[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: things that have stopped happening and conventions pic related

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 20

File: 1024px-Hare_Hare_Yukai_2007.jpg (142KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1024px-Hare_Hare_Yukai_2007.jpg
142KB, 1024x683px
ITT: things that have stopped happening and conventions pic related
>>
>>9100942
I'll tell ya what hasn't stop, bad BO
>>
>>9100942
favoring lottery system over first come, first serve system
>>
I don't know what I'm looking at
>>
>>9100970
It's in the file name.
>>
>>9100962
Is this due to cons becoming more 'cooler' to attend?
>>
>>9100942
Oh God I was in that dance
>>
>>9100985
Evidence. NOW
>>
>>9100987
I dont have any but I was Itsuki. I also danced it in a competition at the Bandai booth I think
>>
The game, Marco Polo and "buttscratcher". Surprisingly I didn't hear any of that bullshit the last two cons I was at.
>>
>>9100971
oh they're doing a flashmob dance for haruhi?
when's the last time you saw a flashmob anyway? flashmobs are pretty much dead
>>
Glomp circles.

I am so glad those are gone, for the most part. I did see one at Sakuracon this year though and it just made me so disappointed in humanity.
>>
>>9100982
its all because people couldn't handle actually being punctual or accept being late had its ramifications, thus this all need to be fair by making it a lottery of fairness.
>>
>>9100942
>ITT: things that have stopped happening and conventions pic related

Fun
>>
yaoi paddles

in fact all yaoi isnt as popular now
>>
>>9101075
now you have to be on time AND lucky
>>
>>9101087
No, yaoi is more popular than ever now. It's just that there's much more pressure in the community not to be retarded than there used to be, so we don't have as many crazy bitches at cons like in the past.
>>
>>9100942
Anyone remember both at cons and online when people use to say rape or "raep" jokingly alot? Man that was stupid and non-sensical
>>
>>9100942
Man part of me is kinda sad that this had stopped. I never was able to make it to any cons during the Haruhi and Lucky Star craze but I had those dances fucking down.
>>
Decent panels, half the time now I end up wondering how much of the presentation is taken straight from a tumblr post.
>>
>>9101273
East Coast cons are guilty of this. The panels either are obscure Tumblrtard shit or X anime and Feminism. None of the panels I went to at Katsu, Otakon, or Dragon Con were any good or interesting.
>>
>>9101300
Took the words right out of my mouth. Coming from the East Coast myself, was thinking of the same when posting.
>>
>>9101303
Not any better in the South
>>
>>9101315
What's down there? I'd figure less SJW bs as they seem to be primarily East and West coast.
>>
>>9101319
in my experience, there might be even more in southern cons. it seems like cons are the only place they gather because of how conservative everywhere else tends to be.
>>
>>9101322
Dude that sucks I'm sorry, like I thought it was bad up here when we started playing SJW bingo with the programs Thursday nights
>>
>>9101322
Yep, pretty much this. I moved here from the East Coast and it's definitely a lot more "How To Deal With Bullying" and "Anxiety and You" panels. I'd love to have more costume based panels.
>>
>>9101087
I don't mind the crazy girl yaoi fans as long as they keep their hands (and paddles) to themselves. There are a few cons that specialize in it now, right? Maybe they go to those.
>>
>>9101300
I thought Dragon Con had an interesting panels. Wasn't there a good Batman panel there?
>>
File: image.png (861KB, 623x756px)
image.png
861KB, 623x756px
>>9101330
>Anime Midwest
> 3 Panels dedicated to being a fat fuck and cosplaying
>2 Panels for Autism and Anime
>1 panel for mental illness and anime
>2 panels for overcoming "negativity"
>Stuck behind "agenders" complaining about heteronormative people in the con during the badge pickup
>Some leftist spergs out on the autist running the hentai Doujin stand because he was wearing a Trump hat
If it wasn't for my experiences at Canadian University, or the autist running the hentai stand with a "Make America Great Again" hat, I'd be far more disappointed.
>>
>>9101087
>yaoi isnt as popular now
it is still popular, but the focus has shifted to western fandoms.

additionally, there are a lot more series out there that have feminine protagonists without heterosexual love interests. LoveLive, Steven Universe, etc. in the olden days of yaoi a lot of the fujos had huge resistance to het romance and yaoi was sort of their outlet, and i think those types of young girls (who get into cute boys falling in love with each other because of a resistance to hetero romance/sexualized women) have new types of fandoms to be part of.

finally, the increased politicization of LGBT issues means yaoi fans are a bit more publicly level-headed. it is much less acceptable to sperg out over teh buttsehcks because now there are, like, actual human beings associated with homosexuality rather than just fetishized characters.
>>
>>9100942
Was this AX 2007 or one of the earlier ones at LBCC?
>>
>>9101087
I hope it's true, i don't like yaoi but if a person likes it without sperging and going like a raging bitch that despise girls, i'm ok with it. I used to be annoyed to see all these rabid yaoi girls, one was a good friend, she was a nice girl but the only thing that i wasn't really into with her was yaoi.
>>
>>9101398
WHY
I prefer yaoi fans/fujoshits and weaboos rather than SJWs.
>>
>>9101087
>Googles it

yeah thank god thats not a thing anymore
>>
>>9101427
According to the photo, Long Beach
>>
>>9101475
....yes. It is Long Beach.

But AX was at LBCC multiple times. Sorry to be snarky, but I very clearly was asking for the year. lol
>>
>>9101013
I'm aware of The Game and Marco Polo, but what the hell is Buttscratcher?
>>
>>9101497
Not a game. People just yelled Buttscratcha from Family Guy like tards.

Also spin the bottle at cons seems to have disappeared as cons got larger and less intimate.
>>
>>9101499
>Spin the bottle
Oh god I remember how back when homestuck was at its peak, in my local con the bottle was replaced with a bucket you had to spit on. It was the vilest shit.
>>
>>9101505
Shit, you just reminded me of that gross video of a group of Homestucks spitting into a bucket at a restaurant.

Also, do people play the Pocky Game anymore? I hope not
>>
>>9101505
>a bucket you had to spit on.

Wait, how the fuck does that work?

Fucking homesucks.
>>
>>9101511
You had to spin a bottle then instead of smooches someone gave you a bucket and you and the target had to spit on it because LULZ REFERENCES TO TROLL SMEX
I ran out of the room like it was on fire.
>>9101508
When I asked for an explanation one crazy bitch said she took inspiration from that video because she thought it was hysterical how people reacted.
I think they were the biggest homestuck group on my city at the time and it was honestly horrible because they always choosed the only mall we had to make their Meets and sperg out.
>>
This amount of Naruto cosplayers in one place. But fandom changes are to be expected.

Was Hometuck or Pokemon or Undertale or Hetalia or Vocaloid ever this big?
>>
File: DSC02699.jpg (3MB, 4518x2250px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02699.jpg
3MB, 4518x2250px
>>9101542
>>
>>9101542
Undertale is not fucking anime why dont they understand that shit. im sick of idiots meeting up at anime conventions in undertale cosplay. go meetup and a tumblr convention or something not even a video game con
>>
>>9101556
It's still a stretch, but the maker of UT has stated that both Yume Nikki and the Mother series were huge influence on its structure. Meaning it is Japanese in nature.
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 704x396px
>>9101542
>Was Hometuck or Pokemon or Undertale or Hetalia or Vocaloid ever this big?
Seriously anon? Of course those are huge and still get decent representation at cons
>>
>>9101546
Why is everyone so fucking ugly!?
I mean, I know I'm not a fucking price either but damn at least I look myself into the mirror and reconsider my options.
Ugh.
>>
>>9100942
Memes that come and go. Iirc the Caramel dancing was also something that went away.
>>
File: 1467489778301.png (2MB, 1053x1070px)
1467489778301.png
2MB, 1053x1070px
>>9101563
the fuck, anon? It's only japanese if it comes from Japan.
>>
>>9101577
So you're saying it can't count for cons even if it's Japanese inspired?
>>
>>9101508
I remember making the mistake of watching that video. I only got about 30 seconds in before I had to close it, started dry heaving.
>>
>>9101564>
Well op didnt specify anime conventions. I don't go to many cons outside of AX.

>>9101556
As far as personal opinions go, if I dont care for the series in general I ignore it. Regardless of genre if they have fun let them, just don't behave badly.
>>
>>9101583
As undertale is japanese inspired, I can see people wearing it to anime and vidya cons just fine.
But "japanese inspired" doesn't mean that it is japanese, even heavily inspired things. Only stuff made in japan or by japanese people is japanese.
>>
>>9101398
West Coast we're filled with tons of horrible character QA panels
>>
>>9101577
It's not that big of a deal. People cosplay from comics, movies, cartoons. I know it's an "anime" con but people can have varied interests
>>
>>9101563
Damn anon, that reaching almost dislodged my shoulder.
>>
File: ancientrelic.jpg (23KB, 200x260px)
ancientrelic.jpg
23KB, 200x260px
>>9100942
>>
>>9101491
the picture filename says 2007 you retard
>>
>>9101024
It's at Sakura-con every year
>>
>>9101733
>You can find some of these buried outside of big conventions
>>
>>9101411
I gotta say this opened my eyes so much to why I have an inclination to gay (yaoi) pairings in anime, drama fandoms etc. rather than the Herero couples- I had never really thought i might be enjoying it because it isn't automatically hetero / sexualizing women (which turns me off immediately from something)

^ but I have to say that LoveLive is exactly sexualizing female characters, but just in a soft-core, male-gaze, lesbian-harem sort of way. All of the cards and promo art have a distinct "Japanese anime pervert" feel to them and I can't understand why non-LGBT girls are into it. It's just fan service for pervy men (aka the entire Japanese fandom) and western lesbians. It makes me uncomfortable and automatically turns me off the way I mentioned above^
>>
>>9101447
same. I'd rather see glomp piles, yaoi paddles, and shitty naruto cosplay than sjws, fat crossdressing teens with undercuts, and crazy people calling "xierselves" autistic
>>
>>9101800
Girls like the costumes and dances or so I've been told
>>
>mfw i had that shitty mikurun maid outfit
>>
File: 1378590118566.jpg (19KB, 475x360px) Image search: [Google]
1378590118566.jpg
19KB, 475x360px
>>9101546
>sudowoodoo
>>
>>9101571

That's before cons got filled with normies.
>>
>>9101800
Cute girls cute costumes cute music and dances
>>
The Game (glad this is done)

Photographers that take pictures of everyone.

Having to look for your pictures for days and hours through hundreds of photobucket galleries. Only got your one photo from Kevin Lillard.

People stopping to talk to you about the series you are cosplaying and genuinely interested.

Meeting new friends who are fans of a series.

Cosplay skits that weren't just dancing. When people put a lot of time and work into their skits and seriously competed with them.

When normies had no fucking clue what was going on in town and utterly bewildered. Now old ladies be like, "Oh is this comic con?"

>>9101571
Welcome to the days before cons were cool, facebook cosplay pages, cosplay music videos, contouring (or otherwise smearing dirt on your face) and photoshoots up the wazoo. Candids like this were common and everyone was a huge nerd with limited makeup ability unless you were Yaya Han.

That said, 10 years from now, we'll wish we had SJWs with undercuts and autistic panels, because some other annoying thing will be present.
>>
File: 1459306747319.jpg (68KB, 600x600px)
1459306747319.jpg
68KB, 600x600px
>>9101013
>mfw my friend still does the buttscratcher thing
it's 2016 please stop this
>>
Didn't see a single Vash or Alucard at AX this year. These are dark times.
>>
File: out of touch.jpg (40KB, 500x534px) Image search: [Google]
out of touch.jpg
40KB, 500x534px
>>9101800
>can't understand why non-LGBT girls are into it
Love live has the largest female following of all the idol shows. Maybe they don't see a male-less harem. Maybe they enjoy dancing for an audience and wearing cute clothes. Maybe they like the idea of doing idol performance as a group of friends without an older male producer or manager watching over them. You know, without a male gaze.

Maybe most women don't feel the characters are sexualized. Maybe most women don't see tin foil hat sexism creeping around every corner of their lives. No, that wouldn't make sense. You're the sensible one. The huge fanbase must be wrong or blind or hate their own gender when they spend dozens of hours recreating costumes and practicing dances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKZKR02cpIE
>>
Props made of anything but plastic and cardboard at NY Comic Con
;_;
>>
>>9101908
>hundreds of Photobucket galleries
I miss this, mostly because everybody posts them on Facebook now and the galleries eventually get lost over time for one reason or another.
>>
>>9100982
People couldn't handle being rejected because their art sucks.
>>
>>9101908
>Cosplay skits that weren't just dancing. When people put a lot of time and work into their skits and seriously competed with them.

Bullshit. Cosplay skits back then were pretty bad with dancing, in-jokes and bullshit crossovers. At least now the production values increased where you have video/scrolling backgrounds and quick changes.
>>
>>9101916
I haven't seen a Vash in ages but there's always at least one shitty Alucard at every con I go to
>>
>>9102193
On the bright side, people are always tagging me, so I don't have to really look. But they do get lost over time. There used to be forum posts where the OP would list all the galleries.

Also, getting excited for the con and posting on Coscom with everyone else and making plans, talking about your lineups, and there were so many others posting.

After a few years, everyone knew my name and I'd made so many friends and aquiantances. I still meet people and make friends but it's not how it used to be. I sort of feel like a stranger lost in the crowd now.
>>
>>9102283
Perhaps... But if you were a cosplay judge and had to sit through one more fucking Real Emotion or Hare Hare Yukai skit, you'd probably want to gouge your eyes out with your Princess Peach Nintendo DS stylus while reading everyone else's comments in the audience too.
>>
>>9100942
Buying cardboard disposable film cameras when your main one runs out of battery or film. Digital was expensive and questionable quality in 2005!
>>
>>9101087

Have you seen the anime coming out of Japan now? Fujoshis are finally a marketable demographic. Whether it's real yaoi or fake yaoi trumped up as a few suggestive scenes in a sports show, fangirls have finally gotten a seat at the table.

>>9101411

Not necessarily. Fujoshi are a diverse community and while some may dabble into the Western fandoms, there are plenty of us that stick to yaoi (and don't enjoy het or yuri romance at all). What we have seen are the overall diversification of interests, which yes, do include slash and now bara, too. Fandom and LGBT issues going mainstream has also helped, and a lot of us have matured.

You'll still find the rabid yaoi fangirl type, but those of us who started attending cons when that was more of a problem have largely grown up and out of that weeb phase. I'm more of a fujoshi now than I was at 16, in all honesty. My social circle also reinforces this mature fujoshi mindset.
>>
>>9103410
>Mature fujoshi
Wouldn't of thought that was possible but I've recently had a "relapse" with yaoi. I feel like my middle school self again, just less idiotic
>>
>>9103410
>>9103429
>mature fujoshi
Pretty much this. I'm reading even more yaoi than I have before, old stuff, new stuff, soft stuff, hard stuff. I just don't sperg about it to everyone within hearing distant anymore. I've definitely mellowed a lot, but I don't indulge in yaoi any less.
>>
I don't see as many cardboard signs asking for hugs and what-not nowadays. Yaoi paddles, yeah, been a long time since I saw those as well. A change for the better.

>>9100989
I was in that competition too, haha.
>>
>>9102091
LoveLive is targeted at men in Japan, you ignorant fuck.
>>
>>9101087
My 14 year old sister mentioned that there are still 2007 style fujoshit weebs left.
>>
>>9102467
These skits and Yaoi Kingdom Hearts skits...

Also didn't see mentioned yet:
>Para Para dancing in the hallway for hours

Kind of glad that's gone, major hallway blocking issues
>>
>>9101738

Personally I'm more appalled that they thought Haruhi existed in 2003 or earlier
>>
>>9103483
What was your group name?
>>
>>9103495
that's right up there with precure being a kids show with a secondary target of men
>>
>>9103495
The question wasn't who it's targeted at, it was why it appeals to a certain audience.
>>
>>9103556
Minna no Nur-Puppy
>>
>>9103521

Yes, because they're also 14. The only over-18 weeb fujoshi I know have autism or some other mental/emotional problems. It's no different than older anime fans who are still huge otaku, but know how to hide the powerlevels. Some still don't, and they're not the most mature people even if you take away the anime factor.
>>
VK cosplay and general J-Pop fanstuff.

K-Pop is a loooot more commercial even to westeners; I see a lot of otherwise normie youth attnding cons to be part of dance troupes or whatever.
>>
>>9101013
heard them both at AX
>>
>>9103410
>>9103461
Third anon here but I've been a fujoshit since middle school and the "Matt and Tai from Digimon are totes gay even to my naive pre-teen self" days.

I used to be really obnoxious about it but I've never once stepped away from it even though it gets some eyebrows raised when I say I'm a lesbian. Given the choice between all this free man on man fanfiction that I can click out of if I don't like or dropping money on hetero books I'm not interested in or even the very rare non "This is definitely written for men to get off to in the way 50 Shades was written for bored housewives" lesbian romance, I'd sooner go for the very abundant gay fics and books.

Same goes for anime since I can tolerate fujo-bait series like Tiger & Bunny or Free! better than I can with super cutesy moe girls being close.

I'd love for the day to come where we have more Sailor Uranus x Neptune style ships where it's just there and not forced and they're not painfully cutesy girls and instead basically grown mature adults.
>>
>>9103939
Damn I miss VK/Jrock cosplay groups. There was always that dozen or so rocking the pleather and nosebands for the GazettE no matter the heat.
>>
The massive groups of people with 'free hugs' signs camping out and yelling at everyone passing by.

Maybe it's just my local cons but there used to be dozens of spergs trying to hug everyone in the convention, enough to have a designated free hugs area. Now it's only a few lonely dudes and furries wearing the signs.
>>
>>9101800
I'm lesbian and I don't like love live or any crap like that.
The outfits are really cute though, I would wear them myself (lipstick lesbian here)
>>
>>9101024
Really? I see glomp circles at every con.
>>
>>9103483
>>9104406
Some cons don't allow you to carry signs that say "free hugs" because it makes it seem like you're offering a product.
>>
>>9103394
I still have a giant box full of disposable camera photos from my first 5 conventions. Then in 2005, I finally got a digital camera. 4.0 megapixels and everything was blurry.
>>
>>9105508
Post pics!
>>
>>9103495
Are you the same fag who keeps shitting up idol-related threads with this same argument? Yeah, we get it, idols are nothing but overexposed disgusting jailbait for men. What else is new? Let me enjoy my LL and AKB in peace.
>>
File: 1441252997162.png (271KB, 324x360px) Image search: [Google]
1441252997162.png
271KB, 324x360px
>>9101546
>"penis" baner
>>
>>9103394
>when your main one runs out of battery
I used to have a plastic sandwich bag filled with batteries at conventions because my camera would die so quickly.

>>9104150
>fujo-bait series like Tiger & Bunny
T&B wasn't fujobait, it was omnipandering like many of Sunrise's other anime series.
>>
>>9101427
It's definitely '07, because Haruhi only came out in '04 or '05 and the last year at LBCC before that was '02.

>>9101847
>>9101903
I know a lot of girls that are into LL (and IM@S) cosplay, and from what I've seen it's not really that they're into the show, it's more that it's a really good opportunity to make elaborate and cute costumes and get up on stage. I've noticed in particular that idol shows are particularly big with Masquerade types, probably because they sort of give groups a premade thing to do and remove the need to write and perform an actual skit, record dialog, etc.

>>9101908
>People stopping to talk to you about the series you are cosplaying and genuinely interested.
>Meeting new friends who are fans of a series.

I really miss these. You used to be able to talk to people at cons, now it's as weird as approaching a random person on the street. Part of it is that cons are cliquey now, but I blame a lot of it on the 1% of creeper weirdos who've ruined everything for the 99% of people who are normal and just want to socialize with people who share their interests.
>>
>First con ever
>Otakon 2006
>Couple guys start doing the Numa Numa dance
>Eventually the whole hall is doing it
>My nerdy teenage anon self suddenly feels so at home

Well fuck me sideways a video actually exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n3zL3SdnR0
>>
>>9107341
Part of me really misses the old weeb days. Like, I can just imagine how much my damn middle school self would've loved this
>>
>>9107341
Goddamn I just miss when anime conventions were about anime. I don't hate the popular western stuff but I don't like how the fandoms ignore all anime that isn't Ouran High or AoT. It feels much more segmented now than ever before.
>>
Man, this thread is making me hella nostalgic. Did the math, and I've been to 23 conventions over the last eight-ish years. As conventions become bigger and more public affairs, that small community feeling has definitely fallen away a bit. I used to go to every convention solo - didn't have the fandom friends to go with - and I could always make friends just walking around and cosplaying, striking up conversation in lines, at photoshoots, after panels. I don't know if it's because I'm older so it's weird now, or if the culture of conventions has just changed that much.
>>
>>9101800
Maybe some people like the music from idol series? There are a bunch of sexualized male idol groups now too and while I'm not interested in the games or drama CDs that are made for them the music is excellent to listen to while working out.
>>
>>9102091
>Not sexualizing characters
What about Nozomi grabbing the other member's breasts? Wouldn't that be sexualization?
>>
>>9101908
>Photographers that take pictures of everyone
We still have one of these in my national scene and god bless the guy. There's something really comforting about knowing if you miss a con you can still see every cosplayer who went or knowing that your obscure manga cosplay nobody recognizes will be photographed by him.
>>
File: ohayo02_10.jpg (44KB, 390x270px)
ohayo02_10.jpg
44KB, 390x270px
>>9105535
I've posted these in other old timey cosplay threads in the past, so it's nothing new but I'll dump a few choice ones. Here's Yaya.
>>
File: ohayo02_40.jpg (44KB, 403x263px) Image search: [Google]
ohayo02_40.jpg
44KB, 403x263px
>>9107634
>>9107634
Saber Marionette J group.

This would be in the bad cosplay thread by today's standards, but seriously most everyone's cosplays looked like this because nobody knew wtf they were doing. I really miss those days. Everyone was so much more chill.
>>
File: fftactics_saturday.jpg (60KB, 690x435px) Image search: [Google]
fftactics_saturday.jpg
60KB, 690x435px
>>9107639
Here's a group with Ginny.

We were all sort of figuring out and learning how to do the cosplay thing together.

Also another thing you don't see is everyone in halloween costume wigs. At one point (like this era) that was all you could find if you wanted a weird hair color!
>>
File: hojo_jenova_sephy.jpg (67KB, 522x538px) Image search: [Google]
hojo_jenova_sephy.jpg
67KB, 522x538px
Here's some Otakon 02. You don't even know how nostalgic I'm going to be in a few weeks when I go, knowing it will never be the same ever again.
>>
>>9101738
>>9107318
Um, the photo is of the Long Beach Convention Center though? You can clearly see the words Long Beach on the marquee above the doors if you look at the photo close enough.
>>
>>9109351
2007 was at Long Beach. It was a one year thing, between Anaheim and LACC, and it was an absolute clusterfuck in just about every way. (So bad, in fact, that pretty much the entire staff of AX quit or was fired after it, and the current staff call it "the con that never happened.")
>>
>>9107372
You need to practice discretion more and pick and choose your battles. There are a lot of groups that go to cons and just stay within themselves and are unconcerned with meeting new people but that can't stop you from making new friends
>>
>>9101908
>Photographers that take pictures of everyone.
>People stopping to talk to you about the series you are cosplaying and genuinely interested.

I still do all three of these.
>>
>>9101916
I saw them clear as day in the exhibition hall on day 1 :'/
>>
Every time a nostalgia like thread comes, I have to post this in case people haven't seen it.

Early 2000 California convention photos. http://www.usagichan2.com/
>>
>>9102091
>>not the male gaze
I can tell you don't play the game you cunty assface.
>>
>>9107639
>>9107643
>>9107645
I love old photos like this. Cons really were this much smaller, more niche events. I'm glad that more people are getting into the hobby (because that means so much more options available to cosplayers now that companies see it as a profitable market) but it's kind of bittersweet knowing that these days are over for good
>>
>>9101087
imho i feel like yuri has become the new yaoi
>>
>>9101556
>people being this buttblasted at people cosplaying non-anime things at an anime con

A U T I S M
>>
>>9102091
you're an idiot if you don't think Love Live is primarily targeted at otaku men.
>>
>>9101300
>helping with a small con that's seeking to get bigger
>president wants to intro panels run by the public
>get assigned as coordinator
>seriously hope we don't get those sorts of panel submissions

I'm mostly worried about how to reject those sorts of panels without accidentally causing chaos in case we do get them.
>>
>>9102283
Cosplay comps used to have those weird skits where the music would swap to some other meme-worthy thing every ten seconds. I remember people complaining on here about them getting old.

And now when you watch Britain/America's Got Talent that's basically what every dance skit is now.
>>
>>9107318
I'm a girl into LL and all my female friends into it, myself included, have watched both anime and played the game religiously. I stopped myself but many of my friends play every event and are super high ranked. We've also all watched live footage and even had a party to watch the second and third lives and TV segments. Same goes for idolm@ster, I don't really know any casual female fans personally. I would have to disagree with you.
>>
>>9101733
I still have one of these because I'm a disgusting fuck. Haven't they been banned at most cons along with glomping and pedobear?
>>
>>9107318
I hate that it's so difficult to converse with people at conventions now. Even when you're in cosplay and people take pictures they're all too shy to stick around.
>>
>>9107318
>>9110867

I have a theory about this. A lot of the people in this thread who are getting nostalgic have been going to cons for years. That probably means they have a well-established group of con friends, and (most likely) the majority of people their age will have groups like that as well. That makes it harder to make new friends as everyone in their mid-late 20's already has a group.

When I went to my first con in 2004, I didn't know anybody and went alone. The friends I made there became the friends I went to conventions with nearly every year since. It's quite likely that today's con babies are having the same experience and are having an easier time making friends.
>>
>>9110651
At least there's people like you who actually care to screen those. Just say it's not what you're looking for.
>>
>>9110857
oh god pedobear. I almost forgot about that
>>
>>9110857
was PB banned? i haven't been to a con in about 6 years.
>>
>>9110857
The paddle I'm 99% sure got banned a few years ago at one con I go to. Pedobear may have just died out.
>>
>>9110644
3 years back this was the usual mentality on /cgl/ though.
Times have changed I guess.
>>
>>9101556
It makes comic conventions a haven in subject of cosplay.
>>
>>9112057
I can't imagine something as iconically cringe as PB going away without good reason, but maybe you're right.
>>
>>9110661
The worst part was when this happened at small ass cons where there's little screening or judges who want to say anything bad and you have to sit through a 12 minute Weird Al Polka which goes 4 times over the time limit. And it's just an Agito and Kagome dicking around on stage.

Then there were all the Hare Hare Yukai skits which eventually led to every masq having at least one skit called "Another Hare Hare Yukai" or "Oh No Not Another Hare Hare Yukai~!"
>>
>>9107430
I haven't seen the series, but sometimes it's normal to touch each other's breasts in some friend circles without it being sexual. It just depends on how close you are with these people and whether or not they mind the contact. To a man who thinks with his penis it might be, but otherwise it's not inherently a sexual thing.
>>
>>9112122
>sometimes it's normal to touch each other's breasts in some friend circles without it being sexual
Sorry, but this isn't normal despite what anime tells you
>>
>>9112190
My friends do it as a joke, it's not that serious.
>>
>>9112190
>>9112207
>My friends do it as a joke, it's not that serious
This, I'm anon you're replying to, and it all depends on your friends. I have two friend groups and one it's 100% okay and we do it while we're messing around. The other, it's a little iffy in most circumstances, but it still happens when it's appropriate. It's all light-hearted fun and while it might be a no-no with you and your friends, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
>>
>>9112212
I didn't say it doesn't happen, I said it's not common/normal
>>
>>9112217
My original point was that it does happen, though and that it's not a sexual thing, even if it does happen in animu.
>>
>>9100942
>>9101576
Are there any dances at all these days? All I see are the cha cha slide and dance circles, and occasionally a conga line.
>>
>>9112057
It's just old memes being replaced.
There was a Dat Boi at Metrocon just yesterday
>>
File: kumoriconpedobear.png (326KB, 606x784px) Image search: [Google]
kumoriconpedobear.png
326KB, 606x784px
>>9112057
I know for a fact PB was specifically banned at west coast conventions. Most large cons added the rule around 2012/2013. The rule was probably phased out as it became unnecessary.
>>
>>9112089
>Weird Al Polka
How dare anyone ruin this musical masterpiece.
>>
>>9114940
God damn, I was in the forums for that con when that ban firs started way back in like... 09? Old old days.
>>
>>9107634
>>9107639
>>9107643
>>9107645
Bro these are great. Would you mind if I saved these for a history of cosplay panel I'm working on?
>>
>>9115429
Sure go ahead! If you want more, I have more! I also have some resources if you'd like. I did a similar panel myself. Adding my email so you can contact me.
>>
>>9110877
This is somewhat true for me. But also, keep in mind I'm a girl, and somehow being a girl might make people more comfortable around me. I imagine it would be different if I were male.

I have the same established group of con friends since at least 2004. I have a few others from before that time, but that's sort of when I met my main group.

Then I have friends from conventions I staff in other states, made those friends from running departments and just getting to know people around there. My staff knew people and then I met more people through them.

I left cosplay for lolita, and then came the lolita crowd, newer group of friends from my comm and other states from different conventions.

Meeting more people through staff at cons, vendors, other staffers, friends of those staffers, etc.

Made other connections online over fandoms like back in the day, and more friends. Talk about fandoms at cons, and more friends.

So really my personal circle keeps expanding. I normally know at least a few people at every con. I don't really feel it's necessary to really meet others at this point because it happens and people just kinda know me.

But I'm also pretty introverted and I can enjoy a con by myself, but that never really happens.
>>
>>9114940
But Pedobear was a character that existed before he got that title. What's Pedobears actual name?
>>
File: 18lrmpz5mfvk4jpg.jpg (180KB, 750x1071px) Image search: [Google]
18lrmpz5mfvk4jpg.jpg
180KB, 750x1071px
>>9115540
Thanks I sent you an email, but if you want to post more please do.

I love old photos. I mean I miss the old days of cosplay and cons, but at the same time I am so happy getting ahold of supplies is so much easier.
>>
>>9101447
no one gives a shit what you prefer, you pathetic neckbeard eternal virgin
>>
>>9103495
who cares you shitfaced fuck
>>
File: 1465651525125.jpg (50KB, 575x409px) Image search: [Google]
1465651525125.jpg
50KB, 575x409px
>>9115621
>>9115623
Trying this hard to fit in.
>>
Conventions really have normalized recently. Probably due to the massive influx of normal people attending them. So many of the people I chat with are just locals who come for a day. It's unfortunate, even though older cons were more weird and cringey, they were far more interesting.
>>
>>9115621
>>9115623
sweet summer child, you must be 18+ to post here
>>
>>9110651
>Step one: Have panel submissions done online by Google form
>Step two: only aprove the panels that aren't bad.
>>
>>9104416
Pics or gtfo
>>
>>9115423
IM SEEING HIM SATURDAY!!
>>
>>9115558
Kuma-san. It was an ascii art character from 2channel. IIRC, his shtick was chasing after cute girls in general, not underage. 4chan turned it into pedobear.
>>
>>9110661
FACTS had like ten acts last september with guys doing that. Starts of with serious music that fits the outfit and then a DJ scratch followed by songs like Barbie Girl. I though it was sad when the second guy doing that did it right after the first but almost all male acts had this set-up. For Starlord it was somewhat in character but for most it was just a random video game character cosplay. It sucked because a lot of them were good cosplays just with terrible skits.
>>
>>9119945
Bless, anon. Hope you have fun!
>>
>>9110661
Holy shit, I never even noticed that last part. One of the BGT finalists this year was a group of stormtroopers dancing to memey songs and they were Simon Cowell's favourite act and a huge favourite to win. Now you've mentioned that I can't help but see them as a 2010 convention skit.
>>
>>9101079
But that part hasn't changed at all, anon! You just got bitter and hateful as you got older!
>>
>>9101087
>yaoi paddles
>tfw someone tried taking my shins out with one of those by wildly swinging it in front of me
>>
>>9103495
Ha I wish all the girls here in the US would understand that. I hate LL
>>
>>9114940
Are Spurdos aggsebdable :DD:D?
>>
Older cons were a bit more interesting, but I like that it's not quite as "internetty" as before.

Then again, I did go to a random panel at one and it was just some guy bitching about "sjws" without any hint of irony or humor. That might be the most embarrassing or "cringey" thing I've ever seen at any event I've been to.
>>
People taking hall shots are at an all time low. I swear that is what makes meeting people at cons so hard now. You can't approach someone and ask for a photo an chat them up about a series like you used to.
People only want a photoshoot and don't want to waste their time if you're not a photographer about to worship them for being "so original".

It's just not as personable.
>>
>>9123802
We all just got tired of getting 200 hall shots every con and maybe finding 3 albums we actually end up in online. Some sites even make it easier to find and tag your sets by series, character and con to find yourself but then someone has to go through that effort.

Though that really shouldn't stop you from going up to someone unless you're an awkward fuck.
>>
>>9104406
I can't think of a picture than encapsulates 2005-2008 cons as well as this. Probably a little later judging by the Nice in the background.
>>
>>9104150
How do you feel about Homura x Madoka? Interested because one of my lesbian friends is super into them, but it's not like they have a normal life, relatable relationship.
>>
>>9103429
>I feel like my middle school self again, just less idiotic
I'm so glad I was a closeted kid who didn't really "get" porn, let alone yaoi, until late highschool. I can only imagine what kind of insufferable splerg I would have been. It was already bad enough when Naruto headbands became a thing.
>>
>>9123802
This, it's sadly all about efame.
>>
>>9123802
What? I take pictures of people all the time and they're always super excited. Don't know what cons you go to
>>
>>9100946
Con stank is inevitable like death and taxes.
>>
>>9103555
The first light novel was released in 2003.
>>
>>9122242
Just because it's aimed at men doesn't mean that girls can't enjoy it.
>>
File: 1457838437890.png (217KB, 378x408px)
1457838437890.png
217KB, 378x408px
>>9125542
It's become such a familiar smell at this point.

Kill me.
>>
>>9101908
I'm afraid to talk to people about the series they're cosplaying from because I don't want people to think I'm grilling them on if theyre a "fake fan" or whatever.
>>
>>9125540
East Coast. This place is horrible. Please help.
>>
>discussing masquerade entries and drawing dicks in pictochat
>linking pokewalkers
>>
>>9128157
>pictochat
I miss that shit so much
Thread posts: 192
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.