[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When was the last time you took apart your sewing machine and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: DSC02206.jpg (3MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02206.jpg
3MB, 4608x2592px
When was the last time you took apart your sewing machine and cleaned it /cgl/?
Pic related is my machine after a few months of sewing fur material. I clean the outside often, but neglected the inside.
>>
Is it possible to make this a sewing machine general? I need to learn so much about caring for my machine properly, but it didn't come with the manual so I feel completely lost.
>>
>>9112289
I don't see why not.
>>
File: Sewing area.jpg (1MB, 3460x2575px) Image search: [Google]
Sewing area.jpg
1MB, 3460x2575px
>>9112289
Sure! This is my machine.

I clean mine my machine by taking the little brush it came with and my hand held vacuum, use the brush to sweep up the dust and vacuum it up and vacuum all the small dust that floats around. Can of air and vacuum works great too.

Also, make sure you change your sewing needle regularly. You should change it after just a few hours of work. I've read change needles between 2 and 5 hours of use.
>>
>>9112290
>>9112319
Cool. I am mostly concerned about oiling and general upkeep. I am good about changing my needles, and have a designated brush I use to clean out the fluff and what not. I just can't figure out where/how to properly oil. I have an older machine and found a diagram online, but unfortunately it is to a different model and I am too afraid to just start putting oil everywhere. But now I can't use my machine at all because it screeches and scares the life out of me. Does it need to be taken in for a full service, or is this something I can fix myself?
>>
>>9112281
When I pick up my machine after getting repaired once the guy showed me a bag full of lint he'd cleaned out of it and saved so he could shame me with it.
>>
>>9112333
if it's making loud noises you should probably take it in. you can ask the person who services it to show you where to oil it, or you can find the manual for your machine online if you search the model number (assuming it isn't an antique).
>>9112417
this is really funny and it's going to help me remember to dust out my machine more often!
>>
>>9112281
I opened my machine up yesterday (probably for the first time ever) and it looked just like this
>>
I dust mine after every couple of projects.
But I know I should change my needles more often. I also oil mine every month or so, just a few drops on the bits where friction sets in worst. But my baby's a 20 year old Kenmore that is so well behaved I haven't had to get him serviced more than once a year. Your mileage may vary.
>>
>>9112319
How does the Heavy Duty machine work for you? I've had the 2277 Tradition model for about two years and I'm having a lot of trouble with the tension.
I am also a horrible person when it comes to maintenance and barely cleaned the inside this past week.
I'm primarily doing more work with pleathers and suede cloth right now, should I switch models or give some TLC to mine and stick with it?
>>
>>9114029
I've had it for over a year with around 1,000 hours with it and I sew very heavyweight fur material and it sews with absolutely no problems.

Idk if you should switch, but if you do, I think this machine is good.
>>
I clean mine out every couple of projects too.

Funny enough though it is a model that says do not oil. I bought oil for it and cracked open the guide and it said straight out... DO NOT OIL.

So now I'm like... how? How do you not need oil?
>>
>>9112281
Can you still do this even if you have one of the cheaper ~$100 machines?
>>
>>9114504

Yeah! Just get out your instruction booklet and look for the section on cleaning.

You just need a little soft brush to get at the lint.
Advanced mode you can use canned air or a tiny vacuum.
>>
I'm a newbie when it comes to sewing, but I try to clean my sewing machine out every between every finished cosplay. I just use the brush that came with it to remove all the fluff/lint. The manual for my machine said that you should not use comperessed air for the cleaning as all it does is push the fluff further into the machine. My manual also says not to oil the machine, which I found weird. All the inside parts are metal so I assumed they'd need oiling but I guess not?
What my manual doesn't tell me is how often should I be changing needles. How can you tell a needle is getting dull?
>>
>>9114504
Sure, just take the bobbin out and unscrew and remove the plate.
>>9114561
>The manual for my machine said that you should not use comperessed air for the cleaning
You shouldn't use *only* compressed air. Compressed air and a vacuum is a good idea to get to the harder to reach areas.
>My manual also says not to oil the machine, which I found weird.
This confuses me too. Its never a straight forward answer with oiling your machine x.x
>How can you tell a needle is getting dull?
You will sometimes start to see a decline in sewing, like the fabric will bunch up more and not sew straight. Everywhere I read, they say to change after around 3 to 5 hours of sewing so I normally just do that.
>>
>>9114497
I have a Janome that's self lubricating - you're not supposed to oil it. Idk how it works, but hey, sounds great. I hate messing with oil.

>>9112333
>I just can't figure out where/how to properly oil.
My mother taught me to put oil on all the moving parts/joints. It'll probably be best if you take it in to get it serviced though - screeches are not good. They can show you how to do it there.
>>
Last project I did was a fannel baby blanket. Never felt the need to clean my machine before like I do now
>>
File: image.png (122KB, 2400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
122KB, 2400x2400px
Cleaning the machine is just as good as cleaning the old ball-type mouse. Love it.
>>
My machine usually dictates when he needs to be cleaned by refusing to do the simplest task. I have learned to be a good handler and not argue. He also likes to lengthen every fifth stitch for no other reason than to be exceedingly annoying. I just got a tune up and it's still there.
Yes, my sewing machine has a male name and no real gender. Just something I could yell while threatening it in my lack of sleep project state.
>>
>>9118293

>mfw I use male pronouns for mine too

It's like every old sea captain calling his boat "she" I guess.
>>
>>9118293
>>9118299
I personify mine as well. She's a 'she' though. Sometimes I'll mutter "stop being a bitch" when she makes birdnests lol. I digress; I should be taking better care of her. I opened up the hatch recently and there was lint everywhere.
>>
>>9112319
Hey I totally have that machine! I love it!
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.