[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hoshicon 2016?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 2

So this is in a few days and I'm only a 3 hour drive away.

Is it good? From what I've seen it looks like your typical small teenybopper convention.
>>
I only been to Hoshicon once (last year) And there was nothing memorable about it. If you have to drive 3 hours, I don't suggest at all. I am going mainly to mess around in Charlotte, probably going to buy a badge on Sunday.
>>
>>9097185
Do you think it's comparable to Ichibancon? I went there this year and wasn't too impressed, only stayed for a few hours on Saturday.
>>
I really enjoy the con every year. It is at the very LEAST, better than Ichi. But I'm also someone who does panels for Hoshi so that's like being the CEO of McDonalds and saying the food is great,
>>
Going because friends and patrick seitz
>>
I heard the head con chair is a cunt but other than that yes OP it is your typical teenager convention
>>
I'm planning on going just to waste money
>>
Hoshicon's con head is super sketchy and has actively tried to sabotage, discredit, and spread lies about other regional cons that she views as "competition".
Bitch is way crazy and has even tried stealing money from the con in the past for herself.
>>
I know people from ages 16-30 that have gone and maybe like 25% of them said it was worth the drive/money... Good luck, anon.
>>
>>9097983
*was NOT.
My bad.
>>
>>9097977
Whaaaaat? I smell drama. Got more deets?
>>
>>9097983
I'm selling in the AA. Just hoping to break even desu
>>
yep, pretty much. I've been to Ichiban twice. They're pretty much the same. Just different times of the year.
>>
Hoshi staff seagull popping in. We're pretty similar in size to Ichi now give or take a few hundred.

Our turn out last year far exceeded our expectations so we were definitely cramped in there (to say the least). Luckily, we've got twice the space and we're ready for anything.

I'd say to come on down but I'm biased of course. If anything, the new venue is right in downtown Charlotte so you can always head on down to stuff like the Mint Museum or Epicentre if you're not feeling the con. There's also lots of great restaurants within a short walk or drive.

>>9097977
Lol ok sure vendetta-chan
>>
Lol it was so easy to sneak in without badges last year. Me and my friends all went in without paying and were never stopped.
Sucked though, so we left after a few hours.
>>
>>9098623
LOL "Vendetta-chan" bc I know that Bonnie's crazy af and doesn't need to run an event? Ok, Anon. Keep kissing her chemically-imbalanced asshole.
>>
>>9097977
FUCKING THIS

>>9098623
>vendetta chan

Trust me bitch, bonnie will throw you under the bus too. She doesnt give a shit about her staff, definition of selfish capitalist asshole. Any idea she comes up with is taken from one of her staffers and she takes credit. Also she praises the shittest staffers and brownosers, and flips her shit on the ones trying to make her con better. If she disagrees with you you get fired and shell take all the credit for anybwork you did.

>>9099004
You are amazing, I love you for seeing Bonnie for what she is. I woulda stopped bitching about this ages ago but god damn Bonnie knows how to stir shit. And make a shitter con.

North Carolina is fucking godawful, can we just Nuke ourselves?
>>
>>9099136
the discourse
>>
Prizes for the games & trivia at their "Lolita Tea-party" last year included those postcards you get 5 of for free every time you order something from Haenuli. Lol wut
>>
>>9099136
Lol don't worry about nukes, Gov McCrory will destroy our state beyond repair soon.
>>
>>9099004
You're welcome to have whatever opinion you want on Bonnie but I wouldn't really say she runs the event.

I mean if you think Hoshi's terrible at least give the rest of us some credit for doing a horrible job.

>>9099136
Were you staff or?

Do agree that North Carolina is fucking awful though.

>>9099422
Yeah, everything was so last minute with the tea party last year and it was just thrown on the schedule so had to pull some stuff out of our ass. This year we've got prizes from our fashion guests.

I'm always listening here and always try to take in account of what feedback is here and pass it along to all of our departments. If there's anything we can do better feel free to post it.
>>
Went once and never going again. Its an almost two hours away for me and enless its good I'm not driving that far. It was cramped and they ran out of badges when we got there, but we stayed in the lobby anyways but the staff was up our ass. Plus everyone in charoltte is a dick wad. I don't know why but they are really rude. The only con in Charlotte I can recommend is ichiban. Also triad is in Winston and its the probably the best for me.
>>
>>9099610
Ichiban isn't in charlotte it's in concord and has been for the past two years you fucking dumbass
>>
>>9099626
Calm your salty tits dude, Concord is literally just outside the northeast Charlotte city lines. Ichi's always been in the Charlotte area.
>>
>>9099603
But why the fuck are you here? I remember last year a gull got fired for identifying as staff on cgl. And the con head said she hates cgl and thinks it's all scum. Won't you get fired?
>>
Last year, they did not run out of badges. They had to cut off because they fucking reached fire code capacity for the convention area. Not much could be done abt that.
>>
Hoshicon = NOshicon
>>
>>9100160
They could've had a bigger venue instead of staying at the one they were at the year before. Did they really not expect to grow?
>>
Hoshicon is ass.

I don't know why people pay for that shitfest of an unorganized con. I went last year, and it was the worst fucking experience ever.
>>
Id like to go, if not to explore the Charlotte area more. But Im out of the Carolinas right now, will be returning soon.

At least we'll have Soda City Comicon, r-r-right guys?
>>
>>9100325
A lot of cons get locked in to a contract at a venue, so maybe thats why?
>>
Anyone here?
>>
File: lolno.jpg (31KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
lolno.jpg
31KB, 400x399px
>>9102823
>>
Con sucks, crap programming. Parking is expensive, too many kids. At least there is a pool and gym to burn time in.

Hopefully some drama occurs to make the weekend interesting.
>>
>>9102970
>Hopefully some drama occurs

That's what I'm waiting for. With Bonnie, it's only a matter of time. :^)
>>
Overheard in the game room "we don't have smash 4 because it is too popular. Wouldn't you want to dedicate some resources there to make people happy?
>>
>>9103303
Wew lad, glad I didn't bother going to this.
>>
>>9097977
HI Katie
>>
>>9103356
Who's Katie?
Several people know Bonnie & Hoshicon's crazy past.
>>
>>9103303
>we don't have smash 4 because it is too popular

The fuck? That's the exact reason why you WOULD have a particular game in a game room.
>>
LOL ichibancon and Hoshicon are NOT the same size. Ichibancon hit 6 or 7000 this year while Hoshicons cap was 3000 last year.
>>
Is anyone going to the lolita tea party on sunday?
>>
>>9104060
Nope. Don't think it'll be worth it... I'll save my money for a better, brand-sponsored tea party at another con...
>>
Anyone see any Guilty Gear cosplay?
>>
>>9096593
>LOL ichibancon and Hoshicon are NOT the same size.

I would say this Hoshi feels smaller. Maybe it is the more spread out venue but it still feels dead.
>>
Suck con is suck.
>>
Goddamn fucking put in Melee ate fucking GODDAMN on a LAGGY ASS television and then All these SCRUBS who think they good won't get off their damn controller after MULTIPLE matches

bruh you ain't good cause you waving and dancing your dashes I fucking bodied you with the one two off stage punish lmaoooooo
>>
>>9104283
Are you ok?
>>
I wanted to go but blew most of my money at Animazement. I guess wasn't missing anything.
>>
Went yesterday. Con was very so-so...
>>
Will someone let us know how the "tea party" went?
>>
Who has a review this Con was worthless. If you didn't attend you have nothing to worry about. There were far too many kids and their attempt at a 21 plus social was a fail. Also this venue was poorly laid out, the rooms were not much bigger than past Hoshicons. And while there may have been more overall space it disjointed the con and flowed poorly.

I think many people decided to play PoGo instead because this con was so worthless.
>>
>>9105114
It was apparently Alice in Wonderland themed which is like "wow how long did it take you to come up with that one"

>>9105183
Bro your comment is as disjointed as the con
>>
>>9100017
That's not what happened. The con head knows I browse /cgl/ and has known for a long time.

>>9100240
We prefer Hoe-shi con.

>>9102534
Right on the ball, anon. That's exactly what happened.

>>9102970
Park at the light rail station or at the Green next time. Light rail station is free (can't be there more than 24 hours though) and Green is $5 from what I remember. Parking in downtown Charlotte is ridiculously expensive unfortunately and especially so near the convention center where Hoshi was situated.

>>9105114
It was relatively quiet with a lot of newbies but I'd say it went relatively smoothly. Some people don't really like their tea parties to be filled with an influx of newbies but I think a lot of them are genuinely willing to learn about the fashion. I think we had a fairly good crowd. Wish we could have gotten Amelie's catering though.

>>9105253
The theme was picked to coincide with one of the designer's new line which was Alice in Wonderland themed. She ran the idea by us and we asked our other fashion guest and we all decided it would be a good idea to have the theme around that. It was kind of hard to work with the convention which was sports so we went with that.

Sorry for replying to so much in this long ass post but I wanted to provide some transparency for everything. I'll provide my personal opinion on everything in a little bit for you all.
>>
>>9098623
Give or take a few THOUSAND LOL. Hoshi is half the size.
>>
Still a con newbie, but I've been to a few Texas cons (just moved here from Texas and have been to Akon three times, Ikki-con once, and A-fest once) and Hoshicon was very underwhelming. My fiance and I were willing to get a Saturday day pass, but at $30, it just didn't seem worth it. Shoot, the Saturday night Pokemon Go meet up seemed way better then Hoshicon and was free too!

Someone please tell me that Animazement doesn't suck.
>>
>>9105411
Animazement is much much larger and better run. No comparison really
>>
>>9105183
Do you have any constructive criticism about the mixer? I know the room was less than ideal. Would just like to hear some other thoughts.
>>
so does anyone know if they even hit 3000 this year? all things considered the con part of the venue wasn't THAT much bigger than last yearbut it felt like there was nobody there
did they spend all the money on the venue or what. it really didn't feel that much bigger in terms of space at all and con-related shit was godawful.
>>
>>9105395
I may be off but I remember last year mentioning that we weren't too far in terms of growth. Don't think Ichi is quite at 7,000 like an anon mentioned earlier because that would put their numbers close to AZ which would absolutely astonish me. I'm just going off what people have told me so I could be wrong. I haven't been to Ichi since they were over the Sheraton unfortunately.

>>9106405
I don't have official numbers from reg but I think so. I mean technically the venue square footage wise was double the size but that was mostly in the main events and marketplace area I believe. We'll have more space next year but rest assured, I can tell you that we did not blow all our money on venue. Any suggestions for anything you'd like to see next year? I can't guarantee anything but we always take stuff in consideration.
>>
One of the Hoshi staff anons here. As promised some of my personal thoughts.

The venue was great. The staff at the hotel were all super nice and accommodating. The construction near the Westin was not something I was aware we'd be dealing with and was a pain in the ass. It'll likely be done next year as will the Whole Foods across the street. It was super nice to be in proximity to a ton of great restaurants even though my chance to walk around was limited. I hope that everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did.

There were a lot of teenagers. I have no idea how Charlotte has so many teenage weebs. There were never that many teenage weebs when I was a teenage weeb myself. Handling them all AND their parents is a bit like herding cats sometimes. We're trying to attract a more mature crowd but it becomes difficult with such a heavy presence of teenagers. Most of them did disperse later at night from what I saw. (And our pool was not clogged with body paint nor did I see any smeared over places it should not be. Thank god.)

I think we're in a good place. I think it'll be interesting to see how grow next year.
>>
>>9106586

for the love of god have more panels!

and don't throw the rave only one night, that was a load of BS. the way everything was set up was nice but there was just so little to do. bottom line it just... didn't even feel like a con. like i really doubt they broke that attendance this year and as mentioned before the teenagers but it was just... a total waste of money for me.

also yeaaaah NC. please destroy us
>>
>>9106678
>>9106678
>for the love of god have more panels!
Yes, dear lord all of the panels were extremely uninteresting.
Too many yelling and screaming kids was way annoying.

Also you guys really need to work on making it clear where you go to register/get your badge, asking a few staffers after not seeing any signs they couldn't even give clear instructions. I had several different groups of people ask me even where the heck to go.

Also I'm not sure if this is really in your control but the lighting in the marketplace was really shoddy.
>>
>>9106678
>>9106738
Gotcha, gotcha. Any panels in particular you're interested in? We had a no ask panels policy because very few people find them enjoyable but some people did complain that there were none. (Although it looks like some did slip through. Not sure how...) We should have more rooms next year so we'll have a lot more panels.

Registration will be the first floor next year so it'll be a lot more clear. I will ask for bigger/more signs though because there was only one real registration sign.

Yeah, not sure about the lighting. I wasn't really happy with the lighting the main event ballroom/marketplace either. Apparently the lights are controlled by an old school breaker so that may have something do with it. Either way, I will investigate it!

Thank you for the feedback! I love hearing feedback from /cgl/. People on Facebook will sometimes try to sugarcoat it but that's not really going to change much. I like to hear the good, bad, and ugly.
>>
>>9106586
Ichibancon's attendance in 2016: Between 6,000-7,000
AZ's attendance in 2015: over 11,000 (that's the most recent info I could find)

Hoshicon tends to act like the bitter younger sibling to these conventions, constantly comparing itself to them and trying to make itself out to be bigger and better than it actually is. If you guys could just stop being such bitter Betties and keep in mind that you're younger and smaller than these two conventions and stop trying to compete with them, everyone would have a better time at your con.
>>
>>9106979
My bad, my numbers were off then. I'm only going on word of mouth for both estimates.

There's no bitterness or competition. I will admit, I do jump the gun a little with that stuff because people usually brush as off as only having a few hundred attendees when we're not THAT small.

Although it is a bit funny when people are like Ichi is the largest convention in Charlotte and Hoshi is the smallest because it doesn't mean much for either of us because there's only two conventions in Charlotte. (Unless you count Carolina Anime Day but I don't really.)
>>
>>9105114
Didn't go myself but have a friend who did. said there were a bunch of newbies who weren't wearing the fashion which was weird because the website made it seem like a super exclusive event that they would turn people away from who weren't wearing lolita? She said everyone was nice and there was a raffle for some accessories but only a couple of people were in some form of jfash.
Maybe next year they can make it more clear that it isn't an event for getting into lolita?
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.