.
>>
Gothic, classic
>Substyles?
nah
normal clothes separated from casual/work clothes
black, sometimes red or white
Usually it's spaced out over time
Mostly brand, but I buy unique taobao pieces
hangers and boxes
I sell only when it doesn't suit me
Plan it out! Decide and dedicate early what motifs and theme you want and work towards it.
>>
File: my-wardrobe.jpg (424KB, 766x574px) Image search: [Google]
my-wardrobe.jpg
424KB, 766x574px
Lolita, Gyaru
>Substyles?
Sweet, Amekaji, Agejo, Himekaji
They are all separate.
Pastels (lolita), neons/primary colors (amekaji), browns & creams (himekaji) blacks & hot pinks (agejo)
A few pieces at a time per month.
All brand all the time- except for two bags, shoes, and accessories. Otherwise, all of my main pieces are brand. For gyaru, I try to buy EVERYTHING brand.
All of my clothes are hung up in my closet with the rest of my normie clothes. Accessories are stored in my dresser.
I sell things from time to time if I feel like I won't wear the clothing for awhile. Otherwise I just hoard everything.
Cohesiveness & quality > quantity, for the most part.
>>
File: 1_000000001101.jpg (134KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1_000000001101.jpg
134KB, 640x640px
I'm looking through the clothing from Listen Flavor and was wondering which styles their stuff fall under? I kinda really like the idea of doing cute witchy styles? Purples, blacks, some pastels with ouija boards, cats, potions, zodiac, etc. Maybe I could just do my own thing? I have no idea.
>>
>>9248738
depending how you do it, it would probably fall under creepy cute or pastel goth or something

the menhera thread has an affinity for listen flavor too, so it all just really depends on what you do with it
>>
>>9248738
Menhera can include occultic stuff. You see both Western and Eastern occult symbolism in merchandise.

If you went all out, it would be gothic. Creepy cute if you keep to the aesthetics in J-fashion and tone it down.
>>
Er, let me correct that and say yamikawaii as well. The terms kind of get confusing.
>>
>>9248744
Let me see if I can put together a coord of something I'm thinking about and see where it falls.
>>
File: MahouKawaiiCoordThing.jpg (1MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
MahouKawaiiCoordThing.jpg
1MB, 2000x2000px
>>9248751
Okay so here is this. I'm not really digging the glitter star necklace but this is just a really quick search around on the internets to get an idea of what a coord would look like?
>>
>>9248784
if you wanna put a label on it then i think it would fall under pastel goth/creepy cute

especially with that KKK hoodie (it's cute, not hatin)
>>
>>9248589
Hey it beats living in a parking lot state.
>>
File: MahouKawaiiThing2.jpg (1MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
MahouKawaiiThing2.jpg
1MB, 2000x2000px
>>9248784
More dicking around with coord ideas. Yeah it would probably fall under pastel goth but lean heavily on the occult/witchcraft.
>>
>>9248837
I'm going to say creepy cute. Perhaps yami-kawaii with the more extreme outfits.

It's a bit too dark to be pastel goth. Pastel goth isn't usually 'scary'. I mean scary in a good way!
>>
>>9248837
Those shoes are dope.
Can I get a link?
>>
>>9248843
Sure! >https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2015-New-Arrival-brand-new-size35-39-Womens-Harajuku-Style-Creepers-Platform-Cross-Casual-Shoes-Galaxy/1049534_32273009344.html

>>9248842
Okay thanks!
>>
>>9248848
Derp, it didn't register my indent haha. but it accepted my link anyway sooooo
>>
>>9248848
>>
>>9248665
Nah you need to wait for closet childs next sale and buy in bulk honey
>>
Lolita, menhera
>Substyles?
Classic and sweet lolita
Not between styles (though I'd love the Bunny & Black original menhera JSK). Between substyles of lolita, yes- I have non print dresses that are versatile.
>What color palettes (if any) do you try to work with?
White/ivory, mint, and pink.
I have a small budget because I spent so much on lolita early on (a couple thousand). I only buy pieces I adore or that are under $100, so mostly Taobao. I prefer to do big hauls to save on shipping, so I'll add to an order over a couple of months.
75% brand main pieces, 25% Taobao main pieces, and mostly Taobao or offbrand blouses and accessories.
In the packaging they were sent in, so bags and boxes, and then in bins in my closet. I need them to be super protected from my many animals.
Hoard. I have so many things to sell, but I'm lazy as fuck.
>>
Lolita, otome, larme and just general jfashion
>Substyles?
Sweet and classic sweet for lolita
Sometimes - especially for accessories
Black and lavender, pink and sax, red
I prefer fewer more expensive items rather than large hauls of cheap stuff
Mostly brand. I have a few taobao things but they never feel as nice to me so I've stopped buying them.
Lolita dresses hanging in my closet and other things in my dresser drawers. I don't have a lot of room to hang things in my apartment.
>Ever sell things, or just just hoard 'em
More of a hoarder but I'm trying to get better about it.
Don't impulse buy or just buy things because they are cheap. I did it a lot in the beginning and ended up with a lot of shit that didn't match that was hard to sell.
Also it takes a while to find your style, so to speak. Don't be discouraged if you're not 100% happy with your coordinates in the beginning. You tend to learn what works and what doesn't with practice.
>>
>>What jfashion styles do you wear?
Otome, lolita

>>Substyles?
Classic for lolita.

>>Is there any crossover between styles/substyles? Or are all your wardrobes seperate?
Some of my more classic looking otome pieces can be worn as classic lolita. Conversely, I often cross use accessories, blouses, etc between lolita and otome.

>>What color pallets (if any) do you try to work with?
Burgundy and jeweled tones mainly, although on second count I actually have quite the muted pink palette as well....

>>What's your budget? Do you buy a few pieces at a time or prefer big hauls?
Budget is sort of big. I like big hauls. Every month. Yeah. It gets to be a lot.

>>Distribution of brand, taobao, indie, etc. (example: mostly brand main pieces with mostly taobao blouses vs all brand all the time)?
I'd say my brand to taobao ratio is 80-20. I mainly go with offbrand/japanese casual brands like axes femme or taobao for accessories and blouses.

>>How do you store all your shit?
Great question! I don't.

Kidding aside, I just bought another standing wardrobe to store 20 dresses. It's helped. For now.

>>Ever sell things, or just just hoard 'em?

I'm a hoarder but occasionally I'll clean out my closet.

>>Any general wardrobe building tips?

Accessories and the 'extras' are actually very key to maintaining a cohesive wardrobe. Versatile blouses and shoes go a long way. If you're aiming for daily wearing, a variety of blouses, accessories, and shoes will do better than more main pieces in the long run.
>>
Lolita
>Sub styles
Gothic, oldschool, dabble in classic.
>Is there any crossover between styles/substyles? Or are all your wardrobes separate
Basically everything I own is black or navy, with some ivory here and there, so I mix things up as I feel they work.
Black, navy blue, ivory. Purple and Bordeaux on the fringe.
I don't so much budget, but I don't buy pieces over $200. I'm a bargain hunter. As a result though my wardrobe isn't too impressive and is mostly solid.
Almost all brand, with some summer indie pieces floating around except shoes which are all offbrand.
Closet and some boxes for accessories.
Hoard. I hoard so much.
Try and stick to a general substyle rather than ending up the clusterfuck I have. Have an idea of what color pallets you like, and stick to it, at least at first. Buy things you like, not what's trendy.

And for gods sake remember blouses. Hah.
>>
I'm starting out, but I'll bite.

The most distinct style I wear is menhera/gurokawa. Otherwise, I've always worn cute gothic clothing.

>Substyles?
When it comes to menhera/gurokawa, I like both yami and yume kawaii.

I think so? Much of my gothic clothing fits with menhera/gurokawa clothing, and vise versa.

Half of my closet is monochromatic, but I do pair monochromatic with red. The other half of my closet is pink. I sometimes pair pink with lavender. (I'm working on adding some pink/blue accessories.)

If I import anything, I have to keep it below 200$ per package. I prefer large hauls to save on shipping. It doesn't always happen.

I think most my clothing count as an independent brand. Outside independent brands, everything is from Claire's, TJ Maxx, Amazon, or Hot Topic.

I hang everything in a closet. I keep jewelery in a 150 year old basket.

I usually wear clothing until it has to be thrown away. I recently gave away quite a bit of clothing that was nice to Goodwill. I try and save on space.

Don't buy 10,000 different colors or you'll cry. I habitually did this. I recently broke the habit. It makes things way easier to build a closet if you plan on wearing stuff daily to pick things that are all the same scheme. When you do that, 2 skirts/3 shirts/2 necklaces/3 socks all in pink (for example) make for a ton of outfits.
>>
Lolita, hime gyaru
>Sub styles?
Sweet and classic for lolita,
I use blouses and accessories from my hime-gyaru stuff with lolita and vice-versa.
Light pink, sax, lavender, mint, cream, and tan. I want to incorporate more red and navy.
I spend about $300-500 every other month on lolita, but I'll do a $500+ haul every couple of months.
>Distribution of brand, taobao, indie, etc.
I only have brand main pieces and blouses. Accessories and bags are an even mix of brand and off brand, while about 75% of my shoes are taobao.
I store jfash in my closet and have all my normie shit in a separate wardrobe. I also have a closet organizer where I store accessories, wigs, socks, bags, etc.
Hoarder for life. I smoke weed in my brand and it'd be pretty fucked up to resell stuff without saying anything. But I have traded a few pieces with my fellow stoner lolitas.
Stick with a simple theme/color palette while you're new, then branch out into other styles after you've collected the essentials. I tried to jump around styles when I first started, resulting in pitiful early coords.
>>
Lolita and ouji, some dabbling in larme
>Substyles?
Everything but the super-sweet stuff. Mainly gothic with the ouji, and a mix of sweet-classic, classic and gothic for lolita.
Lots of crossover! Lolita and ouji blouses and bags are pretty interchangeable, and elegant blouses work for both. I'll dress up a sweeter JSK with an ornate ivory blouse from my classic wardrobe to add opulence and tone it down, and the jewel tones of classic lolita can really pop when used as an accent colour in an otherwise black coord.
I'm not even going to lie, I've given up hope on being that organised! I kept making exceptions until the only colour I don't have is yellow, because it makes me look jaundiced.
Definitely a few pieces at a time! I lurk the sales pages and pounce on bargains, and that kind of steady accumulation feels so much more cohesive to me than those first few months where every payday was a Bodyline order to fill the holes left from the last order!
Mostly brand main pieces, but I'all happily have statement indie dresses too! Lots of Bodyline from when I started out, because I'm not paying Brand prices for a plain main piece, and they do me well for school.

Shoes are Bodyline and high street, blouses vary from Bodyline and high street to brand cutsews, more brand OTKs than you would believe, and pretty much exclusively brand handbags. Accessories are usually from AliExpress, but I have a few brand sets for special occasions.
Shove in wardrobe, pray, push doors shut!
Cont.
>>
>>9250401
Part two

Major hoarder. I've sold one OP which was falling off my shoulders, and the rest has stayed with me. If I needed the space or the money, I wouldn't mind, but I don't?
Always always always check the length before you buy anything! Don't do replicas, Bodyline or second hand is cheaper, and will get you more respect from the community. Invest in a proper handbag as soon as you can - a white or black bag can do most coords if you have a cohesive starter wardrobe, and they really make you look like a real lolita, not a con lolita. Same for shoes - skip buying a main piece and get some cute ankle boots which will work with everything. Boleros will help you stretch out your wardrobe, and berets are cute as hell and super cheap online. Buy one in your main and one in your accent colour, and watch the magic happen.

But biggest point - Google is your friend, always do the Google. If that doesn't work, ask for help! It's better to think about how you're going to coord something before you buy it, not after you realise you have no idea what to do with this.
>>
Lolita
>Substyles?
Sweet, Goth, Classic, Country & Casual.
>Is there any crossover between styles/substyles? Or are all your wardrobes
I just have one massive lolita wardrobe.
Lavender/Pink x Gold x Ivory/White
Black x White/Ivory
Red x Mint x Brown

I have large range, but those are my main ones.

Buy one JSK at a time and haul the accessories for it.
Mostly AP and Taobao, with a few offbrand pieces too.

JSKS, OPs and Cardigans are all hung up
Bags are all hung up on a coat hook
Skirts and OTKS in one drawer
Shoes stored below JSKS
Pettis on my curtain pole.

Sold a lot of things, my wardrobe is constantly changing, as I am still quite new (2017 will be my second year)
>>
>>9250414
Buy more plain pieces to begin with, such as a single/double colour JSK/OP, as they are more versitile.
You'll regret replicas, Bodyline is a nice starting place but always check their measurements!
Pretty much everything >>9250410 says, because I have several berets, more than actual headbows, as they're cheaper.
>>
New to Lolita and want to be a lifestyler now that I've lost weight and done a lot to increase my confidence. Looking to get an everyday wardrobe and some pieces so I can see how things look on me before spending a lot of money on brand. Was looking on Amazon and noticed that Partiss seemed to have a lot of stuff that looked like brand. Is Partiss replica? Are their other 'brands' like Partiss that I should avoid?
>>
>>9250419
i think you need to lurk moar for your own sake. why would you settle for subpar quality when you can find real secondhand brand for a similar price? if you look hard enough you should be able to find brand for less than $100. then again i don't know how big you still are.
>>
part 1
lolita
>Substyles?
sweet
i have two clothing racks, one for darker and one for brighter dresses/skirts/coats
black and red/wine for every day casual wear, but also blue/mint/pink/brown. i look awful in both white/ivory and lavendel so even though i love it on other people i stay away from them. maybe thats just good for my wallet though
to save on shipping, i do big hauls from y!japan maybe 4 times a year. i get my main pieces from there, but smaller items/accessories are more expensive to buy that way. so i try to pick them up on swap meets/ my countrys facebook sales page etc. i can easily spend most part of my salary on lolita, but when it comes to normie clothing i am very picky and never buy expensive things.
i have tried to buy bodyline or replicas but i don't feel as good in them as i do in brand, as if i am not true to the brands that i love so much? maybe thats just a hangup i have, i dont care what other people do. but yeah my main pieces/outerwear/bags/accessories are mostly AP or baby. sometimes i find things in vintage stores that goes very well with lolita! also i love to buy accessories from my talented friends when i have the chance to support their buisness.
>>
>>9250437

as i said, two clothing racks in my room so i can look at my dresses and feel happy whenever. heh. they are too pretty to be hidden away even if it means they get a bit more dusty etc. i keep my blouses, bloomers and knits in one wardrobe, wigs, shoes and legwear in another, and in a big bookshelf i store accessories, headbows, bags etc.
i like to sell what i dont use or what doesnt fit me etc. i want a wardrobe full of comfortable pieces i feel joy from, and that inspire me!
buy the things you want, if you dont care about small stains or whatever you can get a lot of great stuff for super cheap on yahoo auctions. thrift stores are good. get a lot of legwear and blouses, so you can vary your wardrobe. no OPs because they offer a limited variation. meta is great, they often have a lot of detatchable things on their dresses which also gives you the oppurtunity to change your coords. take inspiration from other clothing you already have, maybe incorporate a normie striped shirt and a boring beret in an outfit to make it a bit more casual/quirky? etc.
>>
>>9250438
>as i said, two clothing racks in my room so i can look at my dresses and feel happy whenever. heh. they are too pretty to be hidden away even if it means they get a bit more dusty etc. i keep my blouses, bloomers and knits in one wardrobe, wigs, shoes and legwear in another, and in a big bookshelf i store accessories, headbows, bags etc.

Are you me anon?

I just reorganized my wardrobe. I put all my florals on one wardrobe and all my solids on another. It's very pleasing to the eye.
>>
File: 61hNtGTMW7L__UY500_.jpg (37KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
61hNtGTMW7L__UY500_.jpg
37KB, 500x500px
>>9250433
Was asking cause I saw this and they have a few others that look like blatant knock offs. I've been lurking LM and already have a few brand pieces for cheap, but I'm hesitant to buy anything that would be hard to replace or wash if I'm wearing it once or twice a week. I keep reading about gulls spilling things on brand and it being ruined
>>
>>9250439
it is very pleasing to the eye indeed, speaking of that i also arranged my clothing after color. i even tried to arrange it by length so my few skirts and shorter outerwear like jackets, are in one part of the clothing rack
haha i need a life
>>
Just lolita. I have some stuff built up for a few fairy kei coords but I don't like how it looks on me.
>Substyles?
Sweet a little of classic. We're talking OTT pastel vomit to more modern sweet/classic hybrids with muted colors and then classic.
There's crossover. I try to keep accessories and items that will blend between different styles, but there are some things that need their own color palettes and accessories.
My wardrobe is a fucking rainbow. I don't even know or really even care other than making sure everything is well balanced. That requires a lot of spending.
I buy in hauls usually and then do a few pieces here and there between. I make more money now than when I started due to a job promotion but I've not yet done any huge hauls (because I gained weight and I'm a fat fuck and I have maybe 5 main pieces I can semi-confidently wear)
Almost all brand, blouses are either brand or custom indie, accessories and brand and indie, shoes are mostly bodyline/chinese replicas. I'd like to get a few pairs of brand shoes.
Wardrobe for my main pieces (overstuffed I have like 4 dresses hanging around in my room), a closet for blouses/tops. I have different displays around for everything. It's all overwhelmed right now.
I go through periods of selling and hoarding. Right now is a hoarding period.
If you're like and want to have a very colorful and varied wardrobe, it's important to use strategy in your buying. Will this main piece go with what I already have? Can I add new things to go with this but will also supplement other items in my wardrobe? And go from there.
>>
>>9248245
>>9248248
I love how cohesive your future wardrobe is turning out to be! I'd suggest more berets, because you can never have enough, and ribbons in multiple colors. They're very versatile because you can tie them into cute bows around ponytails/half-ponytails or around your head with either the bow showing for a more cutesy look or with the bow hidden at the nape of your neck so it kind of just looks like a solid headband.
>>
>>9250441
Again, lurk more and realize that buying lolita off amazon is a dumbass idea.
Get inexpensive dress off japanese secondhand sites, fb and lm, taobao, swap meets, etc.
>>
Lolita and otome.
>Substyles?
A little bit of everything. My sweet is toned down though.
There's a bit of crossover with my solid pieces.
Without intending to, my wardrobe has a lot of red, navy, brown, and black.
My budget is whatever money I have managed to put aside in between purchases. The longer I go without buying something, the more I get to spend the next time I do. I buy a few pieces at a time since I don't make nearly enough to go crazy yet.
My main pieces are half brand half Taobao/Bodyline. With the exception of a few brand cardigans, all blouses, outerwear, and accessories in my wardrobe are offbrand/Taobao/Bodyline.
In my closet with the rest of my (normie) clothes. I don't have enough frills to need more closet space.
I'm shaping up to be a hoarder, definitely.
It's better to have a few pieces that you're absolutely in love with than a lot of pieces that you got for really cheap but that you don't really have a passion for. That being said, get yourself a Bodyline/Taobao/other cheap piece or two so you can occasionally frill up fuss-free.
>>
>>9250868
Thanks! That sounds like a good idea! Any suggestions on where to get quality ribbon?
>>
>>9251176
Not the above poster, but your local haberdashery shop should sell them by length. You can also get really narrow ones and use them as shoelaces, super-cheap and means you can work a pop of colour from most outfits into your shoes.
>>
>>9251550
You are a godsend. I've always wanted to do that with my shoes, but couldn't find any nice quality ribbon
>>
Lolita and nanchatte
>Substyles?
Old school and solids for lolita, mostly sukeban styled for nanchatte
Not really, my nanchatte wardrobe is just two skirts and a variety of blouses that I rotate.
Both styles I stick with black, white, reds, I have two navy dresses though.
I don't spend more than 100$ on Taobao and Y!JA per piece without shipping. I tend to do hauls more often than not.
>Distribution of brand, taobao, indie, etc?
60% brand, 30% Taobao, 10% handmade.
Nanchatte stuff gets mixed into my regular wardrobe, I have a dedicated rack for lolita in my room, though its getting too full right now.
>Ever sell things, or just just hoard 'em?'
I've sold about maybe 5 items over the 6 years I've been a lolita.
If you can't get a variety of blouses, make sure you pick a versatile blouse that goes with most. I've lived with 2 blouses for the first 3 years of being a lolita. For nanchatte, make sure your skirt is of good quality, it really shows if it isn't.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.