[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Joann/ Yaya Fabric General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 15

File: tumblr_nw3ziu1TEE1ql1zwyo1_500.jpg (119KB, 500x507px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nw3ziu1TEE1ql1zwyo1_500.jpg
119KB, 500x507px
Got the next wave at my store and here's my reviews
>>
File: 20160228_152935.jpg (68KB, 507x901px) Image search: [Google]
20160228_152935.jpg
68KB, 507x901px
>Matte Spandex

Super thick and great overall look. None of that weird fiber sheen you get with Joann's current Performance Spandex
>>
File: 20160228_153002.jpg (78KB, 507x901px) Image search: [Google]
20160228_153002.jpg
78KB, 507x901px
>Low Stretch Ultrapreme

The rest of the colors that go with the same set as the infamous blue cancer fabric. Not sure why it came out before the others. Either way great look and satin metallic sheen. These would be great for armors.
>>
File: 20160228_153048.jpg (46KB, 507x901px) Image search: [Google]
20160228_153048.jpg
46KB, 507x901px
>>8889683
A stretched version of the silver
>>
And all the inb4s

>inbf Yaya white knight a lot of the fabrics are still weird crap
>inbf overpriced it's the same as other stores with the same material if you use your coupons right
>>
>>8889683
I LOVE these honestly
>>
Kinda looks like Jo Ann's put out the least favorable first to gauge reaction putting the nicer stuff later.
>>
>>8889683
Looked at these last time I was at Joann's (few days ago) and they look really nice.
>>
Googled "joann fabric cosplay" and something called Cosplay Social appears but 404s if you click it. Maybe a future class event? I'd be genuinely curious to check it out at least once

http://www.joann.com/cosplay-social/12542379.html
>>
>>8889680
Oh man. This would be good for a vault suit. How much is that a yard?
>>
File: fdghgfh.jpg (113KB, 1025x638px) Image search: [Google]
fdghgfh.jpg
113KB, 1025x638px
>>8889742
It was a "class" that you can take from selected JoAnn stores where it was basically a cosplay-themed social meet for kids.

Class description
>"Start new costumes or finish projects, while receiving helpful tips and socializing with others"
>"Supplies are required for this class, click on the supplies tab to download the supply list. The list will also be emailed to you after registration."

I guess it wasn't popular enough so it has been removed.
>>
File: CcIB7ERUcAAo6s4.jpg large.jpg (104KB, 1024x644px) Image search: [Google]
CcIB7ERUcAAo6s4.jpg large.jpg
104KB, 1024x644px
Cosplay Fabrics are the March feature at JoAnn so everything have been moved onto the rounder kiosks in the middle of the store. It's pretty awful, since the bolts are quite heavy and my god every time kids and teens come in, they scream it's for cosplay and drape and wrap themselves in the fabrics. Things have fallen off because of that.

>>8889821
Matte spandex is $19.99/yd regular price, can take coupons.
>>
>>8889683

Saw the gold in person as they were unloading it off the cart and it's really nice. It's hard to find a stretch gold that isn't super shiny. It's definitely still overpriced but I'd use it for trims and such.
>>
>>8889683
These actually look potentially pretty nice and useful. Sucks about the JoAnn's stupid pricing games, but at least the website/phone scanning for coupons is a huge improvement over having to print them out.
>>
>>8889742
>>8889826
This is in the store in upper NY. I went there and an employee that is 'established in cosplay' pitched the idea and is hosting it according to the worker that told me about it. I nodded and left wondering what kind of shit show it might be. I think the name was Audacity Cosplay or something
>>
File: CcIB6sZUcAA0x2r.jpg large.jpg (147KB, 1024x587px) Image search: [Google]
CcIB6sZUcAA0x2r.jpg large.jpg
147KB, 1024x587px
>>8889831
>>8889903
If anyone is interested in buying the stuff, I'd recommend getting it now before the 25% sale starts mid-March. I don't know how long the sale for go on for, but it's obviously a worse deal than using a 40% or 50% off coupon.

I've also heard that stores are getting only one bolt of each. I doubt anyone is really going to buy much of the brocades/metallic scales stuff, but the black/red pleathers and spandexes may go fast.
>>
>>8889945
i'm sure they will go fast

after all, a fool and their money are soon parted
>>
>>8889683
ngl i'm mildly interested in the dilver and gold.....but i really wish there was a high shine/chrome version also.....most shiny gold fabric has black undertones, and it's impossible to find shiny bright yellow gold fabric. i've swatched a lot looking for that effect and it's almost nonexistent.
>>
>>8889742
>>8889826
>>8889914
ngl, i was kind of thinking about asking my local store if they'd like to have a little class on "how to make costumes" for total newbs.....run it kind of like an intro costuming panel at cons (how to break down something complex into parts, fabric selection, etc). i don't know how many people in my area would be into this though...but fanime is coming up and this might be a good time to do it.
>>
>>8890024
JoAnn is generally willing to offer that sort of stuff as long as there is a teacher for it, and the teacher can be anyone from the community or a store staff member. If you are able to point the store to a willing teacher, then it's likely they can offer the "class".
>>
Hey guys, I work at JoAnn, ask me about the dark secrets you've always wanted to know.
>>
>>8890118
Do the matte spandex fabric take well to dyes? I want to have a sort of golden-yellow look to a bodysuit without the gaudy shimmer of actual gold fabric
>>
>>8890118
I seek the Keeper of the End who can unravel the twisted mysteries of deepest horror and unlock the doors of madness held shut by the screams of nightmares and unleash my lord and unholy savior Shub-Niggurath upon this world.

Will I find that in Home Decor or Utility?
>>
>>8890124
My guess is any poly dye should do it
>>
>>8890136
Comedy aside that's not really a sewing project at all. That's casting and rubber bodysuits and you should go to the RPF for stuff like that.
>>
>>8890124
Secret #1: they don't actually teach us anything about fabrics or sewing. We're the same grade of asshole who flips your burgers at McDonald's, so whenever you ask an employee in-store about something like this, there's a good chance they'll just pull an answer out of their ass. (Some employees DO know a lot about sewing, but your mileage may vary. Be cautious.)

ANYWAY I actually can say this with authority: it depends. Cotton/spandex blends will take dyes pretty well because you can use cold water dye methods on them. Other spandex blends would be tough to make work because they'd usually require a boiling water dye method which would fuck up the spandex in the process.
>>
>>8890124
The polyester part should if you used a polyester-specific dye, but I don't know about the spandex content of the fabric (25%). The other thing I'm afraid of is that heat/hot water involved in dyeing may cause the fabric to warp irreparably.
>>
>>8890145
>same grade of asshole who flips your burgers at McDonald's
The difference is that JoAnn employees are paid even less.
>>
File: holder.jpg (79KB, 500x1600px) Image search: [Google]
holder.jpg
79KB, 500x1600px
>>8890136
Do this.
>>
>>8890031
yeah, i figured if i offered myself as a teacher they'd be game to do it. i've helped run this kind of panel at cons before so it wouldn't be difficult to prepare something for the general public.

i just don't know what kind of draw this would have in my area....salinas CA is my local store.
>>
>>8890118
Got any horror stories from customers? Cosplayers or other wise. I can just imagine newby coslpay weebs wrecking havock in a Joanns.
>>
>>8890382
WE'RE GOING SHOPPING
SHOPPING WITH MONEY WE DON'T HAZ
>>
Metalic finish PEELS off of the fabrics leaving a nasty stretch knit under it.
Colors easily rub off

my friends store has had every single piece of that fabric that has been bought returned to the store
>>
>>8890391
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIywnvQpS9c
>>
>>8890382
Not TOO many weebs, surprisingly! We get a lot of teenage Superwholocks, but they're mostly harmless beyond sometimes saying cringey Superwholock shit.

Awhile ago this middle-aged lady came in to buy stuff for a LoL cosplay and said the best thing I've ever heard: "I'm a cool mom... A cosplay mom!"

Most of the actual bad customers are soccer moms and elderly ladies. They ALWAYS raise hell and/or threaten to sue when they can't use an expired coupon. And for some reason they consistently ask extremely vague questions. I'm not sure why.
Like today someone came in and asked, "I need those needles with the thing that starts with "M". Where are those?" I don't know, man! There's also only so much we can do with a question like "I saw this fabric with dots on it. I don't remember what color it is. Do you still have it?"
>>
>>8890411
That foam is $34.99 a yard. A roll that big is literally more than my entire paycheck. I hope they had a coupon.

(HANDICAPPED SPOT 8DD)
>>
>>8890471
Fursuits aren't cheap, anon.
Also they said right at the beginning they were having a 50% sale on the foam.
>>
>>8890382
Cosplayers are generally pretty great people since they're happy to find other people who recognize what they're working on. It's pretty common to have younger people picking out quilting cotton and broadcloth for every last element of their ballgown costume and I try to point them to something better, but usually it's because of their limited budget and experience and I don't try to push it.

Now the problematic customers are those who don't see retail workers as human and get quite upset when asked to take a number for service or told that a certain cut, task, or [insert unreasonable request] cannot be done. I've had people who let their kids run wild, march into the back stock room, go up ladders, and don't respond when their number is called (gee, I wonder where the kids learned their lack of respect and self-control from). And the coupon-grubbers, people who absolutely must use a coupon or get a deal. What matters to them is not the amount of money they save, it's that they MUST get things their way.

Then there are people who give up on their fabric purchases by stuffing the wad of fabric and cutting slip into some corner of the store and walking away for employees to find the stash the next day or even months later.
>>
>>8889700
That seems like a terrible marketing strategy though?

Oh wait it's Joann so that's probably why they did it
>>
File: xprd285503.jpg (260KB, 488x553px) Image search: [Google]
xprd285503.jpg
260KB, 488x553px
>>8890402
Yeah if it's this crappy stuff but this has been at JoAnn for awhile, isn't part of the Yaya collection and is part of why there was a push to get the good stuff in stores in the first place.
>>
>>8890402
i secretly hope this is true. anyone have pics?
>>
>>8890488
It's rough meeting a cosplayer in the wild because it's pretty hard to gauge up front whether they're the good kind, okay kind or just plain crazy kind.
>>
>>8890024
are you in the bay area? i'd be interested in attending because i'm complete shit at fabric selection and I usually have my friends help me choose fabric in return for pattern advice.
>>
>>8890402
Is this true? I might buy 1/8th of a yard of the fabric to test it out.
>>
>>8890118
Can you tell when someone is buying stuff for a cosplay project? What are the tells?

I dress very yuppie, but then I ask someone two yards of lace, a half yard of satin, and two yards of pique, and when the cutting person asks me what I'm making I awkwardly blurt out that I'm making a sundress. Or I buy eight yards of gold trim and when asked say that I'm embellishing ballet costumes.
>>
>>8890402
Photo proof? The reviews I've read have said they can be stretched to high heaven. I'll laugh if this is true but you need to provide some evidence.
>>
>>8890646
Usually yes. If someone is buying weird-ass fabric and also has blue hair and arm warmers or whatever, I just assume. Also, plenty of people tell me! As a weeb myself, I'm more interested in hearing about cosplays than 83,642 fleece tie blankets.

There's really no reason to lie about what you're making, unless you just don't feel like explaining it to the 85 year old lady at the cutting counter. Plenty of people tell us about shit WAY more embarrassing than costumes, so we're not going to judge you (unless you say you're making a loli Sasuke).
>>
>>8890945
> Plenty of people tell us about shit WAY more embarrassing than costumes

Now I'm curious
>>
>>8890411
I remember that I used to love this video. It's beyond cringey, but I was just so charmed by how happy they are.
>>
>>8890646
>Can you tell when someone is buying stuff for a cosplay project? What are the tells?
Almost certainly. The tell-tale signs:
>You're not buying quilting prints
>You're not buying fleece
>You're not buying flannel
>You're not buying anything with a print, really
>You're buying solids
>You're young
>Or you're old enough to be a mom or grandma and clutching a reference picture that your daughter/granddaughter passed you, and looking semi-confused

>If you're buying many yards of solid fleece, you're probably making a kigurumi suit
>>
>>8890508
i'm nearer to monterey bay....i used to frequent the morgan hill joann's until salinas got their own store.
>>
>>8890118
Do you know when things are going to be on sale/when they're going to be taken off of sale pricing? Currently waiting for a good pattern sale (I did nab a Mccalls one last week, but my store didn't have a lot of what I wanted) and for Casa collection fabric to not be 30% off.
>>
>>8891482
We get told about sales ~2 weeks before they happen, so basically the same time as people who subscribe to the mailers.The mailers and signage in-store should also have the end date of the sales.
>>
>>8891482
I wanna know when/if casa satin 70% off comes back it's been a year
>>
>>8891043
Stripper clothes. Customer almost made some quilting grannies faint with that one.
>>
>>8891514
...we don't work at the same Jo-Ann, do we? I had someone doing stripper clothes just a few days ago. She had like three different people including her /actual grandma/ come inside to help her pick things out.
>>
>>8890402
Protip: I've used many different metallic spandex (none of Yaya's yet) and all the ones that aren't dot-printed mystique spandex will peel of at the edges (mystique is printed in a different way and isn't a true, solid foil metallic) . That's the way that true metallics spandex get the foily shiny surface, you dolts. They all peel at the selvage edges. Most people have the common sense not to deliberately pick it off as to not tear apart and ruin their fabrics.
And the metallics always fade/rub off too.
Supergirl/Phoenix cosplayers probably already know this from experience.
They lose their luster dreadfully quick, annoyingly.

I've used a variety of qualities, from walmart's shoddy metallics to high quality $20/yd gorgeous gold from my local fabric district to others in between and they all do both the peel and the fade.
That's just the nature of the beast that is metallic foil spandex.
>>
>>8891587
Nah, I worked at a Hancock's years ago. A costume-maker who did styling and costumes at local strip joints would send her (blatantly ex-con) husband in for fabric on a regular basis. The first time I got the nerve up to ask him what this stuff was for, the old ladies behind him in the line got super flustered.
>>
http://elfgrove.tumblr.com/post/138957374298
>>
>>8892064
Is this dubious bullshit still going around?
>>
>>8891482
Yes, it's in the monthly planner released in the month before. It's a fat stack for March and the only part I have memorized is the rounder layout and Cosplay Fabrics.

You can easily ask any JoAnn employee with a handheld scanner to scan a fabric and ask for what the future pricing date is and the future price. The date/price will cover up to the next price change, up to about 2 weeks out.

>>8891510
The planner is in your employee portal.
>>
>>8892064
Almost all fabrics are treated with formaldehyde before shipping to store for preservation. The older ladies in the store always warn the younger girls working to wash after the job. Are people really not pre-washing their fabric in any way before putting it on their skin?
>>
>>8891511
>casa satin 70% off
This usually happens in the spring, should happen again soon as they like to do it right before prom.
>>
>>8891043
I have to deal with a lot of customers telling me more information than I'd like about the re-usable menstrual pads they're making and I'm deeply troubled by the fact that they usually only buy fleece and flannel to make them, no waterproof lining or anything.
>>
>>8893279
I have ladies come in and buy like 20-50 cuts of fabric for this stuff and they send them to Africa and other impoverished places. It's impossible to sell remnants to them and boy are they sticklers for exact amounts so that there's "no waste" or "paying for more than they need". They're doing a nice thing, but I don't get why they're so curt to the workers.
>>
>>8893279

>flannel

I can feel the little bits of fluff clinging to my lady bits as I go through the day. No thanks.
>>
>>8892394
People will be buying stuff for baby blankets and tell me they're not going to prewash it... I try to warn them without totally scaring them off but they tend to blow me off

poor babies
>>
>>8890646
If they look like a weeb or are buying weird stuff, I usually assume

I really don't understand why cosplayers are so dodgy about hididng what they're making from the employees. It's so mainstream now, and we're pushing cosplay stuff all over the store now. Sometimes I ask nervous looking cosplayers about what they're making just for kicks
>>
>>8893285
>They're doing a nice thing, but I don't get why they're so curt to the workers
in my experience, they're curt because they strongly believe that because they're doing a nice thing, they get to be rude and should be treated like precious snowflakes.
>>
>>8893285
I have a customer who also does that that for some reason makes a huge deal every time about specifically needing white cozy flannel because no other color will suffice to sop up vaginal blood by some African woman who could not give less of a shit about it. I also have a woman who buys enough fleece (in one go) to fill a huge H-cart for those garbage no-sew throws, and she is slowly destroying my soul with each bolt of fabric.
>>
>>8889945
You are so lucky your store is clipping the fabrics, we have to double drape the entire cosplay collection, which means I find at least five bolts of half-way un-draped fabrics laying in the floor of that section at any given moment in the day.
>>
>>8893324
I'm not up front about cosplay when fabric shopping since half the clerks at my store are young weebs and I don't want to deal with that.
I just want to go in, get my fabrics and not have to deal with them.
I've given in a couple times though and now I feel awkward when I see those employees since they fangirled over me and look at me like we're friends since we had a couple conversations. Trouble is, as with most randoms you see once every couple months, I don't recall what we talked about so it's just uncomfortable. Plus now at least one of them follows my twitter so I guess it's super weird for them to see me in-store after having a lot more info about me than I do about them.

Just an awkward situation all around.
>>
>>8893818

>"fangirled over me"
Whatever helps you sleep at night, anon.
>>
>>8893878
I'm not saying I'm a big deal, I'm saying that these are young, easily impressed teens who are floored by my ability to style a wig and don't know any better.
I overheard them recently talking about buying 2 yds of tulle to make a full Rose Quartz gown (but worried that that would be too much fabric).
>>
>>8893937
Eh, just let them be. They'll either learn from the results or simply enjoy the hobby for what it is. Most people go through that young and excitable stage when they're starting out.
>>
File: elvis.png (149KB, 1116x1050px) Image search: [Google]
elvis.png
149KB, 1116x1050px
>>8890382
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I absolutely love Jo-ann horror stories threads, and this person's story is my favorite ever. I hope it brings you as much joy as it does me.
>>
>>8893279
I didn't know DIY pads were an actual thing.
>>
>>8895239
Yeah some people use cloth reusable pads that you have to wash like cloth diapers. They probably use them more in third world countries because waste management is poor to non existent so charities sending girls disposable pads is unideal
>>
>>8893324
It's awkward to me because I've gone through the conversation enough times of "what are you making?" "it's *character from this anime* you know it?" "oh no I haven't heard of that one" *silence for the rest of the cutting*. If it's like a month or two before a con, and they ask if I'm going, I'll go through with it because then we can just talk about the event itself, but usually we're both too introverted to carry on a conversation.

I did have an employee try to out me once I think. I was dressed totally normally but was also wearing circle lenses, and I was getting spandex (a while ago so not yayas) for honestly making swimwear. She stopped in the middle of cutting and stared adjusting her LoZ triforce necklace and bracelet. Like holding her arm out over the table to mess with the leather strap and kept looking back and forth at me. Her apron was also made of the Wind Waker print fabric they had. It wasn't creepy or anything, just an encounter.
>>
>>8894731
thank you
>>
File: Ccv80g5Uk.jpg (161KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Ccv80g5Uk.jpg
161KB, 1024x768px
Has anyone's Yaya Han Cosplay Fabric in metallic spandex come in looking like this? Is this a feature or a defect?
>>
>>8897304
Metallic fabrics in general tend to peel/rub off

It looks like the gold rubbed off a bit onto the silver
>>
>>8897369
The fabric is dark blue and these marks were present throughout the entire bolt. The bolt was unpacked looking like this and I'm unhappy that I might have to write all 8 yards off as a manufacturer's defect.
>>
>>8891043
Decorative pasties.
>>
>>8889677
>Giving a literal whore attention.
>>
>>8897456
....oh no, I might have to damage out a bolt of fabric. Not like this never happens. Oh woe is me. Life is so hard.
>>
>>8892011

Are you the anon that used to tell the story about the super confused huge dude buying sparkly stuff and sequined appliqué to make into pasties, and when you asked him he blurted out "My wife makes stripper clothes!" Really excitedly? I love that story.
>>
>>8898723
Anon is just trying to figure out if something is ok or not. There is no reason for you to be getting offended.
>>
>>8898723
It's drilled into employees to reduce store shrink as much as possible, even if it doesn't come out of their paycheck.

Also it's disappointing to know that manufacturing QC isn't too good. This can't be the first or last bolt of Yaya Han to wind up unusable.
>>
>>8898843
Depending on the store, it does come out of your paycheck. At the end of my 90 day probation period, I received perfect scores for all assessments. I received no pay raise because our shrink was too high (shitty area, lots of theft and check fraud).

Likewise, my ASM had perfect assessment at her yearly review. They gave her a raise of 5 cents. Not a single person in that store made more than $8.75 an hour other than the GM who was salaried.
>>
>>8894731

if that old lady had red hair in cornrows, I'd say that was my grandmother
>>
this is going to be a dumb question but ive never shopped for fabric in my life.
whats the best way to tackle on the coupon situation when getting fabric at joanns so that i can save the most out of my trip.
i plan on buying at least 3 different types of fabric. can i apply different coupons to each of them?
for instance, theres a coupon for 50% off fabric specifically and then one for 40% off any item (which includes fabric). can i use one of them for one piece of fabric and the other coupon for the other piece?
>>
>>8899404
You can use multiple coupons in a transaction. Each cut of fabric counts as one item. As long as it isn't already on sale you can usually use them.
>>
>>8899407
thanks. the "cannot combine with any other coupon" disclaimer kinda threw me off but im guessing that applies to trying to make it 90% off by using a 50% and a 40% coupon
>>
File: Vest.jpg (112KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
Vest.jpg
112KB, 720x960px
I actually made a Vest out of Yaya's Brocade fabric. Turned out pretty nice. It cut well and sewed really nicely but it did fray... though I think it's just the kind of fabric it is.

Oh and you could use a 50% off coupon on the fabric. Without the coupon I would have spent 90 bucks for everything on the vest, with the Coupon(s) I spent about 39 bucks
>>
>>8899486
Yeah. You can't use them on stuff that's already on sale, or when you use a 20% off total purchase, everything will be 20% off except for the items you used the single item coupons on.
>>
>>8899505

is that a cat shaped neck pillow on your desk?
>>
>>8899407
I'm such a dumb idiot I never realized this. Sometimes I'd go to joann's two days in a row to use two coupons too!
>>
>>8899935
The only time I've done that is when they have coupons on the website. Since the website coupon is the same for everybody, it can be used on a different transaction.
>>
>>8898854
Just curious, where is your store located? Mine is North Chicagoland area, so minimum is $8.25/h.
I'm a PTKH, and I earn $9.25/h and an extra $.50 when I'm MOD (so every night).
Are you a TM or in management?
>>
>>8901298
Not that anon, but I make $11/hr, which I heard is more than my MODs make (who are my superiors...). I tried to haggle for $12/hr.
>>
>>8901298
Texas. I was likewise PTKH, but didn't get paid extra for being MOD, and frequently got screamed at for going over 25 hours (even when scheduled 30). Policy change, perhaps?

This was also about five years ago, so I'm sure the wage has gone up, but minimum wage was $7.75 at the time for Texas or something like that. All regular employees made minimum, shift leaders/KH' wages varied (I was the highest paid because the idiot GM was impressed with my resume; this led to some resentment with the other shift leaders later on when they found out through corporate).

I've posted some stories before, but our GM was fucking incompetent, which led to a lot of our non-theft shrink. She'd always forget to price out things that were being pulled, so customers would get crazy impossible deals. Like sewing machines that rang up for a penny one time.
>>
>>8901581
Nope. I was wrong. It was $7.25 at the time according to google, and still is. hahahaha

I only stuck around for six months, it was so shit.
>>
>>8901581
>Like sewing machines that rang up for a penny one time
You're kidding me, that's pretty bad. I think things in my store just go to clearance and then Past Discard, where the register will just refuse to make the sale.
>>
>>8901595
So I've just realised I'm an idiot. And didn't say that I wasn't at JoAnn's because the terms are all the same. Hopefully, their shrink-to-raise policy wasn't the same (I kind of doubt it though; other retail jobs I had were similar), but that explains why MODs get paid extra for those shifts.

So to clarify points that were cloudy:
I was PTKH for a Hancock's in a ghettoass part of Houston. Our store was pretty old and shit. Our registers were way outdated. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that the terminals didn't work the same as other locations, but who knows.

Anyway. Happened with fabric a lot, too. She would get the list of things from corporate to pull to send back or destroy, and never give it to us. So we'd have to honour the penny per yard it would ring up as.

I bitched about her more than once to our regional manager, but she was still the GM the last time I went back to visit (which was over two years ago). My ASM also thought the GM might be complicit in a check fraud ring that was hitting our area, because she got photos from corporate of the guys pulling the scam, and never told us. So they hit us two or three more times before anyone caught on (which happened to be me, and led to a lot of ranting at corporate).
>>
>>8901617
Most of our decent discards wind up in charity. My manager busts her butt trying to get everything shipped off to a local charity and I'm sure the kids are enjoying a boatload of Jennifer Garner-branded craft projects.
>>
>>8902225
>Jennifer Garner-branded craft projects.
Saw these over the summer and decided to look them up. Holy shit $25 for a wood box, a couple paints and stencils? $50 for cloth, tie dye and a hoop to make a fort thing? The only people getting these would be rich parents who can't figure out how to put together the same kit for $5 no wonder it's on clearance/charity

I wish more managers were like those. One of my Joann friends says they even have to destroy expensive Prismacolor pencils and smash mugs when its time to get them off shelves
>>
>>8902577
That's not uncommon in retail. I forget which brand it was but some fast fashion chain got in trouble because they slashed thousands of product and threw them in a dumpster as opposed to donating them to charity. I know GameStop or at least some locations will scratch up/destroy games when they can't move them. Same thing with grocery stores and the like - my father works at a wholesale club and sometimes in the break room they will get food that is legally out of code. So, for example, baked goods that had a shelf date that had past but is still technically good food. Dunkin Donuts also throws away all the leftover donuts at the end of the day, I've heard stories of some people being able to come before closing and getting the workers to give them the product. I also know a friend whose mom used to work at Panera Bread, I remember one time in high school she shared a shit load of leftover goodies from the end of the day.

It's incredibly wasteful and it pains me to think about all the perfectly fine product that gets destroyed. Sage for OT.
>>
File: 20160219_174936-1.jpg (4MB, 2136x2341px) Image search: [Google]
20160219_174936-1.jpg
4MB, 2136x2341px
>> be tailor/costume maker by trade
>> see yaya han brand
>> waits for death's soft subtle hand to violently and slowly kill me

When you order a large roll (yes like the pipes the upholstery fabrics come on) from a whole sale company here in America like i do you can order 2 sizes that gives you a discount 60yd and 100yd for regular tricot (4 way stretch) at 10yd it's like 8-9$ 60 about 7 and 100 about 6$.

So see it this way Joann's has paid to use her name on a line of material she's willing to endorse for (most likely) royalties and is buying that fabric in bulk from TAIWAN or CHINA where they can afford to pay for huge bulk at steep prices just to throw out a number of how cheap material can be you can find some as low as $.50/yd (crappier is cheaper) at maybe 10,000yd min. Yaya helped joann's butt rape cosplayers. Yes shipping over seas is expensive and fabric can start to weight a lot fast but tell me WHY is it 20$ a yard compared to their regular spandex at 18$ a yard.

What kills me is all this hipe that Yaya is a kin to a goddess descended from her golden throne to help her peasant like subjects with new innovative fabrics. This same quality has existed since the 80's (i assumed helping with the family business, dance wear making) and have held the same type of fabrics in my hands since i was a kid. Yes it hasn't been easily accessible for normal people off the street to buy the same type but it is nothing new.

(Pic related it's good quality matrix)
>>
File: zprd_14727580aALT5.jpg (379KB, 800x907px) Image search: [Google]
zprd_14727580aALT5.jpg
379KB, 800x907px
>>8902577
The latest hot but overpriced item in my store has been these little wool yarn skeins. They're super cute and the sample products look nice, but they're $15/each and perpetually "on sale" for $13.49...and people have been buying them. Each little ball can only make like half of a baby sweater.

Meanwhile in the fabric department, I've been working to get people to buy the Cosplay Fabrics stuff and usually they do comply when they see that it's only about $3 more expensive than the performance fabric for some items.
>>
>>8902577
>>8902588
I worked in a grocery store, and one of the women who worked in the bakery was fired for taking home a loaf of bread that was out of date. She obviously did it all the time, but got caught just that once, and was immediately sacked.

Retail is fucking wasteful overall.

Sage for not fabric related.
>>
>>8902715
I don't mind the size, because yarn is usually sold in 50g skeins here (with some exceptions like sock yarn or those huge skeins of cheap acryllic that nobody buys).
But that price! I could get 3 skeins of 100% alpaca wool for what they charge for this merino.
>>
>>8902588
There's a good Samaritan law passed by Clinton that absolves retailers of liability when they donate food in good faith, but people still very commonly think "AMERICANS SUE EVERYBODY THESE DAYS YEW CAN'T JUST GIVE FOOD TO THE HOMELESS THEY'LL SUE YOU FOR EVERY PENNY YEW GOT IF THEY GET SICK"
Thread posts: 113
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.