[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Embroidery General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 12

File: image.jpg (915KB, 2599x2000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
915KB, 2599x2000px
Can we get a /cgl/ embroidery thread going on?

How long have you been doing embroidery?
What are you working on?
Favorite inspiration?
Favorite piece you've completed?
>>
File: 1463116808841.jpg (98KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1463116808841.jpg
98KB, 612x612px
Sort of related. I've been thinking of holding a cross stitch meet up. I love the idea of craft meetups but a lot of crafts I do are just way too messy to be done in lolita.

Ideas of best way to go about this? At first I was thinking of buying those little stitch pack things you can get at michaels (everything you need for a small preset stitch). But the stuff they have is kind of lame and outdated.

I know there are cross stitch pattern generators (I'm doing one I made currently with one). I was thinking maybe of making up a few that are lolita related, and then offering a choice of maybe 2 or 3 patterns to do at the meetup. Like one per person, choice of one the three if that makes sense?
If I was to do it this style, are there any good ways to judge how much thread I'd be needing?

>pic semi related
>>
I'm taking course in highfashion embroideries.

It's a lot more interesting and challenging than crossstitches.
>>
File: IMG_20160731_215817[1].jpg (356KB, 692x740px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160731_215817[1].jpg
356KB, 692x740px
I'm extremely new at embroidery, only started recently, as you can tell from the pic.
Current wip, Peter Rabbit. Here's hoping it looks alright enough for my bedroom wall.
>>
>>9123823
In what way is it different to normal embroidery (not just cross stitching)?
>>9123924
This is really cute anon!
>>
Ive done quite a bit of embroidery! I particularly love beading. Currently working on an intense piece for a Cosplay. Have done some samplers and other Cosplay pieces in the past too :) fave inspiration is definitely Michele Carraghers work in GOT. Fave piece I've completed is the sleeve piece for the one I'm working on atm.
>>
>>9125086
they can embroid ton of differnt thing going from raffia, sequins, beads, metallic (like in real metal) thread, leather appliqué or other fabrics, ribbons...
There are really shittons of technics.
>>
Best embroidery tutorials? I need to improve from my basic back-stitch.
>>
>>9123731
If you ever succeed in putting the meet together, I'd love to hear how it went! I've wanted to do something similar (even with knitting or w/e) but finding somewhere to do it is the issue, and an issue for another thread I guess.
I'm not much help, but I hope it comes together!
>>
File: IMG_20160324_205335659.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160324_205335659.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>9123717
Old pic of crosstitch I finished but I don't have it with me to take pics
>>
File: IMG_20160802_123814902.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160802_123814902.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
>>9125960
Also as far as questions:
>I learned when I was little but I hated it, ended getting a renewed interest when I start quilting two years ago.
>Inspiration
I love old fashioned samplers and antique patterns, my mom does historical theater costuming and she has lots of books of antique textiles and needlework
>What I'm working on/favorite piece
Pic related, working on a border to make it into a wall hanging
>>
>>9125787
Not quite a tutorial but pic related has a huge embroidery section that's fantastic and clear, if a little dated looking
>>
>>9125981
my sewing manual is Reader's Digest, I've not found a more concise book. I'll have to look out for this one! Thanks for sharing anon
>>
>>9125086
Not OP, but cross stitch looks like the pixelly thing in >>9123731 and -as its name implies- each square of colour is done with an "x" of stitching. It's pretty methodical and is a good way for beginners to learn how to hand sew (ie poking fabric with a needle, tying off thread, getting a feel for thread tension).

Embroidery is more like OP image - there's more fluidity in forms, and fashion embroidery can get as intense as
>http://www.michelecarragherembroidery.com/Game-of-Thrones-Gallery(2829575).htm
with beading, layers, and different techniques mixed in.
>>
>>9125981
>>9126023
This book is awesome, I've used the knitting section to teach myself and it was super helpful!
>>
>>9125640
Not to be a dick anon, but you can literally just buy a embroidery stitch encyclopedia and skip a course fee
>>
>>9125960
This is super cute anon!
>>
Anyone have any experience with goldwork and any books they recommend? I'm thinking about doing some for a cosplay I'm working on.
>>
>>9125640
That sounds amazing.
>>9126276
Thanks anon. I know the difference between cross stitch and embroidery, I was wondering if there were more specific techniques and things involved in fashion embroidery. Thanks for your answer though, and that link is great, there's so much amazing stuff there.
>>
I am doing cross-stitch on a cosplay right now. It has this native pattern on the clothes . It's fun but really tedious since I need to do about 10 strips of fabric with this, and each strip takes about 20 hours to make
>>
Can anyone recommend a website with free patterns for machine embroidery? All the ones I find on Google are so boring and childish
>>
>>9127169
Ive done a little! This book is amazing, as is the RSN book. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1863513663/
>>
>>9127548
Pinterest, maybe?
>>
I've dabbled in a tiny bit of ribbon embroidery, it's super fun.

My biggest hurdle is finding things I want to embroider and actual ribbon supplies that aren't shitty. I do have a Meta dress where I'd like to embroider the pockets but I've been extremely unmotivated to figure out what colors and flowers to go with.

Got really tired of needing to buy dead grannies old ribbon supplies as well D: I'd like to time travel to when Michaels and Joanns stocked ribbons

Favorite piece is the image attached. It's actually a mix between dyed ribbons and watercolors, which is really dangerous since that leaked a bit into the silk background.
>>
>>9128312
Wow, that's gorgeous! I have problems finding high quality non vintage supplies too, I'm willing to pay more, but I just can't find any
>>
>>9128312
That's a really lovely piece! I agree about the ribbons too, there's a ton where I live but they're all either mega shit and prone to falling apart as soon as you touch them or ancient donated goods of questionable quality. It really sucks.
>>
I wish I could still embroider, but it and crochet sort of ruined my hands. I would love to see some of /cgl/'s work! What is everyone's favorite subject matter to stitch?
>>
>>9127640
Not the anon that asked, but thank you! I'm going to buy this tonight!

>>9128312
I absolutely love this, and the frame is such a lovely idea.
I was wondering, do you guys stabilize your hand embroidery? I feel like it will turn out nicer if I do, and I was wondering if you guys have experience with it.
>>
I started embroidering for my quilt blocks and fell in love with it.

I was planning on embroidering a skirt for Lolita, but I'll practice with my quilting a bit more before I attempt it.
>>
File: bw105.jpg (182KB, 400x323px) Image search: [Google]
bw105.jpg
182KB, 400x323px
I'd love to incorporate blackwork trims into my wardrobe. I've recently become obsessed with the look of it.
>>
>>9127548
Unfortunately there's not a lot out there for free, especially cause most people who can afford an embroidery machine are tacky old ladies. I reciently found embroideryshristi .com, and I really like looking through their freebies. Some tacky, plain stuff, but also things for saris and kaftans? Which is really cool, and useful if you have some good editing software.
Also, you probably already know about them, and their designs aren't free, but I really like Urban Thread's stuff. I wish I knew what I could use some of their design packs for, cause that's the only thing stopping me from buying them.
>>
>>9128716
I camped ebay and etsy, was stressful though.
Oh and I can't recommend the ribbon from http://honey-dere.tumblr.com/post/148471761362/hayoubi-pok%C3%A9-monogatari on Amazon shit is absolute trash to work with, most of the time it just dissolves into threads and holes

I really need to find a good frame supply as well :(
>>
>>9128809
Stabilizing depends on the piece and the material. If it's going on clothes or as a patch, I always stabilize. I rarely stabilize anything that's just going into a frame or to be hung on a wall.
>>
>>9129017

Not that person, but I really want some of the UT design packs for pillows, quilts, pot holders, and towels. I'd also love to make decorations for christmas/halloween. Too bad I don't really have any extra to spend on packs right now.

Currently, I'm using some of the halloween/skull stuff to make my friend a makeup/whatever bag. The freestanding lace designs can usually be fashioned into earrings or other jewelry.
>>
I'm in the mood to practice digitizing for machine embroidery if anyone has a cute image they'd like done.
>>
>>9123717
I want to get back into hand embroidery or start cross stitching at some point. I used to hand embroider a lot but I was super slow and not that great at it. Eventually got a embroidery machine and now all my floss just sits in a plastic container. I feel a little bad for them ):
I do want to get better with the machine though. I'm still not that great with working the digitizing program I use. Any other gulls do machine embroidery?
>>
File: il_fullxfull.961589216_9e54.jpg (556KB, 1500x1220px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.961589216_9e54.jpg
556KB, 1500x1220px
I just so happened to come across a vintage cross stitch kit about a week ago and lordy it's been a downward slope since then. I'm going to have a huge backlog of stuff I want to stitch

For everyone here, what are your favorite sort of designs to stitch? I personally love vintage designs, especially floral as well as teacups/teapots.
>>
>>9130209
I love it.
It's like analogue pixel art.
>>
>>9128798
I like to go through museum collections and pick out interesting patterns. There used to be a lot of paper embroidery patterns in the 1700s that women would use as a guide, either pricked and pounced or pinned onto thin cloth and embroidered directly on top. They're easy to embroider and quite clean, simple patterns most of the time, since they were made for non-professional embroiderers.
>>9129626
That's really stunning. What fabric did you use?
>>
Found my new favorite thread. Thanks for making this OP.

I have a lot of embroidery and needlework books I hoard because honestly; I may have a craft book hoarding problem...anyway, I'll see if I can get any photos of the best pages in them if anyone wants. Sadly, I don't have a scanner.

I actually have only embroidered, I've never cross stitched before. I learned most of my craft skills in a fibers class in high school, like weaving, silk dying, embroidery, ect
>>
>>9130209
Aargh anon, I have a couple of designs in that series & was pointing that one out to my husband to be on the lookout a few days ago! I love the older xstitches
>>
File: 5VtVPcw.jpg (895KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
5VtVPcw.jpg
895KB, 2448x3264px
I don't embroider as much as I do other sewing/needlework projects but I enjoy it a lot too. I'm self taught so I probably don't have the best technique. I usually trace a pattern onto fabric, hoop it and then 'color in the lines' with embroidery floss. I like the feeling of painting with thread, if that makes sense. I'd like to try using other things like yarn or ribbon sometime as well.

(team Valor bandana I did as an example)
>>
>>9131801
I got that pattern for only $3 plus shipping on ebay. Here's one right here if you need it for around $6 plus shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pattern-Cross-Stitch-Paula-Vaughan-CAMEO-OF-THE-PAST-La-520-book-8-/142072943587?_trksid=p2352135.m2548.l4275

If you're interested Paula has her own website where she sells pdf copies of all of her designs for $5, albeit some of them at the bottom lead to a 404: http://paulav.com/crossstitchdd.html
>>
>>9125981
Seconding (thriding?) this is an excellent book. I finally was able to learn tatting with it after trying so many other tutorials.

>>9127548
I sketch out and then digitize my own with a freeware program called Thred.

http://www.thredworks.com/index.php

>>9128312
Thats really lovely. I've been wanting to make some embroidered accessories but haven't gotten around to it.

It's a weird thought but would seam binding work for ribbon embroidery. It has the same sort of weight to silk embroider ribbon but it's alot less expensive and easier to get. Might be too wide though.
>>
>>9132303
Thank you kind anon!
>>
>>9131818
That's really nice! It could be a bit neater, true, but I like how the stitches look.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.