[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College in your late 20's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 628thA.jpg (13KB, 295x164px) Image search: [Google]
628thA.jpg
13KB, 295x164px
/biz/ is it too late to go back to college? I am 28, quit my oil job back in May and thinking of moving and going back to school. Spent the summer getting my house ready to sell and deposited the sale Friday.

I am tired of being a worthless faggot, the only "skill" I have is knowing 1000+ kanji. My assets right now are 40K in retirement funds, 45K in stocks and 35K cash, if that matters. What do?
>>
College is ONLY worth it for a killer degree, you know the world wants, you know you can get bank, and its a career you cant get into without the degree
>>
>>996860
look at different career options, do the math
>>
>>996860
I've had a pretty good lifestyle after learning a skilled trade. I'll be able to start my own business in 2017 after spending 8 years learning and working. It's awesome not having a student loan to pay back. Skilled trades are worth more than a lot of college degrees at the moment. Not enough younger people coming in to replace retiring workers which create shortages.

The real satisfaction comes when you own a business and don't have to get your hands dirty any longer.
>>
>>996885
HVAC? How did you gain the business knowledge leading up to starting your own company?
>>
File: 1447877617381.png (66KB, 205x205px) Image search: [Google]
1447877617381.png
66KB, 205x205px
>>996896
>How did you gain the business knowledge leading

one thing is for sure. you wont gain the knowledge of starting a business in school. you learn while you do.
>>
>>996885
lol. unions are dying.

here is a good piece of advice. from someone who worked in a trade.

If you lack ambition and are not college material, learn a trade, also intelligence is not an asset in trades.

That being said. if you do have ambition lean a trade and become a contractor you can earn pretty big bucks. college is not the only path to millions.

>>996860
why not just go into real estate or start a business. It is not too late to go to college, but you already have capital saved up, you can use that to start a business. if all you want is money that is what you should do.

I'm going to college so I can be a desk jockey save up my money and then one day I can own a business and boss around other desk jockeys. Also, I actually have a passion for learning.
>>
I'm 25 and have been working for the family business ever since I was 16. I want to go to college and make my own career. I got $200K in savings. Should I spend it on an Accounting/Finance degree? Will likely either go to University of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth, or George Mason.
>>
>>996976
with 200k in savings I would start my own business, you are way ahead of people in your age group. Why do you want to go to college?
>>
>>996980

Redneck family. Only one person in my family has ever gone. Kind of like winning a gold metal around here (Southwest VA).
>>
>>996976
Accountant here.

It's not all it's made it out to be. Big four will figuratively kill you and the easier private/governmental accounting jobs pay shit.

Honestly, if what you're doing right now got you $200k in savings at 25 years old, you should probably keep doing that.
>>
>>996896
No, residential service repair plumbing actually. I had the option to either go union or learn on the job through a plumbing company. I didn't want to go union because of politics, so I found a small plumbing company and learned on the job. Both routes require the same test in Austin, Texas.

I decided on plumbing because about 8 years ago, there was a lot of DIY channel shows that had me interested. I realized knowing how to service and repair water, gas, and sewer lines would be a good skillset and wouldn't be affected by recessions as much.

There are a lot of people who get hired and don't want to learn or work hard. However, this is one of the easiest fields to develop a good reputation and go into business for yourself though. I've given my all since starting at a new commission based job in February, and as of this upcoming paycheck on Friday, I'll have hit over six figures for the year. I highly doubt a unionized company would ever be able to pay that to a service repair plumber. I don't want to crap all over unions, they have had a huge impact on our trade for the better. But, there is a lot of political games in a daily job from my understanding and I didn't want to be involved with that. Unions have pretty much the best training out there as far as learning how to perform a trade goes. But with service work, it's not something you typically learn from a textbook.

The biggest drawback is that if you do this your entire life, you will be very sore. Working in our conditions during Texas summers absolutely suck. That's why I want to start my own company in 2017 and have more of a managerial roll instead of a field technician roll.

Texas requires several days worth of licensed classes for our trade that you must now take in order to understand how to run a business because so many people who started their own company failed because they didn't understand the financial aspect of things.
>>
>>996860
The average age of a college student is 27
>>
so i shouldnt feel bad about being some 24yo loser vet when i start next semester?
>>
>>997175
You are a vet.
You've done what I never had the courage to do even if you were some pog or in it for the bennies.
You'll be fine
>>
When I did my masters I had 50 year olds in my class desu.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.