[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

Unpopular cosplay/J fashion opinions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 34

File: tsulpr-l.jpg (122KB, 600x599px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
tsulpr-l.jpg
122KB, 600x599px
Unpopular cosplay/J fashion opinions that you have.

>Be me, 20 pounds or so overweight
>Going to gym everyday and dieting because I think body acceptance in cosplay is bullshit
>Fully aware if I want to do this as a hobby I should look the part
>>
That's not an unpopular opinion.
>>
>>8721345
starve yourself so you can cosplay papyrus too
>>
>>8721350
On it!
>>
You should be happy with your bady are you trying to be the skinniest person alive? I hope not.!
>>
I think To Alice shouldn't even be classified as lolita. It's too short and looks just like kids clothing on a kids mannequin. On the model I would just call it normal kawaii j-fashion. Which is a shame because they have some really nice designs.
>>
>>8721381
That was so engrish you can put it on an eBay sweater.

But none the less what you said is sweet and I'm sure OP will appreciate it.
>>
Most substyles are retarded. Not that they look retarded, but the concept that they need a name and rule set is retarded.

Like, Uchuu kei. Just wear space shit, don't make a big deal about it. Or Otome & Larme. Just wear pretty shit, don't make a big deal about it. Nanchatte is literally the same outfit in different color schemes. I like it, but still. Literally nothing too special to it.

As for whatever that new mental illness kei was called, just wear pastels and dumb health-related designs and stop making up rules and forcing it to be a real thing.

I understand making threads for inspo, but whenever a new substyle emerges, the white chicks of /cgl/ spend the entire thread trying to figure out the "rules" of it.

Itabags, too, holy shit, there are no fucking rules and you gulls still asked "CAN I DO TWO CHARACTTERS?????" etc. etc.

Maybe you guys are stuck in the strict lolita rules mindset, but with every other style, at least try and be creative on your own.

/rant
>>
>>8721437
Any rules in Lolita make me chuckle. It's usually the standard white girl living off her parents money claiming to be a Lolita elitist.
>>
>>8721412
I agree. I love their stuff to death, but I just can't really count them as Lolita because the stuff just looks too short...
>>
I'd prefer a basic as hell Lolita coord to a con-tier trend mess any day.
>>
>>8721444
nice trips

I think lolita is a much more specific style than any other jfash, though. The most creativity lolita gives you is color, accessories, and hair within reason. The other ones you can pick out just about everything that sticks to the general aesthetic you're going for and that looks decent together.
>>
Old school lolita is fugly.
Most sweet lolita is creepy, especially if the coord has childish motifs
>>
Gothic Lolitas try way too hard to be edgy, and all the people I've met who wear Oldschool remind me of hipsters, because they all chose to not follow newer trends.
>>
>>8721437
I don't think you know what substyle means.
>>
>>8721478
Substyle in this case meant "different fashions," sorry.
>>
Lolitas have the worst fashion sense.
>>
I think old school looks like shit and even most brand stuff from that time looks like a Milanoo tier lace monster to me. I've known about the fashion since the early 00's but it wasn't until the last few years that I've thought the style actually looks good.
>>
>>8721475
I think its because most of those people got into lolita back when old school was just regular lolita, and it didn't have any trends. It was all about NOT following any kind of popular trend. It's so stupid now, the second a trend is considered dead you are considered ita if you wear it (ex: peignoir, madonna crown)
>>
>>8721484
I don't think that's really that unpopular unless you're talking IN Lolita specifically. Like you're saying that lolitas have bad fashion sense because they like lolita.

I think it's generally acknowledged that a lot of girls in the fashion have no sense of what normal clothes should look like especially the girls you see who just buy a whole set and wear it out. At least a couple girls in my community live in jeans and a baggy t.
>>
>>8721437

I agree about the aspect of lolita substyles. There is no need for "pirate-lolita", creepycute lolita, Alice lolita, etc. Just call your outfit themed, it's not an actual substyle, like gothic.
>>
>>8721412
It depends on what your buying? Most of their stuff is just general j-fashion/otome, they have a seperate section for lolita. I have one of the ops and it's plenty long. The cut and design is similar to ap's melty donut
>>
I don't like how overwhelmingly popular lolita is in the west compared to other jfashions. I want to see more CPK, more fairy kei, more mori, and especially tacky old gyaru or visual kei. I love lolita, but its drowning out the other fashions.
>>
>>8721468
I agree with both of these so hard. All those dresses with cheap, bright white lace, or gingham details on a solid dress. Hideous. If lolita hadn't evolved the way it did I would probably never have been interested in the first place. And I like sweet loli with fruit and candy and whatnot but once people started wearing big full bonnets with empire waisted dresses and frilly ankle socks, that trend couldn't die fast enough. The name lolita already has such a bad reputation, ageplay-ish dresses and coords just embrace those stereotypes and make people assume we're all wearing diapers under our dresses and trading pacifiers.
>>
>>8721468
This is a pretty mainstream opinion, a few of us hold on to oldschool because we like looking creepy and dollish instead of princessy. a lot of girls doing "oldschool" now water it down so much it looks nothing like what it should be, and so is ugly for the wrong reason
>>
>>8721529
It seems like people are using the oldschool tag as a way to hide from criticism these days.
>>
>>8721412
Uhm, some items are lolita, some fairy, nanchatte, larme, otome. I have bought a jsk but i'm not sure until i have the item here if it's good for lolita or otome only.
My unpopular opinion is dislike the current OTT trend and i love pastel vomit prints, i like sweet lolita from the 2010 era and plain gothic lolita, a la Moitie or old school.
>>
Girls who buy cheap on Tao Bao are missing the point of lolita.
>>
>>8721509
I think that's more a problem of how popular the other fashions are. Sometimes if there isn't interest, there just isn't interest, and even if there is it can fizzle out quite quickly. I remember when gyaru was pretty big in the west, and now you'd be hard pushed to find a single person wearing it in some places.
>>
>>8721468
Both of these opinions are as old as the hills and pretty common.
>>
>>8721561
call me a brandwhore but i feel the same way
>>
>>8721561
Lol nah mate, I think /you/ are though.
>>
Lolita is used as nothing more than a costume by most.

I DONT see the point of hanging out with anyone just because we wear the same general style. In all honesty, Lolita's sound like boring weebs with no interest outside of Japan and the fashion.
>>
>>8721623
You sound like someone who has never met another Lolita.
>>
>>8721626
I have and all they talk about is lolita and anime/Japan and occasionally Korea.
>>
Meta is my favourite Lolita brand. I feel like other brands are just always trying to out-do one another with similar prints, fancier, more elaborate dresses, but Meta just do their own thing and don't seem to pay as much attention to the Baby-AP wars.
I know a lot of their stuff is crazy, but I love them for it. I also like that they still release beautugly couch dresses, I feel like they don't forget their roots.
>>
I love old school, yet I think peeking bloomers is just as heinous as visible petti. If you want a little more fluff at the base of your skirt find some better socks. Flashing your underwear is not kawaii.
>>
I feel really bad about this, but any time I see a fat Lolita, I just think "they'd be so much cuter if they lost weight". I feel kinda awful about it, but I just cringe when I see stretched out shirring, boobloaf, dresses almost bursting at the seams, and fatty-chans whining about brands not making clothes for "real women". I almost think that, if they love the fashion so much, they'd make things so much easier and accessible to themselves if they lost weight.
>>
File: IMG_3102.jpg (173KB, 1280x972px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
IMG_3102.jpg
173KB, 1280x972px
Lolita shoes are god-awful.
>>
I'm kind of jealous of obese lolita's and the way they can just use their fat as a petticoat/ don't need a petticoat.
>>
>>8721640
Baby and AP are really the only two brands that are in the Frilly Arms Race. None of the classic brands give two shits about OTT and Moitie's been doing its own thing since forever.

Also I feel like the OTT classic trend came from the sweet brands and is kind of just OTT sweet repackaged with different colours and motifs.
>>
>>8721437

Every fashion in the world has "rules" if you want to fit into that fashion. And when NEW styles pop up, you'll want to know what those "rules" are so you can stick to it.

>just wear pastels
>and dumb health-related designs

congrats, you just made rules for menhera!
>>
>>8721659
Design wise, they are fucking cute. Quality wise, I'd say yeah they are on par with Payless.
>>
>>8721654
I have never heard a single FAT lolita complain about lolita not being made for "real women". Sounds like some made up "i saw this on tumblr" bullshit.

Most girls appreciate that brands are making things big enough to stretch around their asses.
>>
OTT sweet is by far the best lolita style.

Also, I actually like how popular Lolita has become. Just wish some other styles got more time in the spotlight as well.
>>
>>8721726
Fat lolitas complaining about brands not making clothes for "real women" is basically half of the replica debate.
>>
>>8721446
>>8721412
It's not, it's soft sister. No Chinese lolitas consider it lolita, and those who do are babby newb cosplayer types.
>>
>>8721571
>>8721529
Really? I see tons of sweet lolitas still, so I thought it wasn't common.
>>
>>8721615
I take it you shop from taobao.
>>
>>8721523
Whateva whateva I do want I want. Sweet for life! LOL
>>
>>8721561
Lol wtf? You can buy whatever the fuck brand you want as long as it IS lolita. Gtfo. XD
>>
>>8721751
No darling, there is a difference between "Brands don't make shit for my fat ass" and "brands don't make things for 'real women'" I'm a fatty myself and I follow a lot of fat lolita blogs and while yes there is some gripes about being fat and not being able to fit in brand, I have never seen anyone use the phrase "real women".

Most fat lolitas, hell, most fat people, are not delusional enough to think that their obesity or lard makes them a "real woman". which is why i brought up this fake "i saw this on tumblr" shit.
>>
>>8721561
I was about to ask then what is the point, then noticed you said cheap.
>>
>>8721889
It's the same with Bodyline.
>>
>>8721453
same
>>
None of the 'classic' dresses AP and Baby have been spitting out look like classic to me. It's just sweet in a navy colorway with crowns instead of candy. Certain cuts of some dresses can probably be coorded in a classic way sure, but that's not how anyone wears them...
>>
People need to shut the fuck up about how much they hate OTT and hate that lolita looks like a costume. So many seagulls are the ones who really treat it like a costume. They create some fake elegant victorian lady persona, pretend to be friendly irl then shittalk their comm members online, complain about how lolitas are supposed to be lovelies, get offended by Disney creating some ita bodyline look because it insults their precious culture.
Even more subtle things like the "music when wearing lolita", "lolita hair/makeup", or "lolita in public" and such. It's obviously not everyone, I know lots of level-headed girls, but some people have a totally different personality and mindset when wearing lolita, even if the outfit is passable by normalfag standards.
Whether or not your outfit is a costume is determined by the way you carry yourself while wearing it. Maybe I do have a felt cake on my head, but at least I keep it real.
>>
>>8721674
Glad you feel this way. More Meta for me.
>>
>>8721561
I agree for the most part. Taobao is great for things like blouses, bloomers, shoes... it's when you get to main pieces that things get iffy. A couple is fine, like I have a few Infanta JSKs I wear to meets like ice skating where I could potentially ruin my burando. But if you have a closet full of taobao dresses, you really need to stop being lazy and learn how to buy secondhand, it costs about the same...
>>
>>8722147
Getting a hold of Taobao/indie clothing is infinitely harder than finding secondhand brand. Plus it's not laziness if you just happen to actually like the design
>>
>>8722147
What? So if it's not burando it's not Lolita...? Like the post above me said, can you not just like the designs better?
>>
>>8722156
I've been trying to find this old dear celine piece for years now it seems. finding 2nd hand indie is hell, and finding 2nd hand taobao indie is a special hell
>>
>>8722156
I'm not talking about people who have a handful of taobao dresses because they like the design, I'm talking about people who have 15+ taobao main pieces and little to no brand.

I'm not sure how using a shopping service to order from taobao is so much harder than using a shopping service to order from mbok or Y!J. Unless you're trying to track down specific taobao pieces secondhand because you really like the dress. But those aren't necessarily the kind of people I'm talking about, and I don't think the OP was either.
>>
>>8721726
Did you not see when Haenuli were deciding whether to make a bigger size for a release or not depending on how many orders they got, and when it looked like they wouldn't have the numbers to make it worth it, they literally got mobbed by fatty chans having a go at them?
>>
Lolita does have a problem with bullying. It's just that whiny newbie weebs say it so people write it off more often than not and get stupidly defensive.
>>
>>8722224
It's true, it's a serious issue
>>
>>8721503
Agreed. There is sweet, classic and gothic. Everything else is a theme. Even with oldschool there is sweet, classic and gothic oldschool, it's not its own style.
>mfw newfags tag a cutesy puffy lace-covered coord "oldschool gothic" because it's BxW and doesn't have a print
>mfw I have no face
>>
>>8721630
Then the lolitas you met were boring. My comm has girls involved in art, history, politics (legit, not just whining on tumblr), medicine, science etc. When we meet up we start out chatting about the fashion but usually we end up talking about all sorts of shit, not just glorious Nippon. Were the lolitas you met all teenagers or something?
>>
>>8721475
Most people I know who wear oldschool coords just enjoy them sometimes and do follow the latest current trends they like too. I'm not sure who you are using as example but I've yet to meet or even read about any Lolita who just does oldschool exclusively. It would be kind of nice if there were a few, actually.
>>
>>8721867
>>8721869
Contain your newfaggotry, anon-chan.
>>
File: image.png (79KB, 285x400px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.png
79KB, 285x400px
>>8721641
They've held this rogue opinion of bloomers showing for a long trime, Anon. Somehow I don't think it's going to ever go away. :^)
>>
>>8722234
>Even with oldschool there is sweet, classic and gothic oldschool, it's not its own style.

Ugh, so many people don't get this. It's really easy to understand but you have people who have been into the fashion for years who call all old school gothic and even all black items gothic.
>>
>>8721641
It's not about adding fluff to the base of the skirt, it's about showing the fact that you're showing cute bloomers. They're an undergarment, but hardly your panties. You should be wearing panties under the bloomers.
>>
>>8722166
Ok fair enough, but yes finding a specific taobao piece you love (posting endless wtbs after the reservation) and dealing with shopping services can be a real headache. I've only bought off Y!J Auctions once and after the costly, stressful experience I'm never doing it again. Brand is generally easy to find/research/get good stock pictures of.

7/29 of my dresses/skirts are brand, because I only feel like it's worth forking out for something special; if the design is generic enough I'd rather have more bodyline and indie to wear regularly, that and there are taobao dresses I love for their specific design.

I just find it strange to call it 'lazy' when Taobao stuff is more 'obscure' and hard to find secondhand. I thought one would criticise it being cheaper, if anything.

>>8722164
Life is suffering. I just had to settle on a dress in the wrong cut and colourway because I've only seen it secondhand twice... Ever.
>>
>>8721870
You should read more facebook posts I guess because this is definitely a real thing. Even out of lolita I've been called a "Barbie doll" by a fat friend, in person. As in, to my face. This was as she was complaining about Victoria's Secret not making underwear for "real women." So uh. Get out more? Or just be more observant of how other fat people talk to skinny people.
>>
File: thumbs up jesus.jpg (83KB, 720x480px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
thumbs up jesus.jpg
83KB, 720x480px
>>8721640
>Meta is my favourite Lolita brand
I'm not really into lolita anymore, but I still buy clothes from Meta. Because oddly enough with their cuts and designs I can get away with wearing them in more "normal" j-fashion
>>
>>8721654
I've never heard a fat Lolita spout the 'real woman' BS but I have endured some mighty whining from some heifers too fat for even 1/2 shirred brand. So I guess you are 1/2 right? They should just give it up and get custom and buy Haenuli's fatty dresses or get their shit altered to fit. I'm not saying fatties shouldn't Lolita but they need to suck it up and realize that they are choosing cookies over burando and it's their own choice to do so and therefore they need to hush.
>>
>>8722281
I'm curious, what kind of pieces do you use for normal wear? I'm trying to buy lolita pieces to do something similar right now for mine.
>>
>>8722287
Usually I get their skirts and vests. I also like using some of their printed one pieces that are a singular piece and not too busy.
>>
>>8721412
Not only that, the quality of the items is actually not even good enough.
I ordered once and I'm never doing it again. I've seen seagulls saying similar things too
>>
>>8722166
Yeah, I'm 5'11" with linebacker shoulders. Some of us would rather go with custom made items from taobao. You sound snob.
>>
I hate that mori-kei doesn't have strict rules like lolita has. Almost nobody in the west seems to understand it and they look like triftstore hippies
>>
I enjoy wearing my handmade stuff more than I enjoy wearing brand. I have a lot of both and while I know that brand is better constructed and has more interesting prints, the dresses I find myself going back to are always my handmade ones.
>>
I love seeing lolita as a costume rather than a fashion. I just love creating a character, thinking about what she'd do for a living, what her personality is, etc. and then coming up with a style she'd wear based on those. I don't do it everyday because it can get impractical at sometimes, but thinking of it as just a fashion all the time gets really boring and mundane.
>>
I love super sweet prints. Even the babyish ones. Toy Parade is my favorite print. I have no desire to be five years old or whatever. I just love the prints. Unfortunately, the ageplayer label seems to get slapped on your head if you wear them??
>>
I hate using Facebook to keep in touch with lolitas. Most of the time, we have nothing in common except the fashion, but then I feel pressured to add local lolitas because I'd look like a jerk otherwise... It was so much easier to just allow someone to follow you but not follow them back on Livejournal.
>>
>>8722393
same same
I also use it as a confidence tool. People think I'm super confident but I just use the 'fake it til you make it' way, and constructing stories and characters in my head does help.
I'm usually a vampire princess or a cute demon. It sounds lame but it's more fun and helps me phase out the negativity
>>
I think it's fine if fat people cosplay as long as they style themselves well and pick a flattering outfit. Those are few and far between but they do exist.
>>
>>8721640
Meta is my fave brand because just, Meta gives no fucks. Like they make some of the strangest, tackiest things, and I'm all about that life.
>>
>>8722166
OP was talking about girls who run after the cheapest offbrand option for instant gratification instead of working hard to invest in good quality pieces over a long period of time.
>>
>>8722234
To be fair, back in the old school days, anything black was considered Gothic. The distinction between sweet lolita in black and actual Gothic didn't come until later, just go through DL 'Gothic' tag.
>>
>>8722461
>cringe
>>
Rhapsody wigs are cute.
>>
if your undeskirt is even slightly limper than your dress, i will judge you. get a proper petti or stop wearing underskirts. layering a poofy skirt over a limp one looks so fucking bad.
>>
>>8721659
I agree. I would like them much better if they had more tapered toe boxes, like AP's glitter shoes.
>>
>>8722454
Holy shit, this. I have a facebook that's only used for lolita comms and messaging family. There's little to nothing on it except for profile pictures. I feel like I must look so weird and mysterious (in a bad way,) I wish I could just follow everyone on lj or something similar.
>>
>>8723232
I have the same thing. But, I enjoy keeping the privacy because I have no trust of humanity and facebook.
>>
File: images.jpg (8KB, 232x313px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 232x313px
I love sack dresses.

>dd is sugar pansy free waist jsk
>tfw big tidded and everyone gives me shit for wearing free waist stuff
>>
>>8723199
THANK YOU! I fucking hate it when skirts are significantly poofier than underskirts. It looks like you're wearing a really awkward peplum.
>>
>>8721623
I know a lolita who has no interest in other Japanese stuff
>>
>>8722431
DESU the only time I've EVER heard anyone use the term ageplay is on /cgl/. Never had someone say it in person.
>>
>>8721488
you must be blind
>>
>>8721659
THOSE shoes are cheapo and fugly
so please buy some nice brand shoes like pic related
>>
>>8723509
God yes those shoes are amazing.
>>
>>8722147
>>8722166
There's nothing wrong with nice Taobao. You don't have to have a closet full of Japanese brand for it to be a real or beautiful looking lolita wardrobe. It's just stupidity to think that. Some people don't care about having mostly the "almighty brando", and some people truly like the designs that some nice Taobao brands put out. Having mostly brand isn't a requirement for this fashion.
This photo is an outfit from a Taobao brand. They can make things just as nice as brand.
>>
>>8723434
But they're thinking it...
>>
>>8723539
We can tell that dress is from Taobao because of that godawful green ruffle. Most of the main pieces from Taobao brands have one or two things that are just really off about the design.
>>
>>8723594
Wow, you really hate Chinese people, don't you, Mr. Trump?
>>
>>8721552
I so agree with everything.
>>
All in reference to lolita:

>kuro, shiro, country, guro, and hime are themes, not substyles

>lolita should not be worn to anime conventions

>ouji is hideous on men

>witch coords are overdone and almost always tacky

>I love "those" socks

>bloomers are unnecessary unless you live in a ridiculously windy place

>I love it when people bring their children to meetups

>meta is the worst of the "main" brands

And the most unpopular of them all:
>mana is ugly and ita. I hate all his coords and the way he does his make up, especially lipstick.
>>
>>8723550
This. They may not even have the vocabulary to articulate it, but a lot of people glance at lolita and think "that must be kink-related".
>>
>>8725794
>>lolita should not be worn to anime conventions
I used to think that this was a terrible mindset but as I go to more conventions, quite a bit of lolitas don't even seem like they're having a good time because they're around "weebs" and people who think lolita is cosplay
>>
>>8723509
SAUCE PLS
>>
>>8723265
i feel you anon, love them too and my boobs are on the bigger side. actually not bad if you bind and wear them it looks better that way at least imo
>>
>>8725820
Btssb
>>
>>8725794
I agree with you on all of those except personally I think hime is it's own style, or at least the super OTT type, you can have hime theme as well.

Mana's coords were great (for the time that most of them were worn) if you're into Gothic, but I do agree that he's pretty ug and I never liked his makeup, I also hate all the people who try to replicate his look.
>>
I don't why people are criticized for having piercings and tattoos in jfashions like lolita and CPK. To me, it's not that big of a deal if it doesn't take away from the outfit.

Also,
>fuck brands who's model applications say no body mods
>>
>>8725862
>fuck brands who's model applications say no body mods
Maybe they can't model but they can still be shop girls. I remember one of the AP shop girls in marui one having her mouth filled with piercings
>>
>>8725838
I can accept this super OTT trend going on at the moment if we call it hime lolita instead of OTT classic
>>
>>8723550
>>8725806
Yeah but its not just because of sweet lolita being childlike, its because it has the name "Lolita" at all in it.
>>
>>8721444
But lolita actually has rules because of its very distinct look. Can you not afford a good petti? I'm sorry anon.
>>
>>8725872
Most normies don't even know what the style is called. They probably just see someone in ruffles and a bonnet and think something's not right. I mean not that that's gonna stop me, just sayin.
>>
>>8725812
Yeah, and in my experience, unless there are a decent amount of j-fashion panels or a meet-up, I find cosplaying to be much more fun. Half the time when I've worn lolita to a con I've been terrified of someone messing w/ my coord (spilling something, getting bodypaint, touching without asking, etc.)
>>
>Tea parties are disgusting and look like clown shoes, no matter which brand.
>if you only wear lolita to meetups, you're not a "real" lolita/it's a costume
>tattoos and piercings are ok as long as they're well done
>Meta = best brand
>>
>>8725820
The....the logo is right there, anon. Summer can't last this long.
>>
>>8725794
>>ouji is hideous on men
dress for your body type and you will look good, regardless of age or gender.
>>
>>8723509
these still look like shit. baby couldn't even manage to make the pearls around the gem even. plus if they break from being poorly made they'll just call you fat.
>>
>>8722147
As a gothic Lolita I'm finding that lately, taobao is kicking the ass of brand stores in the gothic department. I mean, we got another sweet disaster for a Halloween print again. I want genuine gothic, and places like magic potion are delivering on that.
>>
File: FEDB4B93-14.jpg (89KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
FEDB4B93-14.jpg
89KB, 1000x1000px
>>8723265
I like these style dresses in my "normie" wear, but I also have a collection of cheap $2 wide belts from ebay with different colored bows on them that I use to give them shape. Pic related.

I remember years ago that belts were a lolita no-no, is this still true?

If belts are still sin, then my unpopular opinion is that they're freakin' perfect for pulling together outfits that are a blouse & skirt.
>>
>>8725794
>ouji is hideous on men
It'd probably look good if the guys who wear it were actually attractive, so far it's an uggo magnet.
>>
>>8726356
Quite a few people still hate belts. I find it irrational considering sashes and waist ribbons are perfectly acceptable, and some brand even comes with fabric belts. Especially agree about the skirts.
>>
>>8725794
mana is hands down the biggest ita of all time. and people who are huge fans of his are super cringey. look we all had that vkei moment in the past, but that should have been left behind with everything else you were into in highschool.
>>
>>8726474
>the biggest ita of all time.
like a lot of early lolitas, he has taken a while to catch up to current trends. (see also Lauran.) his style defined late 90s-early 00s lolita and it was not ita by the standards of the time.

i think his modern EGA looks better than his modern EGL, but pic related isn't ita.
>>
>>8724121
Thank you anon.
>>8725862
As long they look cute and appropriate, i'm ok with piercings and tattoos. Of couse a tattoo with fuck off and other profanity, or too edgy tattoos would look really bad in lolita/cute or elegant jfash styles. Or get a kawaii tattoo if you wear sweet lolita, i would love have in my arm a black usakumya or a cute demon bear.
>>8726329
We need more men in ouji, seriously. I'm tired to see too much girls in this style.
>>
>the more obscure cosplay the more respectable I think the cosplayer is.

Maybe it's my inner hipster screaming out, or maybe I'm just too tired of seeing 100 [popular anime here] cosplayers at all my local cons. But if i see someone dressed as an obscure character (especially one I know) I will be 10x more likely to talk to and compliment them then Kirito Jager #53
>>
>>8726495
anyone who still insists on wearing ugly raschel lace gloves are itas. HANDS DOWN.
>>
>>8726518
Raschel anything needs to be burned.

I'm not sure if this counts as an unpopular opinion, but I think raschel looks fucking heinous no matter what. People keep talking about how brands use nicer raschel than the Milanoo-tier stuff, but it all looks nasty and cheap to me.
>>
>>8725794
>lolita should not be worn to anime cons
I can agree if you're saying it shouldn't be worn as a costume, but I wear lolita pretty much every time I go out. Telling someone who wears lolita on a regular basis not to wear it to an anime convention is like telling a normie not to wear jeans and a tshirt to the mall. It makes no sense.
>>
>>8725866
One of the AP shop girls at Laforet has a ton of facial piercings, and I think she's actually higher up than just a normal shop girl (I saw her at a convention in the US, too). I don't think AP minds piercings all that much.
>>
Holy Lantern OP is a hideous bag dress and the skirt is too short to be used in lolita
>>
>>8726561
amen!
>>
>>8726561

This.

I saw it in person too. Both the OP and skirt. Not impressed.
>>
Wearing cult party kei makeup and puffball hair clips with your fairy kei or lolita coord doesn't suddenly male it "larme". Old fairy kei has been taken over by " fairy key boy style xD" and tumblrites, same for decora. Larme keeps being so awfully misinterpreted.
>>
I still don't get what the fuck Larme is.
>>
>>8726704
same, anon. same.
>>
>>8726704
They're also the easiest jfash to troll.
>>
>>8726663
>" fairy key boy style xD"

This used to not bother me, but it's starting to get to the point where it's all I see.
>>
>>8726329
He looks okay but an attractive girl would honestly still look better. Such fancy ruffly outfits look weird when you don't wear makeup, and guys look weird in makeup so its a no win.
>>
>>8725862
>fuck brands who's model applications say no body mods

If it's not the look they want, then that's just what it is. Just like how there are jobs that have dress codes, and many jobs that don't allow you to show tattoos, or piercings other than ears because they feel it's unprofessional looking.
>>
>>8727248
You're a lesbian.
Not everyone is.
>>
>>8723594
So brand never makes questionable design choices. And how long have you been in the fashion?
>>
>>8725862
models are supposed to show off the clothes, not themselves
>>
>>8727248
He looks hot. I wish guys who actually wore ouji tried harder to look out together. Like... Please fix your hair. And wear makeup to cover your acne/redness.
>>
>>8726329
He's not unattractive but he seriously needs to do something else with his hair, ew. Also fix his shirt.
>>
>>8722461
I tend to act much more ladylike in lolita. Quiet, kind, always willing to listen, genuinely compliment people, never gossip about people (I merely stay quiet and listen when people vent), and surprise people by helping out (like cleanup). The girls think I'm a perfect waifu type. Little do they know I get home, vent to my boyfriend about what little things bothered me that day I'm too passive to say anything about, demand food, fart a ton, and fume when I see they got better deals on dresses I have/want.
>>
>>8727329
Models are suppose to sell the clothes they're wearing and show that anyone can wear them, i.e. an inclusive group of models
>>
>>8727248
>guys look weird in makeup
um, what?
>>
>>8727350
Ok Tyra.
>>
>>8727248
well, you definitely belong in an unpopular opinion thread (though most people outside of jfash would agree with you). not everyone can appreciate a pretty man.
>>
>>8726329
where 2 cop this sort of jacket thing though?
I'd love to buy things like his for my boyfriend, but he's 6'4" and has a similar/larger build than this guy. I highly doubt he'll ever fit into AatP mens size, but I don't know the first thing about ouji/EGA, I'm sorry.
But yeah he really would look less normalfag with different hair. It at least looks like he's wearing some makeup.
Sage for OT
>>
>>8727248
It's not a ruffly outfit though. It looks good precisely because it's not frilly,ruffly, elaborate and feminine.
>>
>>8727425
>the idea of a guy wearing makeup is weird
Fixd
>>
>>8727561
The jacket is Roland from Atelier Boz. Ask about EGA/ouji for big guys in the boystyle general thread; they're the experts.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
29KB, 480x360px
>>8727575
everyone looks better with makeup.

literally everyone.
>>
>>8727581
Well and different lighting...
>>
>>8722268
Fatty chans should have it easier finding bras at VS though. They don't carry below a 32 band size since most Americans are brainwashed into thinking they wear a 34B.
... And I'm skinny but I'm well within the healthy weight range so it's not like you have to be skeleton mode to wear a 30 or 28 band size.

/end totally off topic rant
>>
>>8723068
That's not true though. It's just a really common mistake for whatever dumb reason.
>>
>>8726518
It's not raschel. It's likely chemical lace which is very soft and dainty. Raschel is definitely not the best but can work sometimes as it doesn't all look the same but you're the noob who thinks Mana is ita, so...
>>
>>8727689
This. I'm from the UK however.
I went through my teenage years thinking I was a 32B - I always had problems with bras - straps falling down off my shoulders and general not fitting - went to a small underwear shop near where I live last summer - turns out that I'm a 30F. Now all my problems have been solved - even my back pain.
Now I just have extreme difficulty finding bras in that size.
>>
>>8722373
>I hate that mori-kei doesn't have strict rules like lolita has.
I hate it when westerners try to force a set of rules on a fashion that relies on a certain "atmosphere" rather than the outfit's structure. It kills the fashion.
>>
>>8726704
Same. The closest I've gotten to understanding it is a Japanese fashion of China's "soft sister" mixed with some tumblr nymphet shit.
>>
Mori girl is the fashion of slobs and failed lolitas. Also, lots of fatties within it.
>>
I think Kate was maybe a little annoying, but she didn't do anything to deserve the amount of hate she got. I think everyone was just desperate for another lolcow, so they made her out to be much worse than she actually was.
>>
>>8727248
Lol wat, the outfit isn't that frilly (also in historical times men would wear similar outfits), usually i don't like girls in ouji much unless the coord is really feminine and not masculine as pic related. You can't see many men into nicer clothing outside the usual suit, i would like more men also in a t-shirt and jeans start to take care of their hair, beard if they have one and skin.
>>8727538
So handsome really.
>>
>>8726525
I agree raschel lace in lolita looks bad a lot of the time. But raschel is actually an umbrella term for open warp knit fabrics and technically includes tulle and netted lace as well.

My own personal unpopular opinion is that we're all too obsessed with labeling styles and coming up with definitions and rules for them. If it looks good, it looks good. Street style should be about expressing yourself, not worrying whether or not you're conforming to a really specific niche aesthetic. That said, there are still a lot of itas and other j-fashion atrocities who excuse their terrible taste by saying they're just too creative and unique for rules. They just need to learn the rules of not looking like a hot mess and go from there.
>>
I hate casual lolita 95% of the time. I think it just looks like a lazy coord the way majority of people do it.
I also hate cutsews, so that might also have a reason.
>>
>>8727689
I'm a good 30lbs overweight and I'm a 30DD...
>>
>>8721870
>>8722282
i am a chubby bun lolita and i seriously don't understand the point in complaining about brands not making more sizes, why would they? they're japanese brands, japanese people don't have the proportions of chubby western girls. i just don't get why so many people can't/refuse to understand that.
>>
>>8727350
Models are supposed to look good in the clothes so the clothes will look good and people will want yo buy them. There's a reason why ugly people look bad in nice clothes (ex: that girl with the dickface and double chin has a good coords but will never look good)
>>
File: 000272pd.png (583KB, 600x450px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
000272pd.png
583KB, 600x450px
Honeycake is the ugliest print I have ever seen. In every colorway
>>
>>8729273
>I also hate cutsews
more for me then!
>>
> kawaii fashions are embarrassing teen trends a la emo

> kawaii culture In general is an awkward, awfully embarrassing weeb fest.

> I don't take people who mostly wear lolita to cons seriously

> I don't really think lolita is fashion despite being a daily wearer of the fashion. It's wearers generally treat it more like a costume now days and so I view the fashion as a whole more along the lines of a costume.

> lifestyle Lolitas have always been cringy try hards

> meet ups are a kinda fun thing to do once in a while but it's not something I care to do regularly.

> same thing goes for cons.

I actively try to distance myself from Japanese fashion and it's lovers despite being a lolita and checking cgl multiple times a day. If anyone asks I'm going for a bisque doll/neo-victorian look (depending on the coord)
>>
>>8729748
>bisque doll

this makes you sound like the try hardest try hard
>>
>>8729769 #
I'm actually a collector and so guess I can't help but use correct terminology. "porcelain dolls" are the shit China dolls that wear shit clothes (sure theres great artiist dolls but generally speaking...) and I'm not intrested in looking like barbie or any other modern doll so yeh
>>
>>8729797
stop trying so hard, nobody cares
>>
>>8729806
You're so obviously butt hurt lol
>>
>>8725794
I wear bloomers because all of my petticoats feel uncomfortable against my skin. I thought this was the main reason people wore bloomers...
>>
>>8728148
She 100% deserved it. She selfposted, shit on people for not agreeing with her, acted like a child about everything, wanted people to raise 10k for a doc about her, spent a 1k on a petstore cat in japan, made no contact with her SO for weeks while posting on social media. She's rotten to the core, anon.
>>
>>8729881
why does spending money on a cat make her "rotten to the core"? what a dumb thing to say
>>
>>8729881
And correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't she the same girl who was advertising meet and greets with her as if she was some famous idol?
>>
>>8726704
Its a magazine whwere they take current trends and do it in a larme (name of the magazine) way. People on here and on tumblr take it too seriously.
>>
emily temple cute and jane marple should not be used for lolita
>>
>>8729882
Because it was an impulse buy on holiday. You don't impulse buy an animal on holiday, especially not from a pet shop.

>>8729885
Yeah, and let's not forget the fabulous rewards for the kickstarter, only $300 to talk to Kate on skype!
>>
>>8729949
Like I don't enjoy bringing her up but I also don't like that people might forget that she actually did a lot of bad things and was by no means a victim. People forget too easily in this fashion and I wouldn't like to see people strung along by someone like her or her cronies again.
>>
>>8729949
what the fuck does that have to do with what

did it DIE or something? who gives a fuck?
>>
>>8728121
Fatties are always discouraged to wear the style in mori threads. Maybe not outright like bitchy lolitas, but more like a "This style doesn't look too good unless its draping/flowing on your body."

I think being fat makes them automatically look like a slob. I don't see the failed lolita part of it though, I think failed lolitas ended up in Larme or Otome.
>>
>>8729955
Yeah, actually there's a good risk of it dying on the plane flight. That's a big part of the issue.
>>
>>8729955
Holy shit anon you're getting really incensed about this. There was a huge uproar about how she just threw 1k into a really bad breeding business, the bad time the kitten would have on the way back to the US, and she was pretty much just treating it as a fashion accessory. That's pretty relevant
>>
These threads are always an echo chamber for the same opinions.

>OTT Sweet lolita is ugly!

>angelic pretty is ageplay!

>lolita is for weeaboos!

>lolita is/isn't a costume!
>>
>>8729968
The problem is that people outside cgl think it's a fashion you can do by thrifting. That automatically translates as fatty friendly and inclusive to Tumblr.
>>
>>8726704
It's like himekaji, but sad-looking and everyone has brown hair and wears fluffy things.
>>
>>8727248
I agree. Ouji is a very young boy style of clothing and men who wear it just look really out of place. Girls just pull it off better.

On a related topic, an opinion that seems to be really unpopular: I think women pull off anime male cosplays a lot better than men. Men only fit the manly characters with their square jaw and they're often lazy shits who can't bother with makeup or proper wigs or even shaving. I always cringe when I see male cosplayers thinking they're hot shit for cosplaying popular bishies when in reality they look like a slimy mess. Eugh.
>>
>>8727345
>Little do they know I get home, vent to my boyfriend about what little things bothered me that day I'm too passive to say anything about, demand food, fart a ton, and fume when I see they got better deals on dresses I have/want.

Damn anon I just laughed out loud because I do exactly this. I like you.
>>
>>8729769
She's just saying all that as an excuse to dress ita. Probably just has a closet full of ugly quilting fabric dresses
>>
>>8726509
I-I wholeheartedly agree with this.
Nothing wrong with cosplaying popular stuff, but I wanna bond over people who haven't abandoned the old stuff.
>>
>>8726509
>Kirito Jager #53
I giggled

However yeah, I agree with you. I respect people who do obscure cosplays a lot more than always clutch into the popular pick of the week. It's a fine indicator of that they're in the hobby for fun and not trying to lick up every ounce of fame whoring they can by currently popular characters. And they seem to have a bit more refined and original taste than HURR WHAT'S NEW THIS SEASON

Idk, don't people get bored of always having 50 other Kirito Jagers running around the con?
>>
I get unreasonably ruffled about people not wearing bloomers underneath their dress, even if they're wearing shorts or something instead. Gurl I don't want to see your ass when you inevitably fall over, or the wind blows your dress up.
>>
>>8729797
Sorry but it does sound painfully pretentious. Your whole post reeks of "I think I'm better" - not wanting to consider a fashion a fashion despite you yourself wearing it as such, just because of how the attention-seekers online treat it? Complaining about "teen trends"? Wanting to distance yourself from jfash? Making up names to call lolita fashion because you "collect dolls"? You sound horribly un-fun.
.
>>
I don't think wearing dark makeup to make yourself look like a darker character is inherently racist (it's hypothetically possible to male a racist cosplay like people do with Halloween costumes bUT I've never seen it) Classic blackface looks nothing like that and hasn't been relevant in decades.


HOWEVER I will still cringe at somebody doing it since 99% of the time it looks fucking stupid, and that's a lot of effort for something that makes you look terrible.
>>
>>8730183
>Ouji is a very young boy style
ageplayers gtfo
>>
>>8730898
Those whacky brands, making menswear that only fujoshi-tier crossdressers can pull off.
>>
>>8730898
Those clothes look really shota to me, anon. And the models are all women too.

>>8730917
>See, this petite, photoshopped asian guy can pull it off! So can the square-jawed American dink!
>>
>>8730898
>>8731130
ouji was originally supposed to be for girls though, it's the tomboy answer to lolita.
>>
>>8730898
Ouji is inspired by boy fashion just like lolita is inspired by girl fashion.

>>8730917
With those sharp somewhat masculine features he'd look better in aristocrat.
>>
>>8731141
women don't look like little girls. should they not wear lolita? are you one of the people who thinks fashion has an age limit, or just mens fashion?
>>
>>8731158
in my opinion, if you dress for your bodytype you're golden. other things depend on cultural norms, which people in street fashion generally flaunt. a man can get away with a Rococo-influenced coord a bit better than a Victorian schoolboy ageplay one, but even then, he's up against a lot of prescriptive norms about masculinity (as demonstrated in this thread).
>>
>>8731158
>>8731165
If you dress like that it's fine for a masculine guy. The guy above in the Roland jacket is clearly not dressed feminine or infantile and it works fine. It's just stuff like >>8730917 which looks silly on older, more masculine dude. It would also look silly on a mature woman.
>>
>>8731170
it's not supposed to not 'look silly' that's not the point. if you don't want to 'look silly' then wear normalfag stuff. everyone is always going to look silly to someone. just because you think x looks more silly than y doesn't mean it matters in the slightest to anyone else.
>>
>>8731130
to each their own. the outfits in the far left upper corner have no shota feel (neither do any of Root's coords on that spread in general), to me. additionally, the same arguments made about lolita not being little girls' dresses applies to ouji, as well as the arguments about cosplay being a worthwhile adult hobby.

and in street fashion, conventional standards don't have a lot of bearing anyway.
>>
>>8731172
this tbqh
>>
>>8731172
The problem is not looking silly but the contrast to your face. This isn't any different from saying sweet with the big pastel wigs, super poof levels, resin jewelry and clunky shoes will look stupid on someone who's like 40 with an elegant resting bitch face. Or saying a super masculine guy can't pull off being a brolita.

And this is a opinion thread. So telling people their opinion won't matter to people wearing ouji is beside the point.
>>
Lolita became a costume the moment wigs became a norm
>>
>>8731188
THIS
>>
>>8730183
>Girls just pull it off better.
I agree. There are very few guys that can get away with wearing ouji without looking like some kind of Mark Twain abomination. Short asians usually don't look too bad but once you're over a certain height and shoulder width it's better to just switch over to aristocrat.

>>8731172
>if you don't want to 'look silly' then wear normalfag stuff
People can pull off these types of clothing without looking silly because they can figure out what's appropriate to their body and face types, y'know? I feel like this conversation is running in a big circle.
>>
>>8731209
>Short asians usually don't look too bad
because asians look like cute widdle kids, right?
>>
>>8731187
opinions are one thing, but trying so hard to make other people agree with you is a completely different thing entirely. stop trying to make a case, say your piece and move on.
>>
>>8731225
stop projecting, you creep
>>
>>8731231
why else are they allowed to wear children's fashions? it's the kawaii prepubertal baby faces, right?
>>
>>8731236
being a pedophile isnt cute weirdo, please head back to your deep web cave
>>
>>8728148
>>8729881
>>8729949
>>8729971
>>8729972

desu if she really wanted that cat and not cause a shitstorm, she should have kept it a secret from the public until she got home. its better to pretend to be humble than to show everyone what you have on the get go because that's exactly why people hate on her. i think it's just people unconsciously envying the amount of things that she has caused all the hate in the first place.

she's rich, some people just can afford to do stuff like that. the pet trade has been sending young animals worldwide on planes since forever, but most people don't know much about the industry to understand that - her kitten is most likely safe.

if she was smart and was able to take the bullshit, she coulda pulled the kardashian thing and profited from the publicity
>>
>>8731245
that's what i've been saying. lolita and ouji aren't ageplay and restricting who can wear what based on what a kawaii genderless face they have is gross.
>>
>>8731188
So like, the early 2000s
>>
>>8731286
The wigs where never popular and widespread. Back in the day (2005 etc) we would actively stay away from wigs for fear of making it look like a costume. Wigs in general where considered ita.
>>
>>8731295
source?
>>
>>8731265
Here's another just socially retarded thing, too: If she's rich enough to impulse buy an animal and all of the cost to take it home, she should be funding her own bullshit documentary.

Who's so dense that they wouldn't see backlash like that coming from so many angles?
>>
>>8731300
I was obviously around back then there is no "source" on this. But Look through old egl and daily lolita posts back then everyone used their own hair.
>>
>>8725794
>mana is ugly and ita
sort of i guess. But he's SO pretentious like he refuses to speak in public and such shit.
How old is he now anyway?
>>
>>8731286
Although they existed, wigs didn't really become popular until 2009/10 maybe.
>>
>>8731330
I'd place them more around 2011 and later but yeah.
>>
File: img-thing.jpg (28KB, 300x300px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
img-thing.jpg
28KB, 300x300px
>>8731321
yeah basically. wigs like >>8731286 were worn mostly for hime cuts and those ringlets because people didn't want to get a hime cut or couldn't curl their hair like that. Those wigs were more.. literally porcelain doll like.

If you had decent looking natural hair I always remembered girls just styling their hair nicely instead of wearing wigs. I think when the sweet trend started booming is when wigs became a major thing. The OTT-ness of the prints and accessories called for big hair. AP's designers (mostly maki) wore huge wigs and I think that is just a point in time where lolita was at its most popular.

Wearing your normal, probably not so voluminous hair looked really strange with such elaborate dresses. And if you really wanted to go above and beyond you would wear colored wigs. Before that huge boom of OTT sweet I can't remember wigs being "a staple"
>>
>>8731334
where is that comic of the girl who first discovers lolita, and over a few panels becomes more and more unrecognizable to her boyfriend? i feel like it summed up the trend towards costumization well, but i haven't been able to find it.
>>
File: Lolitacomic.jpg (125KB, 749x809px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Lolitacomic.jpg
125KB, 749x809px
>>8731350
>>
>>8731177
OT but I love him so much
>>
>>8731327
Early 40's. His first band was formed in 1989.
>>
>>8726474
kill yourself
>>
File: images (1).jpg (29KB, 332x443px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
images (1).jpg
29KB, 332x443px
Never saw anyone mention this but Maki and Asuka are ugly AF.
>>
File: letmetellyou.jpg (383KB, 820x801px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
letmetellyou.jpg
383KB, 820x801px
Girls who cosplay are practically the epitome of "fake nerd girl seeking attention" and I 100% blame it all on JNig and Yaya.

Cosplay used to be about fun and showing your respect and support for the character and series you love. But now every teenage girl on the internet has a cosplay facebook page in hopes of getting famous. Don't get me wrong, it's cool that yaya and jnig managed to make a career out of a hobby they liked, but the influence they left is dreadful. Because why play the game or watch the show a character is from and be super into it when you can just go onto google and look at a picture of a random character and suddenly decide to cosplay them without knowing their name or what they're from, i mean both jnig and yaya do it all the time so it must be perfectly acceptable,right.
They have the audacity to say things like "fake nerds don't exist we aren't doing it for attention" then go onto their cosplay fb page and attempt to get more likes and avoid talking to people or get mad at people asking them about the character because they know fuck all about the thing they're dressed up as.

And to the people who sat "cosplay is a fashion" and "it shouldn't really matter" see pic
>>
>>8733469
I agree.
>>
>>8733532
lmao good one
>>
>>8733532
They haven't done anything to the hobby. I've seen this accusation over and over and it never makes sense to me: it's like when people were blaming Twilight for all the teenagers who read it and supposedly learned to appreciate abusive relationships: if you're stupid enough that reading a book makes you look for an abusive partner the problem lies within your upbringing.

Most people are sheep, some of these sheep are going to see JN showing her tits and getting a lot of money and will lazily imitate her and hope people compliment her (just not their tits, they're not there to be ogled at!).

All the people who want to cosplay because they like the characters will keep doing so, too. They're not going to be corrupted or anything. They might not like to deal with JN and the likes or their fans, but they have as much right to be there as anyone else.
And what is this idea of a "fake nerd" anyway? I see the kind of people who tend to get the accusation occasionally boasting about how they're told "they're the nerdiest girl" - how is liking something a lot turned into some kind of badge of honor?

I don't personally like the kind of attention-seeking cosplayer that is most likely in it for the attention either, mostly because the few I know personally have all been rather shitty people to be around and that seems to be a pattern that seems to be more and more obvious to me, but I don't see how they're ruining the hobby: JN isn't in it for the same reasons you are. She's a brand, she sells prints and goes to conventions to be paid. That's part of the equation, money.

Just ignore her and do your thing.
>>
>>8733465
I'm sorry did a strike a nerve with that one? I'll kill myself when you throw away all those tacky raschel lace gloves.
>>
>>8733887
If you actually think the general climate and attitude around cosplay hasn't changed in the past ten years you're either very young or at least a little retarded. Or in denial. I agree with anon, it's much harder to cosplay for fun these days than it was back in 2005. Now people get ripped apart for inaccuracies and small imperfections regardless of if the cosplay is for competition or not.
>>
>>8734238
And adding on, yes, it's also harder to talk to people about cosplay because you can't tell if they genuinely like the series or if they just want to cosplay something that makes them more popular. It's changed socialization at cons completely.
>>
Cosplayers who can't shut the fuck up about who they want to cosplay to the extent they have over 200+ cosplays planned and only do 10 of them. Every fucking time they see something it's "oh I want to cosplay that SO BAD!!!" and yet they never pull through.
What, you're gonna see a coffee commercial next and plan a group cosplay? When does it end!
>>
>>8721444
found the tumblrite who blames their unemployment is because of the patriarchy and isn't because they're too retarded to function
>>
>>8731386
I love it, it's too real.
>tfw lolita will never feel like first or second panel ever again to me
>>
>>8722131
I think a lot of the hate on OTT comes from people feeling that it's the new standard/necessary to have a good coord. I personally don't enjoy wearing OTT, but saying it's any more costume-y than "normal" lolita is just silly. All fashion is costume, if you don't like it, go naked.
>Maybe I do have a felt cake on my head, but at least I keep it real.
10/10
>>
I really can't stand heavy girls that make their cosplays bigger on purpose to try and appear smaller. They just end up looking like a frumpy mess and it drives me insane to see a decently made outfit look god awful because someone can't face their body size.
>>
>>8734231
Not even that anon but it sounds so desperate and baity when people say "did I strike a nerve?". Mana doesn't wear raschel lace gloves, lol. Newfag.
>>
File: Cosplayers.jpg (943KB, 1920x4603px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Cosplayers.jpg
943KB, 1920x4603px
>>8733532
>>
>>8734238
>>8734239
I don't think it hasn't changed, I just don't blame Jnig's kind of cosplayer for it. Cosplay has become more mainstream, more people are interested in it and therefore more people have a different view of what it should be from yours.
>>
>>8735306
I hate to tell you this but you're in an unpopular opinions thread bitching about people's unpopular opinions.
>>
File: the original ita.jpg (608KB, 721x841px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
the original ita.jpg
608KB, 721x841px
>>8734582
>Mana doesn't wear raschel lace gloves, lol. >Newfag.
>>
>>8722147
I would agree but I kind of feel like certain Taobao brands are the only ones pumping out any gothic pieces aside from Moitie, which is my main reason buying dresses from there. I have so much MmM already, it's nice to get some variability into my wardrobe.
>>
>>8726518
jesus christ you sound like such a whiny newfag
>>
>>8735623
Atelier Boz is still a gothic brand, and h. Naoto sometimes releases things suitable for EGL. since the major lolita trend is prints, gothic has fallen by the wayside a bit, but goths in Japan seem to be keeping these brands alive even when lolitas have moved on (judging by street snaps).
>>
>>8735627
>mana fans being this mad over ita gloves
>>
>>8735627
>jesus christ you sound like such a whiny newfag
posted the lolita, furiously typing at her own computer. Later she grabbed her decorative hatbox full of raschel lace gloves and brought them to her face and wept.
>No... That anon is wrong! I'll defend your honour Mana-sama!!
>>
>>8735623
>>8735628
Atelier Pierrot
>>
I wish anime cosplayers would just grow up and start cosplaying non-shit things.
>>
>>8735554
So you have time to make a shitty collage but not to read the thread? Someone already stated that he wears chemical lace or other high quality lace gloves, usually Moitie. You really are a lazy newfag, jesus.
>>
>>8735653
>>8735661
Stop samefagging newfag and see >>8736145
>>
I prefer to wear cutsews over blouses under JSK's because they are so soft and comfy.
>>
>>8736145
>implying they aren't ita
>>
I don't care about the drama, I buy limecrime. They have decent quality products in great colors.
>>
>>8736189
>implying you know what you're talking about and aren't a newfag
>>
>>8736184
I thought you meant wearing a blouse under a cutsew under a JSK for a moment and was very confused.
>>
>>8736208
>Decent quality
lol ok
>>
>>8736268
i thought the same and only realized the "over" meant "rather than" when your comment made me realize i might have read it wrong.
>>
I don't think Ryan Wells deserves guest status at cons.
>>
>>8736438
Agreed.
>>
>>8733532
For every person whoring themselves out on social media, there are 4 who cosplay legit for fun, and 2 who cosplay for passion.

You don't see them because nobody notices the people who don't stick out.

When you're driving and running late, you might hit 6 green lights, then hit 2 red lights in a row, and get upset how you're "hitting every red light"
>>
Cosplayers who confesses they really don't enjoy it are really stupid.
>>
I wish mori girl and natural kei had brands like lolita and was treated like lolita. I know there are brands for these two styles, but it's not the same. Maybe my view point is skewed, because I am a lolita, but mori girl was my first love. Mori girl is have an identity crisis. There aren't any shop coordinate , or famous/popular models for it. It is also being absorbed by wiccan andgoth elements. No one will call out or help people who coords could improve. I am not asking for btb level. I am just unhappy with how many horrific coords I see on the mori girl tag. No wonder it's dying.
>>
>>8722431
I LOVE pastel-vomit sweet. I'm so glad everyone's falling out of it because now I can get my dream dresses for cheap.
>>
>>8736908
Just because you and Tumblr are clueless about the style doesn't mean it's lacking in any of what you wrote. You've never heard of Aoi Miyazaki, Yu Aoi, etc.? Or MEG and Kate Sakai on the designer side?

The only problem is that since mori is dead to the Japanese public and has been for years, you mostly have to look at older materials for inspiration now. But people act like there were never mori icons or prominent brands in Japan when that's completely untrue, and there are still brands out there doing their thing like they've always been.
>>
>>8736943
I knew I would have to vindicate myself
Yes, I did say there were brands. I have loved mori since 2008. Yes, I know it's dead in Japan, but during the height of mori, it seemed that people in the west knew how to dress. Now it's dead. I would be fine if people didn't wear brand, but no one seems to know how to dress anymore. I guess I am just jealous what lolita has (a thriving community, more options to buy clothes, a strong resell market, inspirational lolitas, local communities) and mori girl has none of that.
>>
>>8736961
I know what you mean, I just feel like your original post was pretty shortsighted. There are shop staff coords all over SM2's site, for one, and I think Dear Li's model/designer could easily serve as a recognizable "mori representative" to that crowd since her photos are so popular on Tumblr. If you know how the fashion is supposed to be worn and want other people to care about that, make a blog highlighting brands and giving tips on how to coord well. There's a lack of information that enough people aren't filling, sadly.
>>
To consider yourself as a cosplayer of the character you intend to portray, you should watch/read/play the series that the character comes from. No reading wiki summaries, no skimming through playthrough videos. You should go through the series by yourself and have first hand experience on the series itself.

But then again, having such rules is already stringent to a lot of people out there, anyway. Apparently knowing your character's personality and the series that they come from is a huge effort already, I don't even want to understand such mentality.
>>
Fancy Paper Dolls special set is the ugliest brand dress I've ever seen. None of the colours compliment each other at all, the royal blue looks terrible with the pale pastels. The cut of the dress is bland at best. All in all it just looks like a hideous washed out mess.

No idea what the designers were high on when they designed it, but whatever it was I don't want it.
>>
>currently living in japan
>go to tokyo on occasion, but mostly stick to more southern and rural areas
>first weekend here, see a girl in bodyline-tier black and white dress, striped socks with pink crocs
>go shopping in harajuku, see how few people actually match exactly, more just general messes

seriously, you gulls care more about matching colors exactly than the girls in the shops over here. twinning is much bigger here than in the us and i see it at disney a lot more than anywhere else.

>inb4 no content: y'all have major sticks up your asses and nitpick way too much and because of that dress and match better than most japanese girls i see on the street/in stores
>>
File: himeoverview.jpg (157KB, 1389x746px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
himeoverview.jpg
157KB, 1389x746px
>>8726704
>>8730171

Larme isn't any where near as filly and embellished as most of himekaji, it's more streamlined and relaxed and dare I say chic looking, but still highly feminine. Cute details are important but they are more restrained - it's the idea of 'restraint' that people don't seem to get, which is why people also seem to get the glittery, fluffy Swankiss looks and larme confused as well. Larme is more modern ingénue with a touch of worldly wise sophistication than princess on her day off. It all sounds a bit pretentious but then it kinda is - the image of larme girls (as outline by the magazine itself) is that they are somewhat aloof, self-aware, well read and like to do shit like visit museums and do cultured things. The hair is much less fussy, it's generally a lighter more effortless look. It also doesn’t resemble 'typical' harajuku styles and isn't as 'out there', however still contains details that separate it from more conservative looks.

Whilst certain himekaji looks could be worn in a larme way, items such as in pic related for instance, would still likely be considered too embellished and frilly.
>>
File: Larme_SCAN0659.jpg (437KB, 1230x1600px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Larme_SCAN0659.jpg
437KB, 1230x1600px
>>8737140
>>
>>8721718
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heardand I hope it was a joke.

I laughed a bit when 15 posts into the casual lolita thread definitilns started to appear.
>>
While I think Lolita is very beautiful I have a very hard time seeing most lolita as anything but a costume.
>>
>>8736229
>manafags still mad in a thread about unpopular opinions and trying real hard
>>
>>8727869
This
>>
>>8737832
I hate all the vitriol about insisting lolita isn't a costume, and especially all the ranting about mixing cosplay and lolita. Yeah, I get that lolita isn't cosplay but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to mix the two if you want. At the end of the day it's clothes.
>>
>>8731327
>But he's SO pretentious like he refuses to speak in public and such shit.
Yeah, see, I'd totally be okay with that if it was due to anxiety or something, the lead singer of Kamattechan doesn't really do live interviews for that reason, but he just seems so pretentious about it, it's embarrassing.
>>
The word "mook" makes me want to vomit
>>
>>8737834
Lace gloves have been released by all of the major brands and many indie/minor ones and are not ita by default. Most are not. If you want to pick on gloves that actually are tacky and raschel lace, see Meta. But you're a newfag who doesn't even know that Moitie uses impeccable lace and Meta uses the worst. Not even the other anon which you will assume because you have a terrible attitude. It's not an unpopular opinion because you're completely wrong (about the lace being raschel, about gloves being ita). Sit the fuck down and shut the fuck up, you're embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>8738597
>writing paragraphs to try to prove that lace gloves arent ita as fuck
>>
>>8736897
This is true, and I wish those who actually did cosplay out of passion and love for the characters and the hobby would get more exposure. Now all the cosplayers starting out have such great role models like JNig and Yaya and they grow to believe that cosplay is all about whoring yourself as an idol and being the first!!!1 to do a popular character.

I don't actually care if you're a professional costume maker and your costumes look unbelievable and you have the world's best photographers shooting you and editing the flashiest pictures, if you're a dull whore who doesn't care about the characters I won't give two shits about you. I'm much more into those people who are talented but really love the characters they cosplay and pick more obscure choices despite not getting as much facebook likes as they could.
>>
>>8734334
Bonus points if they get mad about someone else doing one of their 200 dream cosplays before them despite them having like 3 years to get their asses to work.
>>
>>8723182
Agreed
>>
>>8726356
Second in unpopular belt opinion. I love belts in lolita.

Are glasses in lolita still widely despised? If so, there's another unpopular opinion because I love those, too.
>>
>>8727689
Former brainwashed into believing I was a 34B anon until I looked around at how to do measurements and found I'm actually a 28E and my tits look so much better now that I wear bras that fit. It has become my life's work to tell everyone whenever possible how sizing works and to go check themselves again. For some reason, if a man ever hears me say I'm an E cup, he feels the need to chime in and say I can't possibly be that because E cups are soooo huge, and I try to explain even if they're stubborn and I want to just start screeching until they go away. Sage for unrelated ranting.
>>
>>8733887
>>8733532
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that fake nerd girls do exist, they're annoying but they're not as harmful or prevalent as people seem to think. It is a legitimate thing, and especially to girls who are really into geekier stuff it's disheartening. But it's not that serious, a lot of neckbeards and people who get butthurt over things tend to blow it out of proportion when it's really not that bad. It's still annoying when people try to claim they don't exist.
>>
>>8736208
Have fun getting poisoned by your shitty velveteens!
>>
>>8726509
I am like this too and so is my best friend. We have lots of fun cosplaying obscure or forgotten things, but I find it harder to make new friends when no one recognizes what I'm dressed up as.

I really wish more people were interested in non-mainstream stuff. It sucks being mistaken for something else and then randos being disappointed "Oh you're not so and so? bye" kind of feels. Not going to stop doing what I love though, just gotta get luckier and bump into people who like what I do.
>>
>>8736268
>>8736376
... Yeah, it can be read that way. That would be really fucking funny.

Yeah, sorry, meant rather wear cutsews than blouses under JSKs.
>>
>>8739732
You're a delusional moron, bye
>>
>>8739732
It was hardly even one paragraph. It must suck to not be able to read past a sentence. You've already been told how wrong you are at least once so stop embarrassing yourself (your lack of knowledge and misinformedness is what is ita, I bet you think bxw is ita) so please go do some research and come back after you've done a lot of reading. You have a terrible attitude to boot as well as being the stereotypical delusional newfag who thinks they know what they are talking about. Knowledge is power.
>>
>>8721437
wait what is this mental illness kei?
>>
>>8721668
so are you fat or just stupid?
>>
>>8721569
Gyaru is declining in Japan too. Pretty sure the Egg magazine isn't published anymore. There are a lot less gyaru in general.
To be fair, so is lolita.
>>
>>8731334
No remember they are super speshul bisque dolls! (or some shit like that)
>>
Mine is more of a convention unpopular opinion.

I think that if you can't or are unwilling to sleep on the floor, you shouldn't volunteer to be in a room where someone will have to sleep on the floor. Even if you have a legitimate back problem, it's unfair to everyone else to expect to be accommodated like that.
The only exception is if you're willing to pay more than the people sleeping on the floor.
>>
File: ew4.gif (767KB, 500x282px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ew4.gif
767KB, 500x282px
>mfw yellow colorway anything
Pastel yellow is fucking hideous and doesn't look good no matter who it's on or what it's coorded with. I have never seen a single yellow piece that I liked or looked good on anyone. Accents maybe but a jsk, blouse or skirt...no.
>>
File: 65423.jpg (669KB, 820x826px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
65423.jpg
669KB, 820x826px
>Wearing an outfit with minimal petticoat/poof can still very much be lolita

>It's not necessarily the silhouette that's the most important factor for capturing lolita fashion, but the overall composition
>>
>>8740112
aww bb dont cry. just burn your hideous lace gloves
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 34


[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.