[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making friends at a con

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: 1469220168289.gif (1MB, 456x456px) Image search: [Google]
1469220168289.gif
1MB, 456x456px
Since all my friends cancelled on me for the con, I need to make friends to hang out with at the con.
Anyone have any advice or stories of accomplishing this?
>>
>>9116192
Unforunately anon, if you don't know how to make friends in a public place, being at a con isn't going to help.

Some tips include - being friendly (smile), being female, being not ugly.
>>
>>9116196
I'm at least 2/3 of those
>>
>>9116192
Decide what you want to do via the schedule, talk to people who are doing the same things?
>>
>>9116203
Don't bother going, then. Ugly people don't belong at cons.
>>
>>9116192
Bar rules apply. Stand in smoker areas even if you don't smoke.

>smokers are a lot friendlier and will usually talk with a stranger
>people at con tend to vape so you won't have to smell bad
>they are in a central location

I'll do this at bars and meet tons of people. Works even better around muh nerdy people.
>>
>>9116196
Not true AT ALL. Making friends at cons is a lot easier since, well, if someone is cosplaying from, say, pokemon, it is easy to go up and talk to them about pokemon, as opposed to regular public where someone doesn't give any indication on the sort of stuff they like, making it hard to find an excuse to go up and talk to that person.

If you want to make friends at a con, the biggest must is cosplay, even if it is a simple cosplay. You don't want to be seen as a casual just going to the con to hit on people.

>>9116220
And take atleast 10 years off your life due to lung caner.
>>
How about you enjoy your time alone?
>>
>>9116228
More importantly, how would I handle the fact that I'm alone? Should I pull the /tv/ excuse and say all my friends cancelled on me or should I say something else
>>
>>9116236
Just be honest? Why would you lie about something so stupid?
>>
>>9116216
Cons are 80% ugly people, if I'm being generous.
>>
>>9116220
Vapers are worse than actual smokers actually. Like a mouth fedora.
Just enjoy your lonesome OP. Enjoy it while you can.
>>
>>9116236
Don't even mention it, to be honest. It doesn't matter, no one cares, plenty of people solo cons for a variety of reasons. If they ask, be honest in 5 words or less. It's really not important.

Definitely cosplay, and use convenient convention related ice breakers. Strike up conversations in lines, where no one has anything better to do. Talk about the thing you're standing in line for. Ask them about themselves - what are you cosplaying from? Are you doing well on Street Pass? What panels are you excited about? People generally like talking about themselves.

I almost always bring a deck of Cards Against Humanity in my bag to break out during especially long sit-down lines. It's a crowd pleaser.

Go to events that encourage meeting new people. Board games & tabletop games are great for that, but so are panels with team based competitions. Try the speed dating panel. Stop by the photoshoot for the series you're cosplaying, you won't get any good pictures, but you'll meet twenty other people who like the same series you do.

Look into unofficial events. Draw parties, fandom or j-fashion meet ups, etc. These are harder to find for conventions that don't have their own forum, but facebook & tumblr are worth looking into, and there are often meet ups organized on /cgl/ specifically to meet other gulls, too.

But above all: Be polite, friendly, and watch for social cues. Be respectful and back off if someone doesn't want to talk to you - find someone else who does.
>>
File: 1430339178084.jpg (31KB, 460x440px) Image search: [Google]
1430339178084.jpg
31KB, 460x440px
>>9116216
ugly peeple dont belong at cons lol
>>
File: 1464402615232.jpg (103KB, 816x900px) Image search: [Google]
1464402615232.jpg
103KB, 816x900px
>>9116228
Nigga cancer is a fucking meme disease and you'll just for from killing yourself anyway.
>>
Start that shit off with a joke
>hey what do you call a bear out in the rain?
>what anon
>a drizzly bear

works every time
>>
Honestly lines are one of the best places to meet people, like half of the conversations I've started or had started with me were in some long ass line waiting for something. You already have a common interest at that point, you can start off with talking about the thing you're in line to see or do.

Don't overthink it, you're good and you can do it
>>
>>9116669
basically this.

>start at back of line
>find someone who doesn't look like a pedophile and ask "Is this for the ___?"
>oh, when's it start?
>running late? Why that never happens before (add sarcasm in voice)
>then branch into a bit more small talk, crack a few memes, and maybe sit next to them. If things go well, grab lunch/dinner or hit up another panel together, if not...
>Alright, I'll see you later? I'll be around the ____
and then leave.
>>
>>9116192
A year or so ago I was at a big con, went to a late-night screening of School Days, had a blast MST3K-ing it with some dudes there who seemed to share my sense of humor. 5 minutes after it was over I realized I should've invited them out for drinks or something (even though I don't drink) but by then they were already gone and I never saw them again.

And, uh, that's my story. I guess learn from my mistakes?
>>
>>9116233
>>9116329
Who goes to a fucking convention to be alone?
>>
I'm ugly but make a lot of friends anyway. Tips: make your current friends introduce you to mutuals, wear a FOTM or recognizable cosplay when you first meet them, don't take things too seriously and just smile and laugh a lot
>>
Bump for interest
>>
>>9116236
Seconding the others, just be honest. No one likes a liar.
>>
>>9116669
Seconded. I've met plenty of people just standing in line. People seem a lot more willing to strike up conversation since we're all waiting anyway.

If you're uncomfortable in general, it's going to show and people will notice. Just have a good time and don't base your whole con on meeting people. If it happens, cool. If not, enjoy your time hanging out anyway.
>>
>>9116192
>Go to room party
>have a drink or three
>find other tipsy people
>after talking for a bit, (you're at con, you're gonna have common interests) invite them to wander over to other room parties
>repeat at each party

R
>>
>>9116192
Drinking. I've made most of my 'friends for con weekend' though hitting up bars around the con. Also photoshoots if you're cosplaying, you can usually find some nice people there to click with.
>>
>>9121596
Seconding photoshoots.
>>
>>9121596
>>9121825
Being friendly to photographers can get you a long long way.
>>
I made friends with a few girls at a line for a hentai panel. Very interesting convo.
>>
Do your cons have a forum or message board? It may have a meetup section, or some other section where you can throw out that you're attending and would like to hang out. Maybe spend a few days getting to know people through the forums. It may help you feel more comfortable than if you were just talking to people randomly irl.
>>
>>9116216
why do you go then?
>>
>>9121952
Explain
>>
>>9116249
>>9116236

What they said.

Most of the reactions i get from people about me going alone are something along the lines of, Oh that's so cool, or Wow ballsy as fuck, i could never do that.

>>9116192
Just be friendly, honestly. even if your not a talkative person. even if you are a dude, you'll probably make some friends, as long as you're not a tottal spaz or a cringey creepy fuck.
>>
File: 1425683848039.gif (75KB, 130x130px) Image search: [Google]
1425683848039.gif
75KB, 130x130px
>>9116329
>mouth fedora
I will remember this
thank you
>>
>>9116192
build a super awesome cosplay
make people want to be your friend
>>
What do you do when you're going alone and have no cosplay?
>>
Do rejection therapy.

It's basically where you lose your fear of social situations by putting yourself in a position where you'll be rejected.

I don't mean like asking people out, but by going up to them and asking them to do things for you or for something impossible or improbable.

The idea is that you'll get turned down by a lot of people and overcome your fear of talking to random people because you're so used to having people reject you and say no.

It's particularly good if you can film yourself at the same time because you can do interviews or quiz games or any stuff.
>>
I find the best way to make friends is to go to the convenience shop closest to the con, grab a conspicuous amount of alcohol for 1am and start chatting to the group of others doing the same.
>>
>>9127939
Smoke and people-watch whenever you're not at a panel/buying shit/whatever.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.