[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sewing Machines, Embroidery Machines and Sergers, Oh my.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: PE770_beauty.jpg (116KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
PE770_beauty.jpg
116KB, 1024x683px
Starting up a thread because we don't have one and I'm thinking about getting my own embroidery machine. I'm very experienced with the Brother PE-770 at my makerspace but know how valuable it would be to have one in my home. But I was wondering if people had other recommendations for home machines before I just get something in my comfort zone.
>>
>>9180128

I can't answer your question OP but I have a question of my own too. I'm a complete newbie to sewing and thinking of getting a Janome 525S. I have the money and I'm looking for a solid investment machine, it's also the same machine a local sewing class uses so I'm hoping to get some experience there too.

Can anyone vouch for it or do they have any warnings they want to make known?
>>
>>9183414
Not a lot of Amazon reviews to go by. But if you're a noob and it's what your local shop teaches on then do it. I teach basic sewing and it's a struggle because my shop just replaced the old, user friendly a chines for some higher quality machines that come at the cost of a higher learning curve. It will be incredibly valuable to have someone who knows your specific machine
>>
>>9180128
If you already have access to one, it's probably not very useful to also have one at home? I got an embroidery machine almost two years ago, and while I'm thankful to have one, and love the projects I've made with it, I haven't used it nearly as much as I thought I would. Not to mention you still have to shell out for digitizing software if you want to do fun stuff.
Unless you plan on churning out an ungodly amount of lace, or something else that would be difficult to do in a makerspace, I think your money would be better spent elsewhere.
>>
>>9183426
My makerspace has a good software. I figure I can start a small store if I have my own because I don't have to share it with other people and I can keep it running throughout the whole day. Then again I can totally seen myself getting it and not using it. But at least I have a plan I guess. I'll start with dice bags because D&D players always seem to have money to burn on game accessories.
>>
>>9180128
If it's a machine that you're used to, then I say go for it. I started with Viking and will always recommend it (as well as the software, which is also made my Pfaff, and makes almost any format file). I actually just upgraded away from Viking though and got an industrial machine that has its own software.
>>
What's a good beginner serger? I'm experienced in sewing on a normal machine, but I've never used a serger before.
>>
>>9184850
Brother 1034D is the one I've seen people recommend the most
>>
>>9183414
I don't know exactly what make it is but I got given a Janome as my first machine and I've got on brilliantly with it. The only prior experience I had was a couple of attempts back in school and I picked up threading/using/matinence without help and without problems. I've now had it for seven years without a problem, and it's survived going back and forth to uni and being carried in and out of London for sewing parties. The only thing I wish it had was a feature to set it so it finishes a stitch with the needle down. Would definetly recommend.
>>
I've recently come in to a really nice job, and I really enjoy saving up for big purchases. I was thinking about getting an embroidery machine but I don't feel like I can justify it. I don't know what I would use it for.
I enjoy hand embroidering but most of that stuff, I frame or give away to family members/friends. I never put it on clothes because I'm terrified of it being too delicate.

I can't think of what I would put on clothes to be honest. Or what kind of clothes or where.

So I guess my question is, what do you guys usually embroider? What do you do with it?
>>
>>9185143
Look through the galleries and tutrials on this site.

http://www.urbanthreads.com/gallery.aspx

Also if you're in your twenties and have to go to a wedding every damn weekend, embroidered hand towels are a nice inexpensive gift.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.