[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 330
Thread images: 103

File: image.png (227KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
227KB, 450x450px
New help thread. Old one in autosage.
>>
How well do fabric blends take rit dye? Like fabrics that are mostly natural fibers with 10-20% synthetic blended in.
>>
>>8836716
Pretty good. The higher the percentage of cotton the better, but I've had lower grade take the dye okay. Like 60% cotton if I remember correctly.
>>
Any tips on retying an Arda Chibi? I've been trying and having a really hard time dealing with the wig fit. It doesn't feel too small but it definitely feels tight around my forehead and hairline and I don't know why that is.
>>
File: Dark Souls - Gwyndolin 1.png (553KB, 674x720px) Image search: [Google]
Dark Souls - Gwyndolin 1.png
553KB, 674x720px
Still really need help on how to start making a Gwyndolin mask/helmet from Dark Souls. I found a tutorial to make a cardboard helmet base but I'm not sure if that would work at all.
>>
File: image.jpg (187KB, 900x1312px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
187KB, 900x1312px
Anyone has the source of these shoes?
>>
File: 4542385076_48cbbbe843_b.jpg (478KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
4542385076_48cbbbe843_b.jpg
478KB, 768x1024px
How do you get Apoxie sculpt and polymer clay to be nice and smooth? No matter how much I try to smooth it out with water it always ends up looking like lumpy play-doh with fingerprints. Sanding doesn't help much.
>>
>>8836891
What are you using to sand it? Are you sending it by hand or are you using a tool like a dremel?
>>
>>8836898
I tried using different grits and was sanding it by hand.

I have an unused dremel. Would that work better?
>>
>>8836891
i've used cornstarch to help smooth and keep my fingerprints off polymer clay
>>
File: 51oE040uS5L._SL1500_.jpg (54KB, 1000x1292px) Image search: [Google]
51oE040uS5L._SL1500_.jpg
54KB, 1000x1292px
Does anybody know if you can bring a riding crop as a prop onto convention grounds, or is it classes as a weapon?
>>
>>8836716
What >>8836722 said.
I've had good results with dyeing navy-colored 65% polyester/35% cotton with black RIT dye into midnight bluish-black and it looked even.

When in doubt, do test scraps first to see how well dye takes.
>>
reposting from last thread because I still have no answers.... what the hell is this dial inside my sewing machine? It's sitting right at the top of all the stuff inside the faceplate.
>>
>>8836759
Worbla or Craft foam would probably be best, right?

>>8836969
I think it depends on the con, you may have to contact them if the rules on their site are unclear.
>>
File: 166571.png (572KB, 510x765px) Image search: [Google]
166571.png
572KB, 510x765px
Ideas on how to do makeup for pic related? I'm thinking of just some very light contouring for the face, but I'm kind of stuck on the eyes. I'm a guy with white people eyes.
>>
File: tumblr_m37i4lMe9i1qithpd.gif (834KB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m37i4lMe9i1qithpd.gif
834KB, 500x285px
Any tips, tricks, or advice for working with fake fur would be super helpful.
I just need it as a trim on a few ends of clothes (pic semi related, making a something from the show) but I have no clue what I'm getting myself into.
>>
>>8837081
Depends what you're doing. I can at least recommend that when you cut it(as in pattern piece cutting, not trimming the fur) cut the back of it with a razor, instead of scissors. That way you avoid cutting any of the fur by mistake, and you avoid extra shedding. Bits of flying faux fur is annoying and itchy.
>>
File: skull.gif (267KB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
skull.gif
267KB, 426x240px
I'm going to be making Castra's skull helmet, how could I make it so it's able to open and close like this whilst also staying on securely? Not electronically, I'm fine to move it into place manually

>>8837064
I'd say go light on eye makeup, maybe just do an elongating effect. I think the expression is more imporant, having your eyelids hooded with disinterest
Noice taste btw
>>
>>8837064
>white people eyes
I'm sorry I know you honestly need help but I'm laughing so hard
>>
File: five.jpg (134KB, 541x640px) Image search: [Google]
five.jpg
134KB, 541x640px
>>8836148

I'm looking for colored contact recommendations (yellow specifically).

Ideally I'd like something quality but not that expensive, and I'd trade durability for it.

But if it's best for your eyes to just spring for a good pair I will do that.
>>
File: jhinbanditomv.jpg (135KB, 1225x795px) Image search: [Google]
jhinbanditomv.jpg
135KB, 1225x795px
Which nerf gun(s) would be a good base for high moon jhin's gun?
>>
>>8837817
Dolly Eye Browns are pretty much gold without being jarringly yellow-toned.
>>
>>8836969
seriously?
>>
File: tumblr_o1db1sWN8T1rmzw91o2_540.jpg (164KB, 540x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1db1sWN8T1rmzw91o2_540.jpg
164KB, 540x750px
>>8838025

Seriously what? That I'm using a riding crop as a canon prop or that some convention guidelines might potentially consider it a weapon? Con staff have been known to ape out over less.
>>
File: Converse-Shoes.jpg (4MB, 4592x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Converse-Shoes.jpg
4MB, 4592x3056px
So, I painted the white rubber part of my Chucks and wore them to a day con. It held up well enough, but it did chip off a bit in the middle where my feet bend. It also wore off at the heel a bit, because I was stupid and drove in them.

Is there some kind of sealant I can use to keep the paint from flaking off? Spray-paint alone is NOT going to last a walk-heavy day at a real con.
>>
File: arm.jpg (2MB, 3192x2448px) Image search: [Google]
arm.jpg
2MB, 3192x2448px
need help working on this armor? Not very experienced with building armor out of foam etc. any advice?
>>
>>8838033
desu i'd be surpised if they did throw a fit but even if they did all you'd have to do would be replace the end with a soft fabric and they wouldnt care
>>
>>8838070
Use leather paint next time. Spray paint isn't made to flex and will therefore crack off, leather paint is made to bend and flex and will last longer.
>>
>>8836752
Retying pigtail wigs is pretty hard unless the person using it is wearing it, the edges are completely secured down and preferably someone else is doing the pigtailing.
>>
>>8837109
I'd recommend some kind of hinge on the top of the jaw

>>8837817
>honeycolor.com
they occasionally do sales and you can get prescription colored lenses.

>>8838428
the red parts are mostly made from some kind of EVA foam, same with the gold and white on the sides of fingers/wrist, looks like it's put on top of a gardening glove. If you've never made a costume, then maybe you want to start smaller..?
>>
>>8838428
check the link i dropped on your original post, it walks you through the entire process (and gives you two options if one is too daunting/expensive for you). not sure what more you want than that. if you have questions about any specific element of it, feel free to ask, but a general "how do i make this complex project" wont get you very far if you havent done your own reading up/attempts first
>>
>>8838988
Understood. Just wanted to double check to see if there's any tips on how to do this stuff before I invest and get started and make a mess is all. Thanks for the links and help, anon.
>>
File: 630x.jpg (54KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
630x.jpg
54KB, 630x630px
Any tips on how to start this? I was thinking of using a thin foam. Other people had suggested making it out of fabric.
>>
File: Until-Dawn-Startled-700x389.jpg (42KB, 700x389px) Image search: [Google]
Until-Dawn-Startled-700x389.jpg
42KB, 700x389px
Is there any type of fake blood you can buy or make that /won't/ stain clothes?
>>
>>8839248
I suggest thick interfacing or felt covered in fabric, like, performance stretch fabric.
>>
>>8837054
the only dials my machine has are for stitch types and thread tension. can you rule either of those out?

also, have you looked for a manual for your model? you might be able to find one online. it would list parts.
>>
>>8837109
Hm. Yeah I think that would be good, I'll probably just do some simple liner. How do you do an an elongating effect? google isn't being very helpful. Is it just a matter of bringing the eyeliner a bit past the outer corner of your eye?

The second part should be easy since my eyes tend to naturally stay kind of droopy/half closed unless I intentionally make an effort to keep them open wide.

>>8837485
I aim to please.
>>
File: kyaahaa.png (32KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
kyaahaa.png
32KB, 256x256px
I'm planning on dyeing a white shirt half black for a Monokuma cosplay. I already bought fabric dye to handwash it, yet I am unsure how to properly dye it vertically. I already looked into dip dying but I'd rather not use that method since it results in a gradient line. Any tips?
>>
Where can I get some good stormtrooper armor? The official ones are like 1500 dollars but the cheaper ones look like garbage. Is there any good but affordable set?
>>
File: Untitled.png (392KB, 597x510px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
392KB, 597x510px
Could anyone help me identify this kind of style? It seems like it's somewhat influenced by j-fash, but it's mostly normie. Or anything close to it? I just think it has lolita vibes I guess, but it's not lolita enough to just be casual lolita?
>>
>>8840552
>take white shirt
>cut in half
>take black shirt
>cut in half
>sew together
>???
>profit
>>
>>8840797
I could be wrong but I don't think it has a specific label; in Jfash terms it'd probably just be referred to as "girly style" (though not otome or larme or any other specific "named" style). Not every aesthetic has a name.
>>
>>8840807
Oh, okay. Well, thank you!
>>
>>8840807
Actually, larme seems to hit really close to what I was looking for. I'd never actually heard of it before, but that's about as close as I can expect to get. Thanks!
>>
>>8840552
If you're set on dying it, I'd guess you could dye it pretty close to the halfway point, then put some masking tape where you want the black to end and carefully brush on the rest.
>>
Anyone have better references for the alternate Cloud outfits from FF7 G-Bike than this picture? If anyone has the model, it'll do.
>>
>>8839492
There are no promises, but you'll have an easier time if you make sure you're wearing clothes made of one of the non-porous synthetic materials (polyester, not nylon or rayon/viscose) and soak in cold water.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Washable-Non-staining-Stage-Blood-by-the-Gallon/ This recipe looks promising.
>>
Has anyone bought from e-circlelens or kpop2 before?
I need hyperopia lens and these two seem to be the only place that sell them, but I'm wary of ordering from new sites without /cgl/s honest reviews.
>>
>>8840552
Dyeing really isn't your best bet, but if you're dead set on it:

1) Put down some masking tape with one edge on the centre line and the other edge on the side you want to dye.
2) Paint along the edge of that strip with PVA glue. Don't water it down - you need it thick. Go a couple of inches onto the white side for safety.
3) Peel the masking tape and leave it to dry.
4) Dip dye, carefully. The glue will refuse to take up the dye. Don't get dye on your hands and then touch the white side.
5) Washing the glue out is the tricky part. Try a hot wash, then peeling it off with your fingers.

It's difficult but theoretically possible. Check out resist dyeing and batik for more info.
>>
>>8836759
There are probably other simpler ways to tackle the helmet but this is what I would do.

Start by making a helmet base that fits snuggly to your head. I usually like to begin by making a base out of thin cardboard strips lain horisontaly nad vertically around your head (use tape to get the fit right, then glue) . You could also use worbla as a base though If you have a wig head with the right proportions this is much easie - or just ask a friend to help.By a quick google search the helmet seems to have some bulk in the back. Expanding foam over the cardboard base could accomplish this while still being very light. Cover the foam with papermache, painter's tape and paperclay or worbla.

For the front piece, use light materials. Worbla would be the most obvious choice considering how thin some of the parts look. Again, thin cardboard is great for modeling and could be used as part of the support structure. Use craft foam or something similarly light underneath the worbla.

To attach the front piece to the base helmet you'll need something like nails/ pegs that are embedded to both the front piece and the base helmet to sturden the connection.
>>
File: ajin_04.jpg (95KB, 448x437px) Image search: [Google]
ajin_04.jpg
95KB, 448x437px
i know the black ghost looks like it'll be a standard mummy costume, but those costumes usually don't stay on after 15 minutes. any ideas on how to keep a costume like this on without it falling apart?
>>
>>8840552
>http://www.aliexpress.com/item/half-black-and-white-New-Designer-2015-Men-Summer-Dress-Tee-Tshirt-HipHop-Street-Fashion-tshirt/32323587844.html
>>
File: image1xxl.jpg (149KB, 870x1110px) Image search: [Google]
image1xxl.jpg
149KB, 870x1110px
Do any of you have recommendations for strong fashion tape? I'm need it to tape up my breasts to enhance the cleavage for an outfit like this. I've seen some products on Amazon, but some of the reviews are mixed. Would opting for scotch tape just be a better choice?
>>
>>8841080
When I've done a mummy-outfit, I glued bandages to underclothes with textile glue. Basically put a white long sleeves shirt and some leggings on a dressform (or yourself), then get a shitload of bandages, pre-dyed, and glue them on. You put it on the dress form so you glue it on stretched fabric.
>>
>>8840711
There was a golden opportunity last April with Anovos' Stormtrooper armor kit pre-orders being sold for $350. They just started being shipped out to people this month. Those kits are sold out and are now but they said they plan on bringing them back later in the year but it will be at the full $650 price rather than the special pre-order price.

There are several guys that sell armor that are recommended by the 501st Legion, but they only include the white armor. No neck seal, blaster, holster, belt, boots, gloves, or undersuit. They're around the $600-$700 range at the minimum and depending on the seller up to an 8 month wait on the seller's waiting list.

TL;DR - It ain't cheap. You're going to pay with your wallet and with time. It's just a matter of which you'd rather pay more of.
>>
>>8841110
Scotch tape, lol? No.
I've tried both the curved, boob shaped tape and $16 fashion tape and neither could hold my boobs. The best thing I had work was to sew strips of trash fabric inside of a dress (into the lining, obviously) and then spirit gum my boobs onto the strips so that they were held up. They held place but I had to be really careful about moving all day.
>>
File: liz.png (130KB, 519x394px) Image search: [Google]
liz.png
130KB, 519x394px
What type of skirts should I make for this?
>Option 1: Sewing together 3 circle skirts and box pleating them with horsehair braid
>Option 2: Make a standard 3-yard hem rectangle skirt and add horsehair braid
>Option 3: 3.5-yard hem rectangle skirt with horsehair
I'm planning on putting my Classical Puppets A-line underneath, maybe layered with another petti or hoopskirt.
Additionally, should the top layer be a circle skirt or rectangle skirt?
>>
Cross-posting from the Life is Strange thread, since that one is nearly dead.

I'm planning to cosplay Chloe Price sometime in the near future, but second-guessing myself on what wig to get. Looking on Arda, they've got Jaguar and Blue Steele (and maybe Lulu?) that could be modifiable. I'm a bit held up on color, though; currently debating somewhere between slate, denim, or royal blues. I've seen way too many Chloe cosplayers with inaccurate hair colors. Any help would be greatly appreciated! (Or if anyone knows of another store to get a good wig for Chloe, I'm open to suggestions.)

Also if any anons have bought one of her tanks and want to recommend one, I'm all ears! Looks like there's a couple different online shops that sell them.
>>
Any ideas on what fabric material to use for the legs?
They look shiny and scaly. So maybe vinyl?? Hopefully this is a easy question!
>>
>>8841776
Cut and style the jaguar. Lulu will pass too but you'll probably need to style/cut that too. But I'd say jaguar because of the length and fullness.
>>
>>8841758
Circle skirt with box pleats would probably look most accurate. But if you want to translate it more "realistically" you can also consider doing stacked box pleats.
>>
File: di0qkky.png (2MB, 740x1110px) Image search: [Google]
di0qkky.png
2MB, 740x1110px
Which method should I use to make the giant cross on the dress? I feel like fabric paint would be too messy and I don't want zig zag stitching to show so applique won't work either, how do other cosplayers do this?
>>
>>8841985
I think cosplayers usually tape off an area and use fabric paint or acrylic paint that's been diluted. Fabric paint would be better (obviously) and here's a tutorial for it to not be messy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq647PZ0S_8
>>
>>8841965
Thank you, anon! I'll make Jaguar my first pick, then.

Unfortunately, it's only half the battle. Any advice on which shade of blue to go with, by any chance?
>>
>>8842092
Electric blue looks like your best bet! If you want to double check yourself heres a picture of the blues with both inside and outside lighting https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/28/d9/68/28d968f34740641592fa2c7d0d81f742.jpg
>>
>>8841985
>>8842069
Either fabric paints or getting a length of fabric professionally printed on. No idea how much the latter would set you back.
>>
>>8841985
Hand applique. I'd probably use water soluble basting tape to keep the curved/pointed edges turned under during stitching.
>>
File: Devil_Bringer_2.png (373KB, 701x461px) Image search: [Google]
Devil_Bringer_2.png
373KB, 701x461px
Any anons able to help me come up with ideas to make this arm? Ive seen vids on placing a glove on a plastic bottle then applying the paper to build it up and shape the arm
>>
Anyone knows how are those things that people used in the 19-20th century to hold cigarets called? Like the one the girl uses in Breakfats at Tiffany's. And also, are they rare to find in vintage stores? I've only seen them in movies.
>>
>>8843082
it's called a cigarette holder, and they shouldn't be too rare. go hunting.
>>
File: Cigarette_holder.png (225KB, 1677x1014px) Image search: [Google]
Cigarette_holder.png
225KB, 1677x1014px
>>8843082
I assume its the thing cruella de vil used in 101 dalmations and it is lieterally called a ciggarete holder
>>
File: cody-bunt-void-bringer-illaoi-t.jpg (327KB, 1804x1148px) Image search: [Google]
cody-bunt-void-bringer-illaoi-t.jpg
327KB, 1804x1148px
Any help on the wig for Void Ilaoi from League?
I have no idea where or how to start.
>>
>>8843186
Purple dread lock wig. You can either find one yourself or buy a long purple wig and make the dreadlocks yourself. Can also make it like how starcraft kerrigan cosplayers do their hair.
>>
File: 1453694045246.gif (2MB, 540x300px) Image search: [Google]
1453694045246.gif
2MB, 540x300px
asked in the last thread but didnt get any responses so asking again, pls help

For Chat Noir's suit, he has this obvious seam around his shoulders, and what appears to be a "lifted" armor piece on his forearms as well.

What's the best way of doing this? For his shoulder seams I want to make it a bit more visible than just a seam since it appears thick and black, would anyone have any idea what I could do there? And does anyone with sewing experience know what the best way to sew that would be, since it clearly looks like one piece and there is no clear seam between the torso and arm. Should I just do an arm seam as usual and forget the idea of the panel looking like one piece?

For the one on his lower arm, would it look strange to use craft foam with the fabric stretched ontop? Or should I just follow the same method being used on his shoulders to give the effect of a separate shape on the lower arms and forget about the "raised" aspect.

I'm kinda stumped here. I've sewn three bodysuits before but these panels are confusing me quiet a bit.
>>
I want to be Zed from League of Legends in time for a convention in April and I haven't started at all except looking up videos.

What makes for better quality prop weapons that aren't swords, foam or wood? Shurikens and arm blades (think Baraka from Mortal Kombat). Does one take more time than the other? I'm leaning towards foam due to security but I don't want it to look like shit like my brother's LARP sword did.

What should I use to make a mask, except metal? Thinking about paper mache but if I'm gonna be buying other things anyways I might as well do it a little better. Also, how to make a mask? Google has done jack shit for me on mask making.
>>
I have a super old lollipop (received around 6-7 years ago) that I never touched and would like to use as a cosplay prop. Would it be safe to coat it in epoxy? Is there a specific process I should follow so it doesn't dissolve or break or something?
>>
I may make my own thread for this but:

>friend X goes to con with me and others last year
>friend X is annoying as shit but still my friend
>friend X tells how excited he is to room with me again next year
>brush it off
>it's not next year and he's asking about rooming

How do I tell him I don't want to room with him and his equally annoying gf?
I always try to play the nice guy and get along with everybody, but I'd rather have anyone else fill those hotel slots.
I'm not the lying type so I'm not seeing a way around this unless I lie.
>>
>>8844091
It's now* next year, fuck mobile
>>
>>8844091
Find other people to room with then tell them you're already overbooked?
Either that or suck it up and just tell them.
>>
What shopping service should I use for auction sites like y!j? I want to get into old-school and often pieces pop up dirt cheap on there
Also what SSs will buy from fril?
>>
>>8843402
i think you've got two ways of doing this, either sewing in black piping, or you could, without having to pattern the bodysuit into any strange pieces, simply do a thick satin embroidery stitch along those lines instead (if your machine isn't making them big/rounded for you you could try something like pic related i guess, though I havent tried it and cant guarantee the results)
>>
>>8844301
i prefer fromjapan personally, but i can vouch for japonica market as being pretty decent too
>>
>>8844331
oh and didnt mention, fromjapan would be fine to buy from fril too
>>
>>8843402
i wouldnt bother with the craft foam thing, it'll just look weird and uncohesive irl
>>
>>8841985
What's stopping you from using a heavier heat-and-bond?
>>
Im focusing on making an altair costume, and was wondering if anyone had any good guides on actually making one.
>>
>>8844091
do not make a thread for this please
>>
How do you guys draft your plushie patterns?
I've started getting into making plushies, but I'm having a lot of trouble drafting my own for some reason, so I've just been altering free ones online to better suit my needs.

I was thinking about making a paper + tape form and making a pattern from that. Does anyone have any experience using that method? Tips/tricks?
>>
>>8843085
>>8843087
Thank you anons, I kind of was hoping it had a cooler name.
>>
HELP /cgl/ I was about to do a makeup test for katsu and I just checked on my contacts... All three pairs dried up in their cases and I have no idea how or when. One was still a bit damp, but the others are rock solid... Is there any chance I'll be able to rehydrate them so I won't go blind?

I also immediately ordered new from pinky with 2-5 day shipping, please tell me that shipping estimate is reliable, I can't believe I'm about to go to fucking katsucon with no contacts.
>>
>>8845327
also, i've always been skeeved out by contact tables in the dealers hall, am i going to go blind if i have to buy from them as a last resort?
>>
>>8845327
>>8845332
DHL is reliable, but you gotta factor in handling time too. If you order and pay right away, I think you have a good chance of making it.

Also, I would not recommend putting dried out contact lenses in your eyes. The integrity of the material has already been compromised, and rehydrating them won't fix it.

I'm kind of skeeved out by the contacts in the dealers' room too, but as long as it's legit and sealed, then there shouldn't be a problem. Some of them are just resellers of EOS/Vassen/whatever legit brand.
>>
>>8843654
your brother's foam sword probably looks like shit because 1) he's beating it to shit and 2) the finish is shit.

I've seen cardboard that's been painted and looked better than leathers, don't instantly blame material. And in your case, I'd say 2 months for a costume\ed (unless you have a lot of free time on your hands) is going to be a rather large undertaking.
>>
File: 11091f12792159.jpg (169KB, 730x1095px) Image search: [Google]
11091f12792159.jpg
169KB, 730x1095px
Can anyone recommend somewhere to buy a good Jolyne wig? I see a lot of Chinese sellers on Ebay and Aliexpress. I don't know about you guys, but I generally don't trust those sellers.
>>
File: 23897.jpg (595KB, 1280x956px) Image search: [Google]
23897.jpg
595KB, 1280x956px
I need help finding a lace similar to this that isn't going to cost $20 a yard. It's 3-4 inches wide, and I need a lot of it.
>>
>>8846570
cheeptrims.com
>>
Can anyone help me find this shirt? It's from BUBBLES, but I think it's sold out on their online shop and TOM was a licensed seller but they cancelled my order because they actually won't get this back.

I'm looking for it in black, but any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>8846781
Actually, come to think of it. Any shirt with a similar design will do, if you spot one. I'm obsessed with that little transparent rose window and the sleeve length.
>>
File: 4e_tiefling.jpg (148KB, 400x619px) Image search: [Google]
4e_tiefling.jpg
148KB, 400x619px
My friends and I are cosplaying our Dnd characters, are there any ways to make a non furry tail that doesn't look stupid?
>>
File: quickref ww.png (2MB, 1617x1267px) Image search: [Google]
quickref ww.png
2MB, 1617x1267px
I have about four months to make a convincing Winter Wyvern costume, with a budget of "don't spend absurd amounts of money and we're fine". My skill level is shit, but time and money isn't a huge problem.

I've done a bit of preliminary research, and the rough outline is:

> follow this as a guideline: http://www.instructables.com/id/Dragon-Costume-1/?ALLSTEPS
> buy and carefully paint bodysuit (time consuming, but not necessarily difficult, i have some painting experience): http://www.amazon.com/Body-Suit-Mens-Full-Spandex/dp/B00354BQE2
> make and sew tail to bodysuit (hard)
> make and affix wings to arms (really hard)
> make head using similar methodology to: http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/tutorials/fursuithead

Since this is only the second time I've made a costume EVER, and I actually have the time to really focus on this, I have a great deal of questions:

1. Is this a feasible approach? Or is there a much simpler, beginner friendly way to do this (not planning on a humanization)? Or, if I'm a beginner, should I just stop being delusional with any notion of being able to do this?
2. I can't seem to find a good guide to making a tail.
3. How would I sew a tail to a bodysuit without it being easily torn off or otherwise severely damaged over time?
4. What sort of material should I make the wings out of? How can I ensure that no matter how I bend my arms, the fabric won't tear or restrict arm movement (because the character is a wyvern, the arms effectively become the wings)?
5. Do I need a model head and a mannequin to paint the bodysuit, sew things together and and make the head accurately? I'm not sure if I'm willing to buy a mannequin since I'm only doing this once. Should I just make a human dummy?
>>
File: tumblr_nvypqlOKZF1qhmnwno1_500.png (228KB, 500x550px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nvypqlOKZF1qhmnwno1_500.png
228KB, 500x550px
Working on a Mettaton Neo for Wondercon/AX,been stumped on how to make the wings.I want to make them light up pretty decently,but the only was to get the right effect would to waste over $300 on large EL panels.So any solutions on how to get a similar effect? LED tape+fabric? using clear vinyl?
>>
>>8847274
>use reflective material
>tell people to use flash for photos
>>
>>8836148
I'm looking for what materials I could use and where I could find them for a cosplay of this lovely lady. I'm not concerned with the accessories than the actual product.
>>
File: Panty_Angel_Form.jpg (186KB, 985x725px) Image search: [Google]
Panty_Angel_Form.jpg
186KB, 985x725px
>>8847323
Oh man forgot the photo please help.
>>
>>8847323
white bridal or stretch satin and tule? literally any fabric store has it. i suggest going into one and just touching stuff until you find what you like
>>
File: PhotoGrid_1454592510707.png (3MB, 2048x2480px) Image search: [Google]
PhotoGrid_1454592510707.png
3MB, 2048x2480px
Ran into a small problem with my Elsa costume I just started putting together, got all the materials and I intend on doing tons of beading on the bodice.

Did anybody else who did Elsa run into this particular problem? Hair right on top of beads. Snag city. The braid of my wig sits right on my boob.

>>don't want to cut it short b/c I don't have a gigantic head so it'll look dumb/less wow (this isn't for a cosplay it's for wearing to kids parties, so wow factor is important!)

>> don't want to not bead part of my bodice b/c that'll be super obvious and terrible looking

Is there anything I can do to prevent my wig from being snagged to shit?

I was thinking maybe I could gel the everloving shit out of the bottom of it, maybe with that got 2b spike stuff since the hold is pretty stiff, unless anybody knows of a gel that's more hardcore?

Inb4 caulking and other permanent stuff, I need it to be washable and not damage my wig so I can restyle it as needed.
>>
If anyone could tell me the name or producer of this dress, I would really appreciate it!
>>
>>8847867
Royal Princess Alice
>>
File: vial.png (59KB, 130x205px) Image search: [Google]
vial.png
59KB, 130x205px
I'm working on an Aion bard dress right now, almost everything worked out fine, but I've lost count of hours I tried to find a crystal-like vial like that. I'm kinda scared of casting it myself though...does anyone have an idea where to get something like it or how to make it without casting it?
>>
File: sfv-cammy-preorder-1.jpg (514KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sfv-cammy-preorder-1.jpg
514KB, 1920x1080px
I may be cosplaying Cammy from SF5, in her alternate costume, but I'm trying to figure out a few details

1. Does anyone have a good refrence picture of this outfit? I tried looking for one, but couldn't.

2. What kind of backpack is she wearing? I know it's some sort of tactical backpack, but I'm not sure if it has a specific name

3. What would be the best way to replicate her body suit? It looks like it's made out of a fairly thick material, but I'm not sure what material would work best for how it fits her, or if I should even make it myself. Is there a place to buy something like her suit?

Sorry if this is a lot of questions, I'm still fairly new to making my own cosplay.
>>
File: ornament.jpg (213KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ornament.jpg
213KB, 1600x1200px
>>8847990
It's not a bottle, but unless you were going to fill it with liquid, I think this ornament would work.
I just googled "crystal faceted ornament" and it showed up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/201413191109?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82
>>
>>8836759
Worbla and foam aren't bad, pepakura would make a decent base if you have patience
>>
File: image.jpg (109KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109KB, 600x600px
As someone who has little experience with making anything, I'm hoping to get a second opinion on a commission before I go through with it.

Yesterday I asked a commissioner for a jacket like pic related. They said they usually use gaberdine as a fabric, and quoted me $130 including shipping. It'd also be shipped from the Ukraine to the US, so I'm not sure how much that would be in shipping. I honestly have no grasp on what things ought to cost in general, so I just want to make sure they price isn't a little high or anything.

I really hope this isn't a stupid question! I don't want to devalue the commissioner's work, either, so I feel bad even asking...
>>
>>8846440
Just get em off eBay, if you have a problem with what you get just contact eBay's support and get a refund
>>
>>8847274
if you're going for something like pic related, you could probably use super-bright led strips inside the top black part of the wings and just have them pointing downwards inside/in-between the two layers of whatever you're using to make your wings, just make sure you use something translucent and decently light diffusing
>>
File: SoosFCLORP1.gif (1MB, 360x200px) Image search: [Google]
SoosFCLORP1.gif
1MB, 360x200px
FCLORP Soos is going to be my next cosplay and this'll be my first time dealing with props.

With this cosplay, I can most likely find the basic stuff like the foam bars and cardboard at Michael's and Home Depot, but is cardboard a bitch to work with?

I am aiming for this to be kinda collapsable (traveling with a friend by car and this can't be too big, except the sword and shield), but is there any possible way to make this look good, alternate materials for cardboard I can work with, etc., because I can see it falling apart easily.
>>
File: SoosFCLORP2.jpg (64KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
SoosFCLORP2.jpg
64KB, 500x281px
>>8848735
Another reference pic.
>>
>>8848521
That's fair if it's lined and well made. I'd probably charge around $140-50 + shipping for that. I'm located in the US.
>>
I need some black mesh or some kind of material covering the eye holes of a mask I made for a costume. I still need to be able to see to some degree out of this mask, what material would work best for the mesh?
>>
>>8847764
if you bead it properly nothing will snag? Otherwise a lot of theatrical costumes wouldn't be able to be beaded
>>
>>8847020
It depends how much effort and money you want to put into it. You can, but it won't be cheap. Especially if you have it dragging on the ground. If you want to be cost effective, I highly recommend making the tail small, like this one or even smaller.
>>
>>8841959
Spandex, latex, vinyl, you have a lot of options. Custom print or find one, I'm sure a cosplay site or a JP portal will have something you're looking for.
>>
>>8849103
I'm not too worried about it having to be very big or anything since it's just an oc, but I can't find any tutorials and I'm not sure what materials to look into
>>
File: 402c4ebecf8262680e98bcadd953388c.jpg (149KB, 736x1104px) Image search: [Google]
402c4ebecf8262680e98bcadd953388c.jpg
149KB, 736x1104px
So I'm going to be starting on this monster soon and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to do the little details on the dress. From what I've seen of other cosplayers they have just cut them out from the material. Would that be the best course of action?
>>
Was shota should I do? Someone who is recognizable
>>
I'm soon cosplaying a character who is super pale (think dead so not stark white) where skin is only shown on arms and neck area. While my skin is pretty pale, it has yellow and olive undertones (east asian) and the costume is super cool toned. Is there a spray-on or rub-on color corrector or highlighter I can use on my whole arm and neck and collar bone area or something of that nature? I don't really want to deal with body paint as i don't want something heavy or starkly different from my normal skin that if i take off my mask to eat my unpainted face would look strange.
>>
>>8849238
make sure to fray check/nail polish that shit
>>
>>8836148
What should I do to stop looking horrible on photos?

My hair looks like even worse mess than it is in real life, dark rings under eyes and lack of my make-up skills is showing. I genuinely have no idea what to do. Even youtubue make-up tutorials are too complicated for me because they assume I understand most of the stuff and don't really explain basics.
>None of these are problem until I'm in a photo.
>>
Maybe the wrong thread to post this but does anyone know the estimate shipping cost for the smaller Baby sales happy pack?
>>
File: tumblr_ny0kpz60tT1tro1tjo1_1280.jpg (158KB, 1280x944px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ny0kpz60tT1tro1tjo1_1280.jpg
158KB, 1280x944px
Chat Noir anon again! I found this pic of what someone else did for theirs but I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what they did. Does anyone know?
>>
>>8837992
I'd ask Lord Draconical. I wouldn't be surprised if he has already built one.
>>
>>8848735
Cardboard is probably the easiest thing to work with? You can cut it with scissors, its light, its can be taped or glued together. You're right, it may fall apart, but you can always redo it because its cardboard.

>>8849343
You want body paint. Don't worry about your unpainted face, people shouldn't be taking pictures of you when you're eating anyway.

>>8849490
Go talk to the people in the make-up thread about how to do make-up. Its hard to tell you what products or techniques to use without knowing your specific problems. Also, wear a wig. That's why it gets recommended so often, it looks better in photos.
>>
I know nothing about cosplay just wanted to ask a general question

I was at a video game event ages ago (league of legends) and wanted a picture with someone who was cosplaying one of my favourite characters.

thought nothing of it at the time but when I asked for a picture I did the arm around shoulder that I would do for anyone I'm taking a picture with in an informal environment

read a reddit thread about lots of cosplayers having a no touching rule which seemed weird, and then thinking about it don't really remember others doing anything but sort of standing next to them for a picture. Do you think I pissed her off/made her uncomfortable, I never go to these type of things and just did the same thing I might do at a gig or something for a photo.

Obviously autism level worrying here but I am bored and was just looking through my phone photos
>>
>>8849582
possibly, possibly not. we weren't there to see her body language/facial expression, so no way to really know for sure. normally you just judge by that, or if you aren't sure you either ask or dont do the thing just in case (most redditors cant tell and are afraid to ask, frankly, so the no touching rule is a pretty safe alternative)
I dont tend to mind if someone does that, as long as they dont reek or look really sweaty/greasy or something, but it obviously varies from person to person, especially if they're really worried about a costume being ruined (maybe they spent a lot of time/money on it or know a part of it is still fairly breakable) or have a lot of skin showing (if you'd find it weird hugging your mom/aunt if she were wearing that amount of clothing, the cosplayer likely finds it a bit awkward hugging you too)
Overall, if you're that worried, just do a "Do you mind?" with an arm gesture in future and it'll clear it all up. Otherwise, stop worrying yourself about something that happened years ago. She probably had a dozen guys do the same thing that con and doesnt remember you in the slightest, no big
>>
>>8849661
ugh, sorry about the wall of text, my phone wasnt breaking up lines properly
>>
File: Los1.jpg (103KB, 1256x600px) Image search: [Google]
Los1.jpg
103KB, 1256x600px
Probably not the most common predicament, but it seems fitting.
Trying to pretty up 2 old guns, and I've decided I want to make them Rathalos/Rathian (Monster Hunter) themed.
A bit stuck trying to decide on colors though, as far as what would be fitting.

I'll at least want to keep the colors equivalent, hopefully listing what colors I have to work with will make it more clear
>Crimson/Forest Green
>Dark Red/Dark Green
>Black/Black
>Tan/Tan
>Silver/Gold (Metallic if I use these)

I've got a mockup of the first one, and I recently realized that instead of getting grips carved out of black buffalo horn, I can whip up a program for our mill to knock it out of aluminum, giving me any choice of color I want for the grip and engraved face (via anodizing)

Opinions?
>>
>>8849661
I like to think I'm not that kind of person lol, I get permanently paranoid about that sort of thing like hygiene whenever I'm at some sort of more nerdy type event

and I mean it was league of legends nidalee so pretty light on the clothing, probably only slightly less than idk maybe normal nightclub outfit

hardly a bear hug, and not so much worried as in wondering if that was a weird thing to do if I was to go to another thing like that again.
>>
>>8847256
I'm gonna be honest, that costume is wayy too difficult for a beginner. When I was still just starting cosplay I made the mistake of picking a costume way above my skill level and it was just a gigantic waste of time and money. Don't make the same mistake, you will regret it when the costume comes out looking like absolute ass after you spent a fortune and 4 months on it.
>>
>>8849686

Yeah, you're probably right.
Not enough that it will change my mind about attempting it, because I really want to at least try. For reasons.
>>
>>8849496
it looks like they patterned their bodysuit themselves and sewed two different spandex together. The raised should bits is probably foam they sewed in underneath.
>>
Does anyone have recommendations for gothic buckle boots in the $40-$60 range? I need one for a Magik costume and I'd rather not spend $100+ on Demonia boots that I'll never wear again.
>>
>>8849711
you can probably find a pair of black boots for cheap, buy the buckles, and make the belts yourself
>>
>>8849732
That's the plan if I can't find a pair of boots I like. Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>8849690
>>8849686

Do you have any tips if I do happen to just charge headlong into attempting this?
>>
I need to make 3D spikes for armor, the largest of which is maybe 5 inches tall, and I thought that expanding foam in a loose mold might be a way to do this. I'm envisiong using cardstock to make a hollow mold of a spike and then just removing the cardstock from the spike. Could this work? Or am I better served just making cylindrical blocks of expanding foam and carving out the shape I want?
>>
any pepakura armorsmiths here?
i assume you guys that use that method use cardstock to print out your pieces.
Whats a good and possibly cheap printer that can print 110lbs cardstock?
>>
Any wing harness suggestions for Goddess Madoka wings? I'm making them out of lightweight foam so they'll be pretty easy to put on something and I was planning on hiding the straps underneath my bolero but any suggestions/tutorials for a rigging system would be very much appreciated. I figure the long hair could also hide a lot of things on my back should I need a ghetto rig.

Before I forget, too -- for the material for the straps should I just go with elastic? Or something softer/more padded?
>>
File: 201209141549219897[1].jpg (116KB, 536x1229px) Image search: [Google]
201209141549219897[1].jpg
116KB, 536x1229px
Pic related is what Im cosplaying.
I was wondering if I should make Lance of Longinus or Lance of Cassius for the prop and if anyone has advice how to make it? If all else fails Ill probably just get a book bag or make Pen Pen.
>>8837817
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=177713
https://www.honeycolor.com/dollyeye-brown
Also if you look up HoneyColor discount codes you could probably find one, and definitely find a bloggers code if not.
>>8839248
Probably foam board. http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=230832
You can also find sword tutorials on the site as well. For the fire and such, led lights and iridescent film would look cool for the purple flames.
>>8841021
http://fashionfirstaid.com/the-perk-up-adhesive-breast-lifts.html
>>8841959
Matte vinyl or matte latex will probably look the best. Custom printing would look cool.
>>8846781
Woah thats actually really cute. Ask in the jfash thread? You might find more luck there.
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 312x472px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 312x472px
Could someone please help me find a source for a pattern for this particular type of kimono? I wanted to make one with this sort of train, but all the patterns I've looked up are Simplicity ones that look only ankle-length, and the way it's shaped at the bottom makes me wonder if it's not just a regular rectangle shape extended, or shaped in some way. I know that most kimono are made up or simple rectangular shapes, but I'm really worried I'll end up coming across as this weeaboo white girls obsessed with kawaii Nippon desu and look ugly in it.

Any help would be much appreciated!
>>
>>8850508
That's an uchikake I believe.
>>
File: sakurasaber2.png (1MB, 900x1850px) Image search: [Google]
sakurasaber2.png
1MB, 900x1850px
Starting on Sakura Saber, but I am having a few problems with her top:
- Getting a pattern for her top is tricky; her top is considered Taisho-style, not sure what that means. Would I be able to get away with using a kimono pattern but shorter?
- Recommended fabric? Heard cotton works the best, but would a blend work too?
-Finally, any good tips, tutorials with gradient dying?
>>
>>8850508
Honestly if you don't know what this type of kimono is or what it's for, you're definitely going to come across as a weeaboo white girl obsessed with kawaii Nippon desu. >>8850524
is right, it's an uchikake and it's a wedding kimono which means it's not meant for daily or casual wear. Go register on ImmortalGeisha and lurk, a lot.
>>
File: $_35.jpg (22KB, 300x295px) Image search: [Google]
$_35.jpg
22KB, 300x295px
Hi /cgl/ the gf just told me she would wear a umaru-chan cloak if i bought her one, but only if it was "comfy and warm".
So here i am taking this golden opportunity asking where you guys recommend i buy it from!
I really dont want to buy the first shit i see on amazon for $13 and the shit is made out of fuckin discount fleece.
so yeah, suggestions?
>>
>>8850376
where do i get shoes like in the photo? ive tried looking up mary janes but all i get is tacky, leather folded type of shoes.

should i just go ahead and get black heels and sew an elastic black band around my foot like some cosplayers do? i think itll be cheaper that way but idk if that will look okay since ive never done it before.
>>
>>8850610
Not sure if it's great but Cos Picky has one that's not super expensive and from what I've read from reviews it's nice?

http://www.cospicky.com/products/himouto-umaru-chan-hamster-cape-cp153973?variant=10310869377
>>
>>8849565
>Go talk to the people in the make-up thread about how to do make-up.
I'm too noob for these threads. I can't really pinpoint the problem either? I notice only dark area around eyes in photos with less light?
I can agree on wearing wig for jfashion photos but what about normie photos for FB?
>>
File: s-l300.jpg (29KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
29KB, 300x300px
Hey CGL I am about to make my first proper question and I am about to buy this fabric. But I have no clue how many yards to buy. What would be a good amount to get.
>>
Gonna cosplay Chara from Undertale but cant find a suiting jumper/sweater/t-shirt in the green-colour. Help /cgl/?
>>
>>8850762
there's people in the undertale thread knitting their own sweaters. go ask them about it if you want to go down that route?
>>
>>8850765
Thinking about buing a green sweater or smt and then painting the yellow lines, but will check it out. Arigatou, anon-chan~ ^^
>>
File: 1411180383712148291.jpg (77KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1411180383712148291.jpg
77KB, 800x450px
>>8848297
McCall's sewing pattern M7217 might be a good start if you're new to sewing. I'd make it out of spandex. As far as the backpack, maybe try searching for "rucksack"
>>
What would be the best thing to use for those gold parts? Some kind of gold bias tape? Or would it be cheaper to make my own?
>>
>>8850746
for what, exactly?
>>
>>8850746
When you don't specify what you're trying to make with it there's no possible way we'd know either.
>>
>>8850814
Who is this? She looks like a ripoff of Fionna from Adventure Time.
>>
File: iac58rjaxxykm8a88ya7.jpg (372KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
iac58rjaxxykm8a88ya7.jpg
372KB, 1920x1080px
>>8850838
>>8850841
Sorry should have mentioned I am going to be making Kylo Rens robe out of it
>>
>>8850844
Oh God, don't use shitty printed fabric for this. It's not even the right color.

Get a heavy weight woven wool fabric, like tweed. As for yardage, I'm not entirely sure, but there are a lot of premade patterns for hooded capes you could buy that would tell you.
>>
>>8850851
Only was going to get that fabric because the one they used for the movie was a 2x2 basket weave of sorts which I can't really find but I came across that 3x2 one so I thought it would work. Will look into tweed though.
>>
File: homura1.jpg (41KB, 620x450px) Image search: [Google]
homura1.jpg
41KB, 620x450px
Does anyone know where I might be able to buy some cheap ruffles for Homura's skirt?
>>
>>8850723
Dark areas around your eyes in photos with less light sounds like shadows. It'd be pretty hard to fix shadows with make-up.

As for your hair, wash your hair as often as is necessary, brush or comb your hair, and style it nicely. If the style is with your hair down or loose, make sure you comb it out through the day.
>>
>>8848898
Use buckram. It usually comes it white, but you can very easily color over it.
>>
>>8837064
maybe a minimal amount of eyeliner on the top and bottom to give a smaller appearance?
>>
>>8849496
it's topstitched trim. You can see the stitching along the edge. You would not need to put anything inside the trim to get this look; the turned under seam allowance gives it that small amount of dimension.
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 560x873px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 560x873px
How do you get such volume in a wig like pic related? And how do you spike the ends so they look natural and not like unnatural plastic spikes (a la Malindachan)??
>>
>>8851139
She has a link to that wig tutorial on her page.
She uses stiff felt as a base for all the red parts in that wig. Also, back combing + hairspray for the spikes.
>>
I bought some straps specifically made for spurs, but the leather is bleeding pretty bad. Just handling them to put onto the spurs themselves made my hands completely black. Was it just a shitty dye job or something? Is there anything I can do to keep it from staining everything?
>>
>>8850896
literally any fabric store, even walmart's that have a fabric section. check in the trims or ribbon.
>>
These people still need help.
>>8836790
>>8840966
>>8842905
>>8846781
>>8849672
>>8850330
>>8850376
>>
I'm looking for the giant iron-on embroidery patches of the old Attack on Titan insignias. Anyone have any links?
>>
>>8837081
>>8837087
Also when you pull apart the pieces put some glue or fraycheck on the raw edges to help prevent shedding.
>>
>>8851312
For the anon who asked about where to get Attack on Titan patches, the Etsy shop Serephitic Embroidery still does them
>>
>>8841110
Medical tape. Cover your nips for protection first then push them as close together as you can, then use a strip of tape running horizontally to keep them in place. I'm a fatty with an f cup and I've been able to go bra-less before using this technique with minimal pain or discomfort.
>>
File: P4D_Naoto_Shirogane.png (196KB, 540x745px) Image search: [Google]
P4D_Naoto_Shirogane.png
196KB, 540x745px
tl;dr-- how do I do these pant cuffs

I have a pair of black stretch skinnies that work perfectly for these pants, but how do I attach pant cuffs that sort of "billow out" like these? I tried doing regular pant cuffs and because of the narrowness of the pant opening and the material I used, I can't get it to flare open or create that boot cut effect that I want.
>>
>>8851875
id line it with the same fabric and make the attachable peice like a triangle, add a black strip, fold, profit? Idk if itll actually do it though, you might need to test it out first on something. let me know how it goes?
>>
>>8850920
So it's like a folded strip that sewn ontop? Thanks!
>>
I bought this today because it was the only pattern any store in my area had for a corset/bustier type pattern.

Is there anything I should know about sewing this? I know people have said before that her bodysuit pattern is iffy. I've also never sewn anything this complicated before so it's quite daunting.
>>
I'm told you're a reasonable group of people
i'm relatively new to cosplay and i want to cosplay Corrin from Fire Emblem Fates
Are there any protips on using EVA foam I should know?
>>
File: Ian3.jpg (31KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Ian3.jpg
31KB, 800x600px
>>8849672
Bumping with its mate. Really thinking I'm going to opt for the full names instead of abbreviations
>>
File: Avatar_FE14_Female.png (4MB, 2468x3500px) Image search: [Google]
4MB, 2468x3500px
>>8852236
And I forgot the image
>>
>>8850376
Hey anon! I did Asuka this summer and I personally chose Lance of Longinus (I tried to make two but the second one failed) People really seemed to like the prop choice, I wasn't even in the con center for 5 minutes before someone cracked a joke about not letting it go into my eye. Hope that helps your decision making!
>>
>>8837054
Could it be stitch length?
>>
>>8845145
paper and tape forms tend to work pretty well. The key to this is generally messing around with preexisting patterns like you have been doing until you get a feel for what things look like in 3d.
http://pattern-depot.deviantart.com/, there is actually some good shit here.
>>
>>8844952
http://www.assassinscostume.com/altair/
not perfect but a good breakdown of the layers. You're not gonna find a guide that is clear on all the steps so you may have to find better tutorials for things like applique and weathering
>>
>>8850313
have you tried asking /po/?
>>
File: SCAN0002.jpg (2MB, 2480x3424px) Image search: [Google]
SCAN0002.jpg
2MB, 2480x3424px
I've been working on designing this Aquaman cosplay.
Right now I'm just looking for opinions on what you people think looks cool and what should be changed.
I'm worried it won't be recognizable as Aquaman if I went too ape-shit with my design choices.
>>
File: SCAN0001.jpg (2MB, 2480x3424px) Image search: [Google]
SCAN0001.jpg
2MB, 2480x3424px
>>8852372
This is a different version with a gold tasset instead of a green tasset.
>>
File: Show By Rock Cyan character.jpg (281KB, 1018x735px) Image search: [Google]
Show By Rock Cyan character.jpg
281KB, 1018x735px
So in the summer I plan on cosplaying Cyan from Show By Rock! I pretty much understand how to make every part of it, but I'm a bit confused with the top. How would i get in and out of it?
>>
>>8852412
install an invisible zipper in the side seam, under the armpit
>>
>>8852412
it's a jacket. it button in the front
>>
>>8852415
Thanks, I'll try that!

>>8852416
Yeah, but the collar would probably make it hard to get in like that.
>>
>>8852437
how, its a blouse and a jacket, they both unbutton.
>>
File: Sena_Kobayakawa.jpg (51KB, 310x405px) Image search: [Google]
Sena_Kobayakawa.jpg
51KB, 310x405px
How would I color an eyeshield? I've been thinking taking a regular one and just taping green cellophane on to the front. As for the decal on the helmet, would stickers suffice?
>>
what would be the best sort of fabric to make a lightweight sundress out of?
>>
>>8852607
If you want to use a real eyeshield, then green auto tint sounds like it would work.
>>
Has anyone here ever made shoe heels heels or complete shoes out of polymer clay oder resin or anything like that?
If yes, how did it work out?
Is it recommendable?
>>
File: 1452203974199.jpg (24KB, 503x337px) Image search: [Google]
1452203974199.jpg
24KB, 503x337px
i might be going to a con at the end of february on my own for the first time and i'm just really nervous. my friend was going with me but bailed on me and i just don't know how my con is gonna go.. lol

but i need help with what to do if i go alone.... i really want to cosplay something but i haven't even made my first complete cosplay yet (i have like 3 WIP) and this is kind of last minute.
i was thinking maybe wearing nanchatte or a seifuku? i'm not really into lolita and if i don't cosplay i wanna keep it casual.. this con is really givin me anxiety because i'm overthinking everything what do
>>
>>8852827
A random seifuku is actually pretty common at cons. No need to worry about whether it'd be weird. People also show up in kimono, current j-fash, and kigurumi. I hope you can have fun, anon!
>>
>>8852844
thanks anon. i'm just worried about making friends, because i hate to be by myself all day and just be on my phone or sit at a table alone... it's not that i'm self conscious, i just wish i had someone to enjoy it with.
>>
>>8852412
Anon please post pics of your cosplay because I need more sbr cosplayers
>>
File: King_anime_character_designs_2.png (243KB, 796x689px) Image search: [Google]
King_anime_character_designs_2.png
243KB, 796x689px
I need a few suggestions for what to do about this guy here. One is what kind of fabric to make his hoodie from. The coloring suggests a glossy finish, but not sure how nice that would look or if there's a better idea out there. I've seen some cosplayers use other winter-coat-like material.

The second is how to make his screw head buttons. I'm a novice at different prop materials.
>>
>>8840552
I actually did this for my monomi cosplay! I didn't want to buy two separate shirts because the fit is often a little different. I bought one white shirt, cut it down the side, dyed the other half pink and then when it dried sewed it back together. It turned out perfectly! Depending on if you're dying the side with the buttons, you may need to replace the buttons like I did. Hope this helps! :)
>>
File: harness1.jpg (45KB, 404x304px) Image search: [Google]
harness1.jpg
45KB, 404x304px
>>8847256
>>8849690
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eWKxs4z7MI for the tail thing. Overall pointers:
>yes, make a ducttape dummy/buy a mannequin
>do not attach the wings or tail permanently, but have an attachment system like belts, velcro or snaps
>look up all the fursuit tutorials you can
>seriously, do the last one a lot
>you can also check the rarsuit livejournal, it's more for monster suits
>wings-idea: look up bat fursuits and see how they do them

>>8850330
Pic related, I've used this sort of harness with W.I.T.C.H.-wings and it's real easy to make and hide. Basically
>a piece of EVA foam
>some backpack strapping (maybe opt for something softer if you can't wear anything underneath the top layer)
>two pieces of pipe on the back.
This rig needs slits in the back of your clothing though, should that be an issue for you.

>>8852238
Pro-tips for first time with EVA:
>don't skimp on the amount of foam if you need to order it from somewhere
>better yet, first sketch out all your patterns so you would see how big your EVA sheet needs to be
>invest in a good foam cutter, break knives work but KEEP THEM SHARP
>invest in contact glue/cement and a ventilation system, that shit stinks
>invest in a heat gun, doesn't need to be the most expensive one
>watch Evil Ted Smith's tutorials on how to form, glue, layer, paint, etc. on youtube
>not a bad idea: several thicknesses of foam
>also not a bad idea: ducttape dummy

>>8852751
Do not try heels from polymer clay. It will shatter. Resin is more solid, but I don't know if it can withstand the weight of a person an entire day/con.

Phew, sorry for the tl;dr
>>
>>8852751
If you want to sculpt details over a heel, I would suggest just getting a shoe with a heel a little bit thinner than what you want, and using apoxie sculpt to add details. A heel made entirely out of polymer clay would break pretty easily.
>>
>>8853477
I'd use yellow vinyl for the glossy part, and then something sturdy for the blue parts because I like to keep the shape.
>>
>>8853763

Thank you. You are a fucking god.
I'll come back for more questions/feedback if my ineptitude manages to produce something presentable.
>>
Hey cgl, i'm organizing a cosplay comp for an extremely small convention.
generally speaking, what are cosplayers normally judged on? like craftsmanship, accuracy etc? or what you think should be what is included. Any help is appreciated.
>>
How would one connect foam armour segments for a warframe costume? I'm thinking zip ties and a black under layer or maybe nylon webbing and same thing.
>>
>>8853763
>Pro-tips for first time with EVA:
thanks
i can draft the pattern and figure out how much i need
contact glue is something i forgot to think of
i'm not sure i can budget a heat gun in any capacity though, i do have space heaters and a hairdryer?
i'll look up the rest of that
>>
File: googly_eyes_40mm.jpg (173KB, 1000x841px) Image search: [Google]
googly_eyes_40mm.jpg
173KB, 1000x841px
How do you stop googly eyes from rattling? I'm using them to as rivets for armor and I don't want to sound like a percussive instrument when I'm walking around.

>>8853865
If you're going to be working with a lot of foam a heatgun is worth the investment. As a temporary solution, you can hold foam pieces about a foot over your stovetop.

>>8853855
Velcro and strapping.

>>8852372
Consider what makes the character iconic - for example, color scheme: usually wears green pants and a scaled orange top, with a yellow belt. He's blond. If you are at a comic con then just those aspects alone would probably get you recognized. If you really want to help people out then carry a trident or wear a hook.

>>8851875
The shape you're aiming for is cone with the tip cut off. Use interfacing to help the cuff stay in shape (and not droop or flop). Make sure that you can get your foot through the opening before sewing it to your pants.

>>8850816
Gold bias tape exists, in various widths. It's always cheaper to make your own but it's much easier and faster to just buy it IMO.

>>8850548
You can definitely just use a kimono pattern to do her top and just cut it to the length you need it. No clue about fabric type and dyeing, sorry.

>>8849888
How many spikes do you need to make and where are they located on your body? I have not worked with expanding foam before but it sounds like filling a mold could work; definitely worth a try. If you only need to make a couple then you could always go the carving route if it doesn't work.
>>
>>8854014
thanks
>>
>>8849742
Make mock-ups and test pieces of everything. Prepare for going way over your budget. Look up tutorials and try out the techniques in smaller scale first.
>>
>>8853865
I use the most budget one I have found, myself, it was €15. Other anon really isn't kidding when they say it doesn't need to be the best one available to you. If you really can't invest in it, I think a space heater would work the best for shaping, but I think it would really be frustrating.

>>8849888
I've made some spikes for Mako's Fight Club outfit, I made them just out of rolled up card stock/thicker red paper, covered it in a fuckton of layers of paper maché to hide the seam, then sprayed expanding foam into it. They're sturdier than they look and the expanding foam can take wall plugs, if you glue them in. Was able to screw the two big shoulder spikes in place like that, and those suckers are the height of a head.
>>
>>8854014
I think I need to make 7? They'll go on my shoulders. Since they're so small, even if the mold doesn't work, carving shouldn't be the end of the world. Thanks for the response.

>>8854208
Wow, I didn't need something nearly that big, but sounds like my plan will work. Thanks so much for your response!
>>
>>8854125

Brilliant. Thanks for your help. I hope to return with something presentable.
>>
>>8847256
Like other anons have said, this is WAY above your skill level. The fact that you are asking for help on how to make the tail, arguably the easiest part to construct, speaks volumes in itself. If you are that determined to do this, then I highly recommend you make this on a small scale model first so you can figure out wtf you're actually doing. You will likely find that it is a lot more difficult than you realized. If you survive that step then do a fullsize mockup before you purchase materials for final construction. You should do all your troubleshooting in the planning stages; this is not something you can just wing and hope for the best.
>>
>>8854328
>>8854125

Not that anon, but I'm also a beginner: what does it mean to try things out in smaller scale? Should I prototype attempts for a normal person of smaller size or just shrink to say, half-sized / fourth-sized proportions as an initial proof of concept / learning phase?
>>
>>8854208
>I use the most budget one I have found, myself, it was €15
My budget barely covers if I need two rolls of EVA
In fact, it currently doesn't
>>
>>8854338
I think they're recommending that for this person because they're doing some pretty advanced prop-ish things.

If you're doing prop work, making a smaller scale version is the cheapest way to make sure you understand how to use your materials, apply the techniques, etc before you spend lots of time and money on a full scale version.

If you're sewing, you can do a full sized version out of cheaper materials. You want to make sure the thing fits you, so doing a smaller version would be bad.
>>
File: goods-00071618.jpg (16KB, 148x400px) Image search: [Google]
goods-00071618.jpg
16KB, 148x400px
I'm having a hard time finding platform sandals like these. I know I'll never find anything exact, but all the ones I've found have had a platform too small or don't come in a US size 8 or 9 or have way too many straps. Any suggestions?
>>
>>8854014
>How do you stop googly eyes from rattling? I'm using them to as rivets for armor and I don't want to sound like a percussive instrument when I'm walking around.

if youre using them as rivets then im assuming you mainly need them for its roundness and dome. so why not just cut it from the underside and take out the black part?

simple as that.
>>
>>8853865
my heat gun was only $20, got it on sale for $15, and it's been hardy and serving me well for years. Definitely worth the purchase imho
>>
>>8853786
if you have no idea of any of that, then you're certainly not the right person to be organizing one.
>>
File: 7567657875.png (3MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
7567657875.png
3MB, 1366x768px
how the fuck do i make this /cgl/?
>>
File: Tomoko_headphone.jpg (29KB, 426x425px) Image search: [Google]
Tomoko_headphone.jpg
29KB, 426x425px
I have a very, very stupid question, but I'm planning a Tomoko cosplay, and want to add a "deats" symbol to some blue headphones, but I'm not really sure what to use, any ideas?
>>
>>8854644
make the circle on illustrator and get some good quality sticker paper to print them.
>>
>>8854621
i'll highly consider it if i get more into cosplay
on a related note, what's a good way to secure armor like Corrin's?
like, nylon straps?
>>
>>8854014
Sounds pretty straightforward, thanks brah.
>>
File: Harlequins.jpg (86KB, 873x627px) Image search: [Google]
Harlequins.jpg
86KB, 873x627px
/cgl/ I am tearing my hair out over this. I have the gems, the boots, the mask, the wig, everything besides the gun and the bodysuit. I just cannot figure out a base for the pistol, and I have no idea who'll do a zentai suit in quarters. or even to have the pattern match up. Am I screwed?
>>
File: 558045.jpg (49KB, 599x601px) Image search: [Google]
558045.jpg
49KB, 599x601px
>>8840711
>>8840711
Hey mate, you're in luck

Anovos just opened up another 300 orders for their Stormtrooper armor kit

Bad news is you're not paying the cheap pre-order price of $350, but their standard retail of $650. Also they won't be delivered until Q4 2016.

It's still a good deal though
>>
>>8854940
http://www.anovos.com/collections/star-wars/products/star-wars-classic-trilogy-imperial-stormtrooper-pre-order

Scratch that part about Q4 2016. They have some kits ready to ship right now, but if you don't get those that are ready now your pre-order will be set to a Q4 2016 delivery

>LIMITED QUANTITY OF KIT WITH COMPLETED HELMET NOW AVAILABLE. AFTER CURRENT STOCK IS SOLD OUT, NEW PRE-ORDER WINDOW TO OPEN FOR Q4 2016 ESTIMATED DELIVERY.
>>
I need a little bit of help with wig dyeing.

This is the perfect wig style I need BUT the color I need is a paler blonde, and this is the lightest shade they carry.

What is the best method to getting it to the shade I want?
>>
>>8855072
Do they carry a white wig? I think it's been pretty much established that it's impossible (or really difficult) to lighten a wig, so you might have to go from white --> the blonde you want.
>>
>>8855088
Unfortunately no. This is the lightest shade they have. The only other colors in this style are a caramel color and a peach color.
>>
What's the best option for a gold trim with metallic shine to it? Went looking for gold bias tape, only see lame. Want something that is a bit more pleather/vinyl look to it.
>>
>>8852256
Okay thanks! How did you make yours? I'm really stuck.
>>
where to buy astigmatism lenses ill get in less than a month?
>>
>>8850844
Imho I would get some heavy weight wool coating and distress it so it looks textured. It's going to be hard finding screen accurate fabric unless you hand weave the entire thing yourself.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1453331353282.jpg (39KB, 552x738px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1453331353282.jpg
39KB, 552x738px
>>8836148
I need help please, which dress is this? The only thing I know is that's Baby
>>
>>8854338
It means you make the item a fraction of the actual size for testing purposes, like >>8854369 explained. Generally you do this to save money - it's cheaper to create and construct something that's about the size of a your keyboard versus the size of your desk. Making a scaled version lets you figure out what needs to be altered, how everything should be put together, what techniques work, etc.

>>8854463
Cut off the extra straps and make a new shoe insert to cover the cut edges.

>>8854580
I ended up poking a hole through the back and putting a dab of hotglue inside.

>>8854641
Not quite sure what this is - a crown? How big does it need to be? Personally I would carve the black parts (from foam, wood, etc.) and make the sphere on top with resin. Maybe rig some LED for the center doo-hickey. What materials you use largely depends on how durable/light you need this thing and what equipment you have or are willing to purchase.

>>8854815
You're doing the figure on the right? It sounds like you are getting the zentai commissioned. The commissioner should be able to easily sew the suit in quarters. I think the most difficult part would be acquiring the diamond-patterned fabric; most likely it would need to be custom printed.
>base for the pistol
Expanding foam and paper mache.

>>8855072
There are allegedly ways to lighten wigs a shade, but I doubt you would be able to get that color to white very easily. It'd be much easier, cheaper, and probably even faster to just buy a white wig and curl it yourself.

>>8855119
By lame do you mean non-metallic? Joann Fabrics carries metallic bias tape but it does not look pleather/vinyl-ish up close. You could always make your own trim with your fabric of choice; obviously this would be more time-consuming.

>>8855295
Honeycolor sells toric lenses for astigmatism. Depending on your location it can take a month to ship, but they do have faster shipping options if you are willing to shell out the money.
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 688x339px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 688x339px
So i am Planning to make the First cosplay of my life. It is supposed to copy the Dota 2 champion Nortrom aka The Silencer.
Since I didn't did anything about cosplay, but some costuming Fo historical reenactment I got quite some sewing skills but no clue how to make this cosplay. Atm I am thinking about the shoulder/chest part and what material to use.
In first place i am looking for material suggestions, but I am open to anything and everyone. So if you're experienced please take a minute and help me with some advice.
>>
>>8855797
Pic related
>>
How often do cosplay meet-ups work on this board?
And what do you generally do?

I might want to host one and get a general idea on how to set up
>>
File: e6000-spray-4.0-bottle-us_1_1.jpg (36KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
e6000-spray-4.0-bottle-us_1_1.jpg
36KB, 600x600px
Anybody ever use this? What are your thoughts, is it as strong as normal e6000?

I'm gonna glitterize a pair of shoes. I know every single tutorial says modge Podge but I know from experience that is bullshit unless you only plan on wearing the shoes once.
>>
>>8855797
Look up armor tutorials. Cosplaytutorial.com has plenty, with lots of different materials to choose from. Decide what material you want to use, start making some paper patterns, come back when you start running into specific questions.
>>
I want to make some wings out of white craft foam but i can't seem to find anywhere that sells sheets of it larger that 18" long.
I would need it to be at least 24", any ideas where to find that?
My amazon search wasn't very successful either
>>
File: Hoodie Edit.jpg (42KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Hoodie Edit.jpg
42KB, 960x720px
Im not exactly sure if this is the place to post this but im looking for help. Well ive had this flash hoodie for years, but the hood always fits weird if im not wearing the mask. The fabric on the mask keeps it from going all the way back. Also with the mask down, it just dangles in from of my face, not quite fitting the way it should.

Im thinking of fixing this by cutting somewhere along the dotted lines, to fix the way the it looks with the mask up. Also to fix how the mask fits, i was planning on putting some stretchy fabric along the thick black line inside the back of the hood.

If anyone who has experience, has any ideas or specifics on what i should do, please let me know.

Also, on a bonus note, if there is anyway to keep the wings on the hood straight and not bend, that would be helpful too.
>>
>>8856157
Try out JoAnn's. I know they sell large rolls of fun foam in black I'm sure they have white.
>>
>>8856198
They don't sell the rolls in store where I live but I was able to order it online and use a coupon so the price wasn't so bad.
Thanks!
>>
File: Scissors.png (138KB, 389x236px) Image search: [Google]
Scissors.png
138KB, 389x236px
Does anyone know where I can either
A) Find plastic or otherwise dull metal-looking scissors like pic related or
B) Dull and stick together the blades of actual similar metal scissors so that they're unusable?
>>
So I'm planning my first cosplay with significant body paint and I have a few questions that seem really hard to answer (if google is to be believed).

1) What is the definitive way to set water based makeup? I see some people saying powder only, some saying spray only, some saying both. Can you use alcohol based spray on water based paint?

2) Between Wolfe FX and Mehron Paradise, which paints have better staying powder/less chance of transfer? I know the transfer part mostly has to do with how the makeup is set, but does the brand make a difference?

3) How much do I need? I only need to cover my hands and wrists, a few small portions on my body, and my neck.
>>
>>8856634

staying powder = *power

I'm so tired.
>>
I might make my own thread regarding this but I recall a previous lace market thread and people complaining about it and how things aren't being fixed. An anon states "well make a new website." Gonna attempt to take it into my hands however I want to see what changes and additions that people mainly want. Suggestions? Other than a mod team that will actually be around. (Which I will make sure to implement)
>>
Planning on using Clear Worbla/PETG with LEDs.Going to be using sheets that are about 36" x 36" so would a string of LEDs be able to give an even lighting throughout the entire sheet? Probably need to back one side with something to better diffuse the light maybe?
>>
>>8855162
My bf helped a lot! We got very very long wooden dowels and carved a spiral into them to start the twirl in it. We got hollow pieces like pic related- the one that twirls in and the holder (Can't for the life of me remember what they're called or what they're meant for, we got them from Home Depot or some similar store, I'm sure if you try to explain the screw on twisty pieces someone will know what you're talking about) We got them in the same diameter of the wooden dowels to attach them to the top.
Then from the other connector, we got sintra, cut it into strips that matched the separating bits of the lance (the DNA strand), heated them to create the shapes, and were done.
I really hope this makes sense, I'm sorry I don't have any personal progress photos to share, my phone which they were all saved on is long gone. If I can find a photo of mine, I'll post it in a follow up.
>>
>>8856888
Annnd I dropped the photo, sorry!
>>
File: latest[1].png (523KB, 652x731px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
523KB, 652x731px
so im planning on doing a skull kid cosplay.
i was wondering how i should go about doing his skin.
i asked this question to some of my cosplayer friends and they just suggested i wear brown tights/spandex and mark out a wood grain texture.

i kinda want to make it pop a little more than that though so I was wondering if adding thin layers of eva/crafting foam on the tights to give it that 3D tree bark texture.

I know that adds tons more work (luckily not much of his "skin" really shows anyways) but do you think thats a good idea to go that route? or would it just end up looking weird?
>>
File: eva lance.png (1MB, 1118x706px) Image search: [Google]
eva lance.png
1MB, 1118x706px
>>8856888
>>8856894
Sorry for multiple posts and my MS paint skills but here's some photos of ours. It's also worth mentioning that it was very top heavy, and we used clear fishing line to keep the two points on top together.
Sorry for the spam, hope this was helpful!
>>
>>8852637
cotton
>>
>>8856901
I think I understand what you're aiming for and I can see it working. However, I thin you should try and give it that "tree trunk" feeling and that means cutting the foam small and placing it carefully so that it looks like a trunk. Also, there's the painting that will come with that, I can see it working and depending on your skill it can look really cool.

Lastly, this comes without saying, but you better make sure you mark your knees and elbows really well so that you give yourself the necessary adjustments to be able to move in that.
Good luck, anon!
>>
File: viewImage.jpg (38KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
viewImage.jpg
38KB, 650x650px
Anyone has the pattern for a bandana cap like pic related? I wanted it in custom colours & intend to make one myself, but I'm super bad at patterning. Any help will be great, thanks!
>>
File: 20160209_083005.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20160209_083005.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
I am putting together a Mad-Max inspired costume, but am looking for suggestions on how to improve it/add on new pieces for a truly end of the world look.

Also if you know a good place to find post-apocalyptic accessories (such as websites) then please let me know.

I do know thrift stores and especially antique malls are often gold-mines for old or army stuff that is good for Mad Max costumery.
>>
>>8855743
>Not quite sure what this is - a crown? How big does it need to be?
it's something from Madoka Magica iirc, maybe a little smaller than a tennis ball?
>>
>>8857389
Which mad max? They're aesthetically similar but distinct.

I'm pretty new to coslay but for mad max-esque I'd say try making it both a little more flamboyant and a little more gritty.
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 400x400px
I need a decent pair of platform mary janes for a cosplay, but I don't want pic related because apparently they fall apart pretty fast. Anyone know of anything similar?
>>
My friend and I are wanting to cosplay two operators from Rainbow Six Siege. Normally I'd check a military surplus but they're part of the french GIGN. Any ideas where to get this stuff or similar stuff in the US or online? You think I could make this similar to how people make armor for cosplay?

Pic related, the more armored of the 2.
>>
>>8857389
the larp thread would probably be happy to help with postapo costuming
>>
>>8856634
Powder plus setting spray has worked pretty well for me. I think Mehron lasts longer but both brands are great. 3 oz/90 g tubs will be plenty for your hands and face.

If you need your hands a different color, I highly recommend arm socks. Go look on the MSPA thread, they have a paste bin with tutorials for that. It will last longer than paint and will not transfer.
>>
Looking for a tutorial on how to make a Captain America shield out of EVA Foam or possibly thermoplastic or sintra. I've found steel sled mods, but idk if that would be considered con-safe.

MUST be domed, as opposed to a flat circular shield. Any ideas welcome and appreciated.
>>
File: gertrude.jpg (98KB, 770x470px) Image search: [Google]
gertrude.jpg
98KB, 770x470px
Where can I find an emerald green curled(corkscrew curls) wig like Gertrude's from I Hate Fairyland? I could have sworn I saw the perfect shade and style on a US based site but can't find it.
>>
File: blea2xs.jpg (444KB, 3110x2073px) Image search: [Google]
blea2xs.jpg
444KB, 3110x2073px
Trying to make pic related. I have thought about taking an old-school wrestling headset, taking off the ear guards and using that as a base for some cut up leather that is held together with these
http://www.michaels.com/artminds-medium-rivets/10249765.html#start=34
And putting felt on the back of the leather for comfort. Am I overthinking this? Should I just drop $100 on a pre-made one?
>>
>>8857890
just rivet some leather straps together and run around shouting about "Mr Socko"
>>
File: pDSP1-20123742p275w.jpg (39KB, 275x279px) Image search: [Google]
pDSP1-20123742p275w.jpg
39KB, 275x279px
>>8857890
Old-school headgear for refrence. I'll be wearing a long, messy wig under it so I'm not worried about the black straps
>>
File: -1W1uT26.jpg (173KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
-1W1uT26.jpg
173KB, 1252x1252px
>>8857895
>>
>>8857575
This is so creepy I was going to post this exact thing
(Sage for not helping) INDEED these shoes are horribly designed and the straps literally cannot bear their weight or size, I have broken and repaired mine like a DOZEN times. I adore their platform/oversized look (another fun fact they're sizing is completely fucked. Everybody said they ran small so I got 11 for my size 10 feet and they're as big as size 13)

EVERYBODY STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM DEMONIA DOLLY 01
>>
>>8857927
This is exactly why I'm looking for something similar ... I'd rather not waste the money on something that breaks after the first wear.

>>8857888
I'm 99% sure Arda has something. Here's their directory for "emerald green," the wigs style really easy and are super thick so you can do the corkscrews yourself.
https://arda-wigs.com/pa_color/emerald-green/
>>
File: CV1kz5IUEAEF0sL.jpg (80KB, 600x607px) Image search: [Google]
CV1kz5IUEAEF0sL.jpg
80KB, 600x607px
Anyone know where to get a nice cardigan for Galko? I can handle everything else but I'm having issues finding a cardigan with such a light yellow shade.
>>
File: Nero_(Model)_DMC4.png (1MB, 828x1555px) Image search: [Google]
Nero_(Model)_DMC4.png
1MB, 828x1555px
Im just gonna ask again but this time about the whole costume, I think I might be able to get the devil hand down, but what about the costume? As a first timer, should I try and see about finding and altering some already existing clothes or just buy the costume online. I've tried looking for a coat and vest in pic related, but it is so fucking hard to find real life clothes similair to that. Plz halp b0is
>>
>>8858075
If you've got no experience with modifying clothes you might want to just dish out the money to buy/commission it. A lot of newcomers make the mistake of trying to upcycle thrifted/department store clothes and it doesn't really end well because they have very little sewing experience.
>>
>>8858081
Well, Im Ok at sowing, any advice on the coat and/or vest?
>>
>>8858087
Go find a pattern that looks close. Make a muslin mock-up, make adjustments as needed.
>>
>>8858098
Just noticed theres pretty visible stitching on the vest, should I cut up strips of fabric and make the sewing pretty visible?
>>
>>8857993
Can you find a white one and dye it?
>>
>>8858113
It looks to me like the vest is supposed to be leather, and those "visible stitches" are probably holes made with an awl and then sewn with thick waxed thread or twine.

I would also recommend looking online to see what cosplayers have done IRL.
>>
>>8858120
I read something where she used a standard sweatshirt-with-hood pattern and then split each of the two front pieces into four equal parts. Would this be the best option here?
>>
>>8858135
Sounds like a good place to start.
>>
>>8858144
Alright Ill try and get cracking more at this, thanks anon for your time
>>
>>8858150
Good luck. Make sure you make a mock-up before you start with your real fabric.
>>
>>8858160
Aye aye, I hope I can find a good store where itll sell this stuff in my city
>>
>>8849238
I used freezer paper and a hot knife, but you have to use all synthetic materials or it'll melt and look nasty.
>>
Anyone have experience buying from Purple Plum Wigs?
>>
>>8858408
I bought two wigs from them a few years ago and they are ok. Not amazing or anything but pretty good for the price.
>>
File: matrix-twins-mg.jpg (51KB, 650x490px) Image search: [Google]
matrix-twins-mg.jpg
51KB, 650x490px
My brother and I were planning on going as the twins from the matrix for our first time doing cosplay, but finding two white ankle length trench coats for 6' 6" men has proved challenging. We didn't find anything online. We planned to go to a DI/Goodwill and attempt to bleach white anything that fit, but none did. Any ideas (or other characters two tall brothers could do)?
>>
File: alphamatrix.png (156KB, 395x358px) Image search: [Google]
alphamatrix.png
156KB, 395x358px
I'm gonna try and cosplay Matrix from Reboot. Anybody have recommendations on how to apply green body make-up on darker skin tones? I only need to do the face, head, chest and arms. Also, whats the best way to apply it to a face with a full beard?

I can get away with everything else costume wise.
>>
>>8858610
Any good body paint will be pigmented enough to cover dark skin. (Wolfe, Mehron, Ben Nye, Kryolan) I've seen had to paint over a beard, but I don't think that's going to work super well. Any skin you can seen through the beard will be the wrong color, and you can paint the skin without painting your beard too.
>>
>>8858626
*never had to paint, God lord.
>>
>>8857993
Forever 21? I was gonna check there for the same cosplay.
>>
>>8858585
bleaching could destroy the coats, fyi. not everything is guaranteed to bleach to white either.
>>
>>8858610
if you want to achieve a lighter shade of green, you can always work in layers like Make up artists do. EX: use a white/ or even yellow base color (depending on the shade of green you want) then powder everything with translucent powder thoroughly. Then apply the green color you want on top, and powder. It will help knock the color down to a lighter shade and actually help it last longer with the powder.
As far as applying it to a beard, you can apply around the beard with a brush and just be careful, but if your beard isn't thick enough and shows skin through it you need to apply paint to the skin with a brush and by lifting your hair in the opposite direction of the grain (if that makes sense to you) to expose the skin you need to paint. and just dab the pain into the skin showing.
>>
>>8858927
^ To add on to my comment, you can also just fill your beard with a color to match the beard hair color so the skin doesn't show through (black hair, black eyeliner pencil to fill)
>>
>>8857993
Cotton-on or The Gap usually have that color around this time of year
>>
>>8836759
>Cheap, easy, and light: Cardboard as the base, details in Crayola Model Magic, paper Mache, paint, antique.
>slightly more expensive/time consuming: Cardboard base, spray foam carved, paper Mache, paint, and antique.
>>
>>8842905
You could make the base out of strips of cardboard and a long glove, stuff it to hold its shape(for the time being) and spray the outside with expanding foam, then carve it down to what you want it to look like, paper mache, and paint it.
>>
>>8843082
you can also get a really thin/cheap paint brush with a similar handle, rip out the brush part, paint it if necessary and hot glue and cigarette inside, if you can't find one.
>>
>>8843186
you can also brush out yarn to make dreadlocks, there should be a tutorial on youtube for it.
>>
>>8847020
if you carve upholstery foam into the shape, put nylon on it, stipple it with latex, and then paint it with pax colors, or acrylic paints and a gloss coat. With the Latex stipple, It will look more like "skin" and less like some stuffed cloth on your butt.
>>
>>8848738
I think cardboard would be a fine choice, you can use a matte setting spray if you want to seal it.

An alternative method would be a thick foam painted to look like the cartoon cardboard (thick cell shading but easier) for the helmet and shield/ sword. but you might want to stick with cardboard for the body since it can usually fold flat to be travel friendly :)
>>
>>8849343
you can always use nylons, depending on how far up the neck you want to go. They have a lot of tutorials for it on youtube.
>>
>>8847256
If you are headset on doing this I would say add dimension to the body suit/tail with craft foam scales,it might look off if the suit is painted with a large foam head.
>>
Does anyone have any suggestions for colored contacts that have a more natural look? I know that everyday contacts would be one approach but does Honeycolor or popular sites like that sell anything that doesn't enlarge or make the eyes look unnatural? I'm new to contacts so any advice is welcome.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1455192666094.jpg (104KB, 613x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1455192666094.jpg
104KB, 613x960px
Suggestions for a suitable fabric for the pleated parts on Yuuko's cuffs and in the side split of the dress? I've found pleated chiffon but it looks like I should be using something slightly heavier to keep the shape on the cuffs. Suggestions on how to finish the edges on said fabric also appreciated since every idea I have will result in losing the pleats at the edges. Thanks!
>>
Don't be dead help thread
>>
What kind of material would be suitable for a military uniform (namely, something navy-oriented) but not be really heavy? I can't stand heavy fabrics, and I don't want to sweat like a pig all day at a summer con.

>>8859237
ded thread ded hobby
>>
>>8858998

I ordered a spandex bodysuit, so what would be the best way of attaching scales? Velcro?
Also, What's a good, easy to mold/shape material for making them?
>>
>>8859293
Have you tried cotton drill?
>>
>>8859304
I'll check it out, thanks. I haven't looked at anything specific because I had absolutely no idea where to start.
>>
>>8859057
Some contacts have smaller limbal rings than others and that's what the enlarge effect is. Look at customer photos and see what the reviews say.

Personally, I got a pair of G&G GBT in Sky and I didn't think they had much of an enlarging effect. The limbal ring is basically non-existent and the color is relatively natural.
>>
>>8859318
Drill comes in a variety of weights, with the heaviest ones being used for corsets. A light or medium weight one will probably provide the breathability you need while also having the crispness you want for military attire. Go to your local fabric store, feel the various weights and see how they drape. Hope you find something suitable!
>>
>>8859299
You can cut them out of craft foam I the shape you need, lightly bend them with a blow dryer to keep the shape, paint with mod podge to seal, and then paint them the color.
As far as attaching them, I would usually use a strong adhesive like e6000 on armor, but it would depend since your suit is stretchy, you could make separate pieces and attach them with velcros like you said. (Look up craft foam scales tutorial for cosplay and you should see what I'm referring to above)
>>
File: 01sg.jpg (25KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
01sg.jpg
25KB, 225x350px
I have zero experience styling wigs. Does anyone have any advice or a good tutorial I could follow to get one to look like this?
>>
>>8859939
Buy a wig that's already got some spiking/shagginess to it, like the Apollo from Epic Cosplay. That'll do half your work for you. You can then enhance the spikes a bit using heat and hairspray, depending on the overall effect you want.
Thread posts: 330
Thread images: 103

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.