[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinks you hate to do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 8

What do you hate to do but it's necessary and you can't skip past it? Tell us your hatred of sewing, prop making, dressing up, etc.
>>
>thinks
Thread already sucks.
>>
I hate sewing, but most of that seems to just be because I have a shitty Singer Inspiration sewing machine that jams almost all the time so 50% of my time spent sewing something is spent fixing the machine and unthreading things.
>>
>>9173615
Oh jeez.
I have a Singer Inspiration and I thought this was normal. It's my first sewing machine, though.

On topic though, I hate sewing trim. I love having trim on things but I don't like the actual process of putting it there.
>>
i love dressing up, but i hate people looking at me.
>>
>>9173628
Same, I just wish weird flashy clothes were normalized so that I could dress however I want without drawing so much attention to myself.
>>
>>9173628
I have these feels in regards to cosplay.
>Love making cosplay
>Love wearing cosplay
>Hate having people approach me in cosplay
>Hate getting photos
>>
cutting out pattern pieces is the bane of my fucking existence.
>>
I hate cutting out fabric! Basically if I have to use scissors I'm not happy'
>>
I haaaaaate sewing in sleeves. It's so frustrating to make sure that it looks even the whole way around, fits right in the arm hole, and then when you fuck up and have to seam rip? Disgusting.
>>
Dealing with sharpies, omg. I bought 2 silver sharpies and 2 black sharpies, 3 of them dried out after outlining about 5 or 10 patterns each. Normally I can outline 100+ patterns before worrying out that. So annoying.

I hate bobbins too, I hate finish sewing something, only to find out that the bobbin ran out of thread and almost none of it actually sewn. There needs to be a buzzer or something when the bobbin runs out <.<
I just hate having to add more thread to it too anyways.
>>
>>9173660
>line up pattern
>mark fabric
>re-line up pattern
>marks look good
>cut piece
>line up piece to pattern one last time
>fucked
why
>>
File: sewing.jpg (14KB, 300x166px) Image search: [Google]
sewing.jpg
14KB, 300x166px
>>9173579
Pinning. Putting in all those fucking pins only to take them out a minute later.
>>
>Sanding props
>Sewing gloves
>Making patterns
>Concealing eyebrows
>Applying bald caps
>Working with spirit gum/prosaid in general
>Shaving
>>
cutting patterns and fixing fit issues, and also sanding. I hate sanding.. it feels gross and takes forever
>>
I have a love/hate relationship with sewing ruffles.

>>9173701
This too. Especially when two mirrored pattern pieces turn out different even though I cut them on the fold and re-checked a hundred times before cutting and the fabric isn't even stretchy or slippery so seriously what the hell
>>
I hate cutting pattern pieces because the measurements on the envelope are so varied from the actual pattern. With a 40" bust, 33" waist and 42" hips the size 18-20 in most commercial patterns should work acording to their own damn envelope but once again I'm finding I have to bring it down to 12-14 and rip up my mockup.
>>
>>9173774
>commercial pattern measurements
Argh
I hate how they hardly ever list anything but bust/waist/hips. I have several patterns for jackets and fitted blazers that don't mention anything about shoulder width or sleeve length. Sleeve length is relatively easy to work around by just cutting it longer than intended and then shortening if necessary, but if I knew how to do that with the shoulder section of bodice pieces I wouldn't be using commercial patterns in the first place.
I'm a US size 6 in bust and waist but a US 12 in hips and I have 18" wide shoulders so trying to get a commercial pattern to fit me is a nightmare. I really need to learn how to draft.
>>
I love making cosplays that challenge me, but then figuring out how I'm actually going to wear them is a bitch and a half, I hate it.
>>
>>9173690
I used to have the bobbin problem but my current sewing machine actually has a transparent lid on the bobbin case (? whatever it's called) so I can see the bobbin at all times and always know when I'm about to run out of thread. It's the best thing ever.

Things that I hate:
Making props, just not my thing
Prewashing fabric, I get so impatient waiting for the fabric to dry afterwards
Cutting fabric, takes forever and I have to do it on the floor due to space constraints and it really fucks up my joints
>>
Crawling around on the floor to cut fabric makes me turn into a dragon of anger.

Also body paint. I love how it looks, but I hate spending an hour just for the base coat, and I hate wearing it, and I hate having to touch it up in photos, and I hate that no matter how well sealed it is I'll still rub off on my shirt collar.
>>
Putting on makeup. Wearing makeup. I hate how it feels on my face. I hate how long it takes to apply. I hate how I can't touch my face.
>>
File: sleeves.png (186KB, 500x2000px) Image search: [Google]
sleeves.png
186KB, 500x2000px
>>9173685
I hate sewing sleeves too, but doing it like pic related has made the process so much more tolerable.
>>
>sanding
>sanding styrofoam especially

I wear two sets of headphones and blast my music, but it still makes me cringe
>>
>>9174055
Saving this image for future. Remember last time this was brought up and there was a argument for 2 weeks about it. Good times.

This method shaves so much time off sewing this.
But it doesn't work for everything.

What do I hate?
Set in sleeves. Got one costume 90% done, just waiting for sleeves to go in.
>>
Packing. There's nothing I hate more then packing for cons.

What ever little thing you don't pack will turn out to be the one thing you need.
>>
>>9174040
This 100%. I don't wear makeup often for this exact reason.
>>
>>9173701
>not just pinning pattern
>not realizing that if the grain is crooked, the whole thing can shift once moved
>>
>>9173579
Washing my lolita items. I'm lazy and throw as much as possible in the machine in a garment bag on a gentle cycle with gentle detergent, but I still end up having to handwash stuff in the bath and I loathe it.
>>
>>9174065
>>9174055
>>9173685

Ya'll pussies. That's what they stupid dots and clips on the pattern are for.
>>
>>9173711
go pin-less anon.
>>
>>9174077
I don't use commerical patterns.
>>
I suck at sewing zippers. I have looked through tutorials and such but still I can't make it look good.
>>
>>9174097
*commercial
>>
>>9174040
Makeup is horrific. It takes too long to apply, and no matter how well you clean it, there's always some foundation residue on your face or neck or something. Ew.
>>
>>9173888
That doesn't help since you still can't see the bobbin while sewing, unless you are sewing something very small I guess
>>
I HATE ironing with a passion. I avoid a good portion of it with my steamer, but nothing replaces an iron for touching up collars, pleats, etc.
>>
Sewing,
because apparently I'm retarded and don't know how to work my machine.
The first few times I did anything it was amazing, now every time I try to sew the thread just jams and freezes my machine and breaks.
>>
>>9174220
I had this problem too. I thought it was me and almost gave up sewing. Then I got a Brother. Never looked back.
>>
>>9173584
I things doth protect too muck
>>
>>9174234
Brother's are awesome. I used to cuss like a Sailor when I used my mom's old singer, my bobbins would get tangled or snapped. I've never had any issues with my bruh.
>>
>>9174097
If you're not drafting with marks/clips you're just making life hard for yourself.
>>
>>9174239
I've had pretty good results with my moms 30 year old singer. My pain and suffering came from a new "beginner" Singer model.
>>
>>9174234
I don't want to quit sewing but I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. My friend said she'd come over to look over my machine but we've been so busy we can't make time.
Luckily I live down the street from one of the certified repair shops so I could always box it up and take it down there if I'm desperate.
>>
>>9174254
Same. I'm using my mom's old Singer that's ten years older than I am and hasn't been serviced since it was bought but it still runs wonderfully. Whereas my MIL's fancy new Singer shits itself once a month it seems. I really should bring it by a shop at some point to have it checked over but it's doing so well that it keeps slipping my mind.
>>
Making patterns, though thankfully I've lately stopped being a pretentious dumbass and started buying and altering them. There is literally no reason to continue spending >8 hours trying to get a self-drafted pattern acceptable when I can get perfectly fine results with a store-bought one and then spend more time on finishing details and overall craftsmanship.

I also suck at smiling in photos without looking vapid or deranged, but that's something for practice.

>>9173934
>no matter how well sealed it is I'll still rub off on my shirt collar
PAX, my friend. I had the same problem with body paint for about two years, until I bit the bullet and invested in a bottle of Pros-Aide. It's so fucking worth the money. I can't believe I went so long with just tolerating fucked-up collars and human skin showing at the edges of my clothing - now I still paint my face with BN and Mehron, but I PAX the underside of my chin and my neck/decolletage. I just spent an eight-hour convention in body paint and a white-collared dress shirt, and the only residue on my shirt collar was a very faint dusting of powder that had fallen off my face.

>fucking
>buy
>Pros-Aide
>>
Hemming the bottom of dresses/skirts that feel like theyre 10 miles long. Its always like "I must be close to the end now!!" but I'm only halfway done.
>>
I wish hand sewing was much faster because I prefer it to sewing machines ;_;
>>
>>9174295
I hate the measuring and folding and pinning of long hems but love it when I actually get to put them through the sewing machine.
>brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
>>
Make-up tests. They're usually necessary to do at least two or three times before a con and I hate it so much. It seems like such a small thing but it can really make or break the rest of the outfit. Add in the fact that I'm a perfectionist and it becomes a whole process of me tweaking every little thing.
>>
>>9174290
I've been using PAX, but if I don't wear something showing off my collar or lots of my neck I usually skip because removing it from the neck is a terribly unpleasant experience to me. Especially if it's just a meetup and not a con. Also, PAX is if anything MORE terrible to apply...

Godsend for anything else, though.
>>
>>9174499
Ohh I feel you. I did my first bodypaint cosplay recently and I had to do 4-5 makeup tests over the span of 6 months. So much product was bought and wasted because I ended up finding out that something wasn't the color I wanted, it wasn't the consistency I was looking for, etc.
It helped a lot because my makeup at the con was so much better than any of the tests, but god that was an ordeal.
>>
Pants, especially the waistband because it never fits like it's supposed to.
>>
>>9174273
The older singers really are better, the insides are made from metal which lasts longer. I have one that I got for $30 at a thrift shop that has been going strong for 10 years now. It even has little disks that make the stitching change so I can sew things like lycra.
The singer I had before this one was a newer one that broke constantly, and I eventually gave up on it.
>>
File: water.png (149KB, 400x408px) Image search: [Google]
water.png
149KB, 400x408px
Pattern drafting and makeup are the worse for me, the absolute worst.
Having sciatica, I can't kneel or sit awkwardly on the floor for a long period of time. My apartment isn't large enough to have a table were I can properly sit and plan, so I have to kneel on the floor to spread out pattern pieces, which push a lot of pressure on my lower back (even with a pillow for support).
I know next to nothing when it comes to make-up, basically, I try to self-teach myself, which always ends up a major failure. I usually try to ask siblings who work at Sephora and stuff, but I always end up looking like a hideous clown.
>>
Sleeves. SLEEVES. Mostly patterning them, but sewing is also a ball ache. Also anything involving modding shoes/boots.
>>
>>9174309
That onomatopoeia made me smile, that relaxing sound popped into my mind the instant I read it!
>>
Threading my serger. Fuck that shit, anything requiring tweezers and my serger kills me.
>>
>>9174997
Fucking this. And if there's just one thing slightly off you have to stop and rethread the whole thing. I get mega lazy when it comes to the thread colors & try and avoid changing it.
>>
sewing with fur, zippers, and chest darts on dresses.
>>
>>9174073
holy shit is this actually the problem?
>>
I hate sewing full stop. If I can commission all sewing parts I will.
>>
>>9174055
wait, is that not how it's normally done? I've sewn one garment (a tunic with bell sleeves; I have literally only had my machine since April), and this is what the pattern had me do. Thank god for simple nativity patterns that even beginners like me can't screw up.

Also yeah, new Brothers are the best. I'm really happy my more experienced cosplay friends steered me away from the Singers.
>>
>>9174581
Oh god I feel your pain with the PAX though. It's been two days and I'm still picking it out of the tiny hairs that escaped my wig cap because I forgot to spray everything up. I actually needed to take a pair of scissors and clip off some of the most troublesome strands.

Things that have helped me take off PAX in the past:
>standing under a hot shower, as hot as you can get it
>dandruff shampoo
>>
Drafting patterns, making mock-up #1, 2nd draft, mock-up #2, 3rd & master/final draft, drafting out every single little piece, then lining pieces because they're a little different, ironing the base fabric, folding/pinning/cutting the pieces for least amount of fabric, pinning forever and sewing, removing the pins before the needle comes to them every 1-1.5 inches, then ironing every single seam again on both sides...repeat for the lining pieces... The whole sewing thing is so repetitive and every step is 5 minutes per seam/side X a billion times. I try to make my costumes look professional and machine-washable, so even a simple school uniform ends up taking a month to complete. Making and sewing custom trims and details like endless bias tape and hidden snaps everywhere is another level of tedium.

>>9174635
Mock-ups are your friend, even if they're tedious, especially if the final fabric is expensive.

>>9174073
>>9175089
Wait what there are people who don't pin a pattern? I mean I understand if it's like vinyl or some thick material that cannot be pinned at all (in which case you trace), but if it's plain fabric, you pin...and use weights if it's slippery.

>>9175059
Fuck fur, I always end up choking on loose fibers in the air since you have to trim off the excess in the seams before sewing..

>>9175191
It's not. It's a simple shortcut that is definitely fine with simple projects or ones that you're not trying to custom-tailor or a very complex garment.
>>
>>9173579
Cutting out patterns and fabric and sewing. I love prop making and wig styling. I just loathe the sewing process.
>>
Sewing on collars, especially dress collars. Most things that require me to sew in a circle makes me want to lie down and give up.
>>
>>9175269
>Wait what there are people who don't pin a pattern?
Not them, but sometimes even if I pin it, it somehow slides away. It's so bizarre.
>>
>>9175293
I think it might have to do with those very slight variations you get in the grain and bias from the fabric not being 100% straight and flat. I have a friend that insists she gets a couple people to pull on each end of her fabrics while she marks to try and prevent this. None of us think it makes a difference and are annoyed when she asks but she helps with our stuff so we deal with it.
>>
>>9175293
>>9175329
I've seen someone try to get around it by pinning down the fabric into floor carpeting first, then pinning the pattern in. I don't know how well it worked for her since she's the type to always complain about something wrong with her costumes no matter what/how she sews.

For me, I always iron the fabric first to get it as flat as possible, and do the pinning on a hard surface. If I sense the fabric warping, I re-pin in different angles until it doesn't shift anymore. Sometimes it means pinning different parts of a pattern in completely opposite or perpendicular directions.
>>
>>9174055
But then you don't get the proper sleeve positioning, or the ease which gives your arm that little bit more wiggle room to move.
>>
>>9175782
Sleeve positioning works fine for me as long as the middle of the sleeve lines up with the shoulder seam. Wiggle room comes from making the pattern a little bigger than your actual measurement.
Not taking into account complicated patterns, obviously.
>>
Gathering. Also hemming circle skirts. Thing with gathering is that even if I hand gather with multiple lines and a thousand pins it never comes out even. I swear I've tried every trick. I even bought a gathering foot but I don't even know if it works. Sucks especially when I have all these ballgown cosplays on my dream cosplay wish list.
>>
Heming or binding anything circular. I make a lot of capes and they make me want to die.
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 450x450px
Styling wigs.
I just seem to ruin any wig I have to do any kind of styling to. If it has bangs I need to trim I'll cut them too blunt and end up looking like Yolandi Visser or the girl from Lazy Town. I can never properly layer the ends of my wigs so that the cut looks natural.
I guess working with any kind of priceier materials is very stressful for me because I try to very carefully budget out my costumes. I try to remind myself that it isn't a total waste of money if you learned something from the mistake.
>>
>>9175032
A trick is to just snip off the old colour at the spool, tie the new colour thread together with it, and then run it until the old thread is run out and you're onto the new colour. If that makes any sense!

It made my life so much easier.
>>
>>9175258
My method is to slather it in lotion, let sink in, wipe off and then take a razor to it to tear small holes in the paint! Makes it easier for hot water to get in and loosen it up (:
>>
Styling wigs makes me wanna die, especially cause all my friends ask me to style their wigs and I can't say no since I've seen how bad they destroy those wigs and I want them to look good. Plus styling wigs to fit my face/ head is such a pain in the ass cause it's so much switching between wig on me and wig on a wighead to make sure it's all even and doesn't cover my eyes.
>>
File: Capture.png (631KB, 680x529px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
631KB, 680x529px
>>9175840
When hemming circle skirts I usually just make a matching lining layer and sew them like a pillowcase. Or for my circle skirt class, which is mostly total noobs, I give them lots of twill tape for the tape method.

http://byhandlondon.com/blogs/by-hand-london/11628909-nerdy-sewing-tips-3-ways-to-hem-a-curve
>>
Basting.

Someday I'll create a machine that does it for me.
>>
>>9175954
You don't cut it on a wig head, do you?
>>
>>9176269
Yeah I usually just do a lining tho it can be a waste depending on the outfit. Didn't even think about using twill tape. thanks for the tip!
>>
>>9175191
I have a twenty year old Japanese machine (like this but in pink), the spool has broken, it still works, but I'm a beginner and am having a hell of a time figuring out the right tension for the thread, it keeps breaking and stuff keeps bunching up. So far I haven't made anything fancy with expensive fabrics, or anything where the look of the stitches is important, just a bunch of place mats and sheets. Definitely putting a Brother on my Christmas wish list.
>>
>>9177274
forgot link: http://aucview.aucfan.com/yahoo/g130185810/
>>
fuck glove thumbs
>>
>>9175269
>Mock-ups are your friend, even if they're tedious, especially if the final fabric is expensive.
I know, I do that but it's still super tedious and I often manage to fuck shit up anyway because I'm great like that.
>>
For everyone complaining about pinning their pattern pieces to fabric - use weights instead. Just buy a bunch of weights from a fishing store or something and use that to hold down your patterns instead.

And if you're dealing with slippery fabric, tape some calico or similar fabric to your table, then lay the slippery fabric on top of that. It'll stick to your fabric and won't move around anywhere near as much.
>>
>>9175965
Its better to pull the thread through, sometimes your knots can get stuck in the parts that control tension and snap your thread.
>>
Putting in zippers. Don't know why, just fucking hate it. Also, sewing tulle for petticoats
>>
>>9173660
Oh man I feel this. I love cutting the pieces out of the big paper and folding them, but once it comes to cutting them out of fabric I can't stand it
>>
>>9175841
>>9175840
Tip for hemming circle skirts because I HATE it too, sew just straight around where you plan to fold up your fabric, it almost acts like a crease and makes folding/hemming the skirt evenly easier.

Personally I hate having to sew set in sleeves, but I find doing 2 rows of ease stitching always helps. Hate sewing them but I love how it looks when it's done.
I use the method in >>9174055 when I can but that only really ever works for knit things.
>>
>>9176274
I set stitch length to 5 on my Brother machine to baste for me
>>
>>9177274
When was the last time you had it serviced? It might be hard to find a service technician for a Japanese machine, but it probably needs it, especially if the lower tension is fucked up.
>>
File: 1351540545410.jpg (337KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1351540545410.jpg
337KB, 1000x1000px
>>9173660
>>9173701
>attempt to move pattern- tissue paper flies erryware
>attempt to pin pattern- it shreds
>Iron pattern just a little too hot- it curls
>Try to fit pattern back into tiny packet- hahaha good luck

Seriously the worst.
>>
>>9178181
>Iron pattern just a little too hot- it curls
Somewhat related but I had to sew with stretch spandex recently and oh god the curls.
Some anons told me to try lightly ironing it or leaving it under weights for a week and I did. Still curled. I just dealt with it anyway but I hated every bit of it.
>>
>>9178178
Never. It's been in the closet forever, and it might be cheaper to get a discount brother machine than to have something done about this one.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.