[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WonderCon 2016!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

File: Featured_WonderCon_LA.jpg (34KB, 665x365px) Image search: [Google]
Featured_WonderCon_LA.jpg
34KB, 665x365px
WonderCon 2016 is about a month away! so tell me gulls:

>How do you feel the new location will effect photoshoots?
(Anaheim has more greenery which makes photos more aesthetically pleasing, IMO)
>How do you feel about switching to the LA Convention Center?
(if it's anything like AX, dear lord the parking is going to be a nightmare!)
>Was it harder to find a hotel?
(Anaheim made it so easy to buy a hotel that was in walking distance and not too expensive!)
>Last, what will you be cosplaying?
(I'm currently working on Thanos and Saitama!)
>>
I don't mind the change too much, but I agree the parking is probably going to suck! I'm more worried about the traffic DESU.
As far as photoshoots go I feel like the buildings and surroundings of the convention center are fun to shoot edgier cosplays in but I could see how some cosplayers are going to miss the nice tree area in Anaheim.
I'll be wearing Gwen Stacy, Rey from Star Wars, and I haven't decided about the last day yet!
>>
This will be my first WonderCon and it has to do with the venue change. I'm a 5 minute drive from it.

How does it compare to AX in terms of the number of people there and are the panels any good?

I'll be there as a Stormtrooper.
>>
>>8875056
....it depends on what you are going for. If you're a weeb the panels aren't going to be anything you care about. If you aren't a weeb, the panels are amazing. Not SDCC level, but pretty fucking good.
>>
>>8875082
I'm not deluding myself into thinking there'll be weeb panels there. I was just curious of the overall quality of them.

But it's good to hear they're good!
>>
>>8875092
Sorry I came off as a dick AX just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth lol. Last year Wondercon had a lot of WB panels, and CCI still tries to have a lot of comic panels, covering DC, Marvel, and a lot of indie stuff. You'll find video game panels too, covering various levels. Some years are better than others, I'll say that, but I've always found it to be a more low-key version of SDCC. The crowd levels aren't AX levels of insanity. Well, they usually aren't. It's hard to judge given that it's going to be at the LACC since ACC is set up so differently. But I've never had an issue moving around in Anaheim.
>>
>>8875101
WB I mean Arrow/Flash, Gotham, Supergirl (I think I remember??) etc.
>>
File: IMG_20160211_183025.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160211_183025.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
>>8874966

LA convention center is fine, location can benefit certain characters more than other i suppose. I enjoy the fountain in front of the Aneheim convention center and second and third floor more though.

Hotel was fine, walking isnt too far. Glad i dont have a big costume this time around.

Having fun making samurai armor, may make something with that. I can pull together SU but i want to make a good shield this time around. That or Raditz.
>>
>>8875101
Are the panels more fan driver or industry driven? IE are the presenters actual guest or industry people vs random people who just digned up.
>>
>>8875831
More industry driven/actual guests. They don't have "Fan panels" at CCI shows like they do at ReedPop/Anime conventions. Or if they do you have to be REALLY REALLY REALLY well vetted.
>>
Bump to save the thread
>>
Do Wondercon passes sell out?
>>
>>8878619

They don't sell them at the con as an FYI. But I can't remember if they actually "sell out" I think maybe Saturday does?
>>
File: paases.jpg (12KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
paases.jpg
12KB, 306x306px
>>8878619

i believe saturday might have last year like a week prior. Badges were pretty lazy last year compared to 2014 imo. (pic somewhat related, they were blank if you had a regular pass)
>>
>>8878636
are they still normal paper?
not gonna lie, I copied and printed out some weekend passes for my friends one year
>>
File: image.jpg (50KB, 572x433px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 572x433px
>>8874966
>tfw fresh ex caught chesting is going

She's fairly popular too, no chance I won't see her with whats-his-face. Ill just get a boba fett mask or something...
An silently seethe
>>
>>8878649

usually pick up the passes there, but im pretty sure they will be this year as well. I like 2014s design more
>>
>>8878636
Last year's badges were seriously shit. They looked like they were made from a template of Microsoft office 2008. And they couldn't even take the time to write in the names, you wrote them in with sharpie -__-
>>
>>8880195
yeah they were bad. hope this ear has some sort of style. Comikaze had a nice badge last year, but im just going to make a badge cover in case theyre shit again.
>>
Got a table for this year, but I've never been before.
Any suggestions/things to check out for a first timer? And do people tend to spend a lot like they do at Comicons?
>>
>>8874966
My parents live in Orange County, so Anaheim was super easy to do for me. I have friends who live in LA, so I'll be staying with them. I've only been to Comikaze at the LA Convention Center, and I didn't love the layout, so I'll reserve judgement until I actually go to Wondercon this year.
I'll being going as Magik from X-men and Terra from Teen Titans. I'm excited! This is my favorite con.
>>
>>8874966
>if it's anything like AX, dear lord the parking is going to be a nightmare!

ive only been going to AX for the last 4 years but i honestly never had any problem with parking at all. i mean, i always park in the convention center parking lot and always get a decent parking spot.
am i missing something here?
>>
>>8878619
friday and saturday sold out like a week or 2 before the con started last year.
>>
>>8881249
Nah. Parking at the convention center during AX is pretty hassle free with plenty of space. But I always show up around 8am so maybe that's why.
>>
>>8875024
What version of Gwen Stacy?
>>
>>8874966
Thankfully the move is temporary until ACC's construction is done.
>>
>>8881468
I love that convention center so much.

I'll be wearing Elsa for a Disney Group, probably change out into Satine from SW: Clonw Wars, then Iron Bull from Dragon Age: Inquisition the other days.
>>
>>8881668
>Satine

Pls take a pic with me
>>
I really hope the LACC is a one time thing, i hate that place. Anaheim is so much better
>>
>>8874966
San Francisco is officially 100% out of the question anymore
>>
>>8881880
Totally! It will be easy to find me with that ridiculous head dress. I'm sure I won't be the only one but I'm just so excited about cosplaying her!!
>>
>>8882618
well, the only reason why they had to move was because of the construction work at the anaheim convention center.

so if that shit gets done by next year, it should be back.
i literally live like 5 minutes away from it too. fuck driving to LA.
>>
>>8881468
That's what they said about the Moscone in SF, anon. Don't hold your breathe.
>>
>>8881668
>Satine
HELL YES. I'm aiming to be Ventress one of the days (maybe Saturday?) and I'd love to get a picture with/of you if I can hunt you down!
>>
>>8875056
501st?

I want to hit up the Roscoe's on Manchester after con. How is the area?
>>
>>8883798
Nah, Anaheim is a much bigger convention center and it will be even bigger once the expansion is done.

I think Comic Con International "moved" Wondercon to LA so that they can get a sweetheart deal on the convention center contract.

They tried pulling the same crap by threatening to move San Diego Comic Con out of SD to get a nicer contract.
>>
>>8884139
>501st?

Maybe by the time Wondercon hits. Still have a few things to tweak before I apply to join.
>>
>>8881468
>Thankfully the move is temporary until ACC's construction is done

Oh you sweet innocent moron, the Moscone center construction ring a bell?
>>
>>8884337
CCI will realize how shit the LACC is for big events. Even with the ACC under construction, they are using Wondercon this year at the LACC as a measure to see if the place can handle SDCC, which of course the answer is no.

The place is barely getting by AX at this point.
>>
>>8883889
oh man ventress? That's awesome! I'll find you even if I'm not wearing Satine! I know we're going to have a SWKOTOR group floating around too
>>
As much as I really love the convention center, I HATE the surrounding area. Parking and driving in the immediate area is always a god damn nightmare, and finding a decently priced hotel within walking distance is a hassle.

I'm pretty excited for DC announcing their creative teams for Rebirth, though I'm not holding out hope I'll be happy with most of the choices. With BvS coming out there is going to be a ton of Batman universe cosplay. Can't really complain though as I'm doing one of my Harleys Saturday. I'm also doing Mellka from Battleborn and I dunno, maybe Old Gregg? I'll figure the third costume out a week before the con like always.
>>
How timely

http://www.comicsbeat.com/wondercon-2016-comparing-the-new-site-to-the-olds/
>>
>>8885015
Floor plan

https://issuu.com/comic-con/docs/wc2016_exhib_floorplan
>>
>>8881282
>>8884755
>nervous about driving in locally (~30 min away) and finding parking
I've only been to the LACC once, for AX a few years back, and I took public transit then. Anyone have advice or reassurances?

Currently studying Google Earth of the surrounding area and the parking map that the LACC website provides, which doesn't seem to have information on fees. Ideally I'd like to spend <$10, but it's possible I've been spoiled by Northern CA parking prices.
>The Los Angeles Convention Center can accommodate 5,600 vehicles
Getting to the convention at 8am it is.
>>
>>8885075
During AX practically every nearby lot has their prices at $20 minimum. I think one had it at $25. For those $20 bucks you may as well park at the convention center's parking lot.
>>
I'm going, looking forward to seeing friends whom I haven't seen in forever. I might even cosplay, there's a thought. The last time I cosplayed was over a year and fifteen pounds ago and I have no idea if anything still fits. Hooray depression weight gain, woo.
>>
>>8885075
I can guarantee you won't find parking for under $10 within reasonable walking distance.
>>
>>8885082
I can say for sure that all the surrounding parking lots close to the convention center had their prices at $40 and up on saturday last year. and that was me arriving at 10am to a sold out parking structure.
>>
>>8886127
Holy shit
>>
>>8886127
It doesn't help that they swallowed up three close parking spots to built 3 huge skyscrapers in front of the LA Convention Center.

Cost of Parking is going up, way up near the LACC.
>>
I'm not going to this con or anything but I read on Reddit that apparently two (or three?) sports events will be taking place at the same time so parking will be a pain.

Apparently there's limited reserved parking spaces being sold by the com so perhaps look into that if anyone really needs parking.
>>
>>8886182
http://www.comic-con.org/wca/parking

info on parking for Wondercon.
>>
>>8885075
>Ideally I'd like to spend <$10

lol, thats some wishful thinking.

LACC is surround by a ton of hot spots and especially with a convention going on at the time, shit is going to be at least $25-30.

if you live in the area, just take public transit. unless you plan on buying lots of shit or something.
>>
>>8878636
>>8880195
>>8878649
FYI, They posted on the Wondercon website that all badges will be RFID. Which means even if they use cheap crap paper, it is impossible to copy unless you know how to program RFID.
>>
>>8885082
>>8885781
>>8886192
Ah well, that wishful thinking life, though I realistically wasn't expecting anything under $20. I manage to not buy many things at cons but don't want to do public transit again because I'll be in semi-involved cosplays two of the days (props and especially weird clothing/makeup) and would rather not be hanging out with normals, haha.

But shit, I might genuinely just buy the parking pass because simultaneously driving solo (esp in LA) and hunting for parking stress me out more than $75 would.
>tfw the parking pass costs more than con registration
>>
File: 145620040878.jpg (118KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
145620040878.jpg
118KB, 1280x720px
>>8886184
>Rates are $30/day or $75 for a 3-day pass. No in/out privileges.

What the fuck. Not even during AX have I seen prices like this for parking at the convention center.

Would probably be cheaper and less of a hassle to just Uber there and back.
>>
>>8886421
its most likely due to the multiple events that are going to be happening around wondercon in that time frame.
>>
>>8886421
not even SDCC is that much for the convention center parking lot
LACC busy being assholes apparently
>>
File: wc2016_lacc_lalive_graphic_3.png (370KB, 1230x792px) Image search: [Google]
wc2016_lacc_lalive_graphic_3.png
370KB, 1230x792px
Maybe I'm just too used to AX having everything at the convention center, but it feels odd having some things going on at the hotels and Microsoft theater
>>
>>8886473
not used to it myself, comikaze through me off last year as well

>>8886204
well shit
>>
>>8886465
>its most likely due to the multiple events that are going to be happening around wondercon in that time frame.

Is this going to be another AX Games?
>>
>>8886466
i've never parked at the convention center lot during sdcc but I've definitely seen $40/day in the area.
>>
>>8886514
if you get into the hilton or the convention center the parking is $20
>>
>>8886359
Just Uber or Lyft? That's what my friends and I are doing.
>>
>>8886526
they might rise the price since they are charging $30 for the West Hall.
>>
File: 143700400008.jpg (112KB, 585x538px) Image search: [Google]
143700400008.jpg
112KB, 585x538px
Surely the nearby parking lots won't also set their prices at $30, right?
>>
>>8887503

the one down the street was $20 last time i was there for comikaze. wouldnt hold my breath though.
>>
>>8887575
What about the ones that set it at $10?

Do they hike up prices too?
>>
>>8887577

couldnt say, im used to paying $20 and walking a minute or wo
>>
>>8887577
There is one company that owns a gigantic chunk of the parking in South Park, Business District, and Little Tokyo, which is Joe's Auto Park,

They use mostly demand-based pricing, which means that they scale pricing on how fast they sell out lots. If they have a half full lot in the middle of the weekend, $10. If they know an event is going on $20,30 and even 40.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.