[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Texas Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4

File: image.png (86KB, 2000x1952px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
86KB, 2000x1952px
What is the latest, Texas gulls?
>>
>>9178545
Not too much going on, I think.

Summer cons are over so now we have a few months until anything else.

I think ANT is next? And maybe some random comic cons sprinkled around the state.
>>
>>9178545
Reynosa fag here, going to the Gamers Con at McAllen tomorrow.
>>
Probably going to Alamo City Comic Con in October. Is it any good?
>>
>>9179356
Onicon is Halloweekend. I know it sucks but it's still a con.
>>
Not much, Just old women winning cosplay contests with shitty embroidery on a dress. winning as a character from a British comedy at an anime convention
>>
>>9179398
oh wow i was born there. didn't expect nerds crossing the border for US cons tho.

>>9179416
if you're not into western or comic stuff, or too used to anime cons, not really. it's really big though and usually a lot to do. crowded af and lots of waiting in line for celebs though if that's an issue for you.

>>9179356
>>9179429
Onicon seems to be stepping its game up with lolita programming though. They have Chantilly and Minori coming. Seems like it'll be a lot of fun. I know a lot of people in my friend circle enjoyed it last year.
>>
>>9179474
Wow someones salty. It was a good cosplay, get over it.
>>
>>9179474
since when do cosplays have to be from an anime to win in cosplay contests? literally every texas con besides maybe afest is all inclusive, as it should be. i'm sorry you lost anon, but don't be bitter.
>>
>>9179474
Sorry you lost anon but maybe you could stereo up your game instead of bitching on /cgl/ ,It will be more productive.
>>
>>9179483
Alamo is just pop culture. It's not exclusive to western comics. They have anime voice actors visiting and eastern cosplays winning competitions.
>>
>>9179483
They have to pick up AM's slack, kek.
>>
Any gulls interested in tabletop roleplaying games like d&d?
>>
>>9179416
Yooo same here man! Also going to the houston renfair in oct.
>>
>>9180192
I am, I like to play some D&D and Dragonquest when they work with my schedule.

Not really a con, but I'm definitely going to the Texas ren faire this year. Deciding between being a Norse shieldmaiden or a pirate.
>>
>>9180301
Yooo so am i! Norse shield maiden sounds badass
>>
Who's going to Alamo and dressed as what?
>>
>>9180517
I'm going n I'm dressing as your mom.
>>
File: 4 chan Reynosa la tierrosa.jpg (121KB, 1251x206px) Image search: [Google]
4 chan Reynosa la tierrosa.jpg
121KB, 1251x206px
>>9179483
Just came back from Gamers Con, it was OK but Cortana´s voice actress quickly left and I got a hug from Chel´s voice actress.

Well I go to conventions in the RGV because the ones at Reynosa suck. Hectorama is a terrible place, with terrible hygiene. Not sure why people love that place.
>>
Anyone planning on seeing Kizu in Austin? I think I'm going to try to make the Sunday screening since I got work on Saturday.
>>
>>9180379
Going to try wearing it during the barbarian weekend if I can get it all together in time. I've been making my own chainmail shirt for it too.

>>9180517
Also going to ACCC, will probably be Death (from The Sandman) and Luna Lovegood (lion hat included). Will be a busy autumn for me.
>>
>>9180301
there's a d&d convention where they run an epic game. My boyfriend went to the last one and said he had a blast. I want to make it out to the next one. He said nobody dressed up but he wants to and I would Love to make his costume and make one for myself. I run a druid, so that would be a lot of fun. He's a barbarian, so I would have to make him some armor. I was hoping some other people might also dress up. If they're only on their second con, I think it's possible that it would catch on. You should come!
>>
>>9179474
>>9179651
Not sure why everyone in this thread is a whiny cunt who gets ass hurt by someone saying british shit has no place at an anime convention. Go fuck off to your school's Halloween contest if you want to enter an all inclusive costume contest you stupid fucks.
>>
>>9180976
Sounds neat, what's the name of it?
>>
>>9181004
Why should the contest be anime only when the programming allows for western panels? Guests from Western media? I'm sorry but Anime cons haven't been strictly anime cons in like 8 years. If you're so pissy about it you can go to Ushicon. It's a whole con full of people who wish the kids would just get off their lawn. You'll fit right in!
>>
>>9180976
Yeah, what event is that?
>>
>>9181004
Not sure why you're so pissed about this one contest in general? Where was your impotent rage last year when something non-Japanese won? Where were you when people won awards for other non-Japanese stuff at all the major cons in Tx? Why are you just now bringing this all up? The everything goes as long as there's source material rule has been in place at all the larger cons for YEARS now. Are you new and just didn't know until now? It's really no big deal, I can't understand why you'd get so buttblasted all of a sudden over this one contest...unless you were one of the contestants at San Japan this year and you're so assmad you're here making yourself look like a fool.
>>
>>9181295
It's because they entered the contest and didn't get a single award... I guarantee it.
>>
>>9181545
That's what I figured, their saltiness over it was far too specific.
>>
>>9181545
lol people get so whiny when they don't win! Blows my mind how much shade gets thrown at winners just because they won.
>>
>>9181581
>>9181718
I bet we could figure out who it is. It has to be someone who was in the masters category (like the winner) that did an anime cosplay.
>>
>>9181813
Well there weren't that many masters so it shouldn't be too hard. Just wait for the cosplay contest video to come out in about a week and look for all the anime costumes in that category and we could narrow it down from there.
>>
>>9181813
>>9182042
Forgot to add it's probably someone who is younger since they seem to be so ignorant of the fact that western stuff has been allowed in Tx cons for years now.
>>
Any conventions going on in the North Texas area?
>>
>>9182043
San Japan specifically has never had any sort of J media only restriction at their contest. It's always been inclusive. The only thing they've ever restricted is their hall contest, which spent a few years cycling through being video game and then live action specific, and even that contest is back to being all inclusive again. So to get buttmad is just so out of touch.

So unrelated, it's my first time going to PAX south this year. I've been to Dragon Con a few times, that's the only large non-anime con I've been to. Obviously they're totally different, but what kind of similarities and differences can I expect?
>>
>>9182772
Prepare to be disappointed. PAX South isnt really anything like the other cons and ends up being a really expensive way to buy stuff you could get online cheaper and thats pretty much all there is to do.
>>
>>9182490
Anime North Texas is in November.
>>
>>9182785
Let's imagine for a second that I really only go to cons for guests and cosplay and don't ever buy things at cons. Is there anything for me there?
>>
>>9182832
You can check out the booths and play their game demos, but the lines are awful and so far their developer lineup hasn't been great. I've gone the past couple of years but unless they get some big names I'll probably skip out this time. You're better off going to SXSW Gaming.
>>
Had anyone gone to ikkicon since tent con? Has it improved since then?
>>
>>9182911
Significantly. Now instead of being a train wreck it's just solidly mediocre.
>>
>>9182832
Guests are meh and PAX has very little cosplay beyond people wearing a themed hat or shirt and the odd Master Chief here and there so...no.
>>
>>9181004
Itt undesirable women bitch about other undesirable women over costume contests.
>>
>>9182832
Nope, there is nothing for you then.
Unless you care about game developers.

I go to cons for cosplay and PAX South has been boring the past 2 years I've gone.
I hear the older PAXs are better about it but South was shit.
>>
>>9182911
It got better and then it got worse. The move to the Arboreum made last year's experience truly unpleasant; there just isn't enough room at that hotel.
>>
>>9183805
It's a really small space. Hopefully they at least get more rooms this year.
>>
how's the Metroplex Lolitas group? i'm thinking about joining as my first real comm, but it'd be nice to hear other peoples' experiences prior.
>>
>>9184327
They already had the entire hotel last year. Do you expect to them put some tents outside to accommodate everyone?
>>
>>9184347
Better asking in the local comm thread? They're fine though, generally nice girls and pretty active.
>>
Anyone gearing up for ANT?
>>
>>9180976
Please share with us this D&D event, anon.

>>9181236
>>9181195
>>
>>9182911
so what actually happened at "tent con"
I avoided the con after my friends went to it and said it sucked, but i never heard about this
>>
>>9186292
Waiting to hear if this con is still happening before I start prepping. Lack of updates is killing me but it's not surprising.
>>
>>9186981
It's happening. I don't know why they aren't announcing anything but panel submissions are open and cosplay sign ups start in October.
>>
>>9186950
Ikkicon decided it would be a "nice change of scenery" to have the cosplay contest outside in a tent. The host was fucking terrible (he kept mispronouncing names and kept making people go faster than they wanted), people would were walking in specific shoes or high heels couldn't walk because of the concrete, the skits didn't have any audio so it was so hard to hear them, and not only that but the concerts and raves were also in the tent. It was a terrible decision and i'm glad they've learned from their mistakes.
>>
>>9187086
>Costume contest
>outside
>texas
BUAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>9187143
Well Texas winters are generally pretty mild but yeah it was pretty bad.
>>
What is the latest drama? This thread never disappoints
>>
>>9187969
It's been quiet.
>>
>>9187969
Thank god. The drama has been forced so far this year.
>>
>>9186810
OP still hasn't delivered so I went looking myself. They may be referring to the North Texas RPG Con.

There's also a ton of misc. other gaming cons sprinkled around the state so it could be one of those, too.
>>
>>9188369
How so?
>>
>>9183805
What would be a better hotel to have it in?
>>
>>9188739
There are plenty of hotels in the Austin area that have the capacity to hold a convention that size. While Ikkicon isn't a fairly large convention, it's much too big for the hotel it's at currently. Anyone know how long the contract with the Arboretum is?
>>
>>9188924
I think this year and next and after that theyre supposed to go back to the Hilton on 6th street. I believe they got outbid these 3 years ar the Hilton and thats why they had to go to the Arboretum. Dont know that for sure though, just the rumor floating around.
>>
File: f80.jpg (21KB, 600x330px) Image search: [Google]
f80.jpg
21KB, 600x330px
>alamo still hasn't posted panel schedule
>>
>>9189590
I know your pain. They announced a Time Force cast member. Saw the blue ranger last year, now i get to see red. If only i got to see the quantum ranger, still hype tho.
>>
>>9180220
Mfw > Houston Renfair
>>
File: ANT_postcard.jpg (448KB, 1280x896px) Image search: [Google]
ANT_postcard.jpg
448KB, 1280x896px
What about ANT?

I've gathered from reading the Texas threads here that, since it's run by the Ikkicon folks, it's a similar experience: rising to mediocre in the best years. Lately I've only been to AnimeFest, though, and enjoyed the hell out of it, so what should I expect from ANT?

ANT Veterans have any comments or suggestions?
>>
>>9194759
It's exactly as expected. Small tier con in a smaller hotel. Nothing big about it. Not worth the badge price, though last year they had a groupon running so hopefully they'll do that again.
Last year they had the holiday parade during the con and that fucked with traffic on the last day. This year will be the same plus a football game that Saturday.

There are a few good photoshoot locations in the area if you feel like traveling from the con. Water gardens are right across the street, botanic gardens are about 5 minutes away, other parks are in the area. Lots of good foodwithin walking distance of the hotel. Just don't expect a big con or anything seasoned like that and you're good. It's very small.
>>
>>9194759
it's small and laid back. Nothing like A-kon but it's a great con to take pictures at because of how much smaller it is
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.