[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Those of you who work significantly less than 40hours/week yet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: 1446902318431.jpg (192KB, 706x720px) Image search: [Google]
1446902318431.jpg
192KB, 706x720px
Those of you who work significantly less than 40hours/week yet still make a "full time income", what do you do?

Bonus points for setting your own schedule or working from home.
>>
Gubmint job.
Answer phone and emails.
Sometimes there's nothing to do and I go home during lunch and no one notices I'm gone.
>>
>>991694

Lol. Am jelly. Did you need a bachelor's for the jerb? What is your job title?
>>
>>991690
How do i get out of retail.
Honestly the job is driving me nuts - i need more money but didn't have the family connections to get an ez city job

How do i escape the void?
>inb4 helium
>>
>>991690
This isn't really "full time income", for most people... but here's what I did.
I made 25k/year, for two years in a row, sitting in front of a few monitors for 4 hours at a time 3-4 times a week. I also took about three months off during those two years. At one point was making $1k every Wednesday afternoon for a short streak of weeks.

I was trading sub-penny stocks. I would not recommend, but it's apparently possible to make money doing it. I grossed a total of 90k. Netted 47k. All with gross account contributions totaling 5k.
>>
>>991775

How'd you get into that?
>>
>>991805
As an 18 year old I put $500 into a scottrade account and started trading Ford and Pandora for fun. I learned the interface and was idiotically picking entries and loosing money on commission. Then after a few months of that I put $2500 more, from the money I literally made at mcdonalds, in the account and started looking at penny stocks for some reason, I don't remember exactly why. (I added the other $2k to the account much later.)
>>
I day trade the S&P e-mini.

Have my own system which I developed and back-tested.

I make right now around 1,000-2,000$ a week out of an initial investment of 9,500$.
>>
>Personal Banker/Financial Advisor
>Work Noon-5PM Mon-Fri and 9AM-5PM Saturday
>$60K salary

Cozy job at a credit union. Got my own office, and the people in my town are generally competent. But there's the occasional retard that refuses any traditional investments because tinfoil hat and asks retarded questions.
>>
>>991830

If this is true, then you should lease your system.
>>
>>991830
How may trades/week?
>>
>>991818

I've been thinking about doing something similar. I've been reading up a lot on day trading penny stocks for a few weeks, and from what I'm seeing it looks like you start out with, say, $500 and incrementally trade these penny stocks around until you bump that $500 up to like $550. Repeat ad nasium until you have a profit that offsets the brokerage fees, then start over the next day?
>>
>>991763
1) Learn a trade
I know being a welder or some shit isn't the most appealing job in the world, but boy does it pay.

2) If you don't have any experience for your ideal job, try volunteering. Depends on how much time and money you have for this, but it'll show your potential employer that you have passion for the job, and that you're willing to learn. Mileage may vary depending on the job.

3) Accept your meaningless existence and pray to god that you get promoted enough that you can land a cozy job.
>>
>>991690

Own and operate a small business. The business does home projects for customers.

I work about 30hrs a week.
>>
File: tumblr_nrtdwc388Y1u8rtwro6_540.jpg (55KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nrtdwc388Y1u8rtwro6_540.jpg
55KB, 540x405px
>>991993

Interesting, do you do any of the home projects yourself? How did you get started and how do you generally find new customers/market yourself?
>>
>>991763
Start washing dishes at a nice restaurant, get the chef to trust you enough to do some prep, move up to prep cook, move up to line cook, eventually become a chef, go work for a major hotel or corporate entity and you might even make 6 figures. You'll work long physical days and nights for years, get treated like shit and have to kiss a lot of ass, but it beats working 37.5 hours a week in retail the rest of your life.
>>
>>992391
My dad did this, burnt himself out hard.
His greatest piece of advice for me was to be careful turning something you love into a career.
>>
>>991907

Welding can be good, but not everywhere. My dad is a welder, and we were looking at payscales for welding today. Where we live now he earns a fortune running his own business, but if he were to work in the UK he would get wages he got when he worked as a welder in the 70s/80s. Depends where you live.
>>
>>992567

My dad was a welder too and said it was horrible. He worked at a shitty place in Indianapolis during the late 70's-early 80's though. He said the fumes were really bad and his eyes were damaged after seeing welding sparks so often (I'm guessing they did have good safety standards).
>>
>>992541
It's why i'm learning to draw properly.
Even if it's making 500 dollars a week i'd be so happy
>>
>>991690
I own my own baking business. We mainly sell B2B to groceries and restaurants. I work from 4AM-8AM wed - sun so average about 20 hours if nothing goes wrong that week (Although stuff is always bound to go wrong).

I've owned this place for 8 years now, I used to work crazy hours like 60-70 hours a week especially during holidays, but now its at a really nice manageable pace and a lot of my business can be handled from sending emails and meeting with people.
>>
>>992094

I do most myself. I started with another company for 6 months then started my own.

flyers
word of mouth
social media
referrals
>>
>>991690
D2D sales. I work ~20 hours a week, make ~$10k/mo, set my own schedule.
>>
>>993238
Selling what?
Timeshares?
>>
>>993254
PPA Solar to homeowners. There are guys clearing a million a year so I have more work to do.
>>
>>993261
is the market too saturated to get in this type of work?
>>
>>992391
>start washing dishes
>learn some prep
>go on the line
>work hard and always show up and you will move up fast
>make it to sous chef
>work 60 hour weeks for peanuts
>deal with fickle industry, terrible beneifts, and odd hours
>kill yourself
>>
>>992541
Yeah me too. That industry is just brutal. It's hard to make any serious money unless you own a chunk of the business.
>>
>wfh
>middleware administrator

I am essentially an IT fireman, get called in when shit hits the fan. Some days are busy, some are not. Rarely stressful.
>>
>>993275
No way, Market is penetration is less than 1%. Solar will peak in 10+ years
>>
File: comfy.jpg (79KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
79KB, 409x409px
>>991690
My right hand moves in such a way that instead of shitty scribbles, decent drawings appear in a photoshop canvas

Freelance concept artist / illustrator, and light game designer/"ideas guy" with some repeat clients since they seem to like my ideas.

I work from home, whenever I want. Sometimes I take a week "off" and do jackshit, then crunch my commission within 2 days. They usually give me X days to do the job and I have liberty on how I spend that time. For new clients I work as fast as possible though to leave a good impression.

Pay is irregular and varies wildly depending on what I take. But I like to work in spurs so that I have enough money to not work at all for a couple of months at a time. It was a lot of work when I started and pay was shit (I didn't even sign contracts when I got out of uni for the first couple years, just trusted everyone else, thankfuly nothing bad happened), but then I got better at drawing and my workflow also improved, what I did in 5-7 hours I can do in 1 now

Sometimes I feel like I'm robbing my clients. I once got ~2000€ for an icon that took me a couple of hours to iterate on and finish, then 1 minute more to vectorize it. I also recieve 5% from every merch with my icon from that webstore.

best thing is that the standard of living on my country is very cheap, so I can go by with almost nothing.

If I didn't know how to draw I'd have no clue what to do and probably be like >>991763
>>
File: bigboss.gif (995KB, 257x194px) Image search: [Google]
bigboss.gif
995KB, 257x194px
>>991690

Lab Technician in Academia. Depending on your lab, shit is laid back as fuck. I get in every morning between 9:30 and 10:30 (still before most people in our lab) and usually ditch out between 3 and 4. There are heavier days where I do a full eight and I almost always have to come in 1-2 hours on saturday but I still would say I rarely make it to a full forty hours.

What I really like is that they don't really track sick/vacation days. I take a day or two off every month when I've got a lul in work in addition to a week or two around christmas and another week or two in summer. Feels good.
>>
>>991690
>Financial Analyst
>52k per year
>unlimited vacation/work from home

Act like you know what you're doing and everyone believes you. I've worked about 30 hours in the past two weeks. All my shit gets done and nobody asks questions. Occasionally send a report or analysis late at night to some random VP and copy my boss so he thinks I didn't finish it 6 hours earlier and that I busted my ass all night doing it.
>>
>>993261
Wouldn't the energy companies just go to the homeowners? what do they need you for?
>>
>>993791

what a bunch of bullony
>>
>>993261
How would one get into this type of work?
>>
>>991830

how'd you get into that?
>>
>>991690
Mainframe programmer. I'm actually "working" from home right now.
>>
>>993922
You have no idea.

Some artists make a living purely out of Patreon. But I don't have any relevant social media presence to open one, not am I interested in that headache.

What's so hard to believe? I'll be sure to explain your points of contention.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.