[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FanArt Cosplays

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 9

File: sunsetdragonnocosplay.png (197KB, 470x578px) Image search: [Google]
sunsetdragonnocosplay.png
197KB, 470x578px
How do you feel about cosplays of fan art?
No flutter designs are pretty popular , post pics of any good ones if you can find them. Sunsetdragon just posted this and it seems a bit snooty of her to try and choose who can and can't cosplay her designs.
>>
>you can't cosplay this
>posts photo of gijinka you can't cosplay

Is this chick new to the internet?
>>
I like them if they make sense/incorporate enough of the source material's design so that the fan art still looks like what its supposed to, if that makes sense. It shouldn't be too vague of a design to where you /have/ to say what it is for people to get it. That's why I think a lot of original design versions of characters end up failing, because they just don't look like what they're supposed to. >>9156159
For instance, this design is really pretty but I'd never guess it's supposed to be Ninetails. Partially because it's the Alola version (and it might read better next to the original Nintails cosplay) but also because the only thing that's really telling me it's a Pokemon are the ears. The part in the back doesn't really look like the tails to me (maybe it'll translate better IRL) but it's just too vague of a design. Online it works because you can put the name of what it is so people will get it, but walking around a con I would never guess it's supposed to be Ninetails.

My thoughts are probably a little all over the place and rambley, I apologize for that haha
>>
It is stupid that she posted a photo like that with a "do not steal" line. She easily could have posted a cropped version, like a head or bust shot if she wanted her followers to know what costumes she had coming. But dumb bitched will be dumb bitches, so.

Personally I like fanart cosplays. When they're well done, I think it's a great way for cosplayers to challenge themselves to do something new and different. Personally I love seeing all the dressed up versions of costume people do.

However, especially with pokemon or any kind of gijinka representation, I think the character should be recognizable almost immediately to anyone who knows the source material. Nothing more awkward than hearing someone state the source material of their cosplay when they look nothing like it.
>>
I would never have guessed Ninetails. Looks like some super sexua;ized XXHolic Glaceon. I know Alhoa pokemon have been blue, but looks like a winter/ice theme. This is just bad. 0
>>
If you're going to put a ton of effort into an original design/fanart cosplay, you better make sure it's recognizable.
>>
>>9156159
Someone commissioned her to design them a gijinka for that person to cosplay, that's why she's put the 'please do not cosplay until this person finishes theirs' line. Seems like a reasonable thing to ask for.

I personally am not a fan of cosplays of fan art/gijinka. I think the art an look nice, but I feel like it never translates to real life very well.
>>
>>9156186
Alola Ninetails is Ice/Fairy type.
>>
>>9156212
but why post it if it was commisioned ? why not give it to the cosplayer then when theyre finished with the cosplay, Post the comparison shot ??
>>
>>9156218
That would be the logical thing to do, yeah. Guess she just wants to show off her art and get more customers, rather than wait for someone to finish a cosplay that could take them x amount of months.
>>
>>9156216
Too bad it looks like some Glaceon.
>>
>>9156218
Thats what the dude who draws Jessica's outfits does. Once she's done he releases the image.
>>
She posts the full thing because what do you think will happen if someone cosplays it and then she post to her page "Omgee someone cosplayed it even though I said no and that's stealing!"

She'll be backed by everyone who likes her art, that's what will happen. So it's really not worth it to cosplay it after seeing she said no.
>>
File: kiki.png (222KB, 549x707px) Image search: [Google]
kiki.png
222KB, 549x707px
So who wants to join up and make this just to piss her off? She doesn't even have the skills for this fucking intricate design.
>>
>>9156278
I'm gonna start working on it. Who says who you can and can't cosplay unless you're fat or black
>>
Why are people still so retarded that they post full shots of a thing they don't want anyone else to cosplay? If you don't want anyone cosplaying it, don't give away the design, it's that simple.
I know >>9156273 is right, and holy shit does it piss me off. Grade A attention seeking.
>>
File: 120Should of been 3fiddy.png (28KB, 458x99px) Image search: [Google]
120Should of been 3fiddy.png
28KB, 458x99px
$120 for that though ??
>>
>>9156502

Holy shit. I know a girl who does design commissions and she gives you a front and back and how the pieces break down, and suggested materials, and it's not that much.
>>
>>9156521
Your friend is underpricing herself.

>>9156502
You can go elsewhere, but 120 is completely reasonable for a full colour, full body, personally designed illustration. Fandom artists tend to waaay underprice themselves.
>>
I don't mind cosplay from fanart, but with my experience the cis players almost never ask for permission to use the design.

It happened to me and a few friends as well and it's almost annoying. Ask for permission first.
>>
>>9156545

> You can go elsewhere, but 120 is completely reasonable for a full colour, full body, personally designed illustration.

Amen to that.

Everytime I see a fellow artist charging 40 bucks for a complete illustration I'm completely dumbfounded.
>>
>>9156345
>>9156278
Someone download the picture and reupload it to gelbooru or zerochan first. That way you can claim complete innocence because "oh I saw it on zerochan and thought the design was cool!"
If it's nowhere but the post, you're obviously guilty of ignoring the "please don't cosplay" line.
>>
>>9156166
They've all been doing this recently. I get it if it's personal but most of them are a joke. It's even more absurd when the "original" gijinka design consists of nothing but thigh highs and a bra. Yeah bitch, you own nothing. Try to bring any of this to court and watch the hilarity ensue.
>>
>>9156159
I think it's nice, if done properly. I'd be pretty stoked if someone used fan art I'd drawn as the basis for their cosplay. But, there is that line where it can be hard to distinguish the character if it's not done correctly. It can take a lot of effort and is definitely a lot more difficult that choosing a standard, canon depiction.

It's kind of the same way I feel about alternate outfits for certain characters. It can be fun and give you more options but you might have to deal with people not getting it or thinking you just made something up.
>>
>>9156560
kek you guys are petty
>>
File: not.jpg (57KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
not.jpg
57KB, 600x600px
>>9156850
You... DO know where you are, right?
>>
>>9156159
>>9156278
Uhhhh if you don't want anyone to cosplay it yet, just not show the illustration on the Internet until after? It'd get enough hype even if she just posted progress shots alone or cropped parts she was working on.

I like fan art cosplays when you can tell that the design has a lot of thought, and isn't just a horrendous modge podge of shit thrown together to justify that you're cosplaying that character. Otherwise, it's a great chance to be creative.

I'd usually just ask permission to the original artist unless it was my own design, and it's all about approach, really. Coming off like you're posessive of a design you made or someone else made for you like OP's pic makes you look spoiled and naive.
>>
>>9156278
I can laser cut or cast the snowflake hairpins.

Let's make a spite cosplay fellow gulls
>>
>>9156159
I'm bafiled by the back. Is her hair going through the back fan? Also if the back fan is the tails why isn't there 9 segments?
>>
>>9157033
>Coming off like you're posessive of a design you made or someone else made for you like OP's pic makes you look spoiled and naive.
>Being possessive of something you created is spoiled
>>
>>9156502
honestly i do really like sunsetdragon's designs and i think they're "showy" enough to be justified for $120 especially if you aren't good at design yourself and have a starter idea for something and need someone else to build off it for you... but i would not pay $120 if she was going to post it to her page. $120 for a design kept private, sure. i would drop the price 20-40 if she's going to post them.
>>
At least she made it clear it was a commission? It could have been kept private and she could have made the cosplay anyway then said it was her own design.

That being said I would have guessed this is Glaceon or Suicine.
>>
File: 1468195808660.jpg (87KB, 696x720px) Image search: [Google]
1468195808660.jpg
87KB, 696x720px
>>9156345
>>9156278
>>9156560
>>9157091
this is the shit i live for
>>
File: pass-the-popcorn-oguw1u.jpg (33KB, 600x460px) Image search: [Google]
pass-the-popcorn-oguw1u.jpg
33KB, 600x460px
>>9157338
Same
>>
>>9156345
>>9156560
>>9156834
>>9157033
>>9157091
Ive got a friend who is tall with tits and lanky. Hips can be padded no problem.
>>
File: sad.jpg~c200.jpg (11KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
sad.jpg~c200.jpg
11KB, 200x200px
>>9157338
I think someone will eventually ruin this whole thing by telling her
>>
>>9156547
Why? Cosplayers aren't expected to ask permission when cosplaying directly from the source and I bet you didn't ask the original creators permission to make fan art of their work.
>>
>>9156278
>>9156345
>>9157091

do it and make a fool of yourself looking like shit in this terrible design and having to tell people what you are. spend your hard earned money to land in a bad cosplay thread.
>>
>>9156166
>>9156834
Why are you guys so offended by this? She didn't even say that nobody could ever cosplay this - she asked that people wait until the person who literally commissioned the design had the chance to do so first.

Granted it's really stupid that she posted the art at all before the cosplayer had made her outfit, but hat's a pretty dick move anyway to take someone's commission art and shit it out at lightning speed so that you can get a "MEFIRST" medal. Specifically it's a dick move to the commissioner/cosplayer, less so to the artist. Do these two people have drama or something? I'm scratching my head at why everyone is so up in arms over this.
>>
>>9157668
>there is no difference between a professional artist creating something for commercial purposes and company, and a independent artist (often hobbyist) creating something for their own joy and benefit
>>
>>9157668
I think cosplaying fanart is fine, but it's generally polite to ask/mention to the creator if it's not obvious that they are fine with cosplay versions. Plus 99% of the time the artist will be excited to see your photos.

What grinds my gears is when someone rips off an original cosplay design without asking permission first, copying it from the finished cosplay photos. I'll always give permission if someone asks, but on more than one occasion I've seen photos of someone walking around in a knockoff of my outfit, and it really makes me side eye them.
>>
>>9157968
This artist has a ton of these "do not cosplay yet" designs so its not specifically these two.
>>
>>9157968
it comes off as arrogant. If you don't want anyone else to cosplay it yet, simply don't post the picture. Assuming your design is SO AMAZING that people just can't help themselves and have to cosplay it, so they have to put up a disclaimer - it's eye roll inducing.
>>
>>9157677
Please don't waste your time, money, and energy on a cosplay for the sake of a joke. That's so dumb
>>
>>9158123
>If you don't want anyone else to cosplay it yet, simply don't post the picture

It's an artist posting her work. This is similar to the logic of "if you don't want anyone to steal your art and repost/print it, don't post it." Yes, there is nothing legally stopping you from cosplaying it and yes what this artist is doing sounds pretty ass backward, but the amount of whining in this thread makes you guys sound far worse than the artist who write a short, quite frankly polite disclaimer.

>Assuming your design is SO AMAZING so they have to put up a disclaimer
People don't ask permission to cosplay fanart all the time. If she really wants to prevent cosplaying, being proactive and sticking the disclaimer there is pretty logical if you ask me.
>>
File: image.jpg (250KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
250KB, 1000x1500px
I posted this on the original artists Twitter and they loved it. It is based on his μs fantasy project fanart.
>>
>>9158277
People waste money on cosplay for worse reasons
>>
>>9158337
My thoughts exactly but that's the difficult part about wanting to share your work online
>>
>>9157111
It was made more in reference to the cosplayer's, "It's Mineeee all mineeee teeeheeeheee".

To be fair, I even have a feeling that the artist is not so much to be blamed, but that the cosplayer was the one who insisted for her to not let anyone cosplay it.
>>
>>9158401
Well, considering the cosplayer paid $120 for it, I'd say she has a good reason to be possessive over it.
>>
>>9158419
You can be possessive without coming off as a twat online. I'm sure plenty of people here are proud of their work but know how to express themselves properly without having to sound like a kid at a playground.
>>
>>9158447
What about her comment was so bad? She was obviously excited about it. No fun allowed here.
>>
>>9158450
Different anon here...I don't think she sounds like a twat but she is a complete retard for posting the picture before debuting her cosplay. Even if the people who look at her page respect her wishes, the picture will likely get spread across various websites. Someone will find it and probably cosplay it, not knowing it's "off limits". Then she'll probably throw a tantrum on Facebook like they all do
>>
>>9158337
since it was a commission, unless they worked it out before hand that the artist could post it, it technically belongs to the person who commissioned it, and the artist may not have rights to post or distribute it. The only reason she would have to put this disclaimer under her art is if the cosplayer requested it. Or she could have waited until the cosplayer posted her pictures before posting the original art.

The artist looks like a tryhard, sorry.
>>
>>9158123
If it's literally made as a cosplay design, and posted in the context of being a cosplay design, how the fuck is that an arrogant clarification?
>>
>>9158481
>>9158491
So, let me get this straight, you guys are mad because an artist and cosplayer posted a cosplay commission (that they both are completely within their rights to do) and had the audacity to put a little disclaimer up just asking that people be respectful and maybe not cosplay something made for someone else?

Whether or not you think they should've posted it, they have the right to. The artist obviously wanted to share the work (because, you know, more commissions that way) and the cosplayer was excited to share their next cosplay. I don't think either of them did anything wrong.
>>
I cosplayed a fanart version of my old favourite character last year. 6 months before making the cosplay I had a google translate-Japanese conversation with the fanartist on Pixiv about it first, so that she would be okay with that I cosplayed her design as well as competed with it. She was very surprised but happy over that someone wanted to cosplay her several year old design and made sketches for me with all details and different layers of the clothes clearly visible on their own. Sadly I couldn't find the materials I wanted and I'd never done a prop before so I could only do the design half-justice.
>>
>>9159174
>you guys are mad
I'm not sure which part of my post implied I was angry, but okay?

Obviously they have a right to post whatever they want, but that wasn't the point of my post. You're getting overly defensive for whatever reason.
>>
>>9159174
Why are you getting so ass blasted over criticism that doesn't apply to you? Are you Sunset Dragon or the other girl? Or are you really this autistic?
>>
>>9157677
We were kidding, anon. Chill out.
>>
>>9159315
>>9159322
Maybe I am
>>
>>9159522
Then grow up and learn to take criticism.
>>
>>9159557
>taking bait this hard
>>
File: 1.png (195KB, 500x538px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
195KB, 500x538px
Back on topic, are there any pieces of fan art that you guys are thinking about cosplaying? Or ones that you would love to see cosplayed?

Pic semi-related
>>
>>9158491
>unless they worked it out before hand that the artist could post it, it technically belongs to the person who commissioned it

I'm fairly certain it's the other way around actually - unless the commissioner worked out a contract purchasing the full rights to the art, the artist still owns the piece and can make prints, post it, whatever. It's like when a cosplayer hires a photographer - without a special agreement it doesn't mean they own the right to print the photo
>>
>>9156271
Some of his clients allow him to release the image as soon as the design is done before they create it. Jessica chooses to do NDAs for hers, so no one can see the design until she's done
>>
>>9159765
this person is correct, when i draw something for someone i own the art, they just paid for it and are credited as such.
>>
>>9157973
Are you Mango or Dia?
>>
>>9161499
Neither?
>>
>>9156159
Did she say anything about reposting? I just saw this posted on zerochan with no credit to her. Feel free to cosplay it I guess.
>>
>>9156159

But she said it'd be fine after she finished the costume.

It's not even "do not steal". It's "please let me do this fist kthnx". It's not snooty to want first dibs on a thing you designed.

Christ, you faggots have no sense of reading comprehension.
>>
>>9165334
clearly, neither do you, since you failed to comprehend what the entire thread has been saying
>>
>>9156159
The design isn't open for cosplay until the person who commissioned the design has cosplayed it first. That's not snooty. Someone paid for that design so they could cosplay it. She's silly for posting it up though and if i was the commissioner id request her not to post images until the cosplay was done first
>>
Personally, I don't care about fanart based cosplay. For me, one of the biggest characteristics of cosplay and what differenciates it from the regular halloween costume is accuracy.
But then, another characteristic of cosplay that I consider way more important than accuracy, is to just have fun while making and wearing your cosplay.
So, as long as you have fun enjoy the event you're attending to and not being a dick, I won't have any reason to hate you, and might even enjoy the craftsmanship of whatever you're wearing, just won't be asking for photos and stuff.
>>
Little Paper forests ones are cute but no one can make them look super good
>>
>>9168887
Very cute and simple but they don't seem to work on humans.
The hoods are fucking wrong
>>
>>9159174
It's a gjinka. The cosplay doesn't even belong to her, as she doesn't own the IP it's based on (Pokemon, Alolan Ninetails).

It's eye-rolling because she's trying to assert authority over work that is derivative itself. It's the "OC Donut Steel" of cosplay.
>>
>>9173944
Read again - she's not threatening legal authority. She's not going to sue people who cosplay the design. She's politely asking people to be respectful and wait a few months. Yeah technically you CAN go against her wishes and cosplay it right this second, but there's nothing wrong with an artist making a mild mannered request.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.