[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

Cosplay Life Hacks.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 20160720_130854.jpg (4MB, 3936x1818px) Image search: [Google]
20160720_130854.jpg
4MB, 3936x1818px
Maybe this was totally obvious to everyone else but I've been hauling out my regular sized vacuum to clean up during sanding/mess making and even running it at 1am in my apartment. I was at Wally World the other day and grabbed this tiny, rechargeable hand vac for $15. It's changed my life. Now I can leave my heavy vacuum in the closet and I don't have to worry about ruining it with foam dust and hot glue clumps. Even better I can clean up all day instead of letting the dirt pile up.

Does anyone else have some cosplay "life hacks", or tools that have made your life significantly easier?
>>
The Simplex sewing guage. I've been sewing for 7 years and only just discovered this. It's perfect for placing buttons, pleats and pintucks. Best part is its less than $20
>>
>>9108377
Simflex sorry, auto correct
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 515x183px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 515x183px
I got a seam ripper like this on clearance, the rubber end picks up all the little thread remnants out of the fabric in a few seconds. A regular eraser might work just as well.
>>
>>9108589
Oh, that sounds potentially helpful, but I don't get how it works. Do you drag the little rubbery thing across where the seam was?
>>
I don't have anything particularly life-changing but tacking tear-away stabilizer to slippery or thin fabrics before sewing pieces together has saved a few cosplays from being ruined. Also, using buckram between layers of petticoats or under heavy fabric makes the skirt keep its shape longer.
>>
>>9108597
Yeah, after ripping out the seam, you just rub the rubber end accross the fabric (same motion as a pencil eraser) and it grabs the little threads and pulls them all out!

Also, on the topic of seam rippers, this method of using one was a game changer for me: https://youtu.be/1z4Zy2fMoG8
>>
>life hacks

'Exhibit A' of why I can't even begin to describe how much I hate this term. Using a tool for its intended purpose is not a life hack. It's a handheld vacuum. They've been around since what, the 70's? It has literally only one purpose: to clean up small messes that you don't need a haul a regular sized vacuum for.

This just reads like "here's a handy life hack: use a bowl instead of a cup to eat your cereal"
>>
>>9108631
To be fair, OP did say, right at the beginning, that it would seem obvious to everyone else.

Besides, the thread doubles for products, like the first post is something really good but I've never heard of it prior.
>>
>>9108629
I've heard/seen that method of seam ripping but the few times I've tried it, I've absolutely torn the fabric to shreds. I have to stick with picking out a few stitches at a time from the top, sadly. Is there some trick to it?
>>
Don't known if this counts but I always get wig headaches so I always take ibuprofen before I start my con day and take a couple more through the day
>>
>>9108589
Seam ripping is the true walk of shame in cosplay. (God forbid you actually have sex, fucking sluts)

I will never forget the time I had to carefully undo over two metres of elastic stitch in spandex. I want to say never again, but I could probably do it again since my fabric got away unharmed.
Patience is the key, but those colorful rippers look really cute. Might keep an eye out for one myself.
>>
haven't had a use for it myself, but weekday pillboxes are very useful for keeping track of cosplay jewelry, either as a "this thing for this cosplay" or as a "this ring for this finger".

Using a thin layer of white body paint beneath your colourful body paint (not sure if it works with waterbased paint, but it does with greasebase) makes it more vibrant, especially if you've darker skin.

There exist pocketsize sewing machines and irons.

If you have absolutely no space or need a cheap and easy backup, IKEA sells sewing machines that are 90% plastic, but work well for the price and can do your basic seams.

IKEA also sell storage boxes that, with some modification to stabilize them, are excellent for transporting heavily styled wigs.

Lush' Ultrablend is expensive, but GREAT for removing makeup residue. Especially for greasebased body paint. Ask your local store for a sample; if it's on the generous side it'll last you a while.

A good, heavy coverage foundation can be mixed out with a primer or beauty oil to make it more sheer.

You can make in-a-pinch molds of your ears (and probably nose, fingers, teeth) using play-doh and hot glue.

Rawtherapee is a freeware editing program that will make your home-taken photos 10x better. Even the mediocre selfies. Edit your photos

If you've a long ass wig in the middle of summer, stick a cooling patch between your shoulderblades, where it's covered by the wig. Also get a chopstick to scratch your scalp with through the wefts.
>>
>>9108631
Why you so salty tho?
>>
File: ftpullthru.jpg (51KB, 450x328px)
ftpullthru.jpg
51KB, 450x328px
The Fast Turn is this set of metal or plastic tubes with metal wires you stick through. They are incredible for turning long tubes of fabric and have saved me hours of heart-ache.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.