[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How broad/narrow is your definition of cosplay and what outfits

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

How broad/narrow is your definition of cosplay and what outfits are considered cosplay?

Do you define any costume based off of a fictional character cosplay?

What about dressing up as real celebrities or historical icons, is that cosplay?

Does complexity matter? IE Some people say dressing up as Poison isn't really cosplay as its just a hat, jeans and a tanktop.

What if you dress up as a character in plain clothes such as jeans and a t-shirt for Hank Hill.

What if you go out of your way to dress up as a fictional character who's not the focus of the series such as dressing up as a background pedestrian in a Godzilla movie. Does it still count as cosplay?
>>
Are you dressing up in a costume? It's cosplay. Doesn't need to be a good one.

Cosplay = costume play.

/thread
>>
>>9166016
And if the costume is normal clothes that you would wear anyway, do we still consider it cosplay?
>>
>>9166031
how dumb are you?
>>
>>9166016
I actually disagree. I don't consider original costuming to be cosplay at all. IMO, it's only cosplay if you're dressed up as a fictional character from a source material of some kind.

btw, if you're going off of the strict definition of "cosplay" it's actually costume + ROLE play, so in that sense, if you're not pretending to be the character you're dressed as on some level, it's not cosplay either.
>>
>>9166016
Not OP, but do you consider Halloween costumes cosplay?

Personally, if the person wearing it calls it cosplay and it's a representation of some fictional media, I consider it cosplay (even if the costume is shit- in which case, it's a shitty cosplay). Historical reinactment/real people pieces, I don't really consider as cosplay unless the person in question is more of a persona (like iconic figures or music idols or the like).
>>
>>9165997
If you're dressed up as a fictional character based on source material, you're cosplaying. If you're dressed up as a celebrity, you're cosplaying. Wearing a vampire costume? Not so much.

I'm not a stickler about it. Just because it's plain clothes, that doesn't make it less of a cosplay. It's more than tossing on whatever is in your closet (yes, you can fuck up a simple cosplay and those are always the worst). I think the fact that we have to ask these questions now is what's wrong with the community as a whole. It's not just about dressing up and enjoying a piece of media anymore; now there are 'rules' about what makes it a 'real' cosplay and it's ridiculous. Even a terrible cosplay is still a cosplay.
>>
>>9166053
Well there is a point.

We don't consider people who dress up for larp in cosplay or people who wear costumes for movies cosplay.
>>
>>9166061
Curious, would you consider just simply posing as the character for photos count enough for the roleplay category even if a person does not make an effort to channel the character's personality inbetween shots?
>>
>>9166061
I consider OC costumes to be cosplay because you're still portraying a character, even if it's one you created. If Someone creates a non-profit costume that also has no associated character traits, (ie generic pirate) that's the only thing I don't consider cosplay.
>>
>>9166957
Where did non-profit come from I have no idea what I meant to type there
>>
>>9166016
I agree with this. I'm with Japan's definition of コスプレ. And even sexy santa outfits are labeled コスプレ there. E.g. http://santacosplays.2han-store.com/
>>
>>9167039
I see what you're saying anon, but I think in the western world it makes a lot of sense to have "costumes" and then "cosplay" have different meanings. Why bring in a word from a different language when we already have one that has a universally understood meaning in english? A "costume" is any sort of attire where you're dressing up as something or someone else. A cosplay is the same, but has that...for lack of a better word, nerdy connotation and is worn for personal and subcultural reasons rather than a universally socially accepted reason to wear a costume, such as for a spirit week or Halloween (even though you can wear a cosplay ON Halloween, that's a fault in my logic I guess...). I think the difference is distinct and important; when I join a cosplay sales group on facebook, I'm not looking for a bunch of costumes I can buy from Party City. It's hard to put into words what differentiates a cosplay from a costume since it can run the gamut from disney characters to ponies to anime, but...
>>
Dressing up as a character = cosplay.

Actually doing it well on the other hand...
>>
For me it's cosplay when it's a costume of a fictional character orwell-known person. It's also important that the outfit has some form of source material (just slapping on a wig with your everyday clothes is not cosplay unless the character wears the exact same clothes)

I am not sure what I feel about OC cosplay. It technically is correct, but I've seen so many "Faun OC cosplays" which are only flows clothes with a wig, antlers and Faun make up, and I don't consider them cosplays

Halloween costumes that are just "sexy panda" are not cosplay
>>
>>9166504
I'm >>9166061 and yes, I would say posing for photos "counts." You're posing in a way that's fitting for the character, after all.

>>9166957 I can jive with that. OFC I think it's a little bit harder to tell the difference between a pirate oc and a generic pirate, for example -- I believe in cases like that, it really comes down to the roleplay aspect: Are you a specific pirate (and can convey these specifics), or just "a" pirate.
>>
If you can point to a piece of media where your outfit comes from then its cosplay. It doesn't matter how simple it is, if the outfit exists somewhere else in fiction then you're gold
>>
>>9167168
You meant to say "=/="
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.