[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

working 80+ a week

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

File: Mr Sleepyjob.jpg (42KB, 632x359px) Image search: [Google]
Mr Sleepyjob.jpg
42KB, 632x359px
anybody done it, I'm interested in doing it soon.
Tips stories on how welcome
>>
You'll burn out in less than 5 years.

Hopefully you get paid a fortune and it puts you into management, you'll need it to justify the shit that this workload will take out of you.
>>
>>992627
Confirmed 80 hour per week voluntary here. I'm a service repair plumber around Houston, Texas area. I'm youngest plumber at my company. Most other guys have been doing this about 20 or more years and are burned out, don't want to take emergency on call shifts for broken water pipes or sewage backups in middle of night.

I volunteer to work most of these shifts. I started with this company in late February, and have taken at least 90 on call shifts since then. It works out for me since my fiance is an emergency room nurse who works from 7pm to 7am while my regular work day is the exact opposite. I take the days on call that she works and we see each other a few days throughout the week.

The best advice I can give you is make sure you enjoy what you do, enjoy the company and people you work with, take breaks when you need it, don't feel obligated to take other people's shifts at a moment's notice (tons of people have asked me to do this since I've been working a lot on call), and have a smart game plan for your money.

As of the next paycheck I'll get next week, I'll have reached over six figures (before tax) for this year. My current plan is taking the money I'm saving and use it to start up my own company January 2017. I have no student loans, no credit cards, no debt, and my biggest yearly expense is an agreed $7500 towards property taxes for my fiance's home.

The other poster was right, if you continue working 80 hours a week consistently, you'll burn out much sooner than 5 years. I had burnout after 6 months, but I'm different than most of the other people on this board because I work a very physical job during the heat of summer in attics and outdoors. That takes a lot out of you.

If you have any other questions, just ask.
>>
>>992650
thanks for sharing I really appreciate it. So what kept you gong during the 6 month period, I'll be working a not so physical job and since I haven't started yet I'm assuming the money will be enough to keep me going
>>
>>992627
No I actually value my health over a little bit of money.

Working over ~50 hours a week turns you into a zombie, well at least me personally. At that point I can't do things consciously, I just rely on muscle memory and stimulants to keep me wake. Not worth it.
>>
>>992627
I worked 72 hours 6 days per week job for 6 years. Can't compare it to 80 though.
>>
>DUI charge cause young and stupid
>10k fee lawyer fee + etc
>Worked 90-95 hours per week for 3 month, labour intensive jobs too
>Near the end body was at the limit, fingers and toes gets numb due to lack of blood circulation cause i dont get even rest

Don't do it anno, you are risking your health which worth more than money
>>
>>992650
Why do so many homes in Houston have waterlines in the fucking ceilings and exposed pipes coming up out of th ground and into the side of a house?

Nice tittie bars in Houston, tho.
>>
>>992651
"Live like no else today, so you can live like no else tomorrow."- Dave Ramsey

I've never worked at a company which has given me the opportunity to earn this much wealth before. What kept me going is I wanted to have my wedding in Hawaii next year completely paid, the ring completely paid, and I have to start my company debt free. I want a better life in the future working as a manager in my company instead of as a plumber in the field. I will no have this opportunity to work so many hours in the future if I have children.

Starting a plumbing repair business is expensive if you want to do with the next chance of success. I plan to have about $40 invested in a reliable used box truck, sewer cable machine, sink cable machine, powered handtop cable machine, small advertising allowance, vehicle vinyl wrap to gain attention, hand tools, power tools, vehicle shelving,etc.

I also plan to have a year's worth of bring home pay in an account so I don't have to worry if my first year starts off slow.

Going back to what I mentioned earlier, it's imperative to enjoy what you do. During the summer,I hate my working conditions, but now it's so much better during our cold season here. The people I work with are some of the brightest, friendly people I have ever met. My boss is an outstanding business owner who rewards his employees well. Life is great. I worked for another company for close to eight years and I had to leave because I was miserable with the way it was being run and how we were treated. It literally got to the point where they took off $150 from your monthly bonus check if you missed a day of work WITH a doctor's note.

The way a business is run and how you are treated makes a huge difference in how you feel like going the extra distance in your job.
>>
>>992686
A lot of homes built back then had either copper or galvanized threaded pipe. Galvanized pipe can't be run in the slab of the foundation. A lot of water heaters are installed in the attic for whatever builder designs.

We just don't have basements out here due to the ground quality and all the humidity and wet conditions. The easiest water heater replacement condition we have out here is if it's located in the garage. I don't understand why all builders wouldn't put them in here against throwing them in the attic.
>>
File: fish lounge.jpg (107KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
fish lounge.jpg
107KB, 300x400px
>>992706
>A lot of water heaters are installed in the attic for whatever builder designs

I don´t know anything about the history of Houston but that´s something very common in northern Europe and especially Germany. It´s always in the basement

picture unrelated.
>>
>>992701
>My boss is an outstanding business owner who rewards his employees well.
How do I get one of those?
Mine have all been ruthless, cut-throat cunts.
>at least they inspired me to work for myself
>>
I worked my office job 40hrs and then 5 nights/wk at the restaurant. Worked out to ~65/wk sometimes more sometimes less depending on how busy we were at the resto. Even that was crazy but I made tons of money. I slowed down thiugh and only work three nights a week but if I kept going I would have burned out. Do the most you can personally do I guess, everyone is different. But 40hrs/one job is just not enough for me
>>
>>992650
$7500 "towards" property taxes wtf
>>
>>992744
The dude probably lives near a coastal US city. 1 mil for a 3 bedroom on a .25 acre lot, 1.5% tax rate = 15k/year in taxes.
>>
>>992744
Houston has some pretty high property tax rates. It's one of the drawbacks to being in a state without a State Income Tax. They get their money in other places, like property taxes. I consider it fair since my fiance pays for her mortgage and utilities. This way, it still allows her to save for other stuff.
>>
>>992627
Arguable i'd do this easily if i was good enough to get art commissions or an actual novelist

Working 80 hours vs doing 80 hours of things you enjoy and earn money from are two very different beasts
>>
I've done clone to 80 hours a week on average for a couple of months.

Some weeks 100+ hours, other weeks no work at all.

Call center support work but with chance of some shifts where nothing happens, and the option to sleep on a couch between calls.

In my 80+ hour weeks I spent 3-4 nights at work. Could almost always sleep for at least 5 hours total (constantly broken up by calls though)

It was a pretty sweet deal with all that overtime.
>>
>>992719
You don't work like that for someone you hate.
I like my boss back when i did my 72 hours per week job, it's boring as hell though.
>>
>>992627
I have my own small biz and I am at my business place for around 50hrs a week on average but sometimes more. Then I go home and I usually have more work to do. So sometimes ill be up to 80hrs in a week. I do not recommend it, especially if you are going to be working for someone else. You will get burnt out quick. Also im in my early 20s so a lot of fun social shit with my friends I miss out on. No time for fun or love so what is the point of even living. Also as many anons said it will take a toll on your health which is worth more than money. I only do it because I hope to get rich enough to where I never have to work again by the time im 30. Would be a real tragedy if I died before then.
>>
>>993009
planning on doing the same thing.
how much do you guestimate you need?
>>
>>993009
ha yeah man you read my mind, What your game plan
>>
>>993016
Need for what?
>>993036
Gameplan?
>>
>>993055
yeah how do you plan of retiring by 30. Will it be just from your business?
>>
>>993067
The plan is to hire on some competent people to run my biz so I don't have to do shit anymore. Good help is hard to come by though. Hopefully that is all it takes for me to be able to live comfortably and give me time to dedicate to my hobbies and interests. I don't want to put all my eggs into one basket though so I'd diversify a little and invest in young entrepreneurs when I have a good amount of money saved up. Maybe retire was a strong word to use but I'd like to significantly cut down the hours I work.
>>
Did it for almost 2 years working on average in the high 70s but oftentimes 80-90 hours making an average of around $11/hour lol. The key thing is to manage your offtime very efficiently like by the time your getting off work in the parking lot you should have your whole night planned out what your going to eat, what laundry your going to do ect. Always go shopping or go anywhere you need to on the way to/from work never go home first it takes up alot of extra time.
Another thing to keep in mind is that I was working these hours split between 2 jobs which helps you not get bored doing the same thing all day everyday, but it also adds an additional commute time.
Also if your doing anything labor intensive be sure to eat before and after work youll get tired out and cranky skipping meals for 12+ hours at a time
>>
>>992627

You are way way way way way way way way way better off just starting your own company than putting in over 50 hrs a week working for another human being.

What a waste.

Man was not meant to suffer.
>>
>>993240
gotta make that coin first man. Ill be pulling 23.50 an hour, plan is to use that cash to start a business
>>
>>993245
Deluded.

How much money do you think you need?
>>
Did a oil refinery servicing job that had fucked up hours like

> 20 on 10 off 24/7 until the job is done

Shit got real weird
>>
>>992684
90-95 hours per week for 3 months wtf were you working for a dollar an hour
>>
I did for like a month once. Wasn't that hard really except I neglected everything else in my life. I wouldn't say it was sustainable for much longer though. If you're a really high energy person unlike myself I can see it being doable though.
>>
>>993371
a lot, I never said i was gonna start the business overnight or even this year. Its a goal I'm working towards and the more hours I get down the quicker i can reach it
>>
Anyone sleep 4 hours a day? I read up on it, apparently it's pretty much down to genetics whether you can live on those kinds of hours long term and remain productive
>>
>>993245

Well it depends on the business, but there are many businesses that can be started with just a few grand. Especially home service.
>>
>>992650
Not op. Thanks for sharing your story anon. I am even more motivated now to work my ass off at this potential new career. You are doing good!
>>
Uni student here:

I was 18 y/o at the time. Worked in an office kind of far away, 1.5 hrs commute each way for a total of 3 hours out of my day simply travelling on company bus (I also got a travel allowance but the bus is free).

Had an internship that paid me hourly and overtime pay started at anything above 40 a week. I was working 12 hours a day every other day. This would naturally give me a few hours of overtime.

Coworker got hospitalized (non work related, dont worry) for the rest of the summer which gave me the opportunity to come in and cover her hours. Now I was working 12 hours a day, every day. Keep in mind, labor laws in my area mandate for every 24 days straight of work, I get 4 days off.

My day consisted of:
>waking up around 5, spend an hour packing lunch and showering
>catching the bus at 6
>getting to work at 7:30
>breakfast at the office until 8
>work until around 12
>have an hour lunch
>work until 4:30, say goodbye to my seniors and have dinner
>Finally finish up work at 7 and write progress reports .
>Get on the bus at 7:30
>home by 9 pm.

Leaving me with 8 hours to sleep, assuming I'd just plop into bed and pass the fuck out (which didn't usually happen). Generally, I'd go out for drinks with coworkers, see family and friends briefly, and play video games with my friends from college. I'd say I averaged 3 to 4 hours of sleep at home, and 3 hours of sleep on the bus (not comfortable, but helpful).

My heart and chest hurt. Mind was pretty foggy until I had my caffeine. I made a FUCK TON of money, my annualized salary would have been 118,976 ($26/hr first 40 hours, $39/hr for the next 32) not including my travel allowance added onto each paycheck.

Overall, I'd probably do it again just to get a nice down payment on a house. Definitely can't last you forever though. Most of my friends in the industry have already burnt out after working for 4 years. One of them is dealing with depression, another is very overweight.
>>
It will fuck your health in some degree and you will waste more money fixing it
>>
>>994060
In what regard?
>>
>>992650
>>992650
So you killed yourself so your wife had time to c.uck you while you paid her mortgage? Nice. Wanna marry me too?
>>
I worked a 76hr week on $34/hr for a 5 months. Also ran a small online business in what little free time I had left (easy 14 hours a week).

Money was great but friendships have deteriorated due to work commitments. Used to be into lifting weights before that. Simply no energy or time for it, lost a tonne of muscle and put on fat. Ate mostly shitty food because I cbf cooking, too wrecked at end of day.
>>
>>995566
That is really good money. What did you work as?

Also, nice triple dubs.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.