[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LARP general: tfw no tsundere drow gf edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 342
Thread images: 107

File: drow_by_degan-d5f0338.jpg (194KB, 752x1061px) Image search: [Google]
drow_by_degan-d5f0338.jpg
194KB, 752x1061px
Also, I lost the OP pasta.

Previous thread >>8947068
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-16-15-24-12.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-16-15-24-12.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
Looking to buy a tunic for my saxon character (yay tax refund) as well as a ring belt.

I like the look of pic related but wanted to know if there is a better place to buy from in the US.
>>
>>8964808
Say no to fucking ring belts. They are purely a renfairism. Kult of athena has decent belts that fit the period.

And for cheap, ok stuff, KoA is the best US dealer. If your willing to spend a little more, then actual historic clothing sites like linen garb are the way to go.
>>
still looking for that foam shashka
>>
>>8964451

Drow are cool. Why aren't more people doing drow? Is it because they are racist?

Also who here has built their own war carts?
>>
>>8965401
Because body paint is terrible and too much effort. And because faggot sjws pitch a fit about drow being blackface.

Define war cart.
>>
>>8965443

Similar to the ones developed during the Hussite wars. Basically a wagon that has elevated sides with rifle holes so people can fire out of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_wagon

Thinking about making a one man version of them, with a bicycle base so I can move it without having to get out of the cart.
>>
File: 1460572611777.jpg (75KB, 1540x545px) Image search: [Google]
1460572611777.jpg
75KB, 1540x545px
So I just got back from my Shakespeare competition. On that note how is the quality of acting at your larps?
>>
>>8965453
That sounds like a lot of work for not a lot of benifit.

>>8965559
>that image
Kill yourself.
>>
File: 1460786787175.jpg (28KB, 480x357px) Image search: [Google]
1460786787175.jpg
28KB, 480x357px
>>8965576
Come do it yourself
>>
>>8965401
>Why aren't more people doing drow? Is it because they are racist?

Drow culture here sucks, all of them just play the role for their OP abilities and have a superiority complex outside of character as well.

That is part of being a drow but when you continue with it outside of larping then it really shows what kind of a person you are. Like, every groupings have a FB group page so you can communicate and share moments with the other members, the drow group have a "noble house" page for core members and a "servant house" page for new members but its mostly just the admins spamming their project updates and giving some vague info about the upcoming events. Compare that to orcs and human groups who typically just have one group for all members.

Also, they are theee assholes of LARP.

I don't think this shit happens in every drow group but given the way their characters go I wouldn't be surprised if its common elsewhere.
>>
>>8965559
>On that note how is the quality of acting at your larps?

Its decent, people like to give unhealthy long speaches to centralize the drama around themselves though which is a bit annoying.

Fun example from last event
>" I wanted to make this town better for everyones sake, that is why started a revolt and threathened to cut half the towns throats off but it was for the greater good, for the good of the people! Dont you think we deserve more rights and not be left to starve on the streets! To not let the nobles dictate everything! To not let the scumbag mercenaries rob us of all of our taxes! I only did it because it was the right thing to do, can you really punish a man for his good will in a world full of corruption and evil? Do I deserve this severe punishment? "

And then we cut his head off in the town square for high treason.
>>
File: limbus2.jpg (10KB, 230x153px) Image search: [Google]
limbus2.jpg
10KB, 230x153px
I know a lot of you go to Drachenfest, so I'm sure someone here can explain this to me:

The rulebook states that when you die at DF, you get sucked into a dungeon representing limbo. If you can talk/run/whatever your way out of there, you can go back to play, else the character is dead. Makes sense. However, Drachenfest is a PvP event with ~4500 participants. I'd assume that during large battles, hundreds of people will go down. How does that work? Do loads of people run through there all at once? Do people have to queue up and go through there one by one? Or is there some kind of 'no permadeath during large battles' rule?
>>
>>8966034
Such fucking cringe. It's like making an ass out of yourself for no fucking reason. I hate people who go so far against the grain at game, especially when they complain about the consequences
>>
File: 1454074511544.png (165KB, 303x311px) Image search: [Google]
1454074511544.png
165KB, 303x311px
>>8966122
>>8966027
It was not a word to word quote, more like a translated summary of the message he wanted to deliver as well as a citation of his crimes and reasons. Nothing is made up though.

It was very cringy to listen to and we typically have to deal with a couple of these speeches every campaign so far.

Best part however, no other groupings who they saw as allies and also supported their ideals stood up for them, it was just a small group of mostly unarmed men and women who got rounded up without an effort and then got publicly punished. I don't know how they thought they could seize the most rich and heavily armed town in the campaign without assured military, monetary or political power to hold it.

Peasants I tell you!
>>
>>8966098
Never been to DF but one LARP event I go to has this rule about combat where you only "faint" when you get to 0 HP, if you are at 0 HP and are not within your own camp you can get your throat cut off in which case you officially "die".

If it was a meaningless cutting then you can get revived back by the game master. Sometimes some orc or bandits (typically) decide to just randomly cut someone after a battle which doesn't serve any purpose and then that guy can get revived if he wishes for it, as an example.
>>
File: DSCF3340.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF3340.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>8965401
I stopped doing drow when I realized I look like shit. And that was because I cannot into bodypaint. I was young and foolish at the start of my larping days, now I'm little older and foolish.

>>8966098
Two things. First of all, if a healer of some kind comes and get you from the battlefield before you bleed out you don't have to go to the limbo. There is even a field hospital where you can buy "insurance", and also a skill that prevents bleedout (which is for pussies but whatever)

If you actually bleed out or someone made sure that you die then yeah you go to the limbo and yeah after bigger battles there is a line there that you have to stand through. Next time you will think twice to choose the losing side.

But of course at Drachenfest rules are more of a guidelines, some people just go back to their camp and don't go into any fight for the next hour or so, while still roleplaying stuff.

Anyway, Limbo is fun, different in every year and adds up to the experience, everyone should at least once go there.

On an unrelated note, the larp convention PoRtaL4+ is finished, and I got home.
>>
>>8966027

>Drow
>they are theee assholes of LARP.

Playing to type. kekekekeke
>>
Sup folks
>>
>>8965559
Varies across the whole spectrum. I generally find that the people who act most believably are the ones just playing themselves in a fantasy world (of course), or the chill-ass characters who are just playing characters they love. We've got a group of orks who love their roles so much, they practice their mannerisms in between games to keep them consistent, and they're an absolute joy to play with.

The ones I see falling flat the most are when people try to play dignified nobles or cool, detached scholars, or tacticool military geniuses. There are a few players who can pull that off, but at least half of them end up just looking really tryhard.

And then there's the one or two players who can't keep IC and OOC separate, and ask other characters for their preferred pronouns... but most of the time they're out of the spotlight so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>8965559
Overall it's pretty good. Only 'illness' we got is the spotlight-whoring-special-snowflake kinda people. While I have a long way to go before I'm a decent roleplayer, I can at least say I don't fall for that category
>>
>>8965401
Drow/Dark Elves are aesthetic as fuk. I love them.

That being said, unless you plan to spend every waking second in the makeup area, even just a *tiny* bit of sweat, rain, or anything else, will immediately render your makeup shit. Black paint on white people is not forgiving when it comes to streaking- even tiny smudges are immediately noticeable.

The most successful paint solution was a guy who coated himself in several layers of black greasepaint and sealant, then dumped his face in charcoal powder. Great matte finish. Long lasting. Gave him horrific acne.
>>
>>8964808
Forget ring belts. Get something that you can actually latch satchels, swords, and other stuff onto.

I picked up the leather belt here from medieval collectibles.

http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-5561-leather-ring-belt.aspx

Runner up was the twin belt.

http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-5560-leather-twin-belt.aspx

Do some searching around online for other places and styles, though, if you prefer. But even for ren faires, I prefer a load bearing belt. (I even made a leather fanny pack as it were to hold mine shit)
>>
>>8964808
Both of those belts are just as modern shit as a ring belt, anon.

>>8964808
Here. Don't waist your money. All of these will not look out of place on a Saxon.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SNLA6410BR&name=Leather+Norman+Viking+Belt+

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SNLA6417BK&name=Thin+Viking+Belt

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=PPB02_BR_B&name=Thin+Viking+Borre+Style+Belt+-+Brown+with+Antiqued+Bronze+Fittings

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AH6786&name=Viking+Leather+Belt+

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AH6787&name=Norman+Leather+Belt+

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=PPB06_BR_B&name=Anglo-Saxon+Sutton+Hoo+Leather+Belt+-+Brown+with+Antiqued+Bronze+Fittings
>>
>>8966034

>People always trying to drag democracy and fairness into mostly feudal inspired larps

Peasants.
>>
What i have experienced in my scandilarps is that people are too meta with their desire t o"win" to larp. They want the best outcome for their faction and character.
The irony is that the people in my faction are the opposite and only care about making the game cool and fun, and our boldness has been rewarded with in-character success.
>>
>>8965576

The benefit is that I have a war cart and all the rest of the peasents don't. Having said that I'm struggling to find a reason for having it in game. Maybe just because I want to is a good enough reason.
>>
>>8965559

Noone really gets time to do epic speeches at our branch. Minus the occasional roleplay inbetween combat.
>>
>>8967615
Some larps would actually benefit from in-game democracy, though. I've seen too many games where every second player plays a nobleman and expects everyone to bow to him.
>>
Sent here by gropey to look for a cheap great helm for 14th century armor that's SCA safe. I know Mad Matt has his sugarloaf and that's a fallback if I can't find anything cheaper, but does anybody know how large his helmet is? Does it rest on the jaw level or go down to the neck?
>>
>>8968366
... You send him your measurements, and he makes one to fit you....

Ok. New rule. You're not allowed to buy a helmet until you have an experience SCA fighter measure your head and explain how helmets work.
>>
>>8967470
>Both of those belts are just as modern shit as a ring belt, anon.

Clownfag is right, but at the saem time, they're not bad looking belts. Would prob look better on a fantasy character honestly
>>
File: FB_IMG_1461011610087.jpg (626KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1461011610087.jpg
626KB, 1536x2048px
>>8968366
Have some inspiration. This guy is new too, and for the past two years has been upgrading piece by piece. He started with a gambeson, helm, soupcan knees and elbows etc, and has been adding to it when he can.

Hidden knees and elbows under his padding. Brigandine mitten gauntlets covered in maille. Period shoes...

The East euro market opening up, and HMB becoming a bigger thing has made it easier than ever to build a good kit.
>>
How do y'all feel about the SCA?
I attended my first event this past weekend and had an absolutely marvelous time.
>>
>>8968427
Well, the last couple of post are completely SCA....

There are a lot of us here. Larpthread is larp, SCA, ACL/HMB/BotN, historic recreation, renfairs and WMA/HEMA.

Which kingdom? Im an SCA baby, with most of my time between Glenn Aben and Atlantia (currently Atlantia, and identifying as such).
>>
>>8968427
Welcome. Notice three of the last four posts.
>>8968366
>>8968377
>>8968414

You have found us, brother. Middle Kingdom checking in.
>>
>>8968433
I have an idea of what some of those are, but I've never even heard of
>ACL/HMB/BotN
>WMA/HEMA

I will belong to the Kingdom of Meridies as I live in NW TN.

The Iris Faire was fantastic and I couldn't believe these sorts of events were transpiring anywhere in America. I thought I was doomed to forever swing foam swords in local parks with whiny brats.

>>8968442
I'm relieved there's active threads that support discussion about it all here on 4chan. I've been searching /tg/ and /his/ and was surprised when all the activity happens here in seagull land.
>>
>>8968452
HMB: Historic medieval battle. The over all term for full contact submission fighting with steel blunts.

ACL: Armoured Combat League. The north American branch of HMB

BotN: Battle of the Nations. The largest HMB event in the world, where nationally sponsored teams from around the globe, built of the best national fighters, fight.

>I've been searching /tg/ and /his/
/tg/ sucks lately, and /his/ is just /pol/'s second board.
>>
>>8968452
Oh, WMA is Western Martial Arts, and HEMA is Historic European Martial arts. These are the active academic study and practice of historic combat manuals.
>>
>>8968462
it's not shit, you just go to the shit threads at a shitty time
>>
>>8968473
That aside, what do you think of /his/?
>>
>>8967615
To be fair I do like having a peasant uprising now and then since it means more gold for me, it was mostly just bugging me because these peasants weren't oppressed but it did give me the idea to start oppressing them to maybe start a Robin Hood drama in the campaign since it has been "good vs evil" for far too long now.

>>8967979
Peasant spotted
>>
>>8968481
lots of years ago when people first started to cry for a /his/ board I predicted it will be shit.
It is comforting that I was right and my worldview is correct
>>
>>8968377
Oh, he does? I thought it was a "one size fits all thing" as the description of the helm says 14" with 28" inner circumference. Didn't know he fitted helms for people.
>>
>>8968500
90% of SCA helms are fitted.

Have you been to a few practices and worn any kit yet? Have you actually gotten hit? This is important.
>>
>>8968414
Well if Forge of Svan pans out I doubt I'll need hidden armor. Plate on all the limbs, visby coat of plate, full mitten gauntlets, and some variety of great helm/sugarloaf. All likely for under 1k prior to international shipping and tax (unless I can avoid that rotten scum sucking California sales tax on internet goods).

But I also have a question for leg armor. Should I buy padded chauses if I plan on full plate leg armor or should I just get linen trousers? And yes, I also know to buy padding and take measurements with it on before ordering the actual armor.
>>
>>8968502
Not yet but I plan to go to a session this month to serve as a pinata for pain tolerance test, then start ordering stuff. Fairly confident though that It'll work out, everything I've read/watched points to it just being a more aggressive version of hockey. Only safer.
>>
>>8968505
Oh, did forget to mention getting a gorget as well to put under the armor. Don't want to get thrusted with a bat accidentally and have a collapsed throat. Come to think of it a cup would probably be a good idea to put on my future shopping list should all pan out.
>>
>>8968495
/His/ isn't too bad, the shit posting and /pol/ posters are only a little annoying. R-right?
>>
>>8968495
Amen

>>8968505
It depends. Most people in the SCA don't wear padding on their legs. If you're wearing thick quilted legs, then they will work by themselves.

>>8968509
No. Full stop. Don't buy shit until you've done at least four or five real practices in harness (IE, not just pell work and drills).

This is non negotiable.

>>8968516
Remember how I said you should read the rules?

You should read the rules. Gorgets are required. Minimum a collar style with a cervical plate. The PDF is free online. Stop everything until you read them. http://marshal.eastkingdom.org/fighters.html

>>8968526
Nope. Its all pophistory "No one bathed, swords weighed 50 pounds, muh nordic glory" bullshit.
>>
>>8968516
Seconding clownfag. You're not even close to being ready to buy armor until you know the rules and have fought a few times.
>>
>>8968526
>/His/ isn't too bad, the shit posting and /pol/ posters are only a little annoying. R-right?
let's say that me and cutleranon sometimes skim through the threads when we can't sleep and we need something to melt our brains with. And we always find something ridiculously wrong. Like, wrong on so many levels that you cannot even decide where to start to point out things.
That's how wrong /his/ is most of the times.

And the common urban legend stuff is just the top of the iceberg there are the special case of armchair experts too. On /tg/ people at least admit (most of the time) that their knowledge comes from rpgs and movies. On /his/ the knowledge comes from being edgy
>>
>>8968533
I'm not buying anything yet. I'm compiling a shopping list so I can budget everything and thus know exactly what kind of money will be required.
>>
>>8968545
And don't forget the really bizarre racism. "I don't know who the Ainu are, but they need to be wiped from the face of the earth".

>>8968550
Too many times have I seen new folks that get wet between the hams, and go off and get a whole bunch of shit that they can't use, before finding out the game isn't what they are looking for.
>>
>>8968551
>Too many times have I seen new folks that get wet between the hams, and go off and get a whole bunch of shit that they can't use, before finding out the game isn't what they are looking for.
What retard does that?

$1,000 dollaroos is not something to be thrown around lightly. I've been sitting on this cash for over a year now debating what to do with it.
>>
>>8968554
The ones that see a cool helmet on a website for $135 dollars but don't know the requirements for SCA combat.
>>
>>8968558
I find it alien and strange that somebody would just jump on a purchase like that. Seeking advice is the best possible course of action whenever making large purchases.
>>
>>8968533
>>8968545
I've been there since October and have noticed a lot of /pol/ and /v/ tier bs but it usually gets dealt with. I am studying history and enjoy the board, but wouldn't give much credit to a meme history board on a website dedicated to Chinese cartoons.
>>
>>8968573
Thats not the thing though... There are legitimately intelligent and informed history discussions on /tg/, but the actual history dedicated board is utter dogshit.
>>
>>8968565
Its actually more common than people care to admit.
>>
>>8967470
>>8968396
I have the twin belt (for a fantasy game, mind you). It's holding up very nicely and looks reasonably unique. The D-rings are also very convenient for when I need to hook something onto my belt in a hurry.

My only issue with it is if you need to string something onto your belt (like pouches, frogs, etc) and you're not using the attached rings, it can be a pain to get them on unless they have very large loops.
>>
>>8968605
Anon specifically said he was a Saxon. >>8964808
>>
>>8968610
>Anon specifically said he was a Saxon. >>8964808
And thank you for the list of belts familia.
>>
Quick question. Will a gambeson with a Visby coat of plates provide sufficient protection of my kidneys and short ribs?
>>
>>8968647
You're welcome.

>>8968680
If the plates are correct, yes. That said, a stiff, wide leather belt technically counts.

A good gamby and the visby CoP will work perfectly.
>>
>>8968686
Well all looks good then for the future kit after showing up for some fights to get smacked around and getting measurements with a gambeson on.

Wonder if I can make my "character" simply a plausible great-great-great-etc grandfather. Unless somebody decided to randomly take the name of another family, by my surname I'm probably minor nobility by old blood. Shame it'd be an expensive and time consuming affair to research though.
>>
>>8968690
Well, we really don't do characters. The concept of persona in the SCA is purely for people to be able to focus on a point of history, and for things like educational demos.

My persona for example, is a south Italian late 15thC condottiero from the Campania region Naples, serving in Burgundy, and is based on my actual family history. My equipment, clothes, arts/science projects etc, are all focused to that end.

That said, I don't go around pretending to be that person as a character.

Even then, many people don't stick with one thing. They will wear 14thC German armour when fighting, and will have 16thC Persian clothing for hot wearther, 11thC Norse clothing for cold weather, and will be learning how to cook ancient Roman food.
>>
>>8964808
It obvously doesn't matter so much for LARP and authenticity in the SCA is what you make it; but if you are serious about portraying an A/S then I'd steer clear of this tunic. It's just not historically accurate at all.

The biggest problem are the sleeves. They are far too loose and billowy. In the A/S period sleeves were almost universally close-fitting and tight to arm, going slightly longer than the hand and the material pushed back to create the rippling effect on the lower arm seen in the artwork.

The shape of the kneck is a later fashion, becoming popular in the 11thC possibly as a result of Norman influence. If that's your deal it's fine, but anything earlier and it's a bit anachronistic.

It's made from cotton, which obviously was not the case historically.The usual set-up was to have the tunic made from wool and wear a undertunic/shirt of linen beneath it. The shirt would usually either be undyed or bleached white depending on your status.

It also just doesn't seem to hang right, although that may be because the belt (which is also wonky as others have said) is loose instead of being used to ruck the tunic upto the knee.

If you just want a vaguely historically inspired costume then you could do a lot worse, but if you really want to be an authentic Saxon it just is not right.

A really good book is "Dress in Anglo-Saxon England" by G.R. Owen-Crocker which covers the 5th-11thC.

As for belts, Winchester style fittings are the iconic English fashion. This style runs from the start of the 10thC- early 12thC. The buckle would normally be a simple D made from either copper or iron if you can get it.

http://www.marchand-medieval.com/medieval/lang-en/ssaxon-strap-end-belt/811-saxon-belt-strap-end.html

Check out the Regia Anglorum website. The hallowed Authenticity Regs are gold-dust. Regia knows it's shit.
They've just added a photo gallery to showcase kit and costume through the ages they cover.

http://regia.org/members/aophotos0.php
>>
Which is better for a helm-16 gauge or 14 gauge?
Our weapons are boffers, latex and sometimes a local thing called 'hybrid', which is a boffer with jeans and contact glue on them to make them harder and heavier.
>>
>>8969336
>Our weapons are boffers, latex and sometimes a local thing called 'hybrid'

Any non-decorated metal helm will be fine.

Its generally a good idea to invest in a more sturdy helm though in case you move up to heavier weapons or want to sell it in the future since the the protection level increases second hand value considerably.
>>
File: d702bf5f682024ad5cc4168f92ee3719.jpg (117KB, 736x1032px) Image search: [Google]
d702bf5f682024ad5cc4168f92ee3719.jpg
117KB, 736x1032px
>>8969315
Thank you, it's for a LARP I'm returning to after a long hiatus and wanted to do something more historical. Over the last couple months I've read a lot of A/S literature and even found out a little about my family history.

I'm going to start attending SCA meets in the east kingdom this summer hopefully. Is there any vendor you would reccomend for A/S garb?

On another note, did they ever fight without a shield?
>>
>>8968706
>and is based on my actual family history
Muh heritage
>>
File: Daneaxes on Bayeux Tapestry.png (463KB, 675x229px) Image search: [Google]
Daneaxes on Bayeux Tapestry.png
463KB, 675x229px
>>8969658
I'm glad you found it helpful, otherwise there is not much point.

I'm afraid I don't really know any reputable vendors of accurate A/S clothing, especially for the US. I'm based in the UK and the vast majority of kit is either made ourselves or by experienced members within the re-enactment community here.

As for your other question, shields were almost always used. There would only really be two reasons why you might use one.

The first is if you don't have one to hand. This is far more likely for raids, ambushes and conflict within the society (e.g murder) rather than pitched battle.

The second is if you were using a daneaxe/broadaxe as these require two hands.
This is probably why daneaxes tended, although not universally, to be used by armoured men whose lack of shield was not totally crippling.Although even then there is some evidence that having a shield slung on your back did occur atleast some of the time. If nothing else it means you have to hand if you need to change weapons.

Daneaxes aside, shields are universal on the battlefield and were part of the equipment that the Fyrd was required to own by law. Almost all combat revolved around shield use and it's hard to overstate just how important they were. The link is to Riddle 5 from the Exeter book which gives an idea of shields in the culture. It's a shame that most LARPs don't allow wooden shields as that is usually cheaper than foam, and of course more accurate.

https://theriddleages.wordpress.com/tag/riddle-5/

I also hate to say it, but the picture in your post also has a fair few errors, although some are minor. The big ones are that shield rims were leather/rawhide as far as we can tell instead of metal and the armadillo gloves are fantasy.
>>
>>8969692
>There would only really be two reasons why you might use one.

Might NOT use one is what I meant.

Also by not much point, I mean me taking potshots in the name of historical accuracy is only worthwhile if it helps people. Otherwise I'm just being an ass.
>>
>>8969680
Yeah, why not? Every upper middle class family in Italy had at least one extra son that ended up going to a military academy.
>>
>>8968706
>and is based on my actual family history
so he is well experienced in stealing copper cables?
>>
>>8969336
16 or 14 should both do you fine. Be wary of going higher gauge than that, since 18 and up can actually dent under very strong impact from some of the more solid latex weapons (and probably these "hybrids" as well).
>>
>>8969926
Thats the OTHER half of the family.

>>8969658
>Is there any vendor you would reccomend for A/S garb?

Linengarb.com.
>>
>>8970011
so he is just a half expert on it, noted
>>
>>8970026
No no no. Thats woefully incorrect.

Copper wire like you think isn't 15thC.

He is half an expert at stealing children and prying out gold teeth. DUH.
>>
How long does it take for the SCA to respond to emails?
>>
>>8970039
....Who is "the SCA"? Do you mean the main corporate office? A local group? A Kingdom?

It depends on whos answering.

Whacha need?
>>
>>8970044
maybe he means the company http://www.sca.com/
>>
Whatever happened to shea550 and why doesnt he post anymore
>>
>>8970142
All snark aside, having ran a restaurant, I can tell you they have fucking awesome customer service, and respond to emails at the next day at the latest.

>>8970184
Meh. Nothing of value lost.
>>
>>8970184
dunno, he is always appears for a time post for a while, disappear and repeat it.
>>
Can anybody give me information on
the Sunfall Larp in Copenhagen - http://www.sunfall-metro.com/ and the FATE larp in Germany - http://www.retrokalypse.de/

Basically I want to know if anybody has been to either one and what their opinions on them were. I can't read the German one but the pictures for both events look amazing! Can I get by with just English or do I need to know German and Danish to get the best experience?
>>
>>8971058
never been to any of them but FATE is the biggest postapoc larp in germany afaik and heard good things from it. Also they are using nerf stuff for it but that's obvious from the pictures
>>
>>
What are some reasonable pics to aspire to for first LARP outfits? I would be going to a generic fantasy game, if that helps.
>>
File: 1360680687638.jpg (119KB, 521x706px) Image search: [Google]
1360680687638.jpg
119KB, 521x706px
>>8971213
this is okay, except the shitty photoshop.
And not too complicated either
>>
File: P1000386.jpg (373KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
P1000386.jpg
373KB, 1024x768px
>>8971229
still okay, no problem whatsoever
>>
File: DSCN9869.jpg (252KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9869.jpg
252KB, 1200x1600px
>>8971235
not okay
>>
File: 1318436401616.jpg (275KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1318436401616.jpg
275KB, 640x480px
>>8971238
OH SHIT NIGGER WTF ARE YOU DOING?
>>
File: boffer tag heraldry.jpg (142KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
boffer tag heraldry.jpg
142KB, 1200x1200px
>>8971213
Any particular race or class?

>>8971243
Can't unsee. Pic related.
>>
>>8971213
Not a fan of the cargo pants, but this isn't bad. He layers his clothes well.
>>
File: 1352001281968.jpg (150KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
1352001281968.jpg
150KB, 540x720px
>>8971520
Really big tunics and Irish leines cover a lot of sin.
>>
File: 1018373.jpg.png (2MB, 753x768px) Image search: [Google]
1018373.jpg.png
2MB, 753x768px
>>8971522
Here is a big secret: This is actually a halloween costume pattern set, and its hella good for basic stuff. Look at the folks on the left: They look good because they are wearing realistic layers.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Helmet: How do I totally waterproof against rusting? Like imagine water park amounts of water. I was thinking clear coat at first.
>>
File: dock_neu.jpg (172KB, 400x550px) Image search: [Google]
dock_neu.jpg
172KB, 400x550px
>>8971520
>crossbow
God damn I wish more people used those. Sexy, sexy weapons.
>>
File: 2043225661_6ccdfb6477.jpg (177KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
2043225661_6ccdfb6477.jpg
177KB, 500x400px
>>8971729
Paint.
>>
>>8971731
banned on most larps here since crossbows are illegal, which is a real shame since being a mercenary with one looks way more badass than being a bowfag
>>
>>8971794
One of the members of my larp used to use a nerf crossbow. She switched to a regular bow recently though, because the crossbow didn't get very good range or accuracy.
>>
14th century anon again. What's the difference between a Corazzina and a W/Visby coat of plate?
>>
>>8972020
corazzina has bigger plates
>>
>>8971729
Paint or oil scale blackening, but even then, it will eventually flake off with use. If you're that worried, use automotive paint.

>>8971731
Crossbows are expensive, and tend to have poundage issues. They are either two high, or don't have the power to launch the bolt.

>>8971794
Where is "here"?

>>8972020
Size and style of the plates, as well as popularity differences in exact location and period.

The CoP tends to be medium, overlapping plates. The Corrazzina is much larger, solid plates, with the main aspect being that the breast portion is made of two or three larger, shaped plates, rather than multiple medium plates.

Pic related. Note the breast as two large plates.
>>
File: aamk1_wisby_coat_of_plates.jpg (188KB, 821x653px) Image search: [Google]
aamk1_wisby_coat_of_plates.jpg
188KB, 821x653px
>>8971869
>>8972047
And a Wisby COP.
>>
>>8972047
>>8972049
So a Corizanna would be better then for SCA fighting for more protection? Looks like it covers more of the flanks.
>>
File: I feel pretty.jpg (48KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
I feel pretty.jpg
48KB, 540x720px
>>8972055
>So a Corizanna would be better then for SCA fighting for more protection?

You mean your legs? All depends on how you construct your skirting.

That said, its all about the padding. A good gambeson does 90% of the work in SCA.

Hell, I wear no upper body (other than my placard and gorget), no shoulder, no bicep, no forearm and rarely wear leg armour (other than my hidden knees). My arming jack is more than enough for rattan batons. Pic related, if not too flattering.
>>
File: 1452592449245.jpg (229KB, 683x887px) Image search: [Google]
1452592449245.jpg
229KB, 683x887px
>>8972047
>Where is "here"?
Sweden

Crossbows are licensed weapons but in practice they are even harder to get than a semi-automatic pistol. If I made one or imported one I would get in as much trouble as if owned an AK47 illegally.

There are no specifications within the law that determines what a "crossbow" and a "toy crossbow" is, my own estimate is when the draw power is high enough to effectively injure someone. Since LARP crossbows need to be strong enough to be able to launch a boffer bolt with a relative bit of reach they push the line quite a bit, and some LARP organizers don't want to take the risk of getting in trouble for allowing crossbows because of that.
>>
>Alliance larp requires all archers to have a quiver of at least 64" cubic inches per 20 arrows/bolts (actually packets)

Most people in my local larp just use some big haversack thing to just carry them all, but that feels lazy as hell to me. What's a decent substitution? I'm trying to fing large enough box pouches, but they're all really small.
>>
>>8972066
Thats actually a cute pic of you. Is that a flower crown?
>>
>>8972194
>Most people in my local larp just use some big haversack thing to just carry them all, but that feels lazy as hell to me. What's a decent substitution?

ehm, make one yourself?

If you have a scissor, a sewing machine and preferably a saw you can make one for around 10-15€.

I bought 1m of cheap soft leather and a broad leather belt at a second hand shop for 0.50€, measured how many arrows I wanted to fit in the bottom and the length and then I made a simple pattern that includes a pocket for a wooden plank to act as a spine. Sewed it all together and boom, high quality quiver.

I'll post a pic tomorrow of it since lightning is so bad indoors right now (my camera doesn't work in low light).
>>
>>8972226
Yeah. Did a little tournament at a renfair demo a while back, and some girls gave it to me as a favor for winning.

It was a good time.
>>
>>8972066
Lucky. My kingdom's rulings is that even padding with maille isn't sufficient. Needs to be padding with something close to leather over it as well at minimum.

Guessing Kingdom of the West had an incident that caused that rule.
>>
>>8971729
Nice helmet Oscar
>>
File: P1000235.jpg (2MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
P1000235.jpg
2MB, 1920x2560px
>>8972328
>Guessing Kingdom of the West had an incident that caused that rule.

The incident is that they are pussies who don't like being hit and getting booboos.

Atlantia stronk.
>>
>>8972194
I thought Alliance used the "carry a bow prop and throw packets" rule? Coulda sworn I saw that in the Alliance documentary.
>>
>>8972336
>that they are pussies who don't like being hit and getting booboos.
>like they aren't an organization that needs to meet certain safety requirements to satisfy insurance companies
>safety/being cautious is a bad thing
>sca totally isn't based around making sure folks have fun on the weekends and are good enough to go back to work on monday
>muh real combat muh toughness i would totally be a badass knight in real life if chivalry wasnt dead *tips fedora*
>inb4 hurr im just joking we do this all da time between branches
>>
>>8972356
Hence, the (actually packets) line. What bugs me is that I have several pouches that can fit 20 big old markers in them easily, but since they don't meet the dimensions, they're apparently unfit for use as a quiver. I just don't want to be yet another guy running around with a cloth sack between my nads to throw packets from.
>>
>>8972392
>like they aren't an organization that needs to meet certain safety requirements to satisfy insurance companies

They enforce greater than the society minimum bro. Im just making fun.

Its like the kingdoms that require your sternum to be covered, so people tape a circle of foam the size of a coaster over their chest.

Calm your tits beaux
>>
>>8972396
... Totally missed that part. wtg me.
>>
>>8972392
Except we do joke about this shit, and its what we do. Confirmed for insecure manlet.

Besides, WK does suck donkey taint.
>>
>>8972423
He takes not taking it seriously, very seriously.
>>
>>8972392
>>muh real combat muh toughness i would totally be a badass knight in real life

Gropey fights bohurt. People get teeth knocked out and fingers cut off regularly. That is actually a thing he does.
>>
File: Bungee_Cord_Bicycle_Hooks[1].jpg (148KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Bungee_Cord_Bicycle_Hooks[1].jpg
148KB, 1280x853px
>>8972047
>They are either two high, or don't have the power to launch the bolt.

As an experiment, our group created crossbows of their own. Rather than have a flexible bow, we made it out of solid steel, and used bungee chord instead of string to launch it.

While we don't know the exact poundage, they've been deemed safe in 5 larps, and banned in none. Might be worth considering.
>>
>>8972521
As elitist pricks as they can be, Clownfag and Hungarian are the only two who would be worth a damn in a real fight or living in the middle ages. Both have legit training and gear. Gropey is bearmode and picks streetfights for fun. Hungarian will stab you in the dick to prove a point.
>>
>>8972147
>Sweden
Well, there are still a lot of crossbowman on swedish larps. But look on the bright side, you can use all the black powder guns

>>8972521
>People get teeth knocked out and fingers cut off regularly
don't mix up standard buhurt and BotN. Teeth getting kncoked out can be relatively common in both but fingers cut of isn't a norm even on BotN, although it happens.

>>8972730
>Clownfag and Hungarian are the only two who would be worth a damn in a real fight or living in the middle ages
I don't know about Gropalope but I'm sure as fuck I wouldn't stand a chance in the middle ages. The most lacking skill on that front is that I don't speak ye olden languages. Plus it's pretty likely I would die from some kind of disease or something similar.
And I won't be that optimistic about a real fight either, depends on too many things. Plus real fights is more about how many friends you can bring to it instead of a one on one duel
>>
>>8972642
Better than packets throwing.

>>8972730
I am firm with Hungarian >>8972737 on this. Not counting diseases and microbes that don't exist now to be immune to, language is a HUGE barrier. I might be able to squeak by with what little Latin Vulgate I can recall from catholic school/ highschool Latin class, but even if I could remember enough, getting the chance to talk to someone high enough up the social ladder that understands Latin would be next to impossible.

My dialect of French doesn't exist until the 1700's. I speak Cajun, which is a corruption of Acadian French. Frenadian and I speak a sister language and even we have "WTF" moments where his fellow Quebecois think im adorably quaint.

Romani.... Even though that would probably work with little translation error, speaking to Rom in the middle ages won't be doing me any favours, even if they accept a light skin like me.

As for fighting, I could probably hold my own against a layman if I don't get ganged up on, but I am sure that a professional would show me my guts quick. I practice 2-3 times a week, but they live a lifestyle around it. There was a point in my life where I *might* have made them break a sweat, but that was seven years, 100 pounds and a hardware store worth of metal ago. I am fat, crippled and blind in one eye now. It wouldn't be pretty.
>>
>>8972778
on language front I might have a slightly better chance than you as ye olden hungarian is KIND OF understandable by todays hungarians if given the time to understand what the fuck is they talking about. At least written texts from 1300's can be figured out in an hour or so with more or less problems and with the exception of a few dozen words
>>
>>8972796
Well, I also speak and read a good bit of middle english, but unless I am talking to English peasants, that would do me no good.
>>
>>8972802
well, during 1541-1699 the turks occupied one third of hungary, so depending on what counts as medieval times I can be even more fucked up.
Although a lot depends on the starting equipment, and on the where. If you appear in modern cloths during those times I'm pretty sure you will end up on the wrong end of a gangbang. And not because "omg he is a witch" but because "omg those stuff must worth a lot"
>>
>>8972737
>Well, there are still a lot of crossbowman on swedish larps. But look on the bright side, you can use all the black powder guns

As I mentioned above, some allow them and some don't.

My main campaign don't allow them because they don't want to risk getting in trouble with the law, partially because people tend to smuggle in banned weapons such as calimacil swords or bows with high draw power (they set the limit at 20 pound bows but sometimes they confiscate bows up to 30-35 pound that someone sneaked in). If someone brought in an illegal crossbow the event holders could also be held responsible for it.
>>
>>8972949
At least you don't have to talk down people from using real arrows with steal heads
>>
thinking of painting all of my gear, anyone got some painted armour inspirations they could send my way?
>>
>>8972969
>from using real arrows with steal heads

Shit, that really happens on the continent larps?

No I have never experienced that, closest thing I guess is when one of my mates got peppered with steel BBs at an airsoft related LARP. I'd be furious if I saw someone nocking up a real arrow.
>>
File: spear_22.jpg (761KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
spear_22.jpg
761KB, 1000x750px
>>8973101
we experienced it a few times in the early larps in this country. Stuff like real arrows with a cork in it weren't uncommon, separate rules were made just because of this.
Bringing down steel daggers and putting a layer of foam on it also happened.
Bokkens with shit tier padding too.
I could go on, I've seen some shit.

But that's history now, those things aren't really happening anymore, just a few exception pops up every once in a while.
And because of this we REALLY know what counts as unsafe, but people from other countries still have funny opinions about this.
>>
>>8973122
There are old war stories of a bunch of Poles shooting sharp arrows with rubber caps at one Hastings many moons ago. It's before my time so I don't know if there is any truth to it, but if so I'd reckon it was early-mid 2000s.
>>
>>8973154
entirely possible. Those were a different times
>>
>>8973122
I've heard of people having covered sharp tipped arrows with foam in the early days of larp in my country, I definitely believe it
>>
>>8973469
it's pretty easy to believe it when arrows hit a shield next to you and they stuck in it
>>
>>8972949
>Limit at 20lbs
>People smuggle in 30lbs

Our limits are set at 30lbs (15kg, rather, so 33), in part because these are the easiest low poundage bows to find. Possible they're smuggling in that poundage because of that, too. No chance of talking the organizers into upping the limit?
>>
>>8974189
Its beginner friendly so there are a lot of kids without armor around so they take safety restrictions seriously.

When I first started out the limit was actually at 15lbs but they increased it since elves cant hit for shit and the weak bows didnt help with that. But to be fair though, their recommended bows and arrows do have a fair bit of range to them since the "buff", so I dont really see a need to increase the limit again since the draw power is enough for most situations.

That being said though, my bow is actually around 25-30lbs but I managed to get it approved even back in the 15lbs times by having shorter arrows, so its not like you cant work around the restrictions.

Plus bows are okay to use after dark, I know one LARP here who my friends want to go to that has higher bow limits and they allow crossbows and throwing weapons and is more focused on a war campaign, but instead you cant use any ranged weapons at night which is a bother for some of us.
>>
>>8974306

Ah, fair enough, fair enough. Our games ban night time archery outright, mostly because of the increased risk of hitting an unintended target (faces, pregnant women, etc.).
>>
>>8973154
its true, I know people who were there. People were decidedly un-impressed.
>>
>>8973154
Wanna be Saxon anon again, I saw some posts about SCA and was curious what a good starting point for gear would be once I've invested myself.

I'll be attending my first meeting in the eastern kingdom soon. Some people I've talked to have reccomend the visby cop. I also have an I'll fitting chainmail shirt that needs it's V neck fixed.
>>
File: IMG_20160423_132419.png (1MB, 1080x1308px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160423_132419.png
1MB, 1080x1308px
Sold the bracers because they were too small for the gambeson, going to buy new ones tomorrow at the elf fantasy fair.
>>
>>8975866
Regia anon again. I've got friends in the SCA but I'm a limey myself so I apologise if I've got details wrong.

What sort of thing are you interested in? A lot of things stayed constant but some details did shift over time so if you have a specific time period in mind then that would really help narrow things down to what you want. Another big choice if you want to be entirely English or from the Danelaw that had Scandinavian influences.

Basic wargear is a shield, spear and a helmet. A short arm like an axe or sword, with a seax as a back up will round out your weapons and are handy when things get close up.

One problem is that the SCA has pretty stringent rules about head protection. Most of the styles of helmet used by the A/S only had nose bars and sometimes cheek flaps on the earlier ones. Sadly an accurate style of nasal helm just won't cut it, and most put grill visors on to make them SCA legal.

Armour-wise, it's pretty much maille or clothing. Again SCA rules will require reinforcements which can be concealed, but visible armour is maille. A short sleeved shirt to about elbow length and coming down to mid-thigh is the most common style and good for most datelines. Visby CoPs are 14thC, a good few hundred years later than A/S period.

Clothing wise:
Turn shoes, fairly tight trousers or hose with leg bindings, undershirt (linen), tunic (wool) and a cloak are the basics. The style of brooch for the cloak is a really good way to advertise your period/culture. As usual what colours you use signify social status and embroidery/tablet weave at the cuffs and neck help if you want to get really fancy.

I don't want to just bombard you with information, but I'm happy to help out if you like.
>>
>>8976112
Haha, don't worry about bombarding me, it's all very helpful. For SCA I wasn't thinking strictly A/S.

As far as the hand protection and face protection go, I've no qualms about the little things long as they stop me from getting hurt. Hands are especially important to keep protected just because of muh diabetes.
>>
>>8976178
That's good, as long as it all helps.

As I said, if you had any ideas about what sort of person you wanted to portray in terms of status,culture or time period then I can do more specific information. There is a whole warren of rabbit holes to go down once you get fixated on a project.

http://www.vikingage.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

This website is an amazing wealth of knowledge, it's a little patchy as it's still under construction but it's still a fantastic resource. Despite the name England is the main focus and naturally the Anglo-Saxons get a lot of attention.

http://www.saxonviolence.com/collection/dark-ages do LARP weapons that are actually pretty good in terms of historical accuracy which is rare. They don't deliver to the US so unless you have ways around that it might not help. Euro-anons might find it interesting though.
>>
>>8972730

You really don't know anything about proper fighting. Training with a sword is fine if you have time to get your hands on an impromptu equivalent but generally in a street fight you are either drunk, unarmed and out numbered.

All of the fights that I have been in I have started because I was drunk and being a dick and I lost them against multiple people punching me in the face and then kicking me while I was on the ground. I'm fairly tough though so after I got out of the police cells I generally only had a bloody face and some minor bruising and cuts and stuff.

In the only group fight involving weapons I have been part of it was mostly people threatening each other and then swinging wildly before the cops came and everybody ran away.

Having had some training in actual medieval combat I can safely say that Gropey and Hungary Larpfag would probably not fair that well against proper medieval fighters, due to the fact that those guys whole lives were dedicated to actually killing people while Gropey and Hungary Larpfag only play at it.
>>
>>8976595
We both already cleared that up.
>>
For shields do you edge it with a cut up hose or something?
>>
>>8976804
Depends on the game and it's rules.

I've seen shields done with pool noodles/insulation foam along the edges.

My shield is all EVA foam with a small wooden bracing piece in the center just for rigidity.

Depends on your needs.
>>
>>8976804
>>8976850
Ahh I haven't thought of edging my shields. My couple shields are all foam or covered in fabric on the edge.

Would like info as well. I feel like pool noodles would look pretty funny added onto a shield.
>>
>>8976753

Ah my bad, didn't see the responses before I wrote my post. Honestly though I think we could probably produce much better melee and ranged medieval fighters than anything the middle ages produced if there was a properly dedicated school that taught the basics of how to stab people as well as providing training facilities that enabled people to do it safely while also keeping it realistic. Something where you can actually stab and slash armored training dummies that are anatomically correct and provide the same kind of resistance you would expect to feel if you were actually stabbing somebody.
>>
>>8976850
Is it better to have foam shields or wooden ones ?
>>
I wish the SCA was more like 14th or 15th century melee tournaments. Grappling really ought to be allowed.
>>
File: 20160424_222837.jpg (2MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160424_222837.jpg
2MB, 3984x2988px
>>8976804
Mine is fully foam. It has a backing of stiffer foam, with softer foam on the front.
>>8977436
I don't really see the need for wooden ones. They are going to be hit with foam weapons, so a stiff foam shield is perfectly fine.
>>
>>8977436
Depends on the game.

The game I play in is extremely light when it comes to fighting (tap fighting) and doesn't allow shield-bashing so I don't need a more strongly constructed one.
>>
File: 0435.jpg (49KB, 506x720px) Image search: [Google]
0435.jpg
49KB, 506x720px
>>8977473
But we do. Special tournaments and A&S combat. It just is not good for big melees, and is rarely done due to marshal requirements.

>>
Can anyone poat some decent inspo outfits/tutorials for certain parts etc? I want to improve my outfits which are not too great currently
>>
>>8978041
This guy has a pretty bitchin suit that shouldn't be too hard to make either.
>>
File: 1456957653798.jpg (266KB, 736x1212px) Image search: [Google]
1456957653798.jpg
266KB, 736x1212px
>>8978063
Too be honest the coat of plates/brig/corizanna are the best things ever for reenacting or LARPing. You get excellent protection over the entire torso for a price often less than a half-decent hauberk, and you don't need to worry about busted links. Real shame how shitty maille is compared to COPs when it comes to price and maintenance.
>>
File: 1261798845528.jpg (129KB, 550x733px) Image search: [Google]
1261798845528.jpg
129KB, 550x733px
>>>>8978063
Posting superior Sigmarite warpriest. Also, yours is the wrong century: WHFB Empire is late 15th/early 16th inspired.
>>
>>8978071
Also
>tfw a coat of plate costs less than a full hauberk
>>
File: tumblr_nptsx6Bu2K1uxd1oao1_1280.jpg (75KB, 685x1019px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nptsx6Bu2K1uxd1oao1_1280.jpg
75KB, 685x1019px
>>8978041
>>8978075
I though anon was just posting Sigmar priests for inspiration for making a new kit. Not that he was specifically interested in Sigmar priests.
>>
File: 1348961372434.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1348961372434.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>8978076
...G-great grandpa?

Fucking love that mace.
>>
File: tumblr_lzv8zbq5241rqq8qeo1_500.jpg (66KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lzv8zbq5241rqq8qeo1_500.jpg
66KB, 480x720px
>>8978078
>Not bringing Sigmar's wrath
>heretic.woodcut

I bet the faggot doesn't even praise the hammer.
>>
>>8978078
>>
>>8978080
Yeah the guy has a pretty cool kit on deviantart. Only thing I can knock him for is the nonexistent helm. Visored barbutas trigger me.

BTW gropey, how much would your average coat of plate weigh? Contacted the Forge of Svan guys, shipping to Cali is $20 per KG.
>>
File: BEST FUCKING ARMOR.jpg (2MB, 2000x3008px) Image search: [Google]
BEST FUCKING ARMOR.jpg
2MB, 2000x3008px
If you guys had a million bucks, what would be your dream kit?

>pic related
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>>8978090
>Only thing I can knock him for is the nonexistent helm. Visored barbutas trigger me.

What are you talking about? There are several various extant helms, and tons of art.

>how much would your average coat of plate weigh
Depends on the steel, shell, etc, but on average between 7-10 pounds, according to several modern armourers.

>>8978094
I'd give Ugo Serrano the money, and tell him "1470-1500, Italian" and let him do Ugo type things.
>>
>>8978098
>What are you talking about? There are several various extant helms, and tons of art.
Aren't those all Victorian forgeries?
>>
>>8978115
Not that I am aware of. I know the one with the klappvisor is, but the one I post was authentic.
>>
>>8978083
>>8978075
>>8978041
Are they all the same guy? Or is there a thing with bald dudes being a priest?

>>8978076
Does anyone have a photo of the visored helmet he's holdin, on a person? I think of getting one.
>>
>>8978123
>Or is there a thing with bald dudes being a priest?

Priests of Sigmar are traditionally bald, and you're a racist. I bet you think people from Tabalheim and Talabecland are the same. #notallimperials

Here is the exact helm. Unlike Anon's mistake, its a bascinet, not a barbuta. http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=SNH2236&name=Visored+Bascinet+
>>
File: tyrion-lannister-25-1430225512.gif (437KB, 500x245px) Image search: [Google]
tyrion-lannister-25-1430225512.gif
437KB, 500x245px
>folks who think video games/tv shows aren't good inspiration for LARP garb
>>
>>8978150
The GOT unadjustable x-harness cloak deal is retarded. As is the lack of colours.
>>
>>8977502
>I don't really see the need for wooden ones.

Personally, I like the weight of a wooden one more. There's also always one assclown that has this insurmountable urge to come kick or even tackle your towershield, and in these cases it seriously helps to have a wooden one.

No, it's not allowed. Yes, it's incredible dangerous to pull that kind of bullshit. There's still always one.
>>
File: 1382471561115.jpg (854KB, 1504x2236px) Image search: [Google]
1382471561115.jpg
854KB, 1504x2236px
>>8978163
Nothing triggers me more that bleak and drab medieval/medieval fantasy shows or movies. Common clothing was an orgy of color compared to the fairly drab modern clothes.

Good lord I doubt most people even realize just how fabulous the 15th-16th centuries were.
>>
>>8978076
Link? I've had a remarkable amount of trouble finding brigandine/cop for a good price.
>>
File: brigandine with plate accessory.jpg (36KB, 360x495px) Image search: [Google]
brigandine with plate accessory.jpg
36KB, 360x495px
>>8978094
Something along these lines.
>>
>>8978255
http://www.forgeofsvan.com/en/Body-defenses/Visby-Brigandine/Detailed-product-flyer.html

That's right. $135 for a Visby Coat of Plates.
>>
>>8977436
cardboard shields with a thin layer of foam. easy and cheap to make, not too heavy, you can still safely attack with it AND it can be destroyed.

Alternatively ABS with foam cover. IT's more expensive but still easy to make and you can shape it into various forms so hand pavesies aren't hard to make from that
>>
>>8978041
>Can anyone poat some decent inspo outfits/tutorials for certain parts etc?
which parts?
but look here, there are a few stuff that could be useful
https://picasaweb.google.com/102150401639510130489/PatternsAndStuff
>>
File: 1415924664813.jpg (249KB, 1058x1497px) Image search: [Google]
1415924664813.jpg
249KB, 1058x1497px
>>8978094
I'm not sure that one million would be enough for this but here we go
>>
File: 1415924589100.jpg (288KB, 1058x1497px) Image search: [Google]
1415924589100.jpg
288KB, 1058x1497px
>>8978292
>>
File: 1415924760682.jpg (132KB, 1058x1497px) Image search: [Google]
1415924760682.jpg
132KB, 1058x1497px
>>8978295

also
>>8978123
yes, it's the same german guy through different years
>>
File: 1415924830201.jpg (223KB, 1058x1497px) Image search: [Google]
1415924830201.jpg
223KB, 1058x1497px
>>
File: 1415924897832.jpg (219KB, 1058x1497px) Image search: [Google]
1415924897832.jpg
219KB, 1058x1497px
>>
File: 1415924969426.jpg (283KB, 1058x1497px) Image search: [Google]
1415924969426.jpg
283KB, 1058x1497px
>>
File: 544069813_69e9c805f6_o.jpg (1MB, 2000x3008px) Image search: [Google]
544069813_69e9c805f6_o.jpg
1MB, 2000x3008px
>>8978295
Nigga you need more gold on that armor.
>>
File: 1415925033392.jpg (233KB, 1058x1497px) Image search: [Google]
1415925033392.jpg
233KB, 1058x1497px
>>8978302
England plebs confirmed
>>
File: 1415925636470.jpg (232KB, 1058x1497px) Image search: [Google]
1415925636470.jpg
232KB, 1058x1497px
>>8978303
and the end
>>
File: 1445136416926.jpg (432KB, 1143x1586px) Image search: [Google]
1445136416926.jpg
432KB, 1143x1586px
>>8978302
>>8978303
I heard you guys were both claiming to have the superior armor.

Fuck off peasants. HON HON HON
>>
>>8978310
the problem with that armor is that from afar it looks like someone vomited on it. And it isn't really better at close up...
It's like someone wanted to show that he has enough money to pay the craftsman to do something disgusting while being very expensive
>>
File: In Modo Antiquo 1.jpg (107KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
In Modo Antiquo 1.jpg
107KB, 480x720px
>>8978295
>>8978296
>>8978302
>>8978303
>>8978310
Ya'll need to get cultured.
>>
>>8978324
>fanboying fantasy armour
>>
File: gold plated armor.jpg (83KB, 720x479px) Image search: [Google]
gold plated armor.jpg
83KB, 720x479px
>>8978329
>Jealous of the bling
>True inheritors of Rome
>>
>>8978332
unf
>>
File: smug voltaire.jpg (217KB, 831x1000px) Image search: [Google]
smug voltaire.jpg
217KB, 831x1000px
>>8978332
>Holy
>Roman
>Empire
>>
File: Make Sicily pay for the wall.jpg (115KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Make Sicily pay for the wall.jpg
115KB, 600x900px
>>8978349
>No, like, actual Rome. Not Germans pretending to be people.
>>
File: 1409892851303.jpg (335KB, 930x1235px) Image search: [Google]
1409892851303.jpg
335KB, 930x1235px
>>8978332
>>True inheritors of Rome
You can keep saying it as many times as you want, it isn't true.
>>
>>8978354
>make sicily pay for the wall

You can fuck right off Machiavelli. While I'm enjoying my multiculturalism, universities, and arabian harem.
>>
File: IMG_20160425_133750.png (791KB, 616x853px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160425_133750.png
791KB, 616x853px
Helmet looks fucking shit
>>
File: 1426652101538.jpg (41KB, 800x799px) Image search: [Google]
1426652101538.jpg
41KB, 800x799px
>>8978390
Helmets are awesome and people who refuse to wear them are massive faggot snowflakes.
>>
>>8978397
That helmet that im wearing is shit
>>
File: 1305123761698.jpg (46KB, 512x699px) Image search: [Google]
1305123761698.jpg
46KB, 512x699px
>>8978397
and then you look at something like this and you have to think twice if wearing it REALLY makes you look awesome or not
>>
>>8978423
what a shitty and non-historical helmet.
>>
>>8978427
it's historical in a sense.
In the "vicotrian-era forgery" sense
>>
Just come back from a Regency Era larp in a country house in the Midlands. It was fantastic, think Regency House Party and Pride and Prejudice, meets Dr Who and Sharpe. Being an officer of noble standing I decided to bring a cannon. Because I could.
>>
Was great fun, wheeled it out just before a large battle encounter. Turned several foe into red mist with it. Before someone spiked it and the next time I fired it, it "blew up" and critically injured my character and at least five others in the player party. Was hilarious.
>>
File: terror.jpg (102KB, 528x516px) Image search: [Google]
terror.jpg
102KB, 528x516px
>>8964451
Is that the PA Renn Faire, OP?
I'd recognize that yellow building+turkey leg anywhere.
>>
could someone please post god tier Garb? something to strive for.

No armor or lanchetnet please, They are everywhere.
>>
>>8978881
I got that pic off Google so I don't know really.

Try image search if you want confirmation.
>>
File: 1318534013196.jpg (146KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1318534013196.jpg
146KB, 667x1000px
>>8978894
>>
>>8978897
Turned out its just a very similar looking building in Massachusetts.
>>
File: DSC05358.jpg (2MB, 3264x4912px) Image search: [Google]
DSC05358.jpg
2MB, 3264x4912px
>>
File: img_1844_24274304374_o.jpg (2MB, 5472x3648px) Image search: [Google]
img_1844_24274304374_o.jpg
2MB, 5472x3648px
>>
File: 1316297732186.jpg (98KB, 523x785px) Image search: [Google]
1316297732186.jpg
98KB, 523x785px
>>
>>8978873
>>8978877
I saw the pictures of the cannon on facebook, it looks fucking ace. Was the ramrod larp safe?
>>
File: 1303423727570.jpg (102KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
1303423727570.jpg
102KB, 480x720px
>>
File: 1279405146340.jpg (154KB, 666x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1279405146340.jpg
154KB, 666x1000px
>>
>>8978942
Yeah ramrod was larp safe too so i could whack anyone that got too close.
>>
>>8978978
or, you could have just shot them with a canon, point blank
>>
>>8978986
Very true!
>>
>>8978916
>Nurgle
>Not going full on with prosthetics/makeup showing horrible boils and shit on the face

Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>8979021
I like how you imply that he is a follwer of nurgle just so that you can be wrong.
If you look closer you can see there are other chaos worshipers on the pic, like khorne berserkers.

From that it's clear that he is a follower of Tzeench
>>
>>8979035
I meant the actual Nurgle guy in the picture,
>>
>>8979038
Well he obviously thought that his inherit ugliness is enough.
>>
>>8978399
Why is that?
>>
>>8978197

Imagine if they had fluorescent dyes in that period... yeah some natural dyes are surprisingly bright. Madder in particular is an eye-searingly bright red on certain fabrics.

Has anyone else sort of fallen out of LARP. Like I had to take a long hiatus for rl reasons. When I went back, I found out both icly and oocly that my usual adventuring party broke up. So my character felt like she was just there awkwardly hanging onto a loose plot thread. And I just wasn't feeling it, it just wasn't the same anymore. I'm thinking of maybe returning with a new, when they finally move to the new site. But I already spent so much money on her kit, that it feels like I'm wasting it.
>>
14th century anon again, just wondering, is there any specific appearance/armor unique to Sicilian Knights during the 14th century?
>>
File: untitled.jpg (36KB, 1178x244px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
36KB, 1178x244px
Man, /tg/ has gone to shit about larp.

>>8978390
The worst part is the visor.

>>8978399
If thats you, then time to upgrade. Also, fix your couter points.

>>8978383
>Missedthejoke.jog

>>8978873
>>8978877
>>8978978
WHERE!? I HAVE BEEN TRAINING MY SIDEBURNS FOR THIS VERY THING.

>>8979118
No trolling: Like poor South Italian and Greek knights. A few years out of date, and a little behind fashion. Like the Scots were to the English.
>>
File: 1453525689163.jpg (167KB, 690x460px) Image search: [Google]
1453525689163.jpg
167KB, 690x460px
>>8978324
>mitten gauntlets
>>
>>8979135
>No trolling: Like poor South Italian and Greek knights. A few years out of date, and a little behind fashion. Like the Scots were to the English.
Hm. So a guy from 1350 would be still wearing great helms and splinted limb armor compared to full plate limbs? Would they be wearing surcoats or not still?
>>
>>8979148
>Historically accurate Milanese mitten gauntlets
>Much safer, and much more historically prevalent
>Muh not smashed fingers.

Deal with it. Also, modernly speaking, aside from being safer than fingers for blunt force, they are also much cheaper.

What kind of gauntlets do you own?
>>
File: Ventian.jpg (105KB, 611x849px) Image search: [Google]
Ventian.jpg
105KB, 611x849px
>>8979156
Considering that both greathelms and surcoats were not uncommon in the 1350's yes.

Look up Italian Medieval Armies 1300–1500 - The Italian Militias 1300-1350 by Opsrey Publishing
>>
>>8979135
I've found that when it comes to larp, /tg/ has split into two minds. Half is really shit about it, and the other half still has that sense of wonder and loves talking about it. It's a crapshoot which half you'll get any time you post about it, so most of the time it's just not worth it.
>>
>>8979158
Don't own any because I'm a poorfag. Having fought with both mitten and fingered, though, I can say with confidence that I much prefer fingered gauntlets.
>>
>>8979173
The wrong way, and the right way.

>>8979193
But are we talking latex/boffers, or blunt steel and batons?

Actually needing gauntlets to keep your fingers makes a huge difference.
>>
>>8979173
That, and the clown's just mad another internet community doesn't give him the respect he thinks he deserves, so he conplains about the quality of mongolian animation boards.
>>
>>8979206
Not batons, but blunt steel, yes.

Really though, if you prefer mitten ones, that's fine. I was just exercising traditional 4chan shit-talking.

>>8979249
Based on that screenshot, though, I'm inclined to agree with him this time.
>>
>>8979249
Actually, that was to Hungarian as well me.

I would say to suck my cock, but unless I wrap it in foam, it might not turn you on.

>>8979255
Full submission fighting like ACL, Historic fencing like HEMA, or pulled/half speed like Adrian Empire?
>>
>>8979249
Hungarian is the one laying into lazyfag anon and dumping hideous dicksword pics. You sound buttmad.
>>
File: 25-whole-sword.jpg (143KB, 640x247px) Image search: [Google]
25-whole-sword.jpg
143KB, 640x247px
>>8979267
Admittedly, I started it, but Hungarian picked up the elitist ball and ran with it.

Apparently, A pool noodle on a stick is just as good as pic related.
>>
>>8979273
Yuck, LARP swords. I don't know what's worse. Shitty LARP swords or shitty LARP missile weapons that shouldn't even be a threat to you depending on your kit even if they were real longbows.
>>
>>8979273
Thats not bad and actually tries to be kind of sword like. There is never an excuse for dickbats.
>>
i have some questions

how do you feel about people who train like a sport for events

what are your thoughts on costuming? must it be elaborate or authentic?

what about hard fighting like full on tackling and grapple?
>>
File: bardiche 2.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
bardiche 2.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>8979285
I understand the concept of "Pad the weapons not the player" and a modicum of abstraction to make it safe for unarmoured amateurs, but just a little bit of elbow grease can make everything less cringe worthy.

A roll of blue camp-foam, a box cutter, and some contact cement and you can make more than a half dozen, decent US safe boffers, for the same material costs as a generic dicksword.

>>8979290
My bardiche is nothing but campfoam. I do have a sleeve of painted pool noodle for the haft depending on the game rules
>>
File: start.jpg (33KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
start.jpg
33KB, 500x700px
>>8979314
>how do you feel about people who train like a sport for events

First and foremost, you have to understand that here, many of us in the LARPthread don't just larp, but also study western martial arts and historic fencing, as well as compete in other related forms.

For a larp, exersize and training isn't required, but most larps by nature are very physically active and skill oriented, at least to the level of a casual touch football game. It doesn't hurt, and I would suggest it, but I would never expect them to do shit like the weight training/cardio/pell drills like I do for ACL.

>what are your thoughts on costuming? must it be elaborate or authentic?

An attempt must be made, and the 10 foot rule should be standard. The 10 foot rule is "Doesn't look modern at a glance from 10 feet".

A tunic, sweatpants and nondescript shoes or boots is an attempt that works, and can be built on over time. Cargo shorts, soccer cleats, and fingerless gloves are not.

Granted, with quality historic clothing getting more common and cheaper, the level of excusable halfassery from veterans is a closing gap.

Pic related. Great start. Next, add a long sleeved undershirt. Then a hood. Then who knows what else? Eventually, upgrade the tunic and keep going

>what about hard fighting like full on tackling and grapple?

For as much shit as I give them, many foam-fight groups actually are pretty liberal with grappling, with some basic safety rules in place. They restrict target areas, but the boffers are pretty difficult to hurt someone, and the rules are basically "You can initiate a grapple with someone in similar or heavier armour than you, but not lesser" and a social caveat about big guys shouldn't initiate grapples with smaller girls (but if they start it, go for it) . No throws or joint locks, but some good tussling is to be had.
>>
>>8979264
Probably closer to HEMA than those other two.
>>
>>8979353
Then most of your stuff is waster and feder, and incidental contact, rather than mashing a man's hand's as hard as you can to cause him to drop his weapon. I dropped $200usd on treated spring-stainless fingers alone, and they are going to UNDER a pair of mittens.
>>
>>8979314
Depends, in both cases.

Are you playing a character who would dress elaborately, like a noble or other fancy-shmancy type? Then yes, your costume should be elaborate. Are you playing a more humble character? Then this may be a case where less is more. As long as your costume doesn't look lazy, either one has its place.

Is your game set in a historic or very close pseudo-historic setting? Then you should try for authenticity. Is it in a more fantasy setting, or one where you can get away with mixing time periods and taking creative liberties? Then you don't need to stick to historic precedent so much, although imo you should still almost always design your costume with an eye toward real-world functionality.
>>
>>8979365
This is accurate. We were discouraged from striking directly at the hands, although not explicitly forbidden, and as a result most hand contact was incidental, yes. I found that in that situation, having articulated fingers gave me much better fine control over my weapon.

And of course, in your case, the extra protection is much more valuable, so your preference is understandable.
>>
>>8979374
That I can understand and appreciate, hence why I am using a Milanese style finger-under mitten. It should be said though that historically, there is a disproportionate number of combat and tournament used mitten and clamshell style gauntlets compared to finger gauntlets. Fingered gauntlets in a practical setting, seem to really come into their own later, with the prevalence of complex hilts and firearms.
>>
File: index.jpg (7KB, 221x228px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
7KB, 221x228px
>>8979387
Also: Finger bucklers.
>>
Any Jomsborg here? Just checked out the local group this weekend and planning on going back again. Really curious about the big Viking markets and whatnot.
>>
File: RERLXiF.png (171KB, 322x394px) Image search: [Google]
RERLXiF.png
171KB, 322x394px
>>8979394
>>
>>8979415
did you come from /pol/ ?
>>
>>8979103
I must say that this sticking to one character only problem is kind of alien to me.
I mean if it's possible I like to continue my character as long as I can but I'm going to so many different games with so many different characters that it was never a real problem if I couldn't continue one.

And most people who go to several larps are like that

>>8979135
>Man, /tg/ has gone to shit about larp.
nah, it's just US /tg/. or "day time" /tg/. It was always like that, don't even try to pretend otherwise. All the boffer tag wannabees and alpha nerds going into larp threads. There were times when a larpthread on /tg/ was solely about them trying to shit on larps
>>
>>8979267
yeah but he didn't replied to my post actually, and I can't be arsed to correct everyone who is objectively wrong (although I try)

>>8979314
>how do you feel about people who train like a sport for events
no problem with it, training is part of the fun

either of them is okay as long as it's not shit and have style, not just a curtain twisted around you.

>what about hard fighting like full on tackling and grapple?
that's something that shouldn't be allowed on open games for safety reasons. I've seen way too many dislocated shoulders. And when someone is injured it also stops the game so you are ruining other peoples fun too.
It's okay if people know each other and actually trained with each other but on a big game where random guys who never tried it are allowed to grapple and tackle and wrestle there WILL be injuries
>>
>>8979135
It's in the UK and it is only 2 events a year. Would highly recommend though!
>>
>>8979706
Have been grappling in my system for 3 years, and have never seen an injury due to it, even at events of 3k+ people.

Most of the injuries i see come from either
A.) archery
B.) lack of common sense
C.) dehydration
D.) hand injuries
or
E.)concussions
>>
File: IMAG2659.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2659.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
I bought some 10mm wood sticks for making some arrows but my old ones were apparently 8mm.

Im gonna make these ones 80cm long, should I keep these for the extra stability or change them for 8mm instead? I don't know if the new arrowheads I have ordered will be balanced with these though.
>>
>>8979703
The larp i attend only allows two active characters at a time, and you can only play one per game. I'd say most people only have one character that they'll play for several years before retiring. Now that I think of it, it's a bit silly considering all the effort they put into world building.
>>
File: Diesel Jocks vs Fluffy.jpg (326KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
Diesel Jocks vs Fluffy.jpg
326KB, 750x500px
Anyone got content or opinions on Post Apocalyptic LARPS?
>>
File: witness.jpg (20KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
witness.jpg
20KB, 600x400px
>>8979982
I've only experienced Dystopia Rising in the north eastern US and its just cringey. They demand to be taken seriously and are super concerned with inclusion and avoiding racism but they litteraly have mexican laborer and "SEBUKU :DDD" japanese (mmm fucking ricefield hats on white people, every time) as races.

The combination of reddit tier retardation and nerf guns at LARP killed it for me. I am bitter about my experience there and felt like i had my time wasted.

That being said, my friend from Texas swears not all of them are like that and was surprised himself by the behavior.
>>
>>8979982
My LARP is post apoc
Its hella fun. I love nerf guns, and the options for costuming.
Most the players are mediocre. But thats every LARP I've been too. Theres groups that are great to play with and make some cool scenes.

>>8980000
Theres elements of "watch out for triggering xD"
A couple too many Trannies and "Excuse me, I'm a THEY not a he or she"
I just fucking avoid them.
[spoiler]My goddamn province is a shit show for that shit though[/spoiler]
>>
>>8980045
How do I forget theres no spoilers in this country?

I want to point out the I don't have a problem with transsexuals. I'm just sick of them fucking ruining my fun. Last season we had a guy put on a dress as a joke and make a cross dressing NPC. It was fucking funny. Then the tranny whos on Plot made a huge deal about it not being okay, with several facebook posts and a whole rant during announcements.
The part that made me the angriest is the transgirl thats in my group thought it was funny as hell. But she joined in on shit talking the one in charge.
>>
>>8979982
There's a pretty wide variety of post-apoc larps. Like, mine is technically post-apoc, but it's also fantasy, so it looks like a pretty typical sword and sorcery game with tacticool military types running around in the background and occasional pre-apocalypse survivors wearing cobbled-together sets of armor. I enjoy it well enough, although sometime I'd like to play a game that falls more solidly into either science fiction or fantasy, not both.

Then you also get zombie apocalypse larps, which often have a pretty different theme than others, lots of focus on survival and not trying to kill every enemy, but just escaping when you can.

Personally I'm a little burned out on traditional post-apocalyptic and zombie settings in general, there's just been so much of it in film and TV lately that I'm getting tired of it. So much of it is the same old thing repeatedly, and I just want to see something new.
>>
File: DSC01315.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01315.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>8979917
depend on what you count as grappling beucae I heard that for some people grappling is simply grabbing the arm of others.

Anyway I give you that that the huge majority of injures comes from outside of combat and mainly the "falling on things" and "I was such a retard I forgot to eat/drink" and stuff.
But the grapling I've experienced here was mostly the various locks and throwing people. The throwing people is what mostly ended bad, for obvious reasons.

But even that can be done safely if the participants know each other and train with each other.
>>
File: Lorin%2520k%25C3%25A9pei-96.jpg (147KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Lorin%2520k%25C3%25A9pei-96.jpg
147KB, 1600x1200px
>>8979940
which in turn creates a bigger emotional attachment to the character and one of the resons why larping is SERIOUS BUSINESS in games like that. I mean obviously it feels shit if your character dies after you played it for five years.

But on the other hand, every story needs an ending.

>>8979982
I have only first hand experience with fallout larps but even that was years ago. Five years ago to be precise
>>
>>8980287
I've done full body SPEAR contact stuff at larp before but only by prior agreement (staged fight between two generals etc). Looks epic but even with rolled steel there will be blood. But normally 95% of UK larps are against grappling/wrestling for safety reasons.
>>
>>8980287
The grappling rules we have are pretty basic. You cannot initiate a grapple if you are in armor unless their armor is the same as yours or greater(Ie Tiers, unarmored, leather, chain,plate.)

All take downs must be controlled, no pressure points, locks/bars.

So basically collegiate wrestling without any dangerous throws.

Most grapples end up looking like this:
guy rushes.
Other guy rushes back and hits them on their legs
first guy falls over
seccond guy is ontop and kills them with dagger or gets killed by random other people.
>>
>>8980408
>>8980287
I would say that armored grappling would be much more dangerous. but seeing as most everyone wears either leather or chain, i havent come across many issues.

I grapple frequently as i use a longsword, but i do not wear armor, and most of the people i grapple are those with shields and only need to be hit hard enough to get knocked over.
>>
>>8979579
...no.

It makes me sad that so many people equate viking with nazi nowadays. Guess I'll have to keep my mouth shut about enjoying viking reenactment, then.
>>
>>8980686
I'd like to hear about your experiences honestly, it sounds interesting, nothing like it in the US.

Sorry about the constant /pol/ association, vikings all too often get appropriated by stormfags and than there are folkish odinists.
>>
>>8980721
no experiences yet. I literally went to my first meetup last weekend.

Things I learned: Shields are heavy, axes are sneaky, and spears are fucking terrifying. Also, don't wear the "spectacled" helmets because those bits of metal below the eyes actually funnel the swords/spears INTO your eyes, not away.
>>
File: DSC04203.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04203.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>8980558
as I said, when it was allowed against anyone there were more throws and stuff and people ended up with dislocated shoulders and stuff.
Especially people who insisted on dagger fights.

But now it's either very restrictive "push away hands" kind of thing or you need mutual agreement.

>>8980561
armored grappling, if properly armoured, and nobody falls on the other is kind of safer. Usually the armor protects your limbs and joints to move into an unnatural position. Not always but still.

Also, finally My wax seal from cutleranon finally arrived
>>
>>8979940
We're allowed 1 character at any given time though we're free to abandon in order to make another.

You either get attached to a character or get bored as shit and let them go. Either way. Still fun.
>>
File: blast from the past.jpg (151KB, 511x644px) Image search: [Google]
blast from the past.jpg
151KB, 511x644px
gonna make my first tunic today. any tips?
>>
>>8980728
>those bits of metal below the eyes actually funnel the swords/spears INTO your eyes, not away.
Then why did the norse use them? were they just severely autistic?
>>
>>8980728
>actually funnel the swords/spears INTO your eyes

Sounds like a poorly made or misfitting helmet.

>>8981109
1:100% cotton, linen or wool only. Avoid plastics like nylons and polyester like the clap.

2: Always buy an extra yard of the fabric in question.

3: Prewash all your fabrics on the hottest water setting you can, and dry it at the highest heat setting.

4: Measure twice, cut once.
>>
>>8981114
They still work against cuts and bashes (?)

And by the way, viking helmets were inspired by middle eastern designs. You should probably ask them why they are bad.
>>
>>8981169
>implying it was not the other way around
>>
File: Vendel_era_helmet_(942).jpg (308KB, 719x1098px) Image search: [Google]
Vendel_era_helmet_(942).jpg
308KB, 719x1098px
>>8981169
>viking helmets were inspired by middle eastern designs

Which viking helmets and do you have a source for that? And which Middle-Eastern helms are we talking about?

The Gjermundbu spectacle helmet (c.980) was the latest extant example of a design that had been in use in Scandinavia since atleast the Vendel period (6th-8th). The majority of the helmets found in the Vendel/Valsgarde graves in Sweden were spectacle designs.

The Spectacle helm preceded the Viking Age by centuries yet remained in use until the end of the 10thC. The spectacle guards clearly worked well enough to be used for hundreds of years; and while it was replaced by simple nasal helms this was part of a general trend across Northern Europe moving away from helmets with facial protection (masks, spectacles, cheek flaps etc) and not any specific to spectacle helms.
>>
>>8981177
and considering that goths and vandals migrated down south...
>>
>>8980728
Not Joms, but I've played with them and know a few guys.

Shield wieght is a tricky issue. Not only do you have to factor diameter, but also thickness. My first shield was about 90cm but 11cm thick, and naturally is fairly heavy. The one that replaced is 80cm and only 9mm making it much lighter and easier to use for long periods.

It's much better to have a light round shield as they are very active in blocking and trapping your foes weapon. 80-90cm are the most common size for Viking battle shields which is a good mix of coverage and mobility but duelling shields could be far smaller, almost targe-sized. Very nimble but they only really work for duels as they are too small to protect you against multiple opponents.

Axes are great support weapons, and work best when teamed up with other weapons. Even axes without beards can be used to hook, shields and spears are particularly vulnerable and open up enemies for your team to kill. An axeman can stand in line, hooking and harrassing while the spears get the kills but able to respond if the other side tries to close the spears in a rush. Unless things descend into a chaotic melee you probably won't get many kills but they are great at control. Axes do have a disadvantage against swords though so be careful.

Spears are the master-race.
>>
>>8981189
>My first shield was about 90cm but 11cm thick
>11cm thick

holy fucking shit I hope that was a typo
>>
>>8981191
Only weak-ass faggots use thing shields! manly men carry TREES
>>
>>8981191
Yeah, I meant 11mm which is still too thick.

Although a bunch of guys who joined my group a few years ago brought along some home-made sheilds. Average thickness was 25mm. Those got replaced fast.
>>
>>8981189
the correct way to go about a shild is to use a woodworking plane, and taper it evenly, from 10mm around the boss, down to about 6-7 at the edge.

makes them handle vastly better
>>
>>8981216
I'm aware that is how it was actually done but I don't know anyone who has a tapered shield, especially for combat. I'd be really interested to see it done though.
>>
>>8981177
>moving away from helmets with facial protection (masks, spectacles, cheek flaps etc

Any reason for that? It seems strange to move away from extra coverage.
>>
>>8980000
Funnily enough that giant Dino puppet scene/picture is from a northeast DR game.

Jersey or The Mass?
>>
>>8981221
consider this: your head is the bodypart that you can protect the easiest.
Most of the ways when you hold a weapon it's protecting your head one way or another, and apart from stabs the face is protected from other sides usually. So covering the face isn't really needed apart from extreme situations (like extreme bad luck or extreme retardness)
But on the other hand covering the face makes your breathing and vision more restrictive.

And now consider this: 99% of the time when you are in your armour you aren't fighting, just waiting for the fight or marching to it.
>>
>>8981224
Like Conan always said, "fighting is thirsty work."
>>
>>8981221
I'll be honest, I don't actually know.

Up until about the 9thC, helmets with some sort of facial protection were relatively common. The Sutton Hoo helm has a full mask and cheek flaps, the Wollaston and Coppergate helms have nasals and cheekflaps. The Vendel/Valsgarde helms have a wide variety of facial protection.

However in the 9th-10thC pretty much all of these designs are replaced by nasal helms. There are a few experiments in 12thC, but it's not until enclosed helms/ proto-great helms around the turn of the 13thC that helmets regualry feature facial protection again. Although maille ventails protecting the face do also become common in the 12thC.

>>8981224
Possibly. The head overall is fairly vulnerable which is borne out by battlefield archaeology, but the face is a smaller target and with a nasal helm the head is mostly protected and the nasal gives some facial protection without hindering visibility or breathing too much.

The fact that the decline of facial protection was so complete across several cultures at the same time though is still interesting.
>>
>>8981239
change of warfare, change of weapons, etc.

In my own, uneducated opinion one of the reasons why closed helmets became more and more of a thing because shields were uses less and less with those kinde of armor (that means, shields were still a thing but if you are in full plate or something equivalent a shiled isn't a must have)
Fuckton of exceptions for that of course, and I'm mainly talking about combatants on foot. Anyway protecting the face when you have a shield is fairly easy and as I said protecting the head isn't that hard either.

The obvious problem is that the head is a prime target so mostly everyone will try to attack that (and one of the few parts where you can achieve "instant kill")
>>
>>8981169
Not /pol/ but this sounds like something a stereotypical nordicuck would tell you.

It wouldn't make sense when the goths and others, who migrated south, we're using helms just like that.
>>
>>8981222
Jersey. I have friends that go and attend the fantasy LARP they hold at the same park. Met some of the most insufferable fucking people.
>>
>>8981341
As, likely, someone insufferable, sorry you had a bad experience.
>>
>>8981581
Don't think it was your fault m8. Did you go on a 20 minute diatribe about how I am actually the racist for questioning a white girl wearing a rice hat and pronouncing her L's as R's?
>>
>>8981605
No. And I hope I never hear it, because my cited rebuttal would include a littany sanity and madness that would please some, piss off others, and ultimately due to community backlash and dogpiling would ruin what joy I take from the game.
>>
>>8981605
Sometimes, I'm glad that I am undoubtedly asian so I can make fun of folks who try and use the accent or have honrabru samurai titles
>>
>>8981189
I went along to a few meetings with a UK Jorms group, was fascinating but not really for me. So I am looking at Schola Gladatoria instead. That or get back into fencing.
>>
>>8980921
If you are wearing armor that hinders the way your limbs move you are wearing shitty armor.
>>
>>8981194
I personally recommend to have at least 9mm since stuff like screws/bolts, and nails if used, need to have some space for stability.

You also want that extra strength since wood gets pretty brittle the wider and thinner it gets.
>>
File: 1461049162288.png (22KB, 298x307px) Image search: [Google]
1461049162288.png
22KB, 298x307px
>>8979579
>>8980721
>>8981338
>/pol/
>cuck

Please. Please stop. This is the last clean place on 4chan to avoid this bullshit, meaningless meme-spew.

>>8981809
Im the same with Rennfaire gypsy types.

>>8981860
Even properly made, custom fitted stuff (such as Hungarian wears made by his fellow larpfag who happens to be a professional armourer) Will always have SOMETHING slightly inhibited. Yes, you can do cartwheels and somersaults, but you're still following a directed articulation of otherwise wide hinged joints.

For that matter, some impingement is actually desirable, such as at the knees and elbows, which prevents hyper-extension of the joint.
>>
>>8981860
Preventing your limbs from bending in directions they're not supposed to go =/= hindering movement
>>
>>8981605
>>8980000
>no one can wear a hats their culture didn't invent
Are you retarded?
>>
>>8964813
>Say no to fucking ring belts

Not challenging you, but do you have a source for that? What would have been worn in the iron age instead?
>>
File: merovingian belt naals.jpg (143KB, 1200x799px) Image search: [Google]
merovingian belt naals.jpg
143KB, 1200x799px
>>8982275
...A buckle, as was used for thousands of years before the iron age. They have been around a long time. The ring-belt BS is due to simple ring buckles of bronze and gold, with iron tongues. The tongue will rust away, leaving only a ring.

If you want to be a special snowflake, you can use a tied belt, or a naalhook.
>>
File: ss+(2016-04-28+at+12.05.25).jpg (40KB, 602x452px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-04-28+at+12.05.25).jpg
40KB, 602x452px
>>8982297
I don't know why, but for some reason I got confused and thought you were referring to any belt that you tie in a knot after buckling it. Please forgive me for being fucking stupid.

pic related is what I have.
>>
>>8982271
>>no one can wear a hats their culture didn't invent
>Are you retarded?
I don't have a problem with people pretending to be a culture they aren't for the sake of a game. I have a problem with people sperging over inclusion and sensitivity towards others, but than acting out stereotypes.

This is a system where post apocalyptic japs are a thing, they call them gaijin, "foreigner".

They do get special bonuses including an extra life tag. Pretty cool right? They have to use that extra life tag to say goodbye to their friends and then fucking kill themselves. Get it? Sebuku XDDD

I don't give a fuck if people want to experience or recreate things from a culture, and hell, jokes are funny. I have a problem with some 20 something from long island who has to ask mommy for event money and plays a stereotype passing it off as honoring aspects of a culture.
>>
>>8982302
You are absolved of your sin. Go with Slaanesh, and commit better sins.
>>
>>8982303
>but than acting out stereotypes.
>This is a system where post apocalyptic japs are a thing, they call them gaijin, "foreigner".
Sounds more like weeaboo remnants...
>>
>>8981860
what I meant is that armor most of the time doesn't allow your limbs to go into directions they aren't supposed to go. This way they are preventing dislocated joints and such to some degree.
There are always a few exceptions, for example my mitten gauntlets have a better range of motion to one direction than my fingers, but on the other hand nearly zero to the sides, so if someone would try to break my fingers to the side he would have a really hard time if I were wearing my gauntlets.

Also armor does restrict movement, but we tend to say properly made armor doesn't restrict movement because it doesn't restrict the movements you need to use in a fight if you are wearing armor. It's harder or impossible to touch your hands behind your back, and stuff like that, fine motion is also pretty much hindered in a gauntlet, but you don't need that either in a fight.
There are some unarmored fighting guards that you can't properly use in some armor (depending on a gauntlet and arm armour) but those either unneccesaery when you are armoured or have an armoured counterpart
>>
File: BobBobnovich.jpg (46KB, 685x960px) Image search: [Google]
BobBobnovich.jpg
46KB, 685x960px
also in the meantime:
This weekend there will be a hunger games larp here. One of the mechanics in the game is used actually before the game. On the facebook page of the game the contestants short interview is posted and the character that gets the most likes will have various advantage during the game that the "sponsors" send to them.

This brings us to the following thing:

SHAMELESS SELF ADVERTISEMENT!

The character Bob Bobnovich needs more likes so he can win this sponsor contest. He is very optimistic, has a cute boyish smile and with that same smile he will dickstab people to the death if enough sponsors vote for him.
Vote for Bob with your (facebook) like so he can dickstab everyone!
that tinyurl site with /BobBobnovich

END OF SHAMELESS SELF ADVERTISEMENT!

Anyway it during the whole week it rained so far so there will be a lot of mud and seems like it will rain during the game too. Fun times.
>>
>>8982437
I mean, weeaboo *is* based on stereotypes. Just "flattering" ones instead of unflattering.
>>
>>8982907
Im just saying that I could easily imagine a weeaboo faction in the postapocalyptic future.
But Idunno if the event organizers are that clever.
>>
>>8982876
I don't even like those books but this sounds fun.
>>
>>8982912
I didn't read any of the books.
But the larp is basically that you start with nothing just your cloths (and not too much of those either) and then there are larp weapons hidden around the site plus water food, blankets matches and various other stuff too so you can survive.
If people survive until the night then monsters can come too. to make it more interesting.

Anyway the basic gist of this that you go in with nothing and have to find ways to kill the other guys in a larpsafe way
>>
>>8982916
Makes sense. How do they simulate traps? Do it Assassin style? Like, you find a tin of vaseline with a card saying "this is contact poison, put it on something and if somebody touches it, they're poisoned."
>>
>>8982921
trust based sstem basically. Not much traps sadly though. But if there is some loud pyrotechnic somewhere were you step then you should act accordingly, etc.
It's more about ambushes as you can't really do a larpsafe trap with nothing on hand.

But makeshift weapons are acceptable. Like there are larpsafe rocks all around the site, so if you tie a rope to them you can have flail and stuff like that (or you can just twist it into a cloth or something)
>>
>>8982876
Liked. You should type up your interview for us that don't understand magyar.
>>
>>8982965
earghlb..... I will try that, hope it won't be too boring (it's kind of boring and reflects on some other stuff that either happened on a previous game or kind of connected to the other players)
>>
>>8982965
>Dear Bob, let me welcome you! How do you feel among us?
Thank you for the question, it's quite fantastic, I think I can start the Game quite optimistic.

>A lot of people wondered, why did you actually signed up as a tribute? Some whispered that there is a connection between you and the previous Game's attender from District 7. who also signed up as a tribute.
I would be lying if say that I didn't followed Nelsons Game, but I have to add that at the end he had a different goal.
I believe that this is an opportunity so that the worthy can raise above their own limits. Nelson thought that he has nothing to lose, I on the other hand have everything to win.

>That's a nice viewpoint, but you have to admit that you aren't in the same league as the careerists
Obviously, I wouldn't even dream about that. But I would like to show to my District that if we play our cards right we could have at least as many winners as the other districts. And a lot of Games proved that skill and training alone isn't enough to win. The mindset and an opportunistic attitude is just as important.

>So those are your most important qualities?
Naturally. I had to solve my problems in life, and made me realize that the proper mindset is the most important thing. And I had a big amount of luck too.

>This is a very optimistic behaviour
I couldn't act like a loser, can I?

>True, ture. What do you think about the other players?
We had little time to really know each other, but nobody made much effort about it either. Only one can remain at the end obviously. But I hope they realize that teamwork is the msot important thing at the start. And the sponsors like drama and teamwork more than watching a dozen lone wolf

[cont]
>>
>>8983022

>If I understand correctly one of your goals to get on the good side of the sponsors
Well, I won't win only by my physique. Haha!

>I can't condemn you for your tactic, you wouldn't be the first to win like this. Do you have a message for the viewers?
If I win their trust I can promise this will be a spectacular Game!

>Ladies and Gentlemen, Bob Bobnovich from District 7.!
>>
>>8982437
>>8982907
>>8982907
>>8982910
Its still my goal to rll up with a bunch folks to a Post-Apoc game, as a "Kingdom" of Larp/Hema/SCA folks trying to make the best of post apocalypse.

>>8982876
I did my part!
>>
>>8983070
Bob will dickstab someone in your name
>>
>>8983088
>Kickstarter backer tier 6: All of the previous backing rewards, plus we'll whisper "___ Sends his reguards" as a man bleeds out from a severed femoral artery!
>>
>>8983099
it's a thing now
>>
>>8983099
>>8983118
YES!

>>8983022
>>8983026
Thank you kindly.

On other fronts, I have decided I'm going to pick up a 3m canvas bell tent for IC sleeping at Empire. They are pricey, but the comfort, and being able to camp on the IC field (less distance to stagger too at 4am) makes it worth while.
>>
>>8983132
especially when you can FUCKING STAND UP IN YOUR TENT, that's when you know that it worth the money
>>
>>8983154
I know, it's so fucking good. I usually share one with a friend, but decided I wanted my own. Going for this http://soulpad.co.uk/products/soulpad-3000-hybrid
Being able to roll the sides up in summer is awesome.
>>
>>8983175
looks good although as with any other proper tent, transportation is a bitch
>>
>>8983205
Yeah. Luckily, one of my friends has an large estate car, and me, her and one other travel down (6-7 hour drive) in that. We fill the boot and one side of the rear seat with kit.
We also have a friend with a camper-van who fills it with folks kit in return for petrol money.
Fuck trying to take it on public transport.
>>
>>8983212
tell me about it. I travel by train to drachenfest and doesn't bring a tent because all the other shit fills up the space and the weight limit I can handle.
Then again, the LK camp provides me a tent there so there is that.
>>
also we are fucking deep in autosage so here is a new thread

>>8983272
Thread posts: 342
Thread images: 107

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.