[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Biochem major and finance minor Graduated in August No jobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (126KB, 640x416px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126KB, 640x416px
Biochem major and finance minor
Graduated in August
No jobs
Still applying
No word at all yet
Shitty alumni network
Trying to reach out via cold emails to people from different universities much older than me
No responses yet
Temp agency has the shittiest jobs and provides no value
Currently working dead end retail job for money part time

What can I do to turn my life around? I literally have no one to talk to.
>>
>>992368
Please anyone
>>
>>992368
lie on resume (.2-.3 GPA up), also mold each resume to job you apply for, and lie about volunteer work and job experience if possible but be prepared to explain what you "did"

Know your limits but abuse the system, good luck OP.
>>
>>992377
3.6 GPA
I already have volunteer experience for Doctors Without Borders and I already have 3 years of job experience while I was in university. My resume isn't the issue, I crafted it to perfection and tailored it for each job

It's my lack of who I know that's the problem. And I'm now 100% sure of it. No one responds to my requests to connect for a quick coffee/phone chat about themselves. I don't know what else to do and I'm crying hysterically every day from fear of being dead or a bum.

My threads on /adv/ never got relies either. I have no one
>>
>>992386
>I don't know what else to do and I'm crying hysterically every day from fear of being dead or a bum.

First of all, get some self worth because no job is going to fill that fucking hole.

What kind of jobs are you looking for? Why are you emailing people at universities, are you trying to get a lab job?
>>
>>992388
>First of all, get some self worth because no job is going to fill that fucking hole
I've been left with no response for so many jobs, and the remaining few telling me that they already found someone and "will keep my resume on file" bullshit

>What kind of jobs are you looking for?
Not lab jobs. Anything involved as an entry level analyst at a HF, IB, Start up, tech company, media/tv company, pharma company, etc. I'm capable of analytics and quantitative results that I can translate to plain and great English. It's not like I'm a sperg

>Why are you emailing people at universities
I'm emailing professionals that already graduated from places like Cornell and NYU. People that are older than me essentially and are in places I'd like to work at. I email (or connect on LinkedIn) saying how I saw their profile and that I'd like to speak with them and hear more about them; either over the phone (provide my number) or over coffee. Obviously paraphrased. Haven't gotten any responses at all. It's not a good feeling at all.
>>
>>992394

not sure what you mean by "entry level analyst" since that's not really my field, sounds pretty vague. i know people always like to talk about how emailing people out of the blue for a "human connection" works but in my experience if you're not especially charismatic then it just comes off as either weird or like you're looking for a handout instead of going through the proper channels, i'd stick to normal job sites/applications

if your resume is strong, maybe the market for what you're looking for is just shit and you should look for another field or maybe the market is just shit where you are and you need to look elsewhere. you also mentioned the people you were contacting were from NYU and Cornell which are pretty respected schools so make sure your standards are realistic for an entry level person
>>
>depending on an employer for a living wage
>not providing value and profiting from it
>expecting something to change because you send a few emails
Put your biochem shit to work, find what could be better in the biochem industry and make it happen. its seriously that easy.

seriously /biz/ its time to stop trying to rely on an employer to hand you your allowance every two weeks after giving them 40+ hours of your week to them. fuck that.
>>
Muh STEM majors.
>>
>>992368

Start your own business. Seriously. Even if you go bankrupt 2 times the one success you have will make you more money than you would ever get as an employee for a comparable company.

Just think. There are people who make a living installing wiring for tv's, internet, cable etc. for old people. I've seen em.
>>
>>992430
bio is probably one of the worst fields right now.
>>
Hey man, just read some more of your thread. The human connection thing is not gunna work through email. You need to call them if that's what you're going to do. How you go about it, well, that's a difficult thing, but maybe something like the following:

>Hi there, Professor Austerhousen, I'm a recent bio grad and read one of your papers [on whatever]. It really interested me, and I'd just like to ask you a few [actually interesting, non-sperg questions] about your [methodology, flaws you may have found] so that I can benefit myself in future research.

Worm your way into circles, and THEN ask for a job. You want to be smart enough to, firstly, make it seem as though you are not fishing for a job by asking the questions in the first place and, secondly, suck them off while wearing frilly lingerie and fucking yourself with your rolled up degree.

It's the only way. Anal too, but don't you dare make them use condoms.
>>
>>992560

Tons of STEM fields are shit right now by the sounds of it. I only know one STEM girl who got a job straight out of college, and that's because she took a research assistant position over the summer.

There are only so many positions to fill, and the STEM meme has filled them to the brim by now.
>>
>>992566
I think this is true for a lot of things. STEM certainly but also other fields. Basically it used to be STEM = guaranteed job, and that drives people to go into STEM fields and balances the whole thing.

I'm a chemist myself, almost finished with my studies. We'll see how it goes.
>>
>>992388
self-worth only exists for what we can do for other people. That's how society works. So yeah, OP can feel like shit as much as he wants. It won't help and may actually make things worse, but it's perfectly logical to feel like garbage when you can't provide for others.
>>
>>992394
>Not lab jobs.
Is that not better than retail? I know the pay isn't much better but more money couldn't hurt until you find a more appropriate job.
>>
>>992702
Lab jobs are not only farther than the place I currently work at; but also pays less. They treat stem majors like rats; abundant in numbers and with disdain.
>>
>>992566
I couldn't agree more with you. I have studied petrochemical engineer and it's quite hard to find a job in a latin country because I don't have enough experience.
>>
>>992388
This guy gets it. You need to find other source of self worth thats more real than a jerb.

>>992394
If you actually know all those things that you're talking about, why not do a little work for yourself before petroleum recovers. With your analytical background it wont be too hard to say - find out where you can buy stuff for cheap to sell it at a profit @ Ebay/Amazon/Etc...
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.