[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Resin General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 65

File: il_fullxfull.896145909_at3x.jpg (189KB, 1137x1500px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.896145909_at3x.jpg
189KB, 1137x1500px
Old one is in auto
>>
I found Sharpies to be pretty weak dye. If I was cheap alcohol ink should I get some FW?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
I'm really digging how this turned out. It's too bad the shop who made this is on hiatus now. There are very few plain bottle molds that can fit larger stickers.
>>
>>9125493
Which shop did you order it from?

I just got an email confirmation on one of my mold orders shipping. So hopefully I'll see it sometime this week. I have another one shipping from China so I don't expect that one till more of the middle of August.
>>
>>9125525

MoldsByMia. There is some water marking so I'll have to dome it later on, but a very even surface and it's a nice size. I was going to buy more but apparently she's away for medical reasons.
>>
>>9125493
are you the anon that did the perfume bottles? because you're improving so much!
>>
>>9125437
I got a few sharpies a while back to use with resin and the only one out of the lot (two blues, orange, purple, red and pink) that turned out shit was the pink. There was absolutely no hint of colour whatsoever. The purple was a bit shit too, but at least you could clearly see the resin was tinted.
What I ended up doing was running the sharpies around the mold and pouring resin in, then mixing it really well. The resin was still super thin so I didn't get any bubbles I couldn't pop.
If you don't use a fuckton of ink it's super super weak, no matter the colour, which might be why they didn't work out that well for you.
>>9125493
This is really gorgeous, are you planning to sell your stuff by any chance?
>>
File: fondant.jpg (33KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
fondant.jpg
33KB, 540x540px
>>9125493
May I ask where you got that cat sticker?

I have a question. Has anybody tried casting resin in one of the Wilton fondant and gumpaste flexible molds? I bought one with a coupon at Michaels(so I paid less then $5) and I'm trying it out. It's a matte silicone so I think it should work, though I may have to gloss the pieces afterward. The worse case, it doesn't and I lose out on $5.
>>
>>9126902
They work awesome. I used one of their floral ones and cut apart the long band of flowers to make a bunch of tiny earring flowers
>>
>>9125886

Don't think so, but thank you all the same!

>>9126893
Thank you so much! Unfortunately I'm sort of tied down by my job at the moment but I am considering selling these at some point. I'll let you guys known if I ever decide to set up shop.

>>9126902
I got them from Japan but I've seen a lot floating on aliexpress. Just search for "sticker flake" and you'll see a lot pop up.
>>
>>9125493
Sauce?
>>
File: uvresin.jpg (332KB, 1200x1360px) Image search: [Google]
uvresin.jpg
332KB, 1200x1360px
>>9127028
Thanks anon.

Do any of the major craft chain stores carry UV resin besides the Lisa pavelka stuff? I'd like to actually try to buy some in person before having to order online. I've even tried searching each Daiso Japan I've gone to and none of them have UV resin.
>>
>>9126902
Kind of off topic but it just struck me- if I filled one of those long strand molds on the left of this set with silicone caulk, could I make a flexible bracelet that way?
>>
>>9127057
If you used flexible resin, sure. Padico does one but it's UV so I don't know if it'd work too well with a mold like that.
>>
>>9126902
I got some silicone molds from Aliexpress originally made for sugar fondant, just like these. They work like a dream, the pieces pop out so easy and they look great!
>>
>>9127057
Don't do it homie, silicone sticks to silicone, you're just going to be left with a mess.
>>
File: 20160803_011031.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160803_011031.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>9127014
>>9127391
I popped out some test pieces last night. They came out fine. Just dull. Though some of them had empty spots from not releasing all the bubbles. I'll have to varnish or add a coat of resin to anything I make from it.
>>
>>9127396
Maybe it's because of the glitter, but they look kind of like rocks. I was expecting them to look smoother.
>>
>>9127396
I actually love how those look
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
galaxy perfume bottle anon back. I ended up making a whole batch of similar patterned things. I added glitter to a lot of them this time but I think this is a case of way too many ingredients. I might use less or not even any fine glitter next time in the initial layer to let the "nebula" show better. Right now it's just a haze of holographic glitter and its obscuring the details imo.

Also that horse is an odd one out. I was experimenting with holographic cellophane.

Concrit is very much appreciated.
>>
>>9127396
I think it's from the amount of glitter in them, they look really different the the final results I got out of their flower mold.
>>
File: 20160803_184910.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160803_184910.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>9127667
I think it might actually be the pigment and glitter. I accidentally put to much so it made it really solid looking. I did a thin layer of UV resin on tol, and you can see the difference. I just have to be more careful next time if I want more of a shiny gem then a polished rock look.
>>
>>9127524
These look really nice but the bottles in the bottom row are the best, hands down. They look layered and interesting, and the others just look cute and sparkly. Then again, the pic is in shit light on a dark background, maybe they look better in person.
I think using a really sparse amount of glitter and swirling it through the resin in layers would work best, since they'd look like stars and would add depth to the piece. Your nebula layers do show through, but the glitter's pretty overwhelming. Maybe try white glitter or something- the iridescence would help make it look less overpowering, though you should still probably use less of it.
I really, really like the gold bottle tops and the horse, too. Maybe add glitter to the hooves and part of the legs next time.
>>
File: 000.jpg (682KB, 1500x1137px) Image search: [Google]
000.jpg
682KB, 1500x1137px
>>9127524
Might just be the way the light hits it in the pic, but the foil-y silver glitter on most pieces looks kind of odd. The gold bits look damn gorgeous, though. The bottom perfume bottles are so damn beautiful!

Right now I'm sort of experimenting with ideas to make something to go with my Phantom Night Babydoll OP. I tested out a theory and was pleased that it worked out. All of the black diamonds in the resin were hand arranged, but placed onto tape backing with the resin poured over it. After it cured, I crossed my fingers that the diamond glitter wouldn't come off with the tape, and it didn't.

Not sure if this thing is going to be a brooch, cardigan clasp, pendant or what just yet. Beyond the diamonds, it's clear. Might paint the back, but the weird pale lavender of the 'white' on the print might be tough to nail.
>>
>>9129798
>placed onto tape backing with the resin poured over it. After it cured, I crossed my fingers that the diamond glitter wouldn't come off with the tape, and it didn't.
anon that is brilliant and the result looks great. were you meticulous-diamond-anon from before, who had to babysit the shifting mass forever?
>>
File: 0littleprince.jpg (154KB, 570x760px) Image search: [Google]
0littleprince.jpg
154KB, 570x760px
>>9129802
Yep. Didn't have to do any babysitting this time like with the petit prince one. This new method is gonna open up a whole new set of possibilities! I hope you guys find it helpful too.
>>
File: glue.jpg (36KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
glue.jpg
36KB, 700x700px
>>9129798
>>9129802
That came out really good anon.

I've suggested this to the other anon(if you're not the same anon) buy some Elmers clear glue. When you do your project. Lay a thin layer of resin first. let that dry, then you can do a thin layer of the glue or tiny dabs of it for each diamond. The stuff dries completely clear and you don't even see it in your resin. I use it as a way to hold down an object that I want to pour resin over and I don't have to worry about it shifting around and dries quickly.
>>
>>9129813
I definitely took note of that! I wasn't able to find any, though. Only pasty white and some blue coloured glue.
>>
File: resinstuff.jpg (435KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
resinstuff.jpg
435KB, 2048x1536px
>>9129816
I feel like with all the stores stocking school supplies, you'd think it'd be easier to find.

I ended up buying my bottle at Kmart.

I tried doing a couple of heart pendants. I think if I do the left one again I'm going to make a lighter or different colored background. I think the deer blends to much. Probably make the layers a bit thicker or one less glitter to make it less clusterfuck.

I fucked up my layering on the right one so the blue bled into the front. I'll have to try the idea again and if I do it right this time it should look a lot better.
>>
>>9129824
I really need to get some UV Resin one of these days. Really loving that shore one, it's so creative and cute!
>>
>>9129831
Those pendants were done with two way. I like my shore one. I think it' would have came out fantastic if I hadn't fucked it up. Which is why I want to try again.

I actually lucked out and found a Daiso that had UV resin. I wish they sold it online so I don't have to hunt on etsy or ebay for it. On the plus side, buying 25g's worth at Daiso cost me $8.10 with the tax. the cheapest I've seen a 25G bottle of Padico is $15.
>>
>>9129837
I was so stoked to see resin stocked at Daiso. I thought it would be a Japan-only item forever. Also is that doming pad one of the silicone mats from the cooking section?
>>
>>9129917
Yes it is. I don't have an actual doming pad so I'm using one of the silicon mats for now. It's not perfect but the resin comes off really easy. Also I can totally use it to cast tiny hexagons.
>>
>>9129917
What is it listed as online? Or did you mean store only?
>>
>>9129809
This is so pretty! Would you consider selling it?
>>
>>9130219
It's already up in my barren little shop. I'm making a big batch of stuff today. Strangely, I had a slew of sales this week.

http://dreamcathedral.etsy.com/
>>
>>9128693
>>9129798

Totally agreeing with you guys. I wanted a more dimensional aspect to the silver nebula running down, but it completely failed when the silver glitter started spreading everywhere. Oh well.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Going away for the weekend but I'll be back with more stuff, hopefully, next week if this thread is still around. This is by far my favorite thread. It's always so helpful and positive in here.
>>
I got myself a transparent phone case which I want to put Resin on.
Watched quite few tutorials but I'm not sure here.

I think I won't color it and simply put a lot of glitter on it and some pearls and maybe a bow charm.

How can I do it best?
Mixing the glitter into the Resin?
Putting the glitter on after spreading the resin on the case?
Or should I wait until the resin got tacky and put the glitter on?

Would it be good to dome it afterwards?
>>
>>9130668

Could you give/draw an example of what you want? It's very hard envisioning what you exactly want at the moment.
>>
>>9129824
These are really cute. The blue one works quite well, imo, since the bit that bled makes it look like waves on a beach.
The pink one seems to blend together a bit. Adding a white or gold border to the deer would make it stand out more, and wouldn't make the pinks clash.
>>
File: x354-q80.jpg (39KB, 354x354px) Image search: [Google]
x354-q80.jpg
39KB, 354x354px
>>9130740
Something like that.
I'd put some parls onto the resin though.
>>
>>9125436
I want to start making resin accessories and don't know where to start. I'm looking to make jewellery that is lolitable. What search terms/places of info are there for a beginner?
>>
>>9130160
looks like it's store only. not one of those anons, but i was browsing their website and didn't see anything.
Arda Wigs carries UV resin and that resin clay stuff now too.
>>
>>9130668
>Mixing the glitter into the Resin?
This.
>>
>>9131743
I didn't even realize Arda sells UV resin and the dyes for it.
>>
>>9131728
>>9125436
Who forgot to put the google doc in the OP?
I'd post it but I don't have it.
>>
File: o0480064113689358815.jpg (95KB, 480x641px) Image search: [Google]
o0480064113689358815.jpg
95KB, 480x641px
>Daiso and their knock off Padico molds
Man, I wish we had Daiso here.
>>
>>9132386
I haven't even seen those in store. I'm hoping that since they seem to be starting to sell UV resin in the US stores, it might mean we'll see more of the other resin products like the dyes and molds.
>>
If anyone is planning a dinner set for their hannibal doll, here's an entire walkthrough for you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzVBiKWnSvk
>>
>>9131543
Mix the glitter in, pour it on, and when it's cured glue on pearls and bows and anything else that would be obscured by the glitter or too lumpy to mix in. Doming would be a good idea.
>>
>>9129809
I'm new to resin and this is officially my ultimate inspiration. What technique did you use exactly?
And general question to the thread what are the better video tutorials you have watched? I've been going through YouTube and found some good and some not so good.
>>
File: IMG_20160808_125743.jpg (1MB, 1564x1564px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160808_125743.jpg
1MB, 1564x1564px
>>9134470
This is some of my recent work. Concrit is welcome please!
>>
>>9134474
This is all cute, but it lacks depth and definition. The winged heart is nicer and cleaner than the keys imo, it's easy to see the layers of glitter and it looks cute.
The keys look messy because the glitter's all over the place. It looks like it was brushed on as an afterthought. If you pick an area (the top bit, or the details, for example) to add glitter to, and add a lot more of it, it'll look nicer. If you want to have solid colored resin you could try doing a gradient.
The necklace looks fine, not much to say there.

Adding details like rhinestones and nail decorations to your pieces will make them a lot more interesting, especially if you embed them in a clear layer at the front of the piece (though rhinestones should really be stuck on afterwards). It makes it look cleaner too, since the layers make it look less cluttered.

Better pictures would help too. The necklace looks ten times better than the rest because of the way it's displayed and because it's not blurry as fuck.
>>
File: s-l500.jpg (36KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
s-l500.jpg
36KB, 500x500px
Found this gem while scavenging ebay for molds
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-DIY-Silicone-Mould-Cake-Cookies-Decorating-Tool-Candy-Chocolate-Baking-Mold-/311464986451?hash=item4884c28753:g:82kAAOSw14xWHxYF
>>
File: 0bb3.jpg (140KB, 570x760px) Image search: [Google]
0bb3.jpg
140KB, 570x760px
>>9134470
Honestly, a lot of youtube videos I've watched didn't help me as much as I'd like. A lot of what I learned was from people here in this thread. Experimentation is key! Amass a collection of cute stickers, glitter, findings, and things you'd like to look at, and if something matches or strikes your inspiration, let your imagination brainstorm something neat!

As for the technique, I'm using two-part resin. The gold on the top and bottom is pearl powder brushed into the frame mold before the resin was poured.
You could always paint your items gold after they cure, but as you glob it on, it'll lose a little detail.
Glitter was dispersed around the frame.
After that frame was cured, I got some ordinary tape and closed up the back with it. (Sticky side facing in)
Make sure to overlap any sides of the tape in the center and scratch it lightly where they meet, as well as firmly run your finger along the inner edge of the frame to ensure a seal with the tape.
Lay the piece on its back, and if you want to carefully align any background items, attach them to the tape.
(When picking up glitter, I use a toothpick that I breathe on so I can touch it and lift it with no issue.)
Tap them a few times with the dry end of the toothpick to ensure they're sticking well!
Pour a new bit of resin in the frame. Then add whatever else you like inside!
I recommend anything you explicitly want in the foreground to be done on a separate layer.

>>9134474
When it comes to magical girl stuff, you definitely benefit from a more transluscent look. Resin dyes are a good way to go, but personally I use chalk pastels. Just take a knife to the side and shave off a fine powder. Add as much or as little as you like. I put the shaved powder, glitter, and anything else I want either in its own mixing cup for a big batch, or on a wax paper sheet for small stuff like doing different piles for gradients so I can pour resin in/onto them as needed.
You never want to make too much of one thing.
>>
>>9135420
Do you have an Etsy or something? I love your stuff.
>>
>>9135457
See >>9130471 Though most of my good stuff is sold out right now.
>>
>>9135362
Perfect for anyone who wants to start a business selling tacky magnets at the beach.
Nice details though.
>>9135420
>Amass a collection of cute stickers, glitter, findings, and things you'd like to look at
THIS. Having a massive collection of stickers and miscellaneous crafty shit helps so so much. Looking at them and putting them together side by side can really help when you're out of ideas, and you'll come up with combinations you wouldn't have thought of otherwise.
>>
>>9135877
>Perfect for anyone who wants to start a business selling tacky magnets at the beach.

Well, that's always been the dream.
>>
I just found a bunch of beautiful glitter and mica powder from Ali express. Anybody tried to use mica powder for their resin pieces?
>>
>>9137098
Mica works fine. The problem with it is that it has a weird marbled effect from being mixed, which shouldn't be a problem when you pour it in as the front will look normal, but it does mean you'll have to dome or otherwise cover the back unless you're into that streaky look.
>>
>>9132386
All the Daiso stuff I see online is so damn overpriced, too. I wish Daiso would come to the UK but that's looking less and less likely now.
>>
My magical girl wands came in the mail yesterday. Can't wait to get home and check on my latest pour!
>>
>>9139082
I've seen people jack up the prices of Daiso's stuff on etsy and ebay. I wonder if you could find a shopping service in Japan who can find you some of their stuff at a reasonable price.
>>
>>9142630
Mine came in a couple of days ago but it's been raining too much to do anything with them.
Good luck with your wands anon.
>>
File: pinksheep.png (482KB, 553x591px) Image search: [Google]
pinksheep.png
482KB, 553x591px
here's a recent piece I did, still feel like my beading is lacking though.

Also, I noticed the google doc reference list wasn't posted so here that is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15mrdnoKqy7csGQ7XhyFy_wXVnLUzKX0sd2agIvHDXVw/edit#gid=0
>>
>>9145518
holy shit link to cute ram charms please. That is too cute good job
>>
>>9145690
aw thanks so much!! it thinks the link is spam, but I got them from 1127handcrafter on etsy under the uv resin parts/setting section, they have some more cute charms there as well!
>>
>>9145518
This is super cute! You might want to leave more space between the pearls and the charm, though.
>>
>>9145518
How do these work? Is there a clear backing? Can't figure out how to pour resin with these.
>>
>>9145899
http://youtu.be/HcRQbi70Wy4

Here's a tutorial but the tldr version is you stick the open back bezel onto packing tape.
>>
A bit of a dumb question from someone new to resin. In terms of UV resin, can you use a blacklight as a UV lamp or do you need a specific type of UV lamp?
>>
>>9146884
I've seen fishing UV resin being sold with blacklights but I'd use a nail lamp to be on the safe side (and also because some resins dry a lot slower than others and you'd be holding the light in place for a good 20 minutes).
>>
>>9146884
I use a cheap light used for gel nails, you can get them for like $15 on ebay. The only downside is that mine tends to get hot, but I don't leave it on for more than like 5 minutes at a time.
>>
>>9145907
>>9145899
You have to REALLY press the tape down. The resin leaks like crazy if you leave even the tiniest gap.
>>
>>9148782
You can use white glue to secure the borders too. I use both tape and gluing the borders just to make it super secure it won't leak.
>>
File: resinpieces.jpg (506KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
resinpieces.jpg
506KB, 2048x1536px
I thought I'd post some of my finished and WIP stuff.

JoAnn's has a halloween mold that had the beakers, skulls, and earthworm mold on it. They come out dull so I have to gloss them. But I think the mold is pretty cute. I still need to add some color to the "liquid" and bubble parts on the beakers.

The unicorn was from testing the mold and messing around with the resin.

I was also thinking of turning the "cute" pieces into hair clips.
>>
>>9151005
I actually really like the effect on the unicorn. Did you just swirl mica through the resin?
>>
>>9151209
It's actually Pearl Ex powdered pigment in Citrine. The purple is eyeshadow pigment.
>>
>>9151005
Holy shit I'm heading to Joann's tomorrow for those beaker molds. Thanks for sharing, they look great!
>>
File: wiltons.jpg (426KB, 1200x1360px) Image search: [Google]
wiltons.jpg
426KB, 1200x1360px
>>9151487
It's this mold set anon. It's $10 in the store. I have the 60% off coupon so it only cost me $4. There was another one with bones too. I really want to get another one of this mold.
>>
File: wiltonbonemold.jpg (37KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
wiltonbonemold.jpg
37KB, 500x500px
>>9151492
and here's the bone mold I saw.
>>
>>9151492
This is a really nice find. Thanks for sharing anon.
>>
Can anyone vouch for Hobby Lobby resin? I'm going to be treking over there in the near future to see if they have any UV type.
>>
>>9152332
The only UV resin I've seen them sell is the Lisa Pavelka brand stuff that I haven't tried myself. The one I go to has a better selection of resin products.They also sell a 5pack of the reusable mixing cups.
>>
File: popmold.jpg (35KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
popmold.jpg
35KB, 480x480px
>>9151492
Update. I went to Michaels and bought some of the latex rubber mold maker, they also had these ice pop molds on clearance. Also went to JoAnn's and bought the bone mold. I tried resin with them and it worked great. I bought the cat one. It made a cute little matte resin statue.
>>
>>9152381
dude those are ugly
>>
File: resincat.jpg (77KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
resincat.jpg
77KB, 960x720px
>>9152383
I think a couple like the rabbit and cat are cute. The others, not so much.
>>
>>9152352
Thank you friend
>>
>>9152387
I'm not super into the cat... It looks like something from the dollar store.
>>
>>9152556
yeah it looks like something out of a mid 2000s flash video
>>
>>9152556
Looks like a lucky cat without the paw. Cute, but tacky.
>>
>>9153289
I think so too. I'm thinking of taking some plaster of paris and making some plaster figures to have on hand at my booth. Either to sell cheap or give away as little kids craft projects. My first event is a fall festival so there's going to be a lot of families there.
>>
>>9153351
That sounds really cute!
>>
Drop more of your etsy shop names, gulls. I need a set of generic sweet style jewelry (hearts, bows, stars, macarons etc). Tired of wading through ugly shit searching for something
>>
File: MTXX_20160823062226.jpg (3MB, 1800x1350px) Image search: [Google]
MTXX_20160823062226.jpg
3MB, 1800x1350px
>>9154692
This up your alley? Working on these at the moment. Middle key on heart thing is a little brooch. Rest will probably be pendants or keychains.
>>
>>9151492
how long are the beaker, test tube, and worm? It's hard to tell from the pic
>>
>>9155044
No, I hate magical girl stuff. I never understood why so many lolitas like sailor moon, the only reason I can begin to see is muh nostalgia googles. What a poorly drawn excuse for a show.

I just want plain old cute things
>>
>>9154692
Does this help? If not let me know and I'll comb through my favorites for some more.
etsy.com/shop/Dleesnow
etsy.com/shop/MollyCreation
etsy.com/shop/SweetDollyHouse
etsy.com/shop/LunaFloraDesigns
etsy.com/shop/embroidelove
etsy.com/shop/lepetitebonbon
>>
File: 20160823_183533.jpg (386KB, 1002x745px) Image search: [Google]
20160823_183533.jpg
386KB, 1002x745px
Been messing around a little. Not sure what to even do with these. I guess the lego bricks could be double rings?
>>
I want to take some large pearl beads and give them a clear pink "candy coating." Would this approach work?

>Put beads on straw
>5 minute epoxy
>Mix and add color at same time
>Pour epoxy over beads and continuously rotate straw to avoid big drips until it sets

I've tried something similar with Easy Cast and it was too runny.
>>
>>9156103
The beaker is about 2" tall, the test tube is about 2 1/8th" the worm is a little over 2 1/2"
>>
>>9155044
Different anon, but I like those. What's your shop?
>>
>>9156231

fyi lepetitebonbon just glues rement shit to rings
>>
>>9156277
They could be made into charms, maybe.
>>
>>9156277
I think a lego bracelet could be kinda cute.
The non-glitter ovals look like hard candy.
>>
>>9156206
>asks for hearts, bows, stars
>literally all magical girl motifs.
Hate is a strong word anon.
>>
I create holes for my pieces and when I hand drill them, sometimes the resin breaks a little on the opposite side near the hole. For reference, I'm using UV resin. Any tips on how to prevent this?
>>
>>9156206

I don't like magical girl stuff either but that was kind of rude.
>>
>>9159789
I noticed that happens a bit with my stuff to(I use regular 2 part resin) could be how much pressure or speed you're going.
>>
>>9159789
Go slower and use less pressure. I had that happen to my pieces when I was rushing to get them done for a con because I was using way too much pressure.
>>
File: ss+(2016-08-27+at+07.39.41).jpg (34KB, 593x595px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-08-27+at+07.39.41).jpg
34KB, 593x595px
>>9154692

Just reopened my shop on etsy. https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/JellyUltra

I'm based in Canada though and its up in the air whether our post system will be going on strike or not, so shipping could be delayed. I'd like to think my items are pretty generic right now, that they could fit a multitude of sweet dresses.

I also just recently finished some of my own designs and made them into molds, so there is more to look forward too. Picture related, only about 1/4 of the designs are pictured here. Not much magical girl stuff beyond the crystal heart stick (even though I love magical girl stuff). I made quite a few menhera designs though if that interests anyone. I update on my instagram most if anyone wants to know what I'm up to and making.

>sorry to shill my crap so much in one post
>>
File: IMG_2828.jpg (158KB, 600x441px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2828.jpg
158KB, 600x441px
>>9154692
I do not have an etsy shop but a storenvy. But if you want to buy something i guess we could find a way :) http://www.storenvy.com/stores/904022-glitter-cute
its still very small though
>>
>>9161558
holy shit anon, your jewelry is amazing and very creative. it's sweet but it really pops out from all the sweet resin stuff. also, much inspiration
>>
>>9161558
Those molds look really good, what did you use to make the originals?
>>9162244
That's really cute.
>>
>>9162256
Aw thanks so much anon! I never think my resin is that great but I've had tons of positive feedback online and irl about it (i go to several cons). So I've decided to make it my main focus for cons and online selling.

>>9163298
Thanks anon ! I sculpted and sanded them myself with sculpey clay.
>>
Also does anyone know that cgl etsy group? I want to join it now that I'm on etsy but I've forgotten the name. I'm Jelly Ultra btw.
>>
>>9163331
Wow, that's amazing! How did you get the lines to come out so straight?
>>
>>9163332
GALA, I think.
https://www.etsy.com/teams/29727/gala-gothic-and-lolita-anonymous
Correct me if I'm wrong, I usually just lurk these threads.
>>
Do you think that importing a bunch of mica powder from china would be taken badly by customs? I found this listing on Taobao and I'm really tempted but I'm scared customs would think I'm importing that to make cosmetics or soaps.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5-c.w4002-4556802698.23.HNIIUY&id=39578062152
>>
>>9164583
Should be okay. If you order some craft stuff to go along with it it should be pretty obvious that you're not going to use them for cosmetics.
>>
I have a question. What method do you guys have for sealing paper/stickers before putting them in resin? I use mod podge but sometimes I still end up getting leaks through even though I do multiple layers of mod podge. Should I go ahead and try the tape method?
>>
File: image.jpg (952KB, 2560x2560px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
952KB, 2560x2560px
question for uv resin users: how do you all go about coloring your resin? I've been using pearl ex for these ram charms but I'm trying to find a more basic/not pearlescent colorant. I've been thinking of trying uv resin dyes but I wanna try out some other stuff too. Has anyone tried basic alchohol ink with uv resin?
>>
>>9130471
Seeing Boy with Apple made my day. You're a real treat
>>
>>9167126
I was toying with the idea of a meet for my comm where I'd make a handful of those for everyone who came and we'd have courtesan au chocolats and watched the movie together. I'm not really a prominent member of my comm though, so I don't think many people would come if I hosted the event.
>>
>>9163506
I'd like to know this too! I've always wanted to make my own molds.
>>
>>9167107
Not related to your question, but, I'm in love with that pink ram, do you have a shop?

Tried a reverse search and got nothing.
>>
Don't know if anyone's interested, but KawaiiMoldSupply on Etsy has a ton of molds up for super cheap right now! I don't know what their prices normally are, and I'm really new to resin so I haven't compared a whole bunch of shops, but it seems a lot cheaper than most! I'm picking up a whole bunch of basics to experiment with, I'm super excited.
>>
>>9167343
I've ordered from them before. Their stuff is pretty reasonably priced. I ordered the coffin mold and I've been meaning to order from them again.
>>
>>9167343
>KawaiiMoldSupply
I like the designs itself but I can't be the only one that thinks they are super big. I wish they would be smaller so it would look nicer as a necklace or something.
>>
>>9166876
The tape method is surprisingly tricky. If you don't do it exactly right you end up with a bubbly streaky item can't be trimmed down without exposing the paper to resin.
The way I usually do it is to stick the sticker onto a piece of clear plastic and build up layers of mod podge. That way it's sturdy and easy to use.
>>
>>9166876

I print my images onto waterproof paper first. I saw a tutorial where one of those snooty youtubers was banging on about it but found that she had to mod-podge that paper anyway to fill in the tiny pockets (its textured) so that she didnt get a buttload of microbubbles - so the video was completely moot.
However, because of the waterproof qualities if you tape it you're not going to get the watermarks you'd have from regular paper and here's where the bonus comes in. You can afford to cut the tape closer to the paper and have less of an overhang from the tape. It's also thicker than standard printing paper as well so its easier to handle when cutting and placing within the resin.
With the tape you need to be careful you dont buy the crappy stuff which has a bunch of glue spots so see if you can see the roll that the tape is on. There is a brand which is 'super clear' and quite wide and thick, it doesnt fold over on itself as easily as previous tape I've used has.
>>
>>9167525
Think a really heavy duty packaging tape might help? The kind that's really thick?
>>
>>9167289
Unfortunately I haven't opened my shop yet! I'm hoping to open it soon, I'd like to have a few more pieces to list. I'll definitely post here when I open it though, these threads have been so helpful to me!
>>
>>9167873
See the tail end of this post! >>9164743 Get some free listings for your shop when you do open it.
>>
>>9167782
It might, since it's harder to wrinkle.
>>
>>9156277
woah, I love that blue glitter!
>>
File: brooch.png (859KB, 647x800px) Image search: [Google]
brooch.png
859KB, 647x800px
So, where do you keep your resin pieces when finished? I have a bunch or resin pieces I made and some of them are yellow. I will probably have to throw them. Another thing that is worth to mention is that Wilton's candy colorants are good for resin, but after a while, the color will become dull. Picture is one of my older pieces. The frame was pink and bright yellow but now is really dull.
>>
>>9156206
That was rude as shit, also better be more specific the next time
>>
>>9169556
I think if the color dulls that means it's not good for resin. Food coloring fades, just don't use it.
>>
>>9169556
I keep mine in a wooden box and they're fine so far. If you're finding that your older pieces are faded or tacky, it's most likely because the resin wasn't mixed properly or unsuitable dyes were used than because of the container.

That piece looks cute, but you really shouldn't use food dyes, since they're not made to last that long. Pastels or eyeshadow would have been better choices if you couldn't get your hands on resin dye.
>>
>>9135420
I love your resin work. Some of the best I've seen. Do you take commissions right now?
>>
>>9173449
I hardly do anything out of the ordinary, mostly slapping a couple components together! I'm envious of other people's work whereas my stock is mostly simple portrait brooches. But I know they're something people like as much as I do, so I always want to be a source of them on the cheap. Always open to custom requests.
>>
>>9167987
Is there a limit on how many times a code can be used? I've been meaning to open an etsy but I don't know if it's fine to use the same codes that others have used.
>>
>>9175979
No limit afaik. Does it give you an error when you click it?
>>
Just to double check real quick: Poly resin requires very good ventilation compared to epoxy, right?
>>
>>9177233
Polyester resin is death in a can.
You think you have good ventilation, NOPE not good enough now your house reeks of it for a good few days.
I honest to god would only ever do poly resin again if I had a shed or seperate building available to me.
>>
>>9177263
I do have a shed available! Or I can just do them outside.

The poly resin is just so much cheaper and sets so much faster than epoxy..
>>
>>9177305
Just have a good respirator mask, ok anon? It is the most horrible smell I've ever smelt and it hit me straight through mine.
>>
>>9177263

I use it and was set up on a metal bench thing by the door of my garage, now I can store all of my stuff in there and work in a place where it wont get knocked or dusty because I've sorted it out and work there quite comforably.

Honestly, the smell is something you get used to. When I first caught a whiff of the stuff I almost gagged, now I work with it daily without caring, my other half has commented that after a few years, he actually likes the smell now.

I will warn you however that some things that work with epoxy doesnt work with polyester resin.
Mod podge to seal stickers? Forget it. It turns yellow and the resin over the front of the sticker gets messed up. I've not tried candy sprinkles in them yet so I dont know how they behave.
I tried putting caviar beads in and they were stripped of the colour and changed to a weird brown colour (they were originally pink). So definitely test on things you dont care about so much first before dipping them in. If in doubt with stickers, seal with tape.

On the up side, you don't have to worry about microbubbles or bubbles in general like our epoxy counterparts as long as you insert everything carefully after rolling it in a bit of resin first to get it started. Because of the reaction going on within it in such a quick time, it pretty much rids itself of bubbles on its own. I've only ever had one piece royally crap up on me and that was my own fault because I poured out more than I could tend to on a hot day, so I recommend keeping your batches small and keep an eye on the progress of it going thicker and gelling. If it reaches that point don't risk it.

Another down point is that it takes forever to set in the winter because prime time is in the summer. You'll be leaving it for days before even daring to take it out. Sometimes I cave if its for cosplay and bring it indoors in a container and set it near a radiator - but that depends where you are in the world. The UK is horrible for it unfortunately.
>>
>>9178352
>The UK is horrible for it unfortunately.

I feel this so much. I'm in the UK and by the sea, often houses here have bad damp problems (although luckily the one im in at the moment isnt so bad), and it always seems to be either humid or cold.

>also cant make macaroons
>>
>>9177263
A friend of mine used it for a while and found it horrible. She used it once when I was near and the smell is so horrible you get an instant headache. It always ended up drying sticky (though that could be her not mixing it right or the resin being bad) and like other anon said, it stripped some metal parts of all their color and turned it brown. It also yellowed incredibly fast.
I wouldn't do it, anon. Epoxy really isn't that expensive. Most of the money goes into molds, dyes, stickers etc anyway.
>>
>>9178363
>>9178352
Thank you for this, anons!

I only want it to make solid-coloured statues/toys that will be painted later, so hopefully a lot of these won't be a big deal. I'm still using epoxy for clear things.
>>
>>9178363

Yellowing is probably coming from too much activator, I've got pieces I've made from years ago which are still clear, that being said, a lot of epoxy resins yellow eventually too and its something that cant be avoided.
>>
File: IMG_20160910_163056225.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160910_163056225.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
I just swapped my craft area out for my fall stuff, and I was wondering, what does everyone's craft area look like? Mine is a bit messy but it gets the job done.
>>
>>9180370

I'll have to take a picture next time i'm in a crafting session. I'm really limited for space right now (live in a basement suite) so I continuously have to put away and bring out my stuff. I do my work between my computer desk and my kitchen table whoop whoop.
>>
>>9180370

OT but I have that box with the birds and roses that I keep craft stuff in.
Also those planets are really nice.
>>
File: etsy shop preview.jpg (78KB, 699x588px) Image search: [Google]
etsy shop preview.jpg
78KB, 699x588px
I just opened my shop! I'm Yumerozu on etsy. I was so nervous about opening it, haha.

>>9180370
My area is so messy, it's serving double duty as a crafting table/sewing area until I finish up with this freelance gig. I can't wait to clean it up and start working on more pieces, right now I feel kind of stalled.
>>
>>9156231
Lunaflora has beautiful things, but I was hoping to find very plain chunky, generic looking resin glitter jewelry to go with all my oldschool sweet stuff. Your taste is excellent but very modern.
>>9183471
Your stuff is the cutest, I'm gonna keep an eye out for something to match my newer prints
>>
File: B0081279A_310_310[1].jpg (9KB, 310x310px) Image search: [Google]
B0081279A_310_310[1].jpg
9KB, 310x310px
PSA: 8seasons, aside from cheap findings, is now selling resin molds as well. 5 pcs for $2.99 + shipping, but they have a bunch of shipping options and do free shipping once in a while.

I've gotten a bunch of pendants from them before (the kind that pair with cabochons, I just filled mine with resin). I was happy with them, just wish I wasn't so broke right now. Thought I'd let you anons know.
>>
File: 20160902_030811.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160902_030811.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>9180370
I have a pic from the last time I cleaned up. I wish I could utilize the desk better but it's not mine.

>>9183987
I need to order some new molds. I'm taking a break from resin atm to work on sewing. I've got a fair on the 1st so I'm trying to make as much as I can.
>>
File: 16-09-13-15-30-25-037_photo.jpg (2MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
16-09-13-15-30-25-037_photo.jpg
2MB, 4128x3096px
>>9183471
Congrats on your shop! I favourited as soon as I heard.
And wow. Just picked up my missed package from the post office on the way to work. One of these is a -lot- bigger than I expected it to be, kek. Totally in love with all of them, though. Just gonna spend my entire shift daydreaming about craft ideas.
>>
>>9183471
Those pieces are adorable! Congrats on your Etsy.
>>
File: IMG_3743.jpg (812KB, 2560x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3743.jpg
812KB, 2560x2560px
>>9183727
>>9184666
Thank you anons! This all means a lot to me, I'm so glad these resin threads inspired me to start it!

>>9184369
Oh my gosh thank you!! I love your stuff so much, I can't wait to see what you do with those molds.

To keep things related, here's a little piece I did with some leftover resin. Not quite sure what to do with it yet though.
>>
Any tips for resin pieces that are still soft and floppy a full 24 hours after pouring? I've had two batches come out bad after no problems, and the last batch I added more hardener to try to compensate. The weather hasn't been particularly wet or humid lately.
>>
Today I found some little apples. Time to make myself some Suppurate System-esque things.
>>
File: ss+(2016-09-17+at+06.50.22).jpg (39KB, 595x591px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-09-17+at+06.50.22).jpg
39KB, 595x591px
Still testing out my new molds.

I got a new phone so my photo editing has been kind of screwy. On my phone screen its much more saturated and bright, and then on my computer it isnt so ehhhh. I have to adjust still.

I want to play around with this one more and do more color combos. I really want to try a red/clear combo but I cant do any resin until after Monday afternoon
>>
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHAMELEON-FLIP-PAINT-POWDER-PIGMENT-ULTRA-VIOLET-JADE-GREEN-NEON-BLUE-/251846240587

anyone had some experience with this?
>>
File: RO-logo-3-6-15-e1432320806709.jpg (19KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
RO-logo-3-6-15-e1432320806709.jpg
19KB, 400x200px
Resin noob here. Planning on making some simple dark green cabochons for a cosplay.

Is pic related reliable? They seem to have everything I need and the prices seem reasonable to me.
>>
>>9189654
Most of the resins you can get at Michaels for cheaper with a 40% coupon. For dyes, get alcohol inks in the scrapbooking section.
>>
>>9189763
Thanks for the tips, friend. :)
>>
>>9190977
Michaels and JoAnns have been releasing some 50 and even 60% off coupons lately. You can use their coupons at their competitors stores. Hobby Lobby sells resin too and consistently has a 40% off coupon but at least mine doesn't take cpetitor coupons.
>>
>>9191071
Slightly off topic but I'm visiting the states next year and want to do some shopping for craft supplies while I'm there, where/how do you get these coupons? Any other tips?
>>
File: coupons.jpg (443KB, 963x945px) Image search: [Google]
coupons.jpg
443KB, 963x945px
>>9191408
You can sign up for text alerts, and they also have them directly on their websites.

Also it varies by store, but michaels has been getting stricter with only one coupon per transaction(at least at my local michaels. I don't know if it's corporate wide or not), while Jo-Ann's still allows multiple coupons per transaction. Also you won't be able to use certain coupons at their competitors stores if they don't sell the same product. Like you can use the 40% off coupons on resin since they both sell it.
>>
>>9188365
Give it more time. If it's still not cured in a few days coating with UV resin or doming with more resin can save it.
Maybe you didn't mix it properly, or the resin is a bit old.
>>
>>9188365
Give it another dat or two. If it doesn't work. Try doming it with another layer or two of resin. I also found doming the back with amazing casting resin(the one that hardens in 10 minutes and turns white as it hardens) helps. You can also pop amazing casting resin in the oven to help harden it. Amazing clear cast and uv resin isn't effected by the oven's heat so you can put them in with the amazing casting resin safely.
>>
>>9189611
It's Monday evening! Got anything started yet?
>>
File: 16-09-20-01-02-53-967_deco.jpg (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
16-09-20-01-02-53-967_deco.jpg
3MB, 2560x1440px
Just rearranging odds and ends until I find a design I like with my new molds. Nothing really fastened together yet, but I'm liking the look of the winged one. The frame in the upper right is kind of inspired by the Holy Lantern blouse and collars. I can't quite decide what to put at the center of it.
>>
>>9191853
It's been a couple days but it's still soft, I think I must have either mixed it improperly or gotten the ratios wrong (though I usually put a touch more hardener in and it's never turned out bad before). The resin is relatively new, I got it within the past few weeks. The other pieces I've made with these bottles have turned out ok, but if the next batch I do doesn't come out I'll throw the bottles out.
>>
>>9191863
I might try this, thanks!
>>
>>9192674
these are beautiful anon, nice work!
>>
File: ss+(2016-09-21+at+06.13.56).jpg (97KB, 596x595px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-09-21+at+06.13.56).jpg
97KB, 596x595px
>>9192674
I really love the angel face ones oh my gosh. Like the one with the wings next to it and then the bottom right corner one. Absolutely fabulous.

Anyone else feeling halloween?
>>
>>9194270
I'm trying to make hand-painted skeleton cats and bunnies, but my resin is being a huge pain in the ass.
It's just too humid and gross here right now!
>>
File: ss+(2016-09-15+at+04.26.06).jpg (91KB, 596x590px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-09-15+at+04.26.06).jpg
91KB, 596x590px
>>9194274

Thats annoying. I wish you luck anon. Where are you from where its hot and humid still in September? Texas or something?
Its beginning to become cold in my part of the world and I'm not looking forward to it affecting my resin. One day I want to get an oil heater for the room that I work in to keep it warmer.
>>
>>9192674
Do you have a shop anon?
>>
>>9194270
Thanks! And yeah, I've got the spoop ready to burst out of me. I need to find some good pumpkin molds.

>>9194274
Have you tried sculpting clay? It might be a good alternative, especially if you'll be painting over an item.

>>9194300
DreamCathedral, but as usual, I'm slacking on updates. Gonna spend all afternoon crafting, though. Angels and apples ahoy!
>>
>>9194370
Oh! I mean the paint is between a clear layer and shimmery black layer.

It has occurred to me that I kind of dun goof'd and should just dome them once painted instead of trying to do it all in the mold, haha!
>>
>>9194375
That idea reminds me of pic related but I think they did it on shrink paper? its cool and I cant wait to see how yours turn out. I think a black background will look nicer than the see through
>>
File: resin comparables.png (10KB, 714x275px) Image search: [Google]
resin comparables.png
10KB, 714x275px
Ive been using epoxy for awhile now but Ive grown interested in UV resin. I just wanted to compare the prices and amount you get, heres what I found out in pic related for anyone interested. Prices are in CAD.

I used the 16 oz envirotex bottle in my example because thats what I like to use. I dont like to get the 32 oz bottle as I rather refresh my resin quicker instead of having the big bottles around and go gross. I used the price off of amazon but iirc I think I get it cheaper at Michaels with the 40% off coupon.
After this I looked around for cheaper UV resin and the cheapest option I could find was $30 for 55 g, which would equal $2.30 per piece.
>>
File: 20160921_100413.png (2MB, 1440x1178px) Image search: [Google]
20160921_100413.png
2MB, 1440x1178px
>>9194270
Oh yeah. Halloween is my JAM! I'm prepping for a fair on the 1st so I'm making a bunch of Halloween themed things.

>>9194432
UV resin is definitly more expensive then standard epoxy resin. It's popular because it's extremely easy to use. It hardens much quicker then regular clear epoxy resin, there's no mixing, and you can let it set wet until you're ready to harden it in either strong sunlight or a UV lamp.
>>
>>9194439

yeah I totally understand the appeal of UV, thats why I'm interested. Well at least for some more complex pieces.
If I do end up using it I think I'm going to use in in conjunction with epoxy. Has anyone used them both together? Like epoxy was cured and then using the UV to glue pieces together?
>>
File: ss+(2016-09-21+at+10.28.35).jpg (112KB, 475x593px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-09-21+at+10.28.35).jpg
112KB, 475x593px
>>
File: woodhearts.png (364KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
woodhearts.png
364KB, 576x432px
>>9192674
Oh man, I am diggin' all of these.

I've got an event coming up in a week and want to finish up some resin pieces, but it rained yesterday so now it's really humid and I can't even test the UV resin I got at Daiso because it's also overcast today...
>>
>>9194593
I have that same issue today. The weather has been fickle today so I can't use my UV resin. I have a bunch of hearts I need to dome with resin and would rather use the UV then have to break out a batch of clear cast.
>>
>>9191863
>You can also pop amazing casting resin in the oven

Is that safe? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm a noob and all I hear about is how resin fumes are basically Hitler.
>>
Has anyone ever used the NYX Loose Pearl Pigments in their resin? i'm specifically looking to make a gold opaque piece
>>
>>9194632
Yep. They even put it on their site that you can.

http://www.moldputty.com/store/pg/100-FAQs.aspx

>Q: Why is my cast piece soft?

>Typically, the reason your Amazing Casting Resin piece is soft is that the part you poured is small or thin and the resin was poured into a mold that was room temperature or even worse ... cold. The Amazing Casting Resin is exothermic, which means it generates heat as it cures. The resin needs this heat to cure properly. If the part is small and or thin and poured into a cold mold, it does not have the ability to generate the heat required to cure fully. So the material will gel and start to cure but not finish because it is lacking the heat necessary to finish curing properly. With your piece in the Amazing Mold Putty mold, simply place it in an oven at 150F or less for an hour or place it under a heat lamp for a couple hours to supply the cast piece some heat in order for it to cure.
>>
>>9194636

Yup ! Works well. I only have one color I picked up from a lolita swap meet for like $1. Its a blue but I like it. If I needed another color I would definitely consider buying another from them
>>
>>9194636
I use a different brand of pearl pigment powder, but a little goes a long way! Most of them you can simply brush into the mold if you want an opaque piece. It'll stick to the silicone and then bond to the resin. You'd spend far too much trying to mix it in, it's a real waste.
>>
>>9194593
I dig your stuff right back. It actually inspired me to finally go buy some paint markers. Got black and white today.
>>
>>9194370
I really want to buy the angel-y ones!!
>>
>>9129798
That is a really neat trick. Thanks for sharing!
>>
>>9129813
This is also a handy trick. Kudos!
>>
File: FB_IMG_1474529924920.jpg (161KB, 1564x1564px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1474529924920.jpg
161KB, 1564x1564px
>>9194636
Not NYX but BYS (Maybe just the Australian equivalent?) has wonderful shimmer powders! They're $5 for the same amount as $15 of PearlEX and I think they mix way better.

>>9194379
Oh man, these are cool! Mine aren't nearly as refined. I'm going to try paint pens/markers instead of the fine brush.

>tfw I wanted to reopen my store yesterday but this week has just been problem after problem.
Here's a prototype bowtie bat. The finished ones should be 100x better when my premade bows arrive, instead of my hamfisted hotglue one. Haha.
>>
>>9195131
So cute!
>>
>>9194446
Yeah that works fine, I'm currently doing it. Only thing you gotta watch out for is that when you use UV resin to glue things together, the light still has to be able to get to the resin. So gluing two opaque pieces together is a no go.
>>
>>9189611
where did you get these molds ??
>>
>>9195821
She made them. >>9161558
>>
File: -468-2867563543.jpg (114KB, 396x704px) Image search: [Google]
-468-2867563543.jpg
114KB, 396x704px
Are lamp-work pieces thread relevant enough?

I'm stuck on composition, I'm not sure what I want to do with these or what I should do to improve the design.
I know they might look a little cheap, but are they cute at least?
>>
File: crimp end.jpg (55KB, 570x457px) Image search: [Google]
crimp end.jpg
55KB, 570x457px
>>9196171
The bows look funky Either go premade or make them a bit smaller(especially the white one), and instead of tying off the ends of the ribbons, try using crimp ends(search ribbon crimp end, you'll find a ton, also joanns and michaels sell them). They'll make things much cleaner. Also I'd personally make the candy corn pendant style, or at least put some kind of decorative bead on each end. Right now the chokers look like a kids craft project.
>>
>>9196211
Thank you for the tips on the bows, not sure if I'll go premade but I'll consider it. The candy corn peices are bracelets, but next hobby lobby trip I'll pick up a crimp set and higher quality ribbon.
All the findings I've seen haven't inspired me and I've come to realize that I'm not satisfied with the 'eh this'll work' options I went with. Has anyone had luck with box stores for their findings?
>>
>>9194639
Soft resin anon, reporting back in. I put my soft pieces in the toaster oven at 100 degrees for around 45 minutes, they might be a bit stiffer but no huge change. Also I forgot to think of the glitter in the pieces, the color was gently toasted from blue to a not unpleasant orange

tl;dr baked resin, now they're autumn themed but still soft
>>
>>9196659
Sorry about your pieces, anon. At least they're seasonal now.
>>
A question for those of you who work with those metal bezels and fill them with resin, what do you do if both sides of the bezels aren't flat? I have some bezels I want to fill but both sides have a uniformly ridged edge, and I can't get a good seal with washi tape or packing tape, it just leaks out from a tiny hole even though I do my best to seal it all up.
>>
>>9197879
That sounds pretty tricky to work with. You could try to attach the tape to the bezel and then fill any gaps with modge podge, but idk how that would look once you pulled the tape off.
>>
>>9197879
If you could post a picture of it, I could probably give some better advice.
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 750x1334px
>>9199646
I'm not at home but I grabbed a stock photo from Etsy that shows what I mean. Both sides of my bezel have this ridged edge, so I can't get a good seal with packing or washi tape.
>>
>>9199993
Cover it really good with tape then stick it in some putty or clay to really make it seal? Just an idea
>>
File: 1473080528415.jpg (69KB, 340x372px) Image search: [Google]
1473080528415.jpg
69KB, 340x372px
>tfw you have a meltdown and throw out hundreds of dollars worth of messed up pieces.

Everything I make is fucking garbage. I think I learned something tonight, though; The feeling of pressure and inevitable failure comes from trying so hard to produce something 'popular' and 'sellable' because I need to get a real damn job and come back to resin when I can actually afford to make mistakes and practice.

I'm gonna focus on just making things that I want to own for a while, and if other people want to buy them - Great! If not, oh well.
Right now the only thing I have left is those bats and little bat wing collar-clips.

>I also accidentally bought the wrong resin the other week, so I paid $150 for stuff that needs to be oven-baked in order to cue instead of $60 for much better stuff.
>>
>>9199993

Mind me being a pest and asking for the source of these? I had a quick check for them but had no luck.
>>
>>9199993
Coating the ridges with modpodge and laying it on some wax paper for a tailored seal would be your best option. It'll be matte on the back afterward, so you'll have to dome it, but worth it. Do make sure it's had at least an hour to fully dry the glue before pouring in the resin, though.
>>
>>9200014
Hey, don't throw stuff out! You never know when it can be repurposed. I had some shitty frames that had bubbles or a paintjob that I didn't like, but I held onto them. Now they made a perfect base for mounting some other stuff.
>>
>>9200016
Search for "open bezel charm" on Etsy
>>
>>9200034
Oh, it was my fault.. I was just using the first run of the mold I made and intended to sand the edges smooth on the finished pieces. I should have made a second pre-smoothed mold instead.

I guess I'll try to make a new one tomorrow.. But they were specifically for Halloween items and it's a bit late now, pfft.
>>
>>9200053

Thanks! This search result actually gave me a few other things I'd been eyeballing and thought I would have to get through taobao, funny how changing one word or two can give you different things.
Thanks again!
>>
File: IMG_20160927_213350.jpg (1MB, 1564x1564px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160927_213350.jpg
1MB, 1564x1564px
>>9195131
These bows are 100x times nicer.

What should I put in the frames - painted skeleton buns and kitters?
>>
>>9199993
If you have some mold putty it might be worth using it to seal the edges and make a flat back. You'll have to dome them though.
>>9201095
That'd be cute! You could make them glow in the dark too.
>>
>>9201205
Oh yeah! I'll give it a try!

You also just reminded me; My local resin/craft store has started selling glow-in-the-dark and 'real metal' pigment powers. They're pretty cool, but expensive.

The metallic powders really looked like liquid gold/silver/chrome in the jars.
>>
>>9201095
Where'd you get the bat mold?
>>
>>9201823
I made it.
>>
How do you guys make custom molds? I've got a few ideas I'd like to try and I love seeing all the custom stuff you guys do!
>>
>>9201949
Mold making products. There's mold putty, mold rubber, etc... those create a more flexible mold.

There's also tutorials to make a vacuum to create a plastic style resin mold.

NerdEcradter has one.

https://youtu.be/hkrHDWzYRN0
>>
>>9201949
>>9201954
This! Making the mold itself is the easy part because there are so many quick-set silicone products available. It's making the piece to cast that's a huge pain.. What you put into that mold is exactly what you'll get out of it.
>>
>>9201954
>>9201969
Cool, I'll definitely look into those! Would polymer clay work to make the piece to mold?
>>
File: kitters.png (898KB, 801x615px) Image search: [Google]
kitters.png
898KB, 801x615px
>>9201995
Yup! I think the easiest way is polymer clay, sand it smooth and then give it a good coat of glossy spray sealant. Gotta be really careful not to get dust or anything stuck to it.

>>9201208
Scrapped the skeleton cat idea because they were TOO spooky and the smaller they got, the creepier and less cute they became. Vector kitties instead.
>>
File: charms.jpg (151KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
charms.jpg
151KB, 1200x900px
I found the cutest stickers ever and made some charms with them. About half of them are made from daiso molds,which are really nice but they come out super matte and needed to be domed.
>>
>>9202465

I... I need those stickers.
Where get?!
>>
>>9202416
This is sort of out of the blue but would you consider doing commissions for custom versions of these? Like for someone's real cat? I just lost a cat and as soon as I saw your necklaces I thought I would love to have one with a cute picture of her.
>>
>>9202465
Holy shit, these are adorable. I wish I had a Daiso near me.
>>
I'm new to resin and I just wanted to dome some stickers. After watching a bunch of videos I am confused on the difference between casting resin and jewelry resin.

Does it matter what kind of resin I use if I just want to dome and not use molds? I was looking at Envirotex Jeweler's Grade Clear Epoxy Resin
>>
>>9203116
As long as it's clear, it's suitable for doming.
>>
File: 1454891449962.jpg (130KB, 735x1102px) Image search: [Google]
1454891449962.jpg
130KB, 735x1102px
>>9203116
This chart helped me out when I was shopping for resin the first few times.
>>
>>9202490
Sure thing, anon! Shoot me an email and I'll see what I can do!

I finally got my store back up.
>Protip: Never go with Squarespace.
>>
>>9203151
No, some clear resins are too thin to provide the right surface tension. Resin Obsession for example will just spill right over the edge of your piece (and they tell you not to use it for doming on their site). See >>9203249
>>
Here's something interesting for those who have a lot of time and money to experiment. This site has many color changing and glow in the dark powders. I'm honestly curious about that "liquid crystal" ink (this is the stuff they put in mood rings).

http://solarcolordust.com/

I hope this can be of use to anyone.
>>
>>9203116
If you're not sure which resin to use or just want to try doming a few pieces UV resin is great. If you want to make lots of pieces it's way too expensive though.
>>
Is there any difference between resin dye and alcohol ink? My Google-fu is failing me.
>>
>>9202416
Anon, people were shitting on you because of supposed art theft, right?
Are you okay?
I just wanted to let you know I still love your pieces, please don't leave cgl
>>
File: 1463888262505.jpg (506KB, 1000x695px) Image search: [Google]
1463888262505.jpg
506KB, 1000x695px
>>9207625
Oh, I'm fine!
If anything it's convinced me to stop caring about saleability of items and just make stuff for myself.

The only thing is that I can't just move everything over to the HBJ site/accounts and start over, because
A. Someone will definitely take it as an "I won!"
B. My professional/personal art is linked to my legal name and god knows they'd have a field day with that.

Basically marketing towards lolitas was a bad idea, hueh.

Thank you for being so concerned though, anon!
>>
>>9207636
I'm glad that you're okay, I've been through something similar once so I got worried about how you were dealing with it.

Your pieces always look fantastic, I'm sorry people cause such shit storms. I hope to see more of your work, even if it's just for yourself.
>>
Question simple yet important: does UV resin give bubbles while being cured under UV lamp?
>>
>>9207916
The light shouldn't cause new bubble to form.
>>
>>9207922
I'm asking because I've already used UV resin (padico) but cured it under the sunlight, and even if there were no bubbles at first, they always showed up in the middle of the process when nothing could be done.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
Hey gulls. I'm relatively new to resin and I'm having a really big, frustrating issue. All the test pieces I've made so far have seemed fully cured on the back, but when I take them out of the molds, the front is super sticky. I thought maybe they just needed to cure more, but I've left them alone for a few day and they're still sticky. The molds I'm using are made out of amazing mold rubber and I'm using amazing clear cast. I know I've fully mixed everything, and mixed the proper amounts, so it's not that. My current theory is that maybe my resin is a bit old? I did buy it sometime last year. Sorry if this is a stupid question!
>>
>>9208021
Also sorry for the giant image! Currently on mobile.
>>
>>9208021
What's the temperature in the room where they're curing? Cold can mess with the process.
>>
>>9208029
About 75F I'd guess. I'm not 100% sure.
>>
>>9208021
It might be the age. What color is the different parts? Also it may have already been older when you bought it.
>>
>>9208043
One part is clear and the other is a darker yellow. Not quite amber, but definitely not a yellow as when I bought it.
>>
>>9208045
Sounds like it's gotten really old. Both parts are clear when they're new. It's suppose to have a shelf life of one year, but it's more like 6 months for best use.
>>
>>9208090
ok that's what I was thinking. I'll have to pick up some new resin and hope that solves my problem!
>>
>>9208021
IDK anon I bought some molds from Taobao and the pieces come sticky as well(It can't be the resin or the resin batch since I used other molds too and the pieces cured perfectly) Maybe some silicone molds have that kind of reaction. I'm glad I didn't spend much money on them but I was really eager to use them.
>>
>>9207636
ripping off other people's art was definitely a bad idea , good for you realizing that
>>
>>9208796
>Someone will definitely take it as an "I won!"
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
PSA for any anons in San Francisco: the Market St. Daiso carries UV resin now.
>>
>>9209082
So jealous. How much is it?
>>
>>9209343
$1.50
Clairemont Mesa Daiso in San Diego carries it too. I'm not sure about the Mira Mesa location though.
>>
File: 0.jpg (43KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
43KB, 480x360px
>>9209082
PSA. When buying. Purple is hard resin, yellow is hard resin but suppose to have glitter, and blue is for soft surfaces(like lace)

I wish US daiso's would start carrying the resin molds.
>>
>>9209355
I'm sure if we buy enough resin, they'll start sending more resin related products over to the US.
>>
>>9209367
I try to buy some each time I go. Even though UV resin is a bit pricey, it's still cheaper to buy multiple packs of daiso uv resin then one 25g bottle of padico uv resin.
>>
File: il_fullxfull.1086775533_hb66.jpg (590KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.1086775533_hb66.jpg
590KB, 1500x1500px
>people shitting themselves over these broaches
>the air bubbles
>did she even trim or sand these? the overflow on the back of the key...
Ok maybe I'm just salty bc she looks popular but the quality of this is...
>>
File: il_fullxfull.1091332209_tsm9.jpg (479KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.1091332209_tsm9.jpg
479KB, 1500x1500px
>>9209434
bubble bubble toil and trouble? buy a heat gun girl.
>>
File: 51Dbj0v-2AL._SY355_.jpg (13KB, 314x355px) Image search: [Google]
51Dbj0v-2AL._SY355_.jpg
13KB, 314x355px
>>9209436
That reminds me. I need to test my heat gun and make sure it works. Though you can buy one of these at dollar tree/99 cent store. It's what I use.
>>
>>9209348
>Live in australia
>our Daiso's don't carry any UV resin yet
> base price for our Daiso is $2.80AUD/$2.13 USD at current conversion and about 20% of stock is $5+
>see this thread
>cry
>>
>>9209434
I want to agree with you in a way. I definitely favourited the shop immediately myself because I liked what she was doing with the molds I also like to use. I was a bit surprised at the prices, though. It's ultimately one pour and some piece arrangement + glue, but the price of one piece is going to pay for all the materials in their entirety. Molds, findings, resin bottle and all. And that's before shipping. I've got a shop and I want to sell similar things but I had like, a third of that price in mind for a more complicated piece. (See Etsy thread for some apple and angel)
Idk. Secretly I wanna make some mad profit too.
>>
>>9209436

The glue job on this looks even worse than whatever that chick's pastel shit shop was.

>>9209804

I know that feel fampai. I just want to make mad bucks from selling cute shit I make.
>>
File: 9c0.jpg (29KB, 426x341px) Image search: [Google]
9c0.jpg
29KB, 426x341px
>>9209829
I feel like I get more business because I keep stuff affordable and shipping reasonable, especially internationally. A couple times I've eaten a few dollars loss to send stuff to Europe but I'm honestly just happy that people like the things I like to make enough to buy 'em from me. The more you craft and shop for materials, the more you get a sense of what things are really worth. It'd be nice to be rolling in the dollars for burando, but I'll settle for trying to make back what I spent to create them, lol.

BUT SEEING THOSE SALES SHE GOT
I am really tempted to see if mine'll sell at three times what I'm charging.
>>
>>9209844
I'd say maybe not got 3 times. Maybe consider raising your rates by 1.5x?

I just did a fair this weekend and my moat popular stuff was my resin pins. They were also one of my cheapest items.
>>
>>9209844
Sometimes I wonder if I charge too much. I get a lot of favorites but not so much in sales.
>>
Hey gulls how do you all fight the DUST?
I vacuum and wet clean the room before getting started, make sure everything is hospital-tier cleaned, - and still the freaking dust all the time. At that level doming pieces is a real hell for me.
>>
>>9209804
>>9209844
If anything, whenever I see gulls posting their resin work it's clear they're underselling and it makes me cringe. Her's looked normal to me. You don't sell things for at cost, you factor in time and other things too.
I also disagree with the complaints, I think they're cute but arguing about that will just get me called a whiteknight. I should never underestimate the jelly here.
>>
>>9209900

I think the concept is cute, I'm not arguing with you there. But there is clear resin/glue (not quite sure to be quite honest) sticking out from underneath the bunny, and there are lots of bubbles in the piece. This is just poor resin crafting, regardless of ideas.
>>
>>9209434

Did they have some sort of following before etsy or did they just pop up out of the blue?
>>
>>9209994
whoops nevermind, found out its run by rabbit_winner
7000+ followers. That explains it
>>
>>9209434
Oof. Look at the top of that key, half the holes aren't even filled in. The average person probably wouldn't care too much about the bubbles but that's just plain ugly... I have the same mold so I know how crappy it is (overflow on one side, underfilled on the other), I just cut off the tops and use the stems to stick to other pieces. That's really the only way I've been able to do anything decent with it.

>>9209804
Nearly everything in her shop sold, how much was the frame+key stuff going for?
>>
>>9210200
From what I remember it was over $30 CAD.
>>
i was thinking about making silicone mold
do you think their is a market for personalised mold?
>>
>>9210221
Hrmmm, it's a little high maybe, but I think it would be a fair price if she fixed all the obvious mistakes. I agree with >>9209900, I get the feeling a lot of others are underselling their work.
>>
>>9134474
How do you get the fixings into the mold like that, with the first one? Is there room to insert them built into the mold or do you some how get them in after you've poured?
>>
>>9210229
Post examples of what you mean? I'm sure someone would be interested
>>
>>9209082
Tfw Daiso is 800 miles away

>Closer than Japan but still so far away
>>
>>9209082
Do they have any pigments or frames like they do in the Japan Daisos? I'm considering making a day trip...
>>
File: image.jpg (124KB, 750x741px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124KB, 750x741px
Does anybody know where to get these gold key charm things with the rhinestones attached? Or is there some keyword I should be trying? I feel like I've searched everywhere.
>>
File: image.jpg (106KB, 750x634px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106KB, 750x634px
>>9210308
First pic was MilkyHug, so I don't think it's custom, must be from a shop somewhere?
>>
>>9210310
Have you tried Aliexpress? I feel like you could find that really easily just looking up "gold key charm craft" or similar
>>
>>9210314
Yeah I've checked there. I'm looking for that key thing in particular though, it looks like it might have the heart rhinestone attached since both MilkyHug and CaramelRibbon both have it.
>>
>>9209355
What would you use the yellow (glitter) resin for? I feel like I would want to have control over how much glitter goes in to a piece, that just sounds distracting
>>
>>9210317
*frustrating not distracting, autocorrect what are you doing
>>
File: image.jpg (100KB, 750x685px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100KB, 750x685px
>>9210316
Anon, you can find key charms anywhere and you can attach rhinestones yourself to get the same effect.

Sage because this is getting off topic
>>
>>9210317
From what I've seen. At least one reviewer found like, the tiniest bit of glitter in it. I have a tube of it too so I should really check it.
>>
>>9210317
Maybe for doming? Or I see some resin pieces in Japan where they like to add the glitter resin to small pieces with dried flowers so maybe it's a style.
>>
>>9210323
Let me know how it goes. I'm curious as to how much glitter is actually in there, I hope it doesn't settle in the tube or anything
>>
>>9210317
Yeah I'm doubtful too, but I might just pick up a tube to play with since it's cheap
>>
Do you think we will ever get resin stuff sold in stores at the same volume they're sold in Japan? Do you ever think it'll get popular enough? Part of me enjoys that its still small and exclusive-feeling at least where I am, but the other part of me is tired of paying overseas shipping and I would love to just walk into a dollar general and grab a tube of UV.
>>
>>9210334
If you look up earlier in the thread, one anon found UV resin at a Daiso. Baby steps anon, we're making baby steps.
>>
>>9210334
I mean, if we keep buying resin supplies retailers (small ones) should probably catch on pretty quickly and keep restocking or expanding their stock. It might take years for big box retailers like Hobby Lobby or Michaels to offer a wide range of resin products, unless it explodes in popularity soon.
>>
>>9210335
Resin is already way more popular than it was a year ago, do you think it'll keep continuing to grow or is it just another trend?
>>
>>9210340
Sorry, meant to reply to >>9210337
>>
>>9210340
I don't think it's necessarily a trend. I think it's more popular now than it has been in the past but that doesn't mean it's going to fade into obscurity. It's a hobby and it's a medium, it may not be this popular forever but I feel like it'll still be going on. People are still doing "old" crafts like model planes, crochet etc etc
>>
I heard you can put UV resin out in the sunlight to cure, those of you who have done it, how long does it take?
>>
>>9210360
Also if it takes a long time, what's the benefit? Why not just use epoxy 2 part resin?
>>
Thread is autosaging, new thread here

>>9210371
>>
>>9210365
It doesn't take a long time. It usually takes about 30mins to 1 hour.

The biggest difference between uv and epoxy is your work time and setting. UV you can let sit wet for days until you're ready to set it in sunlight or a uv lamp.

Also there's no mixing with UV resin. So you don't risk messing up your ratios like you do with epoxy.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 65

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.