[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Building a Totoro Cosplay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 1365349762913.jpg (55KB, 774x1032px) Image search: [Google]
1365349762913.jpg
55KB, 774x1032px
Hello,i'm Rosa from belgium and i was wondering if you guys/girls could help me in the making of a Totoro cosplay, i have checked a Adam Savage's build on it and he does gives some good tips,but not really much that can help me especially since i'm a noob at making this,i was thinking of making the tubes out of cheap pvc tubes with a heatgun, you can get at brico or gamma(belgian stores) but i need help with the coating and how to hold it up etc. i hope someone can help me out thank you
>>
File: totoro.png (181KB, 581x774px) Image search: [Google]
totoro.png
181KB, 581x774px
>>9239675
You can probably use electrical tubing for the rings, although bending the rings round with a heat gun will be a pain to deal with. Instead you could do it with a tool made to bend electrical tubing, and make a few degree bend with it every few centimeters. As for how to connect the rings, you can use a fabric ribbon or some duct tape if you're not planning on making this a durable costume. Finally you'll also need a harness of some kind to keep everything on you. Thicker PVC tubes will serve you well and you can easily shape these a bit to fit your body.

As for the fabric, you could probably make it like a sock and let it rest on top of the harness. although to keep the top round you'll probably need to have it rest on something round or buff it up with some foam. The ears can then be attached to it to keep them up right.
>>
>>9239696
Hello most of the things you said are indeed what i was planning cheap electrical tubing i can get easily from the store and the bender i noticed i can get too but they are very expensive i noticed,its mainly measurement problems i will have,as for the fabric idk really where to get it and what to look for,the harness i'm still thinking about and the top itself i was thinking of basing myself of of this person http://imgur.com/a/yJHcF#7nLY8
>>
>>9239735
i have made some measurements based on adam's build i converted his measurements to CM
although adam is a lot smaller then me i am 205cm
so i might have to adapt those measurements a lot i was going to do the paper framework indeed and see how much spacing i really need inside of totoro,should i like be able to spread my arms a lot or just bend and lowerd is enough?
url spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yaLn2ead29SKdaxhLP_QSAZ2LNT2edtFKCB2ZMIgY3E/edit#gid=0
>>
File: toto hold the line.jpg (274KB, 668x890px) Image search: [Google]
toto hold the line.jpg
274KB, 668x890px
>>9239702
>its mainly measurement problems i will have
Take that picture of Totoro, think how big you want a specific part like the smile to be IRL and now you've got a scale to work with. Use this to cut out strokes of paper/cardboard and adjust these until you're happy with it.

For example: if the smile should be 100cm wide, each square would equal 10cm as the smile is 10 squares wide. Knowing this line A is roughly 14 squares wide, or 140cm. This will the diameter of that ring, which you can multiply by pi (3.14) to find the circumference of that ring and thus how much tube it needs. So in this case for ring A it would have a circumference of roughly 440 centimetres.
The same can be done for line B. 19 squares = 190 centimetres in diameter = roughly 597 centimetres circumference.

Reposted: Forgot picture
>>
why are y'all spoonfeeding this walnut instead of telling her to take her shit to the help thread
>>
Well i messed up with the" pvc tubing" it snapped almost immediately i used a bending rod but it broke still,like friends suggest now maybe find a place to buy rods of reed,idk where though i was checking on the internet how people make hoop skirts these days and maybe flexible poly piping might work? what do you guys suggest also
>>9239826
i'm sorry i'm new to this board. all i ask is for help :/
>>
>>9240399
i would try to find the material adam was using. was super flexible and looked cheap.

i am from belgium aswel, and was about to start making the same cosplay, now i'll find something else. have i seen your work before on facts?
>>
>>9241734
I second this, riet isn't that expensive online. Alternatively I wonder how EVA foam would hold up, the 1cm thick kind I use is rather solid and I wouldn't be too surprised if say 2x1x1cm strips would be able to keep it in shape.
>>
>>9241804
would eva foam be extra bendable when heated?
>>
>>9242630
>would eva foam be extra bendable when heated?
You've never cosplayed before, have you?
>>
>>9241734
I'm probably going to go to AVA Papierwaren tomorrow it was suggested by a hobby shop in Antwerp,maybe you are willing to talk with me on this in dutch on a social platform?
My Kik is "RosaVanWinkle" anyone else interested in helping me or if i can help you feel free of course
>>9242630
>>9242655
eva foam is probably one of the easiest things to bend when heated although for totoro it wont be that handy,i know someone *cough in this thread* that uses it a lot :)
>>
https://youtu.be/L9O3KWrvxKA
>>
>>9242892
already using that reference since it came out on there site :)
>>
>>9242655
yes i have, but i have not used eva, especcially bended until it was in a circle..
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.