[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

San Japan 009 - San Antonio Discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 7

File: San_Japan_-_Revised_Logo.png (160KB, 3002x4829px) Image search: [Google]
San_Japan_-_Revised_Logo.png
160KB, 3002x4829px
Beta schedule's out gulls.

Hows your cosplays going? Any panels you're looking forward to?
>>
All I care about is the Rookiez concert.
>>
Does anyone else think it's weird that Mint Neko and galaxxxy are sharing a fashion show? Like I get there's a bit of an overlap in style but I feel they aren't cohesive
>>
>>9117217
Agreed. It would make more sense if it was a general j-fashion show where all three guest brands were featured.
>>
i'll just be the one to say it. i don't know if theres new staff this year, but whoever is in charge of selecting and scheduling panels is a moron. why are there 18+ panels at 1-2 in the afternoon? why are half the panels this year extremely cringy? wtf is going on?
>>
>>9117986
So you'd prefer 25 panels about delusional shit cosplayers pretending to ship each other?
>>
>>9118095
Don't act like it's a black-and-white thing.
>>
>>9117222
>>9117217
Speaking of fashion show, have models been contacted yet? I applied and I'm really hoping to be apart of it but I'm not sure if I should keep hoping or just give up.
>>
>>9118260
I dunno I'd rather see some substance for panels instead of shitshows of badly worn cosplays pretending to be a character that they fantasize in their head is what they'd be like in real life then vomit the shit all over people. I appreciate the conventions who bans them.
>>
>>9117986
I dont mind 18+ panels being in the middle of the day. Being at a con all day in costume can be pretty tiring and a late night adult panel will be less attractive than sleep.
>>
>>9118303
That's a good point. It's a little weird to have 18+ panels in the daytime, but I can get used to it.
>>
>>9118287
I don't think so, they're still accepting applications till the 31st iirc. I would think they would contact models after then
>>
>>9117986

So they haven't always had 18+ panels all day? I checked the schedule and saw mine are mid afternoon and early evening nad was a bit surprised. I'll take it, though. Means I'm not up at 2 am like A-fest wants.

>>9118301

This. Q&A were the worst use of time and only seemed to inflate people's egos.

>>9117986
>half the panels this year extremely cringy

So run one yourself next year?
>>
>>9118301
I'm not saying those are good, just that it's not like we have to pick between generally-cringy or Ask panels.
I'm the weirdass that honestly wouldn't mind fewer panels in the schedule overall (ie. taking out all/most of the cringe), but I barely go to panels anyway.
>>
>>9118343
then i guess your opinion doesnt really matter huh? :^)
>>
>>9117986
I noticed that a lot of panels that run through the Texas con circuit didn't make it to San Japan. I think it has more to do with the date and out-of-town folks not being able to confirm their attendance since its on Labor day weekend. I do wish more local, creative panelists had stepped up.
>>
File: 1469301931861.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
1469301931861.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
really behind on cosplays famb but i hope the fashion show goes well and choices are made soon
>>
>>9118375
Why does the SJ staff always act like this. Faggot

Dont worry Dave will cancel half the panels to save a few dollars.
>>
>>9118301
>I'd rather see some substance for panels
Like what? Badly organized cosplay contests?
>>
>>9118626
How in the world would cancelling panels save money? You would be losing it to have paid for the space and then not utilize it...
>>
When's Third Strike?
>>
>>9118375
Have you ever considered there's a reason I don't go to many panels? :^)
>>
>>9118781
I rarely go to any panels at all the cons I attend around the USA. I know most are crap. Your point being?
>>
>>9118759
before fourth
>>
File: runescape2.png (18KB, 498x520px) Image search: [Google]
runescape2.png
18KB, 498x520px
>day -35
>people already bitching about panels of all things
>>
>>9119741
People always bitch about panels once there's an update on the schedule.
>>
>>9119741
> bitch about panels
> refuse to do anything about it
> blame the convention

every Texas con thread.
>>
>>9119776
this shit...
>>
File: mad.png (150KB, 700x615px) Image search: [Google]
mad.png
150KB, 700x615px
>>9119776
>expecting /cgl/ to fix anything they complain about
Pic related. /cgl/ Texas threads in a nutshell.
>>
>>9119795
Still better than when all TX threads would get overtaken by trolls and vendetta-chans.
>>
File: 1412287271042.gif (325KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1412287271042.gif
325KB, 500x281px
Late Night Gaming dude here. Don't really give a crap about all the drama; I'm here for the vidya gamez and to see friends (living in Maryland now, so San Japan is a nice reunion for me).

>>9118759
I'll bring my 360 if I can (does the TSA care about bringing consoles on flights?). I have a buttload of fighting games on there, including 3SO, SSF4, Skullgirls, etc.
>>
>>9119776
What are we supposed to do? Submit more panels even though the deadline for this year is long gone? Hold a fucking protest at the con?
This whole board's for nothing but discussion. Of course we're going to talk about things, even if it's something we don't have much control over.
>>
>>9120172
Doesn't matter what you submit, you have to suck up to the staff for a year or more to get approval for anything.
>>
>>9119859
They still do.
>>
>>9120181
There's a few who would overrun them in the past. They seem to have moved on or died.
>>
>>9118328
Im running two myself you dumb shit. I've been doing panels at san japan for a couple of years now, which is why I say that there had to have been a change because the quality has dropped big time. after all this bs, im not submitting any next year.
>>
I think a lot of the poor paneling this year has to do with San Japan trying too hard to get "creative" and "new" panels set up. I host panels at around 5 Texas conventions every year. and this will be my fourth year at San Japan doing it. however, SJ only accepted ONE out of my five submissions, despite the fact that I have hosted all but one of them previously with full turnouts and excellent 4_ star reviews on Guidebook afterwards.

So no, people do not just need to "step up" and submit better stuff. We did submit better stuff, but our submissions got overlooked in favor of new shit like "Hot Dads of Anime" because San Japan wants to be quirky...

Also, this bugs me every year as a panelist here, but would it kill them to give panelists a free badge for them and their co-panelists for one panel? Having to do four hours for a free ticket is insane, considering that's 3-4 different panels and the prep work for one good one is insane. The one panel I have this year takes me four hours to put together despite only being 1.5 hours long. Yet, I don't even qualify for the 2 hours 50% off discount. If A-Kon and even Ikkicon can afford free tickets for panelists donated time, San Japan should be able to too.
>>
>>9120896
4+ star reviews*
>>
so any plains on where that orgy is being held?
>>
>>9120890
Yeah there has been a change. Jay left. An asshole to be sure, but he knew how to get shit done.
>>
>>9120910
Do it in an unused meeting room
>>
>>9120896
Volunteers barely get any perks for putting in their time, why should you and your friends get a free badge for doing one hour of "work"? Four hours is very generous and if your panel is actually fun and attentive, those hours fly by.
>>
>>9120167
>>expecting /cgl/ to fix anything they complain about
>>9120167
Oh man I'll deff bring some of my xbox sticks if people actually wanna play 3s and USFIV
>>
>>9120942
Maybe, just maybe, everyone deserves an overhaul of "perks" and volunteers are no better than panelists? Anyone can volunteer, but not everyone can keep a room filled with hundreds of people entertained for hours. Just because a total of 4-6 hours of work doesn't seem like much to you doesn't make it any less valid.

My point stands. Every other convention does at least two free badges for a panel. I'm not asking for them for me and my friends. I'm asking for me and my co-panelist, who dedicate hours of our time to provide free programming to a con, to not be dismissed for it.

Get your head out of your ass, anon.
>>
>>9120964
wtf ignore the first part of that post
>>
>>9120968
>I'm asking for me and my co-panelist, who dedicate hours of our time to provide free programming to a con
Unless it's something like the fucking formal ball, I can hardly see any panel needing hours of preparation.
>>
>>9120968
Not sure about a free badge considering they're only giving you one panel this year, but yeah you should get at least a discount since you're required to be there at this point.
>>
>>9120916
thats just sex or at most a three some
but what about the ORGY
>>
>>9120972
Not everything is just Q&A you know. Mine involves sourcing 15-20 materials and creating a presentation based around it.

>>9120976
Nope. You'd think, but the way they do it here is 50% off at 2 hours, 75% at 3, and free at 4.
>>
File: 20111118213657b92.jpg (105KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
20111118213657b92.jpg
105KB, 512x288px
Hey guys, we have an SJ2016 LINE chat set up already, come join! Discuss random cosplay/lolita shit and find people to hang out with at the con. Maybe find a party or drinking buddies, who knows?

We usually get raided with a public link so to avoid that shoot me a pm (my user ID is krispychicken) and I'll add you!

There's also a Discord chat, will drop the link later.
>>
Anyone competing in the cosplay show? I'm not, but I love watching them.
>>
>>9121072
Competing here. Entering with my first ever self made costume. Already won awards at two other comicbook conventions this year. Not lookin to win but to just show off the work i put into it.
>>
>>9120302
Apparently, lol, the one guy they kept starting drama with is working for the nsa off portranco. Haven't seen him at any cons for a few years.

A few of the troublemakers have been removed from staff. Won't see much drama from the staff anymore with any luck.
>>
>>9121063
I hope you add a muslim terrorist by mistake.
>>
>>9121573
dont be mean anon, come make friends u sour puss u ;^{
>>
>>9121072
Same, I love the drama that comes with it
>>
>>9121148
>Apparently, lol, the one guy they kept starting drama with is working for the nsa off portranco.
Chris?
>>
Does anyone know if they're going to add more programming for j-fashion? I'd love to see a panel with MINT NeKO and the galaxxxy representative.
>>
Last day of fashion show application submissions! Does anyone know when people get selected?
>>
>>9123168
The submission page just says "soon after" the 31st so hopefully in the next couple of weeks. Last year we were notified roughly two weeks before the con so hopefully it will happen sooner this year.
>>
For someone who has never competed in a large cosplay show before (have done tiny little comic con ones) how big is the San Japan one? Are the judges super picky?
>>
>>9122017
No. The other guy. Barry.

I haven't seen Chris in about a year. I was under the impression he quit the steampets comic and isnt doing cons anymore. I could be wrong.
>>
>>9125930
Wasn't there another one who used to tripfag under the name Slendy?
>>
>>9125930
He still shows up at cons. He ditched his comics as he keeps to himself when he's there so you don't hear anything.
>>
>>9126043
Chris is more trouble than any of the others and has caused quite a bit of drama at the Dr Who meetups; not surprised hes still lurking the cons trying to hide out.
>>
>>9125446
Bumpin for answers too. Is there bias against armor?
>>
>>9126392
I didnt compete last year but in the past they have always had a preference for sewing over armor. If your costume is mostly armor it had better be impressive as fuck.
>>
Anyone planning coords for the tea party yet?
>>
>>9126390
Like the genital warts, just because you havent seen him in a year doesnt mean he is gone.

Ever since the 1st san japan, Chris would start drama with somebody. Whoever tries to be his friend will be forced to deal with the bulk of his drama, eventually it will be directed at that friend and they become the new villain to Chris.

Makes me wonder why Dave has stuck with him despite Chris causing drama repeatedly, making volunteers quit, making staff rage quit, creeping in every girl around. Instead he gets rid of the people Chris starts the drama with.

The reason you dont see him at other cons like tx comicon or alamo? He avoids them since they will not give him free tables, allow him to host 100 panels to show off his work, or kiss his ass like he is Stan Lee.
>>
>>9127223
I can't comment on all of that but as someone in the steampunk community in the past I can confirm he is a creeper and if you turn him down, no matter how polite, he will shit talk you behind your back for YEARS. Even if he still acts nice to your face. Like seriously I had no idea until someone told me it was him saying shit.
Avoid this guy if possible.
>>
>>9122344
They'll probably announce a panel closer to the con or announce it at their booth, which happened at ACEN
>>
>>9126900
I am!
>>
File: Dealers-Map-With-Names20161.jpg (215KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
Dealers-Map-With-Names20161.jpg
215KB, 1275x1650px
Dealer Room map is out
>>
>>9129226
I really appreciate all the booths being labeled so its easy to head straight to who you want to shop at but this kinda looks like a clusterfuck arrangement?
>>
>>9129226
Thanks anon
>>
>>9129226
Galaxxxy doesn't have a booth?
>>
>>9129927
Thank fucking god, may that atrocious brand burn to the ground.
>>
>>9126409
Seems like every year armor never wins over sewing. As for how harsh they judge, SJ judges tend to be way pickier than I've seen at other cons. Can't remember if it was last year or the year before but two of the judges had some huge criteria for how seams and lining had to be sewn and specific stitches that had to be used to even be considered for an award.
>>
>>9127223
>>9127318
Sounds like Melida Anayancy from the Secundaria #6 Carmen Serdán at Reynosa.
>>
>>9126900
Yeah, what is everyone else wearing?
>>
>>9120972

Not that anon but all of the panels I've worked on have taken months of prep. It's not like I'm working on them every day for months, but we have to research things, write up our content, find images, etc. Not every panel is a research paper, but not every panel is a throwaway someone is doing for a free badge.

Since so many cons have banned Q&A, I think panelists should get free badges. Cons fundamentally lose money yes, but panelists also provide programming. I don't feel like it's too much to ask for someone to get in for free in exchange for giving the con content. Otherwise you're paying to do it, not really volunteering.
>>
>>9131138
I'm freaking out because the dress I bought off CC didn't end up fitting me in the bust.
>>
>>9131114
Nope.
>>
>>9131145
Exactly this. SJ has on their submission forms FAQ that it's free to host a panel but it's really not when you're paying for your ticket to get in which you need to host your panel. The way I see it, you give two people free tickets for hosting one panel and you lose the monetary value of two tickets. But in exchange you get two people entertaining a room filled with hundreds of con-goers for 1+ hours. My only panel this year, which takes a ton of prep work, is in a 500+ capacity room. I'm basically paying the convention to entertain 500+ of their guests and it's ridiculous.

This is why SJ gets such shitty submissions and why so many panelists don't show up so last minute cancellations happen. Keep your panelists happy and they'll keep coming back with more quality content. Screw them over and you're stuck with the same trash you get every year at this con.
>>
>>9131224
You do realize they charge people to volunteer? There have been staff and volunteers come here post convention every year to cry about not getting paid or volunteers bitching about not getting their money back. Dont expect a room or food either.

Maybe they've changed this year. LEL. But theyve been known for working volunteers like slaves and mistreating them, topping it off with talking down to anyone that brings it up and acting as if they should be happy they were given a chance despite being treated that way and shut up about it.

Tl;dr you wont get anything free from SJ. You wont be paid for working for sj. You'd best stop complaining before they figure out who you are.

See
>>9131114
>>
>>9131065
The judges dont want you using anything premade. You'll need your own textile fabrication factory to compete in any mainline convention now.
>>
>>9131224

>>9131145 here. For reference, this is my first time attending at all, so I'm very new to their system. I know no con is perfect but I think a better solution is to limit the number of free passes you get per a certain number of hours. One hour one badge maybe. It is true that cons just can't give out a ton of free badges, so if you limit the free ones per panel, it will cut down on some cost. I guess, as a panelist, I see it as a small cost the con incurs to have content.

I'm used to A-fest having a similar system of needing 4 hours, but I'm also used to all my panels getting in there. I already have an AA table at San Japan so not all the panels getting in didn't really affect my badge situation, but it does for my co-panelists who are very much equal in all the effort. It's not some situation where I roped in a friend to click slides and want them to get free badges.

That said I've seen cons that treat panelists as volunteers and were requiring like 10+ hours of content to get a free badge. 4 hours is doable, but you have to submit a lot and hope it all gets in.

>>9131292

That's awful if they charge people to volunteer. I can't see why anyone would, even out of pure goodness. Are they making them pay for badges or just not offering crash space?

Since I'm new to the con, anything else I should know about panels before I go? I'd like for my group to be prepared for what we're gonna have to deal with when we get there.
>>
>>9131292
>You wont be paid for working

Name an anime con in Texas that you get paid to work. I'd like to know anon. Who actually gives out cold hard cash to volunteer? Sure as hell isn't Animefest or A-kon. Anime Matsuri notoriously screws everyone over. Have you gotten paid by a con?
>>
>>9131332
Not the anon you're replying to but I thought Akon paid volunteers that worked a certain number of hours or is that not right (legitimately asking, not arguing)?
>>
>>9131347
You got some bad info in who ever told you that was true. It doesn't pertain to any anime conventions in Texas. You get a badge along with a pat on the back if you bother to finish your shift.
>>
I'm so anxious waiting for confirmation on who gets into the fashion show. I know its only the sixth, but still.
>>
>>9131292
I couldn't give a shit at this point if they figure out who I am. this is my last year hosting free content for them anyways after all this bs.
>>
This will be my first con in several years, and my first time cosplaying. I'm a little anxious though since my lazy butt is still behind and there's only about 3 weeks left.

Also, I don't have anyone to go/hang out with atm so that sucks.
>>
>>9131332
>pay $10 to volunteer at sj
>work 10 hours for a badge
>get a $30 dealers room voucher
>crash space

Good luck getting crash space at all, and you will never find the person to get the dealers room voucher on sunday, it wont just be 10 hours in a couple shifts either. People quit on the first day or don't actually work and you will have to fill for them, most likely missing any events you wanted to attend.

Sure that is 99% of cons now, but that doesn't make it any better.
>>
>>9131833
join the line group or discord group anon, we'll be your friend!

on that note does anyone feel like organising a gull meet up?
>>
>>9132165
is there a different Line group for SJ?
i think i'm still in the A-kon one
>>
>>9132165
I'm a newbie to discord; how exactly do I join the group?
>>
>>9132969
https://discord.gg/yWzHQ5W
invite for the discord. the discord was intended to screen people who wanted to join the Line group since line has some weird culture of randoms looking to hijack groups and we dealt with that like twice last year
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.