[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ichibancon7

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 170
Thread images: 17

File: header.png (69KB, 565x136px) Image search: [Google]
header.png
69KB, 565x136px
Alright, NC/SC gulls! Ichibancon for this year! Small convention in Charlotte, NC. Talk about the drama, the good, the bad, masquerade, etc. Let's begin!
>>
>>8794544
a friend of a friend went, from what I saw of the pictures there was enough bad cosplay to fill a thread
>>
>>8794551
There were a lot of terrible cosplays, especially when it came to Undertale.

A lot of the skits/dances seemed really uncoordinated and not in synch. It was a disappointed, but the winners were great imo.

> see a steven universe cosplayer leaning on a wall
>cosplayer stands up
>left red paint residue the shape of their back all over wallpaper
>>
>>8794551
It was filled with Steven universe and horrible Undertale cosplays but there were some really cool ones all around.

>>8794618
There was so much cringe in all of the skits other than the ones that placed. I didn't get Tohma's at all either.
>>
I found the masquerade a great time to go by the booze ticket line and chill in the lobby.

I don't drink, it just seemed like a better use of my time.

The overall event was fun, though.
>>
>>8794779
Yea I tend to enjoy a lot of smaller cons just because it's a lot more relaxed.
>>
>>8794544
Any pictures yet?
>>
>>8794618

The whole convention was gross and pretty much made not want to go to another convention ever again.

Just the "accept everything" attitude annoys me enough already. These fucking furries coming in with their ugly ass costumes. Them making these noises that would embarrass the lions they're trying to be.

The whole place was filled with the lowest scum of the human race. This is why you're shamed in public. I am glad I am not these kinds of people. But it was interesting being the most normal in a not so normal event. It put the shoe on the other foot and I guess I gained some insight on what these people deal with every day.

Doesn't make what I saw okay. Scum of the earth, still.

The dynamic behind the whole thing was annoying to me. The gameroom was shit simply for the reason that kids were getting beatdown by experienced players. And then those elitist fags wont get off the set up ever. Fuck you, ass holes. Same with smash, but it was worse. The people who clearly play the game alot just hung on the edge to ensure they win the 8-player bout.

Something else I didn't get was that at an ANIME convention there were cosplays for EVERYTHING you could think of. Why in god's name is John Cena there?

Panels were terrible. Unstructured and unrehearsed. The only one that I went to that was decent was the Star Fox one.

I think I remember talking to a fireld of mine and said "SJW" a little too loud and I think I trigger someone on the hall in which they responded "Shut up". But that happened behind my head, so I don't know whether or not it was directed at me. If it was, I ignored them like they could have me. One thing, I think these safe space retards forget about, is the mental capacity for self control. That also encompasses the skill to ignore what bugs you.

Honestly, it's hard to verbalize all my feelings. But if I could summarize, all I felt inside was rage. I'm a big fan of Zelda, but you won't catch me buying figurines and dressing up as Link.
>>
>>8794618

Oh, and I quoted this post because I wanted to mention memetale.

Most of the people seemed like they were legit lesbos. The ones cosplaying as the characters. Even the men were lesbos.

I thought it was an internet thing to say it was a tumblr meme game, but these people looked like what I would think the tumblr memetale fans would look like.
>>
>>8795142
>Something else I didn't get was that at an ANIME convention there were cosplays for EVERYTHING you could think of.
Son, were you born yesterday or have you not atteneded conventions in the last 10 some-odd years? This has been a thing since after anime hit it's peak in 2007. Can't remember the last time I went to a con and there was everything represented.
>>
>>8795181

My point was that folks weren't cosplaying as just characters from anime. At an anime convention.

And no. From the content of my posts, you should be able to tell that I rarely attend conventions. But this has been an issue I had since the first one I went to.
>>
>>8795142
Are you an elitist?
You honestly sound salty as hell
>>
>>8795196
And like I said, this has been an ongoing issue for a very, very long time. It's nothing new. I haven't seen a con with strictly anime and Japanese media being cosplays since the early to mid 00's. Since the rise of social media, cons have become a mishmash of all media and a general memefest when it comes to material being cosplayed and represented. You'll find a number of newer attendees to most conventions don't even watch anime. Furries have been around in the con scene for a very, very long time as well, at least early 00's is when I started seeing them. This isn't related to any specific con in general, but it's how the whole scene has been trending, It's a result of many factors that are out the hands of most of us.
>>
>>8795142
>>8795196
Video games have been a part of anime cons since the 90s buddy.
>>
Fucking pathetic and boring. There was nothing remotely impressive there. It's all the same Homestuck/Steven Universe/furfags/RWBY shit except with the addition of Undertale now. All the panels were poorly organized and hosted by people who clearly know nothing about public speaking. Parking was a fucking nightmare and the venue is clearly not big enough to accommodate all those people anymore.
>>
>>8795206

Salty about what, exactly? Salty is a term used in fighting game communities for someone sour for losing.

If you're referring to the video game segment I mentioned, then not at all. I played smash enough to hold my own. Same with Mario Kart. That said, I didn't camp the controllers because, after all, this is a convention. Tons of people are wanting to play the fucking games.

I like how there were two kids camping that gundam game for hours. They would not get off.

I actually had to intimidate some folks to drop their controllers.

It was just poorly handled.
>>
>>8795209

I'm aware. Just perplexed by it all. Raises the question of why it's called an anime convention.

>a general memefest

You're not kidding. But of the worst kind.
>>
>>8795142
If you can't handle a convention where not everything is targeted specifically at what you want, then you're probably better off not attending any more, as your expectations will not be met.
>>
you can blame the shitty photog FangFox who runs these cons.
Thinks he's amazing, but IRL is horrible at running cons & photography.
>>
For me the big thing was the attendees. They were rude as fuck. I kept getting pushed around, shoved, and cussed at by what seemed to be children. Like 'where is your mother holy fuck' young.
The problem with the panels being disorganized is that a 15 year old is really not qualified to run a panel but so many of them get accepted at these cons. The coffee line was obnoxious, as were most lines. The con has outgrown this space and they need to move up. Parking was impossible.
>>
The only panels I thought were worth any time at all were Charles Dunbar's, but that's mostly because I love history and mythology and I think he's got a decent stage presence. I've seen a lot of the panels he put on this year before, though, since he has a rotating list of them.
>>
>>8794551
Its a small con for locals mainly, so not many people really cared to put in effort. It's not really the type of place to put in too much effort into a costume.
>>
I didn't get shoved/pushed/cursed at, but so many of the attendees seemed to struggle with grasping basic con etiquette? It got frustrating trying to move around when people kept slamming on the brakes to chat or check their phones right in the middle of the crowded hallway/stairway. I also sat down with a group of friends to enjoy the free snacks for a bit, and people kept coming up and asking us for pictures even though we'd taken off some of the more cumbersome pieces of our costumes. That was fine and I had no problem politely saying no, but half the people just said WELL I'LL JUST GRAB A PIC OF YOU SITTING DOWN and snapped a picture anyway. Looking forward to seeing those showing up somewhere.
>>
>>8796348

My god, don't remind me. The highest traffic areas in the hotel were the big hallway where the dealer and game rooms were and the hallway where the rave was. I don't think there was a single point all weekend where both hallways -weren't- a congested nightmare because of the fuckton of people in them who would just stop in the middle of the crowd and refuse to move.
>>
>>8794544
I wanted to go this year but I'm glad I didn't when I saw pictures of the sardine packed hallways from a friend who's there as an artist.
>>
why the fuck did they ban selfie sticks but allow people to ride around on hoverboards
>>
>>8796370

They seriously need to relocate. I heard from a friend that they used to be in Charlotte, but now there's some bad blood between the con organizers and their old location for some reason. Either way, the current venue is quickly getting too small to accommodate the huge crowds and they need to move. I think this is the first time they've needed to open an overflow lot and that was almost full to bursting even with people parking ass-to-mouth on the sides of the roads the entire stretch of the way into the hotel's property and in the parking lot.
>>
>>8796348
>>8796367
I always made sure to direct people to the side if they wanted my picture. Part of the problem is cosplayers just stand in the fucking middle of the road and people taking pictures don't give a shit either.
>>
>>8795997
Wait. He's running stuff now? That explains quite a lot about this shit fest.
>>
>>8796527
Same here, but the people I kept running into weren't even taking pictures. Just milling around in the middle of the hall either talking to people or looking completely lost? Then again, last year they decided to hold a giant homestuck photoshoot on the main stairs while people were attempting to check out and get their luggage down to their cars, so the traffic jams weren't exactly a new thing.
>>
File: 1441988139510.gif (343KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1441988139510.gif
343KB, 500x281px
I've been to this con since the beginning and every year it gets bigger. Talked to hotel staff and they said that there is talk of them moving next year so we'll see if that happens. They also said they wish the drug use wasn't so rampant. I didn't notice but it's what they said. Now to my gripes about the con. Had only one encounter with rude staff member. Some loud mouthed overweight bitch who looks like it's painful to live.

I've unfortunately gotten used to huge supply of non anime/video game/Japanese cosplays that I'm just meh about it. Although the furries were extra annoying when trapped in the elevator with them and no way in hell am I giving them a "free hug" you never know who's under that mask getting off on groping young attendees.

The con definitely has outgrown it's space what with the nightmare parking, lines, and general gaggle of people in the way. It's is time for a move.

only 2 things I liked about the con were Dans panels and the flea market. The dealers room is just as insane as always. Haven't bought anything in one in about 5 years. I save all money for the market.

Overall I'll attend again as it is pretty close and I make my own fun like any smart attendee would.
>>
My favorite part of the whole thing was the unending scowls of disgust and disapproval from the bar/lounge staff.
>>
Speaking of moving venues, are theyre any places that are bigger that could accommodate the large crowd?
Thus far i think this is the biggest place yet, and if they were to move the next best location would probably have to be the Charlotte convention center, but theres no way the they could afford that.
>>
>>8796647
Oh lord lol i ate at that restaurant twice and dear god did they seem miserable. I will say, this had the most amount of homosuck/steven universe/undertale I've ever seen, this made for a miserable time for staff.
>>
>>8796652

From what I've heard, they actually used to be at a larger Charlotte hotel up until 2013 when the con's organizers pissed some people off and they were forced to move to where they are now.
>>
>>8796681
For some reason I don't think it had to do with the organizers. Most likely the attendees were awful.
>>
>>8796661

>the hotel restaurant

Ten fucking dollars for a grilled cheese sandwich. Fucking highway robbery, especially considering there are a shit ton of restaurants about a mile or so down the road.
>>
>>8795454
So you're saying you approve the decay of a certain niche to something broader similar to specialty cable tv networks?
Apparently, anime conventions suffer worse from decay with western tv, games, web and film compare to comic conventions which turned more Hollywood.
A lot of outsider types probably aren't supportive consumers for the medium.
>>
>>8796689
The burgers were 10 and were pretty good. I have no idea why you just got a fucking grilled cheese sandwhich.
>>
>>8796681
You mean the Blake hotel.
No, it about half the size as the one ichi has been at for the past two years.
It only looked big because of the one big hallway.
>>
>>8796681
>>8796938
The Blake hotel was terrible, terrible, terrible.

It looked fancy upon walking in. But once you got into the elevators, you knew you were in for a ride. Oh nice, the walls of the elevator has this interesting decorative shiny texture--wait is that aluminum foil?

One of the towers (with rooms) would move as the elevator went up and down the elevator shaft. Literally I went up there to a friends room and felt vertigo.

People were reporting heaters not working, leaks and needing to change rooms, and a plethora of some other shit I don't remember enough details on to divulge. I do know the hotel was closed not long after.

It had nothing to do with the con organizers and everything to do with a shitty hotel that was probably an inch away from being condemned. It was one of those things you wouldn't have known by just looking around the event space, or lobby which was honestly nice and impressive looking, but the hotel itself was probably held together by matchsticks and rubber bands wrapped in fancy paper (or aluminum foil)
>>
Did anyone actually take any pictures at the con?
>>
>>8797036

Honestly, no. There was nothing really worth taking pictures of. There were no real good cosplays and the numerous bad cosplays weren't catastrophically/hilariously bad, just more of a sad mediocre.
>>
>>8797036
SalkCity on Flickr should have his up eventually.

WashuOtaku on FB has already posted a few too.

There are some rare good cosplays I've seen posted like pic related but otherwise its slim pickings.
>>
David Adkins, fuck that dude. Bottom of the barrel joke pulling worthless POS. You aren’t funny, you aren’t a fraction as good as you think you are and the only people you attract are the people that need to stay home. Braggadocios, arrogant, and idiotic. Like was said, are you a pedo?

People talked about the bar staff and wait staff. Reason they are pissed is because they kept getting stiffed by every other con goer. Kids, do you know how to tip? I would say yes because they were leaving change but when you sit at the bar and have a burger, two drinks and call the waitress over just to pull out your damn phone for a call before getting pissed that she left you and then you don’t leave a tip. Fuck guys. 10,15,20% you know when you get that $12.00 bill. Move that decimal one space to the left to make $1.200. If you really feel like the wait staff shit on you give them that much because they still brought food to your ungrateful drunk ass. If you think they were friendly, as everyone I encountered was, give that amount and half that amount. We can divide, right? 1.20/2=.60+1.20=$1.80 Great, we are making progress. Now when you want a fucking drink and three times you ignore the waitress because you want to talk photography and text instead of acknowledging her you better not leaving a fucking quarter and tell me how bad she was. Mother fucker that that $1.200 and double that shit at least. She put up with your shit for longer than it took me to place an order of food, get the food, eat the food and get ready to leave and your gonna give her a fucking quarter.

My god that I don’t even believe in con goers are fucking cheap. Spend $200 in the damn dealers room and bitch about the price of food or having to tip. The fuck do you do kid. How about I come in your workplace, smear shit all across your counter and laugh as you clean it up because that is about what I saw happen every time I tried to eat at this con. A bunch of ungrateful kids spending moma's money
>>
File: 25f3i4i.gif (2MB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
25f3i4i.gif
2MB, 400x250px
>>8797103
>>
>>8796690
I'm saying that people who are interested in non-anime hobbies in addition to anime hobbies are going to be attending anime events and if a sizeable portion of anime people are also into other things, you're going to find them at the event. It's a giant gathering of people who like anime, not a gathering of people who only like anime. The convention is for the people who attend it and you appear to be having trouble with the fact that they don't all have a stick as far up their ass about following arbitrary content guidelines as you do.
>>
Photoshoots were a complete clusterfuck and the Undertale photoshoot was especially cancerous.

Yeah, there was a bigger turnout than expected and there weren't exactly any other spaces that could accomodate us better, but when you spend 45 minutes of a photoshoot focusing on SHIPS there's a problem. Not to mention they were about as obnoxious as Homestucks and wouldn't fucking move for other congoers going by. It was a complete disaster and I know a LOT of older Undertale fans I talked to there agreed. It was really disappointing too since I spent so much time on both my and my bf's cosplays just to be surrounded by loud teenagers in mostly half-assed costumes.
>>
>>8797390
>they were about as obnoxious as Homestucks
Hate to tell you but they probably were previous Homestucks.
>>
>>8797103

Normally I'd make a joke about Americans and tipping but those guys really deserved all the tips they could get with all the shit they had to put up with that weekend.

And I agree. Don't spend upwards of hundreds of dollars on price-gouged Japanese dust collectors and poorly-made plushies in the dealer room or artist alley and then turn around and complain about being broke when it comes time for shit that actually matters like food and your share of the hotel cost. That's why rule number one for a room host is to get everyone's share of the money up front before you even get to the con so they can't stiff you later.

I've found that most people who go to cons have no idea how to handle money, typically because nine times out of ten they're teenagers or college kids who have never had money of their own and get by on allowances from mommy and daddy.
>>
>>8797390
That's what you get for cosplaying Undertale.
>>
>>8797390
>>8797794
Steven Universe, Homestuck, and now undertale. The trinity of Tumblr has been complete. That aside, did anyone go to the masquerade? I had missed it other than a few awful skits.
>>
File: 1394015289902.jpg (61KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1394015289902.jpg
61KB, 720x540px
does anyone know the winners of the costume contest or have a link to that information?
>>
>>8797036
Not really. Only ones i took were selfies and a few cute girls i saw.
I tell myself each year i go that I'm going to take a ton of pictures but i end getting distracted and taking all of 5.

>>8797047
Can confirm, i was one of the many mediocre cosplayers there. But then again ichi is a small con for locals, so not many people put in actual effort.
>>
>>8797637
They were previous homestucks. In would know.
I used to be in Carolinastuck years ago and once homestuck stopped being popular they all moved over to Danganronpa, and once that stopped being popular they all went to undertale. And ALL of them activly use Tumblr.
>>
>>8798169
Homestuck is still way too popular. It is a literal cancer that does not go away or changes shape to Steven Universe and now unfortunately Undertale.
>>
>>8798169
As a former Carolinastuck mod, I'm sorry for what horrors you probably witnessed.
>>
>>8798213
If you're who i think you are.
You were one of the horrors, luckily i hold no grudges. Just some nightmares.
>>
>>8796582
>Had only one encounter with rude staff member. Some loud mouthed overweight bitch who looks like it's painful to live.
What did she look like?

>>8796652
>but theres no way the they could afford that.
They probably can.
>>
>>8797637
don't worry anon, this isn't news to me.
>>
>>8798142
No links but There was a Esther that won 2nd, some frilly thing got first and Bloodborne guys took best in show. There were some others but ehhhh.
>>
>>8797055
It normally takes salkcity around 4 weeks to get out all his pictures, but it's worth it. I've been photographed by him since 2013 and it always turns out nice .
>>
so what'd everyone cospaly as at the con.
>>
>>8798236
Fair enough. I'm not happy with how I behaved back then even I'll admit that.
>>
File: 24118240841_d1fcd83761_z.jpg (81KB, 640x422px) Image search: [Google]
24118240841_d1fcd83761_z.jpg
81KB, 640x422px
>>8798404
Me and the wifey went like this.
>>
>>8798502
oh I got a picture of you two
>>
>>8798533
Would love to see it. I have to admit, the con was not the best for any sort of photos. Every picture we took turned out like ass except outside near the rocks.
>>
File: 8178_93000327337_n.jpg (74KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
8178_93000327337_n.jpg
74KB, 960x540px
>>8798537
>>
>>8798502
>>8798594

Hey, I remember you guys. My friend lost her shit when she saw you. Good job on those.
>>
>>8796411
No one was riding hoverboards in convention space

>>8795997
He does not run these cons
>>
>>8798699
>>8798594
Thanks guys
>>
File: received_515215958639510.jpg (6KB, 145x225px) Image search: [Google]
received_515215958639510.jpg
6KB, 145x225px
Did anyone see me in my terrible last minute garb? If so I apologize to your eyeballs
>>
>>8796468
The reason they can't do it at the old hotel is because filthy homestucks jumped in the pool with their body paint on
>>
>>8799305
I thought that was at AZ? They also did it at Ichi? Man that fan base truly is a cancer
>>
>>8799412
That was at neither of them.
That was at Charlotte comicon.

( I was younger then and actually jumped in too, and let me tell you. never again that pool water quickly went from being water to Mario Sunshine goop in both look and feel.)
>>
File: 68252_105971629112_n.jpg (55KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
68252_105971629112_n.jpg
55KB, 540x960px
posing my blandtastic door selfie
>>
There were people actually having sex in the hallway outside of the rave on Saturday night
>>
>>8799438
that happens at every con.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>8798404
I went as Akuma Homura. Made tiny wings so I could navigate the halls easy, but they still somehow got broken on Saturday by weebs not knowing what personal space is.

I know a lot of photos were taken of me but I haven't gotten any back, so if anyone did take any photos please let me know!
>>
>>8799438

You say that like that's a new or unique thing. All sorts of shit goes on at every rave at every con ever.
>>
>>8799463
Cute
>>
>>8799463
>>8799463
Holy crap i think i stood beside you saturday morning while your boyfriend (or some random guy) helped you adjust your wings. Unless that was a different homu.
>>
>>8799515
That's my fiancé who was helping me! I had to break my big wings to fit them in the car and we were trying to figure out how to make them look less droopy before prejudging. We're you in cosplay? Or normie clothes?
>>
>>8799417
>>8799412
It did happen at AZ but it wasn't at the main hotel, it was the one just down the street from it. One year I also saw grey handprints smudged on the walls in the convention center and when I worked the dealers room a Homestuck came by our booth with one of those cardboard mystery boxes and was talking to their friend about returning it.. the whole box was smeared with grey from their hands.

I used to always know to look out for Homestucks but now the badly sealed bodypaint has spread. I walked into a women's bathroom last AZ and there was a girl at the sink coating herself with purple paint and I'm not sure if it was a LSP or an early Steven Universe thing but she was getting it all over the counter and it was coating the whole inside of the sink and I asked her to please be careful and she just looked at me all annoyed and went "It's water soluble." Yeah, and? It's convention center property, don't get your damned bodypaint all over the sink and counter that other people are trying to use.
>>
>>8799463
Love those socks! Where did you get them?
>>
>>8799545
I was an extremely shitty and rushed Nier trying to adjust my oversized sword properly on my back
>>
Why are people shitting on the cosplayers? The majority of photographers sucked balls. Have you seen the pictures? Some of the photographers hogged areas for a long ass time for terrible pictures !
>>
Who all did everyone hang out with? Meet any new friends?
I unfortunately didn't. I always tell myself each year I'm gonna talk to people and make new friends, maybe even get a qt girlfriend if I'm lucky enough. But my shyness always overcomes me.
Maybe next year if my oldness somehow doesn't get in the way like it always does.
>>
>>8799552
OH! I think I remember you!

>>8799548
Thank you! They're actually from bodyline, very nice quality. The sequins were seen on by hand though.
>>8799582
I mostly wandered alone. I brought a friend with me but once we got there she ditched me and was very disrespectful to my fiancé and I even though we paid for the hotel and gas AND bought her food the entire time.
>>
Wow, if you need to shit this hard on a con, just don't go. I had a great time as a Cosplayer, panelist, and masquerade contestant. There were a lot of really high level costumes there, you just has to actually look for them. There were also some pretty good photographers there; I shot with a few of them for promo material for some of my sponsors. Also, all of the staff I encountered were incredibly nice, and i encounter d A LOT of staffers, since I was, you know, actually involved with the con's programming and not looking for things to bitch about. Smh
>>
File: 1392173718403.gif (2MB, 404x251px) Image search: [Google]
1392173718403.gif
2MB, 404x251px
>>8799670
>don't bitch about legitimate problems with the convention!
>the convention was perfect because I got treated like a star by photographers!
>I know it was great and staffers were all professionals because I was involved with them and programming!
>>
>>8799547
That would be the Sheraton I believe
>>
>>8794544
Does anyone have any good shots of the masquerade winners or in general. I'm just seeing the Cringey joker and Harley.
>>
>>8799876
Here you go anon
https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewAlbum?uname=101211540896065649745&aid=6236280969475975697&start=0
>>
>>8799918
unless I'm retarded, these are pictures for ants
>>
>>8799697
Hahahaha that's the truth
>>
I'm surprised no one's brought up the dealer room fiasco yet. The line to get in wrapped around the entire hotel Friday and didn't diminish at all until five-ten minutes before it closed. I heard they even started giving out "take a number" tickets.
>>
>>8799950
I got in in a matter of 2 mins like 10 times. I have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>8799925
Yep, you're right. They're loading weird for me now as well. Photosnxs ok Facebook has an album full of photos from the contest.
>>
>>8799950
>>8799974
Yeah I got in fairly quickly after waiting for like five minutes.

Honestly I like the idea of a line, it keep the place from getting so flooded that you can barely move. Unlike AZ.
>>
>>8799463
Sup Hayley?
>>
>>8800017
Shhhh no names
>>
>>8800027

I'm fairly new to cons and what I'd guess you would call "con culture," but I've noticed that people, even if they know each other personally, tend to refer to each other by their character's name rather than their real one when in costume. I suppose it makes sense, but I just find it interesting that it happens.
>>
>>8800053
Depends, I've been around a decent while, most of us refer to eachother by handles or just real names.
>>
>>8800000
Yea the line is a really good idea. That place was so crowded to begin with. The dealers room as a whole kind of sucked though. No Bloodborne stuff=/
>>
>>8797055
I always post a few quick shots on my mobile phone while doing pictures at a con. I did post a few shots already on my flickr page and hopefully end of month I will have post my pictures from the con.

As for calls of cosplayers cosplaying anything and everything... well, that's at "every" con.

However, I do agree on one argument in the thread where if the convention is calling itself an "anime" con, then why have panels for Steven Universe and Star Trek (among others non-anime)? So yes, there is some legitimate grip about the con being more of a "pop-culture" con than oppose to strictly "anime" con.
>>
>>8800061

No nothing. It's the same handful of people who are at every Carolina con. Old white dude with a beard selling figurines and JoJo stuff, Asian couple selling Gunpla and blindboxes, Asian dude with PAKs, Figmas and t-shirts...
>>
>>8800077
I mean I was actually looking to buy something for once. It's just most of them sold the same thing the other guy did.
>>
File: 1351128288134.png (215KB, 496x307px) Image search: [Google]
1351128288134.png
215KB, 496x307px
>>8800079
yeah and they don't seem to even try to be competitive with each other. Guess that's what you get when I assume they're all friends since they're at every con
>>
>>8800077
I actually bought stuff from the DR this year. Mainly Yokai watch, Love Live, Monster Hunter, and a gunpla.
But yea it kinda sucked this year.

And the table selling stuff outside the DR lied to me saying they'd be there sunday, and they weren't.
i really wanted that Nico nendroid.
>>
>>8800220
what yokai stuff did they have? I saw the large dolls and some over priced watches
>>
>>8800228
That is exactly what I ended up buying due to impulse hype.
But they also had a few small figurines and keychains, also overpriced medals.
>>
>>8800220

I'm surprised those guys didn't get a scolding considering they had 18+ doujins just out in the open for anyone to see.
>>
>>8800267
maybe that's why they didn't show up sunday.
>>
>>8800274
>>8800267
Tho honestly it's incredibly hard to tell anyone age there. Nearly everyone I saw looked like a teenager so maybe they thought they could get away with it. Albeit from what I saw those doujins sold extremely poorly and I don't think they had them out on Saturday.
>>
Did anyone here actually end up going to the ball on Thursday?
>>
>>8800279
They did have them out on Saturday I think. The table in the dealer's room that had doujins didn't card you either unless you were trying to buy them; at least, it didn't seem like it. I usually get carded buying 18+ stuff because baby face but they let me browse to my heart's content before buying anything. I guess it's because they also had 15+ and all ages doujins, but they were mixed in with the porn too so I don't think that changes anything.
>>
>>8800303
oh speaking of card.
I noticed that this is the first year (i think) that they actually had 18+ wrist bands. Unfortunately I didn't know about them until mere minutes before the 18+ panel I was hosting on saturday began. I kinda wish they;d issue those as you're getting your badge.
>>
>>8800249
I saw none of that other stuff I wish I looked harder I've really gotten into the series
>>
It's not from this year. but I feel like it's a good example of teh difference between last year and this year in terms of effort.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xnk2PHhsMFM

Going from really good looking to just mediocre.
And jeez is this what the masquerade is like? in all of the five years I've attended the con I've never once gone to it.
>>
>>8800374
As far as the skits? Yea typically. I normally go to make fun of people.
>>
>>8800374
>>8800379
I honestly wouldn't mind doing a skit, but I'd need actual partners who can act well. And i know very few, and even less who'd go along with a skit I'd want to write.
>>
>>8800374
Wtf whats with all these dances.
I though skits were supposed be small scenerio acts. Not poor dancing to cringey music.
>>
>>8800459
Dancing is usually a pretty big thing in most modern cons. Wasn't the case so much 6 years ago. That being said, the craftsmanship this year wasn't bad. Most of last years were just walk ons that didn't make their costumes.
>>
File: feedback.jpg (249KB, 466x346px) Image search: [Google]
feedback.jpg
249KB, 466x346px
Feedback time guys.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uwg4Lf6sRJ1bHMCKo2rIKmRkgWJPcqIoD31MVPQGJ54/viewform?c=0&w=1
>>
>>8801113
Wahhhhhhhhhhh
>>
>>8801152
God forbid someone have an opinion right
>>
>>8801113

Hey, at the very least it seems that cons in general are finally cracking down on the millions of "character Q&A" panels that get submitted every year. I only remember three off the top of my head.
>>
>>8801195
Not that Anon but I agree. I looked at the schedule and the western themed panels is nowhere near 70%. You sound like your panel got rejected and now you're bitter.
>>
>>8801295
I'm not that Anon either I'm the one that commented >>8801195

cause I agree with them. at an anime convention I expect anime themed panels way more than other stuff.
>>
>>8801295
>>8801152
>>8801207

I'm >>8801113 my main gripe with that small rant was that on the scheduled there were multiple panels around the same show (like the four SU panels) and daily repeat panels (improve, anime song quiz shows, ect). Am I salty about rejected panels? somewhat yes, but those (my) panels weren't only ones I'm salty about (some of mine actually got accepted). Remember last year when there were five DanganRonpa Q&A panels? It's that shit that makes me rustled, There are people who have general good and fun panel ideas that are getting rejected in favor of fandom panels. And while fandom panels aren't bad and can be very fun, having a large variant of panels based on the same show is asinine. It makes the staff out to be a bunch of idiots who doesn't know how to schedule and are biased towards certain things. Hell, on Saturday I went to THREE anime quiz shows, with two of them being in the exact same room only an hour apart from each other. Two improv panels (also on saturday) who were being hosted by two different people, were put in the exact same room at the exact same time and and a big argument broke out.
The problem isn't about panel rejection, it's about the incompetent people picking and choosing what panels get in in favor of a bias, making the entire thing look unprofessional.
>>
>>8801375
The issue is, what you wrote doesn't sound like criticism. Your first paragraph was fine, but then you drew it out and accused the staff of having a bias. I'm all for critiquing cons, but realistically? Your criticisms are likely to be interpreted as someone who is upset about their rejected panels and not taken seriously.

People have been complaining about "western programming in anime cons" for, what, half a decade? It's time to accept the fact that the subculture has grown to a point where people aren't exclusively into anime anymore. Ichiban, like most cons, doesn't even claim to be an exclusively anime con, does it? So to complain that there's a small distribution of western panels is a little silly. Yes, there are people who want cons to go back to the old days of being exclusively Japanese, but you guys are a vocal minority, plain and simple. Unless a con explicitly states it is anime only, or their schedule literally is 70% western stuff (a cursory glance over Ichiban's shows that's heavily exaggerated), there's really no reason to change this.

Here's the thing, panel approval isn't just about "this topic is related to anime, it's approved". Your panel has to be appealing since programming is about keeping as many people entertained as possible, and the submission form has to make it sound appealing to the programming staff.

If you want to offer constructive criticism, it's better to list exactly what the issues were, with what panels, like you did in this post. That way, the staff in charge can accurately assess and deal with the situation to make improvements.
>>
Whatever happened to that drunk women who was laying out for an hour on the ground?
>>
>>8801460
Good to see the programming staff getting butthurt over someone's opinion
>>
>>8801496
Wasn't that the lady that the security staff dragged out and left in the middle of the lobby?
>>
The girl who was drunk in front of security is fine. How did you guys feel about the treatment of attendees by staff? Any complaints toward specific staffers?
>>
>>8801553

I didn't see any particular bad treatment. It wasn't like last year when you couldn't stand in front of/use one of those tables in the hallway for more than ten seconds without hotel staff shouting at you.

Speaking of tables, what happened to all those big round ones they used to have?
>>
File: 1321654108454.jpg (129KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
1321654108454.jpg
129KB, 333x500px
>>8801460
Not the anon your replying to.

But then they really need to change the theme to be a catch all for stuff and not labeled it as an anime convention so I know what I'm paying for right off.

If I go to an anime themed con I expect that to be the absolute majority all around. from panels to cosplay.

I know it hasn't been that way for awhile but things have gotten out of hand it seems.
>>
>>8801646
That's so true
And it doesn't help when a convention's cosplay staff are complete trolls that make fun of people's cosplay, but turns around and allows shit in their masquerade.
>>
As far as the tables go, I'm unsure where they were taken but I'm going to assume they were moved to allow for more space.

What complaints and experiences specifically so you have against the cosplay staff?
>>
>>8801553
Honestly the staff was pretty relaxed. Most of Donnell's cons are like that. That being said, I really wish kids would not block the only walking areas.

>>8801646
Blame Steven Universe, Undertale, and the homestuck crowd.

>>8801669
What did they allow in the masq that you didn't like?
>>
File: 1446778280090.gif (358KB, 210x131px) Image search: [Google]
1446778280090.gif
358KB, 210x131px
>>8801962
I do blame those crowds but it's an event organizers job to stay true to their name and theme and enforce these things for the good of the convention as a whole. If those attendees want to have panels and stuff centered around those types of things they need to make their own con and events.
>>
>We want an anime convention that ONLY does Japanese related programming!!!

Go to Animazement? Just saying. They allow any kind of cosplay but all the panels/events are strictly Japan related.
>>
>>8802136
I agree with the ladder but those groups tend to be more on the lazy side. Although i'll be honest, I haven't gone to a panel in like 6 years since the mass "including"
>>
>>8802221
I've been to the panels, but ever since that new guy took over for Greg with programming the panels have been shit. Which stinks because programming is the biggest part of a con imo.
>>
File: 1434645491703.gif (1MB, 400x261px) Image search: [Google]
1434645491703.gif
1MB, 400x261px
>>8802209
Green text is correct minus the capitalized only and 3 exclamation point.

I don't believe anyone said ONLY have anime related things nor was anyone yelling or angry about it.

An ANIME convention should be anime themed all around give or take a small small portion of other things. I've been to AZ and since it's a much larger con the non anime panels and things are absorbed fairly well but when your at a smaller in comparison convention like Ichi.
>>
>>8802325
(Finishing that last post)

They stick out so much so that it's time they got their own convention to muck up
>>
How do you gulls feel about video games (mostly JRPGs I'm talking about like FF and Tales series) being featured alongside anime at these conventions? They do of course come from Japan but they're not quite anime. Just curious.
>>
>>8802331
I'm all for it considering they are Jrpgs
>>
>>8802331
To be honest I think anime and video games have always gone hand in hand. Almost all of my costumes are from video games and they have been a staple at cons for such a long time.
>>
File: DSCF1360.jpg (4MB, 3216x4288px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1360.jpg
4MB, 3216x4288px
>>8798502
>>8799288

Oh hey, you guys!

I tried looking for your pictures on the facebook ichibancon page, but I couldn't find any; was hoping we could still talk about that bloodborne costume.

Heres the Doll I found as well.
>>
>>8802652
Ahah yea we are somewhere in that mess. Walridercosplay is my Facebook handle.
>>
>>8802264
Is it just the new guy though? The schedule was a piece of shit, but isn't it a group of people that make the schedule?
>>
>>8802950
Multiple people go through and approve them, one person puts in final say and places time slots.
>>
>>8803301

Which is why most shitty panels, if you're lucky, get shoved in the Thursday or Sunday afternoon spots.
>>
>>8803578
What constitutes a panel being shitty? How does someone judge was is shitty and what is good without seeing the panel first?
>>
So I've been wondering.
Who's the old Asain guy who dresses up as Sailor mars every year?
>>
>>8803944

The diminutive Asian dude with a limp? He always crossdresses. I wish I knew who he was, because he seems to be at every con in the Carolinas.
>>
>>8804024
yes him.
I managed to find him on FB since apparently he's really nice.
But I keep wondering who exactly he is, and why he crossplay as the same two characters.
>>
>>8804031

I've seen him as either a Sailor Scout (either Moon or Mars) or Serena. I think he's part of Ichi's staff because I've seen him do badge checks.
>>
>>8803944
>>8804024
>>8804031
>>8804040
That's Lee he's a really nice friendly guy, he's been going for years.
>>
Also something else I've noticed at this con - there were a fuckton of people with free hugs signs. Does ichi just not ban those like most cons do, or was there just a large number of sperglords who chose to ignore the rule?
>>
>>8805495
The ladder, it was mostly furries and Donnell does ban the signs at his other cons.
>>
>>8805495

Definitely the latter. Pretty much any con worth its salt nowadays bans "free hugs" signs because too many people, mainly furries, use the opportunity to cop a feel.
>>
So how did you guys feel about that MCR guy with the speaker blasting music all con?

Personally I want to whip a water bottle at him
>>
>>8806541
I think I saw a grand total of one person with him. That says alot.
>>
>>8795997
Yes he does. Fucking ask him. He manages this one now--hence why it's shitt.
>>
>>8806596
No he doesn't If he is saying that he runs the cons he is lying to you and you are dumb to believe him
>>
>>8806573

He got himself a posse/conga line going Saturday night, but the rest of the weekend he just did laps around the convention space and blasted MCR/Green Day nonstop.
>>
>>8806749
He just didn't stop unless he went near the balloon guy who just played new Slipknot. Also, the people dressed in soccer uniforms were awful too. They would block just about anything, even the stairs to the rocks.
Thread posts: 170
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.