[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brand quality discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 11

File: tumblr_nxejerUqk81qev783o1_500.jpg (91KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxejerUqk81qev783o1_500.jpg
91KB, 500x500px
In your opinion...
>Which brand has the highest quality? (materials, construction, print quality, etc.)
>Which brand has the lowest quality?
>Have you ever bought or not bough pieces based on quality concerns?
>Which Taobao brands have the highest quality?
>Best quality for the price?
Post some detail shots you have to prove your point!
>>
I haven't noticed any major quality differences between brands, but I do find that the two dresses I own from Innocent World are the most comfortable dresses in my wardrobe, lolita or otherwise.
>>
With time, major brands have been decreased their quality, I can only talk about AP and Baby though
>>
>>8754086
I'm constantly disappointed by new AP quality. Holy Lantern wasn't bad, but the one that really set me off was Cameo Window. The brooch was a cheap plastic that looked like children's jewelry and their fringe detail is cheap as Hell. For me I think that IW has the best quality for the price, but I agree that they all have kind of gone down hill. I'm still really impressed by JetJ, even if that's one that's suffered a bit as well.
>>
AP disappointed me. IW is alright, but doesn't have the level of detail and nice stuff (lace, trim, fancy buttons) that baby and AP have. I really like baby. Bodyline was disappointing, I know it didn't cost much so I shouldn't expect much but the wrist cuffs are seriously painful the lace is so bad
>>
>>8754065
>>Which brand has the highest quality? (materials, construction, print quality, etc.)
I haven't had a chance to own or examine everything from every brand, but from what I have owned or been able to see in person, so far IMO I think metamorphose is pretty high up there for me quality wise. The workmanship seems to be pretty solid, all the print stuff I've gotten from them they have taken the time to line the print up at the seam. Some of my AP stuff doesn't match up at the seam and it just looks a bit sloppy. The materials meta uses are pretty nice too - I love all the textured fabrics they use for prints. I just got their Dozing Cat release and I was pretty floored by it - I wanna say it's one of, if not the most, high quality dresses in my wardrobe so far.
>>Which brand has the lowest quality?
I can't say for sure as the only brand I've bought main pieces directly from (and not secondhand/used) is metamorphose and some taobao brands. Any negative experiences I've had I'm not sure if it's due to buying it used or not. I bought guilty meltin treats from AATP and the fabric seemed a bit thin compared to my other brand dresses and the buttons seemed to just fall right off the dress - unsure how much of the button issue was just from the dress being used/wear from the previous owner though.
>>Have you ever bought or not bough pieces based on quality concerns?
Yes. Probably won't buy a main piece from triple fortune or juliette et justine based off reviews or what other seagulls have been saying. Seagulls talking about recent AP quality also has me weary.
>>Which Taobao brands have the highest quality?
I only own one dress from them but I was incredibly impressed when I received Nameless Poem from Ista Mori. It feels like regular big-brand quality. The fabric is nice and thick, the workmanship is solid, and it's a unique design.
>>Best quality for the price?
meta cause i'm def a metafag now
>>
>>8754090
Agree. After the "boom" of major brands years ago, they were increasimg their prices (I totally understand) but the quality starts to decrease constantly. Except some, very specific (a very little number), the rest don't worth the price. At all.
And when prints started to being the most important thing on the dress.. well, I thought it couldn't be worse, but it was. Not just the quality; they were so centered on make the most elaborate print ever they made a lot of dresses with very poor construction.
Also I'm with you with the IW quality.
On other side, Meta have one of the worst quality ever.
>>
I can't say much about the quality of printed pieces because I don't own any, but I do own several plain cotton pieces from BTSSB, Meta, and IW, and IW's fabric quality is by far the best out of all of them. Sure, it's "just" cotton but it feels a lot softer in comparison.
Generally I'm a lot more pleased with IW's quality than other brands', though I will admit that I'm absolutely not a fan of their constant use of what they call "CD tropical 2way stretch" type of polyester in so many of their recent designs. It feels a bit like sandpaper against my skin, and I'll be so happy to see it gone.
>>
>>8754095
I agree about Meta. It's been some time since I've owned them, but I remember being absolutely amazed by the quality. I would buy from them again but every time they release something I like personal responsibilities pop up.
>>
What about elegy?
>>
>>8754065
i have only bought from gothic brands.

i would rank them as:

>High Quality
Moitie, Boz, h. Naoto Seven/Heaven

>Mid Quality
Alice and the Pirates, Black Peace Now, h. Naoto Anarchy

>Low Quality
Bodyline
>>
>>8754065
I only own meta and innocent world as far as brands go. I have a lot of taobao and off brand in my closet.

Meta is really hit or miss for me. The two pieces I have with the starkest difference are swan lace and moonlight night.

Swan lace has really soft fabric and the print is printed really nicely. It has a slight gold sparkle in it and overall it's really really perfect. By contrast, moonlight night has a gorgeous print but the fabric feels a lot thinner, scratchier and cheaper. It's honestly almost as bad as one of my ita phase bodyline dresses.

Innocent World is pretty consistent through the pieces I own; the fabric choice is perfect and the craftsmanship is excellent; if I ever have a bad day I can put on an IW dress and feel the lace and it makes everything better. My favorite pieces are definitely IW.
>>
I wear sweet and mostly older AP and BTSSB solids and prints, here's my take.
BTSSB/AatP is kind of shit but they make up for it in great designs. The quality is back and forth. Most of the time, it's thorough sewing jobs, but questionable fabric choices and embellishments. I've heard a lot of people complain about the sewing, though.
I have 2 pairs of baby shoes and they're of similar or lesser quality than my bodyline ones. I only wear them for sit-down events, but they're so flattering and cute.
On the other hand, I find AP really good quality with less favorable design. It depends on what you're into, obviously. I have two non-lucky pack heart bags, and I really love them. They're very soft yet sturdy. My AP dresses have good construction, usually very solid and the tulle layer is wonderful. I don't own any of their newer fancy chiffon ones, so I can't say about those.
>>
IW pleather is ass, I have a purse and a parasol and it is so thin and peels easily

I have a parasol from both baby and AP and I think they might be made in the same factory, cause the handles are the same
>>
>>8754095
Idk though, I have older meta stuff where the ribbons are cheap looking satin that doesn't match, and the fabric doesn't have a texture, just polyester tricot
>>
>>8754187
I have a pair of Victorian Maiden boots and was seriously pissed at how cheap the materials were. However, brands aren't known for their shoes, that's for sure; their clothing is still pretty nice.
>>
>>8754287
okay haha
perhaps I should've been more specific but I just own pieces from the past 2 years. "from what I have owned", the meta pieces I have are quite nice. I think we all can agree brand qualities have changes and evolved over time or within different time frames (like the stuff people have said about AP). I think older stuff in general will always be different (whether it's good or bad) but I took this thread as to speaking about current brand quality as it stands right now. I dunno how old you're talking about here but in general I'm not sure if you can accurately judge a brand's overall quality based off pieces that are more than 3-4 years old. like I said, I think we all agree and understand that quality can change a lot within time like that. I'm not surprised if meta's older stuff is iffy since some of the photos I see of really old stuff does seem pretty questionable (it seems like a handful of brand items from back then were occasionally questionable though)

of meta's older stuff I have heard positive things about their velvet pieces though.
>>
>Which brand has the highest quality? (materials, construction, print quality, etc.)
From the brands I've tried Moi Meme Moitie is no doubt the brand that is the highest quality; the fabric and lace chosen is always exceptional, Moitie pieces are well constructed, with sensible/functional corset lacing and always lined. Not all of their prints are as sharp as some brands but the prints are well done. There textured fabrics and details truly stand out for me.
AtBoz as well as Innocent World are also very high quality in my experience. Old school velveteen pieces and solids by Baby and Meta are good as well.
Both recent AATP pieces as well as AP has not impressed me construction wise especially the lack of lining and the poor corset boning and rose lace eyelets in AATP pieces. Some prints are also a bit too faded or too stark, it's not as consistent as some brands.
Yes mainly bodyline basics as well as recent AP or AATP.
From what I've tried Dear Celene, Surface Spell Gothic and Rose Melody.
This is tricky as Moitie does have a higher price tag in general although I do think it is worth. Perhaps Innocent World would be best quality for the price, IW is well priced and rather consistent with their quality. Their blouses are the best of all the brands in my opinion, due to their detailing and cut. I appreciate how there is sometimes multiple different types of lace used on a same piece.

Photo attached is of the most recent Moitie piece to enter my wardrobe which features black velvet lace all over the dress with a beautiful thorny rose lace trim.
>>
>>8754099
>Meta have one of the worst quality ever

Why do you say that? They have a tendency to use raschel lace which is a shame, but their overall quality is better than most Baby stuff. I mostly own older Meta though.
>>
This has been asked many times, check the archives. All of the brands have varying quality according to the release and the type of item (bags, shoes and jewelry are obviously poorer quality due to the materials).
>>
File: Q116AL_BABY_SKIRT_M_5.jpg (92KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Q116AL_BABY_SKIRT_M_5.jpg
92KB, 800x800px
Sorry if this isn't the right place for this, but I recently purchased a BTTSB x Disney Store collaboration skirt. What kind of quality can I expect from a collaboration piece? It looks really unflattering on the model and now I'm worried.
>>
>>8754325
>black velvet lace all over the dress with a beautiful thorny rose lace trim.
that is amazing. i have a couple simple MmM pieces but i hope to get something like this one day.
>>
>>8754383
I hope you can anon. I find that even their simple pieces are very beautiful. What pieces do you own?
>>
>>8754375
The quality is going to be really sub-par compared to regular releases, but I don't know too much about pic related. It depends on where it's sold; so if it's one of those "sold at Disney" pieces, then it's not that great.
>>
>>8754437
Oh dear. It was apparently sold through the Disney Store. Now I'm wondering if I got ripped off paying 140$ for the skirt, tights, and headbow. Really wishing I'd done more research before I purchased it, but I fell in love with the print.
>>
Of brands I've owned, in order:
>Victorian Maiden, Millefleurs, h.naoto, Innocent World, Metamorphose, AATP/Baby, Surface Spell, Dear Celine, Soufflesong/Neverland, newer Bodyline, older Fanplusfriend, older Bodyline.

I think differentiating between those last 3 was important because the quality level of both has increased in the past few years.

VM's small details and fabric quality are what put it above the others. I own a lot of velveteen and chiffon from them and it's just beautiful fabric that feels so nice to touch. Millefleurs imo has similar fabric quality to VM, I just think the patterning/fit, like the way the skirt lays, is a little less ideal. Still impressive for an indie brand. h.naoto has some of the most impressive detailing and value of price-for-workmanship of any brand imo, but the fabric quality and fit could be better on some things. But, I think it's going for a slightly less luxurious angle anyway.

IW has the best overall quality after that, but I echo the other concerns about their quality lowering lately, their print items have become very cookie cutter and barebones in terms of details and even their solid items are really similar to each other lately... I do prefer newer prints to oldschool ones, though.

Meta's solid pieces are much nicer than their prints. I haven't been impressed by either my cotton or polyester Meta print items, but the solids I've owned are gorgeous.

All of my Baby/AATP is either oldschool or at least 3-4 years old, like when they still did all those fairytale illustrative prints. Those particular print series are some of my favorite but are plagued by notorious wear issues (like the boning, backlacing and bleeding issues). My Baby which are older solid items are either amazing, or pretty underwhelming. I think Baby is just quite inconsistent.

Not much to say about the rest, don't have a ton of recent taobao experience as mine is all older.
>>
>>8754445
>ripped off
Do you know what full sets normally cost ffs. That's a very fair price. I think I saw the skirt alone for like 110 on WW, with shipping it would cost more than you paid for that alone
>>
File: fujimoto.gif (360KB, 500x398px) Image search: [Google]
fujimoto.gif
360KB, 500x398px
>>8754460
Sorry! I'm very new to purchasing Lolita. I've been lurking these boards for nearly three years now watching from afar, but only recently started purchasing and wearing. Thank you all for answering my questions.
>>
>>8754460
Iirc the skirt was 6000 yen
>>
>>8754460
All of the Baby items at Disney Store JP from the Alice collection are 50 percent off, I bought the skirt as well, along with the bag and jewellery
>>
>>8754445
Anon, I'm sorry to tell you this but you overpaid by $100. Cancel if you can and get a SS to buy from the Disney store
>>
File: 1-1.jpg (15KB, 151x151px) Image search: [Google]
1-1.jpg
15KB, 151x151px
>>8754579
Oh no... I feel so stupid. I don't know if I can cancel now that I've already paid the invoice. Sage for utmost stupidity.
>>
>>8754065
What DO you look for when you're determining the quality of a piece? I know very little about what is good and bad in the construction of clothing.
>>
>>8754595
If it helps, I recently bought an ApxDisney collab Alice necklace for $30. I needed to get my friend a b-day gift in a pinch. And she's always wanted brand and loves Disney. She wore it right away so I'm happy. But to get back on topic, I think this satin ribbon stuck on it looked a bit cheap.
>>
File: wp_ss_20151207_0002.png (214KB, 768x1280px) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20151207_0002.png
214KB, 768x1280px
>>8754619
Omg anon, this will make us both feel better. I was looking for a photo to show you and Some poor soul on eBay bought the necklace for $108
>>
The quality of AP's non-print dresses = underrated.

Don't get me wrong I adore their printed pieces too, pretty good quality, but the non prints just have something extra special to them.
>>
I just wish Baby would line their shit. I have too many dresses from them that I can't wear darker blouses underneath because they show through and you can see the interfacing.
>>
>>8754490
>>8754565

Haha I knew ww was overpriced compared to other Japanese sites but that's terrible. I was literally just looking at that a couple hours ago. I am searching for a dream dress and am so desparate I check everywhere
>>
>>8754709
I have a light colored AATP dress I love and it freaked me out at first seeing the splotches of print on the seams under the dress, I thought it was dirty until I realized that it just wasn't lined. The print is so nice though, I hate large prints. This is a tiny print with a lot of detail
>>
>>8754118
Moitie is not that great anymore. They tend to use that halloween cape fabric as lining on their newer chiffon dresses.

I tried.
>High quality
Millefleurs, AtPie, non-print AatP, old AP, Alice Auaa, non-print and old Baby, Carina E Arlequin, Metas customer service, Boz, h.Frill, polyester blend Moitie, AB

>Mid quality
printed AatP, new AP, BPN, 3F. Meta, Bodyline (because durable af), Marble, MAM

>Low quality
100% polyester Moitie, Miho Matsuda, Putumayo(not their cutsews tho), Visible, Violet Fane, And Romeo
>>
>>8754768
What dress is it?
>>
>>8754343
Yeah but as new things are being released all the time, this has to be discussed regularly for us to be up to date
>>
>>8754770
This is my blood OP in ivory.
>>
Highest in my experience would be IW or Moitie (but their chiffon stuff has always felt a bit flimsy to me). Meta comes close. Then lowest would be old I mean OLD AP (like from 2001), and certain BtSSB pieces. Bodyline is in-between because their fabric and lace are scratchy as all hell but they're built so sturdily.
>>
>>8754118
I would have BPN and h.Naoto switch places here since h.Naoto is too expensive imo for the quality they give you and BPN has nice older pieces.
>>
For the brands I've owned, I like the quality of Victorian Maiden (wonderful fabric), and BTSSB (especially older plain stuff but I have a new plain dress that is nice too). I've noticed prints aren't as nice in general. I like leur getter too. Old mm is pretty nice but size-limited.
Infanta is awful in my experience and I haven't liked other taobao much either. Bodyline for the most part is not nice in terms of material. Wearable but not high quality feeling at all, gross polycotton. For proper brands probably meta (shirred jsk's front was skewy?) and AP (I had a nwt blouse from AP with so many loose threads). That being said they're not that bad. IW's cotton blouses wrinkle more than my baby ones.
I heard a specific aatp dress was shit quality so I passed on it. Also Baby/ AATP boning is shit so I wouldn't ever buy boned jsks/ skirts. Not that they're my style anyway.
Haven't ordered that much, I've been put off. I really want to try akane and alois.
Second hand brand bro
Oldschool.
>>
>>8754769
Moitie has been using polyester forever, so that makes no sense. Polyester does not equal bad quality. Do you even own any new or old Moitie? Putting it below 3F, Marble, MAM and Bodyline, lol.

>>8754774
It doesn't need to be discussed every 3 months though.
>>
>>8754812
Oldschool anon, is it just me or have you also found in general that most brands old school items actually nicer than their current pieces?

They seem to be constructed better, quality is higher and they seem more durable.
>>
>>8754823
Other oldschool fag here:
In general yes but some very old AP pieces are kind of questionable and old BtSSB is better than new. Other than that there's no real difference other than a preference towards heavier fabrics & cotton lace.
>>
>>8754833
Thank you for your response anon, I've had a similair experience. I've only owned old school Baby, IW, Meta and Moitie so was not aware of AP's quality. My opinion was based on older Baby and Meta pieces compared to now.
>>
>>8754769
>Meta's customer service in a separate tier
So kek, but so true.
>>
I buy mostly indie brands so it's all I can comment on.
Forest samba has shit quality. The dress was so badly made it was nearly umwearable until I altered it.

Soufflesong/neverland has nice quality but it's kind of mixed. They use different fabrics than what you would normally find on lolita but it's over all okay. Some fabric can be shiney unfortunately.

Precious clove has lovely lovely quality. All the dresses I have got custom sized and they just fit really well. The top lace on the singing in the rain jsk leaves a little to be desired though.

The one AP dress I have, to be honest, was much lower quality than I was expecting. It was thin but soft, but I had thought for proper brand it would be higher quality as it was on par with some cheaper indie dresses I have.
>>
File: 9800yen.jpg (17KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
9800yen.jpg
17KB, 240x320px
>>8754823
Not always. I have the 2014 re-release of dessert OP and I think the quality is the same as old releases. For reference, I have owned things from the very early 2000s up to 2009. JetJ has gone down in quality at least.
If anything some old 90s meta raschel, baby crushed velvet, and even the satin ribbon corset lacing though lace on lots of stuff can be questionable, at least design wise.
>>
File: 125742rs.jpg (18KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
125742rs.jpg
18KB, 240x320px
>>8755010
More crushed velvet, just from lolibrary. I'd found some really hilarious stuff on auctions but lost my pictures.
>>
>>8754769
Nope.
AatP with boning in it? shitty as fuck, also that whole not lining the bodice thing baby does for both their brands will never take it much above bodyline tier to me
>>
>>8754375
It's pretty plasticky fabric, I saw it in store and was not very excited by it even though the design is cute. I bought the h.naoto collab accessories and shirt instead.
>>
>>8755023
I've never had any trouble with aatp boning
>>
I bought AatP Horoscope Underbust JSK for about $40USD.

To be honest, I was shocked by the quality.. it was complete shit.. had I paid full price for that I would have been incredibly disappointed.. The print is crisp, yes, but the fabric is pretty cheap looking..

I have many Taobao brands that quality is definitely superior to that particular dress (many much worse too, ofcourse).

Krad Lanrete is definitely a top Taobao brand, the construction and materials are just all around great in my opinion..

I will take some detail shots in the morning when its true light of some Taobao brands detailing!
>>
Victorian Maiden is the only brand that has been pretty consitent over the years imo (quality remaining the same without noticable price increasements). Honorable mentions go to Excentrique in terms of costruction and fabric quality. Juliette et Justine and Mary Magdalene used to be top tier as well... but yeah we all know they've been going downhill since 2011 or so.
From the brands I own I would say Miho Matsuda and some newer Jane Marple are pretty shit tier (compared to the pricing). Also Triple Fortune and some Btssb/Aatp.
Yes most of newer JetJ. I still love their pieces but not for those prices. Same with Jane Marple and newer Emily Temple Cute.
Krad Lanrete and Dear Celine from my experience.
Victorian Maiden hands down. Innocent World's non-printed pieces are also pretty solid.
>>
I own a lot of VM and while I do like it a lot I don't know why everyone praises it as the best in terms of quality. I think that MM tends to use nicer lace and lusher fabrics and the construction is comparable.

I actually also really like meta. I think that despite some of their questionable design and fabric choices the stuff they do right is absolute top tier.

Best quality for price as everyone has said is still innocent world. After buying innocent world chiffon blouses I can never go back.

Also, going through this thread, brand quality discussions are essentially just different item comparisons, because there is so much variation within the brand itself and because not that many people have personally experienced every single dress from every single brand.
>>
>>8754107
>>8754095

With IW, it depends on what style pieces you go for from them with regard to lace etc. One of my dresses has a full bustle which is all lace. It's stunning, with the lace being lovely quality.
>>
>>8754769
I was considering ordering from Miho Matsuda, they're not very good?
>>
File: 506032_07_b.jpg (104KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
506032_07_b.jpg
104KB, 480x640px
>>8755227
No. Please take a long hard look at their stock photos.
>>
>>8754095
Seconding Ista Mori for Taobao brands. I have one of their print pieces (Captain Mia) and not only are there tons of cute little details, the print lines up so perfectly at the seam I had trouble figuring out where the seam even was.
>>
>>8754065
>>Which brand has the highest quality? (materials, construction, print quality, etc.)
IW. I only have their stuff from 2008 and earlier, but it's rock solid, really sturdy and nicely constructed, I'm amazed every time.
AATP from the ones I own. The fabric quality is nice, but the construction and finishing (partially lined??) is just not there.
>>Have you ever bought or not bough pieces based on quality concerns?
No, unless it looks really crappy on the stock photos. If I'm not happy with it, I know I'll find someone who doesn't care and will buy it off me.
None have really satisfied me, to be honest.
IW definitely, especially since you can get their stuff so cheap second hand.
>>
Based on newer pieces I own, Jane Marple is really disappointing considering the price, and compared to their older stuff. Moitie is still the best quality brand I think.
>>
Everyone says IW so I guess IW but I'm pretty happy with my AP stuff, except for the print seams not being flawless on newer releases.
AATP. Not lined and the measurements are always wrong. Shirring is horribly tight despite the fact I should be under the measurements listed on every piece I own.
I've never bought Baby's shoes because of that horror story about shoes falling apart and ripping after one short wear.
Magic Tea Party have definitely improved over time, just don't order their older stuff and you'll get good stuff for the price. I hear good things about Krad and Ista Mori's construction, as well as R-Series.
Many Taobao brands, and I guess AP? I'm pretty easy to please though.
>>
>>8755990
Oh and though Marble makes a lot of weird shit, I have one amazing blouse from them that is easily the nicest lolita blouse I've ever owned (the lace is a little funky but it fits amazingly)
>>
>>8755227
>>8755255
I was always under the impression Miho Matsuda was sort of like the new BPN with just casual gothic items. I wouldn't compare it to other lolita brands.
>>
>>8755990
I have a velvet MTP dress and fooled everyone. Everyone thought it was AP. The embroidery and fabric was beautiful.
>>
>>8756405
>Everyone thought it was AP

Well they obviously didn't know much about AP. Their style is very distinctive and they hardly ever release velvet stuff these days.

One big problem with these threads is that a lot of people don't know what they're talking about.

>it's soft so it's good quality
>this chiffon is too light and not thick like my other dresses
>>
>>8756405
I'm pretty sure they've never seen any actual AP velvet then.
>>
What brands make their purses and shoes out of real leather? I know motie has a version of their bat purse that is real leather, Jane Marple I think has some shoes in real leather too. I just can't justify paying $200 for pleather when they could use real leather for that price and have it be much more durable
>>
>>8756832
The problem is that, as far as I'm aware, most leather is relatively uncommon in Japan, because it needs to be imported in for the most part. As such, it's very expensive. Thus why alternatives tend to be used.
>>
>>8756832
Moi Meme Moitie have released some bags using real leather before.
>>
>>8756834
Don't they have cows in Hokkaido though?
>>8756837
Yes I know they have, which I why I mentioned them
>>
>>8756843
They do have some cows - just look at Kobe beef - but as far as I'm aware, the numbers aren't huge due to the land geography.
>>
>>8756632
This. People who actually know something about sewing laugh so hard at these threads. Oh noes there's a loose thread on my dress! THIS BRAND IS SUCH SHIT QUALITY! It's hilarious. Most lolitas wouldn't know quality materials and construction if it smacked them in the face.
>>
>>8754065
Innocent World! They have some serious quality control and it really shows in what you receive from them. I've purchased a couple of their oddment packs, and they've marked things as "damaged" by finding the smallest pinprick in their fabric.
Baby/AatP. I've received so much from them with lop-sided bows, fraying edges that weren't finished properly, and their fabric choices are something baffling. Their shitty customer service is the cherry on top.
>Have you ever bought or not bought pieces based on quality concerns?
A big reason why I haven't really bought more OTT pieces is because I worry about quality. I don't want to pay more than the standard $350 for a BNWT piece only to find out that they didn't sew things right because there were so many details, production was more careless.
Hate to say this, but Krad Lanrete. Too bad they're a pain to buy from.
I really like To Alice's "lolita" store, Doll Paradise. I have a couple of chiffon items from them and they're softer than some of my brand pieces! The print quality is also really clear. The lace is Bodyline level, but I paid Bodyline prices, so I'm not complaining.
>>
>>8756632
You can help educate people but you don't be a bitch about it.
>>
Man I was thinking about reserving the stained glass AAtP print but I guess I won't now.
The wonky buttons on it were kind of putting me off and this thread put me off completely
>>
File: l328-2 (1).jpg (310KB, 700x1200px) Image search: [Google]
l328-2 (1).jpg
310KB, 700x1200px
I have to say some of the solid non-print Bodyline pieces have a nice quality for their price. I got pic related for around 23$ in a former sale and I was super surprised by the quality. It has nice chiffon layers, is super heavy and fits me perfectly. Some other pieces I used to own or saw in real were pretty nice too (why do we always have the urge touch other people's clothes...)

But I'm disappointed by newer AP as well like many others here. I have a few of their older 2010ish pieces and got a 2015 piece recently and the fabric feels so stiff and rough and the lace at the bottom isn't as nicely cut, it looks like a kids work at some spots. I'm a sucker for AP since the beginning but I don't know how long I can justify the decreasing quality with those prices.

Does anybody here know how the different brands produce their pieces and why the quality is worse than in the past? I never really thought about the producing conditions.
>>
>>8757088
Meta seems to have improved though. I just got a very recent skirt in the mail and it was nicer than the previous stuff I got from around 2011. AATP isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be, the fabric is nice and heavy and the details are there. Corset skirts aren't really meant to be corsets, and I don't know why people try to stuff themselves into things that don't fit anyway
>>
>>8755062
When do you think JM started to go downhill? I have some older pieces that are good quality, but I heard the fabric quality on the recent crown print was pretty terrible. I'm trying to decide how much I'm willing to pay for some pieces I want but the quality would be make or break at some of the secondary market prices.
>>

Personally, it's still MM for me. I'm not an expert on quality but something about the construction, fabric, and workmanship all ties together to be pretty solid. I was pretty floored by their fleur antoinette release.

VM would be a close second, but I'm going to have to echo what >>8755084 said - sometimes there's something 'off' about the dress, usually in fabric choice and lace. Their designs for me are also samey, but that's a different discussion for a different time.

I would have to go with AATP. I bought some of their things first hand, and I was not impressed.

>>Have you ever bought or not bought pieces based on quality concerns?
I buy what I think looks good, but I do have a tendency to stay away from BTSSB partially for that reason

Krad Lanrete hands down for me. I recently received a JSK from Amastacia too, and I was blown away by the detail and quality for the price ($137 total, shipping included).

Innocent World. I didn't list them at the top but they're pretty good quality and they don't break the bank the way VM and MM can. I just hate the fit of their JSKs, but I still love all their other items.
>>
I've only ever bought older AP but I really like it; the fabric is good quality and the lace is really nice, whilst my Infanta JSK is really nice. It's a nice crisp print, nice fabric and passable lace, with good construction.
I would have to say Bodyline, however I went into the BTSSB store in Paris and I was pretty surprised by how much of their stuff was polyester! I saw a friend of a friend wearing a BTSSB JSK and I honestly thought it was a replica cause the fabric looked so flimsy and shiny.
I was going to buy some BTSSB instore but I passed due to the fabric, even the socks I bought as a souvenir are really nasty and shiny. I expected way more from BTSSB.
I really love my INfanta JSK but a SurfaceSpell one I bought about two years ago was okay quality, not hideous but really I expected more. There were loads of loose threads on the embroidery and the brooch was really visibly hotglued and it looked really bad quality.
I would have to say my older AP pieces. I've never been disappointed with any of them, no complaints about anything.
>>
>>8755227
Miho Matsuda is good for the price IMO, I bought one of their skirts on YAJ for a low price secondhand and I think it's really nice. They're kind of mid-tier.
>>
>>8757299
Seconding this. I heard it was very recent with their chocolate print and some of the ones following, at least from the Otome thread. I think things like their shoes and bags are generally safe, though.
>>
>>8757299
Around 2012/2013 marks the point for me.

I bought the newest 4-strap shoes directly from the webshop, and the moment I tried them on, the buckle broke off.
Some newer dresses basically fell apart after maybe half a year of regular wear due to weak or unfinished seams. One 2014 summer dress that uses thinner fabric even ripped apart around the sleeves (though I'm skinny and nowhere near the max measurements). The quality of the newest book print is also questionable.

If you want long lasting clothes, don't buy new Jane Marple. I've never had any issues with my pieces from before 2012.
>>
>>8757578
that's really disheartening, especially given that they seem to have raised their prices quite a bit. I recently passed on the book print and chocolate print but I was considering buying a 2013 print for original retail price. Not so sure now. I do have the Scotland scarf OP and Royal order knit OP, and they're okay quality but I'm glad I didn't pay full price for them. Their knit prices are weird, too -- their cotton/acrylic blend cardigans are priced the same as 100% wool. The wool cardigan I have is good quality, but it's several years old.
>>
>>8754086
Can't speak for AP, but most of my AatP/BtSSB dresses get better the newer they are. Maybe for certain materials or techniques they cut corners now.
>>
File: tumblr_ny2ac4h2SN1r6m0q4o1_1280.jpg (224KB, 1075x1613px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ny2ac4h2SN1r6m0q4o1_1280.jpg
224KB, 1075x1613px
I only have experience in ouji

>Alice and the Pirates
I haven't been overly impressed with their quality. It's nice, but it rarely has the nice textures and embellishments that I've seen elsewhere. Pieces are fairly thick and well made but you can expect the texture to be pretty bland with some lace trim to break the monotony. There are a few exceptions to this in what has become their most expensive pieces; thaddeus, funeral procession, etc.

>Atelier Boz
Heavy high quality fabrics. Textured pieces look incredible and while the more plain pieces might seem bland they look and feel very high quality in person.

>Ozz On
Extremely underrated for jfashion, their blouses are absolutely gorgeous and quality is top notch. You can get their stuff for $20-40 secondhand and the quality is well above most burando stuff I have seen. Their blouses, vests, and shorts have all been made with heavy fabric, beautifully textured and have things like removable lace trim and convenient snap buttons. My only complaint is that their blouses were a bit rough.

>Dear Celine
Thin, flimsy feeling fabric that looks great. They're responsible for my favourite shorts, but their vest left a bit to be desired. Flimsy low quality buttons were the only thing wrong with the otherwise visually wonderful ouji set they put out. The shorts have generous shirring in the back, a small detachable buttcape and a nice design on them, but they are not terribly durable. Very prone to pulled threads getting caught on things and due to the very light fabric, it tears easily.

>Infanta
Another taobao brand, I've only gotten my hands on one of their pieces recently and am pretty happy with it. The fabric of the coat is thick and warm, it has a nice texture to it and feels pretty well made. My only issue is that there seems to be some sort of lining inside that uses white fabric and gets pulled through when putting in pins.
>>
>>8758437
A few years ago during their high-point around 2011, AatP's textured cotton was lovely, such as on Vampire Requiem. It was nice enough quality, aside for dodgy metallic threads on a pair of socks I bought (never again). I picked up the VR tote bag released earlier this year, and oh my word was it a shock. The fabric wasn't even the same as on the original dresses/skirts, and the print was much less crisp. It was unlined, and an awkward, rather small size. The freebie BABY tote bag which I got with my first AatP purchase, despite being in a colour scheme I hate (white and pink with the BABY logo), is a much better quality bag. I also recently picked up the Tourinot vest from its last release, and the quality isn't a patch on the fabric used compared to that on my other AatP vest and coats.
>>
>Alice and the Pirates/Baby, the Stars Shine Bright
>Best Piece I have owned: Claudia ~The Fairy Tail Princess~
>Worst Piece I have owned: Several AatP Corset Skirts
Hit or miss on quality of construction. Some pieces are great and the tailoring is generally really flattering for AatP, but some pieces have raw edges all over on the inside which should be overlocked because they're exposed. Crooked stitching has also been an issue on a couple of my pieces, but the absolute worst flaw I've encountered is the boning. They stitch through the plastic boning in its channels, rather than cutting it to fit, so the boning breaks apart more quickly than it normally would and ends up poking through the fabric after maybe one or two wears. I also hate their habit of using lace as "corset lacing". I have so many pieces where the lace is stretched because even if you don't pull it tight, movement throughout the day will cause it to pull and shift. It's so infuriating. I've taken to removing the ribbons from corset lacing pieces recently, and wearing them without, just to avoid damaging the lace. Pieces that are consistently good from them are their blouses. I've yet to have one with even a loose button and I think I've owned about nine or ten between the two?

>Atelier Pierrot
>Best Piece I have owned: N/A - Quality is usually pretty consistent
>Worst Piece I have owned: A OOAK fashion show piece, which has zipper issues
So far, Atelier Pierrot has been the one that impresses me the most in terms of their quality being consistent. I've yet to find any major flaws in any of the pieces I own from them, short of one, which was apparently a one-off piece made for a fashion show and sold after the fact. The invisible zipper doesn't work well with the delicate fabric. Other than that, they're very good about construction, and I've never had an issue with boning breaking through the fabric on corset pieces, unlike AatP.

>continuing next post
>>
>>8758990
>BPN
>Best Piece I have owned: N/A - quality is fairly consistent
>Worst Piece I have owned: N/A - quality is fairly consistent
BPN is really nice in its consistency, and I'm sad that they're gone now. Thus, I'm excited for Sheglit and all over that shit right now. Anyway, they're generally solid. Most of their pieces are well-tailored and sturdy. My only complaint is pretty much a complaint across all of the gothic brands: they need to stop cheaping out on rolled hems. I know it's quick to whip that chiffon through an overlocker, but it really takes away from the elegance of the overall look and is the one downer to BPN pieces I've owned with chiffon.

>Enchantlic Enchantilly
I know that their full shirring cuts aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I love the way they can be layered with blouses, overdresses, bustiers, and corsets as a result. Their construction is really nice, and the materials feel luxurious. They use mostly polyester, but it's a higher grade so it doesn't feel sticky or plastic. Their shantungs in particular are lovely, and I adore how well-made their bonnets are.

>Metamorphose
>Worst Piece I have owned: Cutsews; for some reason, they tend to be way cheaper quality than the rest of the brand
I've owned a lot of Meta over the years, and I've not had anything with a major flaw. The worst I've seen is a bit of crooked stitching on a skirt lining. Overall, they tend to be pretty good on the QC from what I can tell. The biggest issue I know a lot of people have is the old-style raschel lace pieces that they still make. I no longer have any pieces with that style of lace, but do agree that it's pretty gross. Their one downfall, I think, is in cutsews. The material always feels very thin and cheap compared to their main pieces.

>continuing next post
>>
>>8759008
>h.naoto
>Worst Piece I have owned: A FRILL cutsew
I almost didn't put this in, and it really should have gone in the last post since I'm going alphabetically, but whatever. h.naoto has surprisingly nice construction. Their designs are odd and not always a great fit for lolita, but their materials and quality tend to be pretty good. FRILL, GRAMM and BLOOD's pieces are especially nice, if you avoid BLOOD's older cutsew pieces. There was a weird period where everything was deconstructed in that line to the point that things feel like they're going to fall apart. Their present designs for FRILL and GRAMM fit nicely into lolita for the most part, and use materials that mesh well with gothic brands like AtPi and BPN.

>Ozz On
I have pieces from Ozz Angelo and Ozz Croce mostly. Both lines surprised me with certain details. One of my Angelo pieces isn't overlocked anywhere, but is fully finished with bias tape in a contrasting colour to the shell fabric. It's a strange detail, but I quite like it. Their materials choices can be a bit strange at time (one piece is a stretch twill, when a regular twill would have been fine), but I put that down to the fact that they sell a lot of more "casual" pieces where it's appropriate and works better. Their embroidery and trims are top notch, and they put a lot of lovely little details in, like key-shaped zipper pulls, or beads on hood-tie pulls.

>continuing next post
>>
>>8759019
>Putumayo
>Best Piece I have owned: Cat Circus OP
Their quality isn't great, but it's not terrible either. The materials are generally thinner and a bit cheap feeling, and their screenprinting often has a "sticky" feeling to it, but I've never encountered a manufacturing flaw as such. No crooked stitching. All necessary overlocking has been done, etc. Their socks are surprisingly generous, but I'm not sure if they're always shop exclusives. Some of the designs are pretty generic looking.

>Queen Bee
I have five pairs of shoes from them now, and all of them have been great. They're not as comfortable as a couple of other brands, but they have a lot of cute designs and their quality is really good for the price you pay. They've also held up to extensive wear, as they're some of my favourite and most-worn lolita shoes.

>Sheglit
I have only two pieces from them at present, but had a good chance to ogle their stuff in Japan a few months ago. They're really keeping the quality up and on par with when the designer was with BPN. The materials are unusual for lolita (lots of soft tulle layers and net lace), but of good quality and well constructed. I've not seen how well the corsets hold up to long-term wear yet, so I can't make a judgement on that as compared to AatP and AtPi.

>continuing next post
>>
>>8759027
>Yosuke USA/Leche
Second favourite shoe brand. Their designs are a bit more old-school in nature because they've been around a long time, but their shoes are comfortable and extremely durable. I've not found any manufacturing flaws on any of the pairs I own (I'm now up to four). Their colour choices can be a bit odd from one season to the next, but the fact that they do "staple" releases alongside new designs each year is really nice, because it means if shoes wear out, you can get the same design again later. I've not yet had to do this, thankfully, but it's something to note.
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.